PDA

View Full Version : With the 12 overall pick,

mgpretzel
01-17-2005, 04:19 PM
I now most of you will say a FS or DE. I feel the same way but who? I don't follow collage to well so untill they start talking about the draft on ESPN, I have no clue about anyone.

Please tell me who we should draft and WHY thaey are worth drafting.

boltz21forlife
01-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Braylon Edwards....I know, I know, he does not feel a need, but a this guy has superstar potential. He could become a game changing WR for the bolts. Great size, good leaping ability, knows how to go after the ball and isn't bad after the catch. I think he slightly ahead of Mike Williams because he does have better speed. The only knock on him though is his character issues.

If it were my decision I would go after Derrick Johnson, who I believe will be spectacular in a 3-4 (LB from Texas)

wikimama
01-17-2005, 06:40 PM
I think Derrick Johnson from Texas will fall to us. If the Raiders don't take him he will fall to us. Braylon Edwards and Mike Williaks will be long gone before the Bolts pick. DJ does't fit a need but he is a great player.

Thunderstruck
01-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by: wikimama
I think Derrick Johnson from Texas will fall to us. If the Raiders don't take him he will fall to us. Braylon Edwards and Mike Williaks will be long gone before the Bolts pick. DJ does't fit a need but he is a great player.

I could envision the Bolts taking DJ if he's there...as a luxury pick...and then taking a "need" position later in the round. I think it's all going to depend on who drops. With the #12 pick, it's going to be awfully hard to justify taking a "need" position if there's a phenom sitting there at another position.

crazyman33
01-17-2005, 07:03 PM

DJ would be filling a need. lbs are always a need in the 3-4. Godfrys almost done. Donnies not gettin any younger. He could be the cornerstone of the defense for years to come.

Rip
01-17-2005, 07:08 PM
If Derrick Johnson, antrel rolle, Braylon Edwards, or mike williams are available, then we have to take them, if not we should take Thomas Davis, im really hoping to get him, a BIG safety in the roy williams mold

Thunderstruck
01-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by: crazyman33

DJ would be filling a need. lbs are always a need in the 3-4. Godfrys almost done. Donnies not gettin any younger. He could be the cornerstone of the defense for years to come.

I think you're right...but I wouldn't look at DJ as a "need" position because he probably wouldn't start next season. Maybe he would--Marty has started rookie LBs before (ref. Ben Leber) but we have a couple positions that are ready to be filled immediately...that's what I think of as a "need" position.

foty89
01-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by: boltz21forlife
Braylon Edwards....I know, I know, he does not feel a need, but a this guy has superstar potential. He could become a game changing WR for the bolts. Great size, good leaping ability, knows how to go after the ball and isn't bad after the catch. I think he slightly ahead of Mike Williams because he does have better speed. The only knock on him though is his character issues.

If it were my decision I would go after Derrick Johnson, who I believe will be spectacular in a 3-4 (LB from Texas)

You know the Colts have play making wide receivers and they just got spanked because their defense was not up to par.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

crazyman33
01-17-2005, 07:21 PM
if godfrey retires do u think the position becomes a need? Who else would start next year? Matt wilhelm? Zeke Moreno? Shaun Phillips wouldnt be good at ILB. so ya its not a "need desperately" pick. but if godfrey retires then it might.

mgpretzel
01-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Godfrey isn't gonna retire this year he might next. He said that if he had won the Super Bowl this year he might have. But if the LB your talking about is that good, and he is there we should get him.

What about the LB from SDSU? He's really really good too!

Thunderstruck
01-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by: mgpretzel
Godfrey isn't gonna retire this year he might next. He said that if he had won the Super Bowl this year he might have. But if the LB your talking about is that good, and he is there we should get him.

What about the LB from SDSU? He's really really good too!

Kirk Morrison is projected as a late second/ early third round pick. For now. A lot changes after the combines. We won't really have a solid idea of how guys rate until after that. For example: If Morrison goes to the combines and clocks a 4.6 forty-time, his stock will suddenly increase because it'll turn out he's faster than people thought. If Mike Williams goes to the combine and clocks 4.8 in the forty, he will probably drop like the Titanic.

Not saying that'll happen...just giving some examples.

supachargers
01-17-2005, 08:42 PM
what's the deal with pac man jones? i heard he runs a 4.2 and mel kiper is in love with the guy

isaic16
01-17-2005, 09:02 PM
If we were to get Derrick Johnson, Most people would indicate he will probably be on the outside (the right decision IMO). However, as it is Godfrey that would be replaced, would it be possible to move Leber inside to replace him, and have Johnson start in Leber's spot, or would he be undersized?

LTMvP61nizine
01-17-2005, 11:03 PM
I say we draft a fs with the 12th pick and the second draft a DE. We dont need any WR until next years draft and chargers might get another 1st rounder if drew perform like he did in 2004. I just dont see drew being back in 2006 because of PR. I think chargers franchise him again and trade him thats what I think.

mgpretzel
01-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by: LTMvP61nizine
I say we draft a fs with the 12th pick and the second draft a DE. We dont need any WR until next years draft and chargers might get another 1st rounder if drew perform like he did in 2004. I just dont see drew being back in 2006 because of PR. I think chargers franchise him again and trade him thats what I think.

Who would you draft for FS????

hegor
01-18-2005, 10:17 AM
We should get Alex Smith.

Since getting Rivers helped Drew improve, if we get another QB to challenge Drew then Drew will smoke Mannings records in 2005!

Yeah dumb. Seriously, time to get the secondary beefed up.

mrazdj
01-22-2005, 08:00 PM
I do not think that Derrick Johnson will be there past the top 8. I am a huge Oklahoma fan, and I am glad that he is leaving. He is an incredible talent. He is a fast as anyone on the field, and always makes huge plays in big games. He forced a fumble and had an INT agianst us this past year, to go along with 16 tackles. If for some reason he falls to 12, we should not even think twice. He is a rare talent, and probably the best overall athlete in the draft.

III21III
01-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Braylon is good but we need a safty. he will get picked up in the top 10 anyways so we will have no chance to get him and his character issuse is a good thing for us he will bring the media.More people would watch him play because they want to see what he would do kinda what T.O. dose for Philly

REDZONEFOOTBALL
01-24-2005, 04:48 PM
One thing Jerry Wilson DOES do well is run the secondary. I do not think we should have a rookie calling plays back there. So either fill the safety spot via free agency, or put someone back there that already knows whats going on (Jammer/Hart). Draft lineman or linbebacker

chrisx448
01-24-2005, 07:05 PM
PERFECT #12 PICK

Shawne Marriman... this guy is crazy, he is 6'4 245lbs and he has a 41" vertical. yes thats right i said a 41" vertical. HE is the perfect fit for OLB in a 3-4 scheme and will provide us much needed help in pass rushing with his outstanding athleticism, speed, and strength. i like ben leber a lot but this guy can do everything, he is a virtually unstopable pass rusher, and he has the speed to cover a WR and the vertical to get some pass break-ups. I say we draft him, then a corner next and with our 2nd round a DE.

kiwibolt
01-24-2005, 08:53 PM
!

How about Cooper? He's 2nd on the depth chart at both inside LB spots right now. I thought he was impressive in preseason

kiwibolt
01-24-2005, 08:55 PM
it might sound like a reach right now, but after the combine I think Shaun Cody from USC is going to be a steal at #12. The kid has the tools to be EXACTLY what we need at DE in the 3-4 and has the athleticism to easily play DT or DE if we ever switch back to a 4-3

Boltneck
01-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by: foty89

Originally posted by: boltz21forlife

You know the Colts have play making wide receivers and they just got spanked because their defense was not up to par.

Go Bolts!

WHAT?????

They only Scored 3 points. Their defense would have had to pitch a shutout to win that game. Their offense Choked plain and simple. Their Defense was good enough to win that game had the offense played better and had edge played more/better.

Boltneck
01-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by: REDZONEFOOTBALL
One thing Jerry Wilson DOES do well is run the secondary. I do not think we should have a rookie calling plays back there. So either fill the safety spot via free agency, or put someone back there that already knows whats going on (Jammer/Hart). Draft lineman or linbebacker

He did good calling the secondary?

Funny here i thought we had the 31st ranked pass defense and we gave up more big plays in the passing game than *any* other team.

Boltneck
01-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Guys, Bottom line we need a WR First. If a total Stud is not available then go Defense.

Our secondary would be better served by adding FA's not More Rookies.

Tomlinson21
01-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by: Boltneck
Guys, Bottom line we need a WR First. If a total Stud is not available then go Defense.

I agree with you on the secondary..but as far as a big time receiver...unless we all didn't see the KC game...that #13 fella is pretty good. He has speed and physically could be your WR prototype. I am very surprised we're mentioning WR as our #1, though. IMO, the combination of speedsters: McCardell, Caldwell and Parker is awesome. Add Gates into the mix...and we have a great core of receivers already. Oh and don't forget about our all purpose back who can run and catch. Why get a WR?

Anybody seen Larry Fitzgerald in the Cardinals headlines last year...Nope! How about Givens, Branch and Brown...I hope you've heard of them because they're a group of "no name" WR's playing for the defending Champs at the big dance in Jax. You don't need big time wide receiver in this team.

Defense wins you championships....you hold the opposing teams offense and you win games. You put a Harrison, Stokley and Wayne combined with a Peyton Manning: you have a high octane offense but what does your D do? You're D will stink because you can't control the clock because the game becomes a TD shootout and your D has to play on the field longer.

I llike Defense as our focus. I want that Cody guy from SC or a big time free agent safety. I think our offense is already set. Let's get our pass D a psuh this year, shall we?

rube12
01-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Guys, I think a great fit for the 3-4 defense would be Dan Cody from OU. He's a mirror image of the old Kevin Greene when he played for the Steelers. However, I also agree that Shaun Cody is a STUD and would be a complete STUD in this D. I think Derrick Johnson is a really, really good player, but I just believe that he's more of a fit for a 4-3 Defense. He needs more help up front to keep the lineman off of him so he can make the play.

HeadTrip
01-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by: Tomlinson21

Originally posted by: Boltneck

I agree with you on the secondary..but as far as a big time receiver...unless we all didn't see the KC game...that #13 fella is pretty good. He has speed and physically could be your WR prototype. I am very surprised we're mentioning WR as our #1, though. IMO, the combination of speedsters: McCardell, Caldwell and Parker is awesome. Add Gates into the mix...and we have a great core of receivers already. Oh and don't forget about our all purpose back who can run and catch. Why get a WR?

Anybody seen Larry Fitzgerald in the Cardinals headlines last year...Nope! How about Givens, Branch and Brown...I hope you've heard of them because they're a group of "no name" WR's playing for the defending Champs at the big dance in Jax. You don't need big time wide receiver in this team.

Defense wins you championships....you hold the opposing teams offense and you win games. You put a Harrison, Stokley and Wayne combined with a Peyton Manning: you have a high octane offense but what does your D do? You're D will stink because you can't control the clock because the game becomes a TD shootout and your D has to play on the field longer.

I llike Defense as our focus. I want that Cody guy from SC or a big time free agent safety. I think our offense is already set. Let's get our pass D a psuh this year, shall we?

D should be our focus, but if the best Dplayer on the board isnt as good as, say, Mike Williams who might be there at 12, then it would be dumb not to draft MW unless the coaches know somthing I dont aobut our WR. Kmac is old, EP is a servicable #2, Reche is a giant ? because of that knee, Os has shown potential, but he is still a ?, Dwight blows, we dont know a thing about Floyd.

lca9900
01-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Get someone who fits our needs. I agree that I would use the FA market to shore up our secondary. After our DBs are all basically 2nd and 3rd year players last season. I would use the draft for the DL, LB and OL. But if a Williams or Edwards was to drop to 12 I would use the pick on them.

smlman2
01-25-2005, 12:43 PM
i hope DJ. but if not i say they take spears or cody.

chrisx448
01-25-2005, 05:25 PM
either DJ or Merriman both would be great, i think Merriman would fit better in our scheme. they guy is a monster in the pass rush. he reminds me a lot of terrel suggs just a little more athletic. Since there is no great FS's in this years draft i think we should get one of them. i think a DE would be too high to take at #12, maybe with the second 1st round we will get a DE or the second round pick.

oneofakind
01-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Mike Williams-WR-USC
No worries, he is a stud and because of his year off, he will be around at #12

With #28, Shaun Cody-DE-USC
Face it, we need a pass rusher

bluegold81
01-25-2005, 06:51 PM
that sound like a best case senario, oneofa kind, what would we do if we had 3, 1st round picks?

mgpretzel
01-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by: kiwibolt

!

How about Cooper? He's 2nd on the depth chart at both inside LB spots right now. I thought he was impressive in preseason

I love cooper but the way that guy was talking about that LB....He sounded really really good

kiwibolt
01-25-2005, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by: kiwibolt

!

I love cooper but the way that guy was talking about that LB....He sounded really really good

If he was talking about Johnson from UT, he is a stud. Fast and makes plays. He's a bit underweight for a LB in a 4-3, so he might be just what the chargers want in an outside LB in the 3-4. I still think that Foley and Phillips will give us the pass rush off the corners we need. I want a DE somewhere in the 1st round....if they go with Johnson, I wouldn't be disappointed though, he is a physical specimen.

rrogers
01-26-2005, 12:59 AM
Williams USC ?????????????

boltsfan1973
01-26-2005, 01:36 AM
everyone is talking aobut using both picks but i wouldnt be shocked to see a trade down, get a couple extra mid round picks, a DE included and save some signing bonus money to pursue soem established free agents, j. abraham, p. burress, etc. if they keep it i would love to have braylon edwards and marcus spears with the 2 picks.

rrogers
01-26-2005, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by: boltsfan1973
everyone is talking aobut using both picks but i wouldnt be shocked to see a trade down, get a couple extra mid round picks, a DE included and save some signing bonus money to pursue soem established free agents, j. abraham, p. burress, etc. if they keep it i would love to have braylon edwards and marcus spears with the 2 picks.

Leave Abraham out of this, that guy has no teamwork in his blood.

oneofakind
01-26-2005, 01:20 PM
depends on where in the first round theat 3rd one is. If it is in between our two, we would use that one on Cody and the third on an OT, like Jamal Brown-Oklahoma or Alex Barron-Florida St. if he is still there.

ChargerChuckster
01-26-2005, 02:01 PM
If we don't trade up to the top 10 (BLUE-CHIP PROSPECTS), I'd trade down and stock pile picks. Remember we still have #28. Of our rookie starters, all weren't chosen in the first round but all performed excellently (IGOR/KAEDING/HARDWICK/OLIVEA/PHILLIPS). There will be many second tier players that we can pick up... Don't get anamored with the BIG NAMES on Mel Kiper's top 10 list or 2005 MOCK DRAFTS. AJ will pick the REAL football players, the URLACHERS and JASON TAYLORS of the world... And they won't break the bank on long holdouts, which we are prone to do with #1 picks. AJ can use the money he saved on CAPSPACE towards hopefully in-house players (SIGN EDWARDS LONGTERM!!!) before he goes out to spend $$$ elsewhere... But on only FOOTBALL players that can contribute & want to be here...

ChargerChuckster
01-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Now, if we keep the picks this is who I'd like:

#12 ANTTAJ HAWTHHORNE, DT, Wisconsin. A monster against the run) or DERRICK JOHNSON, OLB, Texas. Runs with a high motor, see RAY LEWIS...

#28 JAMMAL BROWN, OT, Oklahoma. Could be the heir apparent to OBEN?

#61 CHRIS HENRY, WR, West Virginia. A playmaker that can take over the game & returns PUNT, too!!!

NO 3rd pick sent to TB for McCARDELL

4th round CHRIS KEMOEATU*, OG, UTAH. The heir apparent to GOFF, an EARTHMOVER. Cut from the same mold as FONOTI (It must be the POI)

5th round VINCENT JACKSON*, WR, UAB (6'6" 235, HUGE - A cut from the same mold as M. WILLIAMS but not as POLISHED)

* if still available

smlman2
01-27-2005, 09:52 AM
12. mike williams- will fall acording to mel kiper jr. and will be a great reciever. we dont necessarilly need a WR but if he drops we should take him unless DJ falls too.

27. marcus spears- we need a pass rush and generally you build your trenches in the draft so this would be a solid pick at 27

61. kirk morrison- has a great motor and plays with great enthusiasm. palyed at the Q with SDSU. had an awesome career and probally could have came out last year as a junior and gone first day. he will drop because SDSU didnt go far this season.

tdmasterz
01-27-2005, 10:47 AM
12. Derrick Johnson- strong and has a lot heart. He is not the fastest LB but hell add a lot of presnence to the defense.

28. Chris Canty- He might not be the most talked about DE in the draft being from UVA but he would be a great addition for the 3-4. He is a consistent pass rusher and can get into the backfield quikly and make big plays. He will be a beast and will be under the radar.

RMANCIL
01-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by: rube12
Guys, I think a great fit for the 3-4 defense would be Dan Cody from OU. He's a mirror image of the old Kevin Greene when he played for the Steelers. However, I also agree that Shaun Cody is a STUD and would be a complete STUD in this D. I think Derrick Johnson is a really, really good player, but I just believe that he's more of a fit for a 4-3 Defense. He needs more help up front to keep the lineman off of him so he can make the play.

I think Johnson would have to play inside with his size, some also think he could go to ss.
Dan Cody would be a great addition. As a OLB he fits real well and would jazz the pass rush and would also add depth to the dl on passing downs if they swich into a 4-3 front in dime or nickle sets.

VikeFan
01-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Deal your 2 #'1s and J. Fletcher to Minnesota for WR R. Moss. It will increase the threat of your TE (IF that's even possible) and give you someone to throw the ball to. I know I know......you have Mccardell and Parker. BUT......Mccardell ONLY puts up staggering numbers if he is a teams #2 guy. Jax behind J. Smith and TB behind Keyshawn. That would allow you to have the speedy Parker as your 3 and could put up great #'s. (Nothing like Stokley however) Franchise Brees........then sign him to a long term deal. He deserves it. The drafting of (Eli?) Rivers worked out in your favor because of the additional draft choices. Kudos to your GM! However, I don't feel Rivers was the man you should have went after. Sean Taylor could have helped tremendously! I also think your staff didn't allow Brees enough time to grow and mature. Trade QB Rivers to.........Green Bay. Get what you can. I'd say whatever draft choice you can get for him. It appears as though your front office has an eye for young talent. You're offense would be more than set with Brees, Moss, Mccardell, Parker, and Gates. Tomlinson has greatness all around him (allowing him to play a few years longer not getting hit so often) Other than that, use the rest of your draft looking for solid backups. The LB from UVA maybe? Not sure if he'd last until the 2nd round and fall to you guys or not. Then again, the trade with Green Bay may open that up.

Just my opinion......as a football fan. Though I do cheer for the Vikes. I'm fed up with the over talented and the equally immature Moss. I will give him this though, even though he still takes plays off from time to time. He has become a much better blocker. Baby steps I guess.

What do you Bolt fans think?

TrumpetDude
01-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by: VikeFan
Deal your 2 #'1s and J. Fletcher to Minnesota for WR R. Moss. It will increase the threat of your TE (IF that's even possible) and give you someone to throw the ball to. I know I know......you have Mccardell and Parker. BUT......Mccardell ONLY puts up staggering numbers if he is a teams #2 guy. Jax behind J. Smith and TB behind Keyshawn. That would allow you to have the speedy Parker as your 3 and could put up great #'s. (Nothing like Stokley however) Franchise Brees........then sign him to a long term deal. He deserves it. The drafting of (Eli?) Rivers worked out in your favor because of the additional draft choices. Kudos to your GM! However, I don't feel Rivers was the man you should have went after. Sean Taylor could have helped tremendously! I also think your staff didn't allow Brees enough time to grow and mature. Trade QB Rivers to.........Green Bay. Get what you can. I'd say whatever draft choice you can get for him. It appears as though your front office has an eye for young talent. You're offense would be more than set with Brees, Moss, Mccardell, Parker, and Gates. Tomlinson has greatness all around him (allowing him to play a few years longer not getting hit so often) Other than that, use the rest of your draft looking for solid backups. The LB from UVA maybe? Not sure if he'd last until the 2nd round and fall to you guys or not. Then again, the trade with Green Bay may open that up.

Just my opinion......as a football fan. Though I do cheer for the Vikes. I'm fed up with the over talented and the equally immature Moss. I will give him this though, even though he still takes plays off from time to time. He has become a much better blocker. Baby steps I guess.

First, I suspect Moss will have a full on melt down once he sees Brees' deep post.

Second, Moss does not fit the personality for our team. Moss brings too much "me" baggage and our GM is not about making the big free agent splash and massive signing bonus'. It is highly unlikely Moss will ever end up in San Diego.

Rivers will not be traded as our GM has stated this already. If someone offers a can't miss deal, then anyone is subject to a trade. Short of winning the Super Bowl in 2005 season, I see Brees being traded and tapping the potential the coaching staff sees in Philip Rivers.

Brees will be franchised tagged and I suspect we will solicit mega offers for Brees. If nothing shakes out in the marketplace, the Chargers can afford the cap hit to keep Brees for 2005.

Shamrock
01-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Deal your 2 #'1s and J. Fletcher to Minnesota for WR R. Moss.

I'm fed up with the over talented and the equally immature Moss.

If I was the Chargers brass I'd tell you to cut him, and then let him get purchased in FA. If David Boston was only worth one 5th rounder, then Moss is only worth one 3rd rounder.

Too much baggage. Let him stay up in Iglooland and keep running over cops there. We don't want him in San Diego.

foty89
01-28-2005, 10:49 PM

Thanks, but we will keep our picks. We don't need that thing on this team. Even if he was free, he would cost too much.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

RMANCIL
01-29-2005, 02:13 AM
I think the key to the Bolts is a roster that gets along and I think the tone is set by LT.

Moss would expect to be the top bannna and would hammer his teamates, the club has been there done that with Boston.

Look at the Vikes all that talent and they fail year after year. I will vote to keep the weak armed short one with the great tude and surround him with some more talent.

crazyman33
01-29-2005, 09:18 AM
12. Derrick Johnson- strong and has a lot heart. He is not the fastest LB but hell add a lot of presnence to the defense.

actually, derrick johnson is helluva fast lb. he runs a 4.5 or somethin.

broncossuck7
01-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Moss is NOT a team player. He cares about HIMSELF and his paycheck. Not the record of the team. We should draft Braylon edwards. Big time WR. Also does anyone know freddy Ginn Jr. ON OSU (buckeyes)
this guy is great and he returns punts. With a Wr we draft a CB with our second 1ST rounder.

hungrykid1
01-29-2005, 07:14 PM
ted ginn jr wont ber coming out for a while because he is a freshman

ChargerChuckster
02-01-2005, 02:56 AM
[quote]
Deal your 2 #'1s and J. Fletcher to Minnesota for WR R. Moss.

Now, I know why R. MOSS walked off the field with 5 seconds left in the game... Because of comments like that... How about this proposal? SEAU, McINTOSH, BOSTON, BALL, a 7th round pick, our sunshine & 72 degree weather? Oops, you must mistaken us as MIAMI...

urlacher54
02-05-2005, 07:05 PM
draft thomas davis

innersoulevents
02-05-2005, 08:18 PM
draft thomas davis