PDA

View Full Version : Mark Clayton video

Rip
01-18-2005, 12:44 PM
I never really thought to much about him being a charger next year, but wow, this guy would look great in blue and gold. Just look at his run after catch ability, its unbelievable.

I dont care that he is only 5-11 and 185-190, how big is Steve Smith? Lavurenace Coles?

http://www.nmnathletics.com/vi...VBX.20031107162659.wmv (http://www.nmnathletics.com/video2/VGOLHTFXJBTOVBX.20031107162659.wmv)

ragdex240
01-18-2005, 02:04 PM
do you got any highlights from the Championship game against USC? or did he even get any ?

Thunderstruck
01-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by: Rip
I never really thought to much about him being a charger next year, but wow, this guy would look great in blue and gold. Just look at his run after catch ability, its unbelievable.

I dont care that he is only 5-11 and 185-190, how big is Steve Smith? Lavurenace Coles?

http://www.nmnathletics.com/vi...VBX.20031107162659.wmv (http://www.nmnathletics.com/video2/VGOLHTFXJBTOVBX.20031107162659.wmv)

Good vid. I made this point right before the Orange Bowl...I think Clayton would fit in great with Brees' short-passing abilities. He could likely be a very good kick and/or punt returner for us and even if he takes some time learning to get open as a receiver, we can still use him on reverses and end-arounds and some of those other plays that Cam likes where you get the ball to a receiver near the LoS and ask him to make the first tackler miss. And I think eventually he will become an Isaac Bruce-type receiver. I like him a lot, and I think he will definitely be there at 12, and could possibly fall to our second-first rounder...though that would kinda surprise me.

Thunderstruck
01-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Just watched the vid again. I like everything about him. He has great hands and he actually catches with his hands rather than waiting for the ball to nestle in his chest. Looks like awesome balance and cut-back ability--kinda reminds me of LT in that regard--and look at the acceleration once he makes up his mind where to run! He is definitely a "run-after-catch" nightmare, but he also makes the catches downfield.

I've read that he will clock in the 4.4 to 4.45 range for speed, which is fine. He looks like the complete package to me. He was double covered by almost every team that the Sooners played this year. I'll bet you that he learns how to get open in the NFL more quickly because of that.

He is definitely a talent. He might be worth an early pick. I thought three weeks ago that he is probably the safest pick of the three "big-name" receivers. If the Bolts selected him #12, I would not complain.

wikimama
01-18-2005, 02:31 PM
The Bolts should draft him or Miami's Roscoe Parrish to replace Tim Dwight.

Thunderstruck
01-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by: wikimama
The Bolts should draft him or Miami's Roscoe Parrish to replace Tim Dwight.

He could probably be much more effective than Dwight as a returner, but he's ranks on most draft boards right up there with Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams. The only knock on him is that he's 5'11, and not 6'2 or taller. But a LOT of great receivers in this league are around his height, and he's well-built--more like a smallish running back. It's not like he's 5'11 and 175 lbs. He's a legitimate NFL-caliber athlete.

He's already twice the wide receiver that TD ever has been. I would wager that if you take Dwight's best season as a receiver, Clayton could blow that away as a rookie.

beaumac
01-18-2005, 06:06 PM
I dont feel like Clayton or Parrish are worthy of a first round pick. They arent real game breaker types, I see them being more like Sanatana Moss, an outstanding #2 or #3 - so its really hard to justify taking a guy like that with a #1 pick.

wikimama
01-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Roscoe in the second round.

Rip
01-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by: beaumac
I dont feel like Clayton or Parrish are worthy of a first round pick. They arent real game breaker types, I see them being more like Sanatana Moss, an outstanding #2 or #3 - so its really hard to justify taking a guy like that with a #1 pick.

Clayton is easily worth a #1. He has GREAT hands, great speed and is a great route runner. I hate this saying, but its true here, if he was 6-1+ he would be a top 10 pick. His sytle is perfect for our offense.

As for Parrish, i thought he was a 3rd rounder at best, i never ever thought anyone like kiper would list him as a #1. I wouldnt mind him in the 2nd if we got a DE and S either during FA or in the 1st

TRUiceman
01-19-2005, 01:05 AM
ummm....sorry to say but santana moss is a #1 reciever....hes had an off year this year but came on strong at the end of the year...i think roscoe parrish might be a #2 at best reciever and maybe a carrer returner but i see clayton being a very good reciever in a couple years.....maybe never a#1 but he defenitly has skills that defenisve backs would have to think about

conair103
01-20-2005, 02:32 PM
i like him, he goes up and gets the ball which is impressive, and his breaking tackle ability reminds me of terry vaughn(if you know who he is ill give you a dollar jk) id like seeing him in charger blue

REDZONEFOOTBALL
01-20-2005, 11:26 PM
That video was good. Has Clayton declared for the draft? Because he is not in Kipers 1st round??

kiwibolt
01-23-2005, 03:16 AM
impressive highlight reel. The thing I like the most is that I never once saw him get up and thump his chest or showboat. Every TD was celebrated by handing the ball to the official. Dude looks to be all business. Not to mention he's got great burst and pretty amazing vision in traffic and in the open field. I still want defensive help, but he's a good one and I might not scream and yell as much if they get a guy like him.i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

rube12
01-24-2005, 07:32 AM
Guys, I can tell you from watching this kid for 4 years at OU that he's on helluva receiver. He's a very humble person and one of the most respected Sooners to ever wear Crimson and Cream. He may only be 5'11", but there's not a receiver in the league right now that fights as much for his team as Mark would. He fights for every jump ball and every inch of turf and that's what makes him so special, his drive to succed and his love for the game. I would LOVE it if the Chargers picked him up and I have no doubt in my mind that he would make everyone in San Diego proud to have him as a Charger.

kiwibolt
01-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Rube,
Good to know about Clayton. I think that IF we go with a WR, we can't really miss with either Williams, Edwards or Clayton. They're all outstanding.

Boltneck
01-26-2005, 09:51 AM
He is not very fast, looks like he was getting cought from behind a whole lot. He is shifty and catches well but he is to small i think. We already have Eric Parker who is the same kind of receiver.

It would not be the end of the world but we need a Solid #1 receiver. At least 6'2 and 200 pounds imo with hands and speed.

Thunderstruck
01-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by: Boltneck
He is not very fast, looks like he was getting cought from behind a whole lot. He is shifty and catches well but he is to small i think. We already have Eric Parker who is the same kind of receiver.

It would not be the end of the world but we need a Solid #1 receiver. At least 6'2 and 200 pounds imo with hands and speed.

What video were you watching? I saw him get "caught from behind" twcie, and both times it was because he started moving laterally to make a guy in front of him miss. And he's built much sturdier than Parker--more like a really fast running-back. The only thing he lacks is height, but height ain't everything.

BigBadBolt
01-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Clayton came up short at the Senior bowl measurements....Everyone had hoped he'd be 5'11", but alas, he only came in at 5'9". He's headed straight to the second round...He's an awesome talent, but at that height, he may be destined to play the slot...

Chargeroo
01-26-2005, 12:24 PM

How big was Wes Chandler? How about Duper at Miami? I could go on and on - WR's don't have to be big to be a number one, of course it's nice if they are but it's not necessary either. Clayton isn't at the top of my list of WR's but I do think he's the type of WR that does well in the NFL - good moves, good hands, and most of all a threat to go all the way with a five yard pass because he's very elusive. He's been timed in 4:45 so he's plenty fast enough. He's played against some of the very best teams in college football for the last three years. I think he's a good prospect, although I hope our Chargers do not draft a WR early in this years draft. Our biggest needs are on defense.

Thunderstruck
01-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by: BigBadBolt
Clayton came up short at the Senior bowl measurements....Everyone had hoped he'd be 5'11", but alas, he only came in at 5'9". He's headed straight to the second round...He's an awesome talent, but at that height, he may be destined to play the slot...

Well, let me put it this way: If he's there when the Chargers pick in round 2, (and if the Chargers haven't already taken a receiver in round 1) then I think we've got to take him.

rube12
01-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Guys, Todd McShay on ESPN.com has said that Mark Clayton is the best player on the field so far during the Senior Bowl workouts.

Boltneck
01-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by: Chargeroo

How big was Wes Chandler? How about Duper at Miami? I could go on and on - WR's don't have to be big to be a number one, of course it's nice if they are but it's not necessary either. Clayton isn't at the top of my list of WR's but I do think he's the type of WR that does well in the NFL - good moves, good hands, and most of all a threat to go all the way with a five yard pass because he's very elusive. He's been timed in 4:45 so he's plenty fast enough. He's played against some of the very best teams in college football for the last three years. I think he's a good prospect, although I hope our Chargers do not draft a WR early in this years draft. Our biggest needs are on defense.

No, My point is that i think that the Chargers Team needs a different Kind of receiver. Especially if we keep Brees. Brees needs another fairly large target that can go up and get the ball. I Think Parker is already the "little guy who can catch anything". We need a Big Strong #1 guy.

ftwbolt
01-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by: rube12
Guys, I can tell you from watching this kid for 4 years at OU that he's on helluva receiver. He's a very humble person and one of the most respected Sooners to ever wear Crimson and Cream. He may only be 5'11", but there's not a receiver in the league right now that fights as much for his team as Mark would. He fights for every jump ball and every inch of turf and that's what makes him so special, his drive to succed and his love for the game. I would LOVE it if the Chargers picked him up and I have no doubt in my mind that he would make everyone in San Diego proud to have him as a Charger.

I have to echo what rube12 has said. Mark is a player maker, and yes he is eveybit of 5'11" because I got close enough to him after the OU- tecas game at the Cotton Bowl. Have said this before-that Mark watches Game film with the QB's and knows the Offense as well as the QB's and OC.
I know this from radio interviews and newspaper article's.

If he is the best player available at 12 or 28 then there should be little argument.
But having said that, this team still need studs at DL -1st OL 2nd or vice-versa.