PDA

View Full Version : Cash in 1st rounders for 2nd this year and 1 next?

Boltfreek
01-19-2005, 05:29 PM
I don't have all the Kiper insight but I do know that we are deveolping a knack for spotting
real talent regardless of the round.
With that said, given whatever this draft has to offer, and possibly next year's draft,
would anyone see us trading a 1st rounder to stockpile later picks this year or
higher picks next year?

For example, a 1st rounder for a team's 2nd rounder and 5th rounder this year
or
A 1st rounder for a 3rd rounder this year and that team's first rounder next year?

I guess what I want to know is if this draft is that deep and secondly,
what is next year's draft supposed to look like?

HBBoltFan
01-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Those scenarios work except I think you need to ask for more in return for a 1st rounder. If you could trade the 2nd #1 for a 2005 2nd and a 2006 1st I mignt look at that. Or maybe trade the 12th pick for a later #1 and a #2 or maybe a #3 if a guy that is targeted falls into that slot. AJ has done great with the non #1 picks but he should still make sure he gets value for any #1 traded.

Rip
01-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Why not get a 2nd this year and a 1st next year for our second #1 like the cowboys did last year?

JoeMcRugby
01-19-2005, 05:45 PM
I see a real possibility of trading the #12 pick if it would be a reach to select a DE or OLB at that spot, but the price you've listed is WAY too low.

For Dallas' first rounder in 2004 (22nd pick overall), Buffalo gave up their 2nd and 5th round picks in 2004 AND their first round pick in 2005.

If they trade the 12, I'd look at them looking to slide down near the 20s, get an additional pick (2nd round or so) and still get their DE that they want. Others have put out names that may be available around the 20ish pick (Cody, Spears) who in all probability won't be there at 28.

Gaucho
01-19-2005, 05:51 PM
I agree with both of you. I have been writing about this all afternoon. I could see them trading both picks to stock pile more picks. They could trade #28 for someone's second and third. I could also see trading #12 to drop back in the first round. This has been AJ's trend. He has always traded down to get more picks. In the past two drafts, AJ has had at least one pick in every round. And every pick has made the team except Carlos Joseph. And every pick has contributed. That is what the NFL is about. It's about building through the draft and making every pick count.

Besides, a second round pick is just as good if not better than a first round pick. And they are cheaper. And they don't hold out. Chargers have a hard time getting their first rounders in camp on time. For example, Florence and Davis. Florence is better, he starts, he makes less money, and he did not hold out.

JoeMcRugby
01-19-2005, 05:55 PM
It all depends who is available. If someone like Johnson slides down to 12, they probably keep the pick.

Or if Spears or Cody is available at the 28 pick, then they keep it.

Just examples, but with two first round picks, AJ holds the cards to go in the direction to best utilize the picks.

And AJ's a hell of a card player. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Gaucho
01-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby
It all depends who is available. If someone like Johnson slides down to 12, they probably keep the pick.

Or if Spears or Cody is available at the 28 pick, then they keep it.

Just examples, but with two first round picks, AJ holds the cards to go in the direction to best utilize the picks.

And AJ's a hell of a card player.

I agree with you. I think that AJ holds all of the cards. I trust any decision that he makes. I am a big fan of AJ Smith. I have studied the past seven drafts of the Chargers, and AJ has done the best job. Last year was a fluke. I was suppose to be the push year for the Chargers. AJ has a plan, and it's working.

Boltfreek
01-19-2005, 06:27 PM
But, doesn't the value of the picks depend on the general perception of the
GM's of those year's draft grades?
Of course I want us to get the most for our picks but is this projected to
be a better draft than next year? If AJ sees some serious talent coming out
next year, could he give one first rounder for next years 1st rounder and an
additional pick?
Dallas may have recieved nice compensation for thier pick as someone else
noted but what was that picks "value" that year compared to following year?
You know these guys do thier research on this stuff.

Would it be a smart move for us to manuever? Maybe there is only
good value in the 1st 20 picks in this years draft and we stay put or
next year's draft is supposed to be "weak".

I'm just ANXIOUS and excited that we're in a good spot for the draft and
love to see other opinions and info that could be a potential move for us.

TrumpetDude
01-20-2005, 12:59 AM
I think this is a worthy idea. This years draft has some talent in rounds two. There are a few guards and tackles available here.

I am all about getting the fat boys up front for the next two drafts. Our lines need better talent and quality depth. This is where the war is won and lost.

I do not want to groom a WR, CB or Safety in this draft. Start #42 Clinton Hart at FS. This dude is the answer at that position in my fan book. Get your skilled dudes in FA (WR, Safety,CB).

We need a defensive end pass rushing nightmare. A Julius Peppers adding 10 pounds would float my boat at DE for the Bolts. I believe he is a RFA and would require a minimum of a First and Third as compensation for his tender (I am not sure here if he is a RFA). I would part with a first and third rounder this year to get this cat if possible. Our defense would be quite a sight I would imagine.

JoeMcRugby
01-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Here are the free agents as listed by The Red Zone:

Player Status 2004 Team 2005 Team
Shaun Ellis UFA Jets
John Abraham UFA Jets
Bryan Robinson UFA Dolphins
Demetrin Veal ERFA Ravens
Marques Douglass UFA Ravens
Felip Claybrookes ERFA Browns
Tyrone Rogers UFA Browns
Eric Taylor ERFA Steelers
Brett Keisel RFA Steelers
Corey Sears UFA Texans
Raheem Brock UFA Colts
Rob Meier UFA Jaguars
Lionel Barnes UFA Jaguars
Jason Gildon UFA Jaguars
Shawn Johnson ERFA Titans
Carlos Hall RFA Titans
Bryant McNeal ERFA Broncos
Marco Coleman UFA Broncos
Reggie Hayward UFA Broncos
Anton Palepoi UFA Broncos
Bobby Hamilton UFA Raiders
Robert Pollard ERFA Chargers
Alex Brown RFA Bears
Aaron Kampman RFA Packers
Bryce Fisher UFA Rams
Erik Flowers UFA Rams
Kyle Vanden Bosch UFA Cardinals
Chike Okeafor UFA Seahawks
Brandon Mitchell UFA Seahawks
Karon Riley UFA Falcons
Kavika Pittman UFA Panthers
Tony Bryant UFA Saints
Darren Howard UFA Saints
Derrick Burgess UFA Eagles
Hugh Douglas UFA Eagles
Ron Warner ERFA Redskins
Demetric Evans RFA Redskins

I don't see Peppers on the list, and considering that he was the second pick of the 2002 draft, it's highly unlikely that he only signed a three-year deal.

Have to get the DE elsewhere. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

TrumpetDude
01-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby
Here are the free agents as listed by The Red Zone:

Player Status 2004 Team 2005 Team
Shaun Ellis UFA Jets
John Abraham UFA Jets
Bryan Robinson UFA Dolphins
Demetrin Veal ERFA Ravens
Marques Douglass UFA Ravens
Felip Claybrookes ERFA Browns
Tyrone Rogers UFA Browns
Eric Taylor ERFA Steelers
Brett Keisel RFA Steelers
Corey Sears UFA Texans
Raheem Brock UFA Colts
Rob Meier UFA Jaguars
Lionel Barnes UFA Jaguars
Jason Gildon UFA Jaguars
Shawn Johnson ERFA Titans
Carlos Hall RFA Titans
Bryant McNeal ERFA Broncos
Marco Coleman UFA Broncos
Reggie Hayward UFA Broncos
Anton Palepoi UFA Broncos
Bobby Hamilton UFA Raiders
Robert Pollard ERFA Chargers
Alex Brown RFA Bears
Aaron Kampman RFA Packers
Bryce Fisher UFA Rams
Erik Flowers UFA Rams
Kyle Vanden Bosch UFA Cardinals
Chike Okeafor UFA Seahawks
Brandon Mitchell UFA Seahawks
Karon Riley UFA Falcons
Kavika Pittman UFA Panthers
Tony Bryant UFA Saints
Darren Howard UFA Saints
Derrick Burgess UFA Eagles
Hugh Douglas UFA Eagles
Ron Warner ERFA Redskins
Demetric Evans RFA Redskins

I don't see Peppers on the list, and considering that he was the second pick of the 2002 draft, it's highly unlikely that he only signed a three-year deal.

Have to get the DE elsewhere.

Well that just popped my fan bubble.

I will have to check out this Red Zone. I am not as adept on all of the links for this kind of information but am learning quick. Thanks for the heads up!!

smrtalec33
01-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Peppers signed a 7-year deal, so sadly he won't be available for a while. There are several quality DE's in the draft though, and aside from Spears and Shaun Cody, the one who seems to have ideal size is Chris Canty, whose stock dropped due to a knee injury this past season. Unlike Spears and Cody, he would likely be available in the 2nd round, so if his medical situation doesn't look dire, i could see the Chargers seriously looking at him in the 2nd.