PDA

View Full Version : DJ Sure Can Hit

SuperMatt
01-20-2005, 12:58 AM
Okay, this has been bugging me ever since I saw that highlight clip in one of the other threads.

I haven't had the pleasure to watch much of him on the field, but from that video, it seems all of his hits were with his shoulders/head and his hands were always awkwardly placed (aside from that sweet FF on Jason White). The only time I saw him wrap up even close to correctly, the guy ran right through his arms and ended up tripping up through what looked like no fault of DJs.

So give me the skinny. The kid can flat out run, anyone can see that, and he definitely can drop the hammer, but these guys in the NFL get pounded all the time, the good ones bounce off and keep going if you dont' wrap them up. Is this something that can be easily fixed? Does it need to be with DJ?

While I like the idea, I have some concerns using a #12 pick on a LB that tackles so sloppily.

boltz21forlife
01-20-2005, 07:42 AM
you must have seen some bad footage....From what I've seen he can fly to the ball and wrapup well, I may be wrong though. I'll have to look into it. He would have been the top rated linebacker last year if he would have come out. I just don't see how the top rated linebacker in the draft could have tackling problems.

Shamrock
01-20-2005, 12:59 PM
I agree that D. Johnson's tackling form is questionable. He also disappeared in the Rose Bowl.

Here is the highlight package, from UT's own website. Yes, he hits, but he doesn't wrap up at all.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/

Over on the right, click on Complete video library - then, when the link pops up - scroll down and click on Derrick Johnson Highlight Video to see the video.

Works best with a high speed connection.

ragdex240
01-20-2005, 01:25 PM
After watching his highlights I don't think he'll make those kind of plays in the nfl.

kiwibolt
01-20-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm agreeing with SuperMatt and Shamrock. I viewed the video footage and was a little surprised by what I saw. Dude didn't wrap up more than twice in the entire highlight video. He's got some serious wheels and he can lay some wood, but he certainly doesn't wrap up.

Is it fixable? Yeah, but not by draft day...he's gonna have a hard time convincing teams that he's learned to tackle. He's slid in most of the pre-draft lists. If I remember correctly, before all the bowl games he was #1 on a lot of boards. Now there's talk of him slipping to the Bolts at 12... I'd much rather have a nasty DE

conair103
01-20-2005, 02:17 PM
the guy is a beast who makes plays YIKES
he just flys around the field, maybe donnie can teach him how to wrap up

smlman2
01-20-2005, 03:29 PM
well he can hit people like that because he gets in such good position. and his strip move is fenominal because he has the speed to lure the backs to think they can out run him and then when he sees his angle he accelerates and throws taht vicious club at the ball. it is like something iv never seen. trust me he can tackle!

Boltjolt
01-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Against Oklahoma this year he had 7 solo tackles, 9 assists, a FF and an INT.

Didnt do much in the Rose bowl but against the #2 team, he did well.

He had 128 tackles for the season with 19 of them being for losses with 9 FF

He is doing something right.

He also is the winner this year of the Bronko Nagurski Trophy for the best defensive player.

Just think, if he only knew how to tackle i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

SuperMatt
01-23-2005, 11:51 AM
http://mackbrown-texasfootball...05/111104_johnson.html (http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/videoclips/2004_05/111104_johnson.html)

Watch the clip, watch his form. Tell me he's gonna get away with that in the NFL?

I know the guy made plays in college, but so did Danny Weurffel (sp?). He's got great speed and athleticism and can certainly bring the wood, but when you're playing with the big dogs, you gotta be able to wrap too. Donnie Edwards doesn't rock many jocks, but he's got the best form I've seen in a long time and he RARELY misses a tackle. Missing tackles allows for big plays, that's my concern.

Someone find another clip where he's wrapping people up and my concerns will be satisfied, cause I really love his speed!

Infernus
01-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Maybe because regular tackling isnt that exciting to put on a highlight video. I;m sure the guy can tackle.

crazyman33
01-24-2005, 11:33 AM
infernus is right