PDA

View Full Version : foxsports.com mock draft

GamblerLT5
01-21-2005, 06:56 AM
1. 49ers Aaron Rodgers QB Cal
49ers officials will try to trade down. If stuck with the No. 1 pick, then Rodgers is the right quarterback in which to rebuild a franchise. He has improved remarkably the last two years and will be ready to play in '05.

2. Dolphins Cedric Benson RB Texas
The Dolphins need a productive running back. Benson is a big, physical back who runs with power and speed, and he never stops hustling.

3. Browns Derrick Johnson OLB Texas
The Browns could build a solid defense around this Ray Lewis type of linebacker.

4. Bears Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
The Bears are desperate for a go-to receiver. Edwards is a big playmaker with tremendous skills, size and speed.

5. Buccaneers Alex Barron T Florida State
Barron has the size, strength and athleticism to dominate the line of scrimmage.

6. Titans Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
James is powerful and athletic and never gives up on a play. He excels both as a
pass rusher and run stuffer.

7. Raiders Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
The Raiders had the worst rushing offense in the NFL last season (80.9 yards per game) and need a big upgrade. Brown, a two-dimensional back, can run with power and speed and is a big-time threat as a receiver.

8. Cardinals Alex Smith QB Utah
Smith moves into the top 10 after Matt Leinart's decision to stay in school for his senior season. Smith is the right quarterback to guide this young and potentially dangerous offense.

9. Redskins David Pollack DE Georgia
The Redskins must improve their defensive line. Pollack is a big, physical and experienced end. He is a big-time playmaker because of his speed and energy.

10. Lions Kevin Burnett OLB Tennessee
Burnett has great speed and athletic ability. He never stops hustling, shows great tackling skills and has a knack for making big plays.

11. Cowboys Antrel Rolle CB Miami (Fla.)
Rolle is the shutdown cornerback Dallas desperately needs. He has the size, speed and skills to be a game-altering presence.

12. Chargers Adam "Pac Man" Jones CB West Virginia
(from N.Y. Giants) Jones, a junior, has the skills to be a big-time cornerback and would immediately upgrade the Chargers' secondary. He has outstanding speed, is tough and is an excellent tackler.

13. Texans Dan Cody DE Oklahoma
The Texans are primed to be a serious playoff contender in 2005. Cody is a tough, physical and speedy end who makes big plays. He also shows great leadership skills.

14. Panthers Elton Brown G Virginia
Brown is a dominant force who would open big holes for Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster.

15. Chiefs Carlos Rogers CB Auburn
Rogers is a big, strong fearless defender with all the tools to be a top NFL cornerback.

16. Saints Travis Johnson DT Florida State
Johnson is a quick, strong, hard hitter who can stop the run. He especially excels at penetrating the line.

17. Bengals Thomas Davis S Georgia
Davis is an outstanding athlete who covers a lot of ground and would be the big, tough, physical presence the Bengals need.

18. Vikings Channing Crowder ILB Florida
The Vikings have multiple needs on defense. Crowder is a big, aggressive powerful hitter who has the speed and athleticism to cover the field.

19. Rams Brandon Browner CB Oregon State
Browner is just what the Rams need -- a big, fast and physical playmaker who can matchup man-to-man with big receivers.

20. Cowboys Jammal Brown T Oklahoma
(from Buffalo) Brown is giant and athletic with outstanding blocking skills. He would be the perfect addition to the Cowboys.

21. Jaguars Mike Williams WR USC
Williams would be a steal at this point in the draft. Williams has size and outstanding playmaking ability. With his incredible hands, he and QB Byron Leftwich could be a deadly combination for the next decade.

22. Ravens Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
Clayton is an all-around receiver who does everything -- run, jump, catch, and even block -- extremely well. He would be a perfect

utahcharger
01-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Interesting how everyone points to our "bad pass defense" as a secondary problem. In today's world I feel it is our lack of consistent QB pressure.

I like Pac-man and wouldnt hate getting him (altho #12 seems early, I'd trade down a bit if I really wanted him) but to me we need to draft 2 things:

1. Pass rush (DE or LB)
2. Stop Pass rush (OLine, pref LT)

That to me is what we need to address.

Thunderstruck
01-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by: utahcharger
Interesting how everyone points to our "bad pass defense" as a secondary problem. In today's world I feel it is our lack of consistent QB pressure.

I like Pac-man and wouldnt hate getting him (altho #12 seems early, I'd trade down a bit if I really wanted him) but to me we need to draft 2 things:

1. Pass rush (DE or LB)
2. Stop Pass rush (OLine, pref LT)

That to me is what we need to address.

I think a lot of draft analysts don't really do enough research to understand where a team is truly deficient. They look at the Chargers and see "Total Passing Yards Allowed: Rank 31st" and they assume we must need corners. If they just took the ten seconds required to dig a little deeper, they might notice "Sacks: 29" and realize that there's more to pass defense than pass coverage.

GamblerLT5
01-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Pac-Man will shoot up the draft boards guarenteed after the combine and scouts see his 40 time, so 12 is gonna be a good spot for him, hopefully he'll still be there, scouts are gonna fall in love with his speed

sd123455
01-21-2005, 09:48 AM
we better not take another corner....i think if williams was still available as the draft predicts wed take himi.......and a pass rushing de doesnt fit in a 3-4...if we want a pass rusher we need an olb

JoeMcRugby
01-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by: sd123455
we better not take another corner....i think if williams was still available as the draft predicts wed take himi.......and a pass rushing de doesnt fit in a 3-4...if we want a pass rusher we need an olb

I don't think people are talking about a "pass rushing DE".

We're talking about a big 3-4 DE that has pass rushing skills. After all, Leonard Marshall didn't have a lot of problems reaching the QB in the Giants 3-4 scheme back in the day.

Many have speculated that a target might be a collegiate DT with some pass rushing skills who will be moved out to DE.

One way or another, the other spot on the line beside Jamal and Igor has to be addressed in the offseason.

BTW I agree that the Chargers better not take another corner. Both sides of the line are far greater needs than another CB.

drangus
01-21-2005, 11:32 AM
joe if you are thinking of a big body with pass rushing skills what do you think of the following guys

travis johnson

marcus spears

shaun cody

antaj hawthorne

personally i like travis johnson because he is the most talented in terms of skill and athletic ability--but marcus spears is probably the most durable, most mature, and best leader of the group--shaun cody is the biggest risk so i would try to get him in the second round--antaj hawthorne has a great first step but is a bit short and might be better suited to play the one gap technique type defense i don't know much about his pass rushing ability

JoeMcRugby
01-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Those guys are possibilities, but how about this guy:

Chris Canty, 6' 7", 290 lbs., University of Virginia

He's coming off of a knee injury, so he might be available for the second round pick.

Here's the scoop on him from scouts.com on The Insiders website where he's ranked as the #7 DE.

Possibly the best two gap lineman in this draft. Solid left defensive end coming off a knee injury.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=102&p=2&c=344506

Sound like he could be a great fit in the 3-4 scheme. BTW Most of those ranked above him are speed off the edge pass rushers whom aren't suited for the 3-4.

Gadzooks
01-21-2005, 01:03 PM
NFL Draft Countdown has us taking Canty w/ our 2nd rounder. Seems like he'd be a nice fit.

smlman2
01-21-2005, 08:21 PM
those are rediculous picks. we wouldnt let williams go by. and at 28 if cody was left we would also take him. this mock will not happen

revlaramore
01-21-2005, 08:57 PM
One of the worst moves the bolts have made in the recent past was letting Rodney Harrison go.
Because of that move we need help in the secondary San Diego already has three first round corners.
What we need is a stand out safety who hits hard like Harrison.
Think about this Harrison is major factor why the Pats are super bowl champs.

Also what about a first round wideout?

foty89
01-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Amazing how Fox Sports apparently does not understand football. I am dumbfounded by their first pick. Another high round CB is about the last thing we need. We DO need someone to replace Wilson, but not a CB. Now the second pick, is a bit of a surprise too. However, it is not so far out of line as the first. I would doubt we would take a tackle as they predict, but it is possible, and not a terrible move.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif