PDA

View Full Version : offense vs defense in a draft

jun2tao04
01-24-2005, 09:50 PM
It seems like you would want to draft an offense player (IE- LIneman, wide receiver, TE, RB)
Pick up 4th year to 8th year players for defense? Way to much to learn and lose being on defensive side of the ball.

JoeMcRugby
01-24-2005, 10:22 PM
The teams that have stud d-lines (Carolina, the Jets, Pats, etc.) have done it through the draft.

Fill a gaping hole through free agency, but build lines on both sides through the draft is the route to long-term success.

foty89
01-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby
The teams that have stud d-lines (Carolina, the Jets, Pats, etc.) have done it through the draft.

Fill a gaping hole through free agency, but build lines on both sides through the draft is the route to long-term success.

Well said.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Tomlinson21
01-25-2005, 10:51 AM
I agree to the above 2 posts as well. I'm really surprised some people here are talking WR as our # 1as far as a big time receiver...unless we all didn't see the KC game...that #13 fella is pretty good. He has speed and physically could be your WR prototype. I am very surprised we're mentioning WR as our #1, though. IMO, the combination of speedsters: McCardell, Caldwell and Parker is awesome. Add Gates into the mix...and we have a great core of receivers already. Oh and don't forget about our all purpose back who can run and catch. Why get a WR?

Anybody seen Larry Fitzgerald in the Cardinals headlines last year...Nope! How about Givens, Branch and Brown...I hope you've heard of them because they're a group of "no name" WR's playing for the defending Champs at the big dance in Jax. You don't need big time wide receiver in this team.

Defense wins you championships....you hold the opposing teams offense and you win games. You put a Harrison, Stokley and Wayne combined with a Peyton Manning: you have a high octane offense but what does your D do? You're D will stink because you can't control the clock because the game becomes a TD shootout and your D has to play on the field longer.

I llike Defense as our focus. I want that Cody guy from SC or a big time free agent safety. I think our offense is already set. Let's get our pass D a psuh this year, shall we?

WARHAWKS
01-25-2005, 01:06 PM
we need to draft defense like DE, and get Smith Dwight from Tampa Bay and he will help us out a lot. i think we dont need to draft more offense.

dougdebbie
01-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I couldn't agree more. Our offence is in good shape. Maybe another O line player for backup if someone gets hurt and in a later round. You're right, defence wins games. Just look at the play-offs how NE shut everyone down. Take the best defencive player on the board.