PDA

View Full Version : Possible pass rush solution

TrabucoWR
01-27-2005, 04:27 PM
I don't think we need a DE. Dave Ball is the solution for a pass rushing DE, and if he's healthy, he will be good. I think we should take a fast LB in round 2 maybe who can play well in a 3-4 and have him play strong LB and him and Foley could rush. Meanwhile, dump Godfrey and move Leber to inside with Donnie. I think that would work pretty well, how about the rest of you?

guimcharger
01-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by: TrabucoWR
I don't think we need a DE. Dave Ball is the solution for a pass rushing DE, and if he's healthy, he will be good. I think we should take a fast LB in round 2 maybe who can play well in a 3-4 and have him play strong LB and him and Foley could rush. Meanwhile, dump Godfrey and move Leber to inside with Donnie. I think that would work pretty well, how about the rest of you?

Ball was pretty good when he played but he wasn't good against the run.

mgpretzel
01-27-2005, 06:02 PM
he wasn't big enough to play every down. If he hits the weight room a lot then he might just become that guy. but right now we need an every down guy

foty89
01-27-2005, 06:36 PM
It is conceivable that Ball could turn into the end of the future, but he is not now. He need to bulk up to Igor's size, which is 30 pounds heavier than where he is now. I don't think we can count on him to feel this need right now, we need to draft a DE to fill the current need we have.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

JoeMcRugby
01-27-2005, 09:33 PM

Dave Ball can't play unless it's obvious passing situations. He needs to improve his strength drastically in order to be an every down 3-4 DE.

As it is now, he can only come in on second or third and long downs. There's no way the Chargers can sit and hope that Ball can immediately fulfill a role that he's not physically capable of doing at the present time.

RMANCIL
01-28-2005, 06:08 AM
Ball played well in the very limited action that he saw. He does appear to be a situational player at this time. The Bolts are in a solid position to come away with a DL who will start .

You can never have to many DL or OL.

Based on Senior bowl reports Spears, Shawn Cody and Mat Roth have jumped ahead of the rest with Spears and Cody fitting our defense.

The key question maybe do the Bolts hold off on selecting one of these players at 12 hoping that one falls or reach a little and take one at 12.

If they could trade back a few slots and pick up a extra selection and still fill the position would of course be ideal.

TrabucoWR
01-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Best idea then would probably be to put ball in on 3rd and long with Phillips and Foley also rushing. That would produce some sacks.

JoeMcRugby
01-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Best idea then would probably be to put ball in on 3rd and long with Phillips and Foley also rushing. That would produce some sacks.

And I think Ball will fit in well with that plan of pass situations at the present..

But that still leaves a hole on first down (and second & less than seven) situations. That's why posters on this board are harping so hard for a d-lineman in the first round.

On first down, you have to play guys who can stop the run. However, teams in the NFL are known to put the ball in the air on first down throughout the game. Thus, in a 3-4, the everydown 3-4 DE has to be able to tie up a couple of blockers to help against the run AND also be able to put pressure on the QB if it's a pass. And I emphasize pressure. It's generally not the job of the DE to put up huge sack numbers in the 3-4 although an exceptional DE will. Pressure and forcing the QB to get rid of the ball early is the key.

Igor has the blocker tie-up part pretty much locked down and is improving on his pass rush as he gains experience. The Chargers need another DE to bookend with Igor (with both flanking Jamal) to form a formidable front seven. That's what the Steelers have and makes the secondary that much better. When you don't have to cover for seven seconds, DBs can play even more aggressively and look back for the ball without fear that by looking back they'll lose their man for a huge play.