PDA

View Full Version : New Expansion teams by 2007-2008 season

WARHAWKS
02-05-2005, 11:16 PM
NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said there's a strong possibility that Toronto and los Angeles will get a team by 2007-2008...great news for both cities and can i say its about Friggen time......

i dont see why we need more football team? it almost every cities want their own football team (NFL)

mgpretzel
02-05-2005, 11:23 PM
I could see why they want one in LA. but why Toronto?

guimcharger
02-05-2005, 11:27 PM
I hope they don't put a team in canada. they need to keep the nfl in the usa. Plus I can name a couple of franchises that were up in canada and moved. Most recently the expos and before that the grizzles.

WARHAWKS
02-05-2005, 11:28 PM
toronto have their own football team...CFL

WARHAWKS
02-05-2005, 11:30 PM
i think that idiot, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, did poorly job by making his foolish decison to put NFl team in canada...

JoeMcRugby
02-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Hold on a second: I read in the LA Times that Tags wouldn't rule out Toronto and Mexico City "sometime" in the future. I haven't heard a peep about a team there in 2007-08.

Please give a link where Tags says they're going to Toronto in the next couple of years. i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

WARHAWKS
02-05-2005, 11:58 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mexico city?????? they love soccer. but do they like football?

mgpretzel
02-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Heck lets put a team in England. or germany!!! that way the team that is at hom has a REAL home feild advantge. LOL

JoeMcRugby
02-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by: WARHAWKS
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mexico city?????? they love soccer. but do they like football?

The Cowboys have played several sold out exhibition games there.

The point I'm try to make is that someone asked Tags whether a team in Toronto would ever be a possibility. Tags answered that they'd keep the doors open on that and mentioned Mexico City as well. It wasn't an announcement that a team would go to either place.

It was the typical NFL PR answer: the NFL always wants to keep all possibilities open so that when they choose a path, there will be several cities bidding against each other to get it. And in the international market, Tags didn't want to just leave it at Toronto alone being a possibility, so he brought up Mexico City.

Don't count on a team to be in either place for a long, long time.

Shamrock
02-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Top ten cities (by population) from this link: (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html)

New York, N.Y. 8,085,742
Los Angeles, Calif. 3,819,951
Chicago, Ill. 2,869,121
Houston, Tex. 2,009,690
Philadelphia, Pa. 1,479,339
Phoenix, Ariz. 1,388,416
San Diego, Calif. 1,266,753
San Antonio, Tex. 1,214,725
Dallas, Tex. 1,208,318
Detroit, Mich. 911,402

The two in bold are the only US Cities in the top ten without an NFL team. Those are the two cities that should get expansion teams.

TRUiceman
02-06-2005, 12:40 AM
basketball is a joke in toronto.....baseball is just as bad....why put a football team there.....its the NFL not the INFL

hegor
02-06-2005, 02:05 AM
Professional football in L.A.? Well we have the Avengers!

Seriously, I cannot take any plan for returning football to L.A. seriously if it involves the L.A. Tolietseum. The best plan would be build to refurbish the Rose Bowl. But I don't think the citizens of Pasadena would stand for it.

Carson, next to the Home Depot Center? Maybe.

Anaheim, next to Angels Stadium, not a bad place, where the heck would you park then? Any potential stadium would take up the parking lot!

L.A. Tolietseum. PLEASE GOD NO. Crap neighborhood. Crap stadium.

A new stadium near the Staples Center. Not a bad idea. Casey Wasserman (owner of the Avengers) has expressed interest in bankrolling a team and stadium, but he won't do it on his own. He would require city money (NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN) or additional investors.

Besides, I really don't think L.A. is a good city for NFL football. L.A. is more fairweather than San Diego. Only the Lakers get anything close to unconditional fan support. So maybe we don't really deserve a team. As an aside if the team were a member of the AFC west then the Faiders would recieve another home game.

conair103
02-06-2005, 02:38 AM
HEY GUYS IM CANADIAN

a team in toronto would be terrible, they argos(cfl) played in the skydome, and barely got like 20 000 people, not a good idea.

as for a team in edmonton would be better then a team in Arizona, maybe games we have 55 000+....i know this wont happen but i can dream right.....

id still be a bolts fan i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

rrogers
02-06-2005, 04:39 AM
Canada might be all right.

SDRaiderH8er
02-06-2005, 06:16 AM
Geezo weezo, the talent pool is all ready shallow, they dont have enough Talent to fill the the current rosters as it is right now, 2 more Team's is just going to create havoc, its just going to give the owners more $$$$$$$$$,

IgorUnchained
02-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by: conair103
HEY GUYS IM CANADIAN

a team in toronto would be terrible, they argos(cfl) played in the skydome, and barely got like 20 000 people, not a good idea.

as for a team in edmonton would be better then a team in Arizona, maybe games we have 55 000+....i know this wont happen but i can dream right.....

id still be a bolts fan

Ive got nothing against Canada as a country, but as a home for American sports franchises it is a graveyard. Im with conair when he says it is a terrible idea.. Canadians already have a Football League, and Im sure it works well for them (they have Dave Dickenson afterall)

I would rather see "regional" US teams for big blocks of states that dont have NFL franchises....Lump Montana in with the Dakotas, Oregon and Nevada could share one...etc. It is a stupid idea, I know- and it has alot of the same flaws as the Canadian NFL Idea....gotta have butts in the seats. Still, it would make me happier.

foty89
02-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by: SDRaiderH8er
Geezo weezo, the talent pool is all ready shallow, they dont have enough Talent to fill the the current rosters as it is right now, 2 more Team's is just going to create havoc, its just going to give the owners more $$$$$$$$$,

You know, I am not sure that this is really true. I know that we always here it and many times see it too. But still, there are plenty of times when you see backups that are really good. Look at Chatman. Now, I am not saying that there are enough good players to add many more teams, but a few could be added. I will admit, that there are positions that are thin now and would be more so with more teams. QB is certainly the most glaring example. But I think it could be done.

As for teams in Canada, I don't know about that. The CFL has most of the cities that would support professional football already. Now there was a time, long ago, when the CFL rivalled the NFL, but that far in the past. The CFL could never rival the NFL again. So, I don't know that you could successfully add teams that way.

As for Mexico, exhibition games are one thing. Seeing football is a novelty then. But how many Mexicans could really afford season tickets at NFL prices?

I can see some possibility for a team or teams in western Europe. The travel would be hard, but not impossible. The concern there would be that I am not sure there would be enough support over there either. Soccer, otherwise properly known as football is the sport of choice.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

kinghooker
02-06-2005, 09:10 AM
I live in south O.C., Laguna Niguel, and if they put a team in L.A. or Anaheim I would still be loyal Bolt season ticket holder. My bet is Anaheim for a new stadium and franchise.

BreesLightning
02-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Toronto would be great, there would be a lineup of possible owners with $500,000,000 checks at Tagliabues office. I live in Toronto and let me assure you there is a huge following for the NFL here. 10,000 bills season ticket holders are from the toronto area. Ever game would be sold out no matter what the teams record would be. The population of Toronto and the suburbs around it is in the 5 mill range.

Toronto is a big city, with big city mentality. Most of Canada doesnt like us because we think we are the capital of Canada and to some extent we are. A team in toronto would be canadas team, a fan base of 36mill. A toronto team would be one of the most successful in the NFL. We pay, $250 a ticket for Hockey, We pay $250 a ticket for Raptors seats (NBA), there would be no problem selling out seats here even if the ticket prices start at $100.

Toronto would be a great place for the NFL to expand, i would be the first to line up for season tickets. There was a push in the 80s for Toronto to get a team, back then the Bills and the CFL (Canadian Football League) were the biggest stumbling blocks. The CFL people thought the CFL would have folded if Toronto got an NFL team, and the Bills were worried about losing their Canadian fans.

The time is right for Toronto to get an NFL team. Yes Mr Tagliabue, please come to this great city.

JoeMcRugby
02-06-2005, 10:24 AM

I don't think they're talking about expansion. LA/Anaheim's team most likely will be one that is relocating (stay away, Tom Benson).

And Tagliabue didn't have ANY timetable for a move to Toronto or elsewhere outside the US. If the NFL open a franchise in Toronto in 2075, then Tagliabue was telling the truth.

32 teams is the perfect number for the time being. Balanced divisions and a balanced schedule that can be worked out years in advance.

joelbolt
02-06-2005, 10:35 AM
All I can say is we get calls, emails, and letters everyday from Canadians. I think it has a lot to do with Doug Flutie, he seems to be a legend in Canada. I think just about every Canadian that visits San Diego stops by the Chargers facility to get a picture of the building. I can see a team in Canada... I just donít see enough talented players to fill another NFL roster, nonetheless two rosters.

BreesLightning
02-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by: joelbolt
All I can say is we get calls, emails, and letters everyday from Canadians. I think it has a lot to do with Doug Flutie, he seems to be a legend in Canada. I think just about every Canadian that visits San Diego stops by the Chargers facility to get a picture of the building. I can see a team in Canada... I just donít see enough talented players to fill another NFL roster, nonetheless two rosters.

Yeah thats the biggest problem with expansion, talented gets diluted. Hockey has the same problem, when they added new teams the talent level dropped. 1/2 the teams in the NFL have bad Qbs is it is. Its better for the game to have 20 teams with great players rather then 40 and 1/2 the players just stink

renojim
02-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby

I don't think they're talking about expansion. LA/Anaheim's team most likely will be one that is relocating (stay away, Tom Benson).

And Tagliabue didn't have ANY timetable for a move to Toronto or elsewhere outside the US. If the NFL open a franchise in Toronto in 2075, then Tagliabue was telling the truth.

32 teams is the perfect number for the time being. Balanced divisions and a balanced schedule that can be worked out years in advance.

I agree with you joe 32 teams is perfect. If the league does anything they will relocate a team or teams no expansion.

Boltbacker
02-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Right now the NFL is perfect as far as its size. They do not need to expand, look what expansion has done to the NBA and the NHL, it is a watered down version of what they used to be. There is not enough talent to go around.

Shamrock
02-06-2005, 11:25 AM
I think it has a lot to do with Doug Flutie, he seems to be a legend in Canada. I think just about every Canadian that visits San Diego stops by the Chargers facility to get a picture of the building.

We have many, many stories about Flutopia. I guess it's a Province North of the Snow Border.

I just donít see enough talented players to fill another NFL roster, nonetheless two rosters.
I'll bet the owners can think of 700 millions reasons (times two) why there should be expansion teams.

Johndbr
02-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Well first off, a expansion team going into L.A. has bee the leading plan for many years. This is the first time I have heard of a second one being established at the same time, but it does make since. I would bring in over 2 billion dollars for the existing NFL owners and would make scheduling a lot easier.

As for the citizens of Pasadena not wanting to refurbish the colsseum; that is not true, not only is it not true, they have already ok'd the plans and have granted the permits for the project. All they need is the funding for the project, which would be easily obtainable if a NFL contract is obtained.

I still think plan "A" will be put into effect before 2010. You will have a existing team move into a refurbished coliseum and a expansion team move into a new stadium. They already have 5 competing bids in the works {well really 4, the coliseum was included in that count I think}. I really think there is 3 legitimate bids on the table, I trained in Carson for 2 month in 2000 and I can not believe any one would go there willing, it is the arm pit of the area.

As for the talent pool being depleted, you can not convince me that a country of 293,027,571 can not filed this many teams. We have the talent, they simply have to find more ways to find it and develop it and they are doing that. Gates was a basketball player before the Chargers found him and trained him as a receiver. More and more you are seeing line men coming out of the wrestling ranks and it is simply going to happen more and more often from now on.

The NFL never commits to anything till they have the cash in the bank, but of all the possibilities I have read about, this does seem to be the most likely.

John B.

JoeMcRugby
02-06-2005, 01:03 PM
I don't believe it will be an expansion team in LA. A 33 team league is a logistical nightmare.

I believe it will be a relocated team, but extra money in owners' pockets could win out.

As for the extra team, that's pie in the sky. All Tagliabue did was answer the question "Is it possible that the NFL could sometime in the future have a franchise in Toronto. Tags said "Yes, it's possible."

How that answer gets turned into "There will be an expansion team in Toronto by 2008" is beyond me.

broncossuck7
02-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by: rrogers
Canada might be all right.

umm no. Why in good name do they want a canadian football team. Maybe that would make the cardnials look good

hegor
02-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Toronto would be a great city for an NFL team. The teams uniform should be a variation f the Canadian flag! Nationalistic football! How surreal would it be ti hear the Canadian national anthem before an NFL game?

Mexico city? Not yet. Europe? No way ever. MLS Soccer will rival MLB and NBA before the NFL could rival soccer in Europe.

Well maybe Germany, Lots of American military there.

broncossuck7
02-06-2005, 01:46 PM
that would suck.

JerryinCA
02-06-2005, 01:47 PM
I don't mind the idea of including canadian teams in the NFL, at least it would give just a tiny bit more value to the phrase "world champions" for a super bowl winner. Kind of funny to call someone world champ when nobody outside of the USA is able to compete. I wouldn't recommend adding many more teams than the NFL already has but I would rather they put a team in canada than in mexico, I don't think a team in mexico would make enough money.

Call85BillGates
02-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by: hegor
Toronto would be a great city for an NFL team. The teams uniform should be a variation f the Canadian flag! Nationalistic football! How surreal would it be ti hear the Canadian national anthem before an NFL game?

they already do play it, at all the bills games. Unfortunately we in buffalo get 2 anthems for anything..ugh

SDRaiderH8er
02-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by: foty89

You know, I am not sure that this is really true. I know that we always here it and many times see it too. But still, there are plenty of times when you see backups that are really good. Look at Chatman. Now, I am not saying that there are enough good players to add many more teams, but a few could be added. I will admit, that there are positions that are thin now and would be more so with more teams. QB is certainly the most glaring example. But I think it could be done.

As for teams in Canada, I don't know about that. The CFL has most of the cities that would support professional football already. Now there was a time, long ago, when the CFL rivalled the NFL, but that far in the past. The CFL could never rival the NFL again. So, I don't know that you could successfully add teams that way.

As for Mexico, exhibition games are one thing. Seeing football is a novelty then. But how many Mexicans could really afford season tickets at NFL prices?

I can see some possibility for a team or teams in western Europe. The travel would be hard, but not impossible. The concern there would be that I am not sure there would be enough support over there either. Soccer, otherwise properly known as football is the sport of choice.

Go Bolts!

If it were 2 Expansion Teams, are there enough quality Quarterbacks, not even today can you say that. What about Lineman on both sides of the ball, yes you can stick bodies aout there, but to build a quality line, even today its hard, add 2 more Teams, and now your backup's are going to be the people who wouldnt of even cracked the roster last year.

conair103
02-07-2005, 03:07 PM
nfl in toronto is just silly, on SO many levels, comming from a canadian
1)no support for even there argos
2)no support for other american leagues...nba mlb etc
3)CFL is awesome and so is NFL, keep them apart

Gadzooks
02-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Conair - I find your uninformed posts re: Toronto disturbing. Being born and living in Toronto I think I can add an informed opinion. First I will defend TO as a Sports town:

1. Toronto consistently sold out every cRaptor game until Vince Carter started whining and crying, playing possum etc... I've been to two games this year ($95 a pop) and they were both packed houses. This is despite the fact that this franchise has made no effort to blend into T.O.'s sports traditions (Double blue and white uniforms, the obvious team name of the Towers, etc...)

2. The Blue Jays consistently sold out every game prior to the strike. Baseball, as a sport, is a mess and many of the fans have been turned off by increasing ticket prices to see a futile effort to beat the powerhouse teams (Boston, NY).

3. The Maple Leafs are the heart and soul of Toronto sports I would argue that it's the center of the Hockey universe. They haven't won a championship since '67 and have gone through some absolutely miserable years yet they sell out EVERY SINGLE GAME.

4. The Argos are considered a minor league team (which they are). They won the Grey Cup this year and ticket sales were brisk.

5. The Bills fan base is comprised of 30% Canadian content (at least). Ralph Wilson Stadiumís parking lot is filled w/ busses from Toronto. Torontonians primarily root for the Bills although pretty much every team in the NFL is represented in one way or another.

6. Toronto has a population of close to 3 million, many of which are NFL fans.

However, Iím afraid there wonít be a Canadian NFL team anytime soon for the following reasons:

1. The TV ratings system the NFL uses to negotiate itís lucrative national TV deals are not available in Canada. Itís different then the NBA or MLB that have a ton of local coverage. The NFLís bread and butter comes from itís national deal.

2. Buffalo would scream bloody murder if a team in such close proximity took their fan base. A large tax would be required in order to compensate the Buffalo franchise for lost earnings.

Conair - your opinions of Toronto as a sports town may be stemming from an inferiority complex that most have in Western Canada. You should have that checked out i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

PhillyFan
02-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with all the posts in this thread, but has anyone ever thought it might be worth while putting a team in Hawaii. The Pro Bowl is always a boring game yet the stadium always seems full. Is that only because of the fans of the players in the game, or because the people of Hawaii like going to the game.

Anyway, I always thought that it would be good to have a team there.

Only problem, if you really think it is, is that Madden would never go there, he doesn't like to fly.

broncos
02-14-2005, 01:05 PM
a team in toronto. that would be the best thing to happen to canada. i can promise that everygame would be sold out. i would have season tickets.

LTfan4life
03-16-2005, 10:35 PM
[quote]
Originally posted by: IgorUnchained
[quote]
Originally posted by: conair103

HEY GUYS IM CANADIAN

Ive got nothing against Canada as a country, but as a home for American sports franchises it is a graveyard. Im with conair when he says it is a terrible idea.. Canadians already have a Football League, and Im sure it works well for them (they have Dave Dickenson afterall)q]

EXACTLY! Hockey is to Canada as Football is to...........AMERICA! You got your sport, we have ours.
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

kingporterblood
03-17-2005, 01:53 PM
You never know till you try it, but I think we need more teams in different cities in US, especially L.A., Vegas, Miss. Birmingham

SuperChargersGo
03-28-2005, 10:35 AM
I can see him putting a Team in LA cause they have such a huge market for it. (sorry for anybody that lives there but LA football will always suck, just like the Dodgers! Go Padres!) But Toronto? I can see it only because the CFL has some popularity there and NFL wants to tap into some of that potential, but thats alot of teams in the NFL if we add two more and its a big risk putting a team in Canada.

LTfan4life
03-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Here's my list of cities I think should get football teams:

I believe that we should keep football in the U.S. after seeing the downfall of the MLB and NBA in Canada.

1. Los Angeles
2. Las Vegas
3. San Antonio
4. Portland
5. Oklahoma City
6. Albuquerque
7. Boston
8. Virginia City
9. Omaha
10. Honolulu or Milawaukee

That should do it for the next 40 years i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

mattmc223
04-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Here's my list of cities I think should get football teams:

I believe that we should keep football in the U.S. after seeing the downfall of the MLB and NBA in Canada.

1. Los Angeles
2. Las Vegas
3. San Antonio
4. Portland
5. Oklahoma City
6. Albuquerque
7. Boston
8. Virginia City
9. Omaha
10. Honolulu or Milawaukee

That should do it for the next 40 years i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Hmm...doesn't Boston have a team called the Patriots?

I think a team in Vegas would be pretty cool.

LTfan4life
04-03-2005, 01:44 PM
The Patriots play in Foxboro.

Here's a map that shows the distance between Boston and Foxboro. Beantown still deserves a team :D

http://www.foxboroughmarealestate.com/images/MapMAFoxborough.jpg

SuperChargersGo
04-09-2005, 11:36 PM
We are going to need one here after the councilmen drive us out.

sdchrger
04-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Top ten cities (by population) from this link: (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html)

New York, N.Y. 8,085,742
Chicago, Ill. 2,869,121
Houston, Tex. 2,009,690
Phoenix, Ariz. 1,388,416
Dallas, Tex. 1,208,318
Detroit, Mich. 911,402

The two in bold are the only US Cities in the top ten without an NFL team. Those are the two cities that should get expansion teams.

You're homing Shamrock. San Antonio is a great city but they are all Cowboys fans anyways. Then again, only 2 NFL teams for a state as large as Texas does seem a little off. San Antonio does a great job supporting the Spurs that's for sure.

Chargers99
04-10-2005, 09:48 AM
no need for expansion yet, there is not enough talent and support in los angeles espcially after 3 teams left. chargers, rams and the losers.

Nutz-N-Boltz
04-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Another factor that is being overlooked in giving Toronto an expansion team is the fact that players will take a huge pay cut by playing there. That is a already a big factor in the other sports, because Canada has a much higher income tax.

As far as giving LA another team...how many teams have they had already. I think that they should be made to lure a team in, it's not fair for one city to have an NFL team so many times and then let them go.

Buffalo losing fans to a Toronto team and/or Dallas losing fans to a San Antonio fan is really a non-issue. Whenever you make an expansion team they steal fans from other teams. Look at the Braves, they lose fans everytime Florida gets another baseball team (ie DevilRays and Marlins), but that's the nature of sports.

Peace Out

joseph04
04-27-2005, 12:18 AM
has there ever been a canada nfl team?

SDRaiderH8er
04-27-2005, 10:17 AM
The Patriots play in Foxboro.

Here's a map that shows the distance between Boston and Foxboro. Beantown still deserves a team :D

http://www.foxboroughmarealestate.com/images/MapMAFoxborough.jpg

But didnt the Patriots start out in life known as the "Boston Patriots"?

LTfan4life
04-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Football will fall on it's face in Canada. Look how successful MLB and the NBA were there. Hockey is the only sport Canadians will go to on a constistent basis. They have the CFL up there anyway.

viceguy2
04-29-2005, 09:00 PM
I am Charging fan living in Toronto...I've been following the bolts since 1979...
For those of you who may be unfamiliar with Toronto and why it would be the logical choice for an expansion team after LA is simple...Its the third largest sports market in North America next to LA and NY...with 4 million people. There is a very strong following and love for the NFL here...40% of Bills fans going to home games come from southern Ontario and approx 30% of season tkt holders for the Bills are Cdn...Without this Cdn contingency there is no team in Buffalo..period, and right now there is a serious concern in western NY of the Bills possibly moving to Toronto.

When Toronto is awarded a team there are already both public and private funds set aside for a world class stadium..(not like the mess in San Diego)...
The Maple Leafs home games have been sold out straight since the late 70's and theyve been horrible for long stretches..there is no reason why every game will not be sold out in Toronto..the skydome which normally holds 55, 000, managed to squeeze in nearly 70 000 for an exhibition game between the bills and cowboys several years ago...and thats not even the stadium that will be used even though it opened in 1989 as the world's first retractable dome stadium...

The NFL is a conscience-less money making machine, based on that alone it will expand to Toronto...

The Grizzilies and Expos each had unique situations for leaving their respective cities of which neither had anything to do with Toronto or its capabilities of maintaining a sports franchise. Football was invented in Canada, so its only appropriate for it to house an NFL team.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said there's a strong possibility that Toronto and los Angeles will get a team by 2007-2008...great news for both cities and can i say its about Friggen time......

i dont see why we need more football team? it almost every cities want their own football team (NFL)

foty89
04-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Football was invented in Canada, so its only appropriate for it to house an NFL team.

Care to explain that?

Go Bolts!
:Bolt: :Bolt: :Bolt:

chargertom
04-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Salt Lake City might not be a bad place for a team. You'd draw people from Northern Nevada, Utah, and Southern Idaho. Alot of people from Idaho come down just to see the U of U play football. So an NFL team would be a good draw for those people. Wyoming is only about 90 miles away (Evanston), so you'd probably get people from there too. Plus, with the exception of Jazz basketball, there really isn't much going on in the way of pro sports in that area of the country.

Of course, if Utah gets a pro team ... then Colorado will want one, too.

Go Chargers! :Bolt:

cflnflfan
05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
First of all the bills cowboys game had 56000 fans at the game not 70000. at the skydome.

second the nfl played another exhibtion game in toronto and barely sold 40,000 seats and about 15,000 were give aways.

Expanison in Toronto would cost about 1 billion CDN to bring a team up here and the stadium holds a maxium of 55,000 for NFL Football and 53,000 for CFL football. The NFL wants a min of 65,000 seats for a new team. Only two stadiums in Canada can accomadate that capacity, Montreal and Edmonton and possibly Vancouver.

Buffalo has about 10,000 plus fans attend bills games, a NFL team in Toronto would kill that. I dont think the owners in Buffalo would be to happy with that.

Torontos attendance has been increasing in the past year, almost 40,000 for the last playoff game in 2004.

The NFL loves the CFL for many reasons, its a good place for players to devlelop after College football, it also gives free agents an alternative to league to play in when negoiating a new contract.

The NFL wants to CFL to stay alive for those reasons above and many others.

The CFL having smaller players is also a good place to go for many players whose talent is as good as any other player who wants to play in the NFL but they are not big enough to play in the NFL.

The CFL is on a surge of regrowth Hamilton sold out almost every game, Montreal has a 3 year waiting list for seasons tickets, BC has over 19,000 season tickets sold, up from 5000 from previous years, Toronto has doulbled its season ticket base this year.

Television revenue is another factor on why the NFL wont be coming to Canada. Canada has laws only Canadian content my be adverstised on any network shows being shown in Canada. If Toronto had a team, what would the American ratings be when a Home game is shown on FOX or any of the other networks? The Blue Jays have terrible ratings when the American networks broadcast a game from Toronto. The NFL would be the same.

I am a fan of both games, Football is football as far as I am concerned. I like the NFL for is hard hitting and I like the CFL for its fast pace. (I do not like the fair catch rule in the NFL though wimpy as far as I am concerned)

The Grey Cup is the highest rated sporst championship in Canada, higher then the super bowl, the world series. The only thing that rivals the Grey CUP is the Stanley cup and only when at least one Canadian team is involved.

I am Charging fan living in Toronto...I've been following the bolts since 1979...
For those of you who may be unfamiliar with Toronto and why it would be the logical choice for an expansion team after LA is simple...Its the third largest sports market in North America next to LA and NY...with 4 million people. There is a very strong following and love for the NFL here...40% of Bills fans going to home games come from southern Ontario and approx 30% of season tkt holders for the Bills are Cdn...Without this Cdn contingency there is no team in Buffalo..period, and right now there is a serious concern in western NY of the Bills possibly moving to Toronto.

When Toronto is awarded a team there are already both public and private funds set aside for a world class stadium..(not like the mess in San Diego)...
The Maple Leafs home games have been sold out straight since the late 70's and theyve been horrible for long stretches..there is no reason why every game will not be sold out in Toronto..the skydome which normally holds 55, 000, managed to squeeze in nearly 70 000 for an exhibition game between the bills and cowboys several years ago...and thats not even the stadium that will be used even though it opened in 1989 as the world's first retractable dome stadium...

The NFL is a conscience-less money making machine, based on that alone it will expand to Toronto...

The Grizzilies and Expos each had unique situations for leaving their respective cities of which neither had anything to do with Toronto or its capabilities of maintaining a sports franchise. Football was invented in Canada, so its only appropriate for it to house an NFL team.

LTfan4life
05-09-2005, 04:40 PM
But didnt the Patriots start out in life known as the "Boston Patriots"?

Yes, but after a while, they started playing their games in Fobxoboro. Foxboro is exactly 21.9 miles from Boston. Maybe they don't need a team.... my bad. How about Hartford, CT?

roscoeChickn
05-09-2005, 05:34 PM

New York, N.Y. 8,085,742
Chicago, Ill. 2,869,121
Houston, Tex. 2,009,690
Phoenix, Ariz. 1,388,416
Dallas, Tex. 1,208,318
Detroit, Mich. 911,402

But a third team in texas...
Thats too much competition

LAChargerGuy
05-13-2005, 11:36 PM
I can't wait til LA gets a team...hopefully it's an expansion team. There's rumors of the Saints or Chargers moving to Los Angeles and playing at either the LA Coliseum or at a new stadium in Anaheim..as long as we get a team, I'm cool with it (unless it's the raiders)

Boltfan92153
05-14-2005, 08:39 AM
I f the chargers don't have "San Diego" in its name then it would suck

LTfan4life
05-14-2005, 10:06 AM
I've heard of either the Colts, Vikings, or Saints moving to LA. Now, it looks like the Vikings will stay because of the new ownership. The Colts are supposedly the most likely to move because they want a new stadium, and they can't get one. The RCA Dome is one of the smallest pro sports facilities in the U.S.

geekster
05-14-2005, 10:11 AM
I've heard of either the Colts, Vikings, or Saints moving to LA. Now, it looks like the Vikings will stay because of the new ownership. The Colts are supposedly the most likely to move because they want a new stadium, and they can't get one. The RCA Dome is one of the smallest pro sports facilities in the U.S.

Sorry this is a bit off-topic but I distincly remember how the Colts fans came in here and bragged about their "fast track" last season - I guess when you decipher that "code" it means fast track = worn out 8 year old carpet that is gonna kill your players knees and feet... Funny, if they have any plans of moving why would they be FINALLY replacing it with FieldTurf? (See NFL.com).

LTfan4life
05-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Sorry this is a bit off-topic but I distincly remember how the Colts fans came in here and bragged about their "fast track" last season - I guess when you decipher that "code" it means fast track = worn out 8 year old carpet that is gonna kill your players knees and feet... Funny, if they have any plans of moving why would they be FINALLY replacing it with FieldTurf? (See NFL.com).

Maybe it's a short-term solution! I heard about that when I watched the NFL Combine, and they said that this would be the last year that the artificial turf was in the RCA Dome. Who knows; the NFL is full of rumors and speculation by analysts, sportscasters, etc.

wyattearp65
06-10-2005, 08:42 PM
I hope they don't put a team in canada. they need to keep the nfl in the usa. Plus I can name a couple of franchises that were up in canada and moved. Most recently the expos and before that the grizzles. when has Toronto lost any sports team? look at all the U.S.sports teams that have moved around. Never in toronto. The maple leafs have been here pre 1900.we are a Big sports city thank you very much. although the C.F.L. would fight to keep the N.F.L out,as would the Buffalo Bills.(maybe) Having a N.F.L team here would make it easier to see some good football :D

Big Poppa
06-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Toronto may make soe sense if they are planning on moving outside the US. But to me the top 5 choices would be.

1. LA
2. San Antonio
3. Las Vegas
4. Orlando
5. Portland

Las Vegas is really the only team that does not already have 1 pro sports team. But I think a team would work in Vegas

Bubba86
06-13-2005, 01:47 PM
i heard that tagliabue doesnt want a team in vegas because of gambling and stuff like that. also if those cities were to get teams they most likely wouldnt be expansion teams but teams moving from different cities, the divisions are set up so nicely finally that adding 1 or 2 new teams would kill everything.

wyattearp65
06-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Toronto may make soe sense if they are planning on moving outside the US. But to me the top 5 choices would be.

1. LA
2. San Antonio
3. Las Vegas
4. Orlando
5. Portland

Las Vegas is really the only team that does not already have 1 pro sports team. But I think a team would work in Vegas
Props to Big Poppa,

Little Big Man
06-14-2005, 04:35 PM
i think that idiot, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, did poorly job by making his foolish decison to put NFl team in canada...

i agree with u and i'm from the Toronto area. I think the N.F.L. is strickly for americans. Its sort of like an American tradition (sitting down on the couch drinking a beer watching the game) god i gotta get my self out of canada and down to san diego.

brzezic
06-14-2005, 06:31 PM
They should really reconsider placing that Toronto team back here in the states.
Toronto is a great city, but I just don't think its meant for football. :Football:

wyattearp65
06-14-2005, 06:59 PM
They should really reconsider placing that Toronto team back here in the states.
Toronto is a great city, but I just don't think its meant for football. :Football:
explain to me why football and canada dont mix. How do you figure that? canada has had the Canadian Football League for over 100 years. you made a statement, and I'm just curious as to what your reasoning is? toronto is a great sports minded city, who supports 3 pro sports teams as it is,
as it stands now Toronto has no N.F.L. team, I think we were only speculating the prospect of having a team. so there's no need to reconsider anything, as for toronto being a great city,how would you know that, when were you here last? :p

wyattearp65
06-14-2005, 07:03 PM
i agree with u and i'm from the Toronto area. I think the N.F.L. is strickly for americans. Its sort of like an American tradition (sitting down on the couch drinking a beer watching the game) god i gotta get my self out of canada and down to san diego.
Since when is sitting down on the couch and having a beer,watching a game an American tradition? Now Tailgating,thats an american tradition!!!
Im a San diegan living in the toronto area, who would love to drive to toronto and possibly watch the bolts play,
Good luck in San Diego.... :p

SuperBowlBolts
06-28-2005, 10:06 PM
so what division would these two teams be in? and wouldn't it mess up that divisions schedule? having 4 division rivals instead of 3? and where all the players come from?

vendetta07
06-29-2005, 02:38 AM
so what division would these two teams be in? and wouldn't it mess up that divisions schedule? having 4 division rivals instead of 3? and where all the players come from?

wasn't it 31 teams only a few years ago?

Bubba86
06-29-2005, 08:00 AM
wasn't it 31 teams only a few years ago?

ya it was but since they added the texans the divisions line up perfectly. i doubt they add any expansion teams soon just because it will mess up everything.

Johndbr
07-03-2005, 02:54 AM
OK, I have not been following this lately, but a month or so ago I heard the Rose Bowl had dropped out of this. The thing is, they were the only ones that had all permits and their part of the financing lined up at the time I researched it. There was Carson and another place that were attempting to get the new stadium and team at the time too, but they had nothing, they were barely ideas on paper. Has that changed? This is starting to look odd. The Commish said he wanted a team in place in LA in 2008, but that is all but impossible now, if no other city has not precured the needed permit {which is not easy and is very costly, because of the environmental studies} or financing, this all could be mute.

John B

vendetta07
07-07-2005, 05:18 AM
I like the idea of having an NFL team outside of the United States. If it can challenge the popularity of that "other" football I'm all for it.

Gold Bolt
07-15-2005, 02:40 PM

L.A.- yes; Toronto- no. I think the midwest needs more representation before we cross our borders. Look at how Nebraska and Oklahoma do at the collegiate levels. I'd like to see Oklahoma City before we raid CFL territory.

broncossuck7
07-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I like the idea of having an NFL team outside of the United States. If it can challenge the popularity of that "other" football I'm all for it.

i agree but, What if a canadian team turns into the montreal expos? No fan support. That is bad for the revenue based part of the franchise

vietdunker
07-15-2005, 10:42 PM

I love to see football play in the Olympic. It would be crazy to see our AFC and NFL all-stars in one team and see how the other nations play against our monsters.

LTfan4life
07-16-2005, 01:53 AM
I say wait til the NFL's up to at least 40 teams and then go across the borders. We need teams in:

L.A.
Las Vegas
Portland
Omaha
San Antonio
Oklahoma City
Little Rock (somewhere down south for a team)
Alberquerque

Maybe even:
Des Moines
Billings, MT
Honolulu
Anchorage, AK

Then:
Toronto
Mexico City
Quebec
Guadalajara
Montreal
Cancun
Tijuana (imagine the rivalry!!!!!) :D
Calgary

Or even: Tokyo!!

Havoc3_20
07-17-2005, 06:47 PM
I live like half an hour away from Toronto so I'd love it if they got a NFL Team but it would really affect the CFL.

vendetta07
07-18-2005, 01:03 AM
i agree but, What if a canadian team turns into the montreal expos? No fan support. That is bad for the revenue based part of the franchise

It's calculated risk imo. If it fails it loses credibility in starting teams elsewhere. If it succeeds, then the sky's the limit - But I think it would go only as far as North America, kind of like baseball.

toronto
09-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Toronto is the perfect city for an NFL Franchise. Unlike Vancouver and Montreal who can't support ****,(Grizzlies and Expos) We have the MLB,NHL,NBA and MLS(Toronto FC 2007). People here in Toronto cant stand the CFL. For a city that has more than 5.5 million people, we want the NFL, and we wanted for a long time.