PDA

View Full Version : Chargers trading in the draft!

chrisburnsie10
02-14-2005, 07:16 AM
The Chargers hold the 12th and the 28th overall picks...they also possess two quality quarterbacks! One who has already proved him self worthy of the starting spot in San Diego. Now the chargers can let Drew Brees go and hope that Phillip Rivers turns out but that could take a couple of years to happen and the Chargers have a Super Bowl contending team right now or will have a Super Bowl contender of a team over the next 2 or 3 years. Therefore i think the best possible situation for the Chargers to come out of is to re-sign Brees! Slap the Franchise tag on him this year and then when he does well give him a large contract next season. On draft day trade Phillip Rivers and our 28th pick to the Dallas Dowboys and get either their 20th overall pick or their 11th (20th seems more probable) and then possibly get a 2nd or 3rd from the cowboys also. By doing this the chargers assure them selves a great defensive end, a top 2 reciever or a great O - lineman with their 12th over all pick. Then with their 20th pick they are assured an elite defensive end, an above average reciever and probaly a good offensive lineman (I only see the top 3 offensive lineman going before the 20th pick!). Then with their 2nd round pick they might also beable to pick up a strong corner or maybe even a wide reciever (troy williamson). Get ride of Rivers, keep Brees, trade up and bring the Chargers a Super Bowl!

chrisburnsie10

BreesLightning
02-14-2005, 09:18 AM
There are a lot of things wrong with your assesment.

1st, we cant trade Rivers after March 11th, the cap hit would be 11 mill.

2nd, To trade Philip and the 28th pick for the 20th and a 2nd rounder isnt going to happen. Get rid of Philip to move up 8 places and a 2nd round pick would be a terible trade. Philip has more potential then any QB in the draft this year. Im sure teams like Cleveland, SF would give up their 1 or 3 overall in exchange for PR.

3rd, this is a weak draft, anyone could go from 10-30th. We will be able to pick up a DE at 28 who is just as good as a DE we could pick up at #20.

foty89
02-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by: BreesLightning
There are a lot of things wrong with your assesment.

1st, we cant trade Rivers after March 11th, the cap hit would be 11 mill.

2nd, To trade Philip and the 28th pick for the 20th and a 2nd rounder isnt going to happen. Get rid of Philip to move up 8 places and a 2nd round pick would be a terible trade. Philip has more potential then any QB in the draft this year. Im sure teams like Cleveland, SF would give up their 1 or 3 overall in exchange for PR.

3rd, this is a weak draft, anyone could go from 10-30th. We will be able to pick up a DE at 28 who is just as good as a DE we could pick up at #20.

Well said.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

lego
02-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by: chrisburnsie10
On draft day trade Phillip Rivers and our 28th pick to the Dallas Dowboys and get either their 20th overall pick or their 11th (20th seems more probable) and then possibly get a 2nd or 3rd from the cowboys also. chrisburnsie10

I think the cheese slid of your cracker. PR was a #4 overall pick last year. If you trade for the 11th overall this year then there is more compensation owed by Dallas. Therefore PR for the #11 pick and 2nd is good enough. No reason to unload any of our 1st round picks.

smlman2
02-14-2005, 10:51 AM
youve been thinking... but not very brightly. not a good idea.

lca9900
02-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by: lego

Originally posted by: chrisburnsie10
On draft day trade Phillip Rivers and our 28th pick to the Dallas Dowboys and get either their 20th overall pick or their 11th (20th seems more probable) and then possibly get a 2nd or 3rd from the cowboys also. chrisburnsie10

I think the cheese slid of your cracker. PR was a #4 overall pick last year. If you trade for the 11th overall this year then there is more compensation owed by Dallas. Therefore PR for the #11 pick and 2nd is good enough. No reason to unload any of our 1st round picks.

If you are going to trade Rivers they better do it before March 11. The cap hit is only $6 million this year. After March 11 it will be $10 million or more.

foty89
02-14-2005, 11:55 AM
They are NOT going to trade PR, there is no benefit to it. Any trade would come with a big cap hit, and though we do have the space, why do it for no gain.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

lca9900
02-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by: foty89
They are NOT going to trade PR, there is no benefit to it. Any trade would come with a big cap hit, and though we do have the space, why do it for no gain.

Go Bolts!

This year we have the room if we were going to trade Rivers. But like after March 11 the cap hit is $10 million or more for the 2006 season. And we will not know our cap number for 2006 until a year from now.

malamute
02-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Trade Rivers to SF for the 1st pick

HBBoltFan
02-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Don't want the first overall. None of the players that the Bolts could use are good #1 picks. If you get the #1, you then need to trade back when it doesn't look like there are any teams willing to give up a lot for that pick. If there is then SF would go for it due to them being in the 'many needs' boat.

roscoeChickn
02-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Hang tight, franchise brees, bench rivers, get a FS, DE, and WR with top three picks, then play season...
if brees succeeds then AJ and Marty will have to make an important decision...
if not let Rivers play...

guimcharger
02-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Neither QB is going anywhere this coming season but after this season Brees will stay because he will prove himself again.

haybren
02-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Best advice I think I have read so far. It covers all three areas of need and I'd like to see Brees play another year at least. Maybe pick up a couple veterans it the FS and DE position to help along the rookies for a season or two.

haybren
02-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by: roscoeChickn
Hang tight, franchise brees, bench rivers, get a FS, DE, and WR with top three picks, then play season...
if brees succeeds then AJ and Marty will have to make an important decision...
if not let Rivers play...

foty89
02-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by: malamute

PR is worth more than that, he is better than any QB in the draft this year, so what else would you have them give us?

Go Bolts!

porterparty
02-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Good thread!! I just read that Cleveland is releasing Garcia now. They will need a qb, NOW!!! How about tagging Brees, trade him to Browns for number 1 pick this year (3rd) and a number 3 this year and a number 1 in 2006. This would give us picks 3, 12, and 28 in rd one and 61 in round 2. Then we draft Edwards or Williams with number 3, Alex Barron with number 12, and Sean cody with number 28 and Kirk Morrison with number 61. Sign a free safety in free agency. Adds 5 new sarters to a 12 and 4 team.

JoeMcRugby
02-15-2005, 01:01 PM
The Browns can pick up Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers with their own pick (3rd in the draft). They'll have Kelly Holcombe to bring their pick along slowly.

With the numerous holes on their roster, I don't see the Browns forking over multiple draft picks for a QB when they can get one with their own pick.

But stranger things have happened. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

malamute
02-16-2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by: foty89

Originally posted by: malamute

PR is worth more than that, he is better than any QB in the draft this year, so what else would you have them give us?

Go Bolts!

How about Cedrick Wilson or Jamie Winborn?

kingporterblood
02-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Trading our last years first round QB and our 28th pick does not make sense just to move up 8 spots, I would rather keep our talent and roll with the punches, Rivers might not make a bad 2nd string Qb you know!

broncossuck7
02-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by: smlman2
youve been thinking... but not very brightly. not a good idea.

i agree.

BreesForMVP
02-17-2005, 06:12 PM
[quote]
Originally posted by: porterparty
Good thread!! I just read that Cleveland is releasing Garcia now. They will need a qb, NOW!!! How about tagging Brees, trade him to Browns for number 1 pick this year (3rd) and a number 3 this year and a number 1 in 2006. This would give us picks 3, 12, and 28 in rd one and 61 in round 2. Then we draft Edwards or Williams with number 3, Alex Barron with number 12, and Sean cody with number 28 and Kirk Morrison with number 61. Sign a free safety in free agency. Adds 5 new sarters to a 12 and 4 team.[/q

UMM.... YOU GOT TO BE JOKING WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU TRADE BREES!!!
COME ON MAN BE REAL!

BreesForMVP
02-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Good thread!! I just read that Cleveland is releasing Garcia now. They will need a qb, NOW!!! How about tagging Brees, trade him to Browns for number 1 pick this year (3rd) and a number 3 this year and a number 1 in 2006. This would give us picks 3, 12, and 28 in rd one and 61 in round 2. Then we draft Edwards or Williams with number 3, Alex Barron with number 12, and Sean cody with number 28 and Kirk Morrison with number 61. Sign a free safety in free agency. Adds 5 new sarters to a 12 and 4 team.

BreesForMVP
02-17-2005, 06:19 PM
^
/ \
|
|
|
THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE STUPIDEST THING ANYONE HAS SAID WHY WOULD YOU TRADE BREES HE IS ONE OF THE MAIN PARTS OF OUR OFFENSE THAT PHILIPS CAN NEVER REPLACE WHY LEAVE YOUR TEAM IN THE HANDS OF A ROOKIE QB!

phicart
02-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by: BreesForMVP

^
/ \
|
|
|
THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE STUPIDEST THING ANYONE HAS SAID WHY WOULD YOU TRADE BREES HE IS ONE OF THE MAIN PARTS OF OUR OFFENSE THAT PHILIPS CAN NEVER REPLACE WHY LEAVE YOUR TEAM IN THE HANDS OF A ROOKIE QB!

I like a man of conviction...even if he hurts your ears and insults his fellow fans...just think of what he must be saying about fans of the rest of the teams in the league. On his point, I agree that trading Brees would be a mistake without some monster compensation. On Rivers, I admit I have only been following football since the 50's, but I thought a player was only a rookie in his first year...if it worked out that Brees was traded and Rivers started, wouldn't he be considered a second year player instead of a rookie?

I like porterparty's first choice...Braylon Edwards, but I just don't see it happening. He is exactly what we need at WR, but we have other needs equally important and a budget to consider. Yeah, OK, we got 21 mil in cap room...we also have deals to get done with Brees AND Gates and two first round picks already. Best bet is to sit back for about ten days and hope that Mike Williams kicks butt at the combine. If he does, and Chicago starts to take interest in him instead of Edwards, we still might put a plan together.

The rest of porterparty's draft choices need a re-thought. Better to move Cody up to 12 and get Shazor at 28...we already have a good free safety in Keil who got moved out of position . Check out his 03 stats. We need a monster strong safety who can look Tony Gonzalez in the eye without fear.