PDA

View Full Version : Clayton vs. Williamson

jig27bolt
02-15-2005, 02:51 PM
i really hope the chargers prefer williamson over a small clayton , im tired of having mini recievers

Hitemhard05
02-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Like i said in another post , i hope mike williams runs a 4.59 40 so he will fall to us

jtzsd43
02-15-2005, 03:05 PM
I actually like Mark Clayton. But there is talk about Brylon Edwards, Mike Williams, Troy Williamson and Roddy White as possible draftees. As long as whoever we draft can help contribute to the team, I really don't care how big or small they are.

anger management
02-15-2005, 03:28 PM
I think Mark Clayton will be an exceptional WR in the NFL. Height is so overrated when it comes to WRs.

Hands
Routes
Speed
YAC
Size

in that order.

Mark excells in the top 4.

williams76
02-15-2005, 08:45 PM
I agree with anger management. Well i agree with the potential draftees of jig27, however if your looking for a big reciever Mike Williams will be the perfect fit. But in the NFL size isn't everthing look at Deion Branch all we know is that he has speed, good routes, and hands, he's not tall. But he's the superbowl MVP. Speed Kils in the NFL.

HeadTrip
02-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by: williams76
I agree with anger management. Well i agree with the potential draftees of jig27, however if your looking for a big reciever Mike Williams will be the perfect fit. But in the NFL size isn't everthing look at Deion Branch all we know is that he has speed, good routes, and hands, he's not tall. But he's the superbowl MVP. Speed Kils in the NFL.

Yeah he was superbowl MVP, but he had a poor, injury ridden season. Size at WR can help prevent the injury part, which is something we could use.. a healthy WR.

talbitz54
02-15-2005, 08:53 PM
I want USC, Junior was good for us, Williams will be too.

smlman2
02-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by: Hitemhard05
Like i said in another post , i hope mike williams runs a 4.59 40 so he will fall to us

that wold be very nice. and then maybe spears at 28. but we have to wait and see.

williams76
02-16-2005, 12:41 AM
Yeah he was superbowl MVP, but he had a poor, injury ridden season. Size at WR can help prevent the injury part, which is something we could use.. a healthy WR.[/quote]

Your size has no factor on the subject of getting injured, it's having your body well conditioned and in the best shape possible, however the most tuned athletes still get hurt. This year is the only year Deion Branch has gotten hurt and look what he came back and did when he came back i could only wish we had a reciever like branch who is bound to break a 10 yard catch into a 50 yd. touchdown. So size means nothing if you look at rice he's tall but he's not the prototype of a big receiver but he's the greatest of all time.

eeks2284
02-16-2005, 12:44 AM
I also want USC.. williams(on) for bolts first pick

RMANCIL
02-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Williams at this time rates ahead of Clayton and it looks like he may be off the board before 12#.

The real question for the Bolts will be should they take Clayton at 12 or

Roddy White wr , Troy Williamson wr don't get confused with Williams U.S.C. (University of Southern California) and Williamson U.S.C. (University of South Carolina).

The Bolts are faced with reaching for a top wr at 12 or perhaps missing out.

The DL and the OLB, FS, OL issue can or could be dealt with at 28 however that may not be the case with WR. I do think the F.A. market will hold the final solution not necessarily that the Bolts will take a wr off the F.A. market but that another team will and eliminate that need for them in round 1#.

Kwakothunder
02-16-2005, 08:32 AM
The only guy I like at WR in the #12 is Edwards, but I doubt that he will fall that far. I am just not sold on M Williams. If Edwards is gone, I would look at what the top DE or LB is available for #12.

Chargeroo
02-16-2005, 09:32 AM
If you take a look at Williamson's game logs you'll notice he gets all of his big games against the lesser competition. When they get into Conference play he's not so hot. If the Bolts take him at #12, I'll be upset. If he can't get it done against the better college teams, how's he going to do against the NFL competition?

Here's a link to his game by game results -

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playe
rId=134901">http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/...rofile?playerId=134901</a>

I'm hoping they can sign one of the WR's from the free agents - I like Mason of Tenn. Let some other team take a reach on a rookie WR.

foober
02-16-2005, 09:35 AM
The chargers already have two 6 5" guys now with good hands. And their smaller wr's do very well. What mark clayton has over the other wrs in this draft is he's more athletic or agile. And he's the best after the catch. He appears to be another Harrison type. Plus he's very tough. Unlike the little guys we haven now.

eeks2284
02-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Here's what a South Carolina fan had to say about Williamson's pro potential and lack of supporting cast.. keep in mind that it was made during christmas when williamson was still relatively an unknown like duntae robinson last year
http://www.sports.freakinacage...12/nfl_draft_troy.html (http://www.sports.freakinacage.net/archives/2004/12/nfl_draft_troy.html)

NFL DRAFT: TROY WILLIAMSON
Ok its time to start thinking about the NFL draft. I am going to go out on a limb here and make my first prediction: Troy Williamson WR University of South Carolina, will be a 2nd or 3rd round steal for whomever drafts him.I cant find much information on him at any of the NFL Draft sites, most dont seem to have updated since he announced he was entering the draft. His stats are underwhelming, just 43 receptions for 835 yards and 7 tds his junior year, and 91 receptions for 1754 yards and 13 tds for his career. But his 19.4 yds per completion led the SEC this year.I couldnt find any stats for this, but if memory serves, i believe he averaged around 30 yards per kickoff return this season as well.His high school stats are more convincing....313 touches for 4629 yards and 49 touchdowns his junior and senior year, in which his team went 30-0 and won 2 state championships. He has nice size, 6'2" 195 lbs. Oh, and did i mention he runs a 4.35-4.40 40 yard dash? Thats faster than Braylon Edwards(Michigan) and Mike Williams(Southern Cal),who are both universally rated ahead of him, and about as fast as Craphonso Thorpe(Florida State) who is rated anywhere from a 2nd to a 4th round pick, about the same as Williamson.By all accounts he is a good kid who has declared for the draft because both his parents are dead and he has some siblings that need taking care of. I dont remember him ever being in trouble while he was here.
I have read that Willamsons downside is that he is a one trick pony: that is, that all he is is a deep threat. But here i beg to differ with the experts. As someone who watched 80% of South Carolina's games for the last 3 seasons, there are some extenuating circumstances that need to be thrown into the mix.

1) The QB situation. In the 3 years Williamson graced our team with his presence, his starting QB's were(freshman year) Corey Jenkins ( now a back up LINEBACKER with the Dolphins) and (sophomore/junior years)Dondrial Pinkins/Syvelle Newton. Now Newton is returning next year, hopefully (God please make this so)as a WR, where he was effective in 2003. And Pinkins, in the tradition of all South Carolina QBs will be entering the workforce with his Business or Hotel Management or Experimental Physical Ed degree. So, the point is, it hasnt exactly been John Elway back there tossing Williamson the ball.Actually, the point is, most of the last three years , its been a Linebacker or Wide Reciever or Pinkins. I dont know if Pinkins can actually play any other positions, but its widely believed around here that he wasnt the brightest light in the night sky and seemed to have confidence issues.

2) The coaching situation: Now, dont get me wrong, i love Lou Holtz.He took our program which had fallen on really hard times and brought them back to repsectability. In state blue chip recruits have actually stopped doubling over with laughter when we recruit them.And if for no other reason than that, Holtz deserves all he respect in the world. But his offense the last three years has been , well, very vanilla. He likes to run the ball. And run. And run. In 2004 , we ran the ball 460 times versus 279 passes(159 completions) I dont have any facts about this, but im 99% sure that the 2001-2004 Game***** were the first team in history to run the QB draw as its featured play. Seriously. We ran like 20 a game. Every game. It was like watching a high school run the Single Wing. If Steve Spurrier changes his mind about coaching here, all he has to do is run QB draw the first play of the first game next season and he will be chased out of the state by an angry mob.Anywa

Thunderstruck
02-16-2005, 01:02 PM
I think Clayton is the receiver most likely to make an immediate impact in the NFL. He has terrific ability to run after the catch, and that is something that our offense really sorely needs. He is fast enough to be a deep threat, but skilled enough to make plays all over the field. If the Bolts draft him, I could see him being used on kickoffs, and on lots of those little dink-and-dunk passes the Chargers like to run on first down where they ask the receiver to catch the ball and then make a play on his own. He also looks like he'd be good for reverses and end-arounds.

He also has exceptional hands.

phicart
02-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by: Kwakothunder
The only guy I like at WR in the #12 is Edwards, but I doubt that he will fall that far. I am just not sold on M Williams. If Edwards is gone, I would look at what the top DE or LB is available for #12.

Agreed. Those of you looking at Williamson, though, I can see why you like him...4.3anything is awesome and the rip on him being JUST a deep threat ain't that much of a concern...for rounds 2 and beyound. Just hasn't shown himself to be worth our #12 or 28 in view of our defensive needs.

Edited update...saw the note just below and went cruising. Sure enough, Williamson is at a high of 20 with the Cowboys down to a 31 with Philly depending on whom you ask...the Jets, Pit and Baltimore are in between. Interesting isn't strong enough...with the possibility of 5 or more WR's all trying to squeeze into the first round, the combine is going to be _______________(Fill in the blank).

JoeMcRugby
02-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Just like LT, Williamson played in a run-focused offense in college. Nobody knew if LT could catch the ball until the Senior Bowl because he wasn't asked to do it at all in his offensive scheme.

Because of the great hands he showed at the Senior Bowl all week long, Williamson has shot up the charts. He's a mid to late 1st round pick currently, and if he shines at the combine and individual workouts, he'll be pressing the top 10.

We'll see how it works out. Should be interesting.

HeadTrip
02-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Depending on the combine, he sounds like a reach at 12, but will be gone at 28 i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif.

Tomlinson21
02-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Troy Williamson is roughly 6'0 some say a tad smaller...some a tad taller. But anyway, you put a guy in their with a time like that on a 40 - you have to compare him to the next Daunte Hall, Santana Moss or Mason from the Titans.

As I've said in other threads here - you get a 2 for 1 deal with him because he's explosive on kicks. You won't have to worry about Parker getting injured nor do you have to worry about Dwight being a hypochondriac.

AJ even said he wants a kick returner as well so I think Troy fits the bill. I think Williamson would be a #3 WR at best at the slot and full time on kicks. I don't see him at # 12. I see him more at #28.

HeadTrip
02-19-2005, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by: Tomlinson21
Troy Williamson is roughly 6'0 some say a tad smaller...some a tad taller. But anyway, you put a guy in their with a time like that on a 40 - you have to compare him to the next Daunte Hall, Santana Moss or Mason from the Titans.

As I've said in other threads here - you get a 2 for 1 deal with him because he's explosive on kicks. You won't have to worry about Parker getting injured nor do you have to worry about Dwight being a hypochondriac.

AJ even said he wants a kick returner as well so I think Troy fits the bill. I think Williamson would be a #3 WR at best at the slot and full time on kicks. I don't see him at # 12. I see him more at #28.

Every site ive seen has him listed at 6'2''

MrDiegoTown
02-20-2005, 02:57 AM
Forget both of them...Mike Williams is 6'5 230lbs....the guy is a beast...like I said before a T.O. type of WR. Thats who we should pick up at #12. No doubt about it.

MrDiegoTown
02-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Sorry 6'4

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8207281

1. Braylon Edwards, Michigan

Positives: Large hands, strength, leaping, body control, toughness, precise route runner, ability to make difficult catch Combination of a breakout season as a senior and immense physical talent should make him a shoo-in to become a top-10 pick.

Negatives: Speed to get open deep, reading zone coverage, inconsistent blocking, and tendency to occasionally drop easy passes.

2. Mike Williams, USC (underclassman)

Positives: Tremendous size (6-foot-4, 230 pounds), long arms, large hands, adjustment to poor throws, ability to catch passes in traffic, cutting Williams remains the excellent prospect he was before his failed attempt to enter last year's draft as a sophomore. The fact he was forced to sit out last season because he was ruled ineligible to return to the Trojans could hurt his stock a bit, although he still should be no worse than a top-20 selection.

Negatives: Potential rust from not playing in 2004, elusiveness in the open field, maturity, concern about his ability to keep his weight under control.

3. Troy Williamson, South Carolina (underclassman)

South Carolina WR Troy Williamson has the ability to become an NFL star.
Positives: Outstanding deep speed, large and soft hands, long arms, willing blocker even if, at 6-1 and 202 pounds, he might not have the bulk or strength from the waist down to always win physical battles to help create running room for ball carriers Game-breaking potential should make his decision to leave school after a productive junior season pay off with him becoming a first-round choice.

Negatives: Elusiveness and explosiveness after the catch, overall strength, ability to separate against larger and more physical defensive backs, intermediate route running.

4. Mark Clayton, Oklahoma

Positives: Smart route running and knack for finding openings in zone coverage, elusiveness, lateral movement, burst after the catch Dominant performance in the Senior Bowl helped his stock tremendously, and he should be chosen somewhere in the bottom half of the first round.

Negatives: Size (5-10, 185 pounds), getting off the line against larger and more physical defensive backs, absence of elite speed in the open field to take full advantage of the quickness he shows on his release and running routes.

5. Chris Henry, West Virginia (underclassman)

Positives: Size (6-4, 190 pounds), speed, elusiveness, leaping ability, body control Has all of the physical qualities of a first-round pick, but disciplinary concerns (he was suspended twice during the 2004 season) could very well cause him to drop into the second round.

Negatives: Discipline, inconsistent route running, concentration on catching the ball.

phicart
02-21-2005, 12:13 PM
That ranking list seems to be the consensus despite some of the individual assessments being different. I guess we find out more this week.

porterparty
02-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by: RMANCIL
Williams at this time rates ahead of Clayton and it looks like he may be off the board before 12#.

Roddy White wr , Troy Williamson wr don't get confused with Williams U.S.C. (University of Southern California) and Williamson U.S.C. (University of South Carolina).

The DL and the OLB, FS, OL issue can or could be dealt with at 28 however that may not be the case with WR. I do think the F.A. market will hold the final solution not necessarily that the Bolts will take a wr off the F.A. market but that another team will and eliminate that need for them in round 1#.

If both Edwards and Williams are gone at number 12, trade down 5 or 6 spots and get Clayton, Williamson or White at say 16 or 17 and receive say a 3rd rounder, or switch up in 2nd round to get free safety or lb(Morrison?). Has Williamson returned punts/ko's?

phicart
02-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by: porterparty

If both Edwards and Williams are gone at number 12, trade down 5 or 6 spots and get Clayton, Williamson or White at say 16 or 17 and receive say a 3rd rounder, or switch up in 2nd round to get free safety or lb(Morrison?). Has Williamson returned punts/ko's?

While we do need another WR, I'm not convinced we need to get one in the first round at all costs. The further you go down the WR draft gene pool, the dicey the pick becomes. It's been noted all around that we had a pretty good offense last year that needs minor upgrades. Unless a miracle haappens and Edwards is available at 12, I see us going defense at 12 and 28 and thinking WR beginning in round two or FA.

MrDiegoTown
02-22-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by: phicart

Originally posted by: porterparty

While we do need another WR, I'm not convinced we need to get one in the first round at all costs. The further you go down the WR draft gene pool, the dicey the pick becomes. It's been noted all around that we had a pretty good offense last year that needs minor upgrades. Unless a miracle haappens and Edwards is available at 12, I see us going defense at 12 and 28 and thinking WR beginning in round two or FA.

I agree...if we don't go WR in the first round...then we'll defintely pick one up via free agency. But who?? Coles,Burress,K.Johnson? If anything I'd go Burress, but I dont know if he'll click with AJ.

jig27bolt
02-22-2005, 11:42 PM
If both Edwards and Williams are gone at number 12, trade down 5 or 6 spots and get Clayton, Williamson or White at say 16 or 17 and receive say a 3rd rounder, or switch up in 2nd round to get free safety or lb(Morrison?). Has Williamson returned punts/ko's

I totally DIG this post except for tghe fact what happens If a Derrick Johnson or a spears is there at 12 THEN WHAT- but if its WR first I totally love this idea.

RMANCIL
02-23-2005, 04:20 AM
Trading down is a great answer for the Bolts but finding a dance partner may not be so easy.

The Bolts will look at the talent and pick the best player on the board however in situations where the talent is level then the depth of the position in the draft becomes the deciding factor.

phicart
02-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Trading down is a great answer for the Bolts but finding a dance partner may not be so easy.

The Bolts will look at the talent and pick the best player on the board however in situations where the talent is level then the depth of the position in the draft becomes the deciding factor.

I'd call Red McCombs and see if he was interested in doing some more trading before slipping out of town. Our 12 and a late rounder for his 18th and 2nd round pick(#49). Those six positions up for them could get them the 4-3 DE they need ahead of possible competition from Houston and KC and shouldn't hurt us for the 3-4 DE we need. We gain by having two first and two second round picks.