PDA

View Full Version : #12 Pick : Thomas Davis - Safety

urlacher54
02-19-2005, 02:41 AM
We need this guy at 12, im just reminding everyone to adress our defensive side of the ball. We dont need marcus spears or a Defensive lineman at 12, its a waste and the lineman this year go in depth. Can always get a pretty good lineman in 2nd round or so, but Thomas Davis is the guy we need most, thats all. Prolly get Roscoe Parish at 28 or so...

Rip
02-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Brodney Pool would be a better pick for us. He is much better in coverage. We already have kiel at S and Jammer at CB for the big hits, but we need a guy who can come up and make the INT when we need it.

Dont get me wrong, i have no problem with getting Thomas Davis, but i just think Pool would be a better fit

jtzsd43
02-19-2005, 10:57 AM
You bring up a good point RIP, out of all the safeties going into the draft, i.e. Thomas Davis, Brodney Pool, Ernest Shazor and such, which of them are ball hogs? We could use more turnovers on the defensive side of the ball. More turnovers on defense means more opportunity for our offense to blow out opposing teams.

smlman2
02-19-2005, 04:50 PM
you must not understand the importance of the trenches if you think we dont need a DE in the draft or Free agency. i would liek to see us get someone good in free agency but after howard was signed im not sure if anyone else is worth it. so we deffinately need to get the best De available and not settle for a second round average joe. we need a playmaker at DE. i too agree with rip. i think pool would fit better.

IgorUnchained
02-19-2005, 07:20 PM
I am still hoping for Thomas Davis at #12. I know the guy doesnt seem to be a coverage type SS, but I think his physical tools could help him BECOME great in coverage, great against the run, and a man to be feared over the middle!

I would of course have Kiel at FS if we got Thomas Davis with #12 and put him at SS.

Thunderstruck
02-19-2005, 09:48 PM
I don't want to draft a safety at all. DBs take too long to develop in the NFL and I want a guy we can plug in to the position and forget about it for the next two or three years. I'd rather invest some FA money in a veteran safety and use the draft picks elsewhere.

Even Sean Taylor, as vaunted as he was coming out of college, was not a starter for the Redskins this year. We need a starter, not a guy to come off the bench.

Rip
02-20-2005, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by: Thunderstruck
Even Sean Taylor, as vaunted as he was coming out of college, was not a starter for the Redskins this year.

Are you positive about that???

IgorUnchained
02-20-2005, 02:37 AM
I saw Sean start in most of the earlier games, but I confess I didnt see many of the later Redskins games.

Alot of DBs are still finding their place in the NFL with the new (not new, just enforced) rules regarding contact after 5 yards. Add that to the fact that most FA DBs will have to adjust to playing with new people, under new coaches, and in the 3-4 defense.

I dont think we gain much at all by getting DBs out of the draft.

jtzsd43
02-20-2005, 10:29 AM
I agree with Thunderstruck, It just takes too much time for a DB to develope. An experienced FA safety is what we need right now. Someone like, umm...i don't know, Donovan Darius.

JoeMcRugby
02-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Actually, although he played a lot, Sean Taylor didn't start.

As had been happening all year long, off the field problems kept him from starting. In October, right about the time that he was ready to start, Taylor got arrested for a DUI.

That burned Gibbs up and kept him from starting for the rest of the season. He's a great talent, but as somewhat of a Skins fan, he's a guy I'm worried about as far as his personal problems keeping him from fulfilling his potential and being a team player.

I hope he gets his act together this offseason and explodes on the NFL scene in 2005.

mojorasol
02-20-2005, 11:23 AM
donovan darius is the way to go, put him at the free safety spot because of his coverage skills and let kiel stay at ss.

i think if marcus spears is there at 12 you have got to consider taking him.

unless someone better is there, like mike williams or derrick johnson.

then you can get saun cody at 28.

brodney pool looks good if you have to take a fs in the draft...

foty89
02-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by: Rip
Brodney Pool would be a better pick for us. He is much better in coverage. We already have kiel at S and Jammer at CB for the big hits, but we need a guy who can come up and make the INT when we need it.

Dont get me wrong, i have no problem with getting Thomas Davis, but i just think Pool would be a better fit

Nice post Rip, I would have to agree with you. Now this is all theoretical at this point, A.J. may go out and get a free agent to fill this hole before we get to the draft. But if we are to go into the draft needing to draft one, this is the way to go.

Go Bolts!
i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif

Rip
02-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby

He started 13 of the 15 games he played in

Thunderstruck
02-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by: Rip

Originally posted by: JoeMcRugby

He started 13 of the 15 games he played in

Okay, so I was mistaken on that. Still, Taylor is about as good as DBs come out of college, and none of the guys coming out in this draft is as good as he is. Doesn't change my opinion that I'd rather sign a veteran who can be plugged into the position than hope a rookie can be an impact player.

Rip
02-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Rookie S make immediate impacts every year. Sean Taylor wasnt the only one this year. Madieu Williams had a great season in cincinatti. Once he came back from his injury Bob Sanders really played well and helped the colts defense.

Infernus
02-20-2005, 09:28 PM
I see the Lions taking him at 10 though.

Brodney Pool in the 2nd round maybe? Thatd make for a pair of second rounders at safteys.

Love the Donovan Darius but does he want out of JAX at all?

kingporterblood
02-24-2005, 03:00 PM
agreed

huskeraztec
02-24-2005, 04:39 PM
I know this is a Homer responce, but their is safety coming out of Nebraska, Josh Bullocks (JR.). His sophomore year he lead the nation with 20 picks. But with all the changes at NU, meaning have a different defensive coordinator each of the past three years, he will go relatively unnoticed and we could get him in the second round, which would be a steel. We need a playmaker in the secondary someone who can pick off a few balls

Josh Bullocks

Height: 6.0'
Weight: 205
40: 4.50

mcwilliamsda
02-24-2005, 07:55 PM
The problem with getting the Best DE in the Draft is that it would be a wasted pick for our 3-4 scheme. In the 3-4 you pass rush comes mainly from the LB not the DE. The DL's job is to keep the blockers off the LB core so that they can make plays. For an example of this look at Pitt or Baltimore. So don't spend a fairly high draft pick on a DE when what you really need is a tweener type (DE/DT) in all three DL positions; and there will be plenty of them left. Get the Safety (T. Davis) or a playmaker at LB... you know Donnie Edwards has 13/14 years in the league it's time to start grooming someone to replace him.

blueandyellow72
02-25-2005, 07:25 AM
New poster - so bear with me. I would really have to agree with mcwilliamsda through and through - linebackers are what makes it happen in a 3-4 defence. Good DE's do not hurt at all but without playmakers at the Linebacker position the 3-4 struggles large. Donnie Edwards is fantastic but gettiing a skilled LB would be jackpot for 3-4. I invite all to jump all over this post. A question to...who is the best fit as far as LB or DE for the Bolts do you think?

Go Bolts!

JoeMcRugby
02-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by: mcwilliamsda
The problem with getting the Best DE in the Draft is that it would be a wasted pick for our 3-4 scheme. In the 3-4 you pass rush comes mainly from the LB not the DE. The DL's job is to keep the blockers off the LB core so that they can make plays. For an example of this look at Pitt or Baltimore. So don't spend a fairly high draft pick on a DE when what you really need is a tweener type (DE/DT) in all three DL positions; and there will be plenty of them left. Get the Safety (T. Davis) or a playmaker at LB... you know Donnie Edwards has 13/14 years in the league it's time to start grooming someone to replace him.

Donnie is a vet and has been around for a while, but don't put him in a nursing home yet.

He's 31 years old and has played 9 years in the NFL.

mcwilliamsda
02-25-2005, 01:16 PM
I stand corrected, as far as how long D. Edwards has been in the league. But I still stand by my original statement that the best DE in the draft is not an effective pick for the Chargers at the number 12 pick. I am not going to say one position is more of a concern than the other when it comes tot he DB's and LB's but in the 3-4 playmaking LB's (more than just solid play) is what makes the 3-4 system work and work very well. Steve Foley came in this year and gave us a pass-rushing threat, but he was the only reall pass rush threat we had. Put another playmaking LB on the other side, with D. Edwards shoring up the middle and your talking instantly better Pass-Def.

As far as the Chargers DB situation we have to understand that the core of the DB's are still very young. Adding more youth and experience may not be best play. But if the organization does choose to go that direction they better make sure that they get a "Sean Taylor" like saftey (I think the corners will be okay) who is going to come in and make a difference from the 1st play, starting in pre-season.

In addition we have 2 first round picks this year, thank you NY Giants and Eli Manning. I feel both picks should be spent on the Defense, LB and DB. We do need a playmaker at the WR spot but this year the WR position is pretty deep; we might still get a great WR in the 2nd round.

I say pick a LB at 12, and a Safety at 21(?) unless the top two are gone (T. Davis and that other guy they been talking about.) and then if that's the case get a Great WR. Remember, Oakland has Randy Moss and Jerry Porter now and that is gonna be a major concern for us defensively (have you seen our pass defense ranking?) I even like that kid out of Oregon State (Corner) he's like 6'3" fast and strong.