PDA

View Full Version : how big of a fan are you?

laschwa
04-04-2005, 05:29 PM
i'm not sure where this thread belongs but thought it be fun off the regular beaten forum path.

this is not meant to be a competition. i just thought it be fun to read your story(ies) about how much of a charger fan you are.

for example, i'm a 35 year old man with a lovely wife and child, working in a very respectable multi-national company, yet i have a room that's a shrine to the chargers. everything from framed SIs with chargers, to the foam yellow bolt, to 4 different charger helmets, seau shirt hanging, tons of charger action figures and bobble heads, buttons, key chains, cards, not to mention copies of all their best seasons from NFL films and the Winslow game vs. Miami in the playoffs.

i also flew from toronto to SD to see two games (Seattle and Denver).

and here's the kicker: the day after my wedding day on my honeymoon, i sat in a sports bar all day watching the chargers and the pats a few years ago (we won - i think 28-21).

my friends still make fun of me for that one.

so i want to hear how pathetic/passionate you are. it will at least make me feel like i'm not nuts.

chargertom
04-04-2005, 07:13 PM
:eek: I too am a die-hard bolt fan. Born and raised in San Diego, my father worked for the company that built San Diego Stadium. It was love at first sight. I also have the room dedicated to the Chargers. Chargers everywhere. Chargers buttons, AFC West, and AFC Champs pennants, shot glasses, 6 different coffee mugs, signed Charlie Joiner helmet (my wedding gift from my wife!), framed Seau jersey, several different autographed pics, 14 different Charger hats on a shelf. Chargers curtains made by my wife (thanks honey!). I have every White Rose Collectible Chargers diecast diesel tractor and trailer from 1990 to the present. I have a dozen other different die cast trucks, cars, Hummer, Corvette, Funny Car, Mustang, PT Cruiser. Love the diecast stuff. Super Bowl 29 framed shirt, Chargers throw rug, mousepads, coasters, 5 jerseys, Chargers sweatpants, about 20 t-shirts. I have plate frames, plates, decals and fender badges on my Tahoe. My wife says I'm a lunatic, but she let's me carry on. My 1 year old has his own Flutie and Seau jerseys. Sports a hat that says "Born To Be A Chargers Fan". He has his own shirts, hats, bibs, beanies, socks, and several sweat outfits. The wife even has a Seau jersey. One big happy Charger family. I have tons of media guides, programs, videos, bobblehead of Seau, and even a Seau beanie baby bear! I won't even talk about my office, or my warehouse at work. Chargers stuff everywhere. Pennants, clocks, helmets, stickers on everything (Thanks SDRaiderHater). Drives the other teams fans nuts, but oh well. Probably a ton of stuff I've left out, but you get the idea. I represent! Loud and proud! Always loved 'em, and always will. Go Bolts! :cool:

charger33
04-04-2005, 07:23 PM
I also have the same "Room of Honor". Not quite as lavish as you guys, but it is growing. I also show my colors on my left bicep, I have a 2x2 inch helmet tattoe.

laschwa
04-04-2005, 09:45 PM
chargertom you rock. that's awesome. i'm not a freak after all, or at least i'm not alone as one. i'd love to see a digital pic of that shrine. it sounds unbelievable. mine pales in comparison.

thehotdelancey
04-09-2005, 05:24 PM
I am a huge charger fan.

lt1800
04-17-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm not a collector of memorabilia, but I have been a Chargers fan literally since I have been walking. In 1974, my dad was stationed in SD in the Navy, and took me to a Chargers practice. I was 2 years old. I have been a fan ever since. I lived and died with Air Coryell. The 1981 playoffs for me were the ultimate emotional roller coaster - the best game ever played, followed by getting absolutely SCREWED having to go to Cincinatti in -59!! I think I actually cried when they lost - hey give me a break, I was only 10 ;)

fregon
04-21-2005, 04:33 PM
I might not have as much memorabilia as you, but I've done the greatest deed of all.... I converted a "how many points is a touchdown?" chick (my gf) to a die-hard charger fan who will call the penalties on the field faster than the ref can throw the flag... We drive to SD to every home game from 100 miles away...not to mention I named my dog "Charger" and if I was black I will call my first born LaDainian Antonio!

i'm not sure where this thread belongs but thought it be fun off the regular beaten forum path.

this is not meant to be a competition. i just thought it be fun to read your story(ies) about how much of a charger fan you are.

for example, i'm a 35 year old man with a lovely wife and child, working in a very respectable multi-national company, yet i have a room that's a shrine to the chargers. everything from framed SIs with chargers, to the foam yellow bolt, to 4 different charger helmets, seau shirt hanging, tons of charger action figures and bobble heads, buttons, key chains, cards, not to mention copies of all their best seasons from NFL films and the Winslow game vs. Miami in the playoffs.

i also flew from toronto to SD to see two games (Seattle and Denver).

and here's the kicker: the day after my wedding day on my honeymoon, i sat in a sports bar all day watching the chargers and the pats a few years ago (we won - i think 28-21).

my friends still make fun of me for that one.

so i want to hear how pathetic/passionate you are. it will at least make me feel like i'm not nuts.

sandyk
04-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Hubby & I, plus two of our kids are huge fans. Gone to training camps & got autographs on numerous jerseys, footballs, cards.Took pics of the kids with players (a fav is one with D Flo), plus lots of pics of the players on the practice field. It was nice, the players are so friendly & willing to sign for the fans.
Our first game to attend was the Monday Night Game that was moved to Tempe. We made it.
The last game of of I'd had a hysterectomy & went to the game with staples still in! I had a wheelchair & club seats for that game. Hubby had talked about selling them incase I wasn't up to going. That only made me more determined to get out of the hospital. Had the surgury on Monday & was at the game on Sunday! I then drove the following Saturday with the two kids to the play-off game! I wasn't suppose to drive for 3 more weeks. Again, hubby suggested selling the tickets as I was slowing down & he had to go on the road & couldn't go to the game. Ha, I made it. Those two games meant a lot, Fluties last (played) game as a Charger & the first play-off game in 10 years.
Needless to say we love our Chargers!

TattoedBoltFan
05-01-2005, 02:41 PM
:Helmet: I also have a Charger Tattoo on my left bicep it's the Bolt 4" in length 1" in height full color. I have the Super Bowl XXIX penndent and 3 others (Seau and 2 Basics), I have a hand made tapastry, a blanket a pair of seude powder blue cowboy hats with the throwback sheild emblem several footballs including 1 Autographed by the entire 2001 team, 2 mini helmets auto'd by Fouts and Tomlinson, framed jersey auto'd by Flutie,several hats 1 auto'd by D.Fouts,D.Brees,T.Dwight,V.Fox,D.Binn,& J.Seau,box of Super Charged Flutie Flakes,Die cast hummers and cars,Tomlison action figures,8 Tshirts,1 Authentic Seau jersey,1 Authentic Gates jersey, replica jerseys of: R.Harrison,J.Seau,L.Tomlinson,R.Leaf,C.Conway,& F.Jones, and an incredible amount of Rookie Cards,Auto'd Cards,& Jersey/Materials Cards. R/C's from J.Kemp, J.Hadl,D.Fouts,J.Jefferson,K.Winslow to LT's Sp Authentic R/C #'d to 500 with a 2 color piece of game worn jersey on it.
To Autographed cards of: D.Fouts,C.Joiner,S.Humphries,D.Flutie,K.Winslow,L. Tomlinson,D.Brees,A.Dingle,R.Caldwell,K.Osgood,E.P arker,M.Turner,D.Diedrick,R.Krause,P.Rivers,D.Dick enson,Z.Moreno,C.Polk,T.Charles,Q.Jammer,J.Peele,J .Norman,& A.Pinnock.
To Jersey/Material Cards of:
J.Seau,D.Flutie,L.Tomlinson,D.Brees,T.Cody,Z.Moren o,M.Turner,P.Rivers,R.Caldwell,C.Conway,& F.Jones.
And the Beckett monthly with L.Tomlinson and D.Brees on the cover "Super Charged" Auto'd by D.Brees.
Love those Chargers"GO BOLTS"

geekster
05-01-2005, 02:43 PM
How big of a fan am I? Oh, about 245lbs as of this morning. ;)

chargertom
05-01-2005, 04:27 PM

Wow geekster ... you're just a lil fella. ;)

Go Chargers! :Bolt:

Chargeroo
05-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Me too!

TattoedBoltFan-Welcome to the forum! You do know that some day those tattoos will date you, don't you? When that day comes, you'll wish the hell you never had them. ;)

I attended the first game they ever played in San Diego (at Balboa Stadium) and I wasn't a kid - gives you an idea how old I'm getting. Although I now live in Oregon, I too have a room in my house that's known as the "Charger Room" due to the decorations.

PhillyFan
05-01-2005, 06:04 PM

I.....got.....you....beat!

Although I haven't weighed myself recently, but I'm pretty sure that I'm right.

geekster
05-01-2005, 06:05 PM

Which is what my son keeps telling me! ;)

chargertom
05-01-2005, 06:28 PM
I don't know what happened in my family. My dad is 5'9" 165, my mom is 5'5" 130. I'm 6'2" and 295. My middle brother is 6'1" 275, and my 'little' brother is 6' 4" and 300. My dad swears the UPS man was 6' 3" and 275 ;) Needless to say tho .. he's never had to worry about chores getting done, or having anyone give him any problems. ;) My son, who is 14 months old now, went to the pediatrician recently, where we were informed that his height is on target for him to be 6' 4" - 6' 8" tall. Right now, he's the average height of a 32 month old boy. Watch out NFL! ;)

PhillyFan
05-01-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't know what happened in my family. My dad is 5'9" 165, my mom is 5'5" 130. I'm 6'2" and 295. My middle brother is 6'1" 275, and my 'little' brother is 6' 4" and 300. My dad swears the UPS man was 6' 3" and 275 ;) Needless to say tho .. he's never had to worry about chores getting done, or having anyone give him any problems. ;) My son, who is 14 months old now, went to the pediatrician recently, where we were informed that his height is on target for him to be 6' 4" - 6' 8" tall. Right now, he's the average height of a 32 month old boy. Watch out NFL! ;)

Well it's obvious that your last name isn't Atkins. :-)

chargertom
05-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Definitely not! ;)

jess89
05-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Big Big Big

Fan

boltsrulebaby
05-02-2005, 11:01 AM
:Helmet: Hey all you bolt fans! How's it hangin? This is my first thread on here,I just joined today. I hope to make alot of football buddies while I am on here.I feel like I am knowledgeable when it comes to the chargers, I have been a fan since 1977.

Was last seson GREAT or what? Talk about a 360 turn. Going 4-12 in 2003 to division CHAMPS in 04'. It was very exciting to see Drew finally break out of his freshman and sophmore slump, haha! He looked like the QB we all thought he could be, with the accuracy and leadership. I don't think his arm is all that weak. I hear so called "experts" saying his arm isn't that strong, well not everyone has a Dan Marino type arm, do they?His ability to lead the team was quite noticeable also. The other guys seem to follow off Drew's fire and passion for each and every game. :9:

What's left to be said about No. 21, LADANION TOMLINSON. He is the BEST RB the chargers have ever had, I think.If any of you disagree let me know why and who is the best? I would just like to know.LT can run as we all know and have seen, bye,bye.But his ability to catch the ball has grown every season since being drafted.Two yrs ago he had 100 catches as a RB. first time that's ever been done.He blocks pretty well to for a some what smaller back. He makes up for that with a BIG heart and desire. :21: RULES!!

Like I said in my opening I have been a charger fan since 1977.

Chargeroo
05-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it.

I doubt you'll have anyone saying LT isn't the best. The Chargers have had some very good RB's over the years, all the way from Lowe and Lincoln to LT today. In between we saw Dickie Post, Mike Garrett, Don Wood, Chuck Muncie, and countless others. Many of them were excellent but LT stands out among all of them. The kid is really great! Here's hoping he has a very long career.

We have a thread for new people to introduce theirself - it's here;

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?p=787354#post787354

Lightning
05-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Well, I am a Diehard Charger fan living in Los Angeles ( I should get points just for having to live in raider country ) , season ticket holder for six years-five seats...drive down for EVERY game including preseason, mini-camps-training camps, "try" to get an away game in every season ( not always possible ) have been to denver, arizona (twice), jacksonville. Got the day after weddding story beat....was supposed to go to hawaii for our ten year anniversary, instead talked the wife into flying on the millenium weekend to denver and see the Chargers beat the donkeys at the old mile high. Wife could care less about football when we first got together , now is a diehard fan so much so that even her mom goes to the games with us now too...that's two confirmed converts to my credit. Passed up double time for sunday work in order to see the Chargers play.

Have the "Chargers den" complete with much personalized memorablia, incuding two complete team autographed official balls "93" & "94" season. A ball that was signed by a dozen plus alumni at "Big hands" Johnson's ceremony which I actually got Ray Preston to catch from that stands and was passed around by him for guys to sign and thrown back to me.

Do my absolute best to be the "Twelveth Man" at the games extremely quiet on offense and loud as humanly possible on defense! think I'm kidding just come by my seats and see....I guarantee that I live up to my nickname of "Lightning" at the games.

lightningstrike
05-06-2005, 12:01 PM
I too am a huge charger fan.My room is painted blue and yellow I also have a mini replica and a full size replica helmet of the chargers signed by hall of famer Ron Mix,a football signed by winslow and ben leber (which I meet them),two charger hats,Drew brees bobblehead, afc champs pennant,calenders,stickers,antonio gates and tim dwight jersey,long sleeved shirt,trash can,two chargers pins,a yard stick that shows the chargers helmet and says''HOME OF THE CHARGERS",a foam finger and a binder full of charger trading cards,I think that's it.TRUE CHARGER FAN HERE.

:Helmet: GO CHARGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

viento1602
05-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Well, I would say i am a big charger fan. I live in LA, pasadena actually, but I drive my 1969 vw bus with chargers decals all over it everywhere around here in raderland w/out any probs. the picture is me by myself at the raider game in oakland dressed in my gear last year, so thats pretty crazy, no I did not get beat up or stabed. Acttually most of the fans up there were cool, some even bought me a beer! I have seson tix and go to every game. My chick thinks im a nut, she hates football, but thats cool, i wear a charger hat or shirt almost every day of the year.

geekster
05-06-2005, 01:04 PM

Tom,

When I went to my first Chargers game at the LA Collisium with my Dad - I was 4'9" tall and weighed less that 100 lbs - I'm a *lot* bigger Charger fan today than ever before! ;)

grumpynat
09-08-2007, 01:11 AM
For starters, I have a Chargers tattoo...got part of it in 2001 and the rest after we beat Denver in Denver last year. (Although, of course, now they changed the font and bolt so I don't match.)

After the Chargers/Cardinals game here in AZ on 8/25, I got to meet and get autographs from many players after the game. I had Vincent Jackson sign my tattoo....the sharpie lasted about 4 days (thank goodness for digital cameras.)

Not to mention, of course, the house decorated in lovely hues of blue and gold with signs and memorabilia everywhere.

It's nice to see a LOT of loyal long-term fans!!