PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fighting

IgorUnchained
04-12-2005, 08:46 PM
I am a big fan of Ultimate Fighting, especially in the UFC and Pride FC. Spike TV has had a reality show that ended every week with an ultimate fighting match....sure beats the heck out of "The Bachelor" if you ask me!

The cool thing is that it comes on right after WWF/WWE Wrestling.....so you have grown men pretending to fight in tights followed by regular sized guys beating the snot out of each other FOR REAL right afterwards. I hope that some of those wrestling fans hung around long enough to watch the season finale last night!

There were 3 matches- the first was the middleweight winners from the reality show (Middleweights are about 185lbs), then it had the Light Heavyweights (205 lbs), and then Ken Shamrock against Rick Franklin.

The best part of the night was the Light Heavyweights. 3 rounds worth of some of the best action I have ever seen.
http://img180.echo.cx/img180/8103/forreststephanufc3ew.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

I was wondering if there were any other fans of the series or of UFC/Pride FC in the house.....and if not, why not?

EDIT-- Im sure that Spike reruns the show at some point in the week, if you are into this sort of thing, check out your local listings or the SpikeTV website to see when it will be rerun....you wont regret it!

EDIT EDIT- (from Sherdog.com)
To Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar: I personally want to thank you for doing what you did on Saturday night. While I thank every fighter for putting his or her life on the line every time he or she climbs into the ring or cage, specific thanks goes to those two 205-pound studs. The TUF finale was crucial and had to be exciting for the casual fans. A fight almost cannot be more exciting, more enthralling, more exhilarating, more dramatic or more satisfying than Griffin-Bonnar.

Itís almost impossible.

Looking ahead many years, I can guarantee to everybody who is a part of MMA in some form or another that the war between Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar will be viewed as the most important fight in American MMA history.

sanluischargerfan
04-12-2005, 11:35 PM
I saw that last night as well. That was crazy. One of the dudes coaching the reality show is from San Luis Obispo. Chuck Liddell is fighting for the championship later on and is the # 1 ranked contender.

IgorUnchained
04-12-2005, 11:53 PM
I have been watching UFC since it came out (or there abouts in 1994) - and I remember when Chuck Liddell had his first fight. He just looked like a shmuck with his redneck mohawk and his "Kempo" tattoo....I just knew he was going to lose. That was around the time in the evolution of UFC where stand up fighters got beat by grapplers all the time - I didnt think Liddell had a chance.

Ive been wrong alot, but that was a doozy!

Chuck is the best striker out there right now and has the best takedown defense in all of mixed martial art. I often rooted for him (after that first fight) and the fact that he was from SLO was a big part of it. I also rooted for Ken Shamrock from day one (until UFC 40 when Tito Ortiz beat him "well") and Ken fights out of San Diego.

Tank Abbott, Tito Ortiz, and a few others fight out of Huntington Beach, so I figured there would be a few more of you California UFC fans.

C}{ARG3R
04-13-2005, 12:28 AM
I hope that some of those wrestling fans hung around long enough to watch the season finale last night!

Actually the season finally wasn't last night. That was a rerun, because I seen it. I think it was a few day to a week ago that it was live. Just wanted to correct that, :) and yes the second fight was off the hook!!

***EDIT***
Just wanted to add that I got the whole thing on tape too!

IgorUnchained
04-13-2005, 01:59 AM
Actually the season finally wasn't last night. That was a rerun, because I seen it. I think it was a few day to a week ago that it was live. Just wanted to correct that, :) and yes the second fight was off the hook!!

***EDIT***
Just wanted to add that I got the whole thing on tape too!

I just checked it out again and they said they were live on TV...on Monday night, I dont know how you got to see it happen first, but it is cool that you did!

I have it on tape too...I think Bonnar won that fight, but it was so close and when you leave the decision in the hands of the judges, you never know what wil happen.

Chargers
04-13-2005, 06:41 PM
The fight was outrageous! The UFC definately needed that after the Florian v. Sanchez fight. Great call on giving both guys contracts. I don't know how you could turn one of them away after that fight.

C}{ARG3R
04-14-2005, 01:22 AM
I just checked it out again and they said they were live on TV...on Monday night, I dont know how you got to see it happen first, but it is cool that you did!

I have it on tape too...I think Bonnar won that fight, but it was so close and when you leave the decision in the hands of the judges, you never know what wil happen.
Yeah, I was telling MG about it, and was telling him to watch it but he didn't want to because he's not in to that kinda stuff. I think it was last Saturday.

Yeah I agree.. I think Bonnar was dominating the whole fight and Griffin is one tough cookie with a lot of heart but he diffenitly didn't win it in my opinion!

C}{ARG3R
04-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Yep, did some research and found it. I was right. :)
Saturday, April 9th Live on Spike (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=2627)
I love it when I'm right. :D

denverboltfan
04-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I was telling MG about it, and was telling him to watch it but he didn't want to because he's not in to that kinda stuff. I think it was last Saturday.

Yeah I agree.. I think Bonnar was dominating the whole fight and Griffin is one tough cookie with a lot of heart but he diffenitly didn't win it in my opinion!

This was definitely the Hagler/Hearns of the UFC. I disagree with you, tho. I think Griffin took all that Bonnar had and dealt a little more. He is one of the toughest fighters I have had the pleasure to watch.

IgorUnchained
04-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Yep, did some research and found it. I was right. :)
Saturday, April 9th Live on Spike (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=2627)
I love it when I'm right. :D

I dont mind it when you are right, I just hate it when Im wrong! I guess just because they kept saying it was live didnt meant that it couldnt have been taped from an EARLIER live show......good call C}{arger!

I can see how mg doesnt like that kind of thing, I know alot of people that dont get into it. While I dont believe that violence is the answer to anything, I do think that the UFC is about competition and "physical chess" more than it is about a bunch of boneheads beating the snot out of each other.

Denver- I can see how Griffin won, but I think as far as scoring goes, Bonnar landed more punches. The UFC scores on submission attempts, takedowns, who is the aggressor and a bunch of other factors. It is hard because the UFC has changed the rules quite a few times since its inception. I watch Pride FC out of Japan quite a bit too and their rules are slightly different - so it is kind of hard to keep all the rules straight. I was really surprised to see Bonnar not take the fight to the ground since he is a Ju Jitsu guy, but those stand up fights where the fighters just throw bombs at each other are great to watch, and I dont think Bonnar was liking all of those knees from Griffin....so I would guess that is why he didnt shoot in for the takedown too much!

IgorUnchained
04-14-2005, 10:24 PM
This Saturday (I'm sure this time C}{arger!) the next UFC will happen. The Headliner is a fight between Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell. Do any of you fight fans have any favorites in this fight?

I think that Chuck might win this time around. It is hard to beat Chuck, but beating him twice will be hard. If Chuck can stay off of the mat then I think he has a good chance in beating Randy.

I wont be surprised either way, but I will call this one for Chuck.

The other fight of big interest is the Matt Hughes and Frank Trigg fight. Both are great fighters, but I will call Hughes as the winner on this one. These two had a barn burner last time they met up. Hughes won that fight, but it was close. Anyone have any thoughts on this match?

Here is a link to the UFC main page, they dont have much info there, but is worth checking out and it has the times and fight cards..etc.
http://www.ufc.tv/events/ppv/ppv.asp

C}{ARG3R
04-15-2005, 12:57 AM
I used to wrestle when I was younger and I loved it so much. I went to tournaments and everything. I'm a big fan of Greco Roman wrestling, and Couture is the best at that style of fighting.

I was never a big fan of Liddell until that series came out and I found out how cool Liddell really is. But I seem to route for the quite ones and Couture fits that mold well in my eyes, but we all know that in the UFC anyone can get lucky. So it should be an awsome match.

I've seen Hughes fight and he just doesn't seem to be a real good fighter in the Oct. but man can that guy throw down. In the last fight Hugh's was in vs that French Canadian dude man that was just awesome how fast he got that guy in that arm bar. I was not expecting it. He is very entertaining to watch.

As for Trigg I know I've seen him fight before but I can't remember his style. I know he won the fight. But I can't remember who he was fighting. If I had to guess I would say it was Ortiz. But I could be wrong.

Anywayz I'm going for Hughes in this match up!

IgorUnchained
04-15-2005, 02:30 AM
I am with you! I will be rooting for Randy as well. I would bet on Chuck, but still will be rooting for Randy. The guy is the Jerry Rice of Mixed Martial Arts.

If you are a wrestler you should love Matt Hughes! the guy weighs like 180 and he powerslams every person he fights! Check out all of the big take downs that Hughes gets, and you will see alot more of a Greco Roman takedown than your traditional shooting takedown. He is like an ant that can carry ten times his own weight....I love Hughes! Pound for Pound I would say he has more upperbody strength than Greco Roman style Randy.

Since you have seen some UFC, have you ever seen Kazushi Sakuraba or Gilbert Yvel? There are a few legal places to download highlight videos...I dont know the names of the sites, but Im sure a google search would find them easily....you should check them out as well!

Do you have any other fighters that you like that you have seen?

C}{ARG3R
04-15-2005, 03:17 AM
My all time favorite is Royce Gracie. In my opinion, He was the best UFC fighter of all time. I didn't know what grappling was until I seen him fight and the way he got people to submit was just unblievable.

I love or loved watching all these guys fight.
Matt Hughes, Randy Couture, Rich Franklin, Frank and Ken Shamrock (local boys), Tank Abbott, and Chuck Liddell (Hoped on his Band Wagon after the UFC Series).

IgorUnchained
04-15-2005, 03:21 PM
That is great! Gracie was such a big time fighter for so long. He never lost in the Octagon in all of his fights, and it was his style (Ju Jitsu) that became the standard for UFC when it started to evolve.

After Royce left the UFC he went and fought at Pride FC in Japan. I dont know his record in Pride, but my favorite fighter of all time, Kazushi Sakuraba, actually beat Royce. He also has beat Royler, Ryan, and Renzo Gracie. Sakuraba is known as the "Gracie Killer" and has beat the best of the MMA world!

Like Royce, Sakuraba is on the last legs of his career, but he is still my favorite. Anyone who can beat 4 memebers of the Gracie family is a god in my book!

Tank Abbott is slated to fight pretty soon with a guy named Cabbage at an event called Rumble on the Rock (or something similar). Cabbage is another Tank type of character. A bad mofo with powerful hands and a meanstreak a mile wide.

C}{ARG3R
04-15-2005, 04:29 PM
I heard in one of the fights along time ago that the Chargers tried to sign Ken Shamrock to a contract to play football but he turned them down because he wanted to pursue the UFC. It was around the time when the UFC first started...
Do you know if this is true and if so where can I read about it?

***EDIT***
Nevermind it is true I found it. This google thing is quite amazing.

Life is good for the modern-day gladiator, who once turned down an offer to play fullback for the San Diego Chargers because he preferred to play defense and "hit people." He has a good stable of fighters in his Lion's Den in San Diego and recently purchased five acres in the mountains near Susanville, Calif., 85 miles northwest of Reno, Nev., for a new training facility.

IgorUnchained
04-15-2005, 04:42 PM
I heard in one of the fights along time ago that the Chargers tried to sign Ken Shamrock to a contract to play football but he turned them down because he wanted to pursue the UFC. It was around the time when the UFC first started...
Do you know if this is true and if so where can I read about it?

I did a little looking around and didnt find anything that said anything about that, but I cant say it didnt happen.

Im pretty sure that Ken and Frank Shamrock were both adopted and have both been submission fighters since their teens. I dont doubt that those guys had the ability to play football, but they were known to compete in many foriegn fighting competitions at that time, and I dont think they would do all that training, travelling, and fighting while practicing an playing football at the same time.

There was a time (pre UFC) where those kinds of fights were illegal in America, and so American fighters would have to fight in Pride, Pancrase, Rings, or another foriegn competition.

One of the best fights ever was when Bas Rutten beat Frank Shamrock (Ken's little brother) for King of Pancrase. It was another barn burner with people beating the crap out of each other (in pancrase you cant use a closed fist, just a palm strike or a slap), twisting on each other's limbs, and seeing Shamrock smile and stick his tongue out at Bas after Bas delivers palm strike after palm strike to his face.

The only fighter I can think of right off the top of my head that played NFL football was Bob Sapp. I cant remember the team he played for, but he has had a great career in K1 and Pride.....the guy is a MONSTER!

EDIT-- GOOD FIND! I googled it and use Copernic on it and I still didnt find it!
That is very interesting and I had never heard about that before.
You sure are right alot C}{arger!

C}{ARG3R
04-15-2005, 04:57 PM
hehe the good old trusty crtl+F really comes in handing when searching for certain words. :P

IgorUnchained
04-15-2005, 05:46 PM
hehe the good old trusty crtl+F really comes in handing when searching for certain words. :P

I have only had a computer for about a year and am self taught at everything....there is a saying that a man who represents himself in court "has a fool for a lawyer".....well when I teach myself to use a computer "I have a fool for a teacher".

I can tell by your sig making abilities and your knack for finding info that you are alot more capable on a PC than I am! I had never heard cntrl-F before...for example.

If you know of any legal way to post videos ( I have finally figured out photo hosting!) I could show you some decent videos of Sakuraba and Gilbert Yvel! :Bolt:

denverboltfan
04-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Couple of things for Igor - Next saturday on HBO, Vladimir Klitchko is fighting again. I always thought he had the technical skills to go far - don't know about the heart. His brother Vitali is a warrior, tho. What do you think?

Also, a couple of years ago, I had the chance to see Oleg Taktarov at a seminar. He won one of the UFC tourneys - I think it was #6 or something like that. He is a pretty bad dude, but I heard he hurt his knee. He has shifted to acting (he was in Bad Boys II). Are you familiar with him? I know he is versed in Sambo and works with the local center which teaches Systema, Russian martial arts.

IgorUnchained
04-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Couple of things for Igor - Next saturday on HBO, Vladimir Klitchko is fighting again. I always thought he had the technical skills to go far - don't know about the heart. His brother Vitali is a warrior, tho. What do you think?

Also, a couple of years ago, I had the chance to see Oleg Taktarov at a seminar. He won one of the UFC tourneys - I think it was #6 or something like that. He is a pretty bad dude, but I heard he hurt his knee. He has shifted to acting (he was in Bad Boys II). Are you familiar with him? I know he is versed in Sambo and works with the local center which teaches Systema, Russian martial arts.

I dont follow boxing as much as MMA, but I have seen both brothers fight, and both brothers win. They seem to be very smart guys in their interviews and are some tough guys. I dont know much about Vladimir because I have only seen him fight once, but I have seen a couple Vitali fights and the guy is a beast!

Oleg "The Russian Bear" Taktarov was great in the UFC. One of the most incredible "chins" I have ever seen. I think it was around UFC6 that Taktarov won it, but it might have been a little earlier like UFC5- Im pretty sure that UFC 6 was won by Marco Ruas when he beat the "Polar Bear" Paul Vearlans in one of the best fights EVER (maybe my favorite of all time!)
Taktarov was a Sambo guy and had great ground skills, it was always his toughness and his ability to get pounded in the face for 2 minutes while he worked a leg lock into the right position to win the game that made me admire him.

If you are a fan of Russians or Eastern Europeans in general, there are a couple great fighters in Pride that you would LOVE. Mirko "Cro Cop" Flipovic, Fedor Emelianenko, and Igor Vovchanchyn.... all of those guys are tough as nails and are great to watch.

That is great that you got to see Oleg at a seminar, I am waiting for the day I can run into one of those guys....they seem pretty good natured for someone who pounds people into hamburger for a living. Im sure it is a great stress reliever!

My "other" favorite Igor
http://img117.echo.cx/img117/2440/igorv7zu.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)
Igor Vovchanchyn

IgorUnchained
04-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Just to update....

Chuck Liddell beat Randy as I thought he would. I guess there was some controversy because of a thumb in the eye that Chuck gave to Randy before he knocked him out.

Matt Hughes beat Frank Trigg. I guess Matt Hughes was "knocked out" for a few seconds and then regained consciousness before the ref saw he was out, and eventually came back to submit Trigg.

I say "I guess" in here because I ended up missing the UFC!

C}{ARG3R
04-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Just to update....

Chuck Liddell beat Randy as I thought he would. I guess there was some controversy because of a thumb in the eye that Chuck gave to Randy before he knocked him out.

Matt Hughes beat Frank Trigg. I guess Matt Hughes was "knocked out" for a few seconds and then regained consciousness before the ref saw he was out, and eventually came back to submit Trigg.

aww man!!

Do you think they'll rerun it on Spike TV later? If not when do you think it will be in video stores. I gotta see that one!

Chargers
04-18-2005, 06:42 PM
I heard that Randy didn't even try to take Chuck down? He just tried to strike with him? If that's true....what was he smokin' man? Oh well - hopefully there will be a #3.

BlueandGoldRush
04-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Just to update....

I got to see it this weekend, and it was some good action. I'm not a huge UFC fan, don't know too much about the sport, just what I've seen as a casual fan.

That Matt Hughes guy is a BEAST. I hadn't seen him fight before this weekend, and he is as tough as they come. He was just getting pummeled, but kept his arms active trying to deflect the shots, so it looked like the ref couldn't stop the thing. But he was just about KO'd--not quite though, from what I saw. But then he fought back something fierce, very exciting, probably the best fight of the night.

It is true that Randy looked content going toe-to-toe with Chuck. Randy did take a thumb to the eye (unintentional), but he had some time to recover before the round started again, so it didn't look like a huge factor in the KO that resulted. Randy just walked right into a hard right hand from Chuck, and was out instantly.

Man, once Randy hit the mat, Lidell got in two VERY hard punches to Randy's face before the ref could break things up. Not cheap shots, just before the ref could even react. I mean Randy's head was literally bouncing up and down off the mat.

That's about the best re-cap I could give, since I don't know much about the sport or the fighters. It was a very fun couple hours, though!

IgorUnchained
04-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Great recap BandG!

I really appreciate that since I did miss it. Matt Hughes is the strongest guy "pound for pound" in the UFC. I heard he got a body slam in....that is like his trademark move. He always picks guys up and hauls them over by his own corner so that when he slams them and goes for his "ground and pound" he can hear his corner guys' advice. A very smart guy who can obviously take a punch as well as he gives them. Hughes also has some of the best (little boney) elbows, a few of those on your forehead and you wont be able to continue because of KO or the fight being stopped due to a cut.

The Chuck and Randy one I could almost see coming. Randy should never have tried to stand up with Chuck, but Chuck has the best takedown defense in the game. Randy has a better chance of taking Chuck down in a "clinch" when they are all wrapped up in a standing position where Randy can Greco Roman him to the ground with his upperbody strength......shooting in at Chucks legs is foolish for anyone and Randy is too smart for that. That is the best thing about Chuck....he makes you keep your distance, but if you dont get in close on him than he can strike all day long- and noone can take what Chuck dishes out!

As for C}{arg3rs question, the fights dont usually become available for a long time on DVD, but since the UFC is getting alot of publicity, and Im sure that more people watched that then any other UFC because of the match-ups and the publicity of the Spike TV show- it could come out earlier than usual.

SDChargeHer
04-18-2005, 11:37 PM
chuck lidell is a beast. He knocked out his last 2 opponents ortiz and i forget the 2nd but the 2nd was a hell of a fight. He almost lost that one.

Chargers
04-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the recap, Crush! I, like you, am just a casual fan, so it was more than adequate for me :D

IgorUnchained
07-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Hey All-

Spike TV is showing the Bonnar/Forrest fight again tonight and I belive it will be on at 9:00 if any of you west coasters havent seen it yet.

West Coast showing of UFC 9:00 pm Saturday Night!! :Beer:

EDIT- (from Sherdog.com)
To Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar: I personally want to thank you for doing what you did on Saturday night. While I thank every fighter for putting his or her life on the line every time he or she climbs into the ring or cage, specific thanks goes to those two 205-pound studs. The TUF finale was crucial and had to be exciting for the casual fans. A fight almost cannot be more exciting, more enthralling, more exhilarating, more dramatic or more satisfying than Griffin-Bonnar.

Chargers
08-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Man I just can't get enough of that Bonnar / Griffin slugfest. Unreal. I can't wait for 'UFC Fight Night' this Saturday! Gonna be awesome!

IgorUnchained
08-02-2005, 11:48 PM
Man I just can't get enough of that Bonnar / Griffin slugfest. Unreal. I can't wait for 'UFC Fight Night' this Saturday! Gonna be awesome!

I dont know if I will be working Saturday night or not, but if I dont I will be getting that for sure! I think the headlining fight is Chuck Lidell against Jeremy Horn. Everyone knows what a bad mofo that Chuck is, but I havent seen Horn fight in a while. I dont thinkI have ever seen Horn lose to anyone but Pete Williams (trained by Ken Shamrock from the Lion's Den) but that was quite a battle and a long time ago.

Glad to see someone else might be checking it out too! If I have to work I might just have to beg a recap from you!

IgorUnchained
11-05-2005, 07:03 PM
The Ultimate Fighter 2 is having it's finale tonight! Anyone else watching/watched it?

Im hoping Luke can take Joe out tonight! It is kind of hard to root for a heavyweight at this point....I like the tall guy, but how can you pull for a guy nicknamed "The Hillbilly Heartthrob"????

On right now - 7 pm MST - on Spike Tv

BCBoltFan
11-05-2005, 08:40 PM
The Ultimate Fighter 2 is having it's finale tonight! Anyone else watching/watched it?

Im hoping Luke can take Joe out tonight! It is kind of hard to root for a heavyweight at this point....I like the tall guy, but how can you pull for a guy nicknamed "The Hillbilly Heartthrob"????

On right now - 7 pm MST - on Spike Tv
I lost the battle for TV rights, should be able to catch some repeats tho.

IgorUnchained
11-05-2005, 10:02 PM
It is 10:00 MST and it is being replayed.

I wont give anything away until they stop replaying it, but IT IS WORTH WATCHING if you are a fan of MMA or just enjoyed the last fight between Griffin/Bonner!

Not only worth watching...it is worth taping!

denverboltfan
11-06-2005, 03:23 PM
It is 10:00 MST and it is being replayed.

I wont give anything away until they stop replaying it, but IT IS WORTH WATCHING if you are a fan of MMA or just enjoyed the last fight between Griffin/Bonner!

Not only worth watching...it is worth taping!

Luke Cummo reminded me of Forrest Griffin. A very unorthodox UFC fighter who was picked last when teams were picked who is a junk food junkie and a nails fighter. He showed a lot of tenacity in the ground fighting which was not his forte.

IgorUnchained
11-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Luke Cummo reminded me of Forrest Griffin. A very unorthodox UFC fighter who was picked last when teams were picked who is a junk food junkie and a nails fighter. He showed a lot of tenacity in the ground fighting which was not his forte.

Luke was the one who was eating all kinds of gross looking healthy food....I didnt see him ever eat junk food!
The rest of the post was dead on though! Luke was my favorite going into the competition. I was very impressed with his ground game, considering I have never really seen him have to use it. He looked very comfortable on the ground.....more comfortable than I would have been if I had that big SOB trying to elbow my face!
Too bad Joe won that one......it seems like if you can just lay on the guy for a long time the judges consider that winning.

That match between Kenny Florintine and Kit Cope was awesome! Kenny looked like the guy from "American Pie" with his shirt off. Cope was chiseled and tattooed....obviously the more experienced fighter. Cope was a bare-knuckles Thai Boxing/Muay Thai fighter who has fought (and won) around the world. Kenny Florintine was the second place lightweight (who lost to Diego Sanchez in the TUF 1 finale).
The fight was pretty one-sided with Kenny Florintine taking the fight to the ground and keeping it there......not letting Cope load up on the big strikes.

The Brad Imes and Rashad fight was a bloody barnburner! It ended much like the Bonner/Griffin fight at the last finale.....with two very tired and very bloody men trying to keep their arms up and not fall down from exhaustion. They left it all out on the mat and I think the Judges were correct in awarding the match to Rashad. Rashad will fight in the Light-Heavyweight division in the UFC...but he held his own against a 6-7 260 lb HUGE heavyweight. Both were equally tired and damaged, but you have to give it to Rashad....Im sure he will be very effective against other 205 lb guys!

The last fight of the night was Diego Sanchez (last years lightweight winner of TUF) against Nick Diaz. Diaz is a young Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt who is trained by a Gracie. He is young, but he is a veteran of UFC and other MMA tournaments. Diaz voiced his displeasure at Diego getting to fight him by just winning TUF and fighting some no-name guys.
Diego brought the fight from the very beginning and the pace was as intense as just about any other 15 min match I have ever seen. Both guys are great on the ground and every other second it was a new hold or a reversal. I thought it was fairly even at the end, but it was clear that Diego won.

I hope you all got a chance to watch it.....or if it is re-aired that you check it out!:Beer:

chrg fan
01-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Came across this old post so figured I would renew. Good fight coming up couture lidell 3 and franklin will be fighting lousiue?? in March and hughes gracie in may. UFC is really picklng up only thing that sucks is you should forget about getting cheap ticktets. 50 ones sell out right away 100 ones last like a day anything over that for one night is a little too pricey for me.

IgorUnchained
01-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Hey Chrg Fan! Nice to see another fight fan in the house!

That Hughes/Gracie match is the one I want to see! Liddell and Couture should be a great match up again, but Chuck seems to be able to keep Randy from being able to get his clinch. Randy will need to be able to get in on Chuck to stand a chance IMO. Hughes has a great chance against Gracie, but it will be great to see how that whole fight plays out.

For those of you who like the UFC, Spike TV is about an hour away from reairing their 2 hour special again....check it out!

ChargedAztec
01-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Great to see others on this board are fans of the UFC. I've been following MMA for a few years now and have been hooked on it ever since. The Liddell v. Couture II fight will be awesome, as will the Franklin/Louisseau bout. UFC has announced some really awesome fights for 2006, with the addition of Shamroc/Ortiz as TUF 3 coaches this'll be an outstanding year. Can't wait to see Gracie vs. Hughes, but i wonder how well Gracie will fare against such a well rounded fighter as Matt Hughes. Any predictions on UFC's upcoming fights??

IgorUnchained
01-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Great to see others on this board are fans of the UFC. I've been following MMA for a few years now and have been hooked on it ever since. The Liddell v. Couture II fight will be awesome, as will the Franklin/Louisseau bout. UFC has announced some really awesome fights for 2006, with the addition of Shamroc/Ortiz as TUF 3 coaches this'll be an outstanding year. Can't wait to see Gracie vs. Hughes, but i wonder how well Gracie will fare against such a well rounded fighter as Matt Hughes. Any predictions on UFC's upcoming fights??

The Franklin Vs Loiseau fight should be a good one! I already gave my 2 cents about the other 2 matches, but since you brought this one up too I would like to comment on it too.

Franklin can definately win this fight since he beat Evan Tanner. Loiseau has very similar weapons to Evan Tanner. Both will clinch you and destroy you with strikes (Tanner's knees and Loiseau's elbows). I wouldnt want to get in close on either of them, but the fact that Franklin beat Tanner gives me alot of faith in his ability to take Loiseau too.

I got cable FOR the UFC 40 match between Ortiz and Shamrock and have watched every one since. I started watching UFC when it first came out and saw all of the first ones up to the high teens. I have since seen probably 80% of the total UFC events one way or another, but Shamrock/Ortiz stands out as my favorite UFC bout of all time. I am really happy to hear they are going to be coaches on TUF 3!

ChargedAztec
01-21-2006, 07:47 PM
The Franklin Vs Loiseau fight should be a good one! I already gave my 2 cents about the other 2 matches, but since you brought this one up too I would like to comment on it too.

Franklin can definately win this fight since he beat Evan Tanner. Loiseau has very similar weapons to Evan Tanner. Both will clinch you and destroy you with strikes (Tanner's knees and Loiseau's elbows). I wouldnt want to get in close on either of them, but the fact that Franklin beat Tanner gives me alot of faith in his ability to take Loiseau too.

I got cable FOR the UFC 40 match between Ortiz and Shamrock and have watched every one since. I started watching UFC when it first came out and saw all of the first ones up to the high teens. I have since seen probably 80% of the total UFC events one way or another, but Shamrock/Ortiz stands out as my favorite UFC bout of all time. I am really happy to hear they are going to be coaches on TUF 3!

IMO, Franklin has the better standup of any fighter in his class; he's really improved his striking ability since he entered the UFC; as his KO of Quarry showed; i think he'd KO any other middleweight. Louisseau is dangerous however with his elbow strikes, and i wouldnt be surprised if he's able to cut Rich while in a tight clinch and get a doctor stoppage. I expect to see a war every second of this fight. Can't Wait!!!

CBO
01-23-2006, 04:49 PM

Shamrock and Ortiz will be the coaches for season 3? I will have to watch every episode. I love Shamrock. I have meet him a few times through my cousin. I have watched him since??? I used to be a big WWF fan and was so excited when he was on the show. I can not wait!!

ChargedAztec
01-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Shamrock and Ortiz will be the coaches for season 3? I will have to watch every episode. I love Shamrock. I have meet him a few times through my cousin. I have watched him since??? I used to be a big WWF fan and was so excited when he was on the show. I can not wait!!

Definately, Shamrock has always been one of my favorite fighters; he's a true pioneer of the sport. I cant wait to see Shamrock on Season 3 and hope he can avenge his loss to Ortiz later this year. I'll definately be pulling for him come out on top in that one. My favorite fight i've seen has got to be the Griffin/Bonnar TUF finale, that was a complete slugfest for 15 mins.

IgorUnchained
01-24-2006, 01:35 AM
Shamrock used to be my favorite back in the beginning years of UFC. He had the skills to beat you down, but the technique to tie you in a knot....back in those days it was usually one or the other.

Shamrock's story is a good one and it does involve some San Diego chapters, so he is worth rooting for on many different levels.

There was a time when The Lions Den (Shamrock's school/dojo/team) were equivalant of the Yankees or Duke or The U.....basically they were dominators for years. They were ****y and well groomed.....and they got on my nerves.

Then came Tito Ortiz and slowly but surely the Lions Den fell one by one. It was a great time in the UFC for me! When it all came to a head in UFC 40 and Tito fought Ken I was literally on the edge of my seat the whole time and it was a great fight. Go Tito! Down with the Lions Den! (Except maybe Pete Williams).

It is the same with the Gracies. Both Pride FC and UFC were dominated by the Gracies when they were both starting out. Kazushi Sakuraba has worked his way through 5 members of the Gracie family now and he has become my favorite fighter in the process.

Tito and Sakuraba not only took out legends....they then went on to their friends and family members. THAT is what it is all about.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5540/sakuraba5mu.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ChargedAztec
01-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Personally, i don't care too much for Tito. As a fighter, i have alot of respect for him, and he's definately a legend in the Octogan and was the biggest draw for the UFC for years. But i can't really appreciate his attitude and the way he is towards other fighters. Just my personal opinion, but i don't really like his ****y attitude and the way he acts towards other fighters. Like the way he's been to fighters like Guy Mezger, Shamrock, Liddell, and others. He's a great fighter and a huge part of the UFC and he definately lives up to his nickname, "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy". Can't wait to see him step in the ring again, I think he's taking on Forrest Griffin in April or May. That'll be the first real test for TUF 1 champ. It'll be interesting to see if he can be considered an elite fighter in the UFC.

JohnElway
01-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Personally, i don't care too much for Tito..

I think i can take him :)

I've been training, doin 12 oz. curls all year :Beer:

Mr. Heisman
01-25-2006, 04:02 PM
I like the UFC but many u can't touch the WWE storylines! oh man. haha plus they got the girls! yes it's fake but i tv to be entertain! UFC is still great tho but i still would rather watch boxing than ufc!

REALBOLTFAN
02-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Wow this is cool.. I never knew this thread existed!.

I have been training MMA for about 8 years..I have a backround in Brazilian jiu jitsu, muay thai, wrestling and a tae kwon do and a little boxing. And have trained with a few people listed on this thread.

Unfortunately I have never fought due to being a pansy and many injuries and training related surgery.. I have however competed in many submission tournaments (albiet with a losing record)

I have trained with the best in San Diego for along time (which SD is a close 2nd to LA in being the capital for people who train and schools in U.S.)

And I have helped train many people for fights in king of the cage and Tijuana fights. I know alot of people in the sport and am amazed at the growth the sport has taken in the last few years driven by the show "tuf". A few years ago barely anyone followed the sport and now it has reached popularity unbelievable to me!

This sport is the toughest in the world at the highest levels.. the kind of shape you have to be in physically and mentally is un-rivaled and unimaginable to someone who has not trained seriously and competed.

A little cool related info.. Kassim Osgood, Lorenzo Neal and Chuck Lidell all went to school together.. Lo Neal trains with Lidell in the off season and Lo Neal is also a champion collegiate wrestler