PDA

View Full Version : Sportsmanship

denverboltfan
04-14-2005, 01:12 PM
I just finished reading about a 13 year old baseball player beating a 15 year old to death with a bat after a game. Both were apparently trash talking when the 13 year old snapped.

I'm sure that everyone has an opinion on this one, but I think the emphasis on winning needs to be reeled in a bit, especially among the kids. There are too many parents and coaches who vicariously live through the accomplishments of their kids and players.

The first thing a prospective athlete needs to learn is to be a class individual, win or lose. That doesn't include insulting an opponent after a win. It may include controlling yourself after a loss if your opponent insults you.

Just my opinion.

jtzsd43
04-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Your right, winning is great but it isn't everything. My best friend, whenever we play a sport like bowling, golf, pool, etc. always gets mad when he loses. He throws his golf clubs around the course or storms off in the middle of a pool game. It's ridiculous! Yes loosing sucks, but it's a game. You'll always have a shot to win next time. Let's all be competitive people, but not loose hindsight of the greater purpose in sports, and that is to have fun.

IgorUnchained
04-14-2005, 05:57 PM
I used to have a friend like that! The Dumb SOB broke more video game controllers than everyone else I have ever met...combined!

I think that every human being should be taught respect from the time they are a child. Please, Thank You, Im Sorry, I Dont Know.....those are words or phrases that I dont hear from younger people very much. I think that has alot to do with incidents like the one that Denver described.

As far as not keeping score in little league and not grading schoolwork until junior high or whatever, I dont think it should go that far. In the real world you win and lose everyday.....you better get used to it while you are young!

I agree that many kids are pushed by their parents and coaches to be stars or to succeed where they failed. That is also why kids learn to play the piano or go into medical school alot of times, I dont think the problem is just a sports problem.

I hope that more parents and coaches stress the "sportsmanship" aspect of sports until kids get are ready for the competition aspect.

denverboltfan
04-14-2005, 06:22 PM
As far as not keeping score in little league and not grading schoolwork until junior high or whatever, I dont think it should go that far. In the real world you win and lose everyday.....you better get used to it while you are young!

I absolutely agree. Being a class individual does not come from not experiencing something, but from learning how to deal with it. I just saw a television piece on people "jumping rope" without the rope. How absurd is that? Winning and losing happen every day. Learn how to deal with both and as the sign at Wimbledon says "treat both as the impostors that they are".

IgorUnchained
04-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Well said denver....and great quote!

thehotdelancey
05-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Definitely....
we put so much pressure on kids for victory in sports. just look at those veiny forheaded parents at any little league game. or any High school football coach (for the most part) we punish them for losing. Their heroes , Randy Moss, TO, Sapp, etc. are GREAT role models.....not really. with guys who talk that much trash and command our attention and hearts....
and then add in short fuses and gang violence and such....formula for disaster.

chargerbaby95
01-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Losing sucks .. But that is just sick what some ppl do when they lose

mtxsound
01-09-2006, 03:55 PM
I dont like to lose, who does? Some people take it way too far. Just because someone bettered you in one game, or one season, or one anything for that matter, doesnt deserve a confrontation. Some people breed it into their kids that losing is unacceptable, and this is where it gets out of hand. If you are brought up thinking do your best and the best will come this is where you win. Its not how you win that really matters its how you lose, and how you make sure you dont lose again. It just disgusts me when people take it too far. I throw golf clubs sometimes, but always jokingly. Keep competition good natured in my opinion. You see stupid stuff like people stabbing people because there team beat the other team. Is it really worht your life? Its a game, folks.

guimcharger
01-09-2006, 05:50 PM
I think people should look at losing as a half full glass. If you lose it means you weren't good enough. That means you can have the satisfaction and motivation to get better. Face it, if you won everytime the winning factor of happiness would be gone. You have to lose sometimes to make it even better when you win.