PDA

View Full Version : Five of the most popular sports in the world

vendetta07
04-28-2005, 01:09 PM
My guess is (from highest to lowest):

1. Soccer (Because of the imperialist Brits)
2. Basketball
3. Tennis
4. Baseball
5. Golf

I would like to see (American) football up there but I think they (foreigners) derride the sport because the players wear a lot of protective gear.

I'm also kinda bummed that we didn't get the gold in baseball at the last olympics.

squabble
04-28-2005, 01:43 PM
That list is very nearly interesting Stuart (you probably won't get that if your not an imperialist Brit), I don't see the interest in Basketball. Some big blokes running around a wooden court playing Netball with less rules!?!

spysnipedis
04-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Football is too expensive. Thats why it is not that popular. Soccer is probably the most inexpensive sport in the world. All you need is a ball and 4 items to setup as goals. Countries are poor so they cannot afford the expensive equipment that football requires. Soccer is not popular because of "imperialist Brits" (I have no clue what that is).

vendetta07
04-29-2005, 02:48 AM
That list is very nearly interesting Stuart (you probably won't get that if your not an imperialist Brit), I don't see the interest in Basketball. Some big blokes running around a wooden court playing Netball with less rules!?!

Lol, ok I won't get into the term "imperialist Brit", I didn't mean to offend u :Beer: But basketball is probably popular because of what sny mentioned about soccer being inexpensive. In basketball all u need is a basketball, hoop, and pavement for a casual game.

btw, I just mentioned "imperialist brit" with soccer because since britian used to be a large and rich trading empire it spread its culture, including soccer, the same way the U.S. spread baseball to Japan and Latin America