PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

SDRaiderH8er
07-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Okay I just bought a new Computer, as my old one was quite small (10 Gig harddrive) and the video card was dying.

So I went out and bought a new one, both computers have Windows XP, the new one has Window's XP with the Service Pack 2 all ready pre loaded, I bought the Crossover wire.

I want to transfer a lot of what I had on the small one to the new one. I have a lot of Photo's and some large documents and folders.

I went into both Computers and tried to setup a "Home network" via the Windows XP connection wizard.

I have the cable connected to the ethernet card's in both Computer's. When I unplug the cable, both computers see this and give me the "Network is unplugged" message in the lower right hand corner.

I cannot get either computer to talk to the other one.

What am I doing wrong?

TemeculaMike
07-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Never tried a cross-over cable because Switches are a dime-a-dozen and I always have a few laying around.

Are you sure you are using a cross-over cable and not a normal cable?

My method has always been to open up the old computer - take out the HD, and throw the old HD into the new computer and then transfer the files at speeds that 100baseT and Gigabit ethernet can't approach.

JDaySoCal
07-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Mike is right. If you're doing straight peer 2 peer you must have a cross-over cable.

Slaving HD's these days are pretty easy. Just crack the case open, take the second IDE connection on the cable (from the new computer's hard drive with it still installed), plug in that cable to the old HD, plug in one of the extra power cables to the old HD, set the jumpers to either cable-select or slave and fire her up.

Under your My Computer, you should see that second hard drive and be able to browse it with no problem at all.

SDRaiderH8er
07-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys, I was under the impression that I could just get a "Cross over cable" and go from ethernet card to ethernet card, I never thought of just slaving the old HD in.

geekster
07-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Mike is right. If you're doing straight peer 2 peer you must have a cross-over cable.

Slaving HD's these days are pretty easy. Just crack the case open, take the second IDE connection on the cable (from the new computer's hard drive with it still installed), plug in that cable to the old HD, plug in one of the extra power cables to the old HD, set the jumpers to either cable-select or slave and fire her up.

Under your My Computer, you should see that second hard drive and be able to browse it with no problem at all.

Great advice and sound advice there JDay - I've done this quite a few times and never had a problem with modern era IDE drives. "Back when" you could have a problem with "incompatible drive types" (actually manufacturers with different interpretations of the IDE standard), but haven't seen any of that in quite a few years now.

-=dave=-