PDA

View Full Version : LaVar Arrington released by Redskins.

LIGHTS OUT
10-04-2005, 01:10 PM
http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20051004-120228-2603r.htm

Bubba86
10-04-2005, 01:15 PM
if he would renegotiate his contract to make him easier to trade then it might be possible. is he an outside or inside lb though? the only spot he would have would be as a ilb when godfrey is done.

Tomlinson21
10-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Interesting article...I think it's purely speculation right now though. It would be interesting what Lavar does during the season and after the season.

bayarealightnin
10-04-2005, 01:41 PM
The one thing about F/A is that verterans have their way of doing things. You have to be careful of who you bring in and the effect that they have on younger players. Not only is Arrington expensive, but he is also very good friends with Merriman. I like how Foley has taken him under his wing and trying to show him how to play this game. Foley has been on the side of being discarded and forgotten. He cherrishes his opportunity. Arrington was slated to be a star from day one, and he was the second pick in the draft. If Arrington comes to the Chargers, he becomes Merriman's mentor that he has been since Merriman was in H.S. We need to keep Merriman hungry and to a certain extent humble to maximixe his full potential. The guy who people thought was just a guy and who last year took this team and the NFL by storm would be a better example of maximizing your full potential. One caveat is that it could be the opposite, but we have too much invested to take that chance.

Tomlinson21
10-04-2005, 01:48 PM
I think him (Foley) along with Edwards and Godfrey are very capable LB's who understand the game and leave their ego's behind. I think Merriman coming into the fold does carry a big stick and may have an ego as well - but I'm sure our LB's will definitley tone that down in the locker room for sure. But on the field - he's a beast!

chargerfan1978
10-04-2005, 01:58 PM
It ain't happening. A.J. Smith likes to pay players not names. Our LB corps is way deep as it is - Leber, Godfrey, Foley, Edwards, Phillips, Merriman, Wilhelm, Cooper, Harris. All of them have made plays, too. I think DQ Scott was starting to take reps as an OLB.

Tycebrew
10-04-2005, 01:58 PM
The below paragraph probably makes it hard for anyone to get Arrington.

"The eight-year, $68 million contract Arrington signed in December 2003 would make unloading it this offseason very difficult. His signing bonus of more than $11 million would accelerate and count against the 2006 salary cap. Trading or cutting Arrington after June 1 would put about $2 million of those costs on next season's cap, with the remaining $9 million deferred until 2007."

Thunderstruck
10-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Nothing against Arrington, but does he really fit in with us? Seriously. He's a very good player, but LB's by FAR the deepest position on this team. He might find himself in the same situation here. It's not like our guys are scrubs.

chargertom
10-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Washington's last game, didn't they sit him because he wasn't getting it done? I think I read that the coaches opinion was all he wanted to do was pass rush, and that's it. He wasn't blocking or trying to make tackles. He just wants sack numbers. Not like that's a bad thing, but on the line, you definitely have more than one job.

Jury is still out on whether I would want him or not.

Go Chargers! :Bolt:

RBloom
10-04-2005, 02:15 PM
I wish. Where would we put him though?

LIGHTS OUT
10-04-2005, 02:17 PM
I think he is in Peerless Price range. He is a big name and a player who has had some big years. He will have to take a BIG paycut for any team to take him. If the Redskins are willing to shoulder some of the contract burden then they might be able to move him. But you are right, I don't think we need him. We need a Champ Bailey type, just one that doesn't cost as much :Helmet:.

smcards08
10-04-2005, 02:19 PM
I believe next year we need a big strong Middle linebacker that can rush from the Middle of the Field to allow Donnie the Opportunity to Freelance. Thanks Prisco but get off our Wagon Now you respect us.

LightEmUp
10-04-2005, 02:21 PM
I think he is in Peerless Price range. He is a big name and a player who has had some big years. He will have to take a BIG paycut for any team to take him. If the Redskins are willing to shoulder some of the contract burden then they might be able to move him. But you are right, I don't think we need him. We need a Champ Bailey type, just one that doesn't cost as much :Helmet:.

I agree, let's get a great CB instead. I like our LB corp. All the way around.

BeWaReDaBoLt
10-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Can he play inside....because Godfrey is suppose to retire next year...right?

JoeMcRugby
10-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Arrington is a stereotypical pass rushing OLB.

Why bring in another very high priced pass rushing OLB when the Chargers already have two of them under contract for the next four years minimum (Foley and Merriman)?

I don't see anyway on heaven and earth that the Chargers would have any interest in the annually severely underperforming injury prone Arrington.

LightEmUp
10-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Arrington is a stereotypical pass rushing OLB.

Why bring in another very high priced pass rushing OLB when the Chargers already have two of them under contract for the next four years minimum (Foley and Merriman)?

I don't see anyway on heaven and earth that the Chargers would have any interest in the annually severely underperforming injury prone Arrington.

There ya have it folks.. put that rumor to bed!

foober
10-04-2005, 02:49 PM
I don't know whats wrong with arrington now. But something isn't right with him.

whats the old saying. We want players not bellyachers.

drangus
10-04-2005, 03:16 PM
IF--he is willing to renegotiate his contract--IF--he is willing to take over godfreys spot on the inside--IF--he is willing to defer to the established leaders on this defense

too many IFs it ain't gonna happen :D

according to the article marty likes this guy-I just don't see us giving the redskins anything for this guy-I mean we'd be doing them a favor like when the dolphins took bostons' contract off of our hands

in a perfect world it would happen--I personally like cooper and wilhem-but just like moreno and polk-they are not everydown starter material--when godfrey goes we will bring someone else in-wheter it is through the draft or FA I don't know-but it is going to happen :)

boltpride4ever
10-04-2005, 03:18 PM
no.no.no.no.no, a.j. will not pay a linebacker 68 million dollars in salary, i wouldnt for sure for cap purposes...i will give it to brees instead...

Da_Cha-gers
10-04-2005, 03:39 PM
This is a quote from a different newspaper (the Washington Post) article (link below):

>>>>"Several NFL executives and player agents had predicted Arrington's benching as a precursor to his release. He had been mired in a lengthy grievance over his eight-year, $68 million contract that was only recently resolved, and clashed with the organization over the handling of his injuries last season. Arrington, the second overall pick in the 2000 draft, carries a $12 million salary cap figure for 2006, and while cutting him in the offseason could result in an $11 million cap hit in 2006, the Redskins have endured such penalties in the past to create future cap room. Arrington has a $6.5 million roster bonus due in July, sources said, and cutting him before then would save the Redskins $7 million in actual dollars (including Arrington's 2006 base salary). "<<<<

By Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, October 4, 2005
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/03/AR2005100301853.html

I would think there would have to be several things that would have to happen for the Chargers to be interested - #1 "IF" he gets cut loose and doesn't require a huge amount of $$$ to sign him #2 "IF" he passes a physical (maybe that should go 1st ;) ) #3 "IF" Marty and A.J. would feel he could fit in and contribute - without being a disruption/negative to the team (David Boston?).

The Chargers look pretty good right now as it stands, I wouldn't expect that anything like a La Var Arrington deal would happen OR have to happen for us to be solid on the 'D' side of the ball.

"IF" it's true that Marty had a good relationship etc. with La Var when in Washington that could possibly be a factor - but again, I don't believe we need La Var per se, it could possibly be a luxury - and "IF" the price is right etc. hey, why not?

Probably NOT likely, but hey - who knows?

Go Chargers!

:Helmet:

DualCycle
10-04-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't mind Arrington replacing Godfrey next year.

Alibell1
10-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Dude is a "me" first player, not the kind of guy the Chargers need. The Chargers are after high character guys, and everything I've seen from this guy since he's been in the league shows me he doesn't fit the high character mold.
Let the Raiders have him, they seem to turn guys into busts rather quick.

hambone
10-04-2005, 06:34 PM
i'd love to have him on thea team but i like having the 4 good linebackers we can afford rather then some teams that like the 1 great lb that costs alot and a bunch of crappy ones around him

guimcharger
10-04-2005, 06:39 PM
If he is the price of Godfrey I am all for it otherwise find another team.

J.S. Park
10-04-2005, 07:28 PM
No way We want super CB not OLB.

SDFaiderHater
10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
I don't mind Arrington replacing Godfrey next year.

how bout moving Foley inside. hes a good tackler and has alot of power to clog up holes.

Bubba86
10-04-2005, 07:52 PM
how bout moving Foley inside. hes a good tackler and has alot of power to clog up holes.

cause hes also a good pass rusher and moving him inside will take him away from that role.

JoeMcRugby
10-04-2005, 08:43 PM

After six years of playing out of position and being a nobody in the NFL, in 2004 Foley was finally moved into his natural position and shined as a pass rushing OLB in the 3-4.

No way he gets moved back inside to become a nobody once again.

Tycebrew
10-04-2005, 09:52 PM
After six years of playing out of position and being a nobody in the NFL, in 2004 Foley was finally moved into his natural position and shined as a pass rushing OLB in the 3-4.

Foley needs to stay on the outside. On the flip side, I do think its possible to have LaVar reform to the ILB position.

I honestly dont know why he is being benched and it would be hard to believe that it is a precursor to being cut, unless they truly can handle the cap hit.

LaVar's attitude has been a problem in the past but I cant truly remember anything recently that has gotten him into trouble. There was that shooting at a party he partially sponsored, but he was nowhere near the incident nor had anything to do with it.

Money-wise, I don't believe this deal will happen, regardless if Marty likes him or not.

guimcharger
10-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Why couldn't Arington play MLB? (Middle Linebacker not Major League Baseball :) )

smcards08
10-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Didnt he play inside in College?

paul.almryde
10-04-2005, 10:18 PM
:Helmet: I think the Chargers are set at linebackers,we need defensive backs.:Football: Go Chargers

SuperBowlBolts
10-04-2005, 10:25 PM
:Helmet: I think the Chargers are set at linebackers,we need defensive backs.:Football: Go Chargers
More like we need verteran DBs

JoeMcRugby
10-04-2005, 10:35 PM
Didnt he play inside in College?

Nope. He's never played inside LB to my knowledge.

Any outside linebacker that comes to Penn State will be compared to Arrington, just as he was compared to those before him.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2004/09/09-18-04cm/09-18-04dsports-05.asp

An All-Big Ten first-team selection, he played strongside LB and posted career-highs in tackles (72), tackles-for-loss (20 for -98 yards), sacks (9.0), blocked kicks (two) and fumble recoveries (two).

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=28753

Converting life-long prototypical pass rushing OLB Arrington to an ILB would be as big of a folly as the coaching staffs that stuck the "square peg into the round hole" Steve Foley into other linebacking roles during his first six NFL seasons.

Except it would be a lot more expensive folly than with Foley.

NorCalBoltBrain
10-04-2005, 10:41 PM
If he were a star DB, I would think about it. Right now, we are way set at linebacker for years to come. I hope they move Leber inside, he IS one of our best players. I could see him being a disruptive force from the middle.

sagagsr
10-04-2005, 11:22 PM
i agree, we're stacked at LB

Da_Cha-gers
10-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Arrington's Hefty Contract Limits Redskins' Options

By Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 5, 2005; Page E13

The biggest question regarding linebacker LaVar Arrington's future in Washington may not be whether he will be here beyond this season, but when he will depart. Several NFL general managers and player agents expect Arrington, once the face of the organization and now relegated to the lower depths of the roster, to be playing elsewhere in 2006 given his hefty contract, recent history with the club, injuries and lack of significance on this defense.

Arrington, 27, has a $12.05 million salary cap figure in 2006 -- almost twice that of any other Redskins player -- and is scheduled to receive a $6.5 million roster bonus July 15; four general managers and three prominent agents who have assessed the situation agreed that those factors likely will lead to an offseason departure. Arrington himself referred to an apparent shift of the team away from him Monday, and alluded to possibly having to pass physicals for other teams to prove that his surgically repaired knee is healed. Both Arrington and Coach Joe Gibbs have said he is fit enough to play.

Arrington is virtually ensured of being here for the duration of this season. Dealing him before the Oct. 18 trade deadline would require $12 million of salary cap space for Washington; the Redskins are about $1.6 million under the cap, league sources said. Washington could attempt to deal him in the offseason, when it could absorb that kind of cap hit, but considering he may have gone nearly two seasons without playing full time by then, and the fact that other teams may feel the Redskins are resigned to having to cut him eventually, getting value for the three-time Pro Bowler could prove difficult. Two general managers suggested a second- or third-round pick as possible value for Arrington, if healthy.

Picking up Arrington's roster bonus in July would require Washington to pay him $7 million total for 2006 (bonus plus base salary), and would also ensure he counts $12 million against its 2006 cap. Cutting Arrington in March would require a $12.14 million hit, but he would be off Washington's books after 2006; the team has incurred steep penalties in the past to make such moves. (Arrington's contract carries a $6.5 million cap figure in 2007 and $9.133 million in 2008, for example, but that would disappear if he were released or traded in March.)

If there is no extension to the current collective bargaining agreement this season, there will be no June 1 cut date in 2006, negating the opportunity to spread cap hits over two seasons. However, the Redskins may opt to wait beyond March, save about $200,000 and carry Arrington's $12 million figure against their salary cap during that critical month when free agency begins, in hopes of an extension later in the spring that would restore the June 1 date and allow them to spread Arrington's cap figure over two seasons.

Arrington has essentially been relegated to the fifth linebacker on the roster, behind the three starters, as well as reserve Chris Clemons. Khary Campbell is the sixth linebacker, but even he gets on the field more than Arrington, given his key role on special teams. Arrington took part in two plays in Sunday's win over Seattle and sat out the entire second half despite the Seahawks' comeback, which included a 91-yard drive that tied the game at 17 in the waning minutes. The coaches have given no indication that Arrington's role will increase anytime soon, and it may require injuries to other linebackers for him to play regularly.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/04/AR2005100401283.html

Another story in which Joe Gibbs answers some questions about LaVar - titled "Arrington's status with Skins? ''He's not a starter'':
http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=93136&ran=64551

It is an interesting thought - that a former 3 time pro-bowler seems to have fallen out of favor with his current team and could possibly be a "value". It's quite possible he would have to play for much less at this point - until he re-proves that he's worth the money - it would be hard to believe that any team would give him anywhere near the same type 8yr - $68mil contract that he signed with Washington.

The fact that Marty and Shawne know/have known LaVar - also makes it kind of interesting.

I would guess there's probably little (if any) interest from the Chargers for several reasons - The Chargers have a pretty darn good LB corps, the possible cost, the team chemistry, is LaVar the same player he was 2 yrs ago? - there are plenty of questions.

I don't think there's any way the Chargers would extend themselves on this (if they were interested) by giving up a high draft pick OR taking on a problem or large contract. I think the only way they would be interested is "IF" they could get a good deal - all the way around.

Do we need another LB? probably not - is this likely to interest the Chargers brass? probably not - unless they could get a heck of a deal fairly cheap.

interesting to think about though.

Go Chargers!

IgorUnchained
10-05-2005, 01:19 AM
Arrington is a stud and I would love to have him on the team. Foley is GREAT, but he isnt a spring chicken. Hopefully he has alot of good years left, but you never know.

That said, there are one million reasons to "Just Say No" to Arrington....the first couple reasons-

1) Way too expensive (although dont forget that there is a very good chance that we wont be paying for 2 high end QBs next year).

2) I dont think he is a ME FIRST type per se.....but he doesnt seem to be a good character match for the rest of the D. I do love his intensity and his play on the field, but the guy has been a distraction as long as he has been in the league.

3) If he goes down he will likely take Merriman with him. You dont want to make progress with a "young gun" and then bring in his overly vocal and seldom happy older friend to mentor him (esp when you have Foley to do it!)

4) HE HAS THE SAME AGENT AS MERRIMAN!!!!

You can never be afraid to pay good money for a good player...and you can never be too deep at LB when you run a 3-4 D - But I say take a pass on Lavar.

Gadzooks
10-05-2005, 06:06 AM
Would it be safe to call him a bust at this point?

Thunderstruck
10-05-2005, 06:32 AM
Would it be safe to call him a bust at this point?

Considering he's a three-time pro bowler, I don't think "bust" would be an accurate term for him.

SDFaiderHater
10-05-2005, 07:23 AM

this was a hypothetical if we got Arrington type Q.

i like our team the way it is, just wish merriman would get some more playing time.

SuperMatt
10-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Could Arrington really be as big a distraction as everyone seems to think he is? I read somewhere that Marty had great things to say about him from his tenure in Washington. The dude is BIG, fast and plays hard. I don't see how having him (at a reasonable price tag) would hurt this Chargers team. I'm not sure where he'd fit currently, but maybe an offseason trade to fill Godfrey's spot? We all know Randall is gonna hang it up after he finally gets his ring. ;)

Gadzooks
10-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Considering he's a three-time pro bowler, I don't think "bust" would be an accurate term for him.
Larry Allen's still going to Pro Bowls. As I recall Donnie didn't go last year and LT didn't go the year before.
I would say his injury problems have hindered his career to this point and he hasn't had the impact that a guy drafted in his spot is expected to.
When you consider Jr. was Drafted 5th overall and this guy was No.2 overall you would expect as big an impact (at least).
If Jammer were playing in Was he might have been to his 3rd Pro Bowl by now.

L.T. - 21
10-05-2005, 07:21 PM
well, u can never have enough defensive help, right guys?

JoeMcRugby
10-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Yeah, here's the one missing piece to a trip to the Super Bowl. After all, what the heck do Joe Gibbs, Gregg Williams and Joe Bugel know about the NFL? :rolleyes:

Gibbs says he won't discuss LaVar anymore

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Joe Gibbs wants to stop contributing to the daily saga surrounding benched linebacker LaVar Arrington (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/70869).

The Washington Redskins (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67062) coach said Wednesday he was addressing probably "for the last time" what has become a distracting soap opera starring the three-time Pro Bowler. Before closing the matter, Gibbs gave a parting shot, disputing Arrington's claim that the coaches haven't explained why Arrington isn't playing.

"LaVar said nobody's talked to him," Gibbs said. "I've talked to LaVar more than any other player I've ever coached in 30 years, probably three times more. I've had great conversations with him, and told him exactly what he needs to do. Our coaching staff here has got tons of experience, and, I believe, play the best guys. And so at whatever point LaVar's the best person to be in there, I'm convinced he'll be in there."

Gibbs' assistants have been more blunt. Gregg Williams, the assistant head coach for defense, said last week that Arrington needs to practice better, and Joe Bugel offered probably the most revealing insight - that the team can't play someone who mixes one flashy play with four or five bad ones.

Still, the story goes on, fueled by fans who have made Arrington the most popular player on the team and by Arrington himself. Arrington usually says the right thing - "I'm a team player" - but his forum is too large for his frustration not to show. For instance, he has a weekly 30-minute radio interview on WTEM-AM with former Georgetown coach John Thompson, who this week got Arrington to take a swipe at Williams.

"Coach Williams says I've got to show them in practice," Arrington said on the show. "Well, in practice, give me some reps so you can see what I can do. If you're not going to play me, then don't play me. Just don't make things up about why I'm not playing. I'm healthy. I'm of sound mind and body. Don't try to slander me. It's being insinuated that I'm not smart enough to play this defense. That's absurd."

Arrington played only two plays in the victory over Seattle two weeks ago and didn't play at all in Sunday's loss at Denver. He lost his starting job while he was out with a knee injury last season. Now he has fallen so far on the depth chart that he can't even get on the field to rush the passer - the best part of his game.

Each time he speaks, Arrington seems resigned that he's not going to play anytime soon, and that he probably will be playing with another team next season.

"I've lowered my expectation level," Arrington said Wednesday. "I was expecting maybe more this week, maybe more that week, maybe more the next week. It hasn't happened, so I don't want to keep disappointing myself."

Arrington reiterated that he doesn't know why he's not playing, despite Gibbs' assertion to the contrary. Asked about his reputation as a freelancer lacking the discipline to play his position, Arrington said he does what he's supposed to do when on the field.

"I make plays," Arrington said. "Sometimes I might overrun a play. I'm not above saying that. Who doesn't? Last time I checked, people made mistakes. I've not met one person that's played a perfect game yet."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4978366

TBOLTZCALI
10-12-2005, 10:19 PM
pull the trigger just before we play washington...sounds like a fairytale to me.

JoeMcRugby
10-12-2005, 10:21 PM
pull the trigger just before we play washington...sounds like a fairytale to me.

Pull what trigger? You want this cancerous non-performer to infect the Chargers?

Bad enough he's screwing up my childhood favorite team - don't worsen it by bringing this uncoachable unit to my Chargers! :mad:

HeadTrip
10-12-2005, 10:24 PM
I think Marty knows a thing or 2 about football too joe ;). If he says Lavar is a good guy, then im inclined to believe him. Trouble is, there might not be a spot for him on this team, and he might want too much money.

As much as I would like to give LaVar a shot, I think our resources might be better spent on a safety or even a LB with better coverage skills.

TBOLTZCALI
10-12-2005, 10:31 PM
nothings going to happen. its all just a bunch of rumors. til this point, the chargers still believe in there secondary while a bunch of us know that the secondary needs alot of help. maybe a hard hitting safety would help our cb's.

TBOLTZCALI
10-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Pull what trigger? You want this cancerous non-performer to infect the Chargers?

Bad enough he's screwing up my childhood favorite team - don't worsen it by bringing this uncoachable unit to my Chargers! :mad:
well, maybe some cancer on the team could help fire these guys up and play a bit more physical, cuz what ever is going on on our defense sure isnt helping..whether its the coaches or players...something needs to change.

JoeMcRugby
10-12-2005, 10:40 PM
I think Marty knows a thing or 2 about football too joe ;). If he says Lavar is a good guy, then im inclined to believe him. Trouble is, there might not be a spot for him on this team, and he might want too much money.

As much as I would like to give LaVar a shot, I think our resources might be better spent on a safety or even a LB with better coverage skills.

LaVar may be a great guy, but apparently he's a liar as well.

Gibbs knows a thing or two about the NFL and I can guarantee that he didn't come back to the NFL in order to sully his Hall of Fame reputation by dispensing lies about a player who is contributing nothing to the Skins club that has risen from the dead.

If Arrington says no one has told him what is going on and Gibbs (a big-time players coach) states that he's told him on numerous occasions why he's not playing: call me a zombie-esque idiot, but I'll take Gibbs', Bugel's and Williams' words and comments over Arrington's.

As for Marty: he knew Arrington back in 2001 when he was an impressionable rookie. Much has changed with LaVar on and off the field in the past four years. Keep this guy far, far away from the team-oriented Chargers. Let the Raiduhs waste their few remaining cap dollars on the "big name" low production Arrington.

Thankfully, there is a zero percent chance that AJ brings him aboard before next offseason, and at that, it will be at the veteran's minimum salary with the implicit instruction that he'll have to beat out the returning LBs to earn a job.

JoeMcRugby
10-12-2005, 10:44 PM
well, maybe some cancer on the team could help fire these guys up and play a bit more physical, cuz what ever is going on on our defense sure isnt helping..whether its the coaches or players...something needs to change.

Yeah, we need a a guy who has a bigger contract than LT, who doesn't practice hard, who doesn't follow the defensive gameplan and then lies about what the coaches tell him to fire up the troops!!

That's the ticket to the Super Bowl!!! ;)

GdoubleE
10-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Lets get Sean Taylor!!!!!???? Now there is a Washington kid we have much need for. A fast hard hitting ball hawk of a FS that will shorten the arms of every receiver we face.

Oh well at least there are some pretty good safeties coming out of school although Jason Allen was injured and is out for the year.

Go bolts!!!

JoeMcRugby
10-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Even though the ultra-talented Taylor may be spending the next couple of years in the can, he'd be a far better player to bring in rather than the perrenially underachieving Arrignton.

After all, the Chargers could get some production from Taylor in 2006 if he isn't convicted or in 2008 if he is convicted rather than pretty much being guaranteed no on-field production from LaVar. That is, if the "craziest of them all" from the wild wild U doesn't get into more criminal problems back in Miami next offseason.

Chargeroo
10-12-2005, 11:48 PM
If he can't get along with Gibbs, what makes anyone think he'd get along with Marty?

We are pretty darn strong at the LB position, could he even crack the starting lineup here?

Doesn't he have a huge salary?

On the other hand, can he play Safety? :D

HeadTrip
10-12-2005, 11:52 PM
If he can't get along with Gibbs, what makes anyone think he'd get along with Marty?

We are pretty darn strong at the LB position, could he even crack the starting lineup here?

Doesn't he have a huge salary?

On the other hand, can he play Safety? :D

Lol... Ill bet LT plays a mean safety :D.

Da_Cha-gers
10-13-2005, 12:00 AM
How much did the Redskins (Joe & Co.) spend on FA last yr??? All that $$$ didn't buy them into the playoffs or SB.

Here's what one Washington writer has to say about Gibbs recently:

>>>>Now, I'm not gonna knock Joe Gibbs and Gregg Williams for their debatable decision to give Arrington almost total R&R on game days. I don't have to knock them, because everyone else in D.C. and environs already is.<<<<

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20051012-120126-6396r.htm

I don't know the situation in Washington, but it seems possible that Arrington ticked off someone/people in the organization with some events that happened off the field regarding his contract and injury treatment. It could have something to do with his playing ability, but i wouldn't be surprised if it's NOT.

Here are LaVar's stats - which speak for him:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187383

>>>>Several NFL executives and player agents had predicted Arrington's benching as a precursor to his release. He had been mired in a lengthy grievance over his eight-year, $68 million contract that was only recently resolved, and clashed with the organization over the handling of his injuries last season.<<<<

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/03/AR2005100301853.html

Last week against the Bronco's:
>>>>Even with Washington trailing by 11 points late and coaches funneling in depth players such as defensive lineman Ryan Boschetti, Arrington was an afterthought. Most of the game he stood alone at one end or the other of the sideline and was quick to congratulate teammates as they came off the field.<<<<

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/09/AR2005100901482.html

LaVar may not be for the Chargers - that I don't know, but for some to slam him and try and say that he hasn't done anything (check the passes def in his stats you'll notice he has about as many as Jammer) and he's a cancer etc well, there are 2 sides to LaVar Arrington's story and it wouldn't be the first time an athlete was in a teams/coaches dog house for more off field reasons than on.

I don't know if he's a T.O. or a Randy Moss type or not - I would be surprised if he all of a sudden lost his talent and ability - but hey - you never know.

I don't think he's going anywhere before THIS season ends - he's due $6mil July next yr - probably sometime between the two.

I've read good things said about him by Marty and Champ Bailey and i'm pretty sure Shawne would have nice things to say also.

I would only be interested if LaVar could be had at a bargain price or a reasonable price - his current #'s are way too high - and at this point I feel he does have to prove his worth and possibly dispel some myths (if they are).

JoeMcRugby
10-13-2005, 12:07 AM
I'll believe Gibbs over Arrington any day of the week, Da-Chargers.

BTW It was the Skins pathetic offense that kept them out of the playoffs in 2004. Their defense was the NFL's best despite a zero-zip-nada-zilch contribution from Arrington.

Year G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

2004 4 15 11.0 4 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 2
2005 3 2 2.0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

And if Arrington gave them a better chance of winning, he'd be playing. He's not. He's a $67 million benchwarmer sitting behind an undrafted free agent who plays within the defensive scheme laid out by perhaps the best in the business defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. The Daniel, who pays the huge bucks for two plays contribution in the last two games, would certainly be raising a stink if LaVar was being "dissed" by Hall of Famer straight shooting Joe and best in the business Gregg.

The tuck rule and a missed two-point conversion against the Donks in Denver is the only reason that the once again defensively-dominating 2005 Skins aren't undefeated along with the Colts going into next weekend's game.

Da_Cha-gers
10-13-2005, 12:33 AM
All that $$$ on FA and HOF joe to coach them - how could they possibly lose???

Is "the Daniel" related to "the Donald"?

How were Arrington's stats?

If I were LaVar I would just smile and show up to the games - knowing I'd be playing somewhere else next yr. R&R making lots of green $$$ (we should ALL be so lucky!!!

Take Care Joe ;) and take it easy on LaVar :D HE wasn't the reason the Skins lost last yr (like you said) and "the Daniel" can probably afford it, after all - isn't he making a bid on Magic Mountain or something in entertainment?

Here's to the Chargers :Beer: and getting this ship on course to the playoffs!

Go Chargers!

Sirbob
10-13-2005, 01:21 AM
I would rather see money spent on Fonoti then this guy.

grnvlydude
10-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Put him in Leber's place... If there's a weak link at LB it's Leber.

stamm321
10-13-2005, 08:20 AM
we dont need another linebacker - we need a proven CB or SS - someone to come in and mentor our younger players in the secondary - alot like McCardell has done for our rec. corps - JMO

JoeMcRugby
10-13-2005, 08:35 AM

Merriman will be taking Leber's place in the next few weeks. So do they cut Merriman to free up money for Arrington's "bigger than LT" contract?

BTW Leber is a far more sound LB than Arrington. Read Bugel's contract - in a defense that Wade Phillips runs that depends on everyone doing their job, how can you play a LB who makes four or five bad plays freelancing for every "flashy" Sportscenter play?

You can't do it on a "winning" defense which is precisely why LaVar's butt is glued to the Redskins bench these days.

JoeMcRugby
10-13-2005, 08:42 AM
All that $$$ on FA and HOF joe to coach them - how could they possibly lose???

No offense in year one. Just like the Skins had some problems in year one of Gibbs' first go-round. They've been corrected and the team and defense looks very sharp in year two with LaVar making zero contributions to its success.

And if you've followed me on this board, you know where I stand on high priced free agent acquisitions.

How were Arrington's stats?

Horrible once a top notch defensive coordinator came on board.

His stats were decent when the defense was horrible, in a large part due to the huge plays that were given up while LaVar was freelancing away from his everydown responsibilities in search of a Sportscenter highlight hit. Who cares if you win or lose, so long as you're on Sportscenter, right? ;)

If I were LaVar I would just smile and show up to the games - knowing I'd be playing somewhere else next yr. R&R making lots of green $$$ (we should ALL be so lucky!!!)

So long as it isn't the Chargers money he's grazing on next year, I couldn't agree more. :D

Here's to the Chargers and getting this ship on course to the playoffs!

Back at ya!! :Beer:

Boltbaby
10-13-2005, 08:50 AM
we dont need another linebacker - we need a proven CB or SS - someone to come in and mentor our younger players in the secondary - alot like McCardell has done for our rec. corps - JMO

Maybe we could get "PAST HIS PRIME TIME" from the Ravens!

stamm321
10-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Maybe we could get "PAST HIS PRIME TIME" from the Ravens!

as much as i dislike "prime time" and i detest his attention hungry ways - i hate to say this.. but..
it would be a huge improvement in our secondary (**washing my mouth out with soap**)

Chargeroo
10-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Is there anyone in the entire NFL that you guys wouldn't start a thread about if news came out that they were available? Gees, every single time there's a story saying so and so may be available we get a new thread saying lets sign this guy! I'm not saying anything against Arrington except that we don't need another expensive LB, but "Prime Time"? You must be joking - he's an over the hill, part time player now and besides that he hates Marty.

To the guy that said replace Leber. You need to take a closer look. Leber is a solid LB, always in the right place on play after play and he's a very good tackler. Want to replace one of our LB's? Replace the one that can't jam up the los when a big back is running right at him - Donnie Edwards.

rule12b
10-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Is there anyone in the entire NFL that you guys wouldn't start a thread about if news came out that they were available? Gees, every single time there's a story saying so and so may be available we get a new thread saying lets sign this guy! I'm not saying anything against Arrington except that we don't need another expensive LB, but "Prime Time"? You must be joking - he's an over the hill, part time player now and besides that he hates Marty.

To the guy that said replace Leber. You need to take a closer look. Leber is a solid LB, always in the right place on play after play and he's a very good tackler. Want to replace one of our LB's? Replace the one that can't jam up the los when a big back is running right at him - Donnie Edwards.

ROO! Man, you Mods are all toking on the anti-Edwards sensi wayyy too much. Other than Ray Lewis, who is gonna single-handedly bring down the Bus under those circumstances. DE has been playing solid football imho. . .

rule12b
10-13-2005, 11:11 AM

Really?? Why is that so? I've seen a lot of great play from Ben this year in the footage I review each week. So tell me where you see the big breakdown please. . .:confused:

One thing I noticed against Pittsburgh actually was that in running plays away from Leber's side, he was strong at shedding blocks and pursuing behind the LOS. Everytime I saw Merriman in the same situation he'd get stood up and stopped by the first blocker to get his hands on him. Merriman is agile and quick, but his big plays come when he gets in almost unblocked. Leber is, at this time, shedding blocks better and therefore, free to make plays, albeit less "sportscenter" worthy perhaps than SM.

I love Merriman, don't get me wrong, but Leber is solid and making serious plays and I'm tired of people bagging on him as if he has returned to his 2002 form, when in fact, he has stepped his game up appreciably.

LoveDemBolts
10-13-2005, 11:31 AM
ROO! Man, you Mods are all toking on the anti-Edwards sensi wayyy too much. Other than Ray Lewis, who is gonna single-handedly bring down the Bus under those circumstances. DE has been playing solid football imho. . .
Donnie Edwards has been stinking up the joint this year, especially in coverage. When I first heard about the possibility of Marty's interest in Arrington, I thought it was ridiculous - mainly due to the fact that the only place in our defense where Arrington would be effective would be in Donnie's spot.

Having watched the last few games, and watching Donnie blow coverages and miss tackles on recievers over the middle, I would be welcome to having him replaced with Arrington in the off-season. Of course, Donnie's got 11 games to get his stuff togehter, otherwise I will be ALL for going after Arrington in free agency.

SDFaiderHater
10-13-2005, 11:55 AM
I think him (Foley) along with Edwards and Godfrey are very capable LB's who understand the game and leave their ego's behind. I think Merriman coming into the fold does carry a big stick and may have an ego as well - but I'm sure our LB's will definitley tone that down in the locker room for sure. But on the field - he's a beast!

Hey if Merriman plays like he has the past couple weeks, the guy is going to take lebers job, i like ben, but doesn't merriman just bring a whole other thing to the field that it lacks when Leber is there??? i garauntee leber doesnt make big ben fumble.

SuperMatt
10-13-2005, 12:10 PM
There are obvious question marks regarding LaVar Arrington, but he has shown incredible athleticism, speed and toughness on an NFL field, which is not something that should be overlooked. He has had some trouble the past year and a half with the Redskins, but Redskins management hasn't exactly been the best over the past couple years.

Corey Dillon was an over-payed, underperforming "cancer" in Cincinnatti when he was barking for a trade and then went on to win a superbowl with the Patriots.

Foley wasn't even playing in Cincy before he came here and had a MONSTER year.

I'm not saying I'd take LaVar Arrington on this Charger team (especially at the price he's at this year), but if we could somehow get him for a reasonable price, in the offseason, I'd say bring him in to see what he's got.

JoeMcRugby
10-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Matt,

He's got a bigger than LT contract. You think he or the Poston brothers are going to give money back? Add in the fact that his knee doesn't have any meniscus remaining (bone on bone) and it's not a very good gamble IMO.

BTW The Skins defense has been the NFL's best over the 2004 and 2005 seasons.

Da_Cha-gers
10-13-2005, 12:49 PM
As to my question to you Joe: >"How were Arrington's stats"?<

Your answer:

His stats were decent when the defense was horrible, in a large part due to the huge plays that were given up while LaVar was freelancing away from his everydown responsibilities in search of a Sportscenter highlight hit. Who cares if you win or lose, so long as you're on Sportscenter, right? ;)

Joe I don't know why you chose to use the stats from last yr (broken leg) or this yr (benched) to base your argument that Arrington can't play/makes 1 good play for every 5 he misses etc. - when the fact IS he was a 3 time PBer with some pretty good stats BEFORE he suffered the broken leg.

Arringtons stats which INCLUDE pre-broken leg/benching (also scroll down to check the "forced fumbles"):
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187383

>>>"Horrible once a top notch defensive coordinator came on board"<<<

The guy breaks his leg (last yr) and then gets benched (this yr) and you say his stats are "Horrible" ....... Gee, why would that be? - I don't know too many players that PLAY with broken legs and it IS pretty hard to show what you can do when standing over on the sideline. His stats from '00 - '03 (when healthy and on the field) look pretty good and did get him into 3 PB's.

Joe - I don't know if you missed THIS in my post #57 in this thread:
>>>>I would only be interested if LaVar could be had at a bargain price or a reasonable price - his current #'s are way too high - and at this point I feel he does have to prove his worth and possibly dispel some myths (if they are).<<<<

I would tend to agree with you generally on the subject of "high priced FA's".

I don't know all the facts about his contract situation and the "alleged" missing $6mill bonus money and whether it was intentional or not and was "missed" by his agent when the contract was signed etc. - I believe a settlement WAS reached -OR- also his treatment during his injury.

I believe it's totally possible that he really ruffled some feathers and ticked somone/people off (Dan/Joe?) - and maybe he WAS in the wrong - I don't know. but it's also possible someone is teaching him a lesson - like, sure you get all that $$$ .... but we'll stick it to you by not letting you play.

Is LaVar a trouble maker? ... I don't know. Did he challenge the organization with regards to his contract? - yes. ... Is he being punished for that? ... again, I don't know.

Also from my post #57 this thread:

Here's what one Washington writer has to say about Gibbs recently:

>>>>Now, I'm not gonna knock Joe Gibbs and Gregg Williams for their debatable decision to give Arrington almost total R&R on game days. I don't have to knock them, because everyone else in D.C. and environs already is.<<<<

According to THIS writer theres quite a few people who may view Gibbs/Williams decision as "debatable" and are knocking them for it. If LaVar was viewed in Washington as a troublemaker/whiner or poor player etc. why would there be many people defending him? I would think if he were viewed as a "bad guy" people wouldn't be questioning Gibbs/Williams decision. Of course, Gibbs/Williams may simply be carrying out "The Daniels" wishes. Again, with THAT I don't know.

And Speaking of "The Daniel" it's SixFlags he's interested in buying -

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/12852893.htm

Take Care, Have A Great Day :)

Chargers - Chargers - Chargers

Chargeroo
10-13-2005, 12:51 PM
:D I guess we are but he hasn't been playing as well as he had in the past. Then there's the "I want a new contract" stuff. He brought the attention to his self. I started rolling the tivo back and forth and I think he's slipped - could be that injury, could be that attitude about being underpaid, could be the years of the body taking a beating...... I don't know why, but I do know he can play better. Add to that the fact that Wilhelm is his backup and hes played well when he's in there -and that's why we've been harping on him. Last year I was all happy with Donnie but I wonder now if Wilhelm may not be better? It's not up to me though, I let the coaching staff decide. :)

paul.almryde
10-13-2005, 12:58 PM
:Helmet: We don't need another linebacker, we need HELP in the secondary and fast.:Bolt: Go Chargers

JoeMcRugby
10-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Da_Chargers,

Do the stats show how many plays were blown due to freelancing on his own outside the defensive scheme? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. If you can guide me to a website that analyzes every play that a player makes instead of "tackles made" [a non-official NFL statistic that is gathered through the team's "official statistician" (aka unofficial statistician since teams don't have an official statistician)] and sacks, I'll be happy to look.

Until then, I'll rely on some of the top coaches in the NFL's analysis of his play that deems the highlight film seeker - undisciplined freelancer to be less valuable in the Skins defensive scheme than an undrafted free agent who plays within the scheme.

As for "post-injury" stats and status: Arrington's injury status became coincidentally worse at the same time that his contract (that was initialled on each and every page by the Poston brothers) came into question due to the Postons' negligence / professional malpractice. Since LaVar is the only one who knew / knows how bad his injury is / was, I'll take his word that his missing a lot more games than anticipated was due to his knee not being ready.

However, following the lost 2004 season with the knee issue still hanging in the air, Arrington chose to skip all of the Redskins' offseason training and conditioning sessions. When training camp opened, Arrington's knee was still not ready to go. Sound like a familiar situation as with the Chargers - Jesse Chatman ring a bell?

All the while the undrafted free agent LB was working his butt off and earned the starting position. When the season opens, Gibbs and Williams tell Arrington what he needs to do - work his butt off in practice and earn playing time. Unlike Jesse, who looked in a mirror and placed the blame where it belonged, LaVar blames everything on everyone else but himself and apparently lying that no one has told him what he needs to do to get playing time.

As for LaVar's complaining about reps in practice: The vast majority of reps in regular season practices go to the starters. He burned his chance of being a starter when he chose to not attend offseason conditioning sessions and then not being physically ready to earn a starting job. He needs to be flying around the practice field when he does get reps and ask for reps as a scout teamer if he really wants to play.

Apparently, that isn't LaVar's style and he's content with collecting paychecks as you suggested he do. If he wants to reclaim his status and playing time in the NFL, he needs to stare in the mirror, take a deep look inside and place the blame for his current butt-glued to the bench position where it belongs.

I have no sympathy for those who want to throw blame around at everyone and everything except for where it belongs. LaVar needs to grow up IMHO.

Aloha21
10-13-2005, 02:15 PM
Another Poston client? - not sure AJ would go for that, despite the 'warm fuzzies' that he expressed on behalf of Kevin Poston following Merriman's surprisingly painless signing.

Aloha

Da_Cha-gers
10-13-2005, 04:22 PM
JoeMcRugby
As to my question to you: >"How were Arrington's stats"?<

Your answer:

"His stats were decent when the defense was horrible, in a large part due to the huge plays that were given up while LaVar was freelancing away from his everydown responsibilities in search of a Sportscenter highlight hit. Who cares if you win or lose, so long as you're on Sportscenter, right?"

The guy breaks his leg (last yr) and then gets benched (this yr) and you say his stats are "Horrible" ....... Gee, why would that be? - I don't know too many players that PLAY with broken legs and it IS pretty hard to show what you can do when standing over on the sideline. His stats from '00 - '03 (when healthy and on the field) look pretty good and did get him into 3 PB's.

You missed this stuff above? :confused:

Instead you go into this:
>>>>"Do the stats show how many plays were blown due to freelancing on his own outside the defensive scheme?"<<<<

c'mon Joe, I guess I could ask you "how many plays were MADE due to freelancing on his own" etc. ;)

The question was "how were his stats?" (pre-injury/benching)

Also in your post #58 you "accidently" left out his stats WHEN HE COULD/DID PLAY. Why was that? .... perhaps to make him look as bad as possible?

The guy made 3 PB's and has had good stats when he's played - now IS he the same player he was in '02/'03 etc.? .... hey, I sure don't have a clue as he really hasn't been given an opportunity to show "IF" he still has it or "IF" he's lost it and is washed up etc.

I'm not saying, nor have I said in ANY of my posts in this thread that this is a guy the Chargers "have to have" etc. I've made it clear (I hope) that if the price were right and if he wasn't a problem/cancer that the Chargers might give him some consideration. I'm NOT saying that we need him or we have to have him etc. - but Marty does have a background with the guy (the other guys he brought over from the Skins didn't work out here) and there are others that think he's been pretty good (links below).

From that writer in Washington that said

From a '03 article titled "Who is the best player in the NFL"?
Arrington was #29 of 50 listed. (he didn't play in '04)

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6395658

And also this "2005 player ratings: Linebackers"
if you scroll down to the bottom you'll see a listing of 25 inside and outside LB's - he's listed 8th OLB under their rating system.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-06-29-sw-rankings-linebackers_x.htm

Anyway Joe, it would appear we agree to dis-agree on LaVar. I'm open and willing to check him out and I think you have painted your picture. I think it's unfortunate that you can't give the guy his props etc. and prefer to slam him, ... but hey - to each their own. :Beer:

Take Care

Go Chargers!

GdoubleE
10-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Unfortunately many fans believe that high priced players are cancers.

LarryAW
10-13-2005, 04:57 PM
nothings going to happen. its all just a bunch of rumors. til this point, the chargers still believe in there secondary while a bunch of us know that the secondary needs alot of help. maybe a hard hitting safety would help our cb's.

The Charger's "say" they believe in the secondary. There is not a lot they can do right now and publicly trashing their secondary isn't going to help them get much-needed wins. If things don't improve, there will be changes in the offseason. I just have to believe that.

JoeMcRugby
10-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Pre-injury status in 2001, 2002 and 2003 is fine, Da_Cha-gers.

However, I'm interested in the 2005 Arrington, and an undrafted free agent is better than the $67 million guy sitting on the bench because he is still suffering from the effects of arthroscopic surgery suffered from late summer 2004 and the coaching staff believes the $67 million guy doesn't follow the defensive scheme.

BTW I haven't heard you address the fact that Arrington skipped the entire 2005 offseason conditioning program, thus putting him in a position where he was not ready to play or fully participate in training camp practices. Whose fault was that? Gibbs? Williams?

Just to make you happy, I'll give him some love:

LaVar, I'm very impressed with your spectacular all-around play in the early 2000s alongside other all-pros and stars Champ Bailey, Fred Smoot and the like. It led to the Redskins' spectacular success and stellar defensive team performances during those championship years. :Beer:

TBOLTZCALI
10-13-2005, 06:07 PM
can you compare this situation to rodney harrison? harrison wasnt that great when he was with the chargers due to injuries. now look at him, off to another team and wins two superbowls. it could happen.

JoeMcRugby
10-13-2005, 06:15 PM
can you compare this situation to rodney harrison? harrison wasnt that great when he was with the chargers due to injuries. now look at him, off to another team and wins two superbowls. it could happen.

I don't. Totally different scenarios.

LaVar has gotten his big money. LaVar lost his job because he didn't play through his injury in 2004, didn't work with the team this past offseason to rehab his injury and reportedly doesn't practice hard (unless, of course, Gibbs and Williams are liars).

That's 180 degrees from Rodney, who kept playing through his injury (resulting in his lesser play) and who has been one of the hardest practice players in the NFL over his NFL career.

BTW The reported bone on bone condition in Arrington's knee will get worse, not better, over time.

Boltbaby
10-13-2005, 06:42 PM
"Prime Time"? You must be joking - he's an over the hill, part time player now and besides that he hates Marty.

Yes, I WAS JOKING!
Lighten' up and have a :Beer: on me! :D

SDynasty
10-13-2005, 06:48 PM
I think arrington has an attitude problem. Not the first time this has come about with him. He free lances a bit inside the scheme and that can be costly from a resposibilty stand point.

Nater
10-13-2005, 07:00 PM
The last thing the Chargers need is another awesome LB. Right now, their front seven rank among the best in the league for stopping short passes and clogging run holes. Thats all they need.

The secondary as we all know is a completely different story. Unreliable play, misreads, falling for misdirections, being unresponsive to the motion of the ball in general. Every last one of them is so green that they are indistinguishable from the field in that they get walked all over.

The difference between giving up big plays and forcing the other team to earn them.

SuperCharger_21
10-13-2005, 07:01 PM
I agree with 214SD6. Arrington has a bit of an attitude problem, and those guys just aren't healty on a team, why do you think Minnesota got rid of Moss?

Plus, like JoeMcRugby said, a bone-on-bone condition won't get better over time, it will wear and tear more and more.

Chargeroo
10-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Yes, I WAS JOKING!
Lighten' up and have a :Beer: on me! :D
Good joke, it reeled me in! Right back to you = :Beer:

JoeMcRugby
10-13-2005, 07:39 PM

Not true at all.

LT, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNab, Tom Brady, Mike Vick and Marvin Harrison (a short list of examples) are in no way cancers.

It's not the money, it's the person/personality and their actions that makes them cancerous.

L.T. - 21
10-13-2005, 09:57 PM
maybe they should think of trading fonoti, and get the Redskins Safety, i forget his name though

Podium
10-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Sean Taylor.

That'll NEVER happen though as much as we all want it to. Taylor is a stud. and if memory serves correct the skins are pretty set on the line. Not equal value anyway, not even close.

Chargeroo
10-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Sean Taylor.

That'll NEVER happen though as much as we all want it to. Taylor is a stud. and if memory serves correct the skins are pretty set on the line. Not equal value anyway, not even close.
Besides that Taylor is in trouble with the law and may spend the next couple of seasons is jail. He's a heck of a Safety though.

Boltbaby
10-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Besides that Taylor is in trouble with the law and may spend the next couple of seasons is jail. He's a heck of a Safety though.

What did he do?

Podium
10-13-2005, 10:13 PM
I am PRETTY sure a gun was involved. Somewhere at a Miami club i think.

JoeMcRugby
10-13-2005, 10:18 PM
What did he do?

His trial was delayed until after the season for pulling a gun on a couple of guys that he believed had stolen a couple of all-terrain vehicles from him last spring.

In Florida, it's a mandatory three year sentence for a felony conviction on that charge.

Unfortunately, Taylor hangs around with his homies that he grew up with in Miami in the offseason instead of working out and communicating with insignificant guys like Joe Gibbs until training camp starts.

Clinton Portis called Taylor the "craziest Hurricane in the program's history", which is quite an achievement:

Clinton Portis calls him the craziest Hurricane in program history - quite a distinguished list, that one - and Portis is hardly alone in nominating him. So the surprise isn't that Taylor faces three prison years for trying to solve his problems with gun waving.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/11992329.htm

Podium
10-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Warren Sapp, Clinton Portis, Ray Lewis, "The Rock", Kellen Winslow Jr., Jeremy Shockey, MICHAEL IRVIN, pretty impressive to be "the craziest hurricane" haha. Gotta give Sean Taylor a round of applause. Although I have always been a big fan of his, even back to his Hurricane days.

JoeMcRugby
10-13-2005, 10:29 PM
A balanced view of Taylor from the Washington Post:

Last week, Taylor, 22, had his first telephone conversation with Gibbs in six months. It was arranged by Taylor's agent in the aftermath of Taylor's arrest June 4 on two felony charges of aggravated assault with a firearm and simple battery, the outcome of a dispute over two stolen all-terrain vehicles owned by Taylor. Because of his legal problems, Gibbs excused the 6-foot-2, 231-pound defensive back from the team's three-day minicamp, which will begin Friday at the Redskins' practice facility in Ashburn. Taylor is scheduled to be arraigned next Friday. Taylor, a Miami native who starred at Gulliver Prep High, didn't emerge from his mother's home late last week despite numerous requests for an interview left on his phone or through his parents and representatives. However, one person aware of his whereabouts said that Taylor was staying there and laying low.

Taylor's mother, Donna Junor, ambled in her carefully kept front yard -- enclosed by a five-foot fence -- when a reporter approached the gate. Junor, 43, politely declined an interview and promptly re-entered her home as a dark gray pit bull thrust its paws against the fence while barking loudly.

Taylor has not spoken with the media since before Oct. 28, when he was arrested on charges of driving while intoxicated on the Beltway in Virginia. He was acquitted of those charges in January.

But in interviews, people who know Taylor -- former teammates, friends, educators, neighbors, associates and police officers -- painted a complex picture of the safety who had never lived outside Miami until the Redskins selected him with the fifth overall pick in the 2004 NFL draft. They portrayed Taylor as a good-natured, family-oriented man who has used his status and local celebrity to make appearances in the community, and begun giving donations to organizations for the underprivileged.

Some who know him, however, said Taylor has also shown a stubborn, recalcitrant side, resisting adult guidance -- including from his parents -- while cavorting with sycophants, some with a dark side. "Punks and wannabe thugs," said one former neighbor who declined to give his name.

Almost everyone interviewed expressed surprise at the severity of the charges against Taylor, who had never been charged with a crime in Florida. Nonetheless, some said they felt that it was only a matter of time before Taylor became embroiled in a predicament stemming from his immaturity and association with longtime buddies he feels loyalty toward.

"Sean is not the type of guy everyone is making him out to be. Sean is not a bad guy," said Arizona Cardinals rookie cornerback Antrel Rolle, a former Miami teammate who has known Taylor since they were 6. "Sean has a big heart and a lot of great qualities. But his friend selection is not good. I don't think that most of his friends have any positive influence."

Rolle continued: "You shouldn't change completely just because you become famous. Even after this incident, he shouldn't be restricted. He just should have second thoughts about his decision-making. He just makes the wrong decisions, and doesn't think of the consequences. I don't think some of his friends are man enough to tell him. They're just in his corner whether his decision is right or wrong."

On the afternoon of June 1, according to the police report, Taylor drove his Yukon Denali into West Perrine because he believed two men from the area had stolen his two all-terrain vehicles, each worth about $7,000. Another car with several of Taylor's friends trailed behind, police said.

Police said that Taylor got out of his car and pointed a gun at two individuals while demanding they return his ATVs. According to a person familiar with the investigation who requested anonymity because the case is still at a sensitive stage, an individual from the car trailing Taylor's pointed an AK-47. No shots were fired, and Taylor soon left, they said. Ten minutes later, he returned with more friends, the police report said.

After returning, Taylor got out of the car and hit one of the individuals with his fist while one of Taylor's friends chased another person with a bat, the police report said. Then Taylor and his group again left the scene and drove to a home in the area belonging to one of Taylor's friends. According to officials familiar with the case who requested anonymity, shots were fired into the home and at Taylor's Denali several minutes later. No one was hurt. Police said they are continuing to look into this incident -- no arrests have been made -- and consider it a separate investigation.

Three days later, Taylor turned himself in to Miami-Dade police after police had described him as a "person of interest" in the incident. He was charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm, a felony, and one count of simple battery, a misdemeanor. Accompanied by a lawyer, Fred Moldovan, Taylor paid a bond of $16,500 and was released.

A police official said non-residents are rarely brazen enough to enter West Perrine to commit a crime. However, friends said Taylor was familiar with the neighborhood, having grown up at his father's home less than two miles away.

"Sean is known all over South Florida," Rolle said. "I don't think it's the area that got Sean in trouble. Growing up, it's somewhere he's familiar with. He's going to go there before he goes to Washington. Home is home regardless of it's a bad neighborhood or not."

Two witnesses to the June 1 incident, Xavier Gibbs and Terrance Randolph, each 21, said that they knew Taylor casually from when they played football at Palmetto High School. Gibbs and Randolph were advised by their lawyers not to discuss the case, they said. "What's the profit for me?" Gibbs said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/16/AR2005061601302.html?nav=hcmodule

JoeMcRugby
10-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Part II of the Washington Post article:

Rocky First Year

Taylor made quite an impact in his first NFL season, using ball-hawking skills and a mean streak to rattle opposing receivers. He added to his aura by inserting sparkling gold false teeth before games. Although his play was at times undisciplined, Taylor emerged as one of the NFL's best rookies and among the league's top safeties. He was voted a first alternate to the Pro Bowl, the second-best showing among Redskins players.

Still, Taylor generated several negative headlines for situations off the field. He hired and fired agents and was fined $25,000 for leaving a mandatory NFL rookie symposium early. He missed the bulk of the Redskins' voluntary offseason workouts last year. Once the season began, the league fined him nearly $20,000 for personal fouls and for violating NFL uniform rules during games.

Friends say Taylor felt picked on by the media during his rookie year, and targeted by the NFL. One associate, who requested anonymity because he wasn't sure how Taylor would interpret his comments, recalled Taylor saying, "They can't break me." Taylor has a tattoo on his right biceps with the words, "Steel Standing."

After the season, Taylor and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said they wanted to renegotiate the seven-year, $18 million contract Taylor had signed before the 2004 season, feeling his rookie deal, which with incentives is potentially worth $40 million, did not have enough guaranteed money. People close to Taylor say the contract dispute was not the reason for his decision to skip all of the team's voluntary workouts this offseason -- he was the only member of the team with an unexcused absence. He told friends that Rosenhaus assured him that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder would be willing to offer him an improved contract.

While Taylor -- the second oldest of four children -- struggled last year adjusting to aspects of his new life in Washington such as the cold winter weather, his main qualm about life in the D.C. area was not being able to see his parents and his buddies back in South Florida.

So when the season ended, Taylor returned home.

Looking Back

Although Taylor's parents split up shortly after his birth, he remains close to both. "My parents weren't together after I was born," Taylor said in an interview last year, "but they've always been there for me."

Friends said that Taylor still loves home-cooked meals, and attributes his size to eating his great-grandmother's cornmeal during summer visits. Taylor has a large extended family in the area, friends said, that has increased recently as some cousins moved here from Georgia.

Although Taylor frequents popular clubs at Miami Beach and Ocean Beach, one friend said that Taylor also occasionally enjoys the solitude of fishing for snappers, bluefish and other saltwater fish.

Residents of Taylor's neighborhood from his high school years -- where his father and stepmother still live in a one-story, yellow home -- said that he occasionally drops by, and is quick to offer a helping hand. The working-class area has tree-lined streets with one- and two-story homes near a park with basketball and tennis courts.

Sean Martin, a teenager, moved into the neighborhood from Brooklyn about two months ago to live with his cousin Marc Spencer, 11, and his aunt. Soon after arriving, Martin said he met Taylor when the safety was tending to his car across the street.

"I was like, 'Wow,' " Martin recalled last week, standing outside his home. "He seemed like a nice guy. My aunt had some groceries. And he saw her and came over to give her a hug and then helped us take the stuff inside. I heard about the [June 1] incident, and I was kind of surprised."

In late April, Taylor made an impromptu appearance at Gulliver Prep Middle School -- located in an affluent neighborhood -- and spent both 45-minute lunch periods signing autographs for fifth- through eighth-graders.

"He was great. He just sat there and signed for all the kids," recalled Mark Schusterman, the athletic director. "Then he walked throughout the school and did neat stuff like that."

Taylor graduated from nearby Gulliver Prep High -- an exclusive private school on a picturesque 13-acre campus. After returning to the area in January, Taylor occasionally appeared at the school to watch his brother Joe, a senior forward on the basketball team, play. Their father coaches football part-time in the afternoon.

Adorning the wall of the athletic director's office is an oversized frame of a newspaper article with the headline: "Historic Win by Gulliver." The bank headline reads: "Taylor (3 TDs) leads Raiders to the Title." Taylor is pictured clutching the ball with his right hand, leaping over a pile of burly bodies while a defender tries to tackle him. In the fall of 2000, Taylor led Gulliver Prep to the state championship with a state-record 44 touchdowns.

"When Sean came to us, he was a great athlete and a student willing to put effort in the classroom," said Chuck Tobey, the school's athletic director.

Taylor also played basketball at Gulliver.

"His dad, being a police officer, understood the importance of education, and kept Sean focused," Tobey said. "Sean was very respectful. He was a competitor on the field, but he was a pretty quiet kid, friendly. That's why the incident is rather surprising."

Added Schusterman: "The people in Washington should understand that this guy will work out. We all make mistakes. Have I done stupid things when I was young? Yes. And I probably still do today. Just because somebody gives you money doesn't mean all of a sudden you're perfectly mature.

"When you get in a position like him, it's not so much that he might hang around with the wrong crowd. It's that they stay attached to him. It's not as easy to let that go as you think."

Staff researcher Julie Tate contributed to this report.

Boltbaby
10-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Hmmm...sounds like someone we would would want to take a pass on.

Arky
10-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Arrington is one of the greatest athletes in the NFL, but has had a problem going all out at practice at times - and this goes back to his HS and college days - which invariably gets him in the coaches dog house. If you can find a way to keep him happy without alienating other players, he could help just about any team in the league. Not easy to do. Plus missing practices or running thru them at half speed leaves him open to mental mistakes on game day that can kill you. He'll make a hard-to-believe, SUPER play followed by a completely boneheaded one. I think, contrary to the insinuations I've heard that he isn't bright enough, that he has a concentration problem. Just my guess. He's not a bad guy either. He says all the right things about team first, etc. It's a shame if he doesn't get it together and be the player he could be.

TBOLTZCALI
10-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Warren Sapp, Clinton Portis, Ray Lewis, "The Rock", Kellen Winslow Jr., Jeremy Shockey, MICHAEL IRVIN, pretty impressive to be "the craziest hurricane" haha. Gotta give Sean Taylor a round of applause. Although I have always been a big fan of his, even back to his Hurricane days.

how bout someone make an "all pro criminal team". that should be interesting.

Chargeroo
10-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Conversely, some people think that whatever a player asks for the team should give it up.

TBOLTZCALI
10-14-2005, 12:01 AM
i would pay for talent...i would of paid T.O or Randy.

bigmack2141
10-14-2005, 04:41 AM
look, im a bolts fan who is forced to live out here in the DC area... WE DO NOT want LaVar. HE only cares about himself, and the main reason he is not playing is because he does not want to be a part of Washingtons Defensive scheme. He is overpaid, lazy, and makes maybe one or two big plays a game, while he lets up at least 3. Lets keep our LBs as they are

dffl31
10-14-2005, 06:10 AM
Hey Bigmac, where are you from? I live in Maryland, outside of D.C...and I am a huge Dallas fan. I do agree with your assesment on Lavar. The last team that would need Lavar is The Chargers, ya'lls LB's are AWESOME!!! Number one being my boy Shawne......mans a monster!!!!

Marty

Totally Bolted
10-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Arrington is one of the greatest athletes in the NFL, but has had a problem going all out at practice at times - and this goes back to his HS and college days - which invariably gets him in the coaches dog house. If you can find a way to keep him happy without alienating other players, he could help just about any team in the league. Not easy to do. Plus missing practices or running thru them at half speed leaves him open to mental mistakes on game day that can kill you. He'll make a hard-to-believe, SUPER play followed by a completely boneheaded one. I think, contrary to the insinuations I've heard that he isn't bright enough, that he has a concentration problem. Just my guess. He's not a bad guy either. He says all the right things about team first, etc. It's a shame if he doesn't get it together and be the player he could be.

I think the players should be the ones to fire him up. If he runs half speed hit him harder. Throw in a few cheap shots. He'll get the message. It's not about anger it's about motivation. If other players, are constantly on him to get moving, encouraging him and then knocking him around a few times he'll either improve or move on. It's a win win. Personally I think the Chargers don't need him.

pete1k
10-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Don't want him. If he can't start in D.C., he surely won't start here!

SuperBowlBolts
10-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Don't want him. If he can't start in D.C., he surely won't start here!
Yah, considering Washington has a better D then us. I wouldn't mind bringing him in next year to fill in Godfrey :( why do u have to retire???? Thats if he plays every play like his last. But i wouldn't mind drafting one in this years draft and have him groomed by Edwards :)

cooperfan54
10-17-2005, 08:38 AM
drangus said "in a perfect world it would happen--I personally like cooper and wilhem-but just like moreno and polk-they are not everydown starter material--when godfrey goes we will bring someone else in-wheter it is through the draft or FA I don't know-but it is going to happen"

drangus you wrong, in tsn this preseason the chargers said they are grooming cooper to take over godfrey's spot as starter.

if not hopefuly he leaves s.d. because he could start for teams now in the nfl.

wikimama
01-21-2006, 02:06 PM
If the Bolts can get this guy i would be so excited, he is truly a playmaker. Lavar is known for making tackles behind the line and absolutly laying guys out. I hope he would be willing to move inside so they can keep Foley as a starter. If they traded for him i think it would take like a 4th rounder to get him.

Bolts 2006 LBs

ILB Donnie Edwards
ILB-OLB Lavar Arrington
ILB Steve Cooper(I Hope they resign him!)
OLB Shawne Merriman
OLB Steve Foley
OLB Shaun Phillps
This would improve the best rush defense team tremendously and will bring a Super Bowl to San Diego in 06!

wikimama
01-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Lavar will wear 51 on the Bolts because Merriman has his 56 and he wore 11 at Penn State. Order them today!

JtBoY20
01-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Well actually Ben Leber is #51. The Chargers don't necessarily need LaVar they have a pretty good set of line backers

SDFaiderHater
01-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Very Intersting Charger History Ending Soon...Check It Out:
Lavar Arrington on picture of ticket

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8751889436&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8751889436&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1)

according to this guy we were named after a credit card.

TrabucoWR
01-21-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm not sure I want Arrington, I want to see Leber stick a round longer, he's great against the run.

SuperBowlBolts
01-21-2006, 02:47 PM
If the Bolts can get this guy i would be so excited, he is truly a playmaker. Lavar is known for making tackles behind the line and absolutly laying guys out. I hope he would be willing to move inside so they can keep Foley as a starter. If they traded for him i think it would take like a 4th rounder to get him.

Bolts 2006 LBs

ILB Donnie Edwards
ILB-OLB Lavar Arrington
ILB Steve Cooper(I Hope they resign him!)
OLB Shawne Merriman
OLB Steve Foley
OLB Shaun Phillps
This would improve the best rush defense team tremendously and will bring a Super Bowl to San Diego in 06!
bringing in him wont give us a Superbowl. Our o-line is the main concern. Defense we need a new SS and a new ILB. Our o-line just plain out is horrible.

canadianfan_51
01-21-2006, 02:57 PM
I agree that we don't necessarily need LaVar, but I think he could be a great addition to an already outstanding set of linebackers. LaVar is a proven pro bowl calibur linebacker, and if it only cost a fourth rounder that would be a steal. But obviously fix the o-line first before anything else.

Podium
01-21-2006, 03:17 PM
I agree that we don't necessarily need LaVar, but I think he could be a great addition to an already outstanding set of linebackers. LaVar is a proven pro bowl calibur linebacker, and if it only cost a fourth rounder that would be a steal. But obviously fix the o-line first before anything else.

If it costs us a 4th rounder that means we take on his contract, which is not pretty. The only way I see Lavar in a Charger uniform next year is if he is cut and takes a reasonable pay cut

hambone
01-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Lavar probably wouldnt play ILB he's better at OLB and he's a better OLB then foley so i'd see foley getting switched before lavar

Spank
01-21-2006, 04:44 PM
There is more to this guy than outsiders may know. He is an ego maniac. I get see alot of his face during tv interviews and he's on the radio once a week with former Georgetown Hoya's head coach John Thompson. (SportsTalk980.com, everyday from 3pm to 6pm EST)

He's playing on one knee essentially. Most may not recall this but he missed almost all of the past 2 seasons because of knee probelms. He may very well become a great ILB but his days of being a impact OLB are over. I know he may still be able to make plays at OLB but not like when he was a newbie in the NFL.

"IF" the 'Skins deal him it will cost them 12.5 million against next years cap. It is in their best interest to restructure his contract and try and keep at a reduced rate. Its possible they could restructure and then deal him but really makes no sense. After they reduce his pay its much smarter to keep him on the roster than to go through all the work and then let someone else have him. He is due an 6.5 million roster bonus in a few months and I am sure the problem will be fixed by then. The Bolts have the best front 7 in the league and I dont see a reason to tamper with that. Maybe "IF" Godfrey retires but outside of that LaVar may be more trouble than he is worth. Also he was the #2 pick overall in the draft, there is no way Snyder lets him go for a 4th rounder. Thats insane. He is not that hated in the organization.

Dago81Sd
01-21-2006, 05:03 PM
I'd love to see Lavar in a Chargers uniform, however, Godfrey will most likely return which would enable the Chargers to adress far greater needs at O-line and the secondary, more specifically, strong safety.

LTfan4life
01-21-2006, 07:03 PM
I think LaVar would love to play in SD because he and Shawne are very close friends. He would also love to have a shot at a ring ASAP, and that will factor into his decision. Joe Gibbs wouldn't play him because he didn't fit their type of 4-3 Defense. If I'm not mistaken, LaVar is one of the highest paid linebackers in the league, and I just don't see him coming to town unless he takes a pretty big paycut, which I don't see him doing. As I see it, SD could be one of his top picks if he is released.

stevge88
01-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Ravens | McAlister might not be with team for 2006 season
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 09:05:15 -0800

Mike Preston, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens head coach Brian Billick recently warned team officials that CB Chris McAlister might not be with the team for the 2006 season. McAlister has five years left on his contract worth $36 million. He received a $10 million signing bonus in October of 2004 and another $7.5 million during the spring of 2005.

What do you guys think about McAlister with the Chargers?

Podium
01-21-2006, 09:46 PM

Mike Preston, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens head coach Brian Billick recently warned team officials that CB Chris McAlister might not be with the team for the 2006 season. McAlister has five years left on his contract worth $36 million. He received a $10 million signing bonus in October of 2004 and another $7.5 million during the spring of 2005.

I don't totally understand it. Is it a cap problem is does Billick have issues with McCalister? If Billick is warning team officials you would think it would have to do with issues about McCalister and not his contract. Kinda makes you wonder what it means.

HeadTrip
01-21-2006, 09:46 PM

That would be a great upgrade over Florance. I don't really think AJ is looking heavily at CBs, but it would be nice.

BoltsfanNYC
01-21-2006, 09:52 PM
UM... keeps idiots out of the locker room... IE T.O. lavar... I want team guys... our LBS are very good.. we have a lot of high picks in the draft... and a lot of cap space... Lets sign a guy draft a guy and roll I think god wil be back for 2 more years...

Podium
01-21-2006, 10:03 PM
UM... keeps idiots out of the locker room... IE T.O. lavar... I want team guys... our LBS are very good.. we have a lot of high picks in the draft... and a lot of cap space... Lets sign a guy draft a guy and roll I think god wil be back for 2 more years...

God wears a lightning bolt? Glad to know he's on our side.

haha jk:p

Dago81Sd
01-21-2006, 10:29 PM
After this brutal year we might need "God" to wear a lighting bolt...

SDFaiderHater
01-21-2006, 11:56 PM

i saw LaVar on ESPN in an interview, and he seemed to be pretty humble, saying it was his fault that he wasnt playing, and that he was doing everything that he could to get back on the roster, and a short time later he was put back on there. he may not be a LT, but he is far from TO. IMO terrel owens is in a class of his own when it comes to a cancer.

SuperBowlBolts
01-22-2006, 12:01 AM
i saw LaVar on ESPN in an interview, and he seemed to be pretty humble, saying it was his fault that he wasnt playing, and that he was doing everything that he could to get back on the roster, and a short time later he was put back on there. he may not be a LT, but he is far from TO. IMO terrel owens is in a class of his own when it comes to a cancer.
yah, i for one think he'll change his mind if he comes here seeing merriman play.

LTfan4life
01-22-2006, 12:07 AM
according to this guy we were named after a credit card.

Actually...we were. Hilton, the guy who founded the team in L.A., named his football team the Chargers, after he introducted his "charge" card back in the late 50s-early 60s.

SDFaiderHater
01-22-2006, 02:25 AM
Actually...we were. Hilton, the guy who founded the team in L.A., named his football team the Chargers, after he introducted his "charge" card back in the late 50s-early 60s.

still erks me that we have ties to paris Hilton....*gag.

rubbermusic
01-22-2006, 02:56 AM
still erks me that we have ties to paris Hilton....*gag.

Correction...she has ties to us. We were around over 20 years before that waste of skin.

Most already know but for those who didn't here's a little piece of trivia...we have ties to our most hated rival too. Al Davis Was an Offensive coach for the Los Angeles Chargers from 1960-1962 before he became Head Coach of the Raiders in 1963.

Onion Knight
01-22-2006, 08:29 AM
http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20051004-120228-2603r.htm

What a great idea; Chargers should load up with linebackers, considering they are so thin at that position. Offensive line and secondary are solid so once this void at the linebacker postion is filled, Consider the superbowl won! hahahahaa:p

LTfan4life
01-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Correction...she has ties to us. We were around over 20 years before that waste of skin.

Most already know but for those who didn't here's a little piece of trivia...we have ties to our most hated rival too. Al Davis Was an Offensive coach for the Los Angeles Chargers from 1960-1962 before he became Head Coach of the Raiders in 1963.

Sad but true...see what happens when you switch to the every day is halloween day side? Hopefully Cam doesn't go to jokeland.

sdjase
01-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Is this LaVar rumor still active?

He's pretty over the hill and at this point I don't really see the need anyway.

I don't see it happening.

AFLChargers
01-22-2006, 08:59 AM

No, we were not. That is just a rumor. We were named through a name-the-team contest that was run in the Los Angeles Times. The name was submitted in the contect. Hilton liked the name because the fans yelled "Charge" at the USC games, which were played in the LA Coliseum, which is where the LA Chargers played as well.

esacal
01-23-2006, 07:59 AM
To all this i respond:
AMEN

SuperMatt
01-23-2006, 11:16 AM
What a great idea; Chargers should load up with linebackers, considering they are so thin at that position. Offensive line and secondary are solid so once this void at the linebacker postion is filled, Consider the superbowl won! hahahahaa:p

Signin a FA doesn't really impact your draft picks and the funny thing about depth is that you always can use more of it. I think LaVar might be just what the doctor ordered if we need someone to step in for Godfrey (though my feeling is that he'll be back another year).

If things were to work out and we were able to sign Arrington as a FA for a reasonable salary, we'd be stupid not to bring him in.

TBOLTZCALI
01-23-2006, 12:13 PM
IF--he is willing to renegotiate his contract--IF--he is willing to take over godfreys spot on the inside--IF--he is willing to defer to the established leaders on this defense

too many IFs it ain't gonna happen :D

according to the article marty likes this guy-I just don't see us giving the redskins anything for this guy-I mean we'd be doing them a favor like when the dolphins took bostons' contract off of our hands

in a perfect world it would happen--I personally like cooper and wilhem-but just like moreno and polk-they are not everydown starter material--when godfrey goes we will bring someone else in-wheter it is through the draft or FA I don't know-but it is going to happen :)

just gunna say that, if if if, he can take over donnie's position. Edwards might have 1-2 years left.

LightningStorm
01-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Lavar becoming a charger.With shawn merriman and Lavar good friends and Marty coaching him while he was in washington and rumors that godfrey might retire there might be some truth to it. If anyone has anything let me know thanks

lightningstrike14
01-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Here is a whole thread devoted to that rumor.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=25018&highlight=lavar+arrington

LightningStorm
01-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks. I guess nothing recent though

BoltsfanNYC
01-27-2006, 08:11 PM
look godfrey is due mil reasons why he will go on vacation... come home and come back to work next season.. I predict he plays 2 more atleast!

foty89
01-28-2006, 03:30 AM
There is more to this guy than outsiders may know. He is an ego maniac. I get see alot of his face during tv interviews and he's on the radio once a week with former Georgetown Hoya's head coach John Thompson. (SportsTalk980.com, everyday from 3pm to 6pm EST)

He's playing on one knee essentially. Most may not recall this but he missed almost all of the past 2 seasons because of knee probelms. He may very well become a great ILB but his days of being a impact OLB are over. I know he may still be able to make plays at OLB but not like when he was a newbie in the NFL.

"IF" the 'Skins deal him it will cost them 12.5 million against next years cap. It is in their best interest to restructure his contract and try and keep at a reduced rate. Its possible they could restructure and then deal him but really makes no sense. After they reduce his pay its much smarter to keep him on the roster than to go through all the work and then let someone else have him. He is due an 6.5 million roster bonus in a few months and I am sure the problem will be fixed by then. The Bolts have the best front 7 in the league and I dont see a reason to tamper with that. Maybe "IF" Godfrey retires but outside of that LaVar may be more trouble than he is worth. Also he was the #2 pick overall in the draft, there is no way Snyder lets him go for a 4th rounder. Thats insane. He is not that hated in the organization.

This is likely the best post on the subject in the entire thread.

There are certain players who I just get bad feelings about, and LaVar is one of them.

It is true that he seemed very humble, but how long did it take him to get that way? He had to get benched before he would listen to his coach, that is not the kind of player you want on your team, or that the Chargers would pick up.

Just say no to this bad idea.

Go Bolts!
:Bolt: :Bolt: :Bolt:

chargertom
01-28-2006, 06:56 AM
You get a guy like Lavar that is disgruntled ... and he can have a bad influence on teammates. I'm worried that you bring this guy in, and since he and Shawne are old friends, he gets further into Shawne's head. Becomes his role model and mentor. Do we want that? Maybe he starts telling him how he could have things better. Inflluence him to make bad decisions, demands, etc.

Since they're friends from back on the block .. I say keep him as far away from Shawne as possible. They can hang out during the off season.

Go Chargers! :Bolt:

LightningStorm
01-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Okay I see. Thats what I wanted to know hope he stays in wash or somewhere else don't want him here. I hope Godfrey comes back I like the guy a lot plus what happen to his sister is terrible.

BoltPrideSD
01-28-2006, 01:40 PM
We don't really need Arrington, though it would be nice to see Merriman and Arrington playing on the same team wrecking havoc opposite of eachother. Their energy would feed off oneanother. Even if we were to get Arrington, there's still ways to get all our talented LBs in on the action of course through various packages and subbing, imagine the possibilities.

But, what we really need to find is a good young Safety that can do it all, like a Troy Palomalu.

I hope SD looks for some good veteran help in the Secondary instead or maybe considers it in the draft because we are pretty much set at Linebacker. Our front 7 isn't the problem, it's our secondary. May GOD send us back Rodney Harrison.

BlueandGoldRush
03-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Redskins | Arrington released
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:59:30 -0800

ESPNews reports the Washington Redskins have released LB LaVar Arrington due to salary cap constraints.

Podium
03-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Now if he wants to play for a very low salary... very low... we send Mr. Merriman on a recruiting trip.

very low..

SDFaiderHater
03-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Now if he wants to play for a very low salary... very low... we send Mr. Merriman on a recruiting trip.

very low..

even though OLB is really low on our priority list, Arrington would be an upgrade... and as far as im concerned, he doesnt look like a cancer, as some of the media liked to paint him as.

bolts4ever21
03-05-2006, 10:18 PM
His intensity would be a nice fit here. But yes, only for a low price. Incentive based. But he is probably worty good money. Because when he gets to play, he has played well.

SinCityBoltFan
03-05-2006, 10:26 PM
i couldnt find the news. is there a link that you could give me. I was just at espn.com and could not find it.

BlueandGoldRush
03-05-2006, 10:37 PM
i couldnt find the news. is there a link that you could give me. I was just at espn.com and could not find it.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15697

There ya go...

mikeavo22
03-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Would be great to have him for the right price.

=)

mattmc223
03-05-2006, 11:31 PM
I think it would be really cool if we got him.

IgorUnchained
03-05-2006, 11:47 PM
even though OLB is really low on our priority list, Arrington would be an upgrade... and as far as im concerned, he doesnt look like a cancer, as some of the media liked to paint him as.

I think Arrington would be a great ILB for this team, and that is a need position. I am with Podium that he would have to take a cut in salary, but since he didnt put up very good numbers this last season (he was benched) Im sure he isnt going to get his "full value" out of any team.

My main problem with Arrington isnt money, it is his management. Arrington is managed by the Postons...the same folks who brought you the Merriman hold-out. If Arrington keeps a leash on his agents and wants to come to San Diego to be a team player, I would give him a look.

SuperBowlBolts
03-05-2006, 11:54 PM
I think Arrington would be a great ILB for this team, and that is a need position. I am with Podium that he would have to take a cut in salary, but since he didnt put up very good numbers this last season (he was benched) Im sure he isnt going to get his "full value" out of any team.

My main problem with Arrington isnt money, it is his management. Arrington is managed by the Postons...the same folks who brought you the Merriman hold-out. If Arrington keeps a leash on his agents and wants to come to San Diego to be a team player, I would give him a look.
Agreed. So Merriman how about getting us a discount?

mattmc223
03-06-2006, 12:17 AM

Yea, we could use him to spell Godfrey.

SuperMatt
03-06-2006, 01:23 AM
This is a FA pick up I could see happening. I don't think that it's a shoe-in that we're interested in LaVar, but he's an amazing talent and his link to Merriman, along with our age at ILB would prolly put us at the top of the "expected interest" list on him.

The-Beast
03-06-2006, 05:23 AM
he supposedly paid the redskins 4 million to get out of the contract

D_Clark23
03-06-2006, 05:56 AM
I think we should definetely try and get lawyer milloy whom was just released by the bills, he's a ballhawk safety who is a veteran which we need for our young secondary. Also we should try and get lavar arrington because he is a great linebaker in which we needd deth when randal godfrey is about to retire next year and he would give us another hard hitting linebacker on the oppisite side of Shawn Merrimen. In the draft we should try and get Antonio Cartomine out of florida State, he is a great corner back with rare size and speed and would fit in just nice and give our corners some competition. Email me back on what you think about this aquisitions.

drangus
03-06-2006, 06:13 AM
very interesting. I don't think we need isaac bruce, he's too old. Im suprised the redskins let arrington go

why surprised? the arrington cut had been rumored for a very long time

Totally Bolted
03-06-2006, 06:17 AM
why surprised? the arrington cut had been rumored for a very long time

Not only that, but there was bad blood created last year. Hope he doesn't end up on any of the other AFC west teams.

realpinoy1
03-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Not only that, but there was bad blood created last year. Hope he doesn't end up on any of the other AFC west teams.

I hope he's on a AFC west team! Like our team! It would be sick as hell to see Arrington and Merriman side by side. I'm just wondering when we are going to sign any free agents. Hurry up AJ!

JCDavey
03-06-2006, 08:37 AM
And no, we don't need them....Well maybe Bruce...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060306/news_1s6nflnotes.html

NFL Most Valuable Player Shaun Alexander has agreed to a $62 million, eight-year contract to remain with the Seattle Seahawks, his agent said last night.

Jim Steiner said the deal is the richest ever for an NFL running back and will pay the league's leading rusher over $15.1 million in guaranteed cash, through signing and other bonuses and 2006 base salary.

Advertisement

Steiner told The Associated Press of the signing in a telephone interview, minutes after the NFL pushed back the start of the free-agent signing period 72 hours to Thursday.

The league still must approve the contract, and Alexander has yet to sign it.

The team is waiting for the contract to become official before announcing the deal, though a media conference at team headquarters could come as early as this afternoon.

“They definitely wanted to do this,” Steiner said of the Seahawks bringing back Alexander, who set an NFL record with 28 touchdowns last season. “And Seattle was Shaun's first choice all along.”

Raiders cut QB Collins?
The Oakland Raiders parted ways with quarterback Kerry Collins in a move to get them below the salary cap by last night's on-again, off-again deadline, The Associated Press reported. He would count $9.2 million against the cap.
However, Raiders senior personnel executive Michael Lombardi and Collins' agent, David Dunn, denied the report after the deadline was put off again, and told the Contra Costa Times that Collins remains signed through 2009.

Jets retain Pennington
Quarterback Chad Pennington will stay with the New York Jets after agreeing to a restructured contract that will provide the team with needed salary cap relief.
The Jets also extended the contract of offensive lineman Pete Kendall and cut 35-year-old center Kevin Mawae, a longtime fixture in their offensive line.

Pack, Green reach deal
The Green Bay Packers reached agreement on a one-year contract with running back Ahman Green, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported on its Web site, citing an unnamed NFL source.
Though Green was insistent on a multiyear deal, he accepted a one-year contract that will pay him a base salary of around $2 million and features $3 million more in incentives.

Arrington bought out
The Washington Redskins parted ways with three-time Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington, who agreed to a contract buyout so that he could become a free agent, The Associated Press reported.
Arrington agreed to give up more than $4 million in his contract rather than restructure it in a way that would allow him to remain with the Redskins, an official with knowledge of the transaction told the AP on condition of anonymity.

K.C. Super in 2015?
Commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced that Kansas City would host the 2015 Super Bowl if voters approve a tax to renovate Arrowhead Stadium.
Tagliabue said late last year that Kansas City would get a Super Bowl if the renovations were made and if a rolling roof was built to make the stadium climate-controlled. Yesterday, he said the owners had voted to make Kansas City the site of the 2015 Super Bowl if the stadium is renovated.

Around the league
RAMS: Cut wide receiver Isaac Bruce after failing to come to terms with him on a contract extension.
BUCS: Linebacker Derrick Brooks agreed to rework his contract to stay with the club.

since arrington is merriman's mentor and friend, i would not be opposed to bringing him in, but it would have to not hurt our cap # and it would have to be after our base needs are addressed

here is the NFL TODAY clip regarding merriman and arrington's relationship - http://media.putfile.com/merrington

RIPgriggs
03-06-2006, 10:03 AM
since arrington is merriman's mentor and friend, i would not be opposed to bringing him in, but it would have to not hurt our cap # and it would have to be after our base needs are addressed

here is the NFL TODAY clip regarding merriman and arrington's relationship - http://media.putfile.com/merrington

THANK YOU! for that link to that clip, my brother has been wantning to see that. got anymore links?

JCDavey
03-06-2006, 10:21 AM
THANK YOU! for that link to that clip, my brother has been wantning to see that. got anymore links?

http://forums.chargers.com/showpost.php?p=1014124&postcount=7

SD Chargers Fan
03-06-2006, 10:22 AM
I dont think we really need him. He would be nice to have, but we have a good linebacker core already. We should spend our money on positions we need such as the secondary and the line.

TBOLTZCALI
03-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Our defense would be so improved with Lavar!!!

Phillips-->Foley-->Arrington-->Merriman
Castillo-->Williams-->Olshansky

Hows that for a starting 7?

I know Foley doesnt want to play inside but geezuz, look at this line up. And we have Godfrey and Edwards along with coop and wihelm? Talk about stacked.....but will it happen. Im sure they would let loose Godfrey if this was the case. Sign Issac Bruce to go with our WR

Jackson X X X X X Gates Parker/Osgood Kmac
PR

Neal
L.T

Pick up a OL and grab a young safety in the draft. Super Bowl here we go.

Podium
03-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Our defense would be so improved with Lavar!!!

Phillips-->Foley-->Arrington-->Merriman
Castillo-->Williams-->Olshansky

Hows that for a starting 7?

I know Foley doesnt want to play inside but geezuz, look at this line up. And we have Godfrey and Edwards along with coop and wihelm? Talk about stacked.....but will it happen. Im sure they would let loose Godfrey if this was the case. Sign Issac Bruce to go with our WR

Jackson X X X X X Gates Parker/Osgood Kmac
PR

Neal
L.T

Pick up a OL and grab a young safety in the draft. Super Bowl here we go.

To add to your post TBOLTZ, cutting Godfrey would save us 2M against the cap. That's a lot to play around with. Might be something that the Chargers will look into.

CBO
03-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Don't foget that Marty was his coach and they got along well. I dont know what possition he would play but he is a great player and I would not mind having the additional tallent on the roster.

Foley Arrington Edwards Merriman
Castillo Williams Igor

and have Phillips, Wilhelm, Cooper, Godfrey on the bench.

TBOLTZCALI
03-06-2006, 12:56 PM
I would hate to cut loose Godfrey, just because hes a great guy, and all. But I guess this is where its a business. We would have a stellar lineup.

Boltfan56
03-06-2006, 01:02 PM
What about the fact he only had 47 tackles? He is a good athlete but I agree with some of the others about his "team" attitude.

CBO
03-06-2006, 01:03 PM
I would not cut Godfrey besides I am sure they advised him they would not release him wich probably helpped his descision not to retire.

JoeMcRugby
03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
To add to your post TBOLTZ, cutting Godfrey would save us 2M against the cap. That's a lot to play around with. Might be something that the Chargers will look into.

Where did you get that number, Podium?

My math shows that the Chargers will save $1.4 million by cutting Godfrey.

Cutting Edwards, on the other hand, would save about $2.5 million against the cap.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bdave/id24.html

TBOLTZCALI
03-06-2006, 01:12 PM
I can see them parting ways with both Edwards and Godfrey, bring in Lavar. But more likely Godfrey would be the one leaving. Edwards could be used on passing downs.

TCUFAN5
03-06-2006, 01:13 PM
i dont see him in a chargers uniform even though it would be good. but i think with good coaching he could get back to his pro bowl form

Podium
03-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Where did you get that number, Podium?

My math shows that the Chargers will save $1.4 million by cutting Godfrey.

Cutting Edwards, on the other hand, would save about $2.5 million against the cap.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bdave/id24.html

I got it from ESPN Joe.

LB Randall Godfrey (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3553) $2,500,000 $1,900,000

(first number is "cap number" second is "cap savings")

Looks like they've adjusted it to 1.9M, they could be wrong though.

Here's the link
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2341755

TBOLTZCALI
03-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Would we save anything if edwards was to walk? whats his status?

Podium
03-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Would we save anything if edwards was to walk? whats his status?

walk? what do you mean walk? like just hold out?

If we cut him it's 2.5M as joe reported.

TBOLTZCALI
03-06-2006, 01:23 PM
yeah that too!!

56lightsout56
03-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Dont forget, Lavar's agents are the Poston Brothers, think that may be a factor in any negotiations with AJ ????? although Merriman's eventually turned out ok.

psychofan
03-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Lavar is getting older but he still has a few solid years of football left in him. Sign him stick him on the inside with Donnie and we won't have to worry about any 100 yard rushing games by anybody.

Podium
03-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Lavar is getting older but he still has a few solid years of football left in him. Sign him stick him on the inside with Donnie and we won't have to worry about any 100 yard rushing games by anybody.

Do we ever really worry about 100 yard rushing games by the opponent?:p

psychofan
03-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Do we ever really worry about 100 yard rushing games by the opponent?:p

You got a good point there.

JoeMcRugby
03-06-2006, 02:59 PM
i dont see him in a chargers uniform even though it would be good. but i think with good coaching he could get back to his pro bowl form

With good coaching? :confused:

He had the best defensive coaching in the NFL in 2005 playing under the Skins' defensive coordinator/assistant head coach Gregg Williams

Dojo
03-06-2006, 03:21 PM
the real question is what number should he be? We only have 1 56! :p

robsweetin
03-06-2006, 03:31 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2006/03/02/DI2006030201265.html

From today's Chat House:

Washington, D.C.: Now that Lavar Arrington is/will be a free agent, what are his chances somewhere else??

Michael Wilbon: Chances of what, playing? Uhhh, 100 percent. I hope he goes to a contender in the NFC so that we get to see him play against the Redskins. I like LaVar. I think 90 percent of his problems were the result of organizational screw ups. I've gone into detail probably two dozen times over the years in Chat House discussions as to how many positions coaches and head coaches Arrington has had to play for, how they all ask him to do different things, and how the club's dysfunction before Joe Gibbs' arrival was awful for a young player coming into the league. I hope LaVar finds a coaching staff that wants exactly what he has to offer.

-----

Interesting take on Arrington. I think he would be a great fit. However the money might be better spent elsewhere.

Also, Marty coached Arrington for one season in 2001.

TheIceCreamMan
03-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Lavar Arrington is onl 27 (in his prime) great linebacker....

I wuld love to have him here, we have the money and everything.... now lets see if AJ can get it done

bolts4ever21
03-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Yeah I am all for this. Anytime you can bring in someone who has that kind of fire, you do it. The fact the he is Merrimans big brother (not real brother) and they have talked about playing together... just makes me happy. That would be a nice fit here. Being only 27 isn't too bad either.

Boltz2175
03-06-2006, 05:42 PM
I heard that he wanted Schottenheimer as his coach

bolts4ever21
03-06-2006, 05:44 PM
I heard that he wanted Schottenheimer as his coach

Where did you hear this? I hope he wants to, and I hope he will.

rubbermusic
03-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Arrington gave up 4 million to become a free agent. We probably won't get him cheap if we go for him. He also said he would like to play for a NFC East team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2355921

bolts4ever21
03-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Only so he can play against the Redskins. I hope he has called Merriman and talked about coming here. I know LB isn't the most pressing need we need to fill, but it would be a great addition to an already strong front 7.

CBO
03-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Since the Rams just signed Glover I hope we make a move quick on Arrington. He is the best LB on the market.

TBOLTZCALI
03-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Im thinking he goes to the cowboys, nguyen just retired so there might be an opening. but hopefully he can join forces with Merriman and wreck havoc in the west!!!

Little Big Man
03-06-2006, 06:32 PM
i would sign him regardless of talent or age because (as posted before) he is a "big brother" to shawne and i think if you play the game you love with someone you enjoy playing with you become a better player and u feel like its more than a way of making a living.

drangus
03-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Don't foget that Marty was his coach and they got along well. I dont know what possition he would play but he is a great player and I would not mind having the additional tallent on the roster.

Foley Arrington Edwards Merriman
Castillo Williams Igor

and have Phillips, Wilhelm, Cooper, Godfrey on the bench.

interesting---I would only make one modification to your starting seven

foley, arrington, edwards, merriman

castillo, williams, pryce

and have igor and cesaire as top reserves! talk about depth

Mikkel
03-07-2006, 03:15 AM
I just saw (Washington post) that the Redskins are firing C Cory Raymer, DT Brandon Noble, and CB Walt Harris.

TBOLTZCALI
03-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Info on Arrington

http://www.nj.com/giants/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/114171404371310.xml&coll=1

CBO
03-07-2006, 11:32 AM
interesting---I would only make one modification to your starting seven

foley, arrington, edwards, merriman

castillo, williams, pryce

and have igor and cesaire as top reserves! talk about depth

I would like pryce but I think he will demand a decent salary and from what I have seen the Browns want him(just like every other FA Bentley, Givens, Leber, Wilhelm, Randal El). IMO Igor has done a very good job for us and would keep him as a starter.

ptr77
03-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Lavar is an olb with limited coverage abilities. He can deliver the knockout blow and is good against the run, he is a very good pass rusher but can't seem to get the sacks. He freelances too much is used to being overpaid and has a bad attitude. The guy has a lot of raw talent and no brains or patience to listen to others. Also the chargers pass rush is good and he isn't better than any of the chargers starting olbs. This guy was second string on the 4-3 redskins defense last year, he was used primarily as a pass rushing olb, down lineman and depth. He's injury prone too don't forget that.

mikeavo22
03-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Lavaar has great speed and good coverage skills. Hes got everything anyone would want in a LB. I'd rather have him than bring back(dare I say it, Say-OW) Seau. Not that LB core is an absolute must need to fix, but if Rivers is our starter, than we might as well look into our future LBs once Godfrey and Edwards goes....

I still would love to have Milloy in our secondary!!!!!!!!

green_tree725
03-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Lavaar would be an excellent addition to the Bolts linebacking core. With his playmaking skills to go alongside Shawn Merriman we would have the beginnings of one of the more dominant linebacking groups in the NFL.

chargerbaby95
04-26-2006, 12:21 PM
The other day i saw SHaun Phillips and his new twins they are so cute!!! Congratulations

JCDavey
04-26-2006, 01:03 PM
The other day i saw SHaun Phillips and his new twins they are so cute!!! Congratulationsdid he have either of them in a headlock? (just kidding)

chargerbaby95
04-26-2006, 01:14 PM
HA HA... The whole head lock thing... Probably was his babies momma and she would have kicked his butt.