PDA

View Full Version : San Diego should try to get an NHL team.

OldManCharger
10-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Next to NFL football, the next best sport is most definitely ICE HOCKEY.....too bad we do not have a NHL team here in SD to enjoy, I love that game and its even better now that they made all of those rule improvements and are letting the skilled players play.

Football and Hockey are not primadonna sports like Basketball and Baseball, where guys are spoiled babies and do not like getting hit. Have you ever seen a Basketball or baseball player throw a punch, its like watching women fight, just embarassing.

Football and Hockey are the last of the real man's games, I guess you should include rugby, Lacrosse, and Austrialian Rules Football, and Irish Hurling into there. Outside of thse sports we as humans are getting mighty soft.

OMC

Bobo
10-21-2005, 08:48 PM
I agree with you. I still like baseball, but it's 3rd to football & hockey. I'm a diehard Kings fan. SD needs an NHL team. :Helmet:

SDRaiderH8er
10-22-2005, 01:11 PM
San Diego has the Gulls, and quite frankly not enough people support them.

SDFaiderHater
10-22-2005, 01:27 PM
I agree with you. I still like baseball, but it's 3rd to football & hockey. I'm a diehard Kings fan. SD needs an NHL team. :Helmet:

1.football
2.baseball
3.drag racing
4.nascar
5.lacrosse

those are my top 5 sports i like to watch, hockey is still boring. if i want to watch fighting, ill watch UFC or Pride fighting.

BCBoltFan
10-22-2005, 02:33 PM
1.football
2.baseball
3.drag racing
4.nascar
5.lacrosse

those are my top 5 sports i like to watch,hockey is still boring. if i want to watch fighting, ill watch UFC or Pride fighting.
Obviously you don't understand the game.

SDRaiderH8er
10-22-2005, 02:40 PM
1.football
2.baseball
3.drag racing
4.nascar
5.lacrosse

those are my top 5 sports i like to watch, hockey is still boring. if i want to watch fighting, ill watch UFC or Pride fighting.

Here in San Diego, as far as being a participant, San Diego has one of the biggest Adult Recreational Leagues in the United States, and with all of its Youth Ball Programs throughout the County.

Myself I am an Umpire for Baseball, and I call games from January through December, with an only a break for Christmas and New Years!

Believe it or not San Diego is quite a Baseball town.

OldManCharger
10-22-2005, 06:19 PM

Too bad the Gulls do not get enough support, I go to a few games a year, but its just not the NHL and the big leagues are certainly better than the minors in hockey. I guess I should support them more.

As for the previous fighting comment, hockey permits fighting to some extent to prevent guys from abusing the rules, it is a form of self policing.....but fighting is a very small part of hockey.....but it is a testament to the players toughness and sacrifice to the game.....unlike other sports where players hide behind the rules or fear of suspension, and then go around hurting other players by breaking the rules flagrantly....in games like Hockey, Rugby, Lacrosse if you go around breaking the rules, you will get your nose broken....I consider it a fair pay back for cheating and it keeps guys on the level. Referees mis a lot of stuff in pro sports and its nice to see a dirty player get his desserts.

Nobody can question a hockey player's toughness and commitment to the game, besides there is something respectful about 2 men working out there disagreement when they go "toe to toe" and duke it out. Law of nature, its almost a throw back to the "gentlemen's dule".

OMC

BCBoltFan
10-22-2005, 07:45 PM
I know the building they play in seats around 13,000 people right? how many typically show up for the games? They'd probably sell a few seats each night to the tourist crowd too if it were NHL.

StevenSD
10-22-2005, 07:49 PM
There wouldn't be a large enough fan base for an NHL team in San Diego.

desertswo
10-22-2005, 10:53 PM
There wouldn't be a large enough fan base for an NHL team in San Diego.

. . . about that. Give them a modern arena and a decent product and San Diego fans will attend. I live in Phoenix now and the population here is similar to San Diego's in many ways; most especially with regard to going to sporting events if there is a product worth watching. Conversely, if what appears on the field or ice is crap (e.g. if you look up the word inept in the dictionary you will find a team photo of the Arizona Cardinals), there are plenty of other things to do in the great outdoors ó just like San Diego. The Cardinals are lucky to get 30,000 in their current venue due to both their ineptitude and the fact that only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun to watch NFL football at Sun Devil Stadium in September and October.

I myself had never seen an NHL game in person until my daughter got free tickets to a Phoenix Coyotes game from the school district for getting good grades. We went and sat in the nosebleed seats but from that moment on I was hooked. Itís a great game to watch in person (admittedly less so on TV). Iíve been back many times since over the past four years and every time there are at least 15,000 to 17,000 rear ends in the seats, and the Coyotes are far from a top tier team. Blow out that embarrassment of an arena and give a reason for a team to move to San Diego and I think you might be surprised by the fan base. Itíll never happen though for the same reason that the new stadium for the Chargers is in jeopardy ó the dopes downtown have their collectives heads firmly implanted where the sun doesnít shine; quite a feat in sunny Southern California!

Bobo
10-23-2005, 04:05 AM
1.football
2.baseball
3.drag racing
4.nascar
5.lacrosse

those are my top 5 sports i like to watch, hockey is still boring. if i want to watch fighting, ill watch UFC or Pride fighting.Boring? Hockey is by far the fastest moving team sport. It's also very physical & it also has finesse. Football & hockey go hand in hand. :Helmet:

tjwash
10-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Why? So it can be mired in mediocrity just like every other other $%*#ing sports franchise in this town?

OldManCharger
10-23-2005, 06:40 PM
1.football
2.baseball
3.drag racing
4.nascar
5.lacrosse

Nascar and Drag racing are not sports......to put those activities in the same category as professional athletes is ridiculous, with all due respect car racing may be interesting but the people behind the wheel are not athletes and they certainly do not deserve the same accolade as a professional athlete who has been likely training for his sport since he was 4 years old like many athletes do........besides, its not really fun to watch cars go around in circles....whoopied dooooooooo!!!!

If you watch car racing for the crashes, you need to seek psychiatric help also.

OMC

OldManCharger
10-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Why? So it can be mired in mediocrity just like every other other $%*#ing sports franchise in this town?

The honesty of that statment made me laugh and cry at the same time.

OMC

BCBoltFan
10-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Nascar and Drag racing are not sports......to put those activities in the same category as professional athletes is ridiculous, with all due respect car racing may be interesting but the people behind the wheel are not athletes and they certainly do not deserve the same accolade as a professional athlete who has been likely training for his sport since he was 4 years old like many athletes do........besides, its not really fun to watch cars go around in circles....whoopied dooooooooo!!!!

If you watch car racing for the crashes, you need to seek psychiatric help also.

OMC
While I agree that NASCAR drivers or open wheel drivers are not as athletic as Football or Hockey players, their sport is phsically demanding and there are not too many overweight or out of shape drivers. Racing is just as much a sport as air pistol, trap shooting, archery, bowling, billiards, darts, curling, bowling and fencing don't you think? Also, there is alot more to auto racing than going in circles... you sound like my wife. :(

OldManCharger
10-24-2005, 12:39 PM
While I agree that NASCAR drivers or open wheel drivers are not as athletic as Football or Hockey players, their sport is phsically demanding and there are not too many overweight or out of shape drivers. Racing is just as much a sport as air pistol, trap shooting, archery, bowling, billiards, darts, curling, bowling and fencing don't you think? Also, there is alot more to auto racing than going in circles... you sound like my wife. :(

I agree, those "so called" sports should not be in the olympics, except "fencing" which is very demanding phsyically, believe it or not ( I am laughing to myself, but seriously it is!!!!!).

As for racing, I would agree that it would be interesting, if you were working the pits, driving the actual car, or involved in the engineering of the vehicles and engines, but its just driving in circles, better than someone else. Even then only the race teams with a lot of money and the best cars seem to win (all the time).......but I respect you interest in that endeavor and I do appreciate the mechanics of the activity......but its still not a sport.

Good thing is, we agree Football is superior and that is something we can build on, LOL

OMC

Little Big Man
11-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Next to NFL football, the next best sport is most definitely ICE HOCKEY.....too bad we do not have a NHL team here in SD to enjoy, I love that game and its even better now that they made all of those rule improvements and are letting the skilled players play.

Football and Hockey are not primadonna sports like Basketball and Baseball, where guys are spoiled babies and do not like getting hit. Have you ever seen a Basketball or baseball player throw a punch, its like watching women fight, just embarassing.

Football and Hockey are the last of the real man's games, I guess you should include rugby, Lacrosse, and Austrialian Rules Football, and Irish Hurling into there. Outside of thse sports we as humans are getting mighty soft.

OMC

just wondering why u americans call hockey "ice" hockey?

SDRaiderH8er
11-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Too bad the Gulls do not get enough support, I go to a few games a year, but its just not the NHL and the big leagues are certainly better than the minors in hockey. I guess I should support them more.

As for the previous fighting comment, hockey permits fighting to some extent to prevent guys from abusing the rules, it is a form of self policing.....but fighting is a very small part of hockey.....but it is a testament to the players toughness and sacrifice to the game.....unlike other sports where players hide behind the rules or fear of suspension, and then go around hurting other players by breaking the rules flagrantly....in games like Hockey, Rugby, Lacrosse if you go around breaking the rules, you will get your nose broken....I consider it a fair pay back for cheating and it keeps guys on the level. Referees mis a lot of stuff in pro sports and its nice to see a dirty player get his desserts.

Nobody can question a hockey player's toughness and commitment to the game, besides there is something respectful about 2 men working out there disagreement when they go "toe to toe" and duke it out. Law of nature, its almost a throw back to the "gentlemen's dule".

OMC

I can remember the first Game I took my oldest to, we walked up and was able to get tickets, right on the glass, just inside the corner behind the Goalie.

I told my son, "Youre going to see an Ugly face tonight"

Midway through the second period a Gulls player checked an opposing player into the Glass right in front of my son, I thought he was going to jump high enough to hit the ceiling.

"That's what an ugly face looks like huh dad"

SDRaiderH8er
11-10-2005, 10:42 AM
The Sockers of the Arena Socker League's, they put up a few Championship Banners in the Arena.

mtxsound
11-10-2005, 10:45 AM
just wondering why u americans call hockey "ice" hockey?

Because there is not a lot of natural ice in San Diego, or California for that matter. So we have to play roller hockey in skating rinks. So we differentiate between the two....

Its like the difference between football and futbol.

BoltzFanInIraq
12-05-2005, 04:11 PM
1.football
2.baseball
3.drag racing
4.nascar
5.lacrosse

What the heck is lacrosse?!?!

The-Beast
12-05-2005, 04:55 PM
San Diego is in no way a venue for an NHL team for one 60% of the people that live there have probably never seen ice outside a gulls game. I also believe that the NHL is the worst run league outside the MLS they over expanded and watered down the talent especially since they arent getting athlete's out of europe anymore. Basketball has been stealing the youth crowd.

1. Football everyone knows its the best
2. Basketball only because its a watchable product on tv on a consistant basis
3. Boxing it would be higher up if the heavyweights could field a decent division
4. Baseball Tony Gwynn simply made me appreciate the art of hitting
5. Indoor Soccer One of the most under-appreciated
6. Golf at least its relaxing to play
7. Paintball one of the most fun things you can do go and shoot one of your friends
8. Hockey its only watchable in the arena. The use of enforcers discredits the game and the biggest reason its so low alot of canadians like it. Just kidding

LordBling
12-05-2005, 09:21 PM
I try to go to a few gulls games each season. I really enjoyed the WCHL, during its ten years the gulls won like 5 or 7 chamionships. it seems a little more challenging for the Gulls now that they are in the ECHL. Hockey in general in a pretty exciting sport. It is fast. really fast. and Gulls games are fairly violent.

The 'ipayone' center is an aging piece of crap. I dont think San Diego would support an NHL franchise in that venue. Hockey would have a chance in this town if the Chargers weren't around. Heres hoping things stay the way they are now.

socal18_2_88fan
12-07-2005, 09:47 PM
The only way the NHL comes to SD is if the Ducks decide to take the 5 South. Then, I don't see the team being supported that well. What I would expect to see is sellouts when Detroit, Minnesota, Colorado, and Toronto comes to town with the crowd being full of SD immigrants like myself cheering for their former hometown team (kind of like what happens in Anaheim now). A new arena would be a must as well. Personally I think, while the ECHL does not have the top tier talent, it does provide a good product at a great price. I like watching the Gulls, and I think if others gave them a chance they would enjoy them too.

BoltMark
12-07-2005, 11:15 PM
I like hockey, but most folks in this town in this town don't know a blue-line from a tanline. Most San Diego hockey fans just go up north for the Ducks or Kings, or just stay home for the Gulls. So Cal definitely doesn't need 3 NHL teams.

WARHAWKS
12-08-2005, 07:34 PM

i heard that they r suck this year..is it true?

also i heard the owner of the sport areana want new staduim...so do u agree?

BoltzFanInIraq
12-08-2005, 08:35 PM
If we get an NBA team, San Diego would boom in tourism!!

LordBling
12-10-2005, 12:07 PM
I visited the Gulls website earlier this week, I think it says they are in second place in their division.

The sports arena AKA ipayone center, needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. There are newer and better venues in town so they cant attract top drawing entertainment.

I dont think we will get another shot at an NBA team unfortunately. We already had the Rockets and the Clippers.

georgehimself
12-12-2005, 02:09 AM
I would rather have an NBA team here but NHL would be cool too. I wish we could just get an all Chargers crowd at Qualcomm!!!!!

619Steelerfan
12-20-2005, 03:55 PM
We need a new sports arena before any talk about an NHL team. But I do agree with you, Football>Hockey>the others

Dago81Sd
12-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Blah, who watches Hockey? Didn't they just implement some new "Power Play" crap?

I'll take the NBA over the NHL anyday. Bring the Clippers back.