PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Snacks

PaCkMaN
11-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Hey guys and gals, I was just wondering if anyone had some special snack setup or dish they love to make to watch the chargers play? Mine is as follows

Velvetta Cheese - about a 1" to 1.5" cut from the cheese block
Pace Hot Salsa - about 3 tablespoons (doesnt have to be hot, but I like the spicy stuff)
Tostitos chips or any kind

I just put it in a small bowl and heat in the microwave and stir every few seconds til melted. Very good stuff :Beer::D

IgorUnchained
11-12-2005, 06:24 PM
2 ripe avocados
2 tablespoons onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice (helps keep it fresh and for flavor)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoons ground pepper
1 cherry tomato, finely chopped
1 to 2 Serrano chiles, seeded and minced
(optional: Blue food coloring and a Gold Pepper)

Cut the 2 avocados in half and remove the pits.
Take 3 halves and mash them with the other ingredients - save a half to cut into small pieces to put in with the tomatoes and chiles when everything has been mashed and mixed.
I skip the cilantro because I personally feel that it tastes like hobo feces...but most people seem to prefer it with the cilantro. I also prefer a dollop of sour cream added for taste and consistancy.
Add Blue food coloring for some dark blue guacamole and garnish with lightning bolts cut out of your gold pepper.....Voila!

IgorUnchained's Sunday Bolt Guac......take it up a notch- BAM!

Podium
11-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks Igor, I actually went to the store after reading your post and Packman's. I'm gonna try both of them out tomorrow. Haha. I personally usually grill a burger with some fried potato skins with cheese and bacon on the side. TGIF style haha.

PaCkMaN
11-13-2005, 04:14 AM
I like the blue and gold touch on the reciepe Igor, very creative :) . Yea I thought this would be a cool topic to keep up with for everyone to share and maybe it will give some people a chance to try some great food that they would have never thought of. I mean there is nothing like eating great food while watching great football....hehe.

PaCkMaN
11-16-2005, 12:05 PM
someone has to have something else, I need some new grub to try this weekend!! lol

ComputerFatGuy
11-16-2005, 12:11 PM
i cant eat nothing. too much into the game. hahahaha. besides im very superstitious. ill be like " should i do this? i mean theyve been winning with me like this what if i changed it somehow" hahahahaha hopefully some of know what i mean

IgorUnchained
11-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I have never had this before, it seems very unhealthy, and it isnt your typical gameday food.

My girlfriend went to a function at her work where food was prepared. She said that she had something called "Snickers Salad" and it was one of the best desserts she has EVER had. When I found out what was in it I thought it sounded gross and I thought someone made it up....turns out I am one of the few people that I know that has never had it.
Any of you ever had or heard of this?

Snickers Salad

1 8-ounce package of cream cheese (softened)
1 12-ounce container of Cool Whip
1 Cup powdered sugar
6 Snickers candy bars
4-6 Granny Smith apples

Cut up apples and candy bars into little chunks
mix softened cream cheese and powdered sugar well, then slowly add in Snickers and apple chunks
mix in the cool whip last....but dont over mix it
chill for an hour in the fridge before serving

Costs less than 10 bucks.....serves 8 people.

I havent heard anyone who has tried it say anything less than "It's great".....my girlfriend will be making it sometime this week. I would be interested in hearing if anyone has had this stuff, and if so if they thought it was good or not.

Give it a shot!

Podium
11-16-2005, 10:44 PM
You let us know how that turns out Igor.

PaCkMaN
11-17-2005, 01:08 AM
This one is a MUST try for everyone. It is SO good and very cheap. People for some reason seem hesitant to try them but once they do they keep asking for more!

Ingredients:

15 ounces pkg. small-size pretzels
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix (3 Tbs. size)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1 teaspoon garlic powderDirections:

Sprinkle ranch dressing in bowl, add oil, dill weed and garlic powder; mix well. Place pretzels in small roaster or 9x13 pan. Pour oil and dressing mixture over pretzels and mix through pretzels. Bake at 200 for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.

LaDainian N9ne
11-17-2005, 08:46 PM
I like the simple stuff.

Chili-Bought from Portillos
Polish Dogs: Same Place :)

Very simple, yet effectice. had them while watching Bills vs. Cheifs hoping for Bills to move Kansas to T-2nd.

PaCkMaN
11-19-2005, 12:58 PM
cool, anyone else?? I need some things to try tomorrow as I might have a few people over to watch some football.

punkitty
11-19-2005, 01:17 PM
We usually have brunch for the early games. I usually make a "MESS"

Cook bacon in a pan, remove & leave grease in pan. Dice 1/2 potato per person, put on plate & microwave for about a minute. Throw potatoes in pan w/ hot grease. Cook on med til pots start to brown, add diced onions & red or green bell pepper. Spice how you like it. I Use chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne & black pepper, sometimes curry & cumin. Cook pots til very brown, then move to one side of pan. In a bowl, crack 2 eggs per person, scramble w/ a splash of milk, add spices. Pour into empty side of pan, trying to keep most of the eggs away from the potatoes til they start to get firm. Break the bacon up into bite sized pieces & throw into pan. Once the eggs are firmish you can mix everything together & top w/ cheese. You can serve it in the same pan. Everyone loves it & there's only one pan to wash!

IgorUnchained
11-20-2005, 05:39 PM
We usually have brunch for the early games. I usually make a "MESS"

Cook bacon in a pan, remove & leave grease in pan. Dice 1/2 potato per person, put on plate & microwave for about a minute. Throw potatoes in pan w/ hot grease. Cook on med til pots start to brown, add diced onions & red or green bell pepper. Spice how you like it. I Use chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne & black pepper, sometimes curry & cumin. Cook pots til very brown, then move to one side of pan. In a bowl, crack 2 eggs per person, scramble w/ a splash of milk, add spices. Pour into empty side of pan, trying to keep most of the eggs away from the potatoes til they start to get firm. Break the bacon up into bite sized pieces & throw into pan. Once the eggs are firmish you can mix everything together & top w/ cheese. You can serve it in the same pan. Everyone loves it & there's only one pan to wash!

Sounds great and I like the way you think when it comes to dishes! That is how I try and cook too.

punkitty
12-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Here's another one I call "Two Brees" or "Du' Bries"

Get two of the small round bries, cut the top skin off, bake in the oven at 350 for about 10 min.

While that is cooking, carmelize 1/2 a sliced onion in a frying pan for 10 min. Add a handful of craisins or dried cherries. Add 2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar & 2 Tbsp brown sugar. Stir so everything gets coated. Cook til most of the liquid is gone. Pour mixture on one of the bries & top w/ pistacios or almonds.
Top the other brie w/ chutney & macadamia nuts. Serve w/ crackers.

IgorUnchained
12-02-2005, 02:42 PM
That sounds good punkitty....I love brie!

Just for the record, I made some of that Snickers Salad around Thanksgiving. I would suggest making the chunks of apple very small and crumbling up the snickers rather than leaving a whole lot of chunks.

It really was very good!....but like a good cheesecake or mousse, it wasnt something you could eat alot of. The recipe I put up was enough to feed an army.....I couldnt even look at it after the second time I ate it.

It is a great idea for a picnic or something, but not recommended for multiple helpings.

1.21Gigawatts
12-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Some of these recipes are good. I gotta try them.