PDA

View Full Version : How Active Should We Be?

boltskickass21
01-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Last year, we only picked up a cack-up FS, the year before we picked up guys like Godfrey and Foley. How active do you guyz expect us to be this offseason? What holes will we fill via FA and what holes will we leave to fill via draft?

StevenSD
01-11-2006, 09:01 AM
I strongly believe any secondary holes would be filled up in FA, I don't think AJ would want a rookie playing in the secondary...it's more painful than watching our current one...look at Pacman Jones.

BoltsPride
01-11-2006, 09:31 AM
I was dissapointed last year because the Bolts were not more active in FA, especially with the secondary, Fred Smoot, Champ Bailey, Lance Shulters, etc. So I hope they do not pass up on chance to sign a good player this year.

Tomlinson21
01-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Like AJ says..."All I want are football players." I think that's pretty straight up if you ask me. Football players with "team" first without the off the field drama that some players carry with them to their new teams.

Good players with reasonable price tags are what AJ is after. Good teams with over priced tags on em is a no-no. But I don't see any reason to bust out with the $$ if he wants to make a legitimate run to the Super Bowl next year.

BoltsPride
01-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Like AJ says..."All I want are football players." I think that's pretty straight up if you ask me. Football players with "team" first without the off the field drama that some players carry with them to their new teams.

Good players without the reasonable price tags are what AJ is after. Good teams with over priced tags on em is a no-no. But I don't see any reason to bust out with the $$ if he wants to make a legitimate run to the Super Bowl next year.

Your post makes a lot of good sense. I would not ask AJ to run out and sign someone for big bucks on name alone, but I still think he was a little bit to conservative last year. True its easy to say that now, given the outcome of this season. What sticks in my mind are the decisions to let RH go, what was wrong with his attitude, or how come thay passed up on John Lynch in 2004 ?, did he have a lot of off the field baggage that would of hurt the team. Don't get me wrong, AJ and Marty have made a lot of good decisions, but given the 9-7 record this year, It leaves me feeling like we are always a day late and a dollar short when it comes to FA.

smlman2
01-11-2006, 10:35 AM
i would liek to see them more actice... i like going after steve hutchinson from seattle... he is a pro bowler and would greatly improve our oline... its doubtful that we will snatch him away from his great team but i would like to hear that we are going after him. i would also liek to see at least one corner in the FA to be our shutdown and then maybe jammer would do better against number twos and flornce i belive would out match alot of number threes with his skills. i like keeping hart and jue and kiel in the mix and adding a FS or SS in the draft to roam and be a ball hawk

Tomlinson21
01-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Your post makes a lot of good sense. I would not ask AJ to run out and sign someone for big bucks on name alone, but I still think he was a little bit to conservative last year. True its easy to say that now, given the outcome of this season. What sticks in my mind are the decisions to let RH go, what was wrong with his attitude, or how come thay passed up on John Lynch in 2004 ?, did he have a lot of off the field baggage that would of hurt the team. Don't get me wrong, AJ and Marty have made a lot of good decisions, but given the 9-7 record this year, It leaves me feeling like we are always a day late and a dollar short when it comes to FA.
Good point, maybe Aj thinks it's a "reach" getting players over the age of 30 perhaps. I've noticed how he's built this team with John Butler from the Draft and with young, solid free agents but I noticed that he hasn't really hired anybody over the age of 30 and John Lynch and the Hitman were well over the age where GM's think they are way past their prime: but these two players are exceptions to the rule and I agree, we passed up on em.

LarryAW
01-11-2006, 11:04 AM
I was dissapointed last year because the Bolts were not more active in FA, especially with the secondary, Fred Smoot, Champ Bailey, Lance Shulters, etc. So I hope they do not pass up on chance to sign a good player this year.

Me, too. We went 1 - 5 against winning teams last year, so I wasn't sold on us as "having arrived" as Marty said it. I also thought we should have brought in more offensive lineman. Looks like I was right, for once. ;)

HeadTrip
01-11-2006, 11:45 AM
I hope we actively try to improve our team. We certainly have the cap space to do so and we are so close to being an annual SB contender. I honestly don't think it's going to happen though. AJ has shown that he doesn't want to go out and hire the big names for big bucks and I don't see any reason for that trend to buck. AJ will get a couple cheap FA's that will be decent and he will draft a stud wit out first and possibly 2nd round picks. After that, this team will look about the same next year.

Tomlinson21
01-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I hope we actively try to improve our team. We certainly have the cap space to do so and we are so close to being an annual SB contender. I honestly don't think it's going to happen though. AJ has shown that he doesn't want to go out and hire the big names for big bucks and I don't see any reason for that trend to buck. AJ will get a couple cheap FA's that will be decent and he will draft a stud wit out first and possibly 2nd round picks. After that, this team will look about the same next year.
The same chemistry but better I think.

Shawne Merriman, Luis Castillo, Igor Olshansky, Shane Olivea, Scifres, Shawn Philipps, Cooper, Wilhelm and Kaeding are the FOOTBALL PLAYERS that stand out IN AJ's last 2 successful drafts. All pretty much with bright futures ahead of them.

Free agents Randall Godfrey, Steve Foley, Keenan McCardell and Mike Goff: all Veterans that really don't have the "media glamour" like T.O. or a Moss but "team players" who set the example right for the younger ones who come in.

If anyone has noticed the last 2 drafts and free agency signings - most of them, if not all of them have been instrumental to this team's success.

Now, I don't expect blockbuster trades unless it deals with a trade with one of our QB's but other than than expect this team to be built via draft. A team with youth, a commitment and just that: "Football players."

FanSince1979
01-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Tomlinson21,
Hey buddy, I tried sending you a private message, but your inbox is full.

Tomlinson21
01-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Tomlinson21,
Hey buddy, I tried sending you a private message, but your inbox is full.
clearing it out right now!

BoltsaremyGod
01-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Good point, maybe Aj thinks it's a "reach" getting players over the age of 30 perhaps. I've noticed how he's built this team with John Butler from the Draft and with young, solid free agents but I noticed that he hasn't really hired anybody over the age of 30 and John Lynch and the Hitman were well over the age where GM's think they are way past their prime: but these two players are exceptions to the rule and I agree, we passed up on em.

I don't know if the 30 and over rule is real. Godfrey. McCardell and Oben were all over 30 and Foley will be 31 this year.

What we need to do is find some good "value" players who will not burst the bank, but will have an immediate impact on the team, like all of the above. After we find those players, whether they are OTs, CBs, Ss, OGs, LBs or any other position player who is an upgrade to what we currently have, we will be set to move onto the draft with a more narrow focus at certain positions we still have a need, which should not be huge. Hopefully, we will have the luxury to not be in to dire a need for any one position so that we can select the best player available (i.e. Merriman).

bigbolthead21
01-11-2006, 10:19 PM
I think AJ should just target a few players and go after them and if he cant get them then move on to the draft. he should go after a safety (Chris Hope or Will Demps) and maybe a WR (David Givens) and then fill the other holes through the draft.

Tomlinson21
01-11-2006, 10:22 PM
I think AJ should just target a few players and go after them and if he cant get them then move on to the draft. he should go after a safety (Chris Hope or Will Demps) and maybe a WR (David Givens) and then fill the other holes through the draft.
Good choices there, although I really do think AJ should at least make a push for Reggie Wayne.

IgorUnchained
01-11-2006, 10:24 PM
I see the situation alot like I did last offseason. There are gaping holes....there are free agents to fill them......there is money to pay those free agents.

Last year the Bolts were in a decent poition cap wise while most of the AFC rivals were strapped (besides the Chiefs). AJ sat by while Moss went to the Raiders, Surtain went to the Chiefs, and the Browns D line went to the Broncos.

We all got a laugh at some of that and basically overlooked the rest....meanwhile those teams improved and the Chargers didnt make the playoffs. If AJ is a genius, that was a bad way of proving it.

While I didnt want the Browns D line on the Bolts, and I didnt think that Moss would be a good fit either, there were more than a few free agents that I felt deserved more of a look than they got.

I hope this season those lessons have been learned and the front office shows that they are serious about a Super Bowl win next season!

Sriprachandr
01-11-2006, 10:55 PM
A tale of two seasons. Before the 2004 season, the Chargers picked up a few nobodies... Steve Who? Randall What? Then the 4-12 Chargers went 12-4. The inactivity didn't hurt the Bolts. This strategy repeated in 2005 and the Chargers went 9-7. I think the difference in 2004 was in the changes in coaching staff, and the coming out of the players already here... i.e Gates and Brees. That didn't happen this season, and I don't see it happening again. Inactivity hurts. The Chargers don't need any blockbuster moves, but they should try to improve on their glaring weaknesses.

Brother Wolf
01-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Glaring weakness=OL & CB
Hutchinson would be nice, but I doubt AJ will pay the tag, would also be nice to get Clements...a bonus would be Jurivicious for WR (he's clutch, replacement for Keenan), but that would mean letting go of Caldwell.

Chargeroo
01-11-2006, 11:45 PM
I think the Bolts will be a bit more active in free agency this time. Last year they thought they needed a Free Safety, an improved pass rush most of all and some o-line depth as well as a Free Safety. They thought they could get the pass rush and o-line depth in the draft. The improved pass rush worked out but the o-line depth didn't pan out. They added the Safety free agent.

Fast forward to this year. It now appears that the o-line has moved up to be a big need. Additionally, Godfrey may retire and Donnie began to decline. That means they need help at ILB. The Secondary still needs help, but at Strong Safety now. I'm sure they still would like to have a big time WR - one of those guys that catch 80 passes for 1200 yards and get deep now and then. I also think they may need depth at CB because Fletcher would like to go elsewhere.

So they are trying to sign people they want to keep (like Fletcher) to see where they stand with their own players. Then they'll look at the draft and decide what they think they can do in the draft. I think they can get an OT, SS, and OG with the first three picks. If they think that, they'll be looking at the Free Agents that play the other positions of need - LB and WR and CB. I still think AJ will stick to his ways - he won't give some FA a ton of money like JoBu did in the past. To me, that means don't expect a guy like Reggie Wayne or Nate Clements to be coming here. I don't believe for a minute that Seattle will let the best guard in the league become a FA, so I don't look for him to come here. But, there are some decent lineman that could be of interest - guys that may not have 15 teams making offers to them, expect AJ to take a look at guys like that.

In addition to the players/positions mentioned above, I sure hope we see them get an new Special Teams coach, a new DB coach.

HeadTrip
01-12-2006, 02:01 AM
I think the Bolts will be a bit more active in free agency this time. Last year they thought they needed a Free Safety, an improved pass rush most of all and some o-line depth as well as a Free Safety. They thought they could get the pass rush and o-line depth in the draft. The improved pass rush worked out but the o-line depth didn't pan out. They added the Safety free agent.

Fast forward to this year. It now appears that the o-line has moved up to be a big need. Additionally, Godfrey may retire and Donnie began to decline. That means they need help at ILB. The Secondary still needs help, but at Strong Safety now. I'm sure they still would like to have a big time WR - one of those guys that catch 80 passes for 1200 yards and get deep now and then. I also think they may need depth at CB because Fletcher would like to go elsewhere.

So they are trying to sign people they want to keep (like Fletcher) to see where they stand with their own players. Then they'll look at the draft and decide what they think they can do in the draft. I think they can get an OT, SS, and OG with the first three picks. If they think that, they'll be looking at the Free Agents that play the other positions of need - LB and WR and CB. I still think AJ will stick to his ways - he won't give some FA a ton of money like JoBu did in the past. To me, that means don't expect a guy like Reggie Wayne or Nate Clements to be coming here. I don't believe for a minute that Seattle will let the best guard in the league become a FA, so I don't look for him to come here. But, there are some decent lineman that could be of interest - guys that may not have 15 teams making offers to them, expect AJ to take a look at guys like that.

In addition to the players/positions mentioned above, I sure hope we see them get an new Special Teams coach, a new DB coach.

That part at the bottom in bold could be the most important thing of all. We might have a top 10 pass D next year with the addition of a great coach, and it sure would be nice to not have the D starting at the 35-40 every time we kick off.

Sirbob
01-12-2006, 11:16 AM
That part at the bottom in bold could be the most important thing of all. We might have a top 10 pass D next year with the addition of a great coach, and it sure would be nice to not have the D starting at the 35-40 every time we kick off.
Kickoffs:
I think We sould hire a kicker with the "foot" to kick it out of the park every kick off. 2 kickers and one punter.

Safety:
What ever we don't get (Safety) we should hire.
E.G. Draft FS hire Strong Safety and Vise versa.
2 new guys at the most.

Dojo
01-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Why were we so quiet in FA last year? Teams like the Broncos stacked the team with FA and are in the playoffs. I believe that free agency is more important than the draft. First, you're bringing in vets instead of rookies which can make immidiate impact, second you bring in leadership which a stary-eyed rookie can't bring. We've done a masterful job in the draft the past couple years, 17 starters were home-grown, and we still have holes. The Broncos have done one of the worst job in the league with picking draft picks the past couple years and they went 13-3 this year. It just seems like more options could be gotten in FA instead of the draft. Over the past several years Denver got John Lynch (pro bowl), traded for Champ Bailey (pro bowl), Jake Plummer (pro bowl), Gerrard Warren, Mike Myers, Courtney Brown, and Ian Gold, all have played great this year. 3 PRO BOWLERS!!! Who did the Chargers get last year? Bawaoh (?) Jue. Yeah, good job AJ. If we're not going to trade into the top 8 then we need to really be active in free agency. Eric Moulds, possibly Chad Johnson, possibly Steve Hutchison, possibly Lavar Arrington, possibly Ty Law, the list goes on and on. I expect no less than 3 (!!!) big time free agents to be signed this year. Although, I hate to say it, I love the draft but we have to fill our holes in FA not the draft. This year, the draft should be for depth.

Chargeroo
01-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Why were we so quiet in FA last year? Teams like the Broncos stacked the team with FA and are in the playoffs. I believe that free agency is more important than the draft. First, you're bringing in vets instead of rookies which can make immidiate impact, second you bring in leadership which a stary-eyed rookie can't bring. We've done a masterful job in the draft the past couple years, 17 starters were home-grown, and we still have holes. The Broncos have done one of the worst job in the league with picking draft picks the past couple years and they went 13-3 this year. It just seems like more options could be gotten in FA instead of the draft. Over the past several years Denver got John Lynch (pro bowl), traded for Champ Bailey (pro bowl), Jake Plummer (pro bowl), Gerrard Warren, Mike Myers, Courtney Brown, and Ian Gold, all have played great this year. 3 PRO BOWLERS!!! Who did the Chargers get last year? Bawaoh (?) Jue. Yeah, good job AJ. If we're not going to trade into the top 8 then we need to really be active in free agency. Eric Moulds, possibly Chad Johnson, possibly Steve Hutchison, possibly Lavar Arrington, possibly Ty Law, the list goes on and on. I expect no less than 3 (!!!) big time free agents to be signed this year. Although, I hate to say it, I love the draft but we have to fill our holes in FA not the draft. This year, the draft should be for depth.I think you're forgetting two things -
1. Those veteran FA cost more than rookies
2. The rookies are usually 21 to 23 years old. they have a long career ahead of them. The vets that are available are often past thirty and won't be with you more than two or three years.

You ask who did the Chargers get last year? ....... and you answer Jue. - but what about the renewed pass rush via the draft? Merriman and Castillo are making less that the free agents and they have a lot more time left to play . Denver got lucky last year with those cast-offs from the Browns but Lynch, Bailey and Plummer have very large salaries and will be retired when Castillo and Merriman are still playing at a high level. I believe that the draft is the best way to build up a team. If you look at the teams that have had to tear the squad apart because of salary cap problems, you'll notice they are also the teams that signed a lot of Free Agents. Signing 1 or 2 and striving for good drafts combined with rewarding and keeping your own deserving players is the best way to go.

Bigbirdsd
01-12-2006, 02:43 PM
I trust AJ to do the right thing. We have money under the salary cap, we have trade bait, we have a good core on both sides of the ball. I think it will be mix of FA and draft, we will be fine. I see this year as a second in many productive Charger teams to come.

CBO
01-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I would love to get Lavar Arrington if he is let go. I think we could get him reasonably cheap(Grew up with Lights Out). I would also like to see some one like Tank Williams(Ten), Chris Hope(Pit). and maybe Brian Williams(Min) or Ricky Manning(CAR) that would bring some competition an possible upgrade at a lower cost. I would realy like to see Nate Clements but I dought that will happen. We have done a great job in the last 2 drafts. I do not think we need to go after any more ILB we has Cooper and Wilhelm. Both are good players and have done a great job in filling in when godfrey or Donnie have been hurt. Also Shawn Phillips is a great pass rusher to go with Foley an Merriman. Arrington would be a luxury at the right price.

CBO
01-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Also. This might not be a popular statement but I think we missed Fonoti alot in the run game. I would like to have him back. He did a great job last year and this year before he was hurt. He will be a lot cheaper to sign and he still lives in San Diego

TCUFAN5
01-14-2006, 04:32 PM
I Think If Chad Johnson Is Available In The Free Agency I Think We Should Pick Him Up Because I Think His Contract (if Im Mistaken Please Tell Me) Is Up This Year...and He Would Be A Great Asset To This Team Brings A Lot Of Enthusiasm And Heart To The Team But A Price Tag But I Feel That We Need To Fill Our Slots That We Need Leadership In The Free Agency And Then Like The Other Guy Said Depth Chart Fillers In The Draft Unless They Come In And Take Another Mans Position Atleast We Have Some People Here To Educate...dont Put It All On The Coaches Let Our Players Educate Players..u Know It Could Help Us Out

Chargeroo
01-14-2006, 04:44 PM
I Think If Chad Johnson Is Available In The Free Agency I Think We Should Pick Him Up Because I Think His Contract (if Im Mistaken Please Tell Me) Is Up This Year...and He Would Be A Great Asset To This Team Brings A Lot Of Enthusiasm And Heart To The Team But A Price Tag But I Feel That We Need To Fill Our Slots That We Need Leadership In The Free Agency And Then Like The Other Guy Said Depth Chart Fillers In The Draft Unless They Come In And Take Another Mans Position Atleast We Have Some People Here To Educate...dont Put It All On The Coaches Let Our Players Educate Players..u Know It Could Help Us Out Chad Johnson is not a FA this year. All the WR's that are scheduled for FA this year are listed here. =
http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=27991

Remember that many of those listed will be signed before the FA period actually starts.

JoeMcRugby
01-14-2006, 05:22 PM
As mentioned, Chad Johnson won't be a free agent this year.

But if he was, he'd be just the guy the Chargers need to put them over the top: a guy who would put WR coach James Lofton in a headlock and take a swing at Marty Schottenheimer with the Chargers leading by 3 points in a playoff game during halftime because he isn't getting the ball thrown to him often enough for his liking. :Beer:

:rolleyes:

HeadTrip
01-15-2006, 02:17 AM
As mentioned, Chad Johnson won't be a free agent this year.

But if he was, he'd be just the guy the Chargers need to put them over the top: a guy who would put WR coach James Lofton in a headlock and take a swing at Marty Schottenheimer with the Chargers leading by 3 points in a playoff game during halftime because he isn't getting the ball thrown to him often enough for his liking. :Beer:

:rolleyes:

That was never proven and obviously never happened. Guys that take swings at the coaches don't continue playing the game.

LarryAW
01-15-2006, 10:52 AM
The Chargers like to build via the draft and that is why we have 15 starters we drafted. It depends upon what's available in the draft that we need now. As said, if there is a player available in FA that would put us over the top, I think we would sign him. However, I don't think the Chargers will be very active in FA.

BoltsfanNYC
01-15-2006, 12:59 PM
the chargers were built in the draft 15 players PLus 2 undrafted!!! Gates and .... lineman...
anyway that said we Need a couple pieces now not next year so we must get 1 or 2 FA and then complete this puzzle with the draft.

JoeMcRugby
01-15-2006, 01:14 PM
That was never proven and obviously never happened. Guys that take swings at the coaches don't continue playing the game.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure Chad didn't get in a major confrontation with WR coach Hue Jackson and head coach Marvin Lewis. ;)

When a guy who is already given preferential treatment allegedly takes a swing at a coach (that is allegedly seen by other players) and nothing happens as a result, teams holding 17-14 leads tend to go into the tank.

David Lapham confirms that after talking to various Bengals players, there was an incident coming out of the lockerroom Sunday..........and "something did happen" that included a scuffle between Chad Johnson and WR Coach Hue Jackson. TJ did jump in to seperate....followed by Marvin jumping in. Lap cannot confirm a punch was thrown.

Lap was told by defensive players that they heard it.

And an offensive player did confirm what went down to Lap.

Lap did indicate that Anthony Mitchell and Madeiu Williams did nudge and kick each other last night on Bengals Line....in an effort to not talk about it on the air. Mitchell did say, "there were fireworks" at halftime.

http://www.lance1360homer.com/2006_01_08_lance1360homer_archive.html

Boomer Esiason, who loves Chad Johnson, commented that although no one will go on record about the incident, he knows that something serious went on in the locker room during halftime involving Chad Johnson and the coaching staff.

From the official Bengals website:

But Esiason does have concerns about the Chad Johnson incident and the Bengals defense, and he feels both are serious obstacles for the club.

Even though Johnson denied the report on profootballtalk.com, Esiason is convinced that Johnson had some kind of an altercation with wide receivers coach Hue Jackson and Lewis at halftime of last Sunday’s game and that it contributed to the second-half meltdown. He says Lewis has to meet this challenge as decisively as he’s met any other in Cincinnati.

“Chad doesn’t have a mean bone in his body, but it’s all about controlling his emotions. If he went after a coach, something significant has to happen,” Esiason said. “One guy can’t have that kind of autonomy if Marvin is going to get this team where they want to go.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5018

Where there's as much smoke as in San Diego during September 2003, believe me there's fire.

Just wait until next year - Chad Johnson may not rip his QB, but his antics will tear apart the Bengals unless he's reined in very quickly by Marvin Lewis.

HeadTrip
01-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Who said something major didn't happen? I said he didn't throw a punch and I'll stand by that until either chad or the coach says otherwise. From every report about Chad Johnson he is a great guy and a great teammate. I think it's obvious that something big went down in the locker room, but it's something that a guy with the character that Chad has (according to all the bangles) will regret deeply and will atone for.

JoeMcRugby
01-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Who said something major didn't happen? I said he didn't throw a punch and I'll stand by that until either chad or the coach says otherwise. From every report about Chad Johnson he is a great guy and a great teammate. I think it's obvious that something big went down in the locker room, but it's something that a guy with the character that Chad has (according to all the bangles) will regret deeply and will atone for.
We'll see.

Not getting enough balls thrown his way, do something that destroys his team's chances of winning a very important ballgame.

That reminds me of a couple of other primadonna high-profile WRs I've read about over the past few seasons. Their names escape me at the moment. :p

And whether a punch / arm swing in the direction of Marv Lewis was thrown or not, you'll never hear it from either of those two. So even if they're not telling the truth, "it didn't happen". ;)

Chad is going down the wrong road. This "great" teammate better get his head screwed on straight over the next few months and start being more concerned about the team's success instead of blowing his top because not enough balls are coming his way.

wikimama
01-15-2006, 08:23 PM
I hope AJ is very active, they are badly in need of some good O-lineman and a safety. I would like the offseason to look like this:

sign Steve Hutchinson OG
Sam Madison CB when he is cut
Draft Laron Landry FS LSU or Winston Justice OT USC
2nd round Daryn Colledge OT Boise State

Shamrock
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
I hope AJ is very active, they are badly in need of some good O-lineman and a safety. I would like the offseason to look like this:

sign Steve Hutchinson OG
Sam Madison CB when he is cut
Draft Laron Landry FS LSU or Winston Justice OT USC
2nd round Daryn Colledge OT Boise State

From rumblings I've heard (I travel to Seattle frequently) it sounds like there is no way the Squacks will let Hutchinson get away, even if they have to Franchise Tag him.

Sam Madison will be 32 before next season starts. That's getting pretty old for a CB. His price tag will probably be steep. Buying FA's like 32 year old CB's gets teams in cap hell.

I like Landry. He and Texas' Huff are my top two safeties. Ko Simpson also is a stud safety, with Tennessee's J. Allen possibly entering that group if he returns fully healed from his injury.

Justice had some very good plays, and some very bad plays vs. Texas in the Rose Bowl. I'm not sold on him. I'd rank him as the fifth best OT below D'Brick, Jon Scott, Whitworth and Trueblood. I know that's not what the draftniks say, but that's the order I saw after watching every bowl game, plus some earlier season action.

Colledge is on my "do not draft" list (includes McNeil, Winston, Max Jean-Gilles among others). Colledge isn't physical enough, and I don't believe athletic enough. He might fit better in a zone blocking scheme like Denver and Atlanta run.

LT LT LT
01-16-2006, 12:42 AM
shamrock are you anti Reggie Bush?

drangus
01-16-2006, 01:22 AM
From rumblings I've heard (I travel to Seattle frequently) it sounds like there is no way the Squacks will let Hutchinson get away, even if they have to Franchise Tag him.

Sam Madison will be 32 before next season starts. That's getting pretty old for a CB. His price tag will probably be steep. Buying FA's like 32 year old CB's gets teams in cap hell.

I like Landry. He and Texas' Huff are my top two safeties. Ko Simpson also is a stud safety, with Tennessee's J. Allen possibly entering that group if he returns fully healed from his injury.

Justice had some very good plays, and some very bad plays vs. Texas in the Rose Bowl. I'm not sold on him. I'd rank him as the fifth best OT below D'Brick, Jon Scott, Whitworth and Trueblood. I know that's not what the draftniks say, but that's the order I saw after watching every bowl game, plus some earlier season action.

Colledge is on my "do not draft" list (includes McNeil, Winston, Max Jean-Gilles among others). Colledge isn't physical enough, and I don't believe athletic enough. He might fit better in a zone blocking scheme like Denver and Atlanta run.

I thought eric winston looked good on some plays vs LSU--I wonder how much of an issue his knee has been or will continue to be

I am sold on whitworth as a RT--he will be solid there but not at LT--I like his potential

unlike yourself I was impressed by max jean gilles--the guy could be the next larry allen or the next toniu fonoti so he is a scary pick-maybe in the late second I don't know

trueblood I really liked but not for a 1st round pick-he is limited quickness wise but he should make up for a lot of that with esperience

d'rick is awesome as pass blocker but he is very average as a run blocker-he needs to gain mass and strength and become less one dimensional--his technique is perfect in pass protection

jonathan scott is the guy I really like in the 1st round for us-I was very impressed with this guy-if he is there at 19 we should nab him

I agree with you on colledge-he will either be a texan, bronco, or falcon next season

Mcneil I think is a total project--and he has injury issues--he should drop considerably if he is around in the 3rd maybe but for sure in the 4rth he is worth a look

HeadTrip
01-16-2006, 01:57 AM
According to Seahawk fans, they have a great cap situation just like us and there is no way they let Hutch go. Even if they drasticly overpay the drasticly overrated Shaun Alexander they will still have plenty of space to sign Hutch, who will be a top priority in the offseason.

Shamrock
01-16-2006, 09:25 AM
shamrock are you anti Reggie Bush?
No. I think he will be a fantastic 3rd down back, slot WR, and KR/PR. I just don't think he could take the pounding as an everydown RB between the tackles, so I would rate him a little lower than many. Just my opinion.

I thought eric winston looked good on some plays vs LSU--I wonder how much of an issue his knee has been or will continue to be

I am sold on whitworth as a RT--he will be solid there but not at LT--I like his potential

unlike yourself I was impressed by max jean gilles--the guy could be the next larry allen or the next toniu fonoti so he is a scary pick-maybe in the late second I don't know

trueblood I really liked but not for a 1st round pick-he is limited quickness wise but he should make up for a lot of that with esperience

d'rick is awesome as pass blocker but he is very average as a run blocker-he needs to gain mass and strength and become less one dimensional--his technique is perfect in pass protection

jonathan scott is the guy I really like in the 1st round for us-I was very impressed with this guy-if he is there at 19 we should nab him

I agree with you on colledge-he will either be a texan, bronco, or falcon next season

Mcneil I think is a total project--and he has injury issues--he should drop considerably if he is around in the 3rd maybe but for sure in the 4rth he is worth a look
Max J-G looked much better in this bowl game than the two games I had seen of him earlier, but he still looked sluggish at the end of the game. I never saw him pull like Larry Allen can. I really question his weight/conditioning and his ability to keep that under control to retain his limited athleticism. I think a guy like OK D. Joseph, or the USC kid (Taitusi Lutui that showed good power and athleticism is what SD needs at guard. For a few years now, we haven't seen the Chargers do well on screens, draws and sweeps because our OG's don't/can't get outside. Getting a guy like Max J-G just limits them even more.

E. Winston was another who didn't show a full package. He was okay seal blocking, and running his guy to his outside shoulder in pass blocking, but had trouble with inside moves and doing anything to his right. To me, that said his knee isn't okay. He also didn't move the pile at all in drive blocking. I saw him before he got hurt, and he had better feet than former FSU OT Barron, and Winston could pull then. He has lost his best attributes because of mobility issues, and there isn't enough left to rate him very high. Seriously, I think his med report will red flag him.

Whitworth is raw, but has the tools and athleticism. He needs a year, then he might end up being the best OT in this draft. He had nearly as much drive blocking power as Trueblood.

I like J. Scott. I want to see more, even though I've probably seen him more than any OT in this draft. He had a couple early mistakes in the Rose Bowl, but then showed better 2nd level blocking than other OT's I've seen. His drive blocking could be better.

Winston Justice needs to be a little more consistent.

midnight9875
01-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Last year, we only picked up a cack-up FS, the year before we picked up guys like Godfrey and Foley. How active do you guyz expect us to be this offseason? What holes will we fill via FA and what holes will we leave to fill via draft?
we wont be active. we wont sign big time players until A.J leaves

drangus
01-16-2006, 12:20 PM
According to Seahawk fans, they have a great cap situation just like us and there is no way they let Hutch go. Even if they drasticly overpay the drasticly overrated Shaun Alexander they will still have plenty of space to sign Hutch, who will be a top priority in the offseason.

I don't think seattle will overpay and it wouldn't surprise me if they don't bring him back at all--there are some good quality backs available in this draft and that position allows for some of the fastest transitions from college to the pros--I would prioritize the signing of hutchinson and draft maroney from minnesota with the first pick

drangus
01-16-2006, 12:26 PM
we wont be active. we wont sign big time players until A.J leaves

bringing in the likes of merriman and castillo is active enough if it keeps us from getting in trouble with the cap

AJ has proven that he can not only find the best talent but his guys have for the most part been able to contribute right away--that is something which cannot be overstated

you sound as if you'd prefer AJ to move on:mad:

CBO
01-16-2006, 04:17 PM
AJ has done a good job putting this team together but just like our coach he is a little to conservative some times.

in 05 we returned all 22 starters from 04 and besides Merriman, Castillo and Jue but there needs to be a major upgrade in the second dairy. I dont think it is all the safetys fault. I would love it if we could add Nate Clements as a DB. But if not Jammer and Dflo are getting better and would be helpped out with better safteys. My dream for next years Defense

Hope Williams

Jammer Clements

Merriman Wilhelm Arrington Foley
Castillo Williams Olshansky

I'm sure there are not very many of you that would want Lavar Arrington but he is a play maker.

What are your thoughts?

TemeculaMike
01-16-2006, 05:10 PM
... in 05 we returned all 22 starters from 04 and besides Merriman, Castillo and Jue but there needs to be a major upgrade in the second dairy.
I agree 100% - milk production was waaay off. Its as if those guys working back there had never wrapped their hands around the cow hide. Just about everytime a they had the opportunity to grab the leather - it would squirt away, as if it was covered (ironically) with milk.

CBO
01-16-2006, 05:19 PM
I agree 100% - milk production was waaay off. Its as if those guys working back there had never wrapped their hands around the cow hide. Just about everytime a they had the opportunity to grab the leather - it would squirt away, as if it was covered (ironically) with milk.

That was good. Need to take a little more time with the spelling.:p

TBOLTZCALI
01-16-2006, 05:23 PM
We need to be Super Bowl active..if that says anything.

CBO
01-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Everyone always talks about how good the Patriots do in free agency and they always have a lot of new faces. Rodney, Dillon, Colvin, Brown, Dwight, Flutie, Beisel, Don Davis, Andre Davis, Evens, Fauria, Izzo, Neal, Poteat, Vrabel. I know there are others. The key is we cant get to shy and only sign 1 FA again. There are improvements to make and if we want to be where the Pats have been for the last 4 years we need to improve.

DefenseWins
01-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Maybe since it's a pigskin they should spend the off-season entering greased pig contests to hone their skills at grabbing the slippery little varmit ;) I would bet that there is some intrepid fan that has a farm that would be willing to donate a few porkers to the cause so that they could continue the training during spring camp.

JoeMcRugby
01-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Everyone always talks about how good the Patriots do in free agency and they always have a lot of new faces. Rodney, Dillon, Colvin, Brown, Dwight, Flutie, Beisel, Don Davis, Andre Davis, Evens, Fauria, Izzo, Neal, Poteat, Vrabel. I know there are others. The key is we cant get to shy and only sign 1 FA again. There are improvements to make and if we want to be where the Pats have been for the last 4 years we need to improve.

Those (outside of Dillon who was acquired from the Bengals in a trade for a 2nd round pick) were all low-level low dollar free agent signings by the Pats, very similar to the signings the Bolts made in 2004..

Having the third youngest roster in the NFL going into 2005 and all of the starters returning to the roster, with $8 million of the cap going to Brees with the franchise tag, and with the necessity to sign Antonio Gates, Jamal Williams, Keenan McCardell and others to long-term contracts, the Bolts were understandably very low key on the free agent scene the past offseason.

Hopefully, with Brees signing a long-term deal that will save more than $5 million on the 2006 salary cap as opposed to the franchise tag and and expected $20+ million in cap space, I expect that AJ will be more active in 2006 - but like the Patriots, he will do it with low-to-mid-level free agents at the OT, safety and ILB positions unless he sees the one free agent who he deems will put the team over the top. AJ said in an interview last summer that he's not adverse to going out on the market for a high priced free agent, but that guy will need to be THE difference in winning a Super Bowl.

It's yet to be seen if such a player at OT, S or ILB will be on the market, but I do expect AJ to address those positions on the free agent market and/or the first couple of rounds of the draft. :Beer:

Chargeroo
01-16-2006, 08:10 PM
It's yet to be seen if such a player at OT, S or ILB will be on the market, but I do expect AJ to address those positions on the free agent market and/or the first couple of rounds of the draft. :Beer: I don't think so Joe. The way to get to the Super Bowl would be to sign Peerless Price, Peter Warrick, Quincy Morgan, Reggie Wayne, and T. Owens.

You need to read more posts in the forum to figure this stuff out.

JoeMcRugby
01-16-2006, 08:25 PM
I don't think so Joe. The way to get to the Super Bowl would be to sign Peerless Price, Peter Warrick, Quincy Morgan, Reggie Wayne, and T. Owens.

Damn, silly me, Roo!! :o

I'll give myself a few slaps to wake me up to reality!! :p

poon
01-16-2006, 08:43 PM
I'd be most happy if we sign/trade for an experienced Saftey. We lack a leader back there, a 'general' for the seconday. Someone who can read the game. I see that as the biggest need for our team. I think we have the vets on the O'Line, WR and LB that we can build through the draft, but at Safety if we put a rook in there I don't think we will improve in that department next year.

CBO
01-17-2006, 10:12 AM
I think a playmaker like Huff or Bing could be a good addition but along with that we do need a good Vet leader. As I see it now we do not have a leader in the secondary no one has stepped up. John Lynch would have been a good fit 2 years ago.

togusahideo
01-17-2006, 10:31 AM
we need a star at left tackle and some competition at the guard positions to ignite some fire in our line men. they need to give LTv quality touches and give brees time on a consistent basis notice i said consistent, also we need 1 preferrably two leaders in the secondary with experience at corner back and at free safety.

Chargeroo
01-17-2006, 11:17 AM
I think a playmaker like Huff or Bing could be a good addition but along with that we do need a good Vet leader. As I see it now we do not have a leader in the secondary no one has stepped up. John Lynch would have been a good fit 2 years ago. Bing? What play have you ever seen him make? I saw four USC games this year and he never did anything outstanding in any of them. I think he's way over-rated. - Just my opinion but it does come from seeing him play, not from what some web site says.

CBO
01-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Bing? What play have you ever seen him make? I saw four USC games this year and he never did anything outstanding in any of them. I think he's way over-rated. - Just my opinion but it does come from seeing him play, not from what some web site says.

I had seen a couple of games early in the year. I did see the Rose Bowl and agree he did disapear. If we took him in the second round I think that would be good value. What do you think about Blue from Georga as a 2nd rounder? Never seen him play but have read a few things about him.

Totally Bolted
01-17-2006, 01:48 PM
I don't think so Joe. The way to get to the Super Bowl would be to sign Peerless Price, Peter Warrick, Quincy Morgan, Reggie Wayne, and T. Owens.

Wayne would be the only one I could see being a possibility for AJ to sign as a high ticket UFA. There's not a S, OT, or. ILB that could bring the SB berth as likely as one of these.

Robimaz
01-17-2006, 02:49 PM
no way, he has issues with regard to his weight and emotional state. I do not think it is good idea, he is full of potential but that is all he will ever be

CBO
01-17-2006, 03:08 PM
no way, he has issues with regard to his weight and emotional state. I do not think it is good idea, he is full of potential but that is all he will ever be

Robimaz Who are you talking about?

drangus
01-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Hopefully, with Brees signing a long-term deal that will save more than $5 million on the 2006 salary cap as opposed to the franchise tag and and expected $20+ million in cap space, I expect that AJ will be more active in 2006 - but like the Patriots, he will do it with low-to-mid-level free agents at the OT, safety and ILB positions unless he sees the one free agent who he deems will put the team over the top. AJ said in an interview last summer that he's not adverse to going out on the market for a high priced free agent, but that guy will need to be THE difference in winning a Super Bowl.

It's yet to be seen if such a player at OT, S or ILB will be on the market, but I do expect AJ to address those positions on the free agent market and/or the first couple of rounds of the draft. :Beer:

I know it is pure specualtion until we find out who is available in FA--I think Jeff Backus could be such a guy--what is your take on him?

TemeculaMike
01-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Maybe since it's a pigskin ...
FYI - A football is called "the pigskin," because pigs bladders were originally used as the inflatable component. These bladders were sometimes wrapped in pig or cow leather. The ball was inflated using the natural nozzle present in all bladders.

see, http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_121.html

However, the modern football - i.e. from the 1930's on are made from cow leather.

I don't think sending "greased anything" towards our butter finger secondary is going to be productive. We don't want to ruin their confidence further.

Chargeroo
01-20-2006, 11:23 PM
[/b]

I know it is pure specualtion until we find out who is available in FA--I think Jeff Backus could be such a guy--what is your take on him?I think he's a tough guy that never misses a game and plays hard. He's still pretty young too. He'd sure be worth going after but I doubt he'll actually be available. It would be nice though.

drangus
01-21-2006, 12:21 AM
I think he's a tough guy that never misses a game and plays hard. He's still pretty young too. He'd sure be worth going after but I doubt he'll actually be available. It would be nice though.

the reason I asked is because I haven't really seen him play and his size is average at best--he is obviously durable but starting for the lions doesn't exactly say much--can he play?

ChampCharger
02-03-2006, 10:38 AM
All of the AFC West is looking to improve through FA pickups. Chiefs and Broncos want TO and the Raiders will undoubtedly pickup a big name with Al Davis' determination.

The Chargers need immediate impact players on Defense and the O-Line.
In my opinion its at LG, C and maybe RT on Offense...and at least CB and SS on Defense.

We can only get one of those through the draft. It' rare to see anything but a second round pick come on and play at a super bowl caliber (unless its Tom Brady).

That means we need to make room for some quality free agents this offseason, and don't let anyone take the guys we want.

Bruincdc
02-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Me, too. We went 1 - 5 against winning teams last year, so I wasn't sold on us as "having arrived" as Marty said it. I also thought we should have brought in more offensive lineman. Looks like I was right, for once. ;)

1-5? What team were you watching? let start

New York Giants, New England, Kansas City, Washington and Indianapolis. Thats 5 playoff teams we beat. Our problem was not beating the teams we were supposed to beat. We lost too many games we shouldve closed out, I.E. Dallas, Denver (1st game in Denver), Philadelphia, Miami. Even Pittsburgh we couldve beat. Experience, Depth at the O-line and secondary help are our greatest needs. We should not have gotten rid of Tonui Fonoti. Plus we have a multi million dollar back up QB we could trade for the help we need.

JoeMcRugby
02-03-2006, 11:17 AM

New York Giants, New England, Kansas City, Washington and Indianapolis. Thats 5 playoff teams we beat. Our problem was not beating the teams we were supposed to beat. We lost too many games we shouldve closed out, I.E. Dallas, Denver (1st game in Denver), Philadelphia, Miami. Even Pittsburgh we couldve beat. Experience, Depth at the O-line and secondary help are our greatest needs. We should not have gotten rid of Tonui Fonoti. Plus we have a multi million dollar back up QB we could trade for the help we need.

He must have been referring to the 2004 season when the Chargers were 1-5 against winning teams.

As for "not getting rid of Fonoti", he played a total of less than 15 minutes (for the Chargers and Vikes) after having surgery for a small broken bone in his hand early in the season.

He weighed 408 pounds when he was traded and is now an urestricted free agent.

IMO One of the best moves the Chargers made was by getting something for Toniu (a 7th round pick) instead of getting nothing.

SDFaiderHater
02-03-2006, 11:25 AM
The same chemistry but better I think.

Shawne Merriman, Luis Castillo, Igor Olshansky, Shane Olivea, Scifres, Shawn Philipps, Cooper, Wilhelm and Kaeding are the FOOTBALL PLAYERS that stand out IN AJ's last 2 successful drafts. All pretty much with bright futures ahead of them.

Free agents Randall Godfrey, Steve Foley, Keenan McCardell and Mike Goff: all Veterans that really don't have the "media glamour" like T.O. or a Moss but "team players" who set the example right for the younger ones who come in.

If anyone has noticed the last 2 drafts and free agency signings - most of them, if not all of them have been instrumental to this team's success.

Now, I don't expect blockbuster trades unless it deals with a trade with one of our QB's but other than than expect this team to be built via draft. A team with youth, a commitment and just that: "Football players."

you can have the team first rara sis boom bah players in the world, eventually you need talent, and with talent can come arogance, which i dont see anything wrong with if they can backup their words. now im nto saying go get TO, but the Chargers got lucky with Foley a Godfrey, i hope that this cap room we have is used, you can be cap friendly and still spend the dough.

Chargeroo
02-03-2006, 11:39 AM
the reason I asked is because I haven't really seen him play and his size is average at best--he is obviously durable but starting for the lions doesn't exactly say much--can he play?I'd call him an average pass blocker for a LOT and an above average run blocker. I'd compare him to Oben as a pass blocker but better than Oben as a run blocker. He'd be a good add if he actually becomes available.

LarryAW
02-03-2006, 09:57 PM

The same one you were. I was referring to the 2004 season. I made this statement quite a few times during the 2005 season, and it's on auto-pilot in my brain. It flows without much thought, and there's the problem. My brain hasn't been updated yet. ;) Sorry for the confusion.

Ikeman83
02-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Well, I don't think we should be as active in Free Agency as we need to be. We need to upgrade 3 positions: SS, LT, RT. We can upgrade C, ILB, WR.

I don't mean that we don't have good players available at all of these positions, just that these were some of our weaknesses last season. Now, if Oben isn't going to be back, then we need to get a new LT, if we get a new RT, then we can move Shane inside. If we draft or sign a SS, then we improve our secondary dramatically.

If VJ is able to play this season, then that will also seriously improve the play of our offense (It doesn't seem like our skill positions could improve that much, but I think we could have a 7000 yard offense instead of a 5000 yd offense if the WRs stepped it up.)

Does it make sense to go out and sign a new SS, LT, RT, C, ILB, and WR in free agency? No, not at all, but if there's an incredible LT available, or a really good RT, or Center, then we should pursue them. I think that signing more than about 3 FAs this offseason would be too much. I think with the 9 players we're getting in the draft this year and three FAs that we could have the most complete team in football.

Which 3 FAs do we go for? Depends on who's available.

14_Bolt
02-03-2006, 11:19 PM
I think AJ will be very active. He realizes that he has a window of about 4 years with the best player in football. I think he will go after some big names.

I would like to see the Bolts go after Law. I know what everyone is going to say, but he is a leader, a good guy and had more picks last year (10) than Jammer has had in his career.

Law has another two years at corner, then can be moved to safety. I would think with Law on the team, Wade can have a field-day moving DB around the field. Jammer and Law can exchange safety corner play and really create some comfusion.

The Chargers need an experienced playmaker in the secondary, one that can kick Jammer, Florence and Davis (if he isn't cut) in the butt and get them to make plays on the ball.

Ikeman83
02-03-2006, 11:22 PM
I think AJ will be very active. He realizes that he has a window of about 4 years with the best player in football. I think he will go after some big names.

I would like to see the Bolts go after Law. I know what everyone is going to say, but he is a leader, a good guy and had more picks last year (10) than Jammer has had in his career.

Law has another two years at corner, then can be moved to safety. I would think with Law on the team, Wade can have a field-day moving DB around the field. Jammer and Law can exchange safety corner play and really create some comfusion.

The Chargers need an experienced playmaker in the secondary, one that can kick Jammer, Florence and Davis (if he isn't cut) in the butt and get them to make plays on the ball.

Jammer won't move to SS, because he actually is a good CB. He doesn't make all the glamour plays, but he gets the job done. I don't think Law has a future as a Safety either, because he is a cover corner. Nice thoughts... they just don't translate to well into on the field play.