PDA

View Full Version : Status of Chargers 2006 free agents.

Dan40
01-27-2006, 03:15 PM
List from Joel's blog (http://blog.chargers.com/2006/01/free_agents.html).

The Chargers entered the 2006 offseason with 19 unsigned team free agents.

Three were exclusive rights free agents who were not offered tenders from the Chargers. They have not bveen signed to another team.

Eight free agents have signed with the Chargers.

Additionally, eight free agents chose to sign with another club.

Re-signed (8)

Cesaire, Jacques DE - signed 5-year contract on 2/13.
Cooper, Stephen LB - signed 1-year contract on 3/24.
Dielman, Kris G - signed 1-year contract on 3/20.
Hart, Clinton S - signed 3-year contract on 2/2.
Osgood, Kassim WR - signed 4-year contract on 1/27.
Pinnock, Andrew RB - signed 5-year contract on 2/15.
Polk, Carlos LB - signed 1-year contract on 1/30.
Wilhelm, Matt LB - signed 1-year contract on 4/19.

Unrestricted Free Agents Lost (8)

Brees, Drew QB, signed with Saints on 3/14.
Caldwell, Reche WR, signed with Patriots on 3/17.
Fletcher, Jamar DB, signed with Lions on 5/1.
Hallen, Bob G, signed with Browns on 3/15.
Leber, Ben LB, signed with Vikings on 3/6.
Peelle, Justin TE, signed with Dolphins on 3/20.
Scott, DeQuincy DE, signed with Vikings on 3/23.
Van Buren, Courtney T*, signed with Lions on 3/24.

Unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents
Haddad, Drew WR*
Hodges, Howard LB*
Murray, Cal RB*

*VanBuren was a restricted free agent but was not tendered an offer, and became an unrestricted free agent. Haddad, Hodges and Murray were exclusive rights free agents, but were not tendered offers. They are now unrestricted free agents.

Free agent FAQ

Thanks, Joel, for the info!

What is the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent?

In any year that is a “capped” year, players become restricted free agents when they complete three accrued seasons and their contract expires. Unrestricted free agents have completed four or more accrued seasons with an expired contract.

What constitutes an "accrued season?"

Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.

Other than accrued seasons, what determines a restricted free agent?

He has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his old club. He can negotiate with any club through April 21. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him because it has the "right of first refusal." If the old club does not match the offer, it can possibly receive draft-choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player’s rights revert to his old club on April 21.

What determines an unrestricted free agent?

A player with four or more accrued seasons whose contract has expired. He is free to sign with any club, with no compensation owed to his old club, through July 22 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later). On July 23, his rights revert to his old club if it made a "tender" offer (110 percent of last year's salary) to him by June 1. His old club then has until the Tuesday after the 10th week of the season (November 14) to sign him. If he does not sign by November 14, he must sit out the season. If no tender is offered by June 1, the player can be signed by any club at any time throughout the season.

What determines a transition player?

His club must offer a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation.

What determines a franchise player?

A club can designate one franchise player (or one transition player) in any given “capped” year. The salary level offer by a player's old club determines what type of franchise player he is. An "exclusive" franchise player -- not free to sign with another club -- is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries for 2006 at the player's position as of April 21, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, he becomes a "non-exclusive" franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.

Can a club decide to withdraw its franchise or transition designations on a player? If so, can it then use them on other players?

A club can withdraw its franchise or transition designations and the player then automatically becomes an unrestricted free agent either immediately or when his contract expires. It can name a new franchise player or transition player the next year. A club can designate a transition player in lieu of a franchise player any year.

ChampCharger
02-01-2006, 02:04 AM
Brees will get a long term deal...
the only other Unrestricted Free Agent to stay with us will probably be Dequincy Scott...He doesn't have too many 3-4 Defenses that need his services.

TBOLTZCALI
02-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Leber, Pelle, and Caldwell will be gonzo.

hambone
02-02-2006, 02:43 PM
cooper, hart, brees, maybe fletcher, and scott will be back, u ever seen the video to pregames? scott gets our d pumped up im pretty sure we'll bring him back and he's cheap

CBO
02-02-2006, 03:02 PM
DQ will be back he provides good depth at DE and OLB.

SuperBowlBolts
02-02-2006, 06:15 PM
thats 3 signed now!!! Hart has agreed to a three year deal =) go AJ

TJ21
02-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Cooper, Stephen LB
Dielman, Kris G
Wilhelm, Matt LB
Brees, Drew QB
Leber, Ben LB
Peelle, Justin TE
Scott, DeQuincy DE

Those are the "big" names left. I'd be surprised if others besides those guys got resigned.

I think we can afford to let Peele and Leber go, Leber was great and Peele wasn't half bad, but we have enough talent at their respective positions. Cooper and Wilhelm add depth and Scott is a motivator on the team. :Beer: And well, we all know everyone wants Drew back.

hambone
02-02-2006, 09:35 PM
im pretty sure wilhem is gone i think the browns are interested in him

JoeMcRugby
02-02-2006, 10:21 PM
im pretty sure wilhem is gone i think the browns are interested in him

Restricted free agent.

After the Chargers make their tender, are the Browns going to give up a first round pick (or more) for him?

Wilhelm will be back in lightning bolts for 2006. :Bolt:

SuperBowlBolts
02-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Restricted free agent.

After the Chargers make their tender, are the Browns going to give up a first round pick (or more) for him?

i sure hope so then maybe we can pick up Chad Greenway and Ko Simpson =)
chance of happening .0000000000000000001

guimcharger
02-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Exclusive Rights (3)

Haddad, Drew WR- Sign for TC
Hodges, Howard LB- Sign for TC
Murray, Cal RB- Release

Restricted Free Agents (6)

Cesaire, Jacques DE- Definite Resign
Cooper, Stephen LB- Definite Resign
Dielman, Kris G- Resign
Pinnock, Andrew RB- Resign
Van Buren, Courtney T- Release
Wilhelm, Matt LB- Resign

Unrestricted Free Agents (7)

Brees, Drew QB- Definite Resign
Caldwell, Reche WR- Release
Fletcher, Jamar DB- Definite Resign (Best Nickle CB in the league)
Hallen, Bob G- Sign for TC
Leber, Ben LB- Try to Sign
Peelle, Justin TE- Sign
Scott, DeQuincy DE- Definite Sign

I think AJ will bring back most of the guys. I believe CVB is done. He has duribility problems which is bad for a O-lineman. Caldwell's services aren't needed anymore. Cal Murray has missed the team two years in a row and Perkins seems to have more skill.

Ikeman83
02-05-2006, 01:48 AM
I think we should hang on to Peele. The guy works hard and there's a reason that he's the number two guy, it's because he's beat out Landon Trusty and Krause. I don't think we should let him go just yet. Anytime he's on the field and Drew gets him the ball he just plays with so much intensity. I remember the New England game where Drew checked down and hit him on a quick out and the CB came up to tackle him and Peele basically just lowered the boom on the CB. It was awesome. If anyone has a clip they should post it, because it was a quality moment.

I also like Peele's blocking.

ChampCharger
02-05-2006, 01:56 AM
I agree with Ike.
Peele was a great two guy and I think he was just waiting to breakout in his offensive game. He definitely could start for someother teams.

I hope he's not too expensive to hold on to.

nflphd
02-05-2006, 02:41 AM
He is a solid tight end. He has good hands and he's not that bad of a blocker.

boltfan_dgr
02-05-2006, 08:41 AM
I agree that we need to keep Peele. He's not spectacular, but he's solid. And what else do we have behind him? I haven't seen enough from Krause or Trusty to convince me they will be an upgrade over Peele as the number 2 TE.

TJ21
02-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Restricted free agent.

Good. With Godfrey gone we definately need a solid ILB and Wilhelm is. Although I wouldn't mind a first round pick. ;)

StevenSD
02-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Peele is good enough to stay, that man can take some huge hits.

Totally Bolted
02-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Exclusive Rights (3)

Haddad, Drew WR- Sign for TC
Hodges, Howard LB- Sign for TC
Murray, Cal RB- Release

Restricted Free Agents (6)

Cesaire, Jacques DE- Definite Resign
Cooper, Stephen LB- Definite Resign
Dielman, Kris G- Resign
Pinnock, Andrew RB- Resign? no Release.
Van Buren, Courtney T- Release
Wilhelm, Matt LB- Resign

Brees, Drew QB- Definite Resign
Caldwell, Reche WR- Release
Fletcher, Jamar DB- Definite Resign (Best Nickle CB in the league)
Hallen, Bob G- Sign for TC
Leber, Ben LB- Try to Sign
Peelle, Justin TE- Sign
Scott, DeQuincy DE- Definite Sign

I think AJ will bring back most of the guys. I believe CVB is done. He has duribility problems which is bad for a O-lineman. Caldwell's services aren't needed anymore. Cal Murray has missed the team two years in a row and Perkins seems to have more skill.

The only one I disagree with. Pinnock is replaceable. I'd draft for his spot.

bigbolthead21
02-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Restricted free agent.

1st round pk? wilhelm was not a first rd pk.

JoeMcRugby
02-09-2006, 10:29 PM
1st round pk? wilhelm was not a first rd pk.
Doesn't matter where the player was picked.

All that matters is the amount of money that the Chargers "tender" (aka offer) the restricted free agent.

If the Chargers make him a sufficient offer, another team that signs Wilhelm to an offer sheet has to give up a first round pick (or more) IF the Chargers decide not to match the offer.

That's why you rarely see restricted free agents who are tendered contracts (as the Chargers will surely do with Wilhelm) go to another team. :Bolt:

Chargeroo
02-14-2006, 05:10 PM

The Chargers entered the 2006 offseason with 19 unsigned team free agents. I will edit this post with any developments.

Re-signed (4)
Polk, Carlos LB - signed 1-year contract on 1/30.Exclusive Rights (3)

Haddad, Drew WR
Hodges, Howard LB
Murray, Cal RB

Restricted Free Agents (5)

Cooper, Stephen LB
Dielman, Kris G
Pinnock, Andrew RB
Van Buren, Courtney T
Wilhelm, Matt LB

Brees, Drew QB
Caldwell, Reche WR
Fletcher, Jamar DB
Hallen, Bob G
Leber, Ben LB
Peelle, Justin TE
Scott, DeQuincy DE There are some pretty important members of the team listed here and March 3rd, is only about 3 weeks away. I'm starting to wonder how many of these guys we're going to be seeing in a different uniform next year? I also wonder if the team is negotiating with them or if the player has already said he wants to move on?

knowledge1
02-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Leber, Pelle, and Caldwell will be gonzo.

I understand Pelle and Caldwell. They cracked under pressure when they were called on. But, Leber proved to be a valuable replacement while Merriman was sorting out the contract details. We could at least keep him for depth at LOLB

Ikeman83
02-14-2006, 06:07 PM
What on Earth are you taking about? Peele never "cracked under pressure" that I saw

Totally Bolted
02-15-2006, 01:55 PM
There are some pretty important members of the team listed here and March 3rd, is only about 3 weeks away. I'm starting to wonder how many of these guys we're going to be seeing in a different uniform next year? I also wonder if the team is negotiating with them or if the player has already said he wants to move on?

That is probably true for a few of the players. Which one's? I think Fletcher, Scott, and maybe Leber.
Guys like Van Buren, Cadwell, Halen, and Pinnock I think aren't going to get offered. JMHO

ptr77
02-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Doesn't matter where the player was picked.

All that matters is the amount of money that the Chargers "tender" (aka offer) the restricted free agent.

If the Chargers make him a sufficient offer, another team that signs Wilhelm to an offer sheet has to give up a first round pick (or more) IF the Chargers decide not to match the offer.

That's why you rarely see restricted free agents who are tendered contracts (as the Chargers will surely do with Wilhelm) go to another team. :Bolt:

Quick question Joe, which kind of free agent is it where you have to give up a pick in the round he was drafted? I always thought it was restricted but i must be wrong. Is it exclusive rights or am i imagining this?

Totally Bolted
02-15-2006, 09:45 PM
That is probably true for a few of the players. Which one's? I think Fletcher, Scott, and maybe Leber.
Guys like Van Buren, Cadwell, Halen, and Pinnock I think aren't going to get offered. JMHO

OK I was wrong on Pinnock. That's cool it was only an opinion. The Chargers know more than I do. So Good luck Pinnock hope you have a "super" year.

LTMvP61nizine
02-16-2006, 12:15 AM
I think Caldwell, Leber, Halen, and Flectcher maybe Peele will be gone...Possible one could be Scott I never heard anything on that guy and if he in the market theirs goin be several teams wanting him...

Ikeman83
02-16-2006, 11:34 AM
I think Caldwell, Leber, Halen, and Flectcher maybe Peele will be gone...Possible one could be Scott I never heard anything on that guy and if he in the market theirs goin be several teams wanting him...

You never heard anything on him so other teams are going to want him? We're going to resign DQ for depth.

knowledge1
02-17-2006, 12:45 PM
What on Earth are you taking about? Peele never "cracked under pressure" that I saw

maybe cracked under pressure was a bad term, but he disappeared in the Dallas game and when rotated in, that I saw' he was a non-factor.

Boltz2175
02-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Did anybody just see on Nfl.com that Chargers on definitely going to let brees test the market in free agency....huge mistake....huge mistake!!! Why wont they just sign him to a long term or slap a franchise tag on him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:9:

showtyme34
02-21-2006, 10:36 PM
If they just let Brees go I would be suprised. Unless he is looking to make unreal amounts of money there is no way I would let him go. If someone is constantly making the pro bowl then you almost am obligated to keep them on that team because who knows if anyone else is going to be able to step up to those types of performances. I like Rivers and maybe that is what they are thinking, but Rivers hasn't proven himself enough to just say goodbye Brees.

BoltsfanNYC
02-21-2006, 10:48 PM
we are just letting him go... we offered fair money. I trust aj he hasnt lowballed anyone... brees is young talented and a part of what we have built... he will offer a fair contract see other deals in the past 4 years...

riverhead
02-22-2006, 06:20 PM

True. But then again I can't remember Peele being under any real pressure. Maybe Dallas last year. I would like to see us utilize him better. I think he is a good blocker but I really would like to see some quick out passes his way to keep defenses honest opposite Gate's side.

RMANCIL
02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
True. But then again I can't remember Peele being under any real pressure. Maybe Dallas last year. I would like to see us utilize him better. I think he is a good blocker but I really would like to see some quick out passes his way to keep defenses honest opposite Gate's side.

He failed to stand out.........true he can block , his pass catching skills and yac are poor IMOP.

jazzing
02-22-2006, 07:19 PM
If AJ wants you he'll get you signed. If he doesn't care it'll depend on his offer and the market. In the case of Brees I believe the offer is intended to make him walk to ensure PR will start--It's not hard to see that is what AJ wants.

Chargeroo
02-22-2006, 09:41 PM
If AJ wants you he'll get you signed. If he doesn't care it'll depend on his offer and the market. In the case of Brees I believe the offer is intended to make him walk to ensure PR will start--It's not hard to see that is what AJ wants.Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see AJ as devious in that way and since he's the GM, I don't see why he'd have to be. I believe him when he says they put a value on each player and that's how they decide what to offer. I think they made an offer (or will soon) to all the people they want back and then it's up to each of them to agree or to try and negotiate something better (either from the Bolts or via FA). I think that's where they are with Brees right now.

I don't know what the offer to Drew is and neither do you but we both read that AJ tempered his offer because of the injury and Drews agent thinks the injury doesn't matter. I expect both sides are somewhat wrong in that way - and I hope they'll meet in the middle. Last we heard, "they are still talking".

Chargeroo
02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
He failed to stand out.........true he can block , his pass catching skills and yac are poor IMOP. I'd agree with that. I noticed AJ mentioned finding a TE via free agents but when I look at the FA list, I don't see any that are better than Peele. I think he'll have better luck finding one in the draft.

FishinFool74
02-22-2006, 10:22 PM
He failed to stand out.........true he can block , his pass catching skills and yac are poor IMOP.

I totally agree with you. He is a ggod blocker but has mediocre hands. Atleast that's waht I remember from the 2003, 2004 seasons. he had a few clutch catches in 2005 but that doesn't make up for the rest. If the deal is right I would definately keep hime for his blocking and mediocre hand skills.

jazzing
02-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see AJ as devious in that way and since he's the GM, I don't see why he'd have to be. I believe him when he says they put a value on each player and that's how they decide what to offer. I think they made an offer (or will soon) to all the people they want back and then it's up to each of them to agree or to try and negotiate something better (either from the Bolts or via FA). I think that's where they are with Brees right now.

I don't know what the offer to Drew is and neither do you but we both read that AJ tempered his offer because of the injury and Drews agent thinks the injury doesn't matter. I expect both sides are somewhat wrong in that way - and I hope they'll meet in the middle. Last we heard, "they are still talking".
wow I haven't read anywhere where Condon says Brees' injury doesn't matter. Can you supply me that link?

I think Nick Canepa see's something too:"It's house money, but what General Manager A.J. Smith does with the Spanos millions he's allotted is his business. It's Smith's football team to run, and thus far he's done a pretty damn good job of it.

But I know a little about football, and part of what little I know is that quarterbacks are valuable – especially good ones. Allowing a 27-year-old Pro Bowler to walk – and getting nothing in return – makes no sense. Unless there's more behind it.

I have a feeling there is. And, I don't believe Smith, who doesn't exactly have an Edward VIII-Wallis Simpson relationship with coach Marty Schottenheimer, is setting up his head coach to fail. That's idiotic, and Smith isn't an idiot. "
Link: http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060222/news_1s22canepa.html

Chargeroo
02-22-2006, 11:58 PM
wow I haven't read anywhere where Condon says Brees' injury doesn't matter. Can you supply me that link?

I think Nick Canepa see's something too:"It's house money, but what General Manager A.J. Smith does with the Spanos millions he's allotted is his business. It's Smith's football team to run, and thus far he's done a pretty damn good job of it.

But I know a little about football, and part of what little I know is that quarterbacks are valuable – especially good ones. Allowing a 27-year-old Pro Bowler to walk – and getting nothing in return – makes no sense. Unless there's more behind it.

I have a feeling there is. And, I don't believe Smith, who doesn't exactly have an Edward VIII-Wallis Simpson relationship with coach Marty Schottenheimer, is setting up his head coach to fail. That's idiotic, and Smith isn't an idiot. "
Link: http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060222/news_1s22canepa.htmlIt was on the radio a couple of days ago - look for a thread about it. I think (?) it mentioned KFMB in the thread name.

LTMvP61nizine
02-24-2006, 03:35 AM
I cant believe most of Chargers unrestricted free agent are testing the market.. AJ usually resign atleast some of them but I guess he has something in mind for free agency and the draft...

Boltfan92153
02-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Too bad Jamar may be gone, he was our best CB last year and always played hard.

Chargeroo
02-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Too bad Jamar may be gone, he was our best CB last year and always played hard.Jammer isn't a free agent and he's not going anywhere.

edbeck1
02-26-2006, 07:22 AM
He's talking about Jamar Fletcher.:Bolt:

Chargeroo
02-26-2006, 10:30 AM
He's talking about Jamar Fletcher.:Bolt:Thanks Ed. In that case, he's right. Fletcher said during the season that he wants to go somewhere that he can be a starter at so it's likely he won't be back.

hambone
02-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks Ed. In that case, he's right. Fletcher said during the season that he wants to go somewhere that he can be a starter at so it's likely he won't be back.

sucks fletcher was my fav CB on this team, oh well

baddass4444
02-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Hopefully Fletcher will test the market and not get great offers like he is expecting. Also the best money offers will probably be from bad teams, so hopefully he will resign with the Bolts

Sogvet17
03-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks Ed. In that case, he's right. Fletcher said during the season that he wants to go somewhere that he can be a starter at so it's likely he won't be back.

I think that Fletcher is not "starter" quality. He is perfect where we use him..in the nickle and dime packages....But, if he wants to test the market, I say, let him. If he gets a offer, great for him, if not, he will be back because he knows how good this team is and that he can be a part of something special....IMHO

baddass4444
03-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Anyone see we resigned Dielman: Here is what RotoWorld had to say about it::

Kris Dielman - Guard

Chargers tendered a one-year offer of $1.552 million to restricted free agent G Kris Dielman.
The first-round tender means it would be exceedingly costly to acquire the future Pro Bowler. Mar. 3 - 11:32 am et
Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

cold_boltz1987
03-03-2006, 11:12 PM
i think that the chargers when looking to a safety really should consider adam archuleta...i do belive he will be a free agent this year and as far as im concerned he could help out this team alot and how can we not be interested in Ty Law we have a young secondary why not bring hium in jammer is on his way up let Law help teach Florence and Davis...i dont get it but it seems like common sense to me

jazzing
03-04-2006, 12:25 AM
i think that the chargers when looking to a safety really should consider adam archuleta...i do belive he will be a free agent this year and as far as im concerned he could help out this team alot and how can we not be interested in Ty Law we have a young secondary why not bring hium in jammer is on his way up let Law help teach Florence and Davis...i dont get it but it seems like common sense to me

Archuleta would be a good addition but not so sure about Law unless he came at the right price since he is on the latter part of his career. I'm a strong believer in veteran leadership, but not bullish on bringing in "high salary" players 32 or older.

osgoodfan68
03-05-2006, 02:46 AM
Archuleta would be a good addition but not so sure about Law unless he came at the right price since he is on the latter part of his career. I'm a strong believer in veteran leadership, but not bullish on bringing in "high salary" players 32 or older.

adam archuleta and ty law are plain out old they are high priced loser and ty law got cut after only one season. you guys are forgeting about nate clemson and troy vincent

edbeck1
03-05-2006, 12:34 PM
I still think that Jamar Fletcher should be given a chance. The man is maturing into a good CB and hopefully he will get a promising offer.:Bolt:

jazzing
03-05-2006, 01:21 PM
adam archuleta and ty law are plain out old they are high priced loser and ty law got cut after only one season. you guys are forgeting about nate clemson and troy vincent

I think I made the point that age is a factor but with Archuleta -he's like 27 I believe--that's not too old. But, I do think there are a lot of factors to consider when signing a free agent. One of those is if they will compliment the chemistry of a team or disrupt it.

Chargeroo
03-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Archuletta is only 29, that's not old. Law is getting up there though.

I still think that Jamar Fletcher should be given a chance. The man is maturing into a good CB and hopefully he will get a promising offer I agree but he said all along that he wants to go somewhere else.

RCCthatsme
03-08-2006, 05:51 PM
...but if Brees goes, so do the play-offs. Chargers will suffer with Marty for the year, then dump him. If the intent was to let him go, it should have been a sign and trade. Letting a pro-bowl QB go, who is in the prime of his career at 28, w/o compensation is just plain DUMB. Drafting Maning/Rivers when they had Brees wasn't exactly brilliant. Letting him go with no compnesation to start a gut who has never played in the NFL. The box will be full and LT will have no where to run as they force Rivers to throw. Game over. I love the Chargers, but they are making critically bad moves at the worst possible time. The shelf life of a guy like LT is not that long. Most QB's take 2 or 3 years to get to the top of their game.

Man, I hope Brees comes back. I wold do that and trade Rivers for one heckova CB, and picks.

Marshall Law
03-08-2006, 06:17 PM
marty should be gone now. the way hes handled the Qb position is horrible. how do you let brees play the last game knowing that your going to have to shop rivers in the off season. now because he played brees and he got hurt we get no compensation for him. nice coaching job moron. and maybe this year we can make LT sit the first game. quite honestly i think the chargers missed the boat on free agency already by not grabbin a new head coach.

TJ21
03-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Archuletta is only 29, that's not old. Law is getting up there though.

Archuletta would also be a great compliment to a secondary that likes to hit hard if not turn everything over. Jue, Jammer and even Sammy (The Bust) Davis are known for their hard tackles.

foley5
03-10-2006, 09:01 PM
archuleta, I agree....he is a risk taking playmaker/tough hitter like harrison was

GrnLntrn420
03-11-2006, 12:09 PM
If we lose Brees to the free agent market which by the way started last night we are gonna be in the same situation that we were in before we had a stable quarterback. I am not knocking on Rivers, he was a great college quarterback but Leaf was as well. The main reason Drew hasn't signed the contract that San Diego had offered him was that his agent said they pulled some of the incentives off the table. That just says to me that the agent wants more money cause he does get paid by the size of the contract.:Bolt:

Shamrock
03-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Vikings | Leber will visit team Saturday
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:15:32 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports free agent LB Ben Leber (Chargers) will visit with the Minnesota Vikings on Saturday, March 11. It is expected he will sign a contract to play with the team.

LA Boltman
03-11-2006, 02:23 PM
...but if Brees goes, so do the play-offs. Chargers will suffer with Marty for the year, then dump him. If the intent was to let him go, it should have been a sign and trade. Letting a pro-bowl QB go, who is in the prime of his career at 28, w/o compensation is just plain DUMB. Drafting Maning/Rivers when they had Brees wasn't exactly brilliant. Letting him go with no compnesation to start a gut who has never played in the NFL. The box will be full and LT will have no where to run as they force Rivers to throw. Game over. I love the Chargers, but they are making critically bad moves at the worst possible time. The shelf life of a guy like LT is not that long. Most QB's take 2 or 3 years to get to the top of their game.

Man, I hope Brees comes back. I wold do that and trade Rivers for one heckova CB, and picks.

I also hope Brees comes back (don't think he will though), but I've seen it posted on several occasions that if he signs elsewhere, we DO get a compensatory draft pick out of it. I don't know where they get that info, but it's been posted numerous times.

BCBoltFan
03-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Texans | Team visits with Hallen
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:22:16

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans visited with free agent OL Bob Hallen (Chargers) Saturday, March 11. The team would like to sign him

kffl.com (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl)

yonas
03-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Jerome Solomon, of the Boston Globe, reports the San Diego Chargers have an interest in free agent WR Andre' Davis (Patriots), according to agent Kennard McGuire.

osgoodfan68
03-12-2006, 06:51 AM
we got marlon we got marlon we got marlon haha a hard hitting saftey marlon at free and darnell bing at strong that mean death to all

TheIceCreamMan
03-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Now since Andre Davis singned with the bills....AJ go after Antonio bryant!!!!!!!!

BoltFanBo
03-12-2006, 10:23 PM
...but if Brees goes, so do the play-offs. Chargers will suffer with Marty for the year, then dump him. If the intent was to let him go, it should have been a sign and trade. Letting a pro-bowl QB go, who is in the prime of his career at 28, w/o compensation is just plain DUMB. Drafting Maning/Rivers when they had Brees wasn't exactly brilliant.

What? They had to draft a QB, Brees was on the edge of being horrible. It wasn't until the drafting of Rivers that Brees elevated his game. Why does everyone think it's going to be doom and gloom with Rivers. How many games did Brady play when he took over. I think the Pats did pretty good that year. What about big Ben. Yeah he made the playoffs also.

Rivers will be fine. Everyones talking about 8 men in the box to stop LT, Diddn't they do that against Brees? I think it will be better as Rivers (though not a Favre cannon) will throw the deep out better than Brees, That's gotta help That's gotta back thoughs safteys up.

It's just bad luck Brees got injured and now the Chargers will get nothing for him. Bad timing. But with that being the case, Rivers is now the guy. And he'll hand off to LT, throw short to medium passes to Gate. Just like Brees. And maybe, just maybe Parker won't have to hold up on a deep ball for a change.

With a run blocking guard the Bolts will win the West......

nflphd
03-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Now since Andre Davis singned with the bills....AJ go after Antonio bryant!!!!!!!!

I like Bryant but I think AJ is looking at Corner and possibly OG or OT for the rest of FA. I read in the union tribune yesterday that if Moulds gets released from the Bills, he may get reunited with his old GM AJ Smith of the Chargers. I'll believe that when I see it. AJ signing a huge name like Moulds isn't happening, but there's always hope.

-nflphd

yonas
03-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Chargers | Team invites Jamison to San Diego
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:10:13 -0800

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Fresno State WR Jermaine Jamison has been invited by the San Diego Chargers to San Diego on April 11-12 when they bring in additional draft prospects.

BlueMachine
03-14-2006, 03:14 AM
Do any of you Charger Guru's know the exact status of Oben's health...I'd appreciate no "i think" answers.

Boltfan92153
03-14-2006, 07:05 PM
His foot had a torn ligament and that caused him to miss many end of season games. The injury at this point does not seem major enough to hold him out next season at least.

ftwbolt
03-15-2006, 07:48 AM
The Redskins (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/14/AR2006031400957.html) are believed to be pursuing San Diego cornerback Jamar Fletcher for their vacant nickel back spot. Fletcher, 26, is a former first-round pick of Miami who had one sack and one interception last year. . . . The agent for Redskins free agent defensive lineman Demetric Evans said he is talking to several other teams and lining up visits for Evans, who provided depth at tackle and end. . . . To clarify the structure of Archuleta's contract, it includes $10 million in guaranteed money as part of a six-year, $30 million deal, the richest signed by a safety in NFL history. According to a NFLPA source, there is a $5 million signing bonus and a $5 million roster bonus due in March 2007, which is prorated as a $1 million bonus per season for salary cap purposes, keeping Archuleta's cap hit lower.

Dan40
03-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks, guys, for putting updates in here about remaining UFAs.

We certainly don't need to waste another thread on Bob Hallen! :D

IComeInPeace
03-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Speaking of Bob Hallen...
I'm a Browns fan and we signed this guy to 2 year a contract yesterday pretty much under the radar. I can find very little info on him and that he get's so little jaw time from you folks I guess says alot. I suspect he's just going to be training camp fodder but I'm hoping you guys can give me a bit of info on him.

Is he a decent backup? Smarts, strength, speed, skills? Or am I right, is he just camp chum.

Thanks in advance. I'll be checking back daily.

(San Diego vs. Cleveland, 2006 AFC Championship Game - can I get a hell Yea!!!)

theiceweasel
03-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Bob Hallen
2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 65

Comment:
Shows excellent awareness has a good feel for blocking schemes and almost always gets into good position. Plays with sound overall technique, rarely makes mistakes and does all of the little things right. Plays with good leverage, comes off the ball hard and can get some pop at the point of attack. However, Hallen lacks ideal size, he isn't a great athlete and he can't afford to make any mistakes. Lacks the bulk to engulf undersized defenders and doesn't show the ability to wear defenders down over the course of the game. Lacks ideal change of direction skills, struggles to redirect, doesn't show the ability to adjust to the moving target and must take the proper angle to be an effective downfield blocker.

Here's the link to Cleveland announcing signing Bob: http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/arts/5229.0.html

IComeInPeace
03-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Yea, I saw the Browns site article, thanks for the Scouts INc write up. I guess I was looking for y'alls take, the educated fan perspective. Anyway, thanks.

theiceweasel
03-15-2006, 04:31 PM
I think he'll be a decent veteran backup who can play both guard and center. That's the role he filled here and did okay in.

Dan40
03-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Yea, I saw the Browns site article, thanks for the Scouts INc write up. I guess I was looking for y'alls take, the educated fan perspective. Anyway, thanks.
Hallen is a hard-worker, a lunch pail type-guy with a good attitude who knows his role is going to be backup.

He has limited talent, though, and if he breaks into the starting lineup, you know you have some trouble on the offensive line.

He does provide some depth though, he can play center and either guard position, so you can use the extra roster space on an other position.

BTW, I love the Browns. If I had a second favorite team (which I don't), it might be Cleveland. I love the history and the fans commitment. Great franchise.

TJ21
03-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Any chance we get Reche back if he doesn't get signed. I've heard rumors of the 49ers being interested.

TJ21
03-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Hallen is a hard-worker, a lunch pail type-guy with a good attitude who knows his role is going to be backup.

He has limited talent, though, and if he breaks into the starting lineup, you know you have some trouble on the offensive line.

He does provide some depth though, he can play center and either guard position, so you can use the extra roster space on an other position.

BTW, I love the Browns. If I had a second favorite team (which I don't), it might be Cleveland. I love the history and the fans commitment. Great franchise.
Me too. The Browns are a very admirable organization and I have a Riversrat-like admiration for Charlie Frye. That being said, Frye's going to get fried by us this year. ;)

PowderBlues17
03-15-2006, 10:48 PM
I understand AJ's belief in building through the draft, but the chargers have been progressing the past couple years, and we need a better supporting cast to keep that up with Rivers at the riegns. With that i think the cchargers shoudl try to make a few more splashes into free agency. one big name being Lavar Arrington, hes asking to much now but i have a feeling he wont get the money he's asking for.

theiceweasel
03-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Any chance we get Reche back if he doesn't get signed. I've heard rumors of the 49ers being interested.
Hopefully not, he had his chances and really failed to make the most of them. We have enough marginally decent recievers on the roster, there isn't room for Reche.

Chargeroo
03-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Hopefully not, he had his chances and really failed to make the most of them. We have enough marginally decent recievers on the roster, there isn't room for Reche.
I disagree. Two years ago, before his knee injury he was out leading WR. I hope they do bring him back. He worked very hard to make it back from the knee injury and I think they should give him a shot to compete for a job. If someone else beats him out, so be it, but why send him packing when we don't have a replacement? Right now we only have two WR's that have been better than him. We have hope that V. Jackson will be better, but at the end of last season Jackson was behind him on the depth chart.

theiceweasel
03-16-2006, 10:27 AM
I disagree. Two years ago, before his knee injury he was out leading WR. I hope they do bring him back. He worked very hard to make it back from the knee injury and I think they should give him a shot to compete for a job. If someone else beats him out, so be it, but why send him packing when we don't have a replacement? Right now we only have two WR's that have been better than him. We have hope that V. Jackson will be better, but at the end of last season Jackson was behind him on the depth chart.
Career Stats:
Catches: 76
Yards: 950
Average: 12.5
Long: 58
TD: 7
Fumbles: 4
Fumbles Lost: 3

Looks more like what you'd want in a single season from a WR, minus the fumbles.

I believe the coaching staff lost a lot of confidence in him, and frankly I don't blame them. There are a few plays that notoriously defined his season last year, but the one that sticks out in my mind is from the Indy game. Now I don't know what the call was, but when Brees underthrew him in the end zone it looked like Reche just gave up on the ball and didn't even attempt to challenge the DB for it even though he was in position to at least bat it away.

If they do bring him back, I hope it's with a one year contract loaded with incentives and make him fight for a roster spot. We have Keenan, E.P, Osgood, and V.J. and I bet you all four of those WRs will be on the team. Since we historically carry 5 WRs and I imagine there will be one more picked up in the draft along with the numerous ones invited to camp, there will be a ton of competition for that last roster spot. Frankly I just don't see Caldwell stepping up his game in training camp after regressing last season.

GrnLntrn420
03-16-2006, 02:39 PM
What I really don't understand is why A.J. is sitting on his thumbs if we have so much Cap Room why are we not more active in the Free Agent market? I look at all these other teams that are just gobbling up all of these free agents like they are candy and we have so far signed one player not to put a knock on Marlon McCree, Is this how the team is gonna be ran for the next few years or is someone going to take a sock of nickles to A.J.s head and knock some damn sense into it? Everyone is complaining about our Defensive secondary which really blows against the pass. Why have we not had many more secondary players made a stop in SD. I can tell you why because no other player wants to be given the brees by A.J. Smith. I may sound bitter and that is because I am we just let a Pro-Bowl QB walk away and sign with another team. When do get to play the Saints again that way Brees who knows our system like the knob on the back of his head picks us apart play by play.

Dago81Sd
03-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Would of been good if we would have signed Givens.

SunDripDevil
03-16-2006, 04:50 PM
I must say it upsets me some what that the chargers havent brought in some of the veteran talent thats available at cb and OL. With that said, i think we should all sit back and relax, wasnt it AJ smith that brought us out of the basement of the afc, he picked up Gates, Castillo, Merriman, Igor. Hes done a stand up job at evaluating talent.
This leads me to believe that Rivers is going to be better then brees, he has a quicker release, more mobility, a stonger arm, taller in the pocket. He just needs to learn the right reads which im sure he can do.
Yeah it does urk me the FA signings, wow Jue and McCree the last two years! 25 mil under the cap and we cant sign a big name! what the hell!
p.s. Archuleta is not old(if so, LT and Brees would be to old as well) he just sucks in coverage, at thats what we need the most a safety that does well in coverage

Chargeroo
03-16-2006, 06:04 PM
These words of wisdom are from the Huddle Report -

The teams that have a lot of holes to fill with a lot of room under the cap are smart to wait until the smoke clears until they jump into the free agent mix. They can sign players who are interested in winning and less interested in money being the only factor to except a contract.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My own words -
I agree with the writer, at least to some degree. If you needed a QB real bad and a great young QB was on the list, I guess I'd go right after him like the Saints did. However, our needs are for depth at the LB position and o-line help. We already added a Safety. As I understand it, AJ did contact Bentley's agent but Bentley wanted to go to Cleveland. The other available help for the o-line appears not to appeal to AJ so why not wait for the dust to settle. I think there are three decent OT's still unsigned so I'm still hopeful he can land one.

IComeInPeace
03-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Me too. The Browns are a very admirable organization and I have a Riversrat-like admiration for Charlie Frye. That being said, Frye's going to get fried by us this year. ;)

Thanks guys. Our main board is down right now (due to those wierd David Givens signing with the Browns reports that were floating around at 12:01 saturday) but I posted the info on another popular Browns board. It's certainly appreciated. Browns fans are still pretty split on Frye but I think this year might will tell all. Thanks again and good luck this season.

robbass
03-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Yea, obviously the Spanos family cares more about saving money than making a winner on the field year in and year out. We let Brees go with no compensation and havent addresed our o line. Our o line sucks, just imagine if we had Kansas Citys. We need to resign Jamar Fletcher at least to have a nickel back. Personally, I would have him and Jammer start. He did so well with limited playing time. But, as usual Aj wont sign him unless he plays for under his value. We need to reward players not throw them under the bus.

edbeck1
03-17-2006, 04:34 PM
We think alike. Jamar Fletcher would make AJ look like a genius if given a chance. :Bolt:

Chargeroo
03-17-2006, 07:25 PM
We think alike. Jamar Fletcher would make AJ look like a genius if given a chance. :Bolt:
BUT - Jamar Fletcher said in mid year that he wanted to go elsewhere.

robbass
03-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Thats cuz he wasnt given chance to start. I think he played better than Florence. I know alot of you disagree. But he was always around the ball when he played. Marty only used him as nickel back. He deserves chance to start and compete to be starter. Im sure with the right deal he would re consider. Im sure he knows how we low ball players and doesnt wanna get stressed out when another team will pay more.

foty89
03-18-2006, 05:34 AM
Thats cuz he wasnt given chance to start. I think he played better than Florence. I know alot of you disagree. But he was always around the ball when he played. Marty only used him as nickel back. He deserves chance to start and compete to be starter. Im sure with the right deal he would re consider. Im sure he knows how we low ball players and doesnt wanna get stressed out when another team will pay more.

I just have one question to ask you here. Is there anyone in the organizaton, besides some players, that you actually like and think is doing a good job?

I am just wondering because you hate the ownership, hate the GM and now hate the coach too.

Go Bolts!
:Bolt: :Bolt: :Bolt:

edbeck1
03-18-2006, 06:44 AM
Stupid is as stupid does. Presently, the Chargers are consistantly making mistakes, Fletchers treatment is a big one. Once Team Management starts building in a responsible manner, the fans will fall in love again.:Football:

Chargeroo
03-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Stupid is as stupid does. Presently, the Chargers are consistantly making mistakes, Fletchers treatment is a big one. Once Team Management starts building in a responsible manner, the fans will fall in love again.:Football:

Originally Posted by edbeck1
We think alike. Jamar Fletcher would make AJ look like a genius if given a chance.

By the way, it was AJ that brought him here in the Seau trade.

It's up to Marty to decide who starts and who doesn't. Also, when Fletcher plays, he's not asked to cover the #1 or #2 WR - he gets the #3 or #4 man to cover - that probably makes him look a bit better than he is.

Maybe AJ should try brainwashing him??

robbass
03-18-2006, 01:29 PM
I just have one question to ask you here. Is there anyone in the organizaton, besides some players, that you actually like and think is doing a good job?

I am just wondering because you hate the ownership, hate the GM and now hate the coach too.

Go Bolts!
:Bolt: :Bolt: :Bolt:

I love everyone in the organization. I'am just frustrated and upset of the team turning in the wrong direction. I'am mad at AJ for the Drew debacle, the way it was handled and being afraid to take risks on free agents. I think if he didnt get screwed over with the Boston signing, maybe, he wouldn't be so afraid to pull the trigger on some deals. Also, Fletcher was a personal favorite of me, I feel he wasn't given adequate playing time. I like Marty, and support him 100%, I just wish AJ would sign Fletch, and let him compete for a starting job. As AJs motto is 3 deep at every position. Fletch showed great sign of playmaking in limited time. It's too bad we're probably letting him go. I pray we dont have a rookie corner playing nickel this year. It looks more and more that thats the case. I just dont see AJ signing Fletch or anyone else who canreally impact our secondary because of not wanting to spend money on the right things.

LightningField
03-19-2006, 03:05 AM
I love everyone in the organization. I'am just frustrated and upset of the team turning in the wrong direction. I'am mad at AJ for the Drew debacle, the way it was handled and being afraid to take risks on free agents. I think if he didnt get screwed over with the Boston signing, maybe, he wouldn't be so afraid to pull the trigger on some deals. Also, Fletcher was a personal favorite of me, I feel he wasn't given adequate playing time. I like Marty, and support him 100%, I just wish AJ would sign Fletch, and let him compete for a starting job. As AJs motto is 3 deep at every position. Fletch showed great sign of playmaking in limited time. It's too bad we're probably letting him go. I pray we dont have a rookie corner playing nickel this year. It looks more and more that thats the case. I just dont see AJ signing Fletch or anyone else who canreally impact our secondary because of not wanting to spend money on the right things.

Cheer up Bob. In the immortal words of Donald sutherland in Kelly's Heroes - "Have a little faith baby". Beats hell out of the Beathard era. Winning is contagious and Bolts have been doing it lately. Drew Bledsoe (DB) leaves and Backup QB is better than anyone thought. Drew Brees (DB) leaves and maybe backup is better than anyone thought. He has had two years to learn the system, so should be better than any rookie would be. What was his completion pct. at NC State, over 70% wasn't it? It may give the defense some extra incentive as well to have a good year.:19:

Jabroni
03-19-2006, 03:08 AM
I agree with you Robbass. As much as I like the Chargers and respect their aims in winning a Super Bowl, I think what we're seeing is a small market (revenue-wise) NFL franchise that pursues a cost-efficient approach in building its on-field product. The Spanos family did well to bring in A.J. Smith, a prudent, calculating, cost-efficient type-GM - they tell him how much he can spend irrespective of the cap, and he uses his talent evaluation skills to fit guys into the system considering the constraints he has to work with. Also, Smith's penchant for bringing in "Charger players" or good character or team guys serves a two-fold purpose - 1) it works to provide good chemistry and team cohesiveness by bringing in guys who will be team-first, and 2)by bringing in guys who aren't prima donna's, they won't fuss as much about us not being among the league's pernennial best year after year due to our unwillingness to spend the big bucks. The big bucks don't necessarily translate into Championships, but when we are two-three players away from having an absolutely outstanding team and we don't spend the money on veteran free agents, that tells me there is another agenda with ownership. I get the feeling Smith's hands are more tied than we know. Pray for a solid tackle/guard before the year starts b/c we will rely on LT and the runninggame more than ever with a first year qb learning his craft.:Beer:

LightningField
03-19-2006, 03:10 AM

By the way, it was AJ that brought him here in the Seau trade.

It's up to Marty to decide who starts and who doesn't. Also, when Fletcher plays, he's not asked to cover the #1 or #2 WR - he gets the #3 or #4 man to cover - that probably makes him look a bit better than he is.

Maybe AJ should try brainwashing him??

Great picture of Bambi. He is a lot of the reason I became a Bolts fan years ago.:19:

Mr. Heisman
03-19-2006, 03:18 AM
Cheer up Bob. In the immortal words of Donald sutherland in Kelly's Heroes - "Have a little faith baby". Beats hell out of the Beathard era. Winning is contagious and Bolts have been doing it lately. Drew Bledsoe (DB) leaves and Backup QB is better than anyone thought. Drew Brees (DB) leaves and maybe backup is better than anyone thought. He has had two years to learn the system, so should be better than any rookie would be. What was his completion pct. at NC State, over 70% wasn't it? It may give the defense some extra incentive as well to have a good year.:19:

LOL!!! Oh man... do you really believe all that stuff you just wrote! are you comparing Rivers to Tom Brady....hahaha! Geez why not use Joe Montana! Yeah Rivers will produce like Brady or Big Ben for everyone that compares people to big names that made their name, you are those people who think in basketball oh the next JORDAN or Bird ect.! Rivers will never be the big ben. he won't be Brady! Brady had nothing to lose no pressure, same with ben! He came in and just played....Rivers has a lot to prove! He was in the trade for Eli and everyone in NFL loves those Mannings so he has to fit on platform with them! Plus now with all the Brees talk he has more to prove! More to prove mainly to the TEAM!!! They all backed Brees 100% Gates, KMac, Neal, Marty, and LT!!! They all came out and said it on TV Newspapers they never once said uh....If brees is here he is here! if not we will move on without him! ....No that was Aj! and only Aj! Hey Aj try picking up a phone and throw a bone to Brees be4 gay Saints grab him! Give him atleast a cookie to sign, don't lie about how you wanted all 3 qb's to be here when you didn't do ANYTHING to keep Brees! Nothing you gave him one offer and then just kept going down and when F/a hit you grab your cell and called Minter and other players never once a 1 min call to Drew or his Agent! Ya okay you really put effort to keep all 3! Give me a break! Hope you don't get runned out of town like Bobby Beth did!

Chargeroo
03-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Great picture of Bambi. He is a lot of the reason I became a Bolts fan years ago.:19:
He was sure great - I always thought he alone was worth the price of a ticket. I wish we could find another like him now!

Chargeroo
03-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Unrestricted Free Agents Lost (4)

Unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents (3)

Fletcher, Jamar DB
Peelle, Justin TE
Scott, DeQuincy DE

Haddad, Drew WR*
Hodges, Howard LB*
Murray, Cal RB*
Van Buren, Courtney T* We're sure not doing well at keeping our UFA's this year. I'm guessing the recent signing of the FA Tight End means Peele won't be back. I did read that DQ may be back. Will he be the only one?

MSSDC55
03-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Peelle, Justin TE signed with Miami Saturday according to ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2375948

56lightsout56
03-20-2006, 12:54 PM
I like to first focus on what the division is doing then the conference. based upon the Division moves so far, I think we are in pretty good shape. here is a matrix from fox sports (i'll post the link after it) but I think with a few more shrewd moves by AJ we will be in a very good position:

DENVER BRONCOS
Team Page (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=7) | Roster (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamRoster?categoryId=67044) | Depth Chart (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamDepthChart?categoryId=67044)

2005 season record: 13-3 (1st place in AFC West)
ADDITIONS (2)SUBTRACTIONS (4)RE-SIGNED (6)
DE Kenard Lang
LB Nate Webster RB Mike Anderson
DE Marco Coleman
DE Trevor Pryce
TE Jeb Putzier S Sam Brandon
RB Ron Dayne
DE John Engelberger
LS/TE Mike Leach
OT Matt Lepsis
DT Gerard Warren

http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/NFL/TeamLogo/Medium/12.gif KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Team Page (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=12) | Roster (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamRoster?categoryId=67049) | Depth Chart (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamDepthChart?categoryId=67049)

2005 season record: 10-6 (2nd place in AFC West)
ADDITIONS (1)SUBTRACTIONS (5)RE-SIGNED (3)RB Quentin Griffin

LB Shawn Barber
QB Todd Collins
CB Dexter McCleon
LB Gary Stills
CB Eric Warfield
LS Kendall Gammon
DE Carlos Hall
QB Damon Huard

http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/NFL/TeamLogo/Medium/13.gif OAKLAND RAIDERS
Team Page (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=13) | Roster (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamRoster?categoryId=67050) | Depth Chart (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamDepthChart?categoryId=67050)

2005 season record: 4-12 (4th place in AFC West)
ADDITIONS (0)SUBTRACTIONS (5)RE-SIGNED (3)None
QB Kerry Collins
DB Renaldo Hill
OG Ron Stone
CB Denard Walker
DT Ted Washington S Derrick Gibson
OG Corey Hulsey
TE Randal Williams

http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/NFL/TeamLogo/Medium/24.gif SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
Team Page (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=24) | Roster (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamRoster?categoryId=67068) | Depth Chart (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamDepthChart?categoryId=67068)

2005 season record: 9-7 (3rd place in AFC West)
ADDITIONS (2)SUBTRACTIONS (4)RE-SIGNED (5)S Marlon McCree
TE Aaron Shea

QB Drew Brees
WR Reche Caldwell
OG Bob Hallen
LB Ben Leber
S Jerry Wilson S Clinton Hart
DE Jacques Cesaire
WR Kassim Osgood
LB Carlos Polk
FB Andrew Pinnock

you can view the rest of the league here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5421700

56lightsout56
03-20-2006, 12:55 PM
it didnt post like it looks in the quotes, so its best to just go to the link

LarryAW
03-20-2006, 08:04 PM
We're sure not doing well at keeping our UFA's this year. I'm guessing the recent signing of the FA Tight End means Peele won't be back. I did read that DQ may be back. Will he be the only one?

The Chargers didn't want to re-sign Drew for the $10 guaranteed he wanted. The Chargers didn't want to re-sign Leber, Hallen, Caldwell, or Peele. The Chargers signed Shea to replace Peele. The Chargers, however, do want DeQuincy Scott and Jamar Fletcher.

robbass
03-21-2006, 01:38 AM
They want jamar Fletcher and DQ? Why aren't they signed yet then. We will loose Jamar and its unfortunate as I am a huge supporter of him.

BoltsfanNYC
03-21-2006, 01:58 AM
chargers want RUNYAN and CB-ILB and Playmaking safety! oh and a good draft

ftwbolt
03-21-2006, 01:33 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/20/AR2006032001590.html

The Redskins also contacted free agent cornerback Jamar Fletcher, a 2001 first-round pick from Wisconsin who spent the last two seasons in San Diego.

Fletcher, however, has not visited the Redskins and has drawn interest from other teams

Shamrock
03-22-2006, 11:27 AM
The Chargers, however, do want DeQuincy Scott and Jamar Fletcher.
I'd like to see SD re-sign Fletcher, as he is a good nickel/dime CB, but I don't believe he's starting material. He would still have to compete to hold his job even if he was re-signed.

DQ Scott is a high energy guy, and a very good leader with an outstanding locker room presence. However, he is short on talent, and it wouldn't be hard to upgrade that roster spot talentwise with a late round draft pick, UDFA, or even one of the borderline UDFA's from last year. Marty loves DQ, but I don't see AJ paying him much over the minimum (with little or no signing bonus) to return.

drangus
03-22-2006, 11:54 AM
I'd like to see SD re-sign Fletcher, as he is a good nickel/dime CB, but I don't believe he's starting material. He would still have to compete to hold his job even if he was re-signed.

DQ Scott is a high energy guy, and a very good leader with an outstanding locker room presence. However, he is short on talent, and it wouldn't be hard to upgrade that roster spot talentwise with a late round draft pick, UDFA, or even one of the borderline UDFA's from last year. Marty loves DQ, but I don't see AJ paying him much over the minimum (with little or no signing bonus) to return.

agree with both of your assesments and definitley fletcher is more of a priority at this time as well

personally I don't have anything against scott but his antics are overrated in my opinion and he clearly

does not fit into our defensive front system at either OLB or DE---thisis why I started a thread last august

about scott getting cut but marty was against it--he could be a locker room spy for marty

raiderkillah
03-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Dyou guys realize that a lot of the teams considered weak in our schedule are stockin up. Look at the Cards gettin the Edge, the Browns gettin significant help through free agency aka McGinnest, and the Titans are also Makin moves. So by being way too passive in free agency we've opened the door for teams that we play this year and in the future too. I know not like we had any concern gettin James. What happened to gettin a veteran corner. So we got McCree, I honestly dont think its enough!

drangus
03-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Dyou guys realize that a lot of the teams considered weak in our schedule are stockin up. Look at the Cards gettin the Edge, the Browns gettin significant help through free agency aka McGinnest, and the Titans are also Makin moves. So by being way too passive in free agency we've opened the door for teams that we play this year and in the future too. I know not like we had any concern gettin James. What happened to gettin a veteran corner. So we got McCree, I honestly dont think its enough!

this is a really young team and our players are getting better--hardwick, olshansky, dielman,

merriman, castillo, phillips, the secondary should improve as jammer showed well toward the end

of the season, VJ could emerge, olivea might be moved to G, cooper might supplant godfrey

for good, mccree makes the secondary better---I believe PR will improve the offense---hang in their

and keep the faith--teams don't have to add FAs to improve--hold your horses until after the draft

and we can see how those players pan out in TC

Shamrock
03-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Lions | VanBuren signing announced
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:19:56 -0800

The Detroit Lions have signed free agent OT Courtney VanBuren (Chargers) to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

TJ21
03-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Lions | VanBuren signing announced
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:19:56 -0800

The Detroit Lions have signed free agent OT Courtney VanBuren (Chargers) to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Trying to give their 4 potential starters some protection huh? :)

619chargerguy
03-23-2006, 05:29 PM
What I want to know is why they have not contacted Ty Law or Charles Woodson? We already know they(Chargers) need corners? I don't understand why they have not tried at least to make a move on these guys? They need a solid veteran or veterans..... If they don't get any good corner, we are pretty much looking at the same inconsistent DBs....

The Chargers entered the 2006 offseason with 19 unsigned team free agents. I will edit this post with any developments.

Re-signed (6)

Dielman, Kris G - signed 1-year contract on 3/20.
Pinnock, Andrew RB - signed 5-year contract on 2/15.
Polk, Carlos LB - signed 1-year contract on 1/30.
Restricted Free Agents - Offers tendered. (2)

More info. (http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=29123)

Cooper, Stephen LB
Wilhelm, Matt LB

Unrestricted Free Agents Lost (5)

Peelle, Justin TE, signed with Dolphins on 3/20.

Unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents (2)

Fletcher, Jamar DB
Scott, DeQuincy DE

Haddad, Drew WR*
Hodges, Howard LB*
Murray, Cal RB*
Van Buren, Courtney T*

*VanBuren was a restricted free agent but was not tendered an offer. He is now an unrestricted free agent. Haddad, Hodges and Murray were exclusive rights free agents, but were not tendered offers. They are now unrestricted free agents.

Free agent FAQ

Thanks, Joel, for the info!

What is the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent?

In any year that is a “capped” year, players become restricted free agents when they complete three accrued seasons and their contract expires. Unrestricted free agents have completed four or more accrued seasons with an expired contract.

What constitutes an "accrued season?"

Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.

Other than accrued seasons, what determines a restricted free agent?

He has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his old club. He can negotiate with any club through April 21. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him because it has the "right of first refusal." If the old club does not match the offer, it can possibly receive draft-choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player’s rights revert to his old club on April 21.

What determines an unrestricted free agent?

A player with four or more accrued seasons whose contract has expired. He is free to sign with any club, with no compensation owed to his old club, through July 22 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later). On July 23, his rights revert to his old club if it made a "tender" offer (110 percent of last year's salary) to him by June 1. His old club then has until the Tuesday after the 10th week of the season (November 14) to sign him. If he does not sign by November 14, he must sit out the season. If no tender is offered by June 1, the player can be signed by any club at any time throughout the season.

What determines a transition player?

His club must offer a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation.

What determines a franchise player?

A club can designate one franchise player (or one transition player) in any given “capped” year. The salary level offer by a player's old club determines what type of franchise player he is. An "exclusive" franchise player -- not free to sign with another club -- is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries for 2006 at the player's position as of April 21, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, he becomes a "non-exclusive" franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.

Can a club decide to withdraw its franchise or transition designations on a player? If so, can it then use them on other players?

A club can withdraw its franchise or transition designations and the player then automatically becomes an unrestricted free agent either immediately or when his contract expires. It can name a new franchise player or transition player the next year. A club can designate a transition player in lieu of a franchise player any year.[/quote]

Mikkel
03-24-2006, 04:36 AM
Copied more or less verbally from a danish site:

DeQuincy Scott to Minnesota
http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_OBJECTNAME_VikingsSignThree32306.html

Courtney Van Buren to Detroit
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9331602

Stephen Cooper is back
http://www.chargers.com/news/pr_headline_detail.cfm?press_release_key=669

TBOLTZCALI
03-24-2006, 10:03 AM
this is a really young team and our players are getting better--hardwick, olshansky, dielman,

merriman, castillo, phillips, the secondary should improve as jammer showed well toward the end

of the season, VJ could emerge, olivea might be moved to G, cooper might supplant godfrey

for good, mccree makes the secondary better---I believe PR will improve the offense---hang in their

and keep the faith--teams don't have to add FAs to improve--hold your horses until after the draft

and we can see how those players pan out in TC
Didnt we do this last year? Keep the same team? Didnt improve us one bit!!

theiceweasel
03-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Didnt we do this last year? Keep the same team? Didnt improve us one bit!! So you don't consider Merriman or Castillo improvements? Someone should tell the NFL they gave the Defensive Rookie of the Year award to the wrong guy, cause obviously he was a dud.
:rolleyes:

Sirbob
03-24-2006, 11:06 AM
So you don't consider Merriman or Castillo improvements? Someone should tell the NFL they gave the Defensive Rookie of the Year award to the wrong guy, cause obviously he was a dud.
:rolleyes: I like the way our team deals with free agency, if its not broke don't fix it (just get a backup). Imagine if Castillo is better in 2006? and Merriman...

I was wondering about Fletcher did he go the the Skins or is he in limbo?

Chargeroo
03-24-2006, 12:07 PM
What I want to know is why they have not contacted Ty Law or Charles Woodson? We already know they(Chargers) need corners? I don't understand why they have not tried at least to make a move on these guys? They need a solid veteran or veterans..... If they don't get any good corner, we are pretty much looking at the same inconsistent DBs....

How do you know they haven't? Do you have a source or do you just assume that because they haven't been signed?

In truth, I really doubt that any team will give top money to a guy like Woodson that has such a big injury problem the last few years. As for Ty Law, he's always been all about getting the top dollar. That makes me think he's not on AJ's list. Also, I read some on the Jet's site and they were complaining that he gives up a lot of completions and a lot of penalties that hurt them. They seem to be glad he's not returning.

Laff7
03-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Also, I read some on the Jet's site and they were complaining that he gives up a lot of completions and a lot of penalties that hurt them. They seem to be glad he's not returning.

Yeah I'm sure the Jets are happy that a probowler and a guy who got them 10 ints last year is leaving. Are you kidding! As for the Chargers that's exactly what they need a top corner who can give them alot of turnovers say like 10 not like are top guy with 3. But as we know with them leaving Brees go AJ is cheap and doesn't seem comitted to giving top dollars to players we despretly need.

ltomlinson16
03-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Ty law is a 0. I live in the new york area and watch qutie a few jets games (not missing the charger game). ty law has simply become, what deion sanders is now. A liabilty. he cant tackle, cant play run defense. Sure he got 10 picks, but i saw quite a few where he got bunches in games. They're what are commonly called 'garbage picks'. there are no stats that gives you a percentage of plays given up or anything so it isnt a fact that hes a pass defesne liabilty as well, however from what ive seen (alot) he sucks. inflated numbers.

Chargeroo
03-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah I'm sure the Jets are happy that a probowler and a guy who got them 10 ints last year is leaving. Are you kidding! As for the Chargers that's exactly what they need a top corner who can give them alot of turnovers say like 10 not like are top guy with 3. But as we know with them leaving Brees go AJ is cheap and doesn't seem comitted to giving top dollars to players we despretly need.Maybe you should go do some reading on the Jets site for yourself instead of jumping all over me for repeating what I read? Just a suggestion.

robbass
03-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah I'm sure the Jets are happy that a probowler and a guy who got them 10 ints last year is leaving. Are you kidding! As for the Chargers that's exactly what they need a top corner who can give them alot of turnovers say like 10 not like are top guy with 3. But as we know with them leaving Brees go AJ is cheap and doesn't seem comitted to giving top dollars to players we despretly need.
Ty Law is really expensive but AJ should have got his hand out his arse and picked up someone like Sam Madison. He would have definetely contributed, we have very young corners. Its too bad AJ's to cheap to sign Jamar Fletcher from last year, we are in trouble. With no line signings and only Mccree we need to ask what direction is this franchise going in? Rookie quarterback, No o line, No adequate safetys, no number 1 receiver. We have major holes at o line and safey , and nickel corner.

619chargerguy
03-26-2006, 07:04 PM
For those of you who are hating on Ty Law well you know what to do....... You say he can't tackle.. ok well Chargers don't need him to stop the run??? He's there to play the reciever???? Thats why our D is 1 against the run... We need a corner!!!! OMG are guys kidding me?

SuperBowlBolts
03-26-2006, 11:33 PM
For those of you who are hating on Ty Law well you know what to do....... You say he can't tackle.. ok well Chargers don't need him to stop the run??? He's there to play the reciever???? Thats why our D is 1 against the run... We need a corner!!!! OMG are guys kidding me?
and if you havent been reading hes a liabilty in coverage...so who are you kidding?

619chargerguy
03-29-2006, 10:45 PM
and if you havent been reading hes a liabilty in coverage...so who are you kidding?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< The guy above me posted.

OMG dude! He really didnt have a good season and he had 10 picks??? Some of you people need to learn the game first......

Chargeroo
03-29-2006, 11:19 PM
and if you havent been reading hes a liabilty in coverage...so who are you kidding?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< The guy above me posted.

OMG dude! He really didnt have a good season and he had 10 picks??? Some of you people need to learn the game first......FYI - to quote a post, just click on the word Quote in the post you wish to use. Also -if you only want to use part of the quote you can erase what you don't want so your reference is clear to everyone.

Don't get too worked up over this - you don't get to decide if they want Law and neither does anyone else posting in here. In time we'll all know what AJ thinks about Ty Law, one way or the other.

drangus
03-31-2006, 12:03 AM

OMG dude! He really didnt have a good season and he had 10 picks??? Some of you people need to learn the game first......

10 picks doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't routinely get burned in coverage

it just means that as a grizzled veteran he knows enough about reading young QBs and offensive

plays--I thought the guy looked fat last year--he didn't even get in top shape last

year and for an older guy that is a red flag--he is also asking for a ridiculous amount of money

robbass
04-01-2006, 02:48 AM
AJ Plz sign Jamar Fletch before he meets with the Redskins. We need a quality nickel corner and we need to give the chance to compete to start. Plz give him a raise and stop trying to lowball everyone we are 23milllllllllll under the cap.

Boltfan92153
04-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Jamar is gone, I am sad too but he is a Nickel Back at best. He was supposed to start in MIA and sucked there so he was traded for David Boston. Sammy Davis I think has more potential ( Believe it or not).

loweezy
04-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Free agent cornerback Jamar Fletcher has canceled today's scheduled visit to Redskins Park, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, and does not anticipate future negotiations with the club.
-- Washington Post

and washington filled their nickel back need with someone else already

Sogvet17
04-03-2006, 12:11 PM
I am curious...I came to this thread hoping to find how we are doing with our FA's, and yet, all the talk is about how AJ didn't sign this person or that. If I wanted to read about how good or bad T. Law is, I would go to the thread about other teams FA's....Is it just me, or does it seem that people just have to get their diatribe about whatever out to the forum....no matter if it holds any relavance to the thread or not......IMHO

anyway...

Does anybody know about Wilhelm. I have not found if he signed his offer sheet or is looking at another team...

loweezy
04-03-2006, 12:15 PM
I am curious...I came to this thread hoping to find how we are doing with our FA's, and yet, all the talk is about how AJ didn't sign this person or that. If I wanted to read about how good or bad T. Law is, I would go to the thread about other teams FA's....Is it just me, or does it seem that people just have to get their diatribe about whatever out to the forum....no matter if it holds any relavance to the thread or not......IMHO

anyway...

Does anybody know about Wilhelm. I have not found if he signed his offer sheet or is looking at another team...

i agree... but it is a forum... the pessimists post everywhere to show their unhappiness...

anyway... regarding wilhelm... it is rumored that cleveland is interested since he is a hometown boy...

but the chargers would receive compensation this year for him...

not sure if the browns want to give up a 4th for wilhelm...

as of right now... he has not signed his tender with the chargers meaning that he is free to negotiate with other teams and if the chargers refuse to match, they get compensation.

56lightsout56
04-03-2006, 03:53 PM
i read a quote elsewhere in the forum (I think there is a thread on Matt) that the briwns stated they would probably not sign him and give up a fourth. I'd rather have Wilhelm here. I think he is ready to step it up.

UCLA_75_76
04-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Looks like Donnie Edwards, fellow former Bruin, is looking for greener pastures. Any speculation on inability to come to agreement with front office? He's a great hustler at linebacker and generally underrated. :Helmet:

Jabroni
04-15-2006, 04:21 AM
i read a quote elsewhere in the forum (I think there is a thread on Matt) that the briwns stated they would probably not sign him and give up a fourth. I'd rather have Wilhelm here. I think he is ready to step it up.

What do you think, dollar wise, Wilhelm is looking for if we sign him for over 1 yr?
And second, what kind of a backer will he be - in limited action, it's tough to tell if he can be a Donnie clone.

Not too many backers like Edwards who get you 2-5 picks in great coverage, passes defensed, 150 tackles, a touchdown return once in a while, and forced fumbles. He's one of those guys who is always around the ball. That latter skill is one that is more instinctive than learned. If he leaves, I have a feeling we'll miss him when realizing all that he does!

Chargeroo
04-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Looks like Donnie Edwards, fellow former Bruin, is looking for greener pastures. Any speculation on inability to come to agreement with front office? He's a great hustler at linebacker and generally underrated. :Helmet:
Donnie started publicly making noise about a year ago that he wants a new contract for more money and more years. (His current contract is for 3.2 mil.) He had a bad year in 2005. Perhaps due to a knee problem, perhaps due to the wear and tear on his body after ten years in the NFL. At any rate, he's on the trading block now. I'm guessing they won't even consider giving him a raise and long term contract so he'll either be traded or released in June or he'll back off on his demands.

He's not as good at dropping back into the short area passing lanes as he used to be. He still gets a ton of tackles but that's at least partly due to the system that Wade uses. Whoever we play at that position will lead the team in tackles because it's the scheme of this defense. Donnie is really not big enough to stop RB's in their track and really never was. He loses in head on tackle situations because most of the RB's are much larger than he is. He's better suited to be an OLB in a 4/3 defense. Switching to 3/4 has not been a good thing for Donnie.

Will Wilhelm be as good? I think it's hard to tell until he's asked to play all day long like Donnie is now. He's a bigger man and a hard hitter so he'll be better at stopping the 3rd and short stuff. He's been quite good at filling the passing lanes when he's been asked to so far. The question is can he do it on a regular basis? I recall when Seau was still here and Zeke Moreno filled in some for him. Zeke made some good plays and we thought he'd be fine as Juniors replacement but when he became the starter we soon found out that he was making tackles but making them too late (much as Donnie did this season by the way) and as a result they demoted Zeke after only one year as Juniors replacement and a year later he was cut. He just wasn't the same player when he was asked to do it all day long as he was when he was sent in for 2 or 3 plays. We could possibly see the same thing with Wilhelm and I don't know how to tell for sure until he plays. My guess is that he'll be great at the run stopping part (in fact he'll put a hurt on RB's) but I do have some worry about dropping into the passing lanes. Part of the dropping off is instincts and many LB's just don't have the instincts for it.

Jabroni
04-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Donnie started publicly making noise about a year ago that he wants a new contract for more money and more years. (His current contract is for 3.2 mil.) He had a bad year in 2005. Perhaps due to a knee problem, perhaps due to the wear and tear on his body after ten years in the NFL. At any rate, he's on the trading block now. I'm guessing they won't even consider giving him a raise and long term contract so he'll either be traded or released in June or he'll back off on his demands.

He's not as good at dropping back into the short area passing lanes as he used to be. He still gets a ton of tackles but that's at least partly due to the system that Wade uses. Whoever we play at that position will lead the team in tackles because it's the scheme of this defense. Donnie is really not big enough to stop RB's in their track and really never was. He loses in head on tackle situations because most of the RB's are much larger than he is. He's better suited to be an OLB in a 4/3 defense. Switching to 3/4 has not been a good thing for Donnie.

Will Wilhelm be as good? I think it's hard to tell until he's asked to play all day long like Donnie is now. He's a bigger man and a hard hitter so he'll be better at stopping the 3rd and short stuff. He's been quite good at filling the passing lanes when he's been asked to so far. The question is can he do it on a regular basis? I recall when Seau was still here and Zeke Moreno filled in some for him. Zeke made some good plays and we thought he'd be fine as Juniors replacement but when he became the starter we soon found out that he was making tackles but making them too late (much as Donnie did this season by the way) and as a result they demoted Zeke after only one year as Juniors replacement and a year later he was cut. He just wasn't the same player when he was asked to do it all day long as he was when he was sent in for 2 or 3 plays. We could possibly see the same thing with Wilhelm and I don't know how to tell for sure until he plays. My guess is that he'll be great at the run stopping part (in fact he'll put a hurt on RB's) but I do have some worry about dropping into the passing lanes. Part of the dropping off is instincts and many LB's just don't have the instincts for it.

You know, I don't know why, but I'm getting a really weird vibe that we may go ILB in the first round at 19. I don't know why...

Chargeroo
04-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Really? I think we'll go CB in the first although I think our need is greater at OT. The difference is there are some darn good CB's that are likely to be there when our first pick comes up. There are some darn good LB's that will be there for our first pick too though, so I guess you could be right.

Nomad
04-15-2006, 08:01 PM
I would have to agree at this time - CB first round and O-line in second and third round. But, AJ may have some trading up his sleeve. :D I would like to see some kind of trade that moves us down a few slots in the first round and gives us another second or third round pick. :Beer: :Bolt:

Chargeroo
04-15-2006, 11:44 PM
I would have to agree at this time - CB first round and O-line in second and third round. But, AJ may have some trading up his sleeve. :D I would like to see some kind of trade that moves us down a few slots in the first round and gives us another second or third round pick. :Beer: :Bolt:
That's what I expect too. Another thing that would be fine with me is if he'd trade the first pick for a guy that is already a proven LOT. That's a little harder to do though.

TJ21
04-16-2006, 12:36 AM
That's what I expect too. Another thing that would be fine with me is if he'd trade the first pick for a guy that is already a proven LOT. That's a little harder to do though.
I don't want to see that. Last time we traded down (besides Eli) we ended up taking Sammy Davis instead of Troy Polamalu... :mad:

Jabroni
04-16-2006, 03:17 AM
I don't want to see that. Last time we traded down (besides Eli) we ended up taking Sammy Davis instead of Troy Polamalu... :mad:

Well, you can't win 'em all. Still, I think trading down in this draft would be a great move considering the depth. With our lack of activity in free agency, I'm sure AJ has been exploring all the angles in evaluating his draft startegy this year. With our RB, TE, and OLB, he's gotta know we are close to having a monster team with another solid draft or two

Chargeroo
04-16-2006, 02:38 PM
I don't want to see that. Last time we traded down (besides Eli) we ended up taking Sammy Davis instead of Troy Polamalu... :mad:We ended up getting two people - Sammy was only one of them. We got an additional 2nd round pick too. Also, how do you know we would have taken Troy? Many people thought he was over-rated. Maybe our staff was among those that thought so. I know, if so, they were wrong but remember that the draft is not an exact science. It's easy now to say we should have taken Troy but most of us thought getting a first and a second looked pretty good back then. If Sammy had become the starting CB they were looking for, it would have been a good deal. As they say, you buy your tickets and you take your chances.

sonorajim
04-17-2006, 11:45 AM
I'd like to see us package Donnie, Milligan and #19 to Clev for #12 where we take Justice, Huff, J Williams, Hawk, Greenway, or Davis. Realistically we'd likely have to choose Justice or Greenway from that group but who knows?

Bolt4Life
04-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Ahhh crap! We didn't get DQ back. I liked watching him pump up the team before games.......

jadeyknoxville
05-01-2006, 02:29 AM
hey, what's the status on Ty Law and Ahmed Plummer?

gwpeterson5
05-01-2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=444898

Jamar Fletcher signs 1-yr deal with Lions

nflphd
05-12-2006, 02:24 AM
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=444898

Jamar Fletcher signs 1-yr deal with Lions

Whatever, he's gone and I hope he finds better days in Michigan. He's an OK Nickel back....

gusman
05-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the dope..I have been away awhile. The Caldwell loss, although I have never been a fan, hurts. He was developing into a good third or 4th type guy I think.

JoeMcRugby
05-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the dope..I have been away awhile. The Caldwell loss, although I have never been a fan, hurts. He was developing into a good third or 4th type guy I think.

The Chargers have 4 guys who would have been in front of Caldwell this year: McCardell, Parker, Jackson and Woods. They'll miss him as much as they've missed Tim Dwight - not at all. ;)

loweezy
05-29-2006, 07:38 PM
The Chargers have 4 guys who would have been in front of Caldwell this year: McCardell, Parker, Jackson and Woods. They'll miss him as much as they've missed Tim Dwight - not at all. ;)

as much as i love our receivers... i believe until proven otherwise... woods is nothing but potential... with that said... IF caldwell had been beaten out and was 5th on our depth chart at season start, i'd be ecstatic... caldwell has a lot of untapped potential... i think he will be a good one before his career is done... and brady will help him along just fine! anyways... cheers to woods and jackson developing. :)

Chargeroo
05-29-2006, 08:43 PM
as much as i love our receivers... i believe until proven otherwise... woods is nothing but potential... with that said... IF caldwell had been beaten out and was 5th on our depth chart at season start, i'd be ecstatic... caldwell has a lot of untapped potential... i think he will be a good one before his career is done... and brady will help him along just fine! anyways... cheers to woods and jackson developing. :)
I agree with this post - just one thing to add. Caldwell did seem to do stupid things every now and then.

JoeMcRugby
05-29-2006, 10:23 PM

Caldwell had almost a zero percent chance of being anything above a 4th WR on the Chargers - VJ was moving past him and Caldwell knew it.

After Caldwell left, the Bolts needed another WR and lucked into a talent who had been blackballed and labeled a scapegoat in SF.

IMO Even if Woods weren't brought in after Reche left, Caldwell would have spent most of the season on the bench and on special teams. His only realistic move was to go elsewhere.

We'll see if he can get rid of the boneheaded tendancies and become a Rodney Harrison for the Patriots or whether he'll be another non-factor Flutie, Dwight, Britt or other Chargers discard picked up by the Pats. :Bolt:

TH3 0TH3R GUY
05-31-2006, 01:49 PM
In other free agency notes.... why havent the Chargers made an offer to Ty Law? He still needs a team and he had a great season last year with the jets. He finished with 10 INTs --which happened to tie our entire team combined-- I think he can be a great role model for our young DB's, especially Cromartie. I honestly think he can do for us what Harrison did for the Pats. I feel bad I had to put it in that way since it still hurts to see Rodney somewhere else, but its the truth.

loweezy
05-31-2006, 02:12 PM
because ty law is old... and he wants 10 mil...

diminishing skills + overpaying a guy is a quick way to get a gm into the doghouse...

10 picks makes up for his league leading penalties a bit... he is NOT as good as he used to be, or as good as he thinks he is...

Sanitation Man
05-31-2006, 02:25 PM
In other free agency notes.... why havent the Chargers made an offer to Ty Law? He still needs a team and he had a great season last year with the jets. He finished with 10 INTs --which happened to tie our entire team combined-- I think he can be a great role model for our young DB's, especially Cromartie. I honestly think he can do for us what Harrison did for the Pats. I feel bad I had to put it in that way since it still hurts to see Rodney somewhere else, but its the truth.

As you'll hear a thousand times, he wants 10 million! No way...just check out his career stats (please notice that he had 7 or more INT's only twice). Can you say overrated?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3820

kingporterblood
06-30-2006, 01:02 PM
I`m glad they kept Osgood