PDA

View Full Version : Ross Verba

TJ21
02-06-2006, 06:53 PM
From what I remember about the guy, in Cleveland he was an elite left tackle, or at least he played like one. They released him because he was upset over being switched to guard, I believe. Anyone have any other info? Could he be a possibility?

JoeMcRugby
02-06-2006, 06:57 PM
From what I remember about the guy, in Cleveland he was an elite left tackle, or at least he played like one. They released him because he was upset over being switched to guard, I believe. Anyone have any other info? Could he be a possibility?
He was an unrestricted free agent for the 2005 season (which he paid back the Browns millions for the opportunity) - no one picked him up. If his agent advised him to make that move, I hope he's hired a new agent.

Doubtful that he's the answer for the Chargers LOT problems, but who knows? They might be able to pick him up for a song and a dance after he sat out the 2005 season.

cloveR
02-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Being a Cleveland fan, I would advise you not to waste your time on Verba... He switched back in forth from left tackle to left guard while at Green Bay and back to tackle in Cleveland when Roman Oben wasn't doing such a good job then, but his leaving had more to do with money then anything else... Plus, the fact that he hasn't played football in a year isn't really helping his status as anything...

TJ21
02-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Being a Cleveland fan, I would advise you not to waste your time on Verba... He switched back in forth from left tackle to left guard while at Green Bay and back to tackle in Cleveland when Roman Oben wasn't doing such a good job then, but his leaving had more to do with money then anything else... Plus, the fact that he hasn't played football in a year isn't really helping his status as anything...
Well that just means we could get him cheap. I think we should give this guy a shot, he might add some much needed leadership to a very young line. Then again, Oben adds that.

Ikeman83
02-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Well that just means we could get him cheap. I think we should give this guy a shot, he might add some much needed leadership to a very young line. Then again, Oben adds that.

Oben has to be playing to add anything. If Verba can be had on the cheap, then we should get him. If we get him cheap and he's good, sweet, if we get him and he sucks, who cares?

TJ21
02-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Oben has to be playing to add anything. If Verba can be had on the cheap, then we should get him. If we get him cheap and he's good, sweet, if we get him and he sucks, who cares?
That's my thinking.

BoltsfanNYC
02-07-2006, 10:28 PM
roster spot... wesley britt now with NE pats!!! maybe we should have kept him!!

TJ21
02-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Buddy, he's on their practice squad. He's not going to start for them anytime soon.

Ikeman83
02-08-2006, 04:55 AM
I don't think there'd be much of a roster spot issue... since we're gonna move Olivea over to guard.

JoeMcRugby
02-08-2006, 08:41 AM

Buddy, he's on their practice squad. He's not going to start for them anytime soon.

Any of the other 31 teams in the NFL could have snapped up practice squad player Britt during the 2005 season at the drop of the hat (keep him on the active roster for three weeks) by claiming him off of the Pats' practice squad. None did. Sounds to me like teams don't think much of Britt.

TJ21
02-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Any of the other 31 teams in the NFL could have snapped up practice squad player Britt during the 2005 season at the drop of the hat (keep him on the active roster for three weeks) by claiming him off of the Pats' practice squad. None did. Sounds to me like teams don't think much of Britt.
What did we waste on him? A 5th or 6th pick?

JoeMcRugby
02-08-2006, 06:17 PM
What did we waste on him? A 5th or 6th pick?

5th round.

The sixth and seventh round picks (o-linemen Sims and Mruczkowski) made the squad.

TJ21
02-08-2006, 10:57 PM
5th round.

The sixth and seventh round picks (o-linemen Sims and Mruczkowski) made the squad.
Isn't Mruczkowski on the active roster?