PDA

View Full Version : Last year?

LT LT LT
02-13-2006, 03:26 PM
-Why did we not make a run at Daren Sharper last year in free agency? Fill our need at saftey or John Lynch before that

-Why not Marco Rivera or Whale the ex-packers gaurds? I know the Funoti deal but still depth and we knew Funoti was a problem

It seems like there have been some free agent solutions to our problems but we have not gone after these guys in the past is there a reason. Mostly I wanted Daren Sharper and I truly trust AJ and am so happy with the things going on in Charger land but can anyone explain why we did not bring in any of these guys.

JoeMcRugby
02-13-2006, 03:32 PM
-Why did we not make a run at Daren Sharper last year in free agency? Fill our need at saftey or John Lynch before that

-Why not Marco Rivera or Whale the ex-packers gaurds? I know the Funoti deal but still depth and we knew Funoti was a problem

It seems like there have been some free agent solutions to our problems but we have not gone after these guys in the past is there a reason. Mostly I wanted Daren Sharper and I truly trust AJ and am so happy with the things going on in Charger land but can anyone explain why we did not bring in any of these guys.
They used the cap money to keep Brees on the Chargers and lock up Jamal Williams, Steve Foley, Keenan McCardell and Antonio Gates to long-term deals. I thought Jue did a decent job at a pay rate that allowed the Chargers to sign these guys to deals that kept them from leaving SD.

With more cap space in 2006 and the fact that Brees won't likely be playing under the cap-unfriendly franchise tag, I fully expect AJ to get a safety in free agency or the draft. O-line, ILB and possibly another CB will likely be addressed in free agency as well.

Dojo
02-13-2006, 03:39 PM
They used the cap money to keep Brees on the Chargers and lock up Jamal Williams, Steve Foley, Keenan McCardell and Antonio Gates to long-term deals. I thought Jue did a decent job at a pay rate that allowed the Chargers to sign these guys to deals that kept them from leaving SD.

With more cap space in 2006 and the fact that Brees won't likely be playing under the cap-unfriendly franchise tag, I fully expect AJ to get a safety in free agency or the draft. O-line, ILB and possibly another CB will likely be addressed in free agency as well.
I fully agree with that. I think it's too easy to look back at our team and look at the weaknesses. This time last year I though we didn't need to do anything to our O-line. In fact, I thought that our team had one of the best lines in the league. I didn't think that our pass rush was going to be as good as it was (finishing 5th in sacks) and I thought that our DB's would play better than what they did. Fact is, they've played horrible the past couple years. Yeah, I thought that we should have picked up Lynch or Sharper but there's 30 other teams in the NFL that could also be saying that. The Vikings and Donkeys picked them up, oh well.

I bet there are tons of teams kicking themselves that they didn't trade for Shaun Alexander. Remember, he was available for a 2nd round pick. MVP vs. 2nd rounder....hard choice.

LT LT LT
02-13-2006, 04:08 PM
I definetly agree with that it is really easy to look back and say shoulda so good point.

Did sharper or lynch really sign that big of a deal joe? Could we have played with a few other things to get under with Sharper on the roster? Say we release Jerry Wilson? or what else could we do because it always seems other teams find a way and I don't want ot go to salary cap H E double hockey sticks but picking up one solid free agent maybe 2 with Rivera could not have hurt that bad. Maybe trade funoti earlier

JoeMcRugby
02-13-2006, 06:17 PM
I definetly agree with that it is really easy to look back and say shoulda so good point.

Did sharper or lynch really sign that big of a deal joe? Could we have played with a few other things to get under with Sharper on the roster? Say we release Jerry Wilson? or what else could we do because it always seems other teams find a way and I don't want ot go to salary cap H E double hockey sticks but picking up one solid free agent maybe 2 with Rivera could not have hurt that bad. Maybe trade funoti earlier
John Lynch was looking for another ring when he was free agent in March 2004. With the Chargers coming off of a 4-12 season, Lynch had no desire to come to his hometown team SD - unless, of course, he had a mighty powerful crystal ball.

- Jerry Wilson signed a minimum veteran's contract ($665,000 for 2005) with a $25,000 signing bonus. Chump change.

- 33 year old (in April) Marco Rivera signed a five year $20 million contract with the Cowboys with a $9 million signing bonus (more than Gates got). Fonoti made $455,000 in 2005 in comparison.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5812-2005Mar3.html

- Darren Sharper's signing bonus was at least $4 million with $10 million being paid to him over the 2005 through 2007 seasons after he signed a four year contract with the Vikings.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2011382

http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/dan-pompei/20050320a.html

Considering that the Chargers ended up less than $1 million under the cap after completing all of the contract extensions, it's hard to see how they could have signed Sharper or Rivera last offseason without taking care of "one their own".

This offseason should (and better) be a different story. O-line, safety and ILB needs to be taken care of in free agency and/or the first day of the draft.

LT LT LT
02-13-2006, 10:48 PM
thanks Joe I should learn to do that research by myself but well I'm not that smart. So next question how do other teams afford things like this all the time when we can not. For example Minnesota got Sharper and they have way overpaid Cullpepper the cap hit from the Moss deal a million runningbacks the inability to draft during their own slot and still they can bring in sharper. How are we always in a cap freindly spot but unable to go get a player.

TJ21
02-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Jue's definately a baller. He can play, and I think he'll do even better then 3 picks. :Beer:

Boltz2175
02-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Because our organization doesnt realize what it takes to win games...how come there is never any new news on www.chargers.com (http://www.chargers.com), its always "several chargers host celebrity golf event"...sometimes i think AJ just doesnt get it...i realize the team doesnt have a whole lot of prestige but come on...we could get some better guys!!!

Onion Knight
02-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Jue's definately a baller. He can play, and I think he'll do even better then 3 picks. :Beer:

TaJ: no WAY do I agee with you onthis. Jue is not anything special. I dont know what he costs the chargers, but he certainly didnt have an impact here.

ChampCharger
02-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Him having the most picks had nothing to do with him being good. What was it three? That's nothing and he's not going to be a Pro Bowler.

If we want to win the super bowl we have to stop settling for guys and get the impact players!!!

SDFaiderHater
02-27-2006, 11:37 PM

looking back i think that we could have been capable without foley, i love him, dont get me wrong, but i think Shaun Phillips did a fine job when foley went down to injury.