PDA

View Full Version : One Less FA WR, Wayne signs with Colts

mtxsound
02-22-2006, 03:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5351986

The free-agency period has yet to begin but one potential free agent has already hit for a big payday.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Colts agreed to terms Wednesday with wide receiver Reggie Wayne on a six-year deal worth nearly $40 million including $13.5 million in bonus money. Wayne was slated to become an unrestricted free agent and his signing now weakens an already extremely weak receiver free agent class.

While the contract terms have been agreed upon by both sides Wayne has not yet officially signed and should as soon as the NFL approves the deal.
The deal also makes him the third highest-paid receiver in the NFL behind teammate Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss. By getting the Wayne deal done the Colts do not have to use the franchise tag on him, a move they were primed to make had they not worked out a new contract. It's unclear whether they will use the tag on free agent running back Edgerrin James, but right now that appears to be unlikely. Wayne had 83 catches this past season for 1,055 yards and five touchdowns in the Colts' high-powered attack.

Although I didn't really think we had a realistic shot at getting Wayne, he is now off the market. He would have looked good in Lightning Bolts though. I wonder what this does to the Colts cap room though.

RAYRAY37
02-22-2006, 03:19 PM
At least he got rewarded from his own team.

IgorUnchained
02-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I just posted this too...looks like you beat me to the punch.

I would have loved to have seen Wayne in Blue and Gold, but I am still in the opinion that Randle El is more of what this team needs.

Of course I have little faith that the team would even consider Randle El, but that is what I think! The Colts know where their bread is buttered and made the smart move with Wayne/Edge.

Tycebrew
02-22-2006, 04:25 PM
I just posted this too...looks like you beat me to the punch.

I would have loved to have seen Wayne in Blue and Gold, but I am still in the opinion that Randle El is more of what this team needs.

Of course I have little faith that the team would even consider Randle El, but that is what I think! The Colts know where their bread is buttered and made the smart move with Wayne/Edge.

Congrats to the Colts for securing their own "really good" WR.

I think Randle El is already packing his bags to Chicago... time will tell.

JoeMcRugby
02-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Although I didn't really think we had a realistic shot at getting Wayne, he is now off the market. He would have looked good in Lightning Bolts though. I wonder what this does to the Colts cap room though.

It certainly will hurt them in attempts to further upgrade their defense. :Bolt:

IgorUnchained
02-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Congrats to the Colts for securing their own "really good" WR.

I think Randle El is already packing his bags to Chicago... time will tell.

I havent heard anything about him and Chicago....that would be a great fit too!
Muhsin Muhammed at #1, Randle El at #2, pick up one of the 3 or 4 great TE prospects in the first round of the draft.....that team would be in great shape with Grossman or Orton at the helm IMO.

mtxsound
02-22-2006, 04:46 PM
I havent heard anything about him and Chicago....that would be a great fit too!
Muhsin Muhammed at #1, Randle El at #2, pick up one of the 3 or 4 great TE prospects in the first round of the draft.....that team would be in great shape with Grossman or Orton at the helm IMO.

I think there is a lot of speculation he'd go to Chicago because he is from the chicago area, and the team needs some more offensive weapons. I dont think they have the right QB yet either though, neither are very great. But they made it to the playoffs and had a great year so maybe they are close.

mtxsound
02-22-2006, 04:50 PM
It certainly will hurt them in attempts to further upgrade their defense. :Bolt:

Thats what I was getting at. I dont think they have a Super Bowl quality Defense, and their offense is not really lacking much. If they Franchise Edge than thats about all they will be able to do in the offseason, and thats not really good for them.

I guess its good for us though, in a way. We can stop their offense we proved that, and their defense didnt do much to stop us either.

ChampCharger
02-23-2006, 02:21 AM
Their defense wasn't bad. And they did "do much to us." They foiled our game plan and we barely came away with that one...however, we proved last year, as did the steelers, that a great defense can shut down the Colts' offense.

mk87
02-23-2006, 05:07 AM
I'd rather invest in VJ, than Wayne.

But congrats to him anyway, he earned it.

JoeMcRugby
02-23-2006, 08:29 AM
Thats what I was getting at. I dont think they have a Super Bowl quality Defense, and their offense is not really lacking much. If they Franchise Edge than thats about all they will be able to do in the offseason, and thats not really good for them.

I guess its good for us though, in a way. We can stop their offense we proved that, and their defense didnt do much to stop us either.

It sounds like they won't franchise Edge. That would essentially limit them to draft picks in any attempt to upgrade their defense. And their defense does need upgrading. Not an overhaul, but upgrading.

Boltz2175
02-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Well Eric Moulds is still out there!!!

Ikeman83
02-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Their defense wasn't bad. And they did "do much to us." They foiled our game plan and we barely came away with that one...however, we proved last year, as did the steelers, that a great defense can shut down the Colts' offense.

I wouldn't say they foiled our gameplan: we dropped 26 points on them, while LT was injured, and held them to 17.

As far as their cap room situation, their going to be real short on Dollars. Does anyone know if they've resigned Mathis? He was a monster for them getting sacks.

Thunderstruck
02-23-2006, 04:59 PM
At least he got rewarded from his own team.

You mean like Edgerrin James?

Oh...wait...

Guess it is a business after all.