PDA

View Full Version : Padres did it, why not the Chargers?

TBOLTZCALI
03-01-2006, 06:00 PM
This years padres squad signed veterans that are past there prime. Mike Piazza, Vinny Castilla, bring back Ryan Klesko and the aging Trevor Hoffman, and signing Brian Giles and trading for Mike Cameron. This team is built for this year only. With all these FA that will be available, are the chargers going to follow this and sign some aging veterans? Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy just to name a few are available. Who do you think is worth to look at and to bring in for this year. I think sometimes you dont have a choice but to risk getting some veterans on the squad to help groom the youngsters and help bring us the trophy. Any thoughts?

Alibell1
03-01-2006, 06:20 PM
And Padre fan is still pissing and moaning. Damned if you do damned if you don't. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the fans know more about their favorite teams and sports than the guys that actually get paid to know.

bolts4ever21
03-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Spend money to get guys like Bentley, Samuels (after bloody thursday) and stud for the secondary. I am all down for that. Improve the overall team to get to the big dance.

baddass4444
03-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Spend money to get guys like Bentley, Samuels (after bloody thursday) and stud for the secondary. I am all down for that. Improve the overall team to get to the big dance.

Which Samuels are u talking about??

SDFaiderHater
03-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Which Samuels are u talking about??

im guessing the tackle from washington

mtxsound
03-01-2006, 08:28 PM
This years padres squad signed veterans that are past there prime. Mike Piazza, Vinny Castilla, bring back Ryan Klesko and the aging Trevor Hoffman, and signing Brian Giles and trading for Mike Cameron. This team is built for this year only. With all these FA that will be available, are the chargers going to follow this and sign some aging veterans? Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy just to name a few are available. Who do you think is worth to look at and to bring in for this year. I think sometimes you dont have a choice but to risk getting some veterans on the squad to help groom the youngsters and help bring us the trophy. Any thoughts?

Well lets just see how it works out for the Padres.

I would rather sign some good younger guys, that can still improve (but are somewhat proven,) than some great old guys who will give us 2-4 years.

TBOLTZCALI
03-01-2006, 11:20 PM
I guess the difference between the two teams is that the padres actually have some real talent waiting in the wings while the chargers are still reeling with unproven talent. After edwards, foley and godfrey leave, there isnt a merriman sighting in our ILB's. I guess thats what the draft is for. As well as the safties go.

Sogvet17
03-01-2006, 11:34 PM

Because the Padres will suck this year....that is the reason why....and also a 164 game schedule to a 16 game schedule....in case you forgot, you can play .500 ball and still win the pennant.......IMHO

nshep42
03-01-2006, 11:35 PM
you are crazy, the chargers are young, deep and talented and most all of their spots (xcept o-line and nose tackle)

stephen cooper and matt wilhem did as good if not better than donnie last year...and Phillips was way more productive than Foley

I know, the charger commercials dont say this, but edwards and foley were actually to WEAK spots on our teams...both did not play well at all...i know edwards has loads of tackles, but when they are all for a 5 yard gain its not so good

TBOLTZCALI
03-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Foley was injured this year. Wilhelm isnt a starter nor is coop. We need better fits here. Edwards is pretty much done after this year. Bring back JR one last year.

Boltfan92153
03-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Donnie did struggle this year, but I will not complain much about the fact he gets dragged by running backs because we have the #1 run Defense, what I saw donnie regress in was his pass coverage, 3 less interceptions.

nshep42
03-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Donnie gets too worn down over the course of the game...in the first and second quarter he makes tackles...and in the 3rd and especially fourth quarter (remember the Bus in the Pittsburgh game) he suddenly only makes contact...not tackles

I think Wilhelm can be a starter in this league, but I also would not mind picking up a castoff from a 4-3 defense (ala Foley) and throwing him into the 3-4 (especially Kendrell Bell if he is available)

TBOLTZCALI
03-02-2006, 05:06 PM
He makes tackles but after extra yardage has given up. Sign a FA, how about shaun barber?

sommerSD
03-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Since they wont re-sign Brees, and they would have been plenty under teh cap if they did, they Chargers have a golden oppertunity to fix their secondary holes. They NEED to sign at least one of the following:
Ty Law, Lawyer Malloy, Sam Madison.

Jammer, Florence, Kiel, and Jue jsut dont cut it. Jammer should be cut. Save us some more money

Boltjolt
03-02-2006, 11:52 PM

That is one old team who will be in the cellar this year.

I dont see how this relates since older players in the NFL are not desirable...,come to think of it, the Castilla signing by the Padres was a horrible one.

TBOLTZCALI
03-03-2006, 12:01 AM
If Piazza, Cameron, Castilla, Klesko, Giles, can hit atleast 20+ homers, we they will be ok. Greene will add 15 and if barfield starts he can add another 10 or so. Thats a big if to fill!!

Boltjolt
03-03-2006, 05:32 PM
If Piazza, Cameron, Castilla, Klesko, Giles, can hit atleast 20+ homers, we they will be ok. Greene will add 15 and if barfield starts he can add another 10 or so. Thats a big if to fill!!

20 each? :confused: Wouldnt that be nice!

Klesko and Giles didnt do it last year or the year before....they just arent going to do it at Petco.

No way Castilla is going to hit 20 homers playing in Petco for 81 games. Hec he only hit 12 last year in 494 at bats.

I doubt any of them will. Petco is just too hard to hit homers unless you are a power hitter and we dont really have any of those. Piazza isnt the hitter he used to be so even tho he has hit over 30 many times, he only hit 19 last year. Cameron hit a whole 12 in 76 games.

The Padres are an old team with no speed and only occasional power with a weak pitching rotation.

TBOLTZCALI
03-03-2006, 05:43 PM
I think vinny can. He played for the nationals and that ball park was terrible. Greene put up 15 bombs last year batting right handed, so I dont see vinny or piazza having a problem. They will bring the right centerfield fence in to help the lefties so i see klesko and giles as a possibility if healthy

nshep42
03-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Since they wont re-sign Brees, and they would have been plenty under teh cap if they did, they Chargers have a golden oppertunity to fix their secondary holes. They NEED to sign at least one of the following:
Ty Law, Lawyer Malloy, Sam Madison.

Jammer, Florence, Kiel, and Jue jsut dont cut it. Jammer should be cut. Save us some more money

Jammer was BY FAR our best DB last year...watch a game...oh and signing old washed up players ala the padres is NOT the answer unless you play in the worst division in the history of baseball

Boltjolt
03-03-2006, 06:03 PM
I think vinny can. He played for the nationals and that ball park was terrible. Greene put up 15 bombs last year batting right handed, so I dont see vinny or piazza having a problem. They will bring the right centerfield fence in to help the lefties so i see klesko and giles as a possibility if healthy

Vinny hasnt done a thing when he was not a Rockie. He goes back there, and does well again.

He wont hit for power here at all.

TBOLTZCALI
03-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Well thats what we are hoping for that he does play well enough to hold down 3b until we get the rook in there. I think he still has enough in the tank to pound out 20.

Boltjolt
03-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Hold on to that dream my friend ;)

LarryAW
03-04-2006, 11:01 PM

Let me just say that this team does not have just a one-year window of opportunity. We are far from over-the-hill. So, I would have no problem adding older players, if they could be expected to be solid contributors for 3 or 4 more years. The Padres signed who they signed because John Moores isn't Steinbrenner. In the Padres' case, it's better than the alternative.

A lot of people are talking as if if we don't win this year, our opportunities are gone. That definitely isn't the case. Unless AJ royally screws up, and he's too smart to, we should be contenders for years. A lot of teams are worried about uncapped 2007. Not us. All of our players (excluding Drew) have contracts that run past 2007. AJ and the Capologist actually know what they are doing.

Maybe I am more willing to accept Drew leaving because I know we should be contenders for years, and not just this year. If Drew got a guaranteed contract and couldn't play, we'd wouldn't have much hope. Donnie is getting up there. Here comes Wilhem or Cooper. Keenan is getting up there. Here comes VJ. FA is around the corner and we have a lot of money to spend.

Be sorry for Drew's probable leaving, but don't give up. PR can't pass? #1 in NCAA history with 51 starts. #2 all-time in NCAA in both passing yards and total offense. Tied for #5 in NCAA-history with 95 touchdowns. I think he's one of only 5 or so college QBs who passed for more than 3,000 yards three times. College isn't the NFL, but it's a good teacher and a fairly good indicator. PR will know the offense. What he doesn't know yet is how to read defenses. He will be a 1st time starter. But, AJ got PR, in part, because he offered the Chargers the best chance to win right away over Manning and Big Ben. PR will make his share of mistakes, but I don't think we will see the return of Martyball or a "dumbed-down offense." I am not saying PR will be in the Pro Bowl this year, but if we fix the holes in the OL and the secondary in particular, this will be a better year than last year. I even think we'll make the playoffs. How far we go will be the question. And yes, PR looked bad in the Denver game. Did you forget how bad Drew looked in that game? Both QB's were running for their lives.

Everybody thinks PR is AJ's QB. Okay. If AJ doesn't talk to Marty, will Marty talk to PR or will Cam have to pass info from Marty to PR? ;) Yes, I'm kidding -- I hope.

TBOLTZCALI
03-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Looks like Josh Barfield is the front runner for the second base position.

SuperMatt
03-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Looks like Josh Barfield is the front runner for the second base position.

I'm really excited about Barfield. He seems like a real player!

TBOLTZCALI
03-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Can he be better than Loretta? Wiggins? Alomar? wait and see i guess.

TBOLTZCALI
03-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Barfield goes 4for5 including GS!!

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060308&content_id=1340536&vkey=spt2006gamer&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

Boltjolt
03-08-2006, 06:51 PM
I hope Barfield is the real deal but spring training wont tell us much. hitters are usually ahead of the pitchers at this point while pitchers also use spring training to try new pithes and such.

lightzout56
03-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Now we can go after Nate Clements that way when the draft roles around we can use the 19 pick on a WR, if not we need to get another CB.

Lightz Out!!!

Boltjolt
03-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Dream on.... we wont go after Nate Clements