PDA

View Full Version : Jevon Walker wants out!!!

TBOLTZCALI
03-09-2006, 11:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2361969

LAbolt
03-09-2006, 11:28 PM
damn i would love getting jevon walker what we need 2 get him? $$$$$$$

Podium
03-09-2006, 11:30 PM
damn i would love getting jevon walker what we need 2 get him? $$$$$$$

trade pieces

LAbolt
03-09-2006, 11:31 PM
whatever it is lets do it,this guy is awesome. can u imagine him in a boltz uni..

HeadTrip
03-09-2006, 11:31 PM
You guys are living in dream land if you think we are trading for anyone.

POOpooMAGOO
03-09-2006, 11:56 PM
i would trade a 2nd for javon walker. if he didnt get injured last year maybe a 1st. we definitely have enough money to sign him long term since we wont be signing brees. he would also be the #1 reciever everyone is asking for and he is only 27 and will be getting into the prime of his career.

Av9114
03-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Ya I think we have a good shot at him if AJ decides he wants him. First of all he has a very low salary this year, second it really wouldnt take that much to get him. He is serious about not playing for GB and is going to give them no other choice but to trade him. I think he could be had for a second or a third, and it might not even have to be this year. If you look at other times teams have traded for players that have a year left on their contract it usually doesnt require large compensation. The real cost will be giving him a long term deal he's happy with, but he is hurt right now which should keep those demands reasonable.

RMANCIL
03-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Walker when he is healthy is one of the top 3 wr in football. He was grossly under paid at GB as well.

It will be interesting to see what the demands are for him , under the circumstances I can not imagine that GB will get more than a 4 th or 5th round pick and the Chargers should be in the market.

Walker would help put the offense over the top.

Podium
03-10-2006, 12:25 AM
I bet Charger fans have heard this from me before:

as long as his health checks out.

Other than that, I'm on board. I don't mind too much about his "hatred" for playing for Green Bay because of Favre throwing him under the bus (IMO).

LTfan4life
03-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Walker when he is healthy is one of the top 3 wr in football. He was grossly under paid at GB as well.

Which also means he'll want to be paid as one of the best in the NFL soon...

I'd love to have em, but it will cost a price plus a big contract soon. :)

Get EM!

HeadTrip
03-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Which also means he'll want to be paid as one of the best in the NFL soon...

I'd love to have em, but it will cost a price plus a big contract soon. :)

Get EM!

There is nothing wrong with paying a guy what he is worth, I just don't think we have a snowballs chance to get him. I guess it might be possible, AJ did trade for Kmac, but it's not something to get excited about.

TJ21
03-10-2006, 01:00 AM
You guys are living in dream land if you think we are trading for anyone.
Especially not draft picks.

Av9114
03-10-2006, 01:05 AM
Hey so what we give up a mid-draft pick and get him for one year. Maybe he isnt able to regain his form. Oh well I think its worth the risk. Maybe he has a career year, hey then he deserves the money and I think he would get it...but lets say that AJ decides he wants to much...so we tag him or let him go. Even if we let him go we get one great year for a mid round pick. Thats not that bad for a worst case.

I also have to agree that is character is not an issue here. He has not been treated well in GB and has a right to be upset. He is in a very similar situation to Keenan and he's turned out to be a great pick up. If it were up to me I would be willing to give up a third without a second thought. He just has so much upside.

RMANCIL
03-10-2006, 01:47 AM
Especially not draft picks.

We have a ton of lower round picks and if we keep them , all the players we draft will not make this team we are too deep for that to happen.

The Chargers would be wise to trade lower selections for a top player like Walker or to move up in the draft , by bundling lower picks we may be able to get a extra 3rd round selection.

That said I would much rather trade and pay Walker than draft a player simply due to the fact that Walker if he is healthy is a pro bowl player while the draft pick is a gamble.

Walker would be the best WR on this team and start day one , if we draft a WR most fail to make a impression until three years in the league.

RMANCIL
03-10-2006, 01:53 AM
There is nothing wrong with paying a guy what he is worth, I just don't think we have a snowballs chance to get him. I guess it might be possible, AJ did trade for Kmac, but it's not something to get excited about.

Smith is looking to be active this season and the Bolts have a real need for a major play maker at wr.

That is why you see so many draft sites listing WR for the Charger Selection in round 1#.

That said most rookie wr take a few years to develop and we have Vernon Jackson who projects well for us .

The Bolts released Caldwell who was our best deep threat and as a result we have a opening on the roster for a WR and we have plenty of cap space now is he healthy?

That for me would be a real question.

Bo1TZ
03-10-2006, 02:24 AM
Smith is looking to be active this season and the Bolts have a real need for a major play maker at wr.

That is why you see so many draft sites listing WR for the Charger Selection in round 1#.

That said most rookie wr take a few years to develop and we have Vernon Jackson who projects well for us .

The Bolts released Caldwell who was our best deep threat and as a result we have a opening on the roster for a WR and we have plenty of cap space now is he healthy , that for me would be a real question.

Couldn't agree more. I think that it's worth it to trade away a third round pick for Walker who's a proven receiver rather than waiting three years for a receiver that we drafted to pan out (if he even does). There's a greater chance of drafting a bust, and it's a lot less risky giving up draft picks for a proven playmaker. Tomlinson, Walker, Jackson, McCardell, and Gates... Phillip Rivers couldn't have a better start.

Natedawg01
03-10-2006, 03:46 AM
J. Walker is a beast. Super fast (pending rehabilitation on that knee), great hands, nice height, he would be a tremendous asset to our team.

However, I am *very* concerned about his attitude and off the field stance. We want team players and it seems like he could have the tendancy to not get along with players (ala favre).

Who knows though, he could come in and be a great asset and not cause any waves. Would definatly be interesting. With 20 mil in cap space and us not signing brees, if AJ doesn't get at least 1 big name guy like walker, I'd be highly dissapointed.

L.T. - 21
03-10-2006, 06:30 AM
noooooo!!! do the football gods hate me or something the are ruining are chances of getting chad jackson

StLBoltboy
03-10-2006, 06:59 AM
As long as the price is right (if that bridge is crossed), why not? Walker could go Steve Smith on the league next year. Of course we'd have to see some performance before contract extensions were talked, otherwise I could see some old wounds opening up.

TBOLTZCALI
03-10-2006, 08:52 AM
He wont come here. He will probably sign with minny or maybe philly.

POOpooMAGOO
03-10-2006, 11:30 AM
why wouldnt he wanna come to a playoff caliber team even with rivers. he is already an established receiver with no off the field issues besides wanting to get paid which he obviously deserves. unlike N.O. (TO) he i dont think hes even in the top 10 in paid receivers. Also if we were to give up a 2nd rd pick he would be the best receiver outta any of the WR crop this year.

robsweetin
03-10-2006, 11:42 AM
We have a ton of lower round picks and if we keep them , all the players we draft will not make this team we are too deep for that to happen.

The Chargers would be wise to trade lower selections for a top player like Walker or to move up in the draft , by bundling lower picks we may be able to get a extra 3rd round selection.

That said I would much rather trade and pay Walker than draft a player simply due to the fact that Walker if he is healthy is a pro bowl player while the draft pick is a gamble.

Walker would be the best WR on this team and start day one , if we draft a WR most fail to make a impression until three years in the league.

I'm totally with you on all of this. It would be foolish of us not do something with all the draft picks we've stockpiled.

This is a great opportunity to grab a top-flight WR. I'm sure the FO is exploring their options. :Bolt:

robanalog
03-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Isn't hsi agent Drew Rosenhaus? For that alone I may stay away from him. He is a deep threat though but has complained a lot over in Green Bay for the past 2 years. He'll demand big money.

HeadTrip
03-10-2006, 12:29 PM

The Bolts released Caldwell who was our best deep threat and as a result we have a opening on the roster for a WR and we have plenty of cap space now is he healthy?

That for me would be a real question.

I think the reason why a lot of mock drafts have us taking a WR first is simply because they are unenducated to be honest. The Chargers won't pass on a T or S to get a WR and they will do the same in the 2nd round. If they are going to draft a WR it will be in the 3rd-7th round, which doesn't make mucn sense because we already have productive WRs, but we lack the super star.

hoopdreams
03-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Where is all of the concern about injury now? Rivers fans are showing their true colors right now. Walker had a major knee injury that could seriously impact his abilities. A wide recievers legs are just as important as a QB's arm.

Av9114
03-10-2006, 02:30 PM
The difference is that we arent going to have to spend 10mil in guaranteed money on this guy.

Boltfan56
03-10-2006, 02:38 PM
You know what? I am kinda tired of the Chargers always saving money and being frugal. Everyone talks about us having money but I would rather talk about how we won the super bowl. I hope we go out and spend some F***ing money this year and pull someone in that will help win and not to just teach the younger guys how to almost get to the top. God knows I love the Chargers and have for 20 some odd years. But lets spend some $. I want to spend on good deals but at least start doing something. In the business world you spend money to make money and in the sports world you need to spend to win.

Bullgod
03-10-2006, 02:38 PM
I dont't know if AJ is willing to spend that kind of money. This whole build through the draft is gonna go to far with him. It kinda pisses me off. The Bolts are on the verge of something great. They need to spend this year in free-agency to take them to the next level. They need to bring a safety in(Chris Hope, Marlon Mcree), a gaurd(LeCharles Bently), and another threat other than Gates.....Atonio Bryant would be a great addition. No one is hyping this guy in free agency. If bolts could land Javon Walker it would be great. I just don't see AJ putting up the peices to make that happen. Bryant can be had for a good price. Jump on him!!! :Helmet::Bolt::Football:

bolts4ever21
03-10-2006, 02:45 PM
I know wr isn't a pressing need, but it is a need non the less. There is a thin market for wr this year. I know J. Walker is coming off a knee injury. But he is already sprinting in his workouts. A knee is a terrible thing, but I think he could be a good fit here.

Quote from ESPN
"I just don't feel like this is the best place for me to be right now," said Walker, whose relationship with the organization remains fractured following the team's refusal last summer to renegotiate his contract and public criticism at his expense by Favre. "I really have no interest in being in a Green Bay Packers uniform or playing for Green Bay again."

Podium
03-10-2006, 02:46 PM
probably should talk about this in the Javon Walker thread already in progress. here you go:

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=29288

ftwbolt
03-10-2006, 02:51 PM

I'm onboard with eveything you said, and he would definitely have to pass a physical before going any further.

But the only I see is, if A.J. Smith is not willing to keep an injured and rehabbing Drew Brees, why would he take a chance on J Walker.

bolts4ever21
03-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Thank Podium. I didn't think he was a free agent yet, so I didn't look there before I posted.

Boltz2175
03-10-2006, 02:56 PM
walker, burleson, randle el, moulds......just get somebody AJ!!!

Podium
03-10-2006, 02:58 PM
yeah I just noticed that it was in the FA forum. He's not a free agent though. hmm.

JCDavey
03-10-2006, 02:59 PM
walker, burleson, randle el, moulds......just get somebody AJ!!!

out of those guys, i'd pick moulds

burleson's tempting and maybe the cheapest, randle el is a 3rd wr in my opinion (but he would be great for punts), walker is kinda risky due to injury

i think of all those guys moulds is the one who could be a true #1 wr

Spank
03-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Should we look into J. Walker??

Yeah, look into his knee, see that its all messed up and then look into another direction.

Our GM wont sign a probowl player and leader from his own roster and you think he'll go out and get a player with a major knee injury from a different team?

I hope not.....

Av9114
03-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Should we look into J. Walker??

Yeah, look into his knee, see that its all messed up and then look into another direction.

Our GM wont sign a probowl player and leader from his own roster and you think he'll go out and get a player with a major knee injury from a different team?

I hope not.....

AJ tried to sign Brees. He was offered a contract and decided it wasnt good enough. Walker is worth a look...I dont know how much money he's looking for this year, but for the right price he would be a great pick up. Right now he just wants out and would probably be thrilled just to play somewhere else.

TJ21
03-10-2006, 07:10 PM

Lower Draft Picks often equate good players and good depth. We don't have as much depth as you think. We could use solid backups at Safety, Defensive Tackle, CB, and even RB... what if LT and Turner get hurt? Sproles is too small.

LAbolt
03-10-2006, 07:15 PM
out of those guys, i'd pick moulds

burleson's tempting and maybe the cheapest, randle el is a 3rd wr in my opinion (but he would be great for punts), walker is kinda risky due to injury

i think of all those guys moulds is the one who could be a true #1 wr

are u kidding JC? 50yr old moulds over jevon walker 27?? lol no way man.. this guys a stud.. hell come back from his injury i think just fine...

boltskickass21
03-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Jevon, if healthy, can be a stud WR. I would give our 3rd for him, but no more this year. If we had him, that would be H*ll for the opposing secondary with him, Kmac, and Gates (and eventually VJ) running all over the place.

RMANCIL
03-11-2006, 05:29 AM
Lower Draft Picks often equate good players and good depth. We don't have as much depth as you think. We could use solid backups at Safety, Defensive Tackle, CB, and even RB... what if LT and Turner get hurt? Sproles is too small.

Look at the roster and look at the draft and tell me who you cut for the players you draft in the 6-7th rounds.
Keep in mind who you draft in the first 4 or 5 rounds as well.

RMANCIL
03-11-2006, 05:37 AM
I think the reason why a lot of mock drafts have us taking a WR first is simply because they are unenducated to be honest. The Chargers won't pass on a T or S to get a WR and they will do the same in the 2nd round. If they are going to draft a WR it will be in the 3rd-7th round, which doesn't make mucn sense because we already have productive WRs, but we lack the super star.

I agree with you in that we have bigger needs like a OT , that said we do have a need at wr and in the F.A. situation we are not in a either or position in fact the draft and F.A. work hand in hand to fill the teams needs.

BoltsfanNYC
03-11-2006, 06:32 AM
looks like marlon Mcree S panthers will be a CHARGER today!

BoltsfanNYC
03-11-2006, 06:33 AM
HE visits the chargers today and It also says in ESPN that Bentley is already signed... DEAL MADE is the term I think... and we were bringing him in as A guard... where I am sure he would have been an upgrade but unless we also were bringing in mawae I think better at center

BoltsfanNYC
03-11-2006, 06:36 AM
1 piece sorta in now we need to get runyan shaffer or fabini-then target a CB-and ILB-WR....
drafting Nick mangold drafting mangold at 51 would be a dream... I wish we could trade a 07-1st for a 33-39 this year.... I firmly believe these guys will be starters and contracts are better for us!! now... meaning we can have better cap next year as well..

TCUFAN5
03-11-2006, 08:27 AM
we may as well atleast put the offer on the table to see if he bites at it. because the big money guy is going to Philly. so that is something we were willing to pay to split it with Walker and McCree and we still have money left over to throw at Hope and Runyan...maybe Fabini. LETS GET BUSY i know i would sign them

lightzout56
03-11-2006, 09:21 AM
To my knowledge I thought last year was the final year of Walker's contract in Green Bay. Unless the season didn't count becasue of his injury. Javon would be great deep threat for Rivers, Brees, or whoever is playing QB next year for the Bolts.

Lightz Out!!!

Podium
03-11-2006, 09:27 AM
To my knowledge I thought last year was the final year of Walker's contract in Green Bay. Unless the season didn't count becasue of his injury. Javon would be great deep threat for Rivers, Brees, or whoever is playing QB next year for the Bolts.

Lightz Out!!!

No, this is the last year. I thought that too during the season. But, he wanted to renegotiate his contract last season so that he wouldn't have to deal with it this season.

SuperBowlBolts
03-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Hhmm about lloyd?
Washington and San Francisco are nearing a deal that would send a 2006 third-round pick and a 2007 fourth-round selection to the 49ers for wide receiver Brandon Lloyd. Pending a physical, the deal should be completed before the end of the weekend.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9300482
worth it?
I wouldnt mind javon either. But before we think about it get us some quality 0-linemen AJ!

A_GATES_85
03-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Only question will walker be willing to play for inexperienced QB?

ftwbolt
03-11-2006, 08:55 PM
GM Ted Thompson has said that Walker is not going anywhere.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25124531.shtml

The Green Bay Packers entered free agency Friday night facing a crisis with injured receiver Javon Walker that potentially could become as poisonous and costly as the Mike McKenzie debacle of two years ago.

Walker’s contract dispute with the Packers from last year escalated exponentially late this week when he publicly threatened to retire rather than play for the Packers in 2006.

General Manager Ted Thompson responded Friday afternoon with a written public statement that was conciliatory to Walker personally but that insisted he will hold Walker to his contract and will not trade him.

That leaves the Packers facing a potentially drawn-out and destructive dispute with their best young offensive player who wants a new contract but is coming off a major knee injury. It could put both the Packers and Walker in a bad light around the NFL and damage the team’s talent base and chemistry if the differences prove as irreconcilable as Walker has portrayed them.

“I like Javon, certainly as a person and as a player,” Thompson said as part of his written statement released Friday. “That said, Javon is under contract, which he signed as a 2002 first-round draft choice. That contract is governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which was negotiated between the National Football League and the National Football League Players’ Association, and we expect him to honor it.

“There have been several highly publicized cases of player discontent in the National Football League. I don’t anticipate us making any concessions in this matter.”

Neither Thompson nor new coach Mike McCarthy would comment further on the issue Friday. Walker told ESPN.com that he’s informed McCarthy of his desire to be traded and that his agent, Kennard McGuire, formally made the request to Thompson. McGuire could not be reached for comment but is believed to be in regular contact with the Packers

Walker’s dispute certainly threatens the Packers’ 2006 season and beyond, because if he recovers well from knee-reconstruction surgery from last year, he’s their best offensive playmaker and a talent they can hardly can afford to lose for any reason.

On the other hand, the 27-year-old Walker is damaged goods after blowing out his knee in last season’s regular-season opener, and it’s difficult to imagine any NFL team in the Packers’ place giving a lucrative contract extension to a receiver coming off knee-reconstruction surgery without seeing him play in game settings. The Minnesota Vikings refused to extend the contract of quarterback Daunte Culpepper this offseason after he sustained a similar injury last year.

For the same reason, Walker would be difficult to trade, because other teams won’t be willing to give up anything close to the first-round draft pick the Packers spent on him in 2002 until they know how well he’s returned from his injury.

Walker is trying to force the Packers’ hand by going public with his discontent, but to do so he also has to threaten to set back his own career and walk away from a $1.15 million salary this year just to avoid playing for the Packers.

“If I had to go back there, I’d retire,” Walker said. “I don’t have to play.”

Walker’s anger with the Packers bubbled over this week and is rooted in his unfulfilled pursuit of a contract extension last offseason. After deciding not to follow through with a threatened holdout, he sustained a torn anterior-cruciate ligament in his right knee that required reconstructive surgery. He now harbors deep bitterness toward the Packers organization that extends beyond Thompson to quarterback Brett Favre, who rebuked Walker publicly last year for threatening the hold out.

Walker said Favre’s statement broke an unwritten code among players, undermined his pursuit of financial security and turned fan sentiment against him. Walker’s anger with Favre and the Packers is so severe that he even told ESPN.com he’d pay back the final $855,000 portion of his prorated signing bonus to get his release from the team.

“I really have no interest in being in a Green Bay Packers uniform or playing for Green Bay again,” Walker said.

Walker had two years left on his original first-round contract when he approached the Packers about a contract extension last offseason after going to the Pro Bowl. Thompson refused to discuss an extension, though it appeared possible the sides would begin negotiating during the season if Walker played anything in 2005 like he did in 2004.

Then, this offseason, Thompson again wouldn’t discuss a contract extension because Walker is coming off the injury. Recovery from knee reconstruction usually ranges from nine months to a year and places a player’s future performance in jeopardy — some come back close to what they were before getting hurt, but others don’t regain their former explosiveness.

Walker cited what he considered poor treatment of several teammates as further evidence the Packers are an unattractive to players. He included McKenzie, whom the Packers eventually traded; running back Ahman Green, who like Walker sustained a serious leg injury last season and just recently signed a one-year contract with the team; and curiously included tight end Bubba Franks, who as a designated “transition” player last year eventually received a $7 million signing bonus from the Packers before the start of training camp.

“I’m sad he feels that way,” Franks said while appearing at Packers FanFest on Friday night. “I’d like to have him here, but we’ll see what happens.”

Walker’s original five-year rookie contract, signed in 2002, was worth a minimum of $6.235 million and included $4.5 million in bonuses over the first two years, but after his Pro Bowl season in 2004 he wanted to be paid among the elite receivers in the NFL. His base salary was $515,000 last season and because of escalators in his contract, he’s scheduled to make $1.15 million in base salary this season.

The Packers went through a similar episode in the 2004 offseason with McKenzie, though that was when former coach and GM Mike Sherman had final say over contracts. McKenzie wanted a contract extension with three years remaining on his deal, and when Sherman wouldn’t improve that contract McKenzie threatened to retire if he wasn’t traded.

McKenzie eventually ended his holdout from training camp but was such a malcontent in the locker room that the Packers traded him early in the season anyway.

TheIceCreamMan
03-12-2006, 06:44 AM
i want jevon Walker

GoMathews
03-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Haha. I have a friend who works at Subway where J Walker frequently visits and he said he wanted out (this was three months ago).

BIGWILLIESTYLE
03-12-2006, 11:44 AM
We won't sign him. Why do you think we didn't sign him 2 years ago? He doesn't fit our 3-4 defense.

Podium
03-12-2006, 11:45 AM
We won't sign him. Why do you think we didn't sign him 2 years ago? He doesn't fit our 3-4 defense.

Maybe because he doesn't play defense?:confused: Just a guess.

green_tree725
03-12-2006, 12:09 PM
I didn't think that he played defense either. I was under the impression that he played WR.

LTfan4life
03-13-2006, 03:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2361969

Well, it depends on what GB would want for him to trade for him. I say if it's a 2nd rounder or lower, do it. As Bill Parcells did with getting C-Mart from the Pats for a 1st and 3rd rounder, trade for the guy unless there is someone you can draft that you think could/will be better in that round that you are trading the picks for.

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Green Bay doesn't have to let him go. He is still under contract. He has threatened retirement, but I don't see that happening.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him as a Charger but too many things have to happen for this to become a reality. First, GB has to release him or trade him. Secon, AJ has to show interest and then offer him a contract. I don't see the second happening at all, and there may never be a chance because Walker must be released.

boltzman3
03-13-2006, 03:52 PM
i think if AJ is interested...........he's waiting to see how many . teams inquire about walker............i too agree walker would be an instant impact player..but as usual AJ is keeping his thoughts to himself...... which inturn makes everyone nervous.and wondering if AJ once again will sit on the money. or spend it on offensive upgrades.with the accuisition of mc cree i think thats all we'll see ,free agent wise on deffense..

bolts4ever21
03-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Since I really don't see too many more lineman like bentley and hutch, I think we should target them in the draft. With that being said, we should now look to get some other position filled in FA.

On defense with the signing of mccree, I hope we look at Arrington, wouldn't mind bringing in Woodson, Demps seems appealing (if his knee checks out), and of course just for the love of it, bring Seau back.

On offense, we should target another wr. I know he is trouble, but I would rather have Owens here instead of Denver. Picking up a blocking TE would be nice.

If we can work out a trade for Walker, I am okay with that. He does have a small contract so it shouldn't be too much to get him.

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Don't forget that all the money they save on cap goes into the owner's pockets. That has a lot to do with our actions in free agency. I wouldn't be suprised if AJ saw some kick backs from saving the team money.

Football is a business. We can't lose sight of that fact when evaluating a teams actions. Some teams are just willing to spend whatever it takes to win. The Chargers aren't.

Charger Dave
03-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Don't forget that all the money they save on cap goes into the owner's pockets.Err... hoops maybe you better stick with basked bawl - that ain't how it works.

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Err... hoops maybe you better stick with basked bawl - that ain't how it works.

Then how does it work? It seems logical that the money that isn't spent would be an increase in the teams income. Wouldn't that go to the owner. I mean, why would you own a team if you weren't going to make any money from it.

SDFaiderHater
03-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Ya I think we have a good shot at him if AJ decides he wants him. First of all he has a very low salary this year, second it really wouldnt take that much to get him. He is serious about not playing for GB and is going to give them no other choice but to trade him. I think he could be had for a second or a third, and it might not even have to be this year. If you look at other times teams have traded for players that have a year left on their contract it usually doesnt require large compensation. The real cost will be giving him a long term deal he's happy with, but he is hurt right now which should keep those demands reasonable.

the thing is AJ is afraid to sign anyone who isnt a journeyman.

BIGWILLIESTYLE
03-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Maybe because he doesn't play defense?:confused: Just a guess.

Oops...my eyes read Jevon Kearse. ahaha

hoopdreams
03-14-2006, 12:51 AM
Err... hoops maybe you better stick with basked bawl - that ain't how it works.

You must be a wrestler. Don't knock b-ball cause you disagree with me.

ftwbolt
03-14-2006, 08:08 AM
There might not be any more free-agent wideouts of note available, but the Eagles could trade for Javon Walker (http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14093361.htm)from the Packers, assuming Green Bay is moved to grant Walker's trade request. Coming off ACL surgery, Walker wouldn't require anything lavish. Of course, he also might not be full speed this coming season, either.

Chargeroo
03-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Javon Walker results are nothing that special -

1st season: 23 rec 319 yards 1 td
2nd season: 41 rec 716 yards 9 tds

If he asking for more than he's earned?

Alibell1
03-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Then how does it work? It seems logical that the money that isn't spent would be an increase in the teams income. Wouldn't that go to the owner. I mean, why would you own a team if you weren't going to make any money from it.

If you go into pro sports ownership to turn a profit you're a fool. The guys that try to run their teams like a business are the ones that fail.

Alibell1
03-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Javon Walker results are nothing that special -

1st season: 23 rec 319 yards 1 td
2nd season: 41 rec 716 yards 9 tds

If he asking for more than he's earned?

Does his third season not count?

hankster
03-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Sorry to be off post, but referring to the earlier post, take a look at the spanos company on the web. They are filthy rich mainly from real estate development (building apartments) in California. I doubt if 20 million means doodly to them compared to winning a superbowl. The old man is OLD and I think winning a superbowl before he dies has got to be up there above saving a few bucks. Actually, to suggest that they are trying to pad the bottom line is silly (that's putting it nicely).

sonorajim
03-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Don't forget that all the money they save on cap goes into the owner's pockets. That has a lot to do with our actions in free agency. I wouldn't be suprised if AJ saw some kick backs from saving the team money.

Football is a business. We can't lose sight of that fact when evaluating a teams actions. Some teams are just willing to spend whatever it takes to win. The Chargers aren't.
Cap space is pocket change compared to the profits made by consistent winners who attain national popularity. The spending out of cap money isn't a magic bullet. The Redskins would win the Super Bowl every year if that were true. The Chargers are more in line with the Patriots model in FA. It seems to have worked reasonably well for them.

Chargeroo
03-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Does his third season not count?
I blew it, I thought this was his third season -
2005 Green Bay Packers 1 1 4 27

(he was injured)

Actually, his third season was very good.

Chargeroo
03-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Cap space is pocket change compared to the profits made by consistent winners who attain national popularity. The spending out of cap money isn't a magic bullet. The Redskins would win the Super Bowl every year if that were true. The Chargers are more in line with the Patriots model in FA. It seems to have worked reasonably well for them.
That's all true. I have often wondered if AJ got his ideas about how to run the team from watching the Pats? He sure seems to running this in a similar manner.

raiderhaiter619
03-19-2006, 12:20 PM
not to mention the spanos family raises the friggen ticket prices every year now,so they are making a grip of money off that.Let me just ask this....How can you raise the price off tickets up 8 dollars per,which as a season ticket holder,is 80 more dollars out of my pocket and not do anything in free agency...Why cant AJ fulfill the obviuous needs of the chargers,we are so close to being a great team

TCUFAN5
03-19-2006, 12:25 PM
sign him we need him..

Farmer808
03-19-2006, 12:51 PM
he would huge on the chargers

JoeMcRugby
03-19-2006, 01:50 PM
sign him we need him..
He's under contract with the Packers through the 2006 season.

The Chargers can't sign him. :Bolt:

Lightswitch
03-19-2006, 01:57 PM
I don't want him anyway. We can sign 2 good O-Line guys for what he wants.

JoeMcRugby
03-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Don't forget that all the money they save on cap goes into the owner's pockets.
And no cap money has gone into the Spanos' pockets in 1994 - or 1995 - or 1996 - or 1997 - or 1998 - or 1999 - or 2000 - or 2001 - or 2002 - or 2003 - or 2004 - or 2005.

When it gets to the end of the 2006 season, I suspect it will be the same as all the other seasons from 1994 through 2005: Spanos and the Chargers will spend all of the money under the cap on free agents, rookies and contract extensions. :Bolt:

Alibell1
03-19-2006, 02:53 PM
not to mention the spanos family raises the friggen ticket prices every year now,so they are making a grip of money off that.Let me just ask this....How can you raise the price off tickets up 8 dollars per,which as a season ticket holder,is 80 more dollars out of my pocket and not do anything in free agency...Why cant AJ fulfill the obviuous needs of the chargers,we are so close to being a great team

See below and you'll sleep better at night.

LarryAW
03-19-2006, 03:42 PM

Do you notice how much the salary cap goes up each year? FYI:

According to ESPN the Magazine, 27 Mar 06, the Chargers, Jacksonville, Oakland and a couple of other teams are hard up for cash. The salary cap at $102 million helps teams like the Redskins and the Cowboys. The Redskins' revenues in 2004 were $287 million. The chargers revenues were $165 million. If you subtract this years' salary cap ($102 million) from the Redskins' 2004 revenues, they would still have $20 million more in revenues remaining ($185 million) than the Chargers started with, $165 million. There are a lot more costs involved in running this team than players' salaries. The Chargers are, and have been, building this team through the draft, and re-signing their own players to long-term contracts. The new cba did very little for the teams in the bottom quarter in revenues, ESPN the Magazine reported in their last issue (27 Mar 06). The Chargers are 30th in revenues. Arizona's 2004 revenues were $153 million, putting them last. The Vikings' revenues in 2004 were $163 million, $1 million less than the Chargers, placing them 31st.

Every year, the Chargers have very little room left in the salary cap. At this point, we have no idea what they are going to do. The really good teams, e.g., Colts, New England, Pittsburgh don't go crazy with Free Agency early on. The Redskins' owner has the most revenues in football, and the owner goes crazy buying free agents trying to build a championship every year. He's football's Steinbrenner. To date, it hasn't worked. The Cowboys just signed T.O. as you know. The Cowboys have the 3rd highest revenues in football. The Browns are desperate and they are going after everyone they can. They rank 6th in revenues. I think the Broncos rank 7th in revenues.

The higher the salary cap goes, the worse off this team and other small market teams are. That is why they are pushing for a new stadium in San Diego county, e.g., Oceanside/Chula Vista. If they don't get one, they will be forced to move.

fregon
03-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Do you notice how much the salary cap goes up each year? FYI:

According to ESPN the Magazine, 27 Mar 06, the Chargers, Jacksonville, Oakland and a couple of other teams are hard up for cash. The salary cap at $102 million helps teams like the Redskins and the Cowboys. The Redskins' revenues in 2004 were $287 million. The chargers revenues were $165 million. If you subtract this years' salary cap ($102 million) from the Redskins' 2004 revenues, they would still have $20 million more in revenues remaining ($185 million) than the Chargers started with, $165 million. There are a lot more costs involved in running this team than players' salaries. The Chargers are, and have been, building this team through the draft, and re-signing their own players to long-term contracts. The new cba did very little for the teams in the bottom quarter in revenues, ESPN the Magazine reported in their last issue (27 Mar 06). The Chargers are 30th in revenues. Arizona's 2004 revenues were $153 million, putting them last. The Vikings' revenues in 2004 were $163 million, $1 million less than the Chargers, placing them 31st.

Every year, the Chargers have very little room left in the salary cap. At this point, we have no idea what they are going to do. The really good teams, e.g., Colts, New England, Pittsburgh don't go crazy with Free Agency early on. The Redskins' owner has the most revenues in football, and the owner goes crazy buying free agents trying to build a championship every year. He's football's Steinbrenner. To date, it hasn't worked. The Cowboys just signed T.O. as you know. The Cowboys have the 3rd highest revenues in football. The Browns are desperate and they are going after everyone they can. They rank 6th in revenues. I think the Broncos rank 7th in revenues.

The higher the salary cap goes, the worse off this team and other small market teams are. That is why they are pushing for a new stadium in San Diego county, e.g., Oceanside/Chula Vista. If they don't get one, they will be forced to move.

Well said man... To add to your comments I will like to say that ticket prices are among the cheapest in the NFL compared to any team. So to say that the Spanos are just hogging all the profits and not doing anything about FA is just plain ignorance. Hopefully with a new stadium we can become among the top revenue teams so we can sign better players with more money upfront.

TheIceCreamMan
03-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Javon get over herre now!!!!