PDA

View Full Version : 20 mil in cap space, I expect quality signings.

Brees Fan71786
03-10-2006, 08:12 PM
AJ if you are going to let your boy PR start then why don't you do LT and Rivers a favor and spend some bucks on Hutchison, or Bently. We need quality lineman, not just more competition at the positions. Do LT the favor by giving him running space again thus making our offense more manageable for your boy.

L.T. - 21
03-10-2006, 08:21 PM
man, who cares what you expect?

Brees Fan71786
03-10-2006, 08:24 PM
I do. it would put me at ease.

WVBOLTFAN
03-10-2006, 08:26 PM
AJ if you are going to let your boy PR start then why don't you do LT and Rivers a favor and spend some bucks on Hutchison, or Bently. We need quality lineman, not just more competition at the positions. Do LT the favor by giving him running space again thus making our offense more manageable for your boy.
Wait a minute,you're talking about the Chargers.They don't spend the money to get top free agents,I thought that was common knowledge.

L.T. - 21
03-10-2006, 08:26 PM
ok ill give you that one

Brees Fan71786
03-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Wait a minute,you're talking about the Chargers.They don't spend the money to get top free agents,I thought that was common knowledge.

If only they did. Imagine an O line that could run block. All this talk of Brees vs Rivers would be non existant if we had some lineman that could run block for the best running back in the NFL. and its not like the chargers don't have any money to spend.

WVBOLTFAN
03-10-2006, 08:37 PM
If only they did. Imagine an O line that could run block. All this talk of Brees vs Rivers would be non existant if we had some lineman that could run block for the best running back in the NFL. and its not like the chargers don't have any money to spend.

It's actually a damn shame that they are so cheap because we are so close to being a Super Bowl contender and they don't do the things necessary to makie it happen.

We have a great RB,a very good run defense,and had a very good QB.All they had or have to do is add just a few pieces to the puzzle and we could win it all,but they are not as committed to winning as some fans would like to think.It's getting very old!

Thunderstruck
03-10-2006, 08:43 PM
So much ignorance. Yeah...the Chargers are cheap. Umm...yeah. Ok.

:rolleyes:

WVBOLTFAN
03-10-2006, 08:47 PM
So much ignorance. Yeah...the Chargers are cheap. Umm...yeah. Ok.

:rolleyes:

Facts are facts!I guess you are one of the sheep that follow blindly........

Thunderstruck
03-10-2006, 08:48 PM
That's why they wasted $13 million in signing bonuses for Ryan Leaf. That's why they made LT the highest paid RB in the NFL at the time his contract was signed. That's why they handed PR a $17 million signing bonus. That's why they spent big money on free agents such as Marcellus Wiley, Stephen Alexander, and David Boston. That's why they signed Antonio Gates to a $30 million contract, and that's why they extended the contracts of guys like Jamal Williams and Lorenzo Neal. That's why every season they spend right up to the max amount allowed under the cap.

Why don't you guys learn about the team and the game of football before you start banging on your keyboards? Or is it that you are ticked off about something else, and so you just feel like slamming the team for something, whether it's true or not...

WVBOLTFAN
03-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Wasting money on lower level free agents like Alexander and Wiley.I guess they aren't cheap,just stupid.

yonas
03-10-2006, 08:57 PM
I expect the chargers to do what they always do. That is upgrade with depth a positions of need, and maybe go after some quality FA. We have experienced the years of being over the salary cap, and having to cut guys. Now that AJ has done a great job of managing the cap, some of u want him to blindly spend it on any top FA. Thank god, you don't call the shots becuase we would end up like the Raiders if that's the case.

LABoltsFan
03-10-2006, 09:02 PM
if brees goes, i expect that upgrading the o-line is a must...
its a simple formula, the better year LT has the better the chargers do..

if brees is gone, i expect the offense will be simple, and will be designed around the strengths... and we will do what so many other teams have done with (sub)par quarterbacks - dont let them throw the ball... and when they do limit their ability to make mistakes.... this means a lot of simple "****" passes, and a lot of LT Time....

the schedule is soft this year, so it may be a good time to break in a rookie qb.... with the right additions, we still may be able to make the playoffs (but the superbowl is a very remote possibility.)

Brees Fan71786
03-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I expect the chargers to do what they always do. That is upgrade with depth a positions of need, and maybe go after some quality FA. We have experienced the years of being over the salary cap, and having to cut guys. Now that AJ has done a great job of managing the cap, some of u want him to blindly spend it on any top FA. Thank god, you don't call the shots becuase we would end up like the Raiders if that's the case.

Why not actually try and contend this next season. We dont have an O line that makes LT as great of a back as he could be. Our next season's success will be based on how many yards we make on the ground on first and second down. Our coach is Marty, and we have an inexperienced QB who is going to need to manage an offense. That spells out running game to me.

There is nothing wrong with going out and spending big bucks on a great O lineman that will immediately improve our o line. If we try and compete for a championship this year then we don't have to worry about what were going to do next year when we need to replace our ageing Linebacking Corps. This is the year to make a move.

Thunderstruck
03-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Wasting money on lower level free agents like Alexander and Wiley.I guess they aren't cheap,just stupid.

Hind-sight is 20-20, I guess. Thing is, that's the problem with going out and spending the money on "quality" free-agents. Many times they don't pan out, and then you're left holding a multi-million dollar bag of nothing. When the Chargers signed Wiley he was considered the top FA defensive-lineman that offseason. When the Chargers signed Boston, he was by FAR the top FA wide receiver.

Here's what I think. I think you don't have facts, you have emotion. You're ticked off and you want to lash out at the Chargers' management. Well, if you're going to lash out, at least lash out about something that you can back up with facts. The Bolts have never hesitated to go after free agents they like. They may not agree to terms with every free agent they like, but who does? But right now you are tilting at windmills and I will tell you this; those of us who have followed this team for decades look at posts like yours and shake our heads, because they are so totally grounded in falsehood.

BoltsfanNYC
03-10-2006, 09:10 PM
mawai or bentley and runyan willdo great or shaffer... then draft one in top 2 rounds... a WR sign a hope or archuleta...

Brees Fan71786
03-10-2006, 09:14 PM
I don't know why people get trashed on for wanting the chargers to be active in FA. seems like a no brainer to me.

iodude122
03-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Thunderstruck,

What would you like to see done?
Do you expect AJ to go after any big names?

Thunderstruck
03-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Thunderstruck,

What would you like to see done?
Do you expect AJ to go after any big names?

I have no idea what AJ's plans are. I would anticipate offensive-line and free-safety being our top priorities. I also anticipate that he will go after the player he judges to be best for the Chargers system, and that's not always the "big name." If that's LeCharles Bentley, then he'll make a run at Bentley. If it's Runyun, he'll pursue Runyun.

However, I do not think AJ will say, "this guy's a big-name player, I don't want him." AJ will try to get the player at the price the player's worth, and not spend more than the player's worth, and that's absolutely the smart thing to do.

Remember, "big name" does not usually equate to "big performance." NFL free agency is replete with players who signed huge contracts with a new team and then failed to perform at anywhere near their former level. It happens every single year, yet every single year we hear the same mantra. "AJ, you MUST sign so-and-so, or you MUST go after X because he was a pro-bowler in 2004..." etc. etc.

IowaCharger79
03-10-2006, 09:24 PM
The Chargers are $28 million under the new cap. They didn't give Brees a fair contract for his services. He wanted to be a Charger and just wanted a fair contract his first year with the option for the next five. Now we have to go and find another quarterback.

Smith's decision to let Brees walk added to the friction he's had with coach Marty Schottenheimer. Schottenheimer was unhappy when Smith traded third-string quarterback Cleo Lemon (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/316202) to Miami for A.J. Feeley (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235056) and a draft pick during last season. And Smith was believed to be upset that Schottenheimer didn't start Rivers over Brees in the meaningless season finale. Rivers looked shaky when he replaced the injured Brees.
"I know they've got issues that are beyond me," Brees said.
Smith's decision to make Brees a free agent seemingly goes against two of his core beliefs: quarterback depth, which is why he wouldn't trade Brees or Rivers, and taking care of the team's own players first
While wishing the best for the players and coaches he'd leave behind, Brees sagely noted: "They've got to get another quarterback, anyway."
San Diego's other quarterback, Feeley, didn't play after his midseason acquisition from Miami, where he was a bust.

Brees Fan71786
03-10-2006, 09:26 PM
ah 28 million aye, ******* just sign a freaking top notch lineman. at least 1 it cant cost more than 8 mil. if that. just do it aj for LT's sake.

Thunderstruck
03-10-2006, 09:36 PM
ah 28 million aye, ******* just sign a freaking top notch lineman. at least 1 it cant cost more than 8 mil. if that. just do it aj for LT's sake.

While I want to see us secure the offensive line, there's only one guy in free agency who is a "top-notch" offensive lineman, and that's Bentley. A lot of the other "name" guys have some big question marks. Runyun is not young...and several of the other guys may not be all that much better than what we already have.

Don't forget, the Chargers are not 100% in control of whether or not a player signs with the team. We could offer Bentley a terrific contract and if he simply wants to play for the Eagles, for whatever reason, we will be SOL, and it will have nothing to do with being cheap.

Don't forget also that free-agency is not the ONLY way to land players. AJ could make trades and there's still the draft in April. This offseason hasn't even begun and already I'm hearing people complain about how we haven't done anything.

TJ21
03-10-2006, 09:51 PM
man, who cares what you expect?
I do. I like to read other posters opinions. I hope that answered your question. :mad:

I think AJ knows what he has to do this year. Last year it was about returning players, this year it's about improving positions. Last year AJ returned all of our starters, so by that trend, he should improve all of our positions. :)

knowsthebolt
03-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Signing the likes of Leaf and Rivers to big contracts is what you have to do when you draft in the top 5 the market sets those contracts. The previous GM sign Marcellus Wiley and David Boston to the huge deals. They had to sign LT to the huge deal he's the best RB in football and the face of your franchise and that was prompted by Dean Spanos not AJ, and AG is not the highest paid TE in the League even though he's the best one. Don't be at all suprised if we end up with Marlon MCree and some backups and they keep cap money for down the road.

BoltsfanNYC
03-10-2006, 10:47 PM
what road? We need a TOP Olineman..... and a top Safety... that is all then fill in and draft!

discodoc
03-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Signing the likes of Leaf and Rivers to big contracts is what you have to do when you draft in the top 5 the market sets those contracts. The previous GM sign Marcellus Wiley and David Boston to the huge deals. They had to sign LT to the huge deal he's the best RB in football and the face of your franchise and that was prompted by Dean Spanos not AJ, and AG is not the highest paid TE in the League even though he's the best one. Don't be at all suprised if we end up with Marlon MCree and some backups and they keep cap money for down the road.

The cap goes up every year. I don't see how sitting on a lot of cap space at the end of the year is advantageous considering we are in a position to make a SB run right now. I don't necessarily expect SD to spend the max either, but if Brees walks and we end up with $10MM+ of extra cap space the fans should be irritated, and rightly so.

BoltsfanNYC
03-10-2006, 10:51 PM
use the 8+ mil on Bentley hutchinson! runyan... OMG! thenDRAFT and sign a decent S....

knowsthebolt
03-10-2006, 10:53 PM
what road? We need a TOP Olineman..... and a top Safety... that is all then fill in and draft!

Figure of speech. I agree we do need a top lineman and top safety, what I'm saying is don't expect either, they'll probably sign one of each just not the names we want. Then just remain under the cap. I hope I'm wrong, but with all the teams participating in FA the Chargers will have woo potential FA's. aaand I doubt they'll do it.

WVBOLTFAN
03-11-2006, 08:26 AM
use the 8+ mil on Bentley hutchinson! runyan... OMG! thenDRAFT and sign a decent S....

ESPN is already reporting Bentley has turned down a visit to S.D.

Figured that would happen,the top players around the league don't want to come here.They want to go to a team that actually has an ownership and front office that is committed to winning and not just saving a buck all the time.

TCUFAN5
03-11-2006, 08:39 AM

Figured that would happen,the top players around the league don't want to come here.They want to go to a team that actually has an ownership and front office that is committed to winning and not just saving a buck all the time.

How are you guys getting so upset on the first day of the FA i could see if this was the last day and we only had one visit its the first freaking day..calm down and watch AJ work...

WVBOLTFAN
03-11-2006, 08:42 AM
How are you guys getting so upset on the first day of the FA i could see if this was the last day and we only had one visit its the first freaking day..calm down and watch AJ work...

It's like this most years!There will be no BIG names signing with us,we'll be lucky if any of them actually even come for a visit!We'll just bring in the normal lower level free agents we always do that will just keep us good,but never great.

Whopper Stopper
03-11-2006, 08:44 AM
It's actually a damn shame that they are so cheap because we are so close to being a Super Bowl contender and they don't do the things necessary to makie it happen.

We have a great RB,a very good run defense,and had a very good QB.All they had or have to do is add just a few pieces to the puzzle and we could win it all,but they are not as committed to winning as some fans would like to think.It's getting very old!

Whats the point of being in great cap position every year and then spent it to create "competition". If the guy you needed to replace sucked so bad, I don't want to bring in a guy who might beat him out in camp. We brought in Jue to create competition last season because our 2ndary was horrible in 04 and what a surprise, it was one of the two weak links in 05 also. I get that aj wants to build through the draft and has been nothing short of brilliant the last two seasons (merriman,rivers,etc.) but being so close to the dance now, we should take some damn chances. I think we should have gone after bentley and hutch. sign them and if they arent working out in a couple years than trade them. I wish aj's prioroty is to get the best line in the nfl, if we had it we would be unstoppable.

boltskickass21
03-11-2006, 08:59 AM
That's why they wasted $13 million in signing bonuses for Ryan Leaf. That's why they made LT the highest paid RB in the NFL at the time his contract was signed. That's why they handed PR a $17 million signing bonus. That's why they spent big money on free agents such as Marcellus Wiley, Stephen Alexander, and David Boston. That's why they signed Antonio Gates to a $30 million contract, and that's why they extended the contracts of guys like Jamal Williams and Lorenzo Neal. That's why every season they spend right up to the max amount allowed under the cap.

Why don't you guys learn about the team and the game of football before you start banging on your keyboards? Or is it that you are ticked off about something else, and so you just feel like slamming the team for something, whether it's true or not...
Good point. I think that those that are bashing the chargers for being cheap are rather upset because of last years FA and they dont really see us resigning players as "signing players". I disagree. We spend out money wisely and dont overpay people (exeption: Ryan Leaf). AJ is too smart to blow a bunch of money on one guy (watch this will turn into a "If AJ is so smart, then why did he not sign Brees" reply). Sure, I would love to see some of the top FA in San Diego, but when teams offer more than we do and are perenial winners, then who do you think the player will go to? Huh? AJ sets a value for each player and rarely gets in a bidding war for a player.

Podium
03-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Good point. I think that those that are bashing the chargers for being cheap are rather upset because of last years FA and they dont really see us resigning players as "signing players". I disagree. We spend out money wisely and dont overpay people (exeption: Ryan Leaf). AJ is too smart to blow a bunch of money on one guy (watch this will turn into a "If AJ is so smart, then why did he not sign Brees" reply). Sure, I would love to see some of the top FA in San Diego, but when teams offer more than we do and are perenial winners, then who do you think the player will go to? Huh? AJ sets a value for each player and rarely gets in a bidding war for a player.

Yeah, I agree with you there:Beer:

Some people want AJ to sign Law to the 10M in signing bonus, at 7M per year, that Clayton reports he's looking for.

I'll pass on that.

cstu
03-11-2006, 10:03 AM

Some people want AJ to sign Law to the 10M in signing bonus, at 7M per year, that Clayton reports he's looking for.

I'll pass on that.

Law's value is down the tubes after the deal Madison got from the Giants.

cstu
03-11-2006, 10:10 AM

What a lot of us are mad about is that the team (with or without Brees) is several players away from being dominant. It's frustrating to see the players we need out there and us not signing them, even if we have to overpay slightly. Guys like Bentley and Hope are worth giving money to since they are Pro Bowl caliber and fit our weak spots. When the team has $20M under the cap and decided not to keep Brees, it's only natural to EXPECT A.J to spend the money to improve the team and get us to the next level.

LarryAW
03-11-2006, 11:03 AM

I'll pass on that.

Me, too. I think Foley and Godfrey were great signings, but they weren't big-name signings. All I care about is production on the field.

Boltfan92153
03-11-2006, 12:15 PM
I would get the cheap guys who are team first than the big names that are big contracts

Av9114
03-11-2006, 02:00 PM
I really wanted to see them go after Bentley too. But the truth is that AJ and co. know a lot more about these guys than any of us. It really is important at this point that we continue to improve the overall team and bring in good team first players.

Thunderstruck
03-11-2006, 02:03 PM
The Chargers wanted to go after Bentley, but he never got out of the northeast...

jachba
03-11-2006, 02:07 PM

Which reminds me of our beloved Maple Leafs here in Toronto. The only difference is that the Leafs aren't so much into saving money as they are about maximizing profits for the teachers' union that controls a large amount of Leafs' stock.

ChampCharger
03-11-2006, 02:19 PM
What people seem to forget is that there is a difference between the top Free Agents and the others.

The Top Free Agents Earn Their Money.

Steve Hutchinson just blocked for the #1 yard gainer last year.
Ty Law just tied for the most INTs in the NFL. (Not to mention his SB's)
Bentley was a pro bowler and he's young.
Brees has the #1 QB rating in Charger history...he helped resurrect our team after being thrown to the wolves with a horrible team early in his career. He was a pro bowler two years in a row. (last year's schedule was like a non-stop playoff)

The money teams offer these players, is what they deserve. For some reason AJ thinks we have to save money on players like these. Offer them what HE thinks they deserve. However he should consider what other teams think they deserve...because if he really wants the players who will help this team win a Super Bowl he has to give up a little money.

Finding a player like Tom Brady or Troy Polamalu happens less often then signing a player of their caliber and even with veteran leadership, and filling the pieces to a potential Super Bowl team.

knowsthebolt
03-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I've gone from being completely excited about are chances in free agency, to being resigned to the fact that the Chargers will do very little, but hey we'll still be like 15 million under the cap for next year. That last part was sarcastic.

Tomlinson21
03-11-2006, 02:35 PM
So much for Hutch and Bentley...but I hear what your saying man....I feel ya...

AJ better get the job or it's his job to lose next year before it's Marty's I'd think.

hoopdreams
03-11-2006, 04:51 PM
So much for Hutch and Bentley...but I hear what your saying man....I feel ya...

AJ better get the job or it's his job to lose next year before it's Marty's I'd think.

I hope he does (lose his job). First, he gets rid of Brees. Justification? That we sign good free agents with the cap space. Now, it's looking like we may not sign any big name players and are just letting Brees go so Rivers can play. I am speaking a little prematurely, but if we fail to sign anyone then I think it's time for a mutiny.

bolts4ever21
03-11-2006, 04:53 PM
I hope he does (lose his job). First, he gets rid of Brees. Justification? That we sign good free agents with the cap space. Now, it's looking like we may not sign any big name players and are just letting Brees go so Rivers can play. I am speaking a little prematurely, but if we fail to sign anyone then I think it's time for a mutiny.

Did you see the deal on the home page that the Chargers have on the table for Brees? He isn't letting him go, Brees just doesn't want to sign. It is a good deal and if he feels like his going to recover, then why not take it. If he is such a team guy?

Alibell1
03-11-2006, 04:57 PM
It's like this most years!There will be no BIG names signing with us,we'll be lucky if any of them actually even come for a visit!We'll just bring in the normal lower level free agents we always do that will just keep us good,but never great.

I can't find it anywhere on the net and I've been looking for days, but I was wondering if you could tell me how many Super Bowls have been won by the Washington Redskins since "Deep Pockets" Daniel has taken over the team?

I would assume it's quite a few considering huge spending = championships.

hoopdreams
03-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Did you see the deal on the home page that the Chargers have on the table for Brees? He isn't letting him go, Brees just doesn't want to sign. It is a good deal and if he feels like his going to recover, then why not take it. If he is such a team guy?

He hasn't made an effort to compromise either. I have seen the deal and it seems reasonable but I wouldn't mind spending a little more if we're not going to use the money elsewhere.

WVBOLTFAN
03-11-2006, 05:05 PM
What a lot of us are mad about is that the team (with or without Brees) is several players away from being dominant. It's frustrating to see the players we need out there and us not signing them, even if we have to overpay slightly. Guys like Bentley and Hope are worth giving money to since they are Pro Bowl caliber and fit our weak spots. When the team has $20M under the cap and decided not to keep Brees, it's only natural to EXPECT A.J to spend the money to improve the team and get us to the next level.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Alibell1
03-11-2006, 05:24 PM
I wish some of you had enough money to buy your own team just to watch you guys %@#* it up like Danny boy in Washington.

Another question for the guys that like to spend other people's money on "big names". How many "big name" free agents did the Pats sign when they won 3 Big Ones in 4 years?

bigruday
03-11-2006, 05:32 PM
I wish some of you had enough money to buy your own team just to watch you guys %@#* it up like Danny boy in Washington.

Another question for the guys that like to spend other people's money on "big names". How many "big name" free agents did the Pats sign when they won 3 Big Ones in 4 years?

What do we have to loose by signing "big Free agents" what another non-playoff year.
we have one playoff game in the last 10 years what are the chargers so affraid of? We have nothing to loose. This organization has been the laughing stock of the league. Danny boy spends money he tries and while he watched the playoffs from the sidelines the chargers watched the playoffs from home!!!
The pats didn't sign Corey DIllon last year to help them win a super bowl. That guy sounds like another unproven type of player the chargers seem to always sign

JerryinCA
03-11-2006, 05:36 PM

I thought AJ didn't discuss football business in public? I guess he does when it suits him but then again he always has. I'm sure their is more to the whole thing with Drew than either side is saying quite frankly and ofcourse anything the team puts up on it's website is going to be something that makes the team look good not bad.

bigruday
03-11-2006, 05:38 PM
I've gone from being completely excited about are chances in free agency, to being resigned to the fact that the Chargers will do very little, but hey we'll still be like 15 million under the cap for next year. That last part was sarcastic.

I was exciting, but then I realized hey were going to bring guys to compete for a starting job. My feelings is if we bring in a guy to compete in a area were the chargers were not good, then how much of an improvement will it be??
We are way under the cap, why cant we go after the best lineman in the game(hutch). He is too expensive? THats BS to me! Watching LT run into a wall of defensive linemen is BS To me

Alibell1
03-11-2006, 05:38 PM
What do we have to loose by signing "big Free agents" what another non-playoff year.
we have one playoff game in the last 10 years what are the chargers so affraid of? We have nothing to loose. This organization has been the laughing stock of the league. Danny boy spends money he tries and while he watched the playoffs from the sidelines the chargers watched the playoffs from home!!!
The pats didn't sign Corey DIllon last year to help them win a super bowl. That guy sounds like another unproven type of player the chargers seem to always sign

So Washington has made one trip to the playoffs since Danny boy took over and that's been how many years. AJ has been captain of the ship for 2 years now and has produced two straight winning seasons with one trip to the playoffs. Jesus Christ, Rome wasn't built in a day.

BoltsfanNYC
03-11-2006, 05:41 PM
ok guys new shopping list....
one of the following please!
Mike williams-kenyatta walker-lj sehlton-jon runyan-jason fabini-
ILB-BART SCOTT---
C-kevin mawai or jeff mitchell
S-mccree or archuleta!
draft sinorice MOss or chad jackson 1st round...then get LSU tackle in the 2nd... bets safety-cb-g then Robinson in 5th...

woohoo!!!

Alibell1
03-11-2006, 05:43 PM
ok guys new shopping list....
one of the following please!
Mike williams-kenyatta walker-lj sehlton-jon runyan-jason fabini-
ILB-BART SCOTT---
C-kevin mawai or jeff mitchell
S-mccree or archuleta!
draft sinorice MOss or chad jackson 1st round...then get LSU tackle in the 2nd... bets safety-cb-g then Robinson in 5th...

woohoo!!!

Dude, help me out here, I lost my decoder ring again.

bigruday
03-11-2006, 05:46 PM
So Washington has made one trip to the playoffs since Danny boy took over and that's been how many years. AJ has been captain of the ship for 2 years now and has produced two straight winning seasons with one trip to the playoffs. Jesus Christ, Rome wasn't built in a day.

You forget that while AJ is new here, The spanos family still owns the team! What have they been doing for the last 10 years??

Alibell1
03-11-2006, 05:54 PM
You forget that while AJ is new here, The spanos family still owns the team! What have they been doing for the last 10 years??

Letting a couple has been's run the football side of things. Beathard thought he could still pull guys from directional schools in the first round, even after the rest of the league realized that smaller schools had tallent too. This is mean but true, but the Chargers got lucky when Butler became sick. The Spanos family may write the checks, but they have a much smarter man doing the shopping.

Hey, look at where all the Madden spending got the Chiefs last year. Every Chief fan on the planet thought that D would be the second coming of the '85 Bears and they still sucked it up.

Free spending does not equate to a championship, prudent spending does.

sundeval
03-11-2006, 05:59 PM
I dont have an opinion on whether the team is cheap or not, but what i see happening this year isnt instilling alot of confidence in me towards management. This team is so close, everyone sees that, but is missing a few pieces that AJ needs to go out and get. I dont know if its AJ or Spanos holding back the reins, but what i do know is if this team doesnt start to make some moves, we'll be having another underachieving, disappointing year in 2006.

Brees Fan71786
03-11-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm just worried that if we don't produce a team fast that can compete for a SB then were going to waste another year off of LT's career, and our veteran LB core will be a little too old to be effective. I know we have Merriman, Phillips, and Wilhelm but we also have Foley, Godfrey, and Edwards who are all in there 30's and not getting any younger. the time is now. But obviously some dont agree with me.

I'm telling you guys our next season is going to be on LT's shoulders and if we don't have a line that can give him holes to run through consistantly the next season is going to be a big flop. Anyone like Max Jean-Gilles? i know i'd like to see him drafted by the bolts.

Alibell1
03-11-2006, 06:41 PM
I dont have an opinion on whether the team is cheap or not, but what i see happening this year isnt instilling alot of confidence in me towards management. This team is so close, everyone sees that, but is missing a few pieces that AJ needs to go out and get. I dont know if its AJ or Spanos holding back the reins, but what i do know is if this team doesnt start to make some moves, we'll be having another underachieving, disappointing year in 2006.

AJ puts a dollar value on every player and he won't go over it. I think that's smart spending in today's NFL. Cleveland was willing to shell out huge dollars to Bentley and they probably overpaid for his services. Cleveland has gone a spending spree and they probably won't make the playoffs.

The Chargers will spend wisely and will still be a contender. I would rather be happy in January than in March.