PDA

View Full Version : Bolts in hunt for another FS

realpinoy1
03-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Smith said the team has not finalized plans to bring in any other players. He would not specify whom he is contemplating bringing. He did reiterate that the Chargers will not create bold headlines with their moves in free agency.

“We don't have a lot of activity,” said Smith, who prefers to build with the draft. “I'm just trying to get a few things done.”

The team is believed to be interested in bringing in another safety for a visit. The team also plans to land a cornerback to play nickel, as Jamar Fletcher is expected to depart via free agency.

ChargerCohen
03-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Smith said the team has not finalized plans to bring in any other players. He would not specify whom he is contemplating bringing. He did reiterate that the Chargers will not create bold headlines with their moves in free agency.

“We don't have a lot of activity,” said Smith, who prefers to build with the draft. “I'm just trying to get a few things done.”

Isn't this the exact opposite of what he said when he announced that Brees' departure would get us some cap room. I didn't think LCB was Smith's entire offseason plan.

Tomlinson21
03-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Expect a Corner in the draft...Sammy Davis and Jamar Fletcher are good as gone. Expect to see some new faces in that line up either via draft or free agency. I think he goes draft for that. Clements and Maddison were on top of my list but their both gone so I assume it would be draft.

bigbolthead21
03-12-2006, 01:27 PM
I hope they bring in andre dyson, or ricky manning

realpinoy1
03-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Maybe the next signing might be Archuleta. Could be a possibility!

hoopdreams
03-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Expect a Corner in the draft...Sammy Davis and Jamar Fletcher are good as gone. Expect to see some new faces in that line up either via draft or free agency. I think he goes draft for that. Clements and Maddison were on top of my list but their both gone so I assume it would be draft.

I hope you're right. I would like to see us get Jimmy Williams. He would fit great in a 3-4 scheme because he's a physical guy. At 6'3" 210 pounds he will intimidate smaller receivers and will be able to battle with the stronger, taller recievers. He would also have the versatility to play safety.

knowsthebolt
03-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Ok so another FS who won't create bold headlines, that crosses Hope off the list, anybody have an idea of who is out there that is a possibility? And what about an Olineman who doesn't create bold headlines? Isn't Archuleta to big of a name.

Dago81Sd
03-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Actually, since Rivers is starting, I would feel much more comfortable getting more depth at O-line VIA both free agency and the draft to improve the running game and pass protection. I'd say that should be the number one priority here on out since we obtained Mcgee.

SD_Connection
03-12-2006, 01:32 PM
another safety??? get Demps!! get Demps!!!

hoopdreams
03-12-2006, 01:32 PM
AJ is alrady creating bold headlines with who we are letting walk. I wish he would create some positive bold headlines for a change.

ChampCharger
03-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Ok so another FS who won't create bold headlines, that crosses Hope off the list, anybody have an idea of who is out there that is a possibility? And what about an Olineman who doesn't create bold headlines? Isn't Archuleta to big of a name.

Well guess AJ doesn't want to improve the running game. The only way he can is by signing big name interior linemen:

Kevin Mawae
Steve Hutchinson

What's his deal?

boLTfan4lf
03-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Well guess AJ doesn't want to improve the running game. The only way he can is by signing big name interior linemen:

Kevin Mawae
Steve Hutchinson

What's his deal?

I heard he already passed on Hutchinson...so...

RIPgriggs
03-12-2006, 01:37 PM
why not dexter jackson

bigbolthead21
03-12-2006, 01:37 PM
AJ is alrady creating bold headlines with who we are letting walk. I wish he would create some positive bold headlines for a change.
FO SHIZZLE!!!!!!!!!!!:p :Beer:

Dago81Sd
03-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Hell, or even Ruyan from the Eagles.

bigbolthead21
03-12-2006, 01:38 PM
why not dexter jackson
who?:confused:

bigbolthead21
03-12-2006, 01:40 PM
how bout tom ashworth from the pats???:rolleyes:

realpinoy1
03-12-2006, 01:42 PM
how bout tom ashworth from the pats???:rolleyes:

He would be an upgrade. Cool avitar man!

56lightsout56
03-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I was interested in Hope until I read this from profootballtalk.com:

LITTLE HOPE FOR CHRIS
Although ESPN's Len Pasquarelli has ranked Steelers safety Chris Hope as the No. 19 free agent available this offseason (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2360759), Hope has yet to line up a single visit (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06071/669034.stm), even as other guys are criss-crossing the country in search of the big money that flows in the early days of the signing period.
So what's the problem? As one league source explained, "Hope has no one interested in him because all the teams get the films of all the games. He is slow, can't tackle, and he is dumb, all of the qualities that go into a big contract."
Ouch.
The fact that Hope has yet to even schedule a visit is significant in light of the fact that virtually every team was talking prior to Saturday at 12:01 a.m. to the guys in whom they had heavy interest. So the reality is that the 31 teams other than the Steelers haven't seen fit to include him in the game of musical chairs that, in early March, typically pays out more money than at any other time of the year.

And Anton Randle El was just signed by Washington

bigbolthead21
03-12-2006, 01:49 PM
He would be an upgrade. Cool avitar man!
Thanks!!:Beer: urs is da shizzneh too!!:p

bigbolthead21
03-12-2006, 01:50 PM
I was interested in Hope until I read this from profootballtalk.com:

Source please????!!!:confused:

56lightsout56
03-12-2006, 01:52 PM
they just announced it on ESPN radio 800am here in SD

bigbolthead21
Source please????!!!:confused:
nevermind...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2365504

SD_Connection

err there goes that plan..

bigbolthead21
03-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Damn, r the 'skins going to sign everyone in the NFL???????:confused: :Beer:

TheIceCreamMan
03-12-2006, 01:56 PM
AJ get Antonio bryant!!!!!!!!

56lightsout56
03-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Damn, r the 'skins going to sign everyone in the NFL???????:confused: :Beer:

True. Snyder's got the coin to lay out large up from Bonus Money.:mad:

Optimistic Chagers fan
03-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Having cap room is one thing, spending that cap room money is another, willing to do what is good for "your" team is what Top tier teams do.

IMO

sommerSD
03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Oh i would love to see the Chargers sign Hope, completely revamp teh safeties. Also, for offense, i would love to see SD sign Kevin Curtis, give us some great speed at WR, for RIvers.

Boltman19
03-12-2006, 02:00 PM
I thought he said he was going to be more active in FA this offseason, I hope he is.

bigbolthead21
03-12-2006, 02:05 PM
I thought he said he was going to be more active in FA this offseason, I hope he is.
For reals ha!!! He better sign more people (bryant, ashworth, or arrington)

WakkaWakkaWakka
03-12-2006, 02:07 PM
I still can't believe the Redskins are still signing FA's. They were in so much trouble with the cap I can't believe this team sometimes.

I really want to know who AJ is looking at for the offensive line now the Bentley is impossible for the chargers to get.

BTW, Rams sign LB Will Witherspoon (heck it out at KFFL.com)

Boltman19
03-12-2006, 02:10 PM
I dont really want Arrington, seems like a headache to me. And he said that he wanted to stay in the NFC East so he can get back at the Skins.

However Ashworth would be a nice pickup for us

bigbolthead21
03-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I dont really want Arrington, seems like a headache to me. And he said that he wanted to stay in the NFC East so he can get back at the Skins.

However Ashworth would be a nice pickup for us
Imagine though, arrington, foley, edwards, and merriman as our starting linebackers. Arrington would bring that swagger that our defense has been missing ever since seau and harrison left.:rolleyes:

SuperBowlBolts
03-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Imagine though, arrington, foley, edwards, and merriman as our starting linebackers. Arrington would bring that swagger that our defense has been missing ever since seau and harrison left.:rolleyes:
We dont need to him to bring swagger its coming out of Foley and its coming out of Merriman as well.

Tomlinson21
03-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Key Word: "Bold Headlines"
Missing Word: "Off Season"

This is the off season, you could sign the greatest WR on your team and still stink it up (Raiders)...

You could sign the biggest airhead in the game (TO) and still not win the Super Bowl (Eagles and TO)...

You could Franchise Tag a QB who had an exceptional year in 2004 and fall short in 05 and miss the playoffs (Brees and the Chargers)....

You could sign up aged Deion Sanders on your team and hope to make a difference on your team....(Ravens and Neon)....

Endless...examples...bottomline? This is the off season...tradings and contracts will be dealt but it all depends on what you put out on the field in the Regular Season. That's all that matters.

As eerie as AJ does his business (it kills me!)....he does get the right guys in here for some reason...

TheIceCreamMan
03-12-2006, 02:26 PM
For reals ha!!! He better sign more people (bryant, ashworth, or arrington)

great picks... Antonio Bryant
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/23/232317.jpg

-comming off a of a 1,000 yard season
-great speed and hands
-has sume isues, but nuthin Marty cant work in him
-great fit as #1 in the chargers squad

psychofan
03-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Jerry Azumah is who we should be going after right now. He had a solid year last year and he'll do better in a different enviroment look how McCardell did.

sundeval
03-12-2006, 03:57 PM
IMO , AJ has missed out on some great oppurtunities by standing pat. He should have traded either Brees or Rivers when he had the chance. The chargers wouldve gotten a pretty good array of draft picks or at least a player who couldve filled in some of the holes we have. Now, Brees is gone, we got nothing for him , we have no extra draft picks, nobody to fill the holes and he still isnt doing much on the free agent market with alot of cap room. To me, something is weird here, and i think ownership has to be holding him back on spending money as everyone can clearly see that with a first year starting QB and a team that is so close to something special, there needs to be some moves made. If it isnt ownership, can AJ really be this cheap and ignorant to see that this team still needs help? Maybe its an egotistical thing where he thinks he can do it "his" way and is a better GM than the rest?...I dont know what to think, im sitting here dumbfounded as to why he thinks bringing in a bunch of draft picks is going to make this team an immediate winner. If he is building for the future, i think he is making a huge mistake as the likes of LT doesnt come around very often.

promiseland
03-12-2006, 06:42 PM
IMO , AJ has missed out on some great oppurtunities by standing pat. He should have traded either Brees or Rivers when he had the chance. The chargers wouldve gotten a pretty good array of draft picks or at least a player who couldve filled in some of the holes we have. Now, Brees is gone, we got nothing for him , we have no extra draft picks, nobody to fill the holes and he still isnt doing much on the free agent market with alot of cap room. To me, something is weird here, and i think ownership has to be holding him back on spending money as everyone can clearly see that with a first year starting QB and a team that is so close to something special, there needs to be some moves made. If it isnt ownership, can AJ really be this cheap and ignorant to see that this team still needs help? Maybe its an egotistical thing where he thinks he can do it "his" way and is a better GM than the rest?...I dont know what to think, im sitting here dumbfounded as to why he thinks bringing in a bunch of draft picks is going to make this team an immediate winner. If he is building for the future, i think he is making a huge mistake as the likes of LT doesnt come around very often.

You make it sound as if we are starting over, like we have a ton of holes to fill. This team is pretty well set except for a few positions.
AJ might bring in 1 or 2 more guys, and then wait for the draft. I hope he brings in an OT- Brad Hopkins or Tom Ashworth and a another DB- Jerry Azumah.

baddass4444
03-12-2006, 07:21 PM
GET Andre Dyson PLEEEASSEEEE!!!!!!

Dyson CB
Runyon OT
Bryant WR

These are the guys to sign... Then build in the draft, baby!!!

Dago81Sd
03-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Well, I can see how AJ doesn't want to spend that much and get tied down the following years, if anything, i'll give him credit for managing the cap.

However, IMHO, he should atleast try to go after like someone like Runyon to strenthen up the O-line a bit for Rivers this season and then seek some young O-line talent in the first round in the upcomming draft.

However, I don't see this being a "Break out" FA signing year. Possibly next year after Rivers has a little more expierence under his belt and is ready to make a SB run we will obtain a deep threat type reciever to go with the L.T Gates threat.

2006 - Address O-line (Both Free Agency and Draft (Future Depth) and Safety. (Already Addressed)
2007 - Be very active in FA. (WR, O-line, DB)

Whopper Stopper
03-12-2006, 07:43 PM

Dyson CB
Runyon OT
Bryant WR

I agree. if we could pick these guys up I would be so stoked! I think we need to bring in more than one olineman IMO. I guessing if we dont bring them in through FA, Aj is going to address in the draft. My problem with that is we drafted simms, murkoski (mispelled) and that other guy and they havent done sh_t. We could of traded those picks last year for some sure fire vets at the oline position. We should make a push mabye for Mawae and runyan.

Dago81Sd
03-12-2006, 07:48 PM
^ Runyon and Mawae would be a huge upgrade.

BlueMachine
03-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I hope we sign Brad Hopkins and use him to mentor Guy Whimper a great sleepr in the draft.

Brad Hopkins Profile:
Hopkins is a veteran who has been calling around looking for a home next season. There was some thought that he might retire, but he looks poised to find a home for 2006. He has really been an underrated player over his career. Though his athletic ability has started to diminish, he is still one of the meanest and toughest left tackles in the NFL. He is a very good run blocker and excellent leader on the offensive side of the ball. A team looking for a LOT would be able to squeeze one more season out of him.

Guy Whimper's scouting report:
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...uywhimper.html

LarryAW
03-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Maybe the next signing might be Archuleta. Could be a possibility!

Isn't Washington wooing Archuleta? I realize the new cba provided some cap room, but how are the Redskins so active? Prior to the cba, I read that some teams had extensively studied the Redskins' salary cap and came to the conclusion that it was mathematically impossible for the Washington Redskins to comply with the cap. That's a big reason he (Dan Snyder) pushed to get the cba done.

It's a good thing there's a salary cap, because Dan Snyder would be the Steinbrenner of football, except with more money.

Redjaw
03-12-2006, 09:27 PM

Dyson CB
Runyon OT
Bryant WR

Leave out dyson and that is a good idea. But also to replace dyson we should sign Will Allen.

nayip2002
03-13-2006, 11:23 AM
we have 2-3 holes we need filled and i hope mccree comes up big!! WILL HE???!!!

chargerfan1978
03-13-2006, 01:33 PM
We have plenty of S's who can mentor him. This will also upgrade our ST coverages. I think we need a young, veteran OG. Also, we should draft a LT to be mentored by Oben.

TJ21
03-13-2006, 01:37 PM

The team is believed to be interested in bringing in another safety for a visit. The team also plans to land a cornerback to play nickel, as Jamar Fletcher is expected to depart via free agency.
WTH? Didn't he say that with Brees' extra cap space we would be bringing in some good players? :confused:

Another safety? Or a CB? Here's a tip. With Jue, McCree and Hart on the S roster, spring for the position that you have no depth in: Cornerback.

You'd think it's rocket science, the way the media reports these things. :rolleyes: