PDA

View Full Version : Drew asks for 10 mil. a year.

yonas
03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Drew got to be crazy: Thank god AJ isn't this dumb.

Saints | Brees wants $10 million per year; Saints closest to his demands
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:22:37 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports free agent QB Drew Brees (Chargers) reportedly is seeking a contract that will pay him $10 million per year and he is firm in those demands. The New Orleans Saints are the closest to meeting Brees' demands. The Miami Dolphins aren't offering as much in guarantees as New Orleans, and they seem to have dug in on not doing that with Brees coming off shoulder surgery.

Podium
03-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Well we offered him 8.3M per year (average). Considering the potential amount of the contract.

Confuzed Azn
03-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Well we offered him 8.3M per year (average). Considering the potential amount of the contract.
But with only 2 mill guaranteed, so he ran off. It makes sense not to guarantee alot because of the injury.

yonas
03-12-2006, 08:03 PM
yeah that's true, but most was incentives right?

Podium
03-12-2006, 08:04 PM

yeah. only 2 mil guaranteed.

If Brees gets this contract, I'll praise Condon for being the best negotiator in the history of negotiating. He's pulling a rabbit out of his ass if he gets 10M a year.

(unless it's from a desperate Saint organization)

yonas
03-12-2006, 08:06 PM
yeah. only 2 mil guaranteed.

If Brees gets this contract, I'll praise Condon for being the best negotiator in the history of negotiating. He's pulling a rabbit out of his ass if he gets 10M a year.

(unless it's from a desperate Saint organization)

Got to be wishful thinking by Condon, but who knows the saints are pretty desperate. 10 mil. yr, is just ridiculous, and drew better start getting real, and sign that 7mil with saints.:Beer:

poon
03-12-2006, 08:12 PM
This has to be rubbish. No way he is worth 10 mill a year!!! Even if he wasn't injured!!! :eek:

Dago81Sd
03-12-2006, 08:14 PM
How much is Rivers averaging?

JustTheFacts
03-12-2006, 08:14 PM
What cracks me up is, When all the Dolphin fans were sure he was going to sign, the Chargers were a bunch of idiots for letting him go. Now that they hear his contract demands they are all singing the same song "Why would anyone pay 10 million a year for an injured quarterback, he is just being greedy"

Podium
03-12-2006, 08:17 PM
How much is Rivers averaging?

Rivers signed for 6years/40.5M

So average about 6.7M per year.

Dago81Sd
03-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Ah ok.

So what would 10m per year rank Brees? Top 5? 3?

Just for the record, $10 million per year guranteed money is ludacris.

poon
03-12-2006, 08:19 PM
What cracks me up is, When all the Dolphin fans were sure he was going to sign, the Chargers were a bunch of idiots for letting him go. Now that they hear his contract demands they are all singing the same song "Why would anyone pay 10 million a year for an injured quarterback, he is just being greedy"
I was just on their sight too. One of the posters blamed us (Chargers) for his ridiculous demands :confused:

promiseland
03-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Where are all the blind Brees worshipers now, they scattered like a bunch of cockaroaches. Brees isin't worth ten million a year even when he was healthy. I so happy we have a no BS GM who dosen't care about any sentimental, feel good stories. All he cares about is putting the best possible product on the field.

Podium
03-12-2006, 08:21 PM
To put his in perspective:

In 2005 the average salary of the top 5 QBs was 8.1M

In 2006 the average salary of the top 5 QBs is less than 9.6M

(if the franchise tag is used, then the player gets the average of the top 5 salaries of the position. If it is used a second time (or a transition tag is used) the salary is the average of the top 5 salaries of the position or 120% of the salary of the previous year. This means that 9.6M is higher than the average of the top 5 QBs in 2006.)

Dago81Sd
03-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Ah, ok. Thanks Podium.

Well, no way in hell he is worth more then the average of the top 5 salaries. Ridiculus.

mtxsound
03-12-2006, 08:31 PM
To put his in perspective:

In 2005 the average salary of the top 5 QBs was 8.1M

In 2006 the average salary of the top 5 QBs is less than 9.6M

(if the franchise tag is used, then the player gets the average of the top 5 salaries of the position. If it is used a second time (or a transition tag is used) the salary is the average of the top 5 salaries of the position or 120% of the salary of the previous year. This means that 9.6M is higher than the average of the top 5 QBs in 2006.)

I think its the same. 120% of Brees 2005 salary is 9.6 million and the average of the top 5 is near the same number. Im not 100% sure on this but I think I remember seeing this somewhere early on in the postseason.

Being a Drew supporter all along, I see these demands and think wow. I thought you really wanted to finish your career in San Diego Drew? Where does he even think he can garner that kind of money, especially when we have a decent replacement in Rivers. New Orleans and Miami, or any other suitor, would be NUTS to pay that kind of money.

Good luck Drew looks to me like your agent and your new-found greed will cost you a great deal of fans in and around the San Diego area. Come back to your senses....

BoltsfanNYC
03-12-2006, 08:33 PM
drew not only turned it down... the merits for the 8.3 here was just to start//12 games!

Podium
03-12-2006, 08:35 PM
I think its the same. 120% of Brees 2005 salary is 9.6 million and the average of the top 5 is near the same number. Im not 100% sure on this but I think I remember seeing this somewhere early on in the postseason.

Being a Drew supporter all along, I see these demands and think wow. I thought you really wanted to finish your career in San Diego Drew? Where does he even think he can garner that kind of money, especially when we have a decent replacement in Rivers. New Orleans and Miami, or any other suitor, would be NUTS to pay that kind of money.

Good luck Drew looks to me like your agent and your new-found greed will cost you a great deal of fans in and around the San Diego area. Come back to your senses....

It's probably near the same number, but I think it's still less.

LarryAW
03-12-2006, 08:39 PM

From us? I think: $2 million guaranteed, an additional $8 million if he took 75% of the snaps. That is a total of $10, but I guess Drew wants most or all of it guaranteed.

I'm pretty sure he wants to go to Miami, and he's trying to use New Orleans to get Miami to raise the guaranteed money.

I have always thought PR would be the better QB whenever he got a chance. Now he's got it. At this point, I would not be happy if Brees comes back. Brees has morphed from the Golden Boy into the Greedy Boy.

GO PHILIP!!!.

mtxsound
03-12-2006, 08:51 PM
From us? I think: $2 million guaranteed, an additional $8 million if he took 75% of the snaps. That is a total of $10, but I guess Drew wants most or all of it guaranteed.

I'm pretty sure he wants to go to Miami, and he's trying to use New Orleans to get Miami to raise the guaranteed money.

I have always thought PR would be the better QB whenever he got a chance. Now he's got it. At this point, I would not be happy if Brees comes back. Brees has morphed from the Golden Boy into the Greedy Boy.

GO PHILIP!!!.

Unfortunately, for Brees, Im starting to think the same about Brees. I never really doubted that Rivers would end up good, but didnt want to lose Brees. Now with the greed thing, I could care less now.

thehotdelancey
03-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Man, Drew, you used to be cool man. Since when is 2 Million Not good enough...

milehighcharfan
03-12-2006, 09:01 PM
It's amazing to me how many people are willing to pay a banged up quarterback so much money. I like Brees but he was not going to win us a Super Bowl. I think we will be way better off with Rivers and if it doesn't work out then we still have plenty of money for next year to sign a free agent QB.
What I'm extremely dissappointed about is the lack of aggressiveness in signing free agents. We still need help and MCREE is not all we need. To add to that, the draft alone is not going to make up the difference in players for us. What about Runyan or even Julian Peterson for the "D"

I'm a Bronco hater to the core and I live here in Colorado but I do respect the Broncos management and how well they can shift players around and always manage to sign top free agents. Now the Broncos are talking T.O. and Abraham. If all of this is true the Chargers will have very stiff competition in the AFC West. Again, I can't stand that team but I do admire their thinking.:Bolt:

Dago81Sd
03-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, AJ could have certainly upped the Gurantee a bit. But now that we know he is seeking 10 million guranteed is just ridiculus and he won't get it.

milehighcharfan
03-12-2006, 09:03 PM
We're all broke out here and he's crying about 2 million!

J.S. Park
03-12-2006, 09:13 PM
This is ridiculous! I always thought drew is a team guy. Who in the living hell he thinks he is? $10 million a year, what a joke. I no longer pissed that drew isn't a Chargers anymore, I hope him the best of luck nontheless.

Dago81Sd
03-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Good luck with the Saints and that 10 million. Even though he won't end up doing jack in Orleans and is pissing his Career away.

rubbermusic
03-12-2006, 09:18 PM
We're all broke out here and he's crying about 2 million!

Man, Drew, you used to be cool man. Since when is 2 Million Not good enough...

Yeah well this is football not newspaper delivery. When you make close to 9 million last year and this year only 2 and you have two teams willing to give you between 5-10 million. Would you really take the 2 million for 4.5x less than the year before when you put up pro-bowl numbers.

I don't have 2 million but I understand simple football negotiations. How about the $12 million that wasn't enough for Rivers???? Anything to say about that???

I guess Rivers, Merriman, Gates & Tomlinson aren't cool either because as mentioned in another post, they did the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!

MSSDC55
03-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Where are all the blind Brees worshipers now, they scattered like a bunch of cockaroaches. Brees isin't worth ten million a year even when he was healthy. I so happy we have a no BS GM who dosen't care about any sentimental, feel good stories. All he cares about is putting the best possible product on the field.

Charger AND Brees fan RIGHT here. IMO I think a healthy Drew IS worth 10 million a year because he gives us the best chance to get to the playoffs and superbowl in the next couple years, much more than going with an unproven PR. I also agree that AJ's offer was fair and protects the Chargers in the event Drew can't return to his pre injury form. I admit that I am disappointed that Drew didn't understand this and accept the offer. I'm STILL hoping Drew returns and leads us to the superbowl but think he's being unreasonable with his contract demands.

BoltFanNChicago
03-12-2006, 10:31 PM
who wouldn't be greedy??? You can count on one hand the number of pro athletes who don't want to make every dime possible... I'm not saying we should pay him but his career and him at QB is a business. How would any of us like it if we were told we'd make $10 a hour if we worked a 40 hour week but $2 a hour if we worked under 30 hours a week and the number of hours we worked was based on not getting hurt and the boss maybe wanting someone else. Yes, he's injured but AJ has made it clear he is a PR fan.... who on the planet would sign an incentive contract knowing they may not play even if healthy?

This team was NOWHERE for almost a decade before Drew got here.... I'll put my trust in AJ when he states PR is the right guy at QB... but it's a VERY short leash. The second we are struggling at the QB slot and AJ starts the " we knew it would take a year for PR to get us going" he better own up to making what could be the BIGGEST mistake in Chargers football history. This team has too much talent not to make the Super Bowl before LT, McCardell, Gates, Williams, Edwards etc etc retire. We should not lose games simply because we were paying a guy too much to ride the bench....

MSSDC55
03-12-2006, 10:49 PM
who wouldn't be greedy??? You can count on one hand the number of pro athletes who don't want to make every dime possible... I'm not saying we should pay him but his career and him at QB is a business. How would any of us like it if we were told we'd make $10 a hour if we worked a 40 hour week but $2 a hour if we worked under 30 hours a week and the number of hours we worked was based on not getting hurt and the boss maybe wanting someone else. Yes, he's injured but AJ has made it clear he is a PR fan.... who on the planet would sign an incentive contract knowing they may not play even if healthy?

This team was NOWHERE for almost a decade before Drew got here.... I'll put my trust in AJ when he states PR is the right guy at QB... but it's a VERY short leash. The second we are struggling at the QB slot and AJ starts the " we knew it would take a year for PR to get us going" he better own up to making what could be the BIGGEST mistake in Chargers football history. This team has too much talent not to make the Super Bowl before LT, McCardell, Gates, Williams, Edwards etc etc retire. We should not lose games simply because we were paying a guy too much to ride the bench....

Honestly, from a personal perspective I would probably want the same thing Drew is asking for but would have to be realistic with myself. By the same token if Drew really does want to remain a Charger and feels as though he will be back this year, the clause in the contract states that if he plays 75% of the downs he IS guarenteed to make an additional 8 million in 2006 and if he makes the 2007 roster he's going to make even more. I don't think AJ prefers PR over DB. I DO think he's trying to protect the Chargers as best he can. There are several BIG mistakes in Charger history. Fred Dean, Jim Lachey, Ryan Leaf, etc. But I'll grant you that this decision is the most significant one for the immediate future! I don't want to go backwards any more than you!

Here's hoping things work out for the best!:Beer:

Thunderbolted
03-12-2006, 11:31 PM
The Chargers want Football players, not businessmen!!1

DB is just too greedy! He knows that his injury is career threatening so he wants to get as much guaranteed money as he can.

Too greedy!

windnsea26
03-12-2006, 11:34 PM
I am also very disappointed in this whole situation. I understand he want's to get paid but demanding 10MIL and not being able to even throw a football with also the possibility of not playing this year is just really dumb.

I hope Drew does go to New Orleans and does NOT win a superbowl there. Good riddens!

teagteag1
03-12-2006, 11:38 PM

Yeah, he's done a bang-up job so far in free agency. Give me a break.

teagteag1
03-12-2006, 11:40 PM
I guess Rivers, Merriman, Gates & Tomlinson aren't cool either because as mentioned in another post, they did the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post. I was rolling because it is so true.

windnsea26
03-12-2006, 11:43 PM

But they weren't injured like Drew.

Lyi
03-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Drew got to be crazy: Thank god AJ isn't this dumb.

Saints | Brees wants $10 million per year; Saints closest to his demands
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:22:37 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports free agent QB Drew Brees (Chargers) reportedly is seeking a contract that will pay him $10 million per year and he is firm in those demands. The New Orleans Saints are the closest to meeting Brees' demands. The Miami Dolphins aren't offering as much in guarantees as New Orleans, and they seem to have dug in on not doing that with Brees coming off shoulder surgery.

i think drew is ask'n for that much money to make the other franchises not interested, and try to work a side deal out with the chargers. hopefully. kind of like what happen'd with troy brown and the pats. teams offered him alot of money, but he declined and went back with the pats for less.

Boltbaby
03-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Good luck with the Saints and that 10 million. Even though he won't end up doing jack in Orleans and is pissing his Career away.

Something tells me this NO thing was just to run his guaranteed money up for Miami. Wouldn't it be funny if they don't come up and the only decent offer he gets is NO and he really doesn't want to go there?

I like the way Brees manages a game and I like that the team sees him as their leader and rallies around. But even before he got hurt I was shaking my head during some of the last few games (including Indy) and wondering "Is this guy is a choker?".

I like Brees, but he does come off awfully cocky sometimes (Probably just a woman's perspective) and it seems like it may be masking insecurity.

Remember when he really sucked? Sometimes I think THAT guy is still in there somewhere and he seems to come out at really bad times like in the Miami game and the end of the Indy game (God, that overthrow that was picked off was horrible!).

Look, if he ends up signing with the Chargers again, I will still be happy, cause I think we have a better chance initially with him. But I won't cry if he goes...I think Rivers is a man and can handle our Offense. It will be fun to see what he can do.

teagteag1
03-12-2006, 11:59 PM
i think drew is ask'n for that much money to make the other franchises not interested, and try to work a side deal out with the chargers. hopefully. kind of like what happen'd with troy brown and the pats. teams offered him alot of money, but he declined and went back with the pats for less.

Agreed. If you know you aren't coming back to the Bolts...why not get some team to give you big money?

adeepercut2k
03-13-2006, 12:03 AM
I am also very disappointed in this whole situation. I understand he want's to get paid but demanding 10MIL and not being able to even throw a football with also the possibility of not playing this year is just really dumb.

I hope Drew does go to New Orleans and does NOT win a superbowl there. Good riddens!I don't mean to pick on you windnsea, just grabbed this post cause it represents alot of what's being said around here right now. I think we all need to chillax with the Drew hatin...YO. :) Seriously though, it's obvious the "demanding" of 10mil is just Drew trying to feel out the limits of the market. I mean, all this stuff is a game of chess, with everybody playing off of the teams, players and agents. And anyways, if I were Brees, having to prove myself two years in a row, and doing pretty well in the second year, and not getting much respect from a team you've given much to, I'd be pissed. I'm not a big fan of Brees, I've criticized his play time and again, but as long as he produced I've been ok with him as a charger. I just never understood the hate over a player looking to be paid. Everybody says that "they make millions, they don't need respect," I disagree to a point. These are players that have been producing millions of dollars for colleges for four years, got lucky enough to be talented to play in the nfl, and hopefully will play 5 years or more and get some money out of destroying their bodies. The fact that the management still hasn't agreed to guaranteed money is a disgrace to Gene Upshaw and the NFLPA. Did you guys and gals see the show "Joes vs. Pros" with McMahon? He's bending his knee and his leg bone is poking out the side of his ****ing knee! These guys make the owners alot of money and have short careers. So I guess it comes down to "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

rubbermusic
03-13-2006, 04:14 AM

Credit goes to tahirjon for that one.

I knew it but just never associated it with this situation!! Just about every player is in it for the most they can get out of it. I don't fault Drew in the least for trying to get the best for him and his family.

rubbermusic
03-13-2006, 04:23 AM
But they weren't injured like Drew.

Doesn't matter....They were still all about the $$$, it wasn't "I'll take a pay cut to win you a super bowl"...it was "give me what I think I'm worth and I will play for you guys"

Remember Gates actually had to be suspended just to realize AJ meant business!!!!!!!!!

It's really sad that some of you chargers fans will forgive Rivers and Gates and LT and everyone else, but suddenly Drew has "no character" and is "just in it for the money".

The way Brees was leading us the past couple years was awesome, he had the heart, he had the drive, he wanted to win, he wanted to be a charger, and then when he got injured, there was nothing but high hopes from Brees......WATCH THE PRESS CONFERENCE AGAIN!!!! He was not full of it, you can see he was a sincere guy, he truely believed this injury would have no bearing on the contract negotiations and that's exactly what AJ said in another interview, but he proved otherwise because he had doubts.....well since AJ backed off from his initial statement and has doubts, doesn't that give Drew the same right to back down from his initial statement and feel otherwise about the team.

Neither side really did anything wrong this is just an infortunate situation, but a lot of people have turned on Brees without justification, suddenly saying he's only in it for the money...well Brees is one of the only all-pros on this team that never held out for more money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He just want's what was originally promised to him, but since AJ has doubts, that won't happen, but you can't fault him for looking elsewhere!!!!!

rubbermusic
03-13-2006, 04:25 AM
The Chargers want Football players, not businessmen!!1

DB is just too greedy! He knows that his injury is career threatening so he wants to get as much guaranteed money as he can.

Too greedy!

Pretty much every football player is either a businessman or has an agent who is one. That's just a part of the game.

riverhead
03-13-2006, 05:56 AM
Pretty much every football player is either a businessman or has an agent who is one. That's just a part of the game.

Noted and agreed.

DKatz7
03-13-2006, 07:14 AM

Good point....but then again who cares what Miami, or New Armagedon thinks. Condon sucks, he's a liar, and Drew is greedy as hell. I hope he goes to the Aints. That way we won't hear from him for a very long time. The only vindication is how others are beginning to understand our position.

If he doesn't sign with the Chargers........He's the enemy, and Phillip is the man...No matter what!!!!

rubbermusic
03-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Brees-Dolphins talks put off 'til Tuesday: The Dolphins and quarterback Drew Brees are expected to resume negotiations Tuesday. Brees left Miami on Monday evening for Birmingham, Ala., where he's rehabbing his right shoulder under the watchful eye of Dr. James Andrews, who performed the operation in January.

Contract talks between the Dolphins and Brees' agent, Tom Condon, did not take place because Brees spent the day undergoing a battery of doctors' tests. He underwent so many that he had to visit at least two different facilities to be tested. Not only did doctors perform an MRI on his shoulder, but the Dolphins gave Brees a full physical.

The hangup between Brees and the Dolphins is how much of a contract will be guaranteed. The Saints are believed to be offering more money and more guarantees than the Dolphins, who are wary of guaranteeing $10 million of his contract after he came off shoulder surgery.

On the Culpepper front: It's still down to the Dolphins to try to get the Vikings to trade Daunte Culpepper. The Titans are out. The Raiders haven't made any offers. The Dolphins really don't want to give Minnesota a second-round choice, but they might have to if they can't get a Drew Brees deal done. Stay tuned.

Podium
03-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Brees-Dolphins talks put off 'til Tuesday: The Dolphins and quarterback Drew Brees are expected to resume negotiations Tuesday. Brees left Miami on Monday evening for Birmingham, Ala., where he's rehabbing his right shoulder under the watchful eye of Dr. James Andrews, who performed the operation in January.

Contract talks between the Dolphins and Brees' agent, Tom Condon, did not take place because Brees spent the day undergoing a battery of doctors' tests. He underwent so many that he had to visit at least two different facilities to be tested. Not only did doctors perform an MRI on his shoulder, but the Dolphins gave Brees a full physical.

The hangup between Brees and the Dolphins is how much of a contract will be guaranteed. The Saints are believed to be offering more money and more guarantees than the Dolphins, who are wary of guaranteeing $10 million of his contract after he came off shoulder surgery.

On the Culpepper front: It's still down to the Dolphins to try to get the Vikings to trade Daunte Culpepper. The Titans are out. The Raiders haven't made any offers. The Dolphins really don't want to give Minnesota a second-round choice, but they might have to if they can't get a Drew Brees deal done. Stay tuned.

Thanks for posting rubbermusic.

Culpepper is an interesting case. Vikes asking for a 2nd round pick seems pretty considering some injury reports have said that he may not even be ready to start the season.

BoltsfanNYC
03-13-2006, 08:06 PM
these 2 moves will affect the chargers as both teams then go skill position players...

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Remember Gates actually had to be suspended just to realize AJ meant business!!!!!!!!!

Or you could say that Gates had to hold out and be suspened so that AJ could see that Gates meant business.

teagteag1
03-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Or you could say that Gates had to hold out and be suspened so that AJ could see that Gates meant business.

Yeah, and that move turned out to be one of AJ's finest....

rubbermusic
03-13-2006, 08:22 PM

Either way wasn't Gates being selfish and going for the money. We all rip Brees and praise Gates though.

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Either way wasn't Gates being selfish and going for the money. We all rip Brees and praise Gates though.

I agree with you here. I don't think Brees was too selfish. He has earned his money injury or no. Besides, we're not using the extra cap so we might as well sign him.

eddieb
03-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Wow. Everyone jumping off the Brees bandwagon just cuz they guy wants money. Hey, you would too. Just cuz he wants a lot of money doesn't mean he doesn't love the game or isn't a team guy. Geez! Like someone already said here, it's a chess game.

If you know anything about negotiating, you always start high and come down. That high number is sometimes ridiculous, but it gives you room to move. I've seen negotiations in my line of work where they started out with insane demands, and they all eventually got a done deal hashed out. But you say "Hey, Drew is demanding $10 million and is firm." So do you think if the Saints or Fins don't guarantee him $10 million, he doesn't sign a contract in '06? Of course not, he'll come down from that "firm" number.

Give the guy a break. This is his big chance to get the numbers he's worked so hard for all his life. He's still the same driven team player leader kind of guy he always was. I wish him the best and hopes he gets a lot.

Now on another topic on this whole Brees contract thing, one thing I don't get. If AJ really wanted him, I think there were other ways of doing it. The whole issue are the doubts about his arm. That's legit. If he just took 75% of the snaps in 2006, he would get $8 million which I'm sure would be enough for him to stay with the Bolts. But that doesn't protect him if he got an injury that had nothing to do with his arm. And there's a good chance that could happen - to him or ANY QB in the NFL - thus his hesitancy. I can't blame him.

So why didn't they try to put some clause in the contract that stipulates if he gets any injury that has nothing to do with his existing injury and it keeps him out of 75% of the snaps, he still gets the $8 million? That's basically the same thing they would have offered him without the injury. This isolates his specific existing injury as the only way he couldn't get that $8 million. I'm guessing it would be hard to define that type of thing in a contract as there would be gray areas, but if you somehow could, it would be interesting to see if Drew would accept it then. Where there's a will, there's a way. Maybe AJ doesn't have the will or Drew really doesn't want it to come down to just his injury cuz he knows it is a risk for him. Unfortunately, we'll never get to find out.

TJ21
03-13-2006, 10:02 PM
It would be more then reasonable if he wasn't injured. But it is kind of extreme, with the injury.

Lightswitch
03-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Guys 10 million . Come on in the NBA and MLB they give that to guys that don't even play every game or every day or week or you know.
Yes hes worth it . there are QB's that have done less worth more than that. regardless this endless debate will finally be put to rest when DB signs with the Dolphins and helps them get back to the playoff's and beyond. im looking forward to a rematch AFC championship . Remember that back in the early 80's.

rubbermusic
03-14-2006, 04:34 AM
im looking forward to a rematch AFC championship . Remember that back in the early 80's.

I sure do remember that. That game is why the Dolphins are my #2 team. Chargers are always #1 and always will be, but watching one of the greatest games in the history of football made me a Dolphins fan also. I hope Brees lands with them unless some miracle happens and the Chargers actually sign him.

paul.almryde
03-14-2006, 05:08 AM
:9: I would love to see the Chargers keep Brees. But lie someone wrote before let the drama end.:9: Go Chargers#1!

Willi
03-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Realistically, everyone would love a 1 year deal with Brees and the option for more years. IF Brees would sign a 1 year deal, then he can get the payday he desires. Otherwise, he won't get guaranteed money because he isn't guaranteed. Injuries are what they are. Drew can say what he wants, but he was paid 9 million last year, and that includes getting injured in a meaningless game. Rewarding him for the past just isn't going to happen in the business of football. I want Brees to be a Charger... but the smart thing for him and the Chargers is to make a 1 year deal. It is the compromise between long term deals that neither want. Then he gets his payday if he's healthy. If he's not healthy, then he doesn't sap a team for the next 4 years solely because he wants paid.

Boltbaby
03-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Brees leaves; Dolphins sign Shelton (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolnb13mar14,0,5929239.story?coll=sfla-sports-front)
March 14
South Florida Sun-Sentinel: "According to a source, the Dolphins reached a contract impasse with free-agent quarterback Drew Brees, but no matter who the quarterback will be in 2006 at least they'll have a new bodyguard to protect him. The Dolphins wasted no time in finding a replacement for recently released left tackle Damion McIntosh, as they signed free-agent L.J. Shelton."