PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Are Interested in Meeting with David Givens

WakkaWakkaWakka
03-13-2006, 09:03 AM
This was taken from the Boston Herald today:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=130244&format=&page=1

specifically the last line of the article segment : " Givens has no further visits scheduled after today, though San Diego is interested in meeting him."

Can't get Davis, but Givens would be a good replacement for Caldwell.

kingbolt
03-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Espn reports he wants a 4 million dollar contract. So far he visited the Texans and is scheduled to meet with the Titans and Fins. Do you think AJ is willing sign him?

Podium
03-13-2006, 10:04 AM
He fits AJ's idea of a player IMO. And he's got superbowl experience.

Timmy
03-13-2006, 10:06 AM
I would most certainly welcome Givens with open arms if he chooses us. San Diego might be a good fit for his style of play!

kcboltfan
03-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Well he only has one career fumble and it was not lost, so that in itself is an upgrade over Caldwell.:)

Confuzed Azn
03-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Well he only has one career fumble and it was not lost, so that in itself is an upgrade over Caldwell.:)
You guys just won't let that Iggles game die, wiil ya?

BoltFanNChicago
03-13-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm expecting something more than Givens, Davis or A.Bryant.... I have full faith in AJ but at the end of the day he still needs to cover his own job. He has chosen Rivers... they can spin that they offered a contract to Brees yadda yadda yadda but at the end of the day it was an offer they made knowing he wouldn't take it. AJ chose Rivers. AJ drafted Rivers. As fans we hope he is making the right choice. From the business side of things it's potentially the biggest move in franchise history. We are LOADED and have a top 5-7 QB already and let him walk. Rivers has all the potential in the world... but so did Rick Mirer, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith etc etc etc etc... AJ has made his bed with Rivers.... so it makes perfect sense to help the team and to help Rivers he grabs a # 1 WR. Will it be T.Owens, a trade for Javon Walker or the draft? who knows but i'd bet a lot that starting day we have a legit # 1 guy to take some pressure off a Rivers and AJ... Rivers is a bust and AJ will be at fault... Rivers shines and leads us to the Super Bowl and AJ is the supreme architect...

Podium
03-13-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm expecting something more than Givens, Davis or A.Bryant.... I have full faith in AJ but at the end of the day he still needs to cover his own job. He has chosen Rivers... they can spin that they offered a contract to Brees yadda yadda yadda but at the end of the day it was an offer they made knowing he wouldn't take it. AJ chose Rivers. AJ drafted Rivers. As fans we hope he is making the right choice. From the business side of things it's potentially the biggest move in franchise history. We are LOADED and have a top 5-7 QB already and let him walk. Rivers has all the potential in the world... but so did Rick Mirer, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith etc etc etc etc... AJ has made his bed with Rivers.... so it makes perfect sense to help the team and to help Rivers he grabs a # 1 WR. Will it be T.Owens, a trade for Javon Walker or the draft? who knows but i'd bet a lot that starting day we have a legit # 1 guy to take some pressure off a Rivers and AJ... Rivers is a bust and AJ will be at fault... Rivers shines and leads us to the Super Bowl and AJ is the supreme architect...

I agree. Good post.

But, I always wonder whether or not AJ views Gates as that #1 receiver that can take the pressure off of Rivers.

Tight Ends are the best security blankets you can give a QB, and Gates is the best of them.

JCDavey
03-13-2006, 10:41 AM
You guys just won't let that Iggles game die, wiil ya?vs kc too , caldwell is ...well he's still a charger technically

Dago81Sd
03-13-2006, 10:51 AM

Nope. :Beer:

Dago81Sd
03-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Well, first thing is first, AJ better upgrade that line or else Rivers won't have the time to get the ball to someone like Givens. Anyhow, I agree, i'd love to see this guy in a bolts uniform in the upcomming season.

Lightswitch
03-13-2006, 11:07 AM
AJ is all about D Fense has he signed an offensive player in FA since he's been here ?. I dont think so. he won't sign a big name bigger than himself.
IMO.

Podium
03-13-2006, 11:10 AM
AJ is all about D Fense has he signed an offensive player in FA since he's been here ?. I dont think so. he won't sign a big name bigger than himself.
IMO.

Mike Goff for starters..

HeadTrip
03-13-2006, 11:15 AM
IMO.

Roman Oben was traded for as was Kmac.

Bullgod
03-13-2006, 11:21 AM
There was talk of getting a better WR than Givens.....I just can't see them landing Owens, Walker, Eric Moulds.....I'll be fine with a David Givens, Antonio Bryant......IF there EVER was a year that the Chargers need to get aggressive in Free Agency its this year. They need to put the best possible team around fill rivers to set him up for success. The defense is a few secondary peices away from being great and a real #1 receiver away from the same. Come on AJ don't be a **** in free agency. NOWWW is the time!!!

promiseland
03-13-2006, 11:30 AM

We do need to get over it, but man, that one was in the bag.

BoltFanNChicago
03-13-2006, 11:32 AM
There was talk of getting a better WR than Givens.....I just can't see them landing Owens, Walker, Eric Moulds.....I'll be fine with a David Givens, Antonio Bryant......IF there EVER was a year that the Chargers need to get aggressive in Free Agency its this year. They need to put the best possible team around fill rivers to set him up for success. The defense is a few secondary peices away from being great and a real #1 receiver away from the same. Come on AJ don't be a **** in free agency. NOWWW is the time!!!

I got a good feeling the bolts will trade up and grab S. Holmes... makes perfect sense....

JerryinCA
03-13-2006, 11:33 AM
I'd like to see us get Givens but who knows if he's interested in coming here or if we are truely interested in him. I know a lot of people say he's just another #2 but he is definetly an improvement over Reche IMO and since we are letting Caldwell explore the market we may as well replace him now.

cstu
03-13-2006, 11:47 AM

You need to understand that Gates is our #1 WR, like Gonzo is in KC. Although it would be nice, we don't need a stud WR. I would love the team signing Givens a lot since he has Super Bowl talent and used to being in a spead offense. If we draft Chad Jackson then we'd have all the WR's we'll need for the next few years.

A receiving corps of Gates, McCardell, Parker, Vincent Jackson, Givens, and Chad Jackson would be one of the best in the league. We also wouldn't miss much if McCardell retires next year since Chad Jackson would have a year off experience under his belt.

nflphd
03-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Looks like this is AJ's type of guy. Here's ESPN Insider's scouting report profile of Given's:

#87 David Givens | WR
http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s6115.jpg
Full Name: David Lamar Givens
Born: August 16, 1980Youngstown, OH

Height: 6-0
Weight: 215 lbs.
Pos: WR
Experience: 4 years
College: Notre Dame
Drafted: Year:2002 Round:7 Pick:42, Patriots

REC 59 | YDS 738 | TD 2

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 73 | Key (http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/features/scouting#key)
Alert: None

Comment:
He does a nice job of using his body to shield from the defender and will regularly snag balls over the middle and make catches in traffic. He is not one of those guys that needs time to build speed and for a big receiver, he gets to his top gear in a hurry. He is very effective in the red zone because of his size and ability to physically go up and get jump balls. He is really improved with his overall consistency and has the makings of a go-to receiver. He doesn't have any glaring athletic weaknesses. He can either play a speed game in which he is probably very much underrated, or he can also play a power game and use his physicality as a receiver to get the pass offense some tough catches.

-nflphd

BoltsPride
03-13-2006, 12:13 PM
I think Givens would be a good addition to the club, but do we have a realistic chance of getting him?. If we did, that would take the pressure off on using our first round draft pick to get a receiver.

robanalog
03-13-2006, 12:16 PM
I think I read that he's looking for a deal on the $25mil range. Houston offered him a 5yr deal I believe. but he's looking to cash in....

BoltsPride
03-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Hmmm,, $25 mil. AJ might be willing to do that. He just shelled out $16 mil for McCree. I guess we wait and see now.

JerryinCA
03-13-2006, 12:24 PM
We have the money to spend and it's not like signing him would take everything we had or even near it. If you aren't going to go after many players you should make sure the ones you do go after are worth it and I think Givens definetly would be worth getting. We still need an O line man but who knows who this team is targeting.

Optimistic Chagers fan
03-13-2006, 12:27 PM
I think I read that he's looking for a deal on the $25mil range. Houston offered him a 5yr deal I believe. but he's looking to cash in....

Its a business, everybody looking to make the most $, getting respect for ones talent, (DREW Brees), looking for some love, not being insulted just for one mistake(sholder injury), yea, big mistake but thats whats great about football, its the fight in the dog not the size of the dog in the fight.

IN MY OPINION

BoltFanNChicago
03-13-2006, 12:27 PM
You need to understand that Gates is our #1 WR, like Gonzo is in KC. Although it would be nice, we don't need a stud WR. I would love the team signing Givens a lot since he has Super Bowl talent and used to being in a spead offense. If we draft Chad Jackson then we'd have all the WR's we'll need for the next few years.

A receiving corps of Gates, McCardell, Parker, Vincent Jackson, Givens, and Chad Jackson would be one of the best in the league. We also wouldn't miss much if McCardell retires next year since Chad Jackson would have a year off experience under his belt.

Agree Gates is our number 1 pass option but he is NOT our # 1 WR and we don't have one. Just imagine how great Gates and LT would be if teams didn't cheat up on EVERY SINGLE play. We do not have a WR that needs to be double teamed. I agree to the Tony G comparison but there is a HUGE difference. KC can slot in Dante Hall and Eddie Kennison to stretch the field not to mention they had LJ running crazy on people. It's too easy to just gang up on gates and lt and let everyone else play man against the bolts...

And I don't get the Chad Jackson buzz.... he's more of what we already have. he had 88 catches for 880 yards, doesn't run deep routes well, avoids contact and needs a lot of work blocking downfield.

We don't have problems in the red zone and we are loaded with possession receivers.. it's getting to the red zone and extending drives and stretching the defense we don't have.... if's and buts obviously but a few years back everyone was gaga over taking Rivers and I said slide up one spot and take Larry Fitzgerald. Being in the Midwest I got to see all of his games. I've seen Chad Jackson and know Floridas history of talent in college and then under producing wideouts in the pros.

The guy to take is Santonio Holmes.... great hands, great routes, explosive speed, can return kicks and the best blocker downfield in the draft by a longshot.

Makes no sense to me to bring in a Givens, Bryant, Davis or draft a Chad Jackson when we have Caldwell. It's the same guy. # 2.5/3 guys.... we need a # 1 WR...

iodude122
03-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Well the first step is to get him to agree to come here. I haven't read anything yet about a scheduled visit.

mwooten
03-13-2006, 12:41 PM
BoltFanNChicago makes a great point, about Rivers but i believe Rivers will be better than Brees. The thing Marty was talking about, Brees's arm being 25% stronger at the beggining of the year. Well all that training to get it stronger went right out the window in week 17, I honestly think Brees is hiding somthing about his injury and he'll never return to full strength. That is the only thing this whole offseason that iv been 100% behind AJ about.
He screwed up with Bentley though!!
How did he screw up with Bently? The Chargeres tried to bring him in for a visit, but he turned them down.

iodude122
03-13-2006, 12:49 PM
BoltFanNChicago makes a great point, about Rivers but i believe Rivers will be better than Brees. The thing Marty was talking about, Brees's arm being 25% stronger at the beggining of the year. Well all that training to get it stronger went right out the window in week 17, I honestly think Brees is hiding somthing about his injury and he'll never return to full strength. That is the only thing this whole offseason that iv been 100% behind AJ about.
He screwed up with Bentley though!!

There was nothing AJ could do. Bentley wanted to be a Brown!!! The money was great too, but it is his home town, home team. Nothing AJ could say or do would have gotten that done.

cstu
03-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Agree Gates is our number 1 pass option but he is NOT our # 1 WR and we don't have one. Just imagine how great Gates and LT would be if teams didn't cheat up on EVERY SINGLE play. We do not have a WR that needs to be double teamed. I agree to the Tony G comparison but there is a HUGE difference. KC can slot in Dante Hall and Eddie Kennison to stretch the field not to mention they had LJ running crazy on people. It's too easy to just gang up on gates and lt and let everyone else play man against the bolts...

And I don't get the Chad Jackson buzz.... he's more of what we already have. he had 88 catches for 880 yards, doesn't run deep routes well, avoids contact and needs a lot of work blocking downfield.

We don't have problems in the red zone and we are loaded with possession receivers.. it's getting to the red zone and extending drives and stretching the defense we don't have.... if's and buts obviously but a few years back everyone was gaga over taking Rivers and I said slide up one spot and take Larry Fitzgerald. Being in the Midwest I got to see all of his games. I've seen Chad Jackson and know Floridas history of talent in college and then under producing wideouts in the pros.

The guy to take is Santonio Holmes.... great hands, great routes, explosive speed, can return kicks and the best blocker downfield in the draft by a longshot.

Makes no sense to me to bring in a Givens, Bryant, Davis or draft a Chad Jackson when we have Caldwell. It's the same guy. # 2.5/3 guys.... we need a # 1 WR...
We don't have anyone who runs a 4.3 like Chad Jackson. He's a true #1 in the NFL. Forget the Florida nonsense, that was all because of Spurrier's system that made his WR's look better than they were - CJ never played for Spurrier.

Chad Jackson has a good combination of size and speed for a receiver (http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/group_list.php?method=position&id=receiver). He is an athletic player with the size and leaping ability to take the ball from larger defenders and the speed to beat faster defensive backs deep. Overall he has very good hands although he will drop some easy passes from time to time. He runs solid routes, will break some tackles, and can be elusive after the catch. He will go over the middle and make a tough catch in traffic. He may need to bulk up a little bit and improve his strength but he does have the frame in which to do so. He isn’t a very physical receiver (http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/group_list.php?method=position&id=receiver) and he needs to improve his blocking to become a more complete receiver (http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/group_list.php?method=position&id=receiver). Chad Jackson isn’t a finished product and he probably would’ve benefited from another year in school. He really only has a little over a year as a starter but he has a great deal of upside. I don’t think he will be an immediate starter in the NFL but he has the talent to become a #1 receiver (http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/group_list.php?method=position&id=receiver) at the professional level. Chad does have some things he needs to work on, but as I mentioned this is a weak group of receivers. His potential alone could be enough to push him into the latter portion of round one and at worst he is an early second round pick in the 2006 NFL draft.

Holmes is Deion Branch Jr.

cstu
03-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Hmmm,, $25 mil. AJ might be willing to do that. He just shelled out $16 mil for McCree. I guess we wait and see now.

I would much rather sign RT Jon Runyan than Givens.

Big Bolt Dawg
03-13-2006, 01:21 PM

No kidding.

Charger Dave
03-13-2006, 01:26 PM
I would much rather sign RT Jon Runyan than Givens.While I agree with your statement - big Jon doesn't seem to be working very hard at going to another team, (of course he already has plenty of $$$) - none-the-less I would LOVE to see him in lightning bolts and Olivia moved to Guard (where I believe he would turn into a pro bowl candidate the first year he wasn't playing out of position).

Jon isn't the most mobile OT available and has trouble when asked to get to the 2nd level to run block - but he is a FORCE and WE ask our fullback and guards to take out LBs. Ask Strahan what happens if/when Jon gets those huge mitts of his on ya! :D

What we continue to need, however, is a pass-blocking LOT that can step in for Roman but still can get the job done run-blocking. He may already be on the existing roster - but I sure haven't seen him yet.

loweezy
03-13-2006, 01:38 PM
I got a good feeling the bolts will trade up and grab S. Holmes... makes perfect sense....

if we trade up for any offensive player, i'd want vernon davis...

run two TE sets with gates... with a solid receiver core with keenan/parker/jackson... might need another WR for depth... but imagine the options with davis/gates... with davis' speed, you can even use him at slot... talk about a mismatch nightmare for opposing secondaries....

so many possibilities with davis or gates coming off the line... gates is an improved blocker... and davis certainly has the tools to become a great blocker....

L.T. - 21
03-13-2006, 01:39 PM
no no no, he is messing up the draft, we need(i want) chad jackson

Charger Dave
03-13-2006, 01:40 PM
And no sooner to I talk about the on-going need for a LOT than I find this update on KFFL:

Chargers | Inquiring about Givens
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:12:13 -0800
The Boston Globe reports the San Diego Chargers (http://www.kffl.com/team/31/nfl) have inquired about meeting with free agent WR David Givens (http://www.kffl.com/player/5766/nfl) (Patriots), according to Givens' agent, Brad Blank.

loweezy
03-13-2006, 01:42 PM
i'm fine with chad jackson at #19... i wouldn't trade up for him...

i don't really want santonio holmes... but i'd prefer him over sinorice moss... both display similar speed... santonio gets the edge as a better route runner and his physical tools (size in particular) are more ideal over sinorice.

in all honesty... i want a tackle at 19... or marcus mcneil... a MAULER of a guard to create some holes for LT... something that we lacked once we got rid of fonoti... the only real question i have with mcneil is... can his back hold up?

BoltsPride
03-13-2006, 01:50 PM
I would much rather sign RT Jon Runyan than Givens.
Runyan is one of my favorites to, but outside of Bentley, I do not know of AJ having any interest in a OL. If he is determined to sign a WR, I still think Givens would be a good addition. And if Givens gets away, how about a compromise, Lets try to get Brandon Manumaleuna, 6-2.5, 288 pd TE, Big enough to block like a tackle, can back up Gates at TE, And can line up at FB to.

loweezy
03-13-2006, 01:54 PM
i definitely want a lineman in FA... :(

runyan... or even fabini! i highly doubt we'll go after mawae... which pretty much tells me that aj is pretty confident in hardwick... since we were recruiting bentley to play guard... i'll even settle for ashworth or neal from new england... we need to upgrade our line... specifically ROT (which i see as a double upgrade) since we would be able to move olivea into an interior role... we also DEFINITELY need more depth at LT too... seeing how much our line suffered after oben went down

56lightsout56
03-13-2006, 02:10 PM
speaking about FA, Runyan has said he wont travel unless he gets an offer from a Team. He isnt that old (32) for a tackle and he's not going to be that expensive. Plus then Olivea can move to a guard spot, his more natural position. Here is a link to that story (the ref about Runyan is about 2/3 down):

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14084405.htm

And if youre interested here is a link to a FA tracker put up by Great Blue North draft site. If we only sign 1 more FA and when Peele and Brees sign, I am sure AJ will be arguing for a #3 compensory pick in the 07 draft.

http://www.gbnreport.com/2006freeagentscoreboard.html

Charger Dave
03-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Runyan is one of my favorites to, but outside of Bentley, I do not know of AJ having any interest in a OL. If he is determined to sign a WR, I still think Givens would be a good addition. And if Givens gets away, how about a compromise, Lets try to get Brandon Manumaleuna, 6-2.5, 288 pd TE, Big enough to block like a tackle, can back up Gates at TE, And can line up at FB to.I determined last year that any time Jordan is in the game he needs to be covered up by a tight end to help keep the defender in front of him.. If Oben can't go for any reason - look for a ton of two TE sets.

Whopper Stopper
03-13-2006, 02:21 PM
I determined last year that any time Jordan is in the game he needs to be covered up by a tight end to help keep the defender in front of him.. If Oben can't go for any reason - look for a ton of two TE sets.

Jordan and bob hallen are piles. they killed us last year. We desparatly need o line help. I wish aj would have picked up shaffer but oh well. runyan would be a good start. If we pick up another WR in FA like givens I see aj going with oline in the 1st round. If we had a line like KC's last year LT would have scored 30 TD's 2000 yrs easy IMO.

BoltsfanNYC
03-13-2006, 02:28 PM
look all we need is fabin or runyan... givens would be a nice addition dont get me wrong... but... WE need blocking and depth. give me runyan.... and a 2nd round tackle and I am happy... also a decent center for a backup would help too,.

loweezy
03-13-2006, 02:39 PM
look all we need is fabin or runyan... givens would be a nice addition dont get me wrong... but... WE need blocking and depth. give me runyan.... and a 2nd round tackle and I am happy... also a decent center for a backup would help too,.

i agree... one free agent tackle... and then draft line depth... i want at least 3 new linemen in the mix next season... whether it be backup or upgrades... the very least, we should be upgrading our backups!

Totally Bolted
03-13-2006, 02:44 PM
i definitely want a lineman in FA... :(

runyan... or even fabini! i highly doubt we'll go after mawae... which pretty much tells me that aj is pretty confident in hardwick... since we were recruiting bentley to play guard... i'll even settle for ashworth or neal from new england... we need to upgrade our line... specifically ROT (which i see as a double upgrade) since we would be able to move olivea into an interior role... we also DEFINITELY need more depth at LT too... seeing how much our line suffered after oben went down

Can't agree with you more. The need is the worst there IMO. I don't see us getting Dbrick. He is about the only one we could put at LT as a starter.

As for Givens, he'd fit well. I'd like him in blue n gold. He's not just possesson. His burst of speed off the line allows for 3 step drops. Soft hands and will catch over the middle.

poon
03-13-2006, 02:46 PM
So does anyone know if/when he is coming to meet?

Rivers2Gates
03-13-2006, 02:49 PM
okay so the chargers need a number one wide out right? do these look like number one numbers?
59 receptions for 738 yards with TWO touchdowns. ehhh.... he would be ok but lets get a number one and dont say VJ yet because he is still learning and we will have to see how he does. if anything i would think AJ would want Rivers to do the best he can so i would like to see AJ bring in some big name Wide outs foe rivers to learn with.

Podium
03-13-2006, 02:49 PM
okay so the chargers need a number one wide out right? do these look like number one numbers?Stat OverviewReceivingRushingFumblesSPLITRECYDSAVGLNGTD ATTYDSAVGLNGTDFUMLST20055973812.54022136.59000

looks like gibberish

Podium
03-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Titans made an offer to Givens btw.

eightdogs1
03-13-2006, 02:53 PM
How can you judge Rivers a bust when he's only been played sparingly ? He didn't start in 2004 because Brees, and his own agent, kept him on the bench by not agreeing to terms before training camp. And he didn't play much in 2005 because Brees had earned the starting role by his stellar play in 2004. So how can you judge Rivers to be a bust when he's never gotten the opportunity to show what he can do behind the first team line and with the first team offense ? Personally, I have no opinion on how good or bad Rivers will be , since I haven't seem enough of him in action to make that judgement. But AJ has. And AJ found Gates, a basketball player who wasn't even drafted. And he found Turner, a running back that could start for most teams in the league, but is a backup here because he plays behind the best, in LT. And I bet that Vincent Jackson will be another nice surprise. So between AJ's player assessment and yours, I'll stick with AJ's judgement, and look forward to seeing Rivers in action. Then, I'll make a judgement. Not now.

BoltsfanNYC
03-13-2006, 02:55 PM
givens and VJ Parker would be great set in the next 2-5 years.... right now... GATES is the MAN. if VJ is good we are set...remember Rivers can throw the deep ball... but we must fix OLINE for all of them!

eightdogs1
03-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Looks like this is AJ's type of guy. Here's ESPN Insider's scouting report profile of Given's:

#87 David Givens | WR
http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s6115.jpg
Full Name: David Lamar Givens
Born: August 16, 1980Youngstown, OH

Height: 6-0
Weight: 215 lbs.
Pos: WR
Experience: 4 years
College: Notre Dame
Drafted: Year:2002 Round:7 Pick:42, Patriots

REC 59 | YDS 738 | TD 2

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 73 | Key (http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/features/scouting#key)
Alert: None

Comment:
He does a nice job of using his body to shield from the defender and will regularly snag balls over the middle and make catches in traffic. He is not one of those guys that needs time to build speed and for a big receiver, he gets to his top gear in a hurry. He is very effective in the red zone because of his size and ability to physically go up and get jump balls. He is really improved with his overall consistency and has the makings of a go-to receiver. He doesn't have any glaring athletic weaknesses. He can either play a speed game in which he is probably very much underrated, or he can also play a power game and use his physicality as a receiver to get the pass offense some tough catches.

-nflphd
Sounds really good. Fast and strong. Speed and power. The whole package.

Rivers2Gates
03-13-2006, 03:03 PM
looks like gibberish
haha i know ooops but i fixed it beer

BoltsfanNYC
03-13-2006, 03:03 PM
great addition... but we need ...
1.tackle
2.safety
3.Guard
4ILB
5#wr

Givens is none of those! do i think he is better than reche... YES! but, imagine this
TMAC-VJ good year...#3parker-someone here fillin
and GATES! thisis not a hole area if VJ is good this year, similar numbers 50-70 catches-5TD-5-700 yards,,,

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 03:26 PM

O line is more important than a reciever. If you don't have time to throw, then you can't get the ball to a reciever no matter how good he is. Also, the running game opens up the passing game.

LarryAW
03-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Espn reports he wants a 4 million dollar contract. So far he visited the Texans and is scheduled to meet with the Titans and Fins. Do you think AJ is willing sign him?

If AJ thinks he's worth what he's asking, he'll sign him. McCree got 5 years $16 million; more money than people thought he would get. I think he made $250,000 with the Panthers last. Nice upgrade. ;)

LarryAW
03-13-2006, 03:30 PM
O line is more important than a reciever. If you don't have time to throw, then you can't get the ball to a reciever no matter how good he is. Also, the running game opens up the passing game.

I agree. But if AJ doesn't see one he likes (he liked Bentley, but didn't get the chance to even talk to him), he won't sign anyone. He knows he has to improve the OL some how. You would think there would be somebody available he likes.

TBOLTZCALI
03-13-2006, 03:31 PM
How can you judge Rivers a bust when he's only been played sparingly ? He didn't start in 2004 because Brees, and his own agent, kept him on the bench by not agreeing to terms before training camp. And he didn't play much in 2005 because Brees had earned the starting role by his stellar play in 2004. So how can you judge Rivers to be a bust when he's never gotten the opportunity to show what he can do behind the first team line and with the first team offense ? Personally, I have no opinion on how good or bad Rivers will be , since I haven't seem enough of him in action to make that judgement. But AJ has. And AJ found Gates, a basketball player who wasn't even drafted. And he found Turner, a running back that could start for most teams in the league, but is a backup here because he plays behind the best, in LT. And I bet that Vincent Jackson will be another nice surprise. So between AJ's player assessment and yours, I'll stick with AJ's judgement, and look forward to seeing Rivers in action. Then, I'll make a judgement. Not now.
I remember everyone thought DB was a bust his first couple of years. Lets give PR one year atleast.

WakkaWakkaWakka
03-13-2006, 03:32 PM
I agree. But if AJ doesn't see one he likes (he liked Bentley, but didn't get the chance to even talk to him), he won't sign anyone. He knows he has to improve the OL some how. You would think there would be somebody available he likes.

Somehow I'm starting to feel those EXTRA DRAFT PICKS will somehow fix our O-Line situation, if you know what I mean...

Boltman19
03-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Actually it doesn't.

We need an O-line first

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 03:39 PM
I would love if we signed Givens in FA and then draft O line or secondary in the first. I think we should take the highest rated guy at either position. I wish we would have signed an o lineman in FA but it doesn't look like it will happen.

Marlon McCree isn't going to help much so I still think our needs in the secondary are exactly the same. I wish we hadn't signed him at all.

JerryinCA
03-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Somehow I'm starting to feel those EXTRA DRAFT PICKS will somehow fix our O-Line situation, if you know what I mean...

I hope you don't mean through the draft, last year we drafted all O line with our late picks and only one of them even made the team originally so that was pretty much a bust. If you mean try to group them up and trade them for something maybe you are right but if you mean just using them to draft late round gems I seriously doubt AJ's ability to do so since the only one that we've done that with so far is Olivea.

Back to Givens I really think we could use this guy, let's face it Keenan is only going to be good for prob 1-2 more years and Givens would really help us have a strong receiving group even after Keenan is gone.

ChampCharger
03-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Givens and McCardell would provide GREAT leadership/mentoring ability for their new QB Rivers. But is that gonna be enough for the Chargers to succeed?

WakkaWakkaWakka
03-13-2006, 04:01 PM
I hope you don't mean through the draft, last year we drafted all O line with our late picks and only one of them even made the team originally so that was pretty much a bust. If you mean try to group them up and trade them for something maybe you are right but if you mean just using them to draft late round gems I seriously doubt AJ's ability to do so since the only one that we've done that with so far is Olivea.

Back to Givens I really think we could use this guy, let's face it Keenan is only going to be good for prob 1-2 more years and Givens would really help us have a strong receiving group even after Keenan is gone.

Trust me, I wasn't thinking about the actual draft. We traded for roman oben, we could probably pull some more O-Linemen the same way.

poon
03-13-2006, 04:04 PM

I agree with you about surrounding Rivers with experienced receivers

I disagree about building through the draft with the OL. If we spend our first two picks on OL that will go a long way in improving our situation. Would like to pick up a vet somewhere too though.

loweezy
03-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Marlon McCree isn't going to help much so I still think our needs in the secondary are exactly the same. I wish we hadn't signed him at all.

gee, where'd you get your crystal ball from? the guy had a breakout season last year... and was among the panthers leading tacklers to go along with 3 picks (regular season) and 2 in the playoffs...

from some of the safety scouting reports i read, he has the MOST upside of any of the safeties that were available...

maybe saying, you 'think' he isn't an upgrade would have been more appropriate...

JerryinCA
03-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Trust me, I wasn't thinking about the actual draft. We traded for roman oben, we could probably pull some more O-Linemen the same way.

I'd like that too but we need someone who's a long term answer there IMO and if Oben was just a stop gap then what are we going to get with trading away late picks this time? I like Oben, he seems like a great guy but I know we can upgrade that area even when he's healthy let alone having to worry about him getting injured again and I think if we are to do that we need to do it with someone who's a bit better at the position than he is.

ryry2104
03-13-2006, 05:37 PM
givens brother lives in san diego too

DEboltsfan
03-13-2006, 06:00 PM
gee, where'd you get your crystal ball from? the guy had a breakout season last year... and was among the panthers leading tacklers to go along with 3 picks (regular season) and 2 in the playoffs...

from some of the safety scouting reports i read, he has the MOST upside of any of the safeties that were available...

maybe saying, you 'think' he isn't an upgrade would have been more appropriate...

I wasn't just thinking the same thing. McCree is an excellent upgrade to our secondary. Alot of times people get hung up on particular players in FA just because he is the one everyone is talking about (Hope). But there are plenty of good players out there and we have found one in McCree. He is a player with some serious upside. As for Givens I've heard he is looking for a payday, which I don't think he'll find here.

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 06:14 PM

He didn't have a breakout season. He had six picks in his second year with the Jaguars. He has had to move around a lot because he is not a great safety. His main problem is his speed. He's not as fast as an ideal safety shoud be.

True he had the most tackles of any season in his career but he still is not very good. Besides, the Seahawks shredded the Panthers secondary in the playoffs. And they have a better secondary than us for the most part.

He played well when he was playing with a team that generated a ton of pressure up front. (The Jaguars when they were playoff contenders, and the Panthers last year.) He did absolutely nothing for the Texans. And, while we generate more pressure than the Texans, we don't compare with the Jaguars and the Panthers while McCree was playing for them.

Pressure makes the secondary's job easier. That's why McCree played better last year. I expect him to put up numbers like he did on the texans.

Boltfan92153
03-13-2006, 06:33 PM
The pressure we put on QBs last year was good, but with Merriman starting 16 games hopefully, we can get even more pressure.

psychofan
03-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Givens would be more than a sufficient replacement for Caldwell. He is so much better than Caldwell i dont even know how u could compare them. If AJ knows he wont draft Chad Jackson, he should jump on David Givens right now. and i mean now!!!

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? Givens is a great reciever and Caldwell is bad. You obviously didn't see what Caldwell did last year and this year. Givens may be a little bit better but it isnt that large of a difference.

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 06:38 PM
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? Givens is a great reciever and Caldwell is bad. You obviously didn't see what Caldwell did last year and this year. Givens may be a little bit better but it isnt that large of a difference.

Givens is bigger and stronger. He is a much more physical reciever and better route runner than Caldwell. He is just as fast as Caldwell. Givens would challenge Keenan for the number one spot. He is a big improvment over Caldwell.

JerryinCA
03-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Givens is bigger and stronger. He is a much more physical reciever and better route runner than Caldwell. He is just as fast as Caldwell. Givens would challenge Keenan for the number one spot. He is a big improvment over Caldwell.

I think Givens would be an improvement over Reche in every way but mostly in the fact that I think he's more disciplined. Reche lacked focus and the coaches worked with him on that his whole time here, it just didn't work out.

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 07:03 PM
I think Givens would be an improvement over Reche in every way but mostly in the fact that I think he's more disciplined. Reche lacked focus and the coaches worked with him on that his whole time here, it just didn't work out.

You're absolutely right. Discipline and focus are directly related. Focus is what allows a guy to run precise routes and be in sync with his QB. It also allows a Receiver to catch the ball in traffic. Strength also plays a key role. Givens is a very strong reciever and he showed a lot of courage catching the ball over the middle. He would give us another dimension to our passing game that we are lacking.

Reche is a good reciever but he lacks some of the things that Givens brings to the table.

BoltFanNChicago
03-13-2006, 07:03 PM
There must be some wacky tobacky out in SD....

Vincent Jackson being a big threat, addition etc etc.... he was and is until I am proven wrong the 2nd coming of Michael Ricks(sp). He failed to put in the long hours needed to be a standout in camp, easily injured, slow to learn the offense, bad routes.... it seemed like a Bobby Beatherd reach pick at the time and he was the worst WR taken in the draft( stats wise).. sure he can improve but there is a reason he went to a no-name college, I truly wish him the best but I don't see him ever being a serious factor for the Bolts. Maybe a solid # 3 guy down the line....

Chad Jackson.. Not sold on him at all... and someone called Santonio Holmes the next Deion Branch.... that's crazy!!! If we take a WR in the 1st round and it's not Holmes it's a blunder.. Chad Jackson will be a nice fit alongside a legit # 1. He won't be a #1 in the NFL......

Chad Jackson Scouting Negatives: NFL teams don't know how effective he can be on deep routes because he didn't run many of them in college. ... Must improve blocking technique and develop a more aggressive attitude toward making contact.

loweezy
03-13-2006, 07:13 PM
He didn't have a breakout season. He had six picks in his second year with the Jaguars. He has had to move around a lot because he is not a great safety. His main problem is his speed. He's not as fast as an ideal safety shoud be.

True he had the most tackles of any season in his career but he still is not very good. Besides, the Seahawks shredded the Panthers secondary in the playoffs. And they have a better secondary than us for the most part.

He played well when he was playing with a team that generated a ton of pressure up front. (The Jaguars when they were playoff contenders, and the Panthers last year.) He did absolutely nothing for the Texans. And, while we generate more pressure than the Texans, we don't compare with the Jaguars and the Panthers while McCree was playing for them.

Pressure makes the secondary's job easier. That's why McCree played better last year. I expect him to put up numbers like he did on the texans.

you're basically discrediting the chargers improvement at passrush, if you're saying he puts up houston texans #'s... good thing you're not aj smith

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 07:17 PM
you're basically discrediting the chargers improvement at passrush, if you're saying he puts up houston texans #'s... good thing you're not aj smith

I'm not diescrediting it, I am just saying it's not as good as the Panthers. The Panthers have arguably the best pass rush in the NFL. You can't say that we are as good as them at getting to the QB.

cstu
03-13-2006, 08:17 PM
There must be some wacky tobacky out in SD....

Vincent Jackson being a big threat, addition etc etc.... he was and is until I am proven wrong the 2nd coming of Michael Ricks(sp). He failed to put in the long hours needed to be a standout in camp, easily injured, slow to learn the offense, bad routes.... it seemed like a Bobby Beatherd reach pick at the time and he was the worst WR taken in the draft( stats wise).. sure he can improve but there is a reason he went to a no-name college, I truly wish him the best but I don't see him ever being a serious factor for the Bolts. Maybe a solid # 3 guy down the line....

Chad Jackson.. Not sold on him at all... and someone called Santonio Holmes the next Deion Branch.... that's crazy!!! If we take a WR in the 1st round and it's not Holmes it's a blunder.. Chad Jackson will be a nice fit alongside a legit # 1. He won't be a #1 in the NFL......

Chad Jackson Scouting Negatives: NFL teams don't know how effective he can be on deep routes because he didn't run many of them in college. ... Must improve blocking technique and develop a more aggressive attitude toward making contact.

Ok, Debbie Downer...

Anyway, the Chargers knew that VJ would take time to develop. Not many WR's are great their rookie year and the Chargers will be fine giving him 2-3 years to develop.

As far as Chad Jackson goes, did he not catch 88 passes last year? He also went from a 20+ YPC to 10 YPC after the offense changed. Speed is not a problem and he can learn to run deep routes. The same thing does for blocking since most rookies aren't good blockers straight out of college.

BoltFanNChicago
03-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Ok, Debbie Downer...

Anyway, the Chargers knew that VJ would take time to develop. Not many WR's are great their rookie year and the Chargers will be fine giving him 2-3 years to develop.

As far as Chad Jackson goes, did he not catch 88 passes last year? He also went from a 20+ YPC to 10 YPC after the offense changed. Speed is not a problem and he can learn to run deep routes. The same thing does for blocking since most rookies aren't good blockers straight out of college.

I know.. a bit of a downer but trying to be realistic... the Bolts have the WORST track record of any NFL team drafting wideouts. It can't be argued they have never been able to evaluate WRs.. think about it... name one guy we drafted who turned out to be a legit wideout? how about the last 10 guys we drafted in the last 12 drafts.... Vincent Jackson, Terry Charles, Mikhael Ricks, Kio Sandford, Bryan Still, Charlie Jones, Jimmy Oliver, O'Mar Ellison, Brandon Harrison and Andre Coleman......talk about a downer...

And Jacksons stats scare me to death... again, not saying he won't do well but he is something we already have in McCardell, if VJ works out, Eric Parker etc etc...

How do you turn great hands and 4.3 speed into 88 catches and only 880 yards... he's a possesion receiver and we have nothing but those guys already...

JCDavey
03-13-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm not diescrediting it, I am just saying it's not as good as the Panthers. The Panthers have arguably the best pass rush in the NFL. You can't say that we are as good as them at getting to the QB.chargers had 46 sacks last year, panthers had 45

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 08:32 PM
chargers had 46 sacks last year, panthers had 45

Point taken but sacks doesn't always say how good your pass rush is. Just like interceptions don't say how good your pass defense is. Everyone gameplans against the Panthers D-line. The threat they pose is more than the Chargers. Besides, the Chargers had to bring extra guys to get those sacks. The Panthers get them with just four rushers everytime.

We consistently blitz 5 (6 was a typo) guys which pulls guys out of coverage. (two LBs and the D-line)

JCDavey
03-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Point taken but sacks doesn't always say how good your pass rush is. Just like interceptions don't say how good your pass defense is. Everyone gameplans against the Panthers D-line. The threat they pose is more than the Chargers. Besides, the Chargers had to bring extra guys to get those sacks. The Panthers get them with just four rushers everytime.

We consistently blitz 6 guys which pulls guys out of coverage.yeah but you said You can't say that we are as good as them at getting to the QB.

you didn't say wa aren't as good at them at getting to the qb and not abandoning coverage to do so

cause that i probably would have agreed with

this post explains your point so much better

LABoltsFan
03-13-2006, 08:38 PM
the combination of both players is very intriguing....

both are basketball type guys and are very tall....

get used to the basketball style "jump up" and get the ball.... which shold be easy since most corners and safeties are 4-6 inches shorter than both!

BoltsfanNYC
03-13-2006, 08:40 PM
ummmmm so draft coverage and sign FA Runyan

hoopdreams
03-13-2006, 08:43 PM
yeah but you said

you didn't say wa aren't as good at them at getting to the qb and not abandoning coverage to do so

cause that i probably would have agreed with

this post explains your point so much better

My fault then. I should have elaborated.

Lightswitch
03-13-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm interested in becoming an us Olympic Curling champion . doesnt mean i will end up in Sweden or Germany . I don't know what i wanted to say but you get the picture . or maybe not anyways chargers being interested in someone not interested in them is becoming more and more common and with increased regularity.

promiseland
03-13-2006, 10:46 PM
I know.. a bit of a downer but trying to be realistic... the Bolts have the WORST track record of any NFL team drafting wideouts. It can't be argued they have never been able to evaluate WRs.. think about it... name one guy we drafted who turned out to be a legit wideout? how about the last 10 guys we drafted in the last 12 drafts.... Vincent Jackson, Terry Charles, Mikhael Ricks, Kio Sandford, Bryan Still, Charlie Jones, Jimmy Oliver, O'Mar Ellison, Brandon Harrison and Andre Coleman......talk about a downer...

And Jacksons stats scare me to death... again, not saying he won't do well but he is something we already have in McCardell, if VJ works out, Eric Parker etc etc...

How do you turn great hands and 4.3 speed into 88 catches and only 880 yards... he's a possesion receiver and we have nothing but those guys already...

Andre Coleman wasn't that bad!!

LABoltsFan
03-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Givens is a good prospect...

If AJ has put him on his radar, he understands his price/value and may be willing to make a deal..

and if his agent has said that we are "on the radar" means we are still a shot...

givens is not a superstar, so he may be waiting for offers or teams to settle before deciding... obviously he wants to go to a future SB champion...

patience.... a lot may be waiting on mr. brees and the events that unfold in the next few days.

LarryAW
03-13-2006, 11:11 PM

I've been wondering about that myself. AJ will get it done, somehow.

green_tree725
03-14-2006, 09:02 AM
David Givens has signed with the Tennesee Titans Rotoworld.com reports.
http://.rotoworld.com/includes/topblurbs.asp?sport=NFL

TheIceCreamMan
03-14-2006, 12:46 PM
everyone is getting signed!!!!!!!!!!

Merrimaniac
03-14-2006, 02:28 PM
once again we sit waiting for something to happen all the FA's who could actually make a difference get snapped up.