PDA

View Full Version : Will second wave of releases happen?

robanalog
03-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Could there be more players dropped later in the offseason? While looking on the Bears site @ Azumah, the board mentioned safety Mike Brown from CHI possibly being released. After this initial wave of drops, there may be some players that could be picked up more easily if teams have already filled their need early in FA. Anybody else heard other names?

Podium
03-14-2006, 11:04 AM
June 1 is another date to look out for. Or somewhere around there.

The cap hit for players cut after that day can be spread over 2 seasons and not just 1.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

BoltsfanNYC
03-14-2006, 11:09 AM
well all i know is WA...better release someone because they are way over the cap right now! and are looking at more guys!

Confuzed Azn
03-14-2006, 12:04 PM
well all i know is WA...better release someone because they are way over the cap right now! and are looking at more guys!
They aren't THAT far over the cap. Their strategy is to sign the players to long term contracts to spread the hit over 6-7 seasons. They basically HAVE to win next season because they'll be screwed in the long run.

Podium
03-14-2006, 12:05 PM
They aren't THAT far over the cap. Their strategy is to sign the players to long term contracts to spread the hit over 6-7 seasons. They basically HAVE to win next season because they'll be screwed in the long run.

yup. they turned roster bonuses into guaranteed money, spreading out those cap hits. putting off the inevitable.

hambone
03-14-2006, 12:10 PM
if the bears released mike brown i think he's SS i would love him, he's amazing he will be exspensive but he's well worth it and would be a major upgrade over anyone in a secondary

Boltfan92153
03-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Brown is one tough SS and he also has knowledge of playing FS

drangus
03-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Brown is one tough SS and he also has knowledge of playing FS

why on earth would the bears ever release mike brown?

kcboltfan
03-14-2006, 10:13 PM

The only reason would be injuries which he has had problems with. He is a very good player. It is hard to imagine that they would let him go.

Tomlinson21
03-14-2006, 11:11 PM
is he good?

WakkaWakkaWakka
03-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Didn't AJ pick up Godfrey, Foley, and Goff after the june 1st cuts 2-3 years ago?

If AJ doesn't make ,any signings right now he might just be doing the same thing and jsut waiting for the next wave.

bolt dude
03-14-2006, 11:33 PM
please get John Runyan. He is one nasty SOB.

Podium
03-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Oh btw, forgot to add this.

Roster bonuses are due right about now. This forces teams and players to restructure or part ways. Players like Keyshawn and TO. Teams try to avoid paying those roster bonuses

(sidenote: Brees is due a $12 million roster bonus next March, so there is a possibility he gets cut)

fan since 1976
03-15-2006, 08:34 AM
I hope AJ is not interested in MEshawn Johnson

Podium
03-15-2006, 08:40 AM
I hope AJ is not interested in MEshawn Johnson

I don't think he is. Too many possession receivers. Keyshawn would work great in Arizona IMO. He'd have to swallow some of his pride (hahahah).

But Boldin, Fitz, Keyshawn, and James.

You've got Boldin and Fitz who can stretch the field. Boldin is good going underneath, and Keyshawn makes his living over the middle.

And interestingly enough, I've heard Key mentioned in the same sentence as Foxboro.

LABoltsFan
03-22-2006, 04:07 PM
After the draft are there any early indications of players the chargers may cut, or players other teams may cut?

JoeMcRugby
03-22-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't think he is. Too many possession receivers. Keyshawn would work great in Arizona IMO. He'd have to swallow some of his pride (hahahah).

But Boldin, Fitz, Keyshawn, and James.

You've got Boldin and Fitz who can stretch the field. Boldin is good going underneath, and Keyshawn makes his living over the middle.

And interestingly enough, I've heard Key mentioned in the same sentence as Foxboro.

Me just turned down a $3 million per season deal with the Giants.

That rules NE out.

fregon
03-22-2006, 04:29 PM
(sidenote: Brees is due a $12 million roster bonus next March, so there is a possibility he gets cut)

You are killing me Podium :) I strongly believe that our Foleys & Goffs will come in the second wave. In AJ we trust.

Podium
03-22-2006, 04:34 PM
You are killing me Podium :) I strongly believe that our Foleys & Goffs will come in the second wave. In AJ we trust.

Yeah, I feel that way too. All the teams are spending money early and overpaying for players. Gotta wait till that second wave of cuts where the "trash is thrown out"

because one teams trash can be another team's treasure.

Ikeman83
03-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Even if Brees were to be cut by NO over money, I don't see him coming back here if AJ is the GM.

Ikeman83
03-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I feel that way too. All the teams are spending money early and overpaying for players. Gotta wait till that second wave of cuts where the "trash is thrown out"

because one teams trash can be another team's treasure.

Maybe Smith thinks Johnathan Ogden or Orlando Pace will be cut...

Podium
03-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Maybe Smith thinks Johnathan Ogden or Orlando Pace will be cut...

I heard Ogden's contemplating retirement, this year or next.

fregon
03-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Even if Brees were to be cut by NO over money, I don't see him coming back here if AJ is the GM.

Now your killing me Ike :p What Podium said was a joke about DB being cut.

Podium
03-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Now your killing me Ike :p What Podium said was a joke about DB being cut.

No it wasn't Fregon.

Seriously, there is a realistic chance that Brees is cut next offseason.

I don't think he'll ever come back to San Diego, but I was just pointing it out.

fregon
03-22-2006, 04:54 PM
No it wasn't Fregon.

Seriously, there is a realistic chance that Brees is cut next offseason.

I don't think he'll ever come back to San Diego, but I was just pointing it out.

My mistake... I thought you were talking about this season.. thus I thought it was joke.

Podium
03-22-2006, 04:58 PM
My mistake... I thought you were talking about this season.. thus I thought it was joke.

Yeah, that's what I thought you thought that I was saying haha.

But, don't be surprised if Brees is a UFA next offseason.

Ikeman83
03-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Fregon, I may believe that Brees was going to be the best Chargers QB since Fouts, but I think we all know he wasn't getting cut this season.

I'm a realist, remember? ;-)

LABoltsFan
03-22-2006, 07:40 PM
with patience, and careful observations, i think, after the draft is over some quality players will be cut...

these are the players AJ likes.....

people who did not live up to their potential somewhere else (in some other system)....

as i recall last year, we picked up a few players late into free agency...