PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Shea

KingGL
03-14-2006, 11:45 PM
WHoopity dooooooooooo.......Guess AJ is willing to look outside the 4 choices this guy though I have no interest in whether we sign him or not I dont care...

Chargers | Shea says team interested
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:28:12 -0800

Patrick McManamon, of the Akron Beacon Journal, reports free agent TE Aaron Shea (Browns) said Tuesday, March 14, the San Diego Chargers have expressed an interest in him.

KingGL
03-14-2006, 11:50 PM
He is a smooth receiver with very good quickness. He is a solid route runner - can put his foot in the ground and change directions well. He sells his double moves well and can get the defender leaning in one direction. He is functional after the catch - doesn't have top speed but advances the ball forward quickly. He will go inside and catch in traffic. He has soft hands and can adjust outside his frame. He needs to be a move blocker - can motion and crack down on a DE, but he struggles to play on the LOS. He gets tossed around by both DE's and LB's in line. He does not get a push at the point of attack. He will lose his power angles and is on the ground too often in the run game.

They also mentioned durability is an issue.

mwooten
03-14-2006, 11:51 PM
WHoopity dooooooooooo.......Guess AJ is willing to look outside the 4 choices this guy though I have no interest in whether we sign him or not I dont care...

Patrick McManamon, of the Akron Beacon Journal, reports free agent TE Aaron Shea (Browns) said Tuesday, March 14, the San Diego Chargers have expressed an interest in him.
Sweet!!!! I hope he doesn't turn us down.

boLTfan4lf
03-14-2006, 11:55 PM

only exciting thing about this is it shows the chargers are still looking.

KingGL
03-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Agreed....Maybe AJ will try to get at least a body in the OL...I honestly dont care who it is. Depth is needed there more then anywhere else......Neal is still out there.....I think we will go after Moulds hard if they let him go....

SDFaiderHater
03-15-2006, 01:03 AM

way to go AJ, talking to the bigtimers now...hell, forget about Lecharles or Ty Law, Aaron Shea, thats the guy you build your franchise around....

Natedawg01
03-15-2006, 01:16 AM
way to go AJ, talking to the bigtimers now...hell, forget about Lecharles or Ty Law, Aaron Shea, thats the guy you build your franchise around....

Our franchise is built already. We're just looking to adds the last few pieces now :P

OH-10BoltsFan
03-15-2006, 01:19 AM
haha you guys are funny at least we'll have some depth at TE but I too would like to see some O-line moves this offseason just to protect philip

LIGHTNINGBOLTinc
03-15-2006, 01:54 AM
TE - Jeb Putzier UFA 4 6-4/256 - Boise State - Denver Broncos
How about we nab Putzier away from Denver.

robanalog
03-15-2006, 09:38 AM
TE - Jeb Putzier UFA 4 6-4/256 - Boise State - Denver Broncos
How about we nab Putzier away from Denver.

I agree. I was just wondering this morning why no team has had him in for a visit. He caught the ball well against us and is a pretty big guy.

hambone
03-15-2006, 09:40 AM
i wouldnt mind getting shea, when i watched a few browns games he did good getting open and catching and wasnt a bad blocker but he tends to get injuried, but i also noticed it didnt help when his qb would throw a ball right into a defender to help him get hurt

Podium
03-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Shea's only knock is that he gets injured.

If I'm not mistaken he played FB too. Right?

Alibell1
03-15-2006, 10:12 AM

How many times does it have to be said until people finaly believe it? Bentley was not coming to SD, he wanted to go home, so it's time to get over it.

Tycebrew
03-15-2006, 10:13 AM

No need to be angry. LeCharles didn't want to play for us, he wanted to go home to Cleveland.

SDFaiderHater
03-15-2006, 10:22 AM
No need to be angry. LeCharles didn't want to play for us, he wanted to go home to Cleveland.

did we even TRY to talk to him... and Ty Law basically said he would like to play for us, and AJ said no thanks.

robanalog
03-15-2006, 10:32 AM
did we even TRY to talk to him... and Ty Law basically said he would like to play for us, and AJ said no thanks.

We're not going to pay any DB (including Drew Brees) 10mil a year. He's looking to get paid.

BoltsPride
03-15-2006, 10:52 AM
We're not going to pay any DB (including Drew Brees) 10mil a year. He's looking to get paid.
I think the point was that AJ did not even talk to Law, or anybody else other than McCree. We should not spend money foolishly, but AJ could show a little more life when it comes to trying to improve the team through FA. Aaron Shea is nothing more than a low budget version of Justin Peele.

Podium
03-15-2006, 10:53 AM
AJ did talk to Bentley. They tried to get him to come visit, but he was already decided.

robanalog
03-15-2006, 11:03 AM
I think the point was that AJ did not even talk to Law, or anybody else other than McCree. We should not spend money foolishly, but AJ could show a little more life when it comes to trying to improve the team through FA. Aaron Shea is nothing more than a low budget version of Justin Peele.

I agree about Shea. He's another Stephen Alexander.
As far as Law goes, let's say you are in the market for a car... You have a budget that you will pay. Now, even though a hummer's out of your budget and you know it, would you still go to a hummer dealership knowing that you won't pay that much for a car and see if you could get it cheaper?
...Law has his perceived market value and it's way above what AJ would pay so, why even explore that option when it's not really an option at all?

BoltsPride
03-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Did AJ talk directly to Bentley ?, I think they just sent out a message to his agent saying we are interested, if he is interested. Even so, who else has AJ talked to, All I know is, AJ dragged his heels when it came to Givens. Thats about it until this Shea rumor surfaced.

BoltsPride
03-15-2006, 11:16 AM
I agree about Shea. He's another Stephen Alexander.
As far as Law goes, let's say you are in the market for a car... You have a budget that you will pay. Now, even though a hummer's out of your budget and you know it, would you still go to a hummer dealership knowing that you won't pay that much for a car and see if you could get it cheaper?
...Law has his perceived market value and it's way above what AJ would pay so, why even explore that option when it's not really an option at all?

I agree on Law, way to expensive for us, but he was used just as an example, to reflect what some perceive as failure on AJ's part to be more active in free agency. Is everyone out of our price range ?. Was McCree the only FA that could help improve the team this year ?. I don't think so.

FoutstoJJ
03-15-2006, 11:23 AM

I, for one am completely dissappointed in our lack-luster performance on the free agent market. Aren't we 17 million + under the cap now. Perhaps, more with the new CBA. Add to that the fact we will no longer be paying Brees 9 million a year....and money should be a plenty!

I thought McCree was going to be a Charger weeks ago, because he fits the mold (the AJ Smith mold), but I also thought we would make a much larger effort to sign a free agent receiver and a legitimately strong tackle or guard to bolster an offensive line that needs more than Jack Henry to make it better.

This team is getting increasingly thrifty with each passing year, and although the money should not be given away, I'm mystified that AJ believes this team has it's needs met. Sure, the draft is the most sound way to build a team, but yet at the same time, adding some important veterans to balance the youth of each draft is immensely important.

I just can't believe we, with all of this cap friendly money, are satisfied with one free/strong safety pick up. This team still has holes in the secondary, and this line is the same line that although steady at pass blocking could not open up consistent holes for the most prolific back in the NFL right now.

But apparently, the draft is going to take care of that....according to this front office. Well, I hate to break it to AJ, but a 21 year old fresh out of college linemen is not going to work miracles in his first year of the NFL. Thus, aren't we right back where we were last year?

Miffed...

nflphd
03-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Shea's only knock is that he gets injured.

If I'm not mistaken he played FB too. Right?

Yes Shea played fullback at Michigan and was a a good "college" blocker and great receiver out of the backfield. I'm a Michigan fan so I followed him when he played there. He was a very athletic FB at Michigan and made a lot of big plays. I lost track of him when he went to the NFL. Looks like he hasn't been used that much. I don't know how good of a blocker he is in the NFL but he has solid hands.

-nflphd

SDFaiderHater
03-15-2006, 11:28 AM
I, for one am completely dissappointed in our lack-luster performance on the free agent market. Aren't we 17 million + under the cap now. Perhaps, more with the new CBA. Add to that the fact we will no longer be paying Brees 9 million a year....and money should be a plenty!

I thought McCree was going to be a Charger weeks ago, because he fits the mold (the AJ Smith mold), but I also thought we would make a much larger effort to sign a free agent receiver and a legitimately strong tackle or guard to bolster an offensive line that needs more than Jack Henry to make it better.

This team is getting increasingly thrifty with each passing year, and although the money should not be given away, I'm mystified that AJ believes this team has it's needs met. Sure, the draft is the most sound way to build a team, but yet at the same time, adding some important veterans to balance the youth of each draft is immensely important.

I just can't believe we, with all of this cap friendly money, are satisfied with one free/strong safety pick up. This team still has holes in the secondary, and this line is the same line that although steady at pass blocking could not open up consistent holes for the most prolific back in the NFL right now.

But apparently, the draft is going to take care of that....according to this front office. Well, I hate to break it to AJ, but a 21 year old fresh out of college linemen is not going to work miracles in his first year of the NFL. Thus, aren't we right back where we were last year?

Miffed...

AS far as i look at it, we were a third place team last year...and third place teams need to find ways to improve themselves outside of getting 2 or 3 players from the draft...lets be real here, a lot of the time second day picks dont even make the team.

Podium
03-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Yes Shea played fullback at Michigan and was a a good "college" blocker and great receiver out of the backfield. I'm a Michigan fan so I followed him when he played there. He was a very athletic FB at Michigan and made a lot of big plays. I lost track of him when he went to the NFL. Looks like he hasn't been used that much. I don't know how good of a blocker he is in the NFL but he has solid hands.

-nflphd

I thought he played FB in the NFL too. The only reason I bring it up is if you're a FB, you have to be a good blocker right?

Dojo
03-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Did AJ talk directly to Bentley ?, I think they just sent out a message to his agent saying we are interested, if he is interested. Even so, who else has AJ talked to, All I know is, AJ dragged his heels when it came to Givens. Thats about it until this Shea rumor surfaced.
How much did you want AJ to do? Bentley signed at the very begining of FA. If Bentley gave us time to talk to him then maybe we would have been able to schedule a sit down and discuss a contract. If we would have talked to him before FA began it would have been tampering. Would you have wanted AJ to fly to his house and knock on his door? NO! AJ has a job to do and there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. The right way is to fax interest letters and if the players not interested then you move on. There's plenty of players in the FA pool to put all your eggs in one basket, and then to have him take a job somewhere else anyway.

I'm actually glad AJ looked at a TE/FB in FA. I hope we sign him. I'de like to see him in a two TE look because it sounds like he's a better receiver than Peele but can't block as well. It could create mismatches outside and open some people up. Although I would like to see a big name G or a T get signed. Runyan! Runyan! Runyan! hopefully AJ could schedule him in for a meeting when he comes back from vacation.:rolleyes: go chargers! :Beer:

nflphd
03-15-2006, 12:00 PM

Miffed...

I know I'm a little disappointed as well. I liked Brees for one, but I can let that go since it's history at this point. They have a QB with a ton of talent (but that's for another thead).

I like the McCree signing but I can't believe the personnel group (not just AJ) thinks that there is only four players that have the Chargers make up. I would have loved to get LJ Shelton. AJ probably thinks he can use time to his advantage now. The dust is clearing from the big rush for the top talent and they'll bring in a O-Lineman or two and possibly a TE. The more holes we can fill in FA, the more focus we can have in the draft at really upgrading at some key positions (Tackle, Guard, WR, Corner, FS, ILB)

-nflphd

Dojo
03-15-2006, 12:13 PM

Miffed...
We had that moeny to sign the 4 players that AJ targeted. 3 of those players are now gone, leaving one player left. My point is, you have to make the room to sign all 4. If you can't sign them DO NOT SPEND THE MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE! DO NOT COMPRIMISE! If you do, the players you didn't want in the first place would not play well and your cap space will be gone. I'm sure AJ is still evaluating talent and has players targeted that was not on his "4". Fact is teams build their teams in the later weeks of FA and in the draft. That's where the heart and souls of the teams are built. We can't comprimise that by getting greedy for one year. Look at Philly.
Also, look at the teams that aren't doing anything in the market: Indy, New England, Denver, KC, San Diego, Pittsburg. I'de say we're in pretty good company. We don't have huge personel needs. Our needs could easily be fixed in the first day in the draft.

hambone
03-15-2006, 12:34 PM
what do u want the guy to do? they arent gonna go check the forums and sign people just to make u happy, he signs people that fit the system, ty law is old and exspensive , he tryed to talk to bentley but u cant force someone to come join ur team, just like givens he visited places before SD nothing we could do, AJ isnt just going to spend his money pointlessly, look at the redskins they do good 1 year then they struggle the next and the go crazy in FA we build through the draft even with having like 20mil to spend u gotta remember we still gotta sign UFA's and the rookies we draft , and also give some key players contract exstenstions , u also gotta remember there are 31 other nfl teams that probably want those guys just cuz u think they would fit in SD doesnt mean they will come so u gotta get less pissy when FA's sign at places like the redskins who will spend a crap load of money and still not win a superbowl

ltinabottle
03-15-2006, 12:47 PM
We had that moeny to sign the 4 players that AJ targeted. 3 of those players are now gone, leaving one player left. My point is, you have to make the room to sign all 4. If you can't sign them DO NOT SPEND THE MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE! DO NOT COMPRIMISE! If you do, the players you didn't want in the first place would not play well and your cap space will be gone. I'm sure AJ is still evaluating talent and has players targeted that was not on his "4". Fact is teams build their teams in the later weeks of FA and in the draft. That's where the heart and souls of the teams are built. We can't comprimise that by getting greedy for one year. Look at Philly.
Also, look at the teams that aren't doing anything in the market: Indy, New England, Denver, KC, San Diego, Pittsburg. I'de say we're in pretty good company. We don't have huge personel needs. Our needs could easily be fixed in the first day in the draft.

I agree...A.J. and staff are planning for April 29th. As the saying goes, it's better to be lucky than to be good. Well I hope, A.J. and staff can be both. Make good on their draft selections and with some luck have these selections make an immediate impact. Busts or scout players are not an option!

BoltsPride
03-15-2006, 12:55 PM

So if you target 4 players to fill 4 specific needs that your team has, and three of those targets sign with another team, do you just say, Oh Well, lets stop here. Seems like you should have a plan B in place. After all, the needs are still there, they did not go away like the free agents you targeted. Does AJ have a plan B ?, besides move on and do nothing.

BoltsPride
03-15-2006, 12:59 PM
AS far as i look at it, we were a third place team last year...and third place teams need to find ways to improve themselves outside of getting 2 or 3 players from the draft...lets be real here, a lot of the time second day picks dont even make the team.

Good point, I see it the same way to. Of course there is the " we had the toughest schedule argument ". Which has been the big excuse for last years 9-7 record.

ryry2104
03-15-2006, 05:04 PM
does anyone else thing we should have Kelly Griffeth gain 20-30 pounds and move to gaurd

he is alrdy 6'5 and 284 and he is a tight end so he probly isnt slow and would be a speedy gaurd

Boltz2175
03-18-2006, 07:32 AM
he just signed yesterday!!! way to go AJ

TJ21
03-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Why is no on happy about this? Shea's an improvement on Peele and improvevement is the key to success... I'm happy about the signing. :Beer:

BoltsfanNYC
03-18-2006, 08:36 AM
the only pieces we need are runyan... and manuwai

BoltsPride
03-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Why is no on happy about this? Shea's an improvement on Peele and improvevement is the key to success... I'm happy about the signing. :Beer:
How do you know Shea is an improvement over Peele ?, If you have some facts, please post them. As far as I know Shea is just filling a void because Peele wants more playing time at TE, so he is testing FA. Shea will probably do okay as a back up TE, but I do not see him doing much more than that except maybe on special teams.

TJ21
03-18-2006, 12:58 PM
How do you know Shea is an improvement over Peele ?, If you have some facts, please post them. As far as I know Shea is just filling a void because Peele wants more playing time at TE, so he is testing FA. Shea will probably do okay as a back up TE, but I do not see him doing much more than that except maybe on special teams.
Shea's an average starting TE. Peele is an above-average backup TE.

If you put them both as Backup, Shea has more TD's. :)

KingGL
03-18-2006, 04:45 PM
I agree he is probably better then Peele. I just think in a draft that is deep at TE we could get a real nice one in the fifth that may have more potential the Shea. I really I want a OL anyone just to add depth. At least it is one less need in the draft and one more pick we can use for OL...;)

Remember13and1?
03-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Atleast AJ Smith is being smart, and picking using FA picks on the positions where you need veterens and not drafted rookies.

Chargeroo
03-18-2006, 06:20 PM
I agree he is probably better then Peele. I just think in a draft that is deep at TE we could get a real nice one in the fifth that may have more potential the Shea. I really I want a OL anyone just to add depth. At least it is one less need in the draft and one more pick we can use for OL...;)
I think Shea is better known for his blocking. That will be important next year. The TE's in this draft are better known for the receiving part of the TE job. That's probably the reason they did this.

Boltbaby
03-18-2006, 06:59 PM

I think it's great. The scouting on him seems to indicate that he will come up with anything he can get a hand on, which could really help out PR when the blitz is coming. He could really help us when they have double coverage on Gates.

Big Bolt Dawg
03-20-2006, 01:44 PM
There's no doubt Shea has many qualities as decent tightend, but doesn't it concern anyone that there should be more urgency in siging players in areas that are most needed such as are secondary and our O-line? I know free agency isn't over and the draft is yet to come, but hey, I feel as if A.J. is passing on some great players out there in the market.

Sanitation Man
03-20-2006, 03:08 PM
There's no doubt Shea has many qualities as decent tightend, but doesn't it concern anyone that there should be more urgency in siging players in areas that are most needed such as are secondary and our O-line? I know free agency isn't over and the draft is yet to come, but hey, I feel as if A.J. is passing on some great players out there in the market.

I don't think he's passing on players, per se. I feel if he can fill a "secondary" need first, then why not? It's not like there's isn't any money to spend. Besides, AJ has not let us down yet. :p

His blocking and fullback "fill in" will be a great asset to the team.

Fouts2Chandler
03-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Our franchise is built already. We're just looking to adds the last few pieces now :P

LOL! Optimistic.

LABoltsFan
03-20-2006, 09:11 PM
our team will benefit from his blocking abilities.
Hopefully LT will benefit also!

ChargerDawg
03-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Shea split time last year with Steve Heiden. The return of KW2 made him expendible. There is another promising player, Paul Irons, that will probably be the 3rd TE for the Browns.

Shea is an improvement over Peele.

I have watched enough cleveland/san diego games to know that much for sure.

Charger Fans should be glad he was signed.

LT LT LT
03-21-2006, 03:06 AM
Just so you all know I like Chargerdawg he is tight and he knows his football. I think the Shea deal is going to be good to but we need to add that big blocking type TE as well.

Dojo
03-21-2006, 12:13 PM
WHoopity dooooooooooo.......Guess AJ is willing to look outside the 4 choices this guy though I have no interest in whether we sign him or not I dont care....
Here's me 3 years ago:

"Why are we keeping 4 tight ends? Just cut the 4th TE and sign another QB because we only have 2 on our roster. Josh Norman is the man, yeah, a future star!"

we all know how that ended up. Who knows, Shea may be a great addition to our O. The Chargers see something in him or they wouldn't have signed him. I see him as an upgrade over Peele anyways.