PDA

View Full Version : SD interested in Arrington?

Pages : [1] 2

mwooten
03-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Adam Shefter on NFL Total Access reported that the Dolphins are pursuing either Arrington or Julian Peterson, but he also said that the Chargers have been showing interest in him!

Mallrat83
03-16-2006, 11:13 PM
How are you sure they weren't talking about Peterson?

TradeLT4DBs
03-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Adam Shefter on NFL Total Access reported that the Dolphins are pursuing either Arrington or Julian Peterson, but he also said that the Chargers have been showing interest in him!

Yay! Another linebacker! Maybe arrington can shore up our offensive line, or be our right corner and get us more picks. :rolleyes:

boltskickass21
03-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Arrington wants to stay in the NFC East, i dont see him out west. plus, i think NYG is close to inking him.

robbass
03-16-2006, 11:26 PM
First of all why talk about something that never happens with this organization. We havent signed anyone big ever, with the exception of some bad moves (Boston and Wiley, except for his 1 good year). We signed Leander Jordan and Jue. These guys arent starter material and we resigned Jerry Wilson last year. Lol, I know he was cut this year, but shouldnt that have happened long ago.WE WILL NEVER SPEND MONEY ON A MARQUE FREE AGENT. LOL, we wouldnt even take a 1 year gamble on a leader, someone who has proved himself over the last couple of years. You show respect for someone like that. STOP GETTING FANS HOPES UP PLZ. We signed another back up safety this year and maybe we'll sign some more journey man. Lol, thats what we have to look foward to. I know I sound negative but it is reality with this organization.

ryry2104
03-16-2006, 11:30 PM
First of all why talk about something that never happens with this organization. We havent signed anyone big ever, with the exception of some bad moves (Boston and Wiley, except for his 1 good year). We signed Leander Jordan and Jue. These guys arent starter material and we resigned Jerry Wilson last year. Lol, I know he was cut this year, but shouldnt that have happened long ago.WE WILL NEVER SPEND MONEY ON A MARQUE FREE AGENT. LOL, we wouldnt even take a 1 year gamble on a leader, someone who has proved himself over the last couple of years. You show respect for someone like that. STOP GETTING FANS HOPES UP PLZ. We signed another back up safety this year and maybe we'll sign some more journey man. Lol, thats what we have to look foward to. I know I sound negative but it is reality with this organization.

donnie edwards, lorenzo neal, randal godfrey, mike goff, steve foley

that is just last couple years

smrtalec33
03-16-2006, 11:31 PM
McCardell was traded for, not signed as a FA.

Edwards is the closest to a marquee FA signing. Neal was a big name, but cmon, he's a FB. No one particularly wanted Steve Foley either, he certainly wasn't a marquee signing.

ryry2104
03-16-2006, 11:32 PM
ya but he was practicly a RFA becuz he wasnt rlly playing he was holding out

mwooten
03-16-2006, 11:33 PM
This is a damn forum, that is why I am talking about it. Also, it is news that was reported about "OUR" team that not everybody saw. I'm sorry you have such hard feelings for a team that never brought in any players that have played great for us like Stan Humphries, Tony Martin, Lo Neal, Donnie Edwards, Steve Foley or Keenan McCardell. Marcellus Wiley had like 11 sacks his 1st season in SD, and Boston was a pro bowl player before he came to SD. Why don't you stop your whining.

Is it just me, or are there so many new posters lately here that just whine about everything???

mwooten
03-16-2006, 11:36 PM
How are you sure they weren't talking about Peterson?
Becasue he said Arrington.

lowbedr
03-16-2006, 11:42 PM
This is a damn forum, that is why I am talking about it. Also, it is news that was reported about "OUR" team that not everybody saw. I'm sorry you have such hard feelings for a team that never brought in any players that have played great for us like Stan Humphries, Tony Martin, Lo Neal, Donnie Edwards, Steve Foley or Keenan McCardell. Marcellus Wiley had like 11 sacks his 1st season in SD, and Boston was a pro bowl player before he came to SD. Why don't you stop your whining.

Is it just me, or are there so many new posters lately here that just whine about everything???

We need 2 put up a sign, "Sorry we dont speak Whinese".

robbass
03-16-2006, 11:43 PM
You can live in fantasy land if you want but your hopes of landing someone like Arrington would only happen in your dreams. I would love to have a linebacker like that but this front office will pinch pennies from a baby. IE, A couple of years ago on mghty 1090 it was reported that John Lynch wanted to play for his home town. He was willing to play for less money here, 2 mil a year. As San Diego is known for we opted to resign a old backup caliber player(Jerry Wilson) for 1 mil a year. We saved 1 mil a year and remember all the times he got burned. Why should someone like a John Lynch have to take a pay cut anyway to play for the Chargers, Why should the Chargers get players for cheaper than the going rate? You see the results of players like Leander Jordan and Wilson they hurt the team. Look at how well a free agent like Lynch has done for his team.

06champions
03-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Mcree isn't a back up safetey. He had some good games for Car and I remember he picked off ***** boy eli twice.

foty89
03-17-2006, 12:01 AM
You can live in fantasy land if you want but your hopes of landing someone like Arrington would only happen in your dreams. I would love to have a linebacker like that but this front office will pinch pennies from a baby. IE, A couple of years ago on mghty 1090 it was reported that John Lynch wanted to play for his home town. He was willing to play for less money here, 2 mil a year. As San Diego is known for we opted to resign a old backup caliber player(Jerry Wilson) for 1 mil a year. We saved 1 mil a year and remember all the times he got burned. Why should someone like a John Lynch have to take a pay cut anyway to play for the Chargers, Why should the Chargers get players for cheaper than the going rate? You see the results of players like Leander Jordan and Wilson they hurt the team. Look at how well a free agent like Lynch has done for his team.

First of all, this is not an area of need for us. Second, he is a head case who thinks he is the best NFL player ever, and third, he is not what you would call a character guy.

The Chargers spend money when it is deserved and helps the team, this is not one of those times.

Go Bolts!
:Bolt: :Bolt: :Bolt:

mattmc223
03-17-2006, 12:01 AM

LOL dude, be a Charger fan and stop whining.

mattmc223
03-17-2006, 12:05 AM
First of all, this is not an area of need for us. Second, he is a head case who thinks he is the best NFL player ever, and third, he is not what you would call a character guy.

The Chargers spend money when it is deserved and helps the team, this is not one of those times.

Go Bolts!

First, Godfrey is entering his last year and Edwards and Foley are not getting any younger. Second, Arrington is a pretty humble guy if you have seen him interviewed. He cares more about Merriman's success on the field than his own. That being said, you don't see him complaining for more money or anything...he just wants to play. Third, he is just as much of a character type of guy as anyone else. All he said was that the Redskins organization did not support him through his injuries, he did not criticize any teammates, or coaches, he just wanted support from his team. Arrington would be a fine fit here and would help the team.

mattmc223
03-17-2006, 12:07 AM

Who's up for joining the Redskin's bandwagon because they sign quality, big-name free agents every year and look where they have been.

ChargerCohen
03-17-2006, 12:30 AM

Go Bolts!

Foley is getting older, and Godfrey is done in a year. Lavar is

A; in his prime.
B; an absolute athletic freak, multiple pro bowler
C; has a lot of connections to the chargers, he loves marty, and his little bro Shawne.

I'd say we have a damn good chance of signing him, if the FO has any desire to at all. It would turn our LB core into the best in the league by far.

hoopdreams
03-17-2006, 12:50 AM
I would like to see us get him. He is a stud and is everywhere on D. I'd love to have him on the right and Merriman on the left. Teams wouldn't know which side to fear more. Besides, those two guys compete eith each other in workouts and would push each other to the limit.

I wonder if Foley could move to ILB. I think he is a smart guy and could do well there. That would be a great combo.

Yes, I know it's not an area we need, but if we have a chance to pick up an athlete like Arrington, we should do it. Arrington and Merriman are buddies and Arrington has played for Schottenheimer before and has said that he would like to play for his former coach. He is also just 27 years old so he's got plenty left in the tank.

hoopdreams
03-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Who's up for joining the Redskin's bandwagon because they sign quality, big-name free agents every year and look where they have been.

You mean the playoffs? Something we missed last year.

I think I may have missed the point of your post. I like the skins and I think they will be good next year.

foty89
03-17-2006, 02:58 AM
So basically, you guys that are in favor of this, are saying a few things.

First, that we have no depth at linebacker, an area of our team widely regarded as one of the best and deepest groups of linebackers in the league. So, none of the guys we have coming up are going to be any good?

Second, he is a good character guy. OK, why did he get benched last year for refusing to do things that he was told? Why is he considered to be a freelancer who does not follow coaching?

I will admit that he has shown great ability in the past, but he has be injuried too and is not the most coachable guy in the league. I don't think he is interested in a reasonable deal here, and I think he wants to stay in the NFC east.

Go Bolts!

robbass
03-17-2006, 03:05 AM
Whats a reasonable deal. Im sick of charger fans thinking we should get players for cheaper than the going rate. Why would a player want to come in and play for less than they can get somewhere else. A contract in the NFL is only good for one year so I dont blame players taking the best offer, its a business. We are WELL under the cap, I think we can afford him but I know it'll never happen . Besides, the only way a player like Arrington plays for less than hes worth is if theres a chance at winning the big one. That all went down the drain for at least 2 to 3 years with Drew leaving.

foty89
03-17-2006, 03:32 AM
Whats a reasonable deal. Im sick of charger fans thinking we should get players for cheaper than the going rate. Why would a player want to come in and play for less than they can get somewhere else. A contract in the NFL is only good for one year so I dont blame players taking the best offer, its a business. We are WELL under the cap, I think we can afford him but I know it'll never happen . Besides, the only way a player like Arrington plays for less than hes worth is if theres a chance at winning the big one. That all went down the drain for at least 2 to 3 years with Drew leaving.

You are such a positive Chargers fan, at least I think you are a Chargers fan, or at least you should be since you are posting on a Chargers board. But boy, it is pretty hard to tell from your posts.

Do you like anything the Chargers do? Are you happy when they win?

Go Bolts!

foty89
03-17-2006, 03:34 AM
After reading the UT thread on the matter, I have warmed a bit towards the idea, though I an not sold on it. I think we need to address other areas much more, especially the O-line.

However, as a Chargers fan, it this happens, I will be happy and be happy to cheer for him.

I trust in what AJ, Marty and our front office do.

Go Bolts!

Natedawg01
03-17-2006, 03:38 AM
He said "SD is showing interest as well" or something along those lines. Showing interest doesn't mean that we'll get him, just that we're looking at him.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing him here. Merriman/Foley/Arrington/Phillips would give us the best OLB corps in the league and a lot of depth. I'm not saying that we *need* to get him, but he would be an upgrade, and a damn scarry one at that.

I don't expect to see him signed, he wants more money than I think AJ is going to offer, but you really never know, and it would allow AJ to focus on o-line, TE depth, a nickle back, and not worry about LB depth in the draft.

phillychargerfan
03-17-2006, 06:49 AM

It's not only here, I mainly post in the UT, and it is the same thing over there!! Almost all of the "newbies" are whining and crying about something. It actual gets depressing to see and read it.

RAWDOGG
03-17-2006, 07:14 AM

I think Merriman and Arrington are good friends, would be a great addition at a good price

TCUFAN5
03-17-2006, 07:17 AM
how much does LaVar want? has anyone heard anything? i mean we could sign him for what McCree got he might bite..you never know

Totally Bolted
03-17-2006, 07:38 AM

ROFLOL .....

mattmc223
03-17-2006, 07:58 AM
You mean the playoffs? Something we missed last year.

I think I may have missed the point of your post. I like the skins and I think they will be good next year.

My point is that someone was whining about our lack of signings so they should just follow a team like the Skins or the Raiders who year after year sign big name guys and yet year after year fall short. I don't mind the Redskins either but look how much they overpaid their free agents...

If you don't like our offseason decision plans maybe its time to find a new team.

Sorry for any confusion.

Podium
03-17-2006, 08:49 AM
how much does LaVar want? has anyone heard anything? i mean we could sign him for what McCree got he might bite..you never know

I heard a report a couple days ago by John Clayton that said he was looking for a double-digit signing bonus.

Big B.
03-17-2006, 10:30 AM
It looks as if A.J. is going to bring in one player via free agency again. I can see him signing a Q.B. or two but thats it. This means once again players will be brought in VIA the draft. But you have to admit A.J. has done a good job drafting players. Merriman, Castillo, Kaeding, Turner, Hardwick, Olivea, and Rivers. Every one of these players is proven except Rivers. But look at the Q.B. class that year. Big Ben and Eli are both proving to be great Q.B.'s. Rivers undoubtedly had the best resume of the three. Just think. This year he has a chance to just relax and go out there and show us he can run this team. Who knows who A.J. has his eyes on in the draft. I hope it is a good wide out for Rivers. I would love to see Rivers have his own Marvin Harrison type player. But just by the track record A.J. has with the draft you know that the players that he choses are all going to contribute one way oor another.

Chargeroo
03-17-2006, 10:58 AM
We could cut 3.2 mil. by cutting Donnie. Sign Arrington and he'd make his tackles before the first down was made instead of after. :)

I agree about all the newbies that have joined just the gripe about losing Brees and whatever else they can think up to whine about. But, it is a forum and that's part of a forum - some say yea, and some say nay.

Dago81Sd
03-17-2006, 11:03 AM
I heard a report a couple days ago by John Clayton that said he was looking for a double-digit signing bonus.

Well, thats not going to happen. Even though signing Arrington would be a HUGE addition inside and would make a pretty fearful LB corps with Merriman/Godfrey/Arrington/Foley with Igor/Jmaul/Castillo up front. God would I love to see that scheme. :Beer:

Dago81Sd
03-17-2006, 11:05 AM
We could cut 3.2 mil. by cutting Donnie. Sign Arrington and he'd make his tackles before the first down was made instead of after. :)

I agree about all the newbies that have joined just the gripe about losing Brees and whatever else they can think up to whine about. But, it is a forum and that's part of a forum - some say yea, and some say nay.

ditto. :rolleyes:

El Relámpago
03-17-2006, 11:50 AM

Best post in this thread so far!!!

My goodness. Stop crying about the FA signings. It's not like we are going to will it to AJ & he wil magically say: "Sure, I'll sign fill-in-the-blank-expensive-FA-player." "Whatever makes the fans happy!" :rolleyes:

bolts4ever21
03-17-2006, 12:11 PM
I would love to see Arrington come here. Just the fire this guy has added to the fire already here. It would be blazing... okay, enough with the heat analogy.

But yes, whenever you can get a guy like this, you should. We all know it isn't a need signing, but isn't just nice to finally see the Chargers are looking at someone, anyone... well at least that the fans can see. Because we also know AJ is tight lipped about the FO plans.

iodude122
03-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Unless I missed something we are just monitoring the situation. I haven't read anywhere that he is coming for a visit. Am I wrong?

bolts4ever21
03-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Unless I missed something we are just monitoring the situation. I haven't read anywhere that he is coming for a visit. Am I wrong?

See as staving, craving, wanting, obsessed fans that we all are. Anything can set us into dreamland. That's why we are all here... EVERYDAY!!!

Seau55
03-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Last i heard he wanted a 15mil signing bonus and 5 mil per

bolts4ever21
03-17-2006, 12:24 PM

Is that really you JR??? What about you, what would you come back and play for??? Come back to us JR!!!

Podium
03-17-2006, 12:24 PM

All I heard was "double digit signing bonus".

15M signing bonus and an average of 5 per?

hmm.

say if it's a 4 year deal, then it's 4years/20Million I guess.

Cap hit would be around 4 for the first season.

iodude122
03-17-2006, 12:27 PM
This is all that I have read
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Chargers | Team keeping an eye on Arrington
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:05:13 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the San Diego Chargers are monitoring where free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) visits on an almost daily basis. It is possible the team is in the market to sign him.

I have no idea what this means....if anything!!

LTisMyHero
03-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Why would you cut Edwards?

If anything he could start and Godfrey could switch off with him.

On sure passing downs Merriman is big enough to move to a DE and arrington could line up next to him.

No doubt the possibilites would be great. IF it happens.

Thunderstruck
03-17-2006, 12:31 PM
This is all that I have read
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Chargers | Team keeping an eye on Arrington
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:05:13 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the San Diego Chargers are monitoring where free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) visits on an almost daily basis. It is possible the team is in the market to sign him.

I have no idea what this means....if anything!!

Perhaps AJ wants to allow other teams to set Arrington's value.

I doubt we would sign him to a huge deal like the $15 million guaranteed number mentioned. AJ is probably waiting to swoop if the market yields a lower value.

If linebacker was a position of need for us perhaps AJ would be willing to take the big gamble, but considering we're so deep at linebacker, I just don't see AJ making Lavar that big of a priority.

Chargeroo
03-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Why would you cut Edwards?

If anything he could start and Godfrey could switch off with him.
. Because he makes very few tackles at or behind the los and his salary is $3.2 mil.

FoutstoJJ
03-17-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm still mystified as to our team's lack of movement on trying to acquire more help in the secondary and offensive line. Milloy would of been a great addition, so would of Will Demps, both are gone. McCree was a step in the right direction, but we need more. Where is another corner to add depth and competition, AJ?
Where are the moves on the OL? The draft will not patch the holes this line has...and it will take more than Winston Justice in the first, and Jack Henry's coaching. We need a legitimate force at both guard and tackle....yet we've done little.
Not sure, I get what this front office is doing by remaining so passive in this FA market. It's not like we are backed up against the cap!

bolts4ever21
03-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Perhaps AJ wants to allow other teams to set Arrington's value.

No team sets the bar for AJ. He already has a "value" for every player on the roster and in the NFL. That's how good he is.

foty89
03-17-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm still mystified as to our team's lack of movement on trying to acquire more help in the secondary and offensive line. Milloy would of been a great addition, so would of Will Demps, both are gone. McCree was a step in the right direction, but we need more. Where is another corner to add depth and competition, AJ?
Where are the moves on the OL? The draft will not patch the holes this line has...and it will take more than Winston Justice in the first, and Jack Henry's coaching. We need a legitimate force at both guard and tackle....yet we've done little.
Not sure, I get what this front office is doing by remaining so passive in this FA market. It's not like we are backed up against the cap!

The draft is deep in the areas that we need, that is why AJ is not jumping on over priced, short term solutions. AJ builds the team through the draft.

The extra cap space is going to be used to lock up our quality players here and now. That with the addition of good draft picks and select FA's, is how you build a team that endures.

Go Bolts!

TheIceCreamMan
03-17-2006, 12:45 PM
I wuld love Arrington to be on the chargers...

HeadTrip
03-17-2006, 12:45 PM
No team sets the bar for AJ. He already has a "value" for every player on the roster and in the NFL. That's how good he is.
That's not true, AJ slots his draft picks which is the ultimate way of letting other teams decide a players value.

Thunderstruck
03-17-2006, 12:50 PM

In that case, why would the Chargers be "monitoring" Arrington? If AJ wants him, he should make an offer and try to bring him in.

The only reason I can think of to "montor" the negotiations is to make an eventual offer based on what other teams are offering (or, if those teams are offering more than you're willing to pay, make no offer at all.)

drangus
03-17-2006, 12:56 PM

remaining passive in FA and drafting well is our M.O.

if you pay attention to the guys that AJ has been drafting--they are coming in with the type of players that CAN contribute right away as rookies--furthermore I don't think they go after a winston justice who is too immature and in all likelyhood will be gone by pick 19---I see AJ playing the board a little trading down and picking up a second 2 or 3 then making sure he gets the chad clifton clone (andrew whitworth) then in the second round he can focus on secondary (ko simpson) and in the third he will go after the best guard or tackle available (jeremy trueblood)---so just chill till the next episode

SuperMatt
03-17-2006, 01:17 PM

Is this a joke? Donnie may not bring the wood, but he is a fantastic ILB and brings so much to the defense. I don't remember watching Donnie get bowled over. He's a very sure tackler and VERY good at dropping back in coverage. He's a leader on the defense and though he underperformed a bit last year, he was battling an injury. He will come back strong this year and return to the 2004 form when he was snubbed by the Pro-Bowl voters.

If we sign Arrington, I see him taking the place of Godfrey, not Donnie.

Podium
03-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Is this a joke? Donnie may not bring the wood, but he is a fantastic ILB and brings so much to the defense. I don't remember watching Donnie get bowled over. He's a very sure tackler and VERY good at dropping back in coverage. He's a leader on the defense and though he underperformed a bit last year, he was battling an injury. He will come back strong this year and return to the 2004 form when he was snubbed by the Pro-Bowl voters.

If we sign Arrington, I see him taking the place of Godfrey, not Donnie.

2004-yes
2005-no

His coverage skills were lacking, and when he made tackles, he was grabbing ankles and allowing an extra 4 yards. Look at the 4th quarter of the PIT game for an example. Yeah, it's Bettis, but that was Bettis' first game of the season. Bettis killed us on that drive, and it seemed like they were running right at Edwards.

LTisMyHero
03-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Uh, it's Jerome Bettis.

The entire Bengals team couldn't take him down.

Why would Donnie Edwards be able to?

Podium
03-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Uh, it's Jerome Bettis.

Because it was Bettis' first game back from that injury, and if he's a "pro-bowl" LB then he should be able to. Donnie isn't that good against the run. Teams tend to run right at him because of it.

Dojo
03-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Give Edwards another year because he was banged up last year. He has to reprove himself.

I think the reason why we're waiting on LaVar is to give him time to lower his asking price. Although, 4 mil isn't bad if Donnie is making 3.2. I love the idea of playing Lights out at DE with LaVar over him.

TheIceCreamMan
03-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Get Lavar and nobody will get past the front 7

bolts4ever21
03-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Get Lavar and nobody will get past the front 7

Isn't that the case now? Oh, you mean moreso...

LTisMyHero
03-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Well, I just disagree.

Just because he is a "pro bowl" LB doesn't mean he is superman.

I don't think many people in the NFL can take Bettis down, head on, alone.

bolts4ever21
03-17-2006, 01:48 PM
I like Edwards.. he isn't that run stuffer you want. He is more of a cover linebacker.

And yes, not too many men, can take down the Bus head on. You know, he can get 3 td on 5 yards.

Waterski
03-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Instead of cutting Edwards, why not trade him for a 3rd round draft pick or a cb?

SuperMatt
03-17-2006, 01:56 PM
2004-yes
2005-no

His coverage skills were lacking, and when he made tackles, he was grabbing ankles and allowing an extra 4 yards. Look at the 4th quarter of the PIT game for an example. Yeah, it's Bettis, but that was Bettis' first game of the season. Bettis killed us on that drive, and it seemed like they were running right at Edwards.

Bettis has ALWAYS run us over. We have had trouble with the big bruising backs for awhile. I agree that Donnie had a down year last year, but if he's such a liability against the run, why have we had such a staunch run defense the past two seasons?

2004 was a Donnie year, he routinely came up with clutch plays when we needed them. Like that pick against TB when they were driving late in the game. He's an asset to the team and well worth the 3.2 mil we'd "save" by cutting him.

That said, if he doesn't improve and show that last year was just a result of injury -- I'd be open to rethink his value. At this point, however, Donnie is a crucial part to our defense.

Dojo
03-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Well, I just disagree.

Just because he is a "pro bowl" LB doesn't mean he is superman.

I don't think many people in the NFL can take Bettis down, head on, alone.
I disagree! Have you ever seen the LaVar leap? :Beer:

SuperMatt
03-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Instead of cutting Edwards, why not trade him for a 3rd round draft pick or a cb?

Because you probably won't get the production out of a 3rd round pick or a CB (that you could get in a trade, straight up) that you would out of a smart, fast, veteran LB who is a tackle machine.

It drive me nuts how people try to run guys out of town just because there's nothing else to complain about.

Now that the Brees drama is over and people are starting to realize that Jammer is solid and improving, someone's gotta take the abuse. If you have a legitimate gripe about someone's play, fine -- but cutting him to save money when you're 20 mil under the cap, or making up some fantasy trade where we steal a great player for a guy who's coming off a down year where he was injured is silly.

:59: is a leader on and off the field, he's very savvy and can definitely still hold the inside down. The main argument against him is that he can't stuff the run. News flash: The Chargers are VERY good against the run. Donnie's been a part of that. When your main issue on defense is defending the pass, you don't start lopping off your cover guys to save money you don't need.

Dojo
03-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Because you probably won't get the production out of a 3rd round pick or a CB (that you could get in a trade, straight up) that you would out of a smart, fast, veteran LB who is a tackle machine.

It drive me nuts how people try to run guys out of town just because there's nothing else to complain about.

Now that the Brees drama is over and people are starting to realize that Jammer is solid and improving, someone's gotta take the abuse. If you have a legitimate gripe about someone's play, fine -- but cutting him to save money when you're 20 mil under the cap, or making up some fantasy trade where we steal a great player for a guy who's coming off a down year where he was injured is silly.

:59: is a leader on and off the field, he's very savvy and can definitely still hold the inside down. The main argument against him is that he can't stuff the run. News flash: The Chargers are VERY good against the run. Donnie's been a part of that. When your main issue on defense is defending the pass, you don't start lopping off your cover guys to save money you don't need.
I couldn't agree more! One thing is imagine if we add LaVar to the mix! Our coverage skills will improve because we have all LB's with the ability of rushing the passer and you won't know where he's coming from giving the qb less time to throw

hoopdreams
03-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Uh, it's Jerome Bettis.

Good call. Donnie is the man. Jerome Bettis is just a freak of Nature. No one should be that big and still be that fast. He get's so much moentumm going that he'll get 4 yards before you can get enough guys on top of him to stop him.

iodude122
03-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Who cares!!! Bettis has retired last I checked!!!

Good News for us.

robbass
03-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Getting rid on Donnie Lol. Why the hell would we do that. Well I guess u might as well strip our leader on defense, u might save a few bucks then we can be 27 mil under the cap. Its unbelievable that people would cut him to sign Arrington. WHy wouldnt u just sign Arrington and keep Donnie. We dont have cap issues and Goddfrey is retiring soon. We need all the help we can get.

foty89
03-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Getting rid on Donnie Lol. Why the hell would we do that. Well I guess u might as well strip our leader on defense, u might save a few bucks then we can be 27 mil under the cap. Its unbelievable that people would cut him to sign Arrington. WHy wouldnt u just sign Arrington and keep Donnie. We dont have cap issues and Goddfrey is retiring soon. We need all the help we can get.

You know, I am starting to associate the second half of your name with a different first half.

I was initially opposed to the whole idea of getting LaVar, but then as I read more, I could see the logic of it, even if I was not completely sold on the idea.

I was also totally opposed to letting Donnie go if we did. But after reading more about it, I can see the logic there too, though again, still not completely sold on it.

It is a matter at looking at the team as a whole and how best the team could be served as a whole. One most read the different points of view and consider them equally to form and informed opinion.

Go Bolts!

Laff7
03-17-2006, 04:16 PM
LaVar would be a great addition to are LB core and for the people who are saying that his signing would mean the end of Donnie that's just ridiculous imagine having Foley, Edwards, Arrington, and Merriman there.

56lightsout56
03-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Besides, Arrington's agents are the Poston's brothers who have overpriced the value of their FA and as such havent got even close to any offers. So LaVar has some thinking to do on what his actual value is. especially after waving a $4.4 million roster bonus. that was a good move.

Chargeroo
03-17-2006, 04:39 PM
I love having a bunch of 20 year old kids telling me how good Donnie is. Get out the tapes and take a look at where Donnie is getting his tackles! In the chiefs game for instance, he had 16 tackles. Man, that looks good. But look at them one by one and you'll discover that only one of those sixteen tackles happened before the Chiefs had gained five yards. - One! Don't take my word for it - look at the tape. Also, did you not notice how many passes were completed against our defense on the short, over the middle passes? Those are the passes that Donnie should be braking up and he was breaking up in 2004. Donnie lost a step in 2005. That's why I said we should replace him with Arrington. I know Arrington has played OLB up until now - but he has the talent to play either in or out. (In fact, Donnie used to play OLB so that argument doesn't wash). If I could trade Donnie and his 3.2 salary for Arrington and his 4.4 salary, I'd do it in a New York minute.

TheIceCreamMan
03-17-2006, 04:41 PM
haha ... goo Chargerooo never thought i wuld agrree with u on this one... wut a turn of events... lets get Lavar ehhh? !!!!

Tycebrew
03-17-2006, 04:42 PM
LaVar would be a great addition to are LB core and for the people who are saying that his signing would mean the end of Donnie that's just ridiculous imagine having Foley, Edwards, Arrington, and Merriman there.

Imagine having Foley (Phillips), Arrington, Godfrey and Merriman. Donnie lost steps last year.

SuperMatt
03-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I love having a bunch of 20 year old kids telling me how good Donnie is. Get out the tapes and take a look at where Donnie is getting his tackles! In the chiefs game for instance, he had 16 tackles. Man, that looks good. But look at them one by one and you'll discover that only one of those sixteen tackles happened before the Chiefs had gained five yards. - One! Don't take my word for it - look at the tape. Also, did you not notice how many passes were completed against our defense on the short, over the middle passes? Those are the passes that Donnie should be braking up and he was breaking up in 2004. Donnie lost a step in 2005. That's why I said we should replace him with Arrington. I know Arrington has played OLB up until now - but he has the talent to play either in or out. (In fact, Donnie used to play OLB so that argument doesn't wash). If I could trade Donnie and his 3.2 salary for Arrington and his 4.4 salary, I'd do it in a New York minute.

You mean the Chiefs game against Larry Johnson and one of the best offensive lines in the NFL? Has anyone ever stopped LJ with the inital hit? Cutting Donnie to save 3.2 mil when you're 20 under the cap would be grounds for immediate firing. LT had a poor finish to the season last year, and in the game against Philly he didn't even break 10 yards rushing. Should we cut him and sign Antowain Smith? I bet we could save at least 6 mil on that move.

I like Arrington as a player and wouldn't mind seeing him in Bolts, but if he's coming here, he'll be playing in Godfrey's spot, Donnie is far too valuable to our defense.

Thunderstruck
03-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Bring in Arrington and let all the players compete for a position. Who knows...maybe we end up with Arrington and Merriman as the starting OLBs and Foley / Edwards inside, or some other wierd combination. (Yes, I know Foley was already misused as an ILB in Cincy....it was just an example.)

JoeMcRugby
03-17-2006, 05:08 PM
You mean the Chiefs game against Larry Johnson and one of the best offensive lines in the NFL? Has anyone ever stopped LJ with the inital hit? Cutting Donnie to save 3.2 mil when you're 20 under the cap would be grounds for immediate firing. LT had a poor finish to the season last year, and in the game against Philly he didn't even break 10 yards rushing. Should we cut him and sign Antowain Smith? I bet we could save at least 6 mil on that move.

I like Arrington as a player and wouldn't mind seeing him in Bolts, but if he's coming here, he'll be playing in Godfrey's spot, Donnie is far too valuable to our defense.

Matt, Donnie wasn't getting blocked in the Chiefs game. He was the unblocked defensive player who was left to the RB to make him miss.

He was whiffing left and right and getting run over all game long during his "brilliant" 18 tackle game in which those tackles resulted in more than 100 yards gained on those plays. I watched the "short cuts" version of that game yesterday and it was by far the worst game I ever have seen Donnie play. Just goes to show how stats can lie when you watch and analyze the game in detail.

If Donnie plays like he played in 2004 over the next four months, he's an asset to the Chargers.

If Donnie plays like he played in 2005, he's dead weight and will be cut before the season opens.

Here's to hoping that the knee injury that Donnie played with in 2005 was the reason for his precipitous drop from his prior playing form. :59: :Bolt:

TBOLTZCALI
03-17-2006, 05:13 PM

Did I miss something here? Tell me where they have been and Ill continue to answer this post. The skins havent been anywhere. Yeah they spend money on FA's but that doesnt even help them. Last time I checked, they havent won any super bowls of late.

Tomlinson21
03-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Donnie had an off year - if there ever was one for Donnie in his whole career for that matter...I always thought of him as the overachiever that never made the Pro Bowl (made it to the 04 PB, though!) but 05 was horrendous. I'm not supporting to bring Lavar one bit, because we have a player named Wilhelm who is more than NFL ready to fill in that role if Edwards starts to slip early in 06.

Edwards will bounce back from this off year. What can I say, he is in fact from around my neck of the woods so you gotta support that home grown talent. :)

TBOLTZCALI
03-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Imagine having Foley (Phillips), Arrington, Godfrey and Merriman. Donnie lost steps last year.

Regardless, we would still look good.

hoopdreams
03-17-2006, 05:21 PM
I like Arrington because he hits hard. He is super fast and a big guy. Our linebackers are starting to age and his addition would make us the deepest team at linebacker by far. We need a guy on the outside that is a little more versatile than just a pass rusher. Arrington picks passes, forces fumbles, and blitzes like a mad man. He is an upgrade to almost any team that is smart enough to get him.

Teams would be forced to try to run up the middle and Williams will be waiting.

bolts4ever21
03-17-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm not supporting to bring Lavar one bit, because we have a player named Wilhelm who is more than NFL ready to fill in that role if Edwards starts to slip early in 06.

You are comparing Wilhelm to Arrington... and think Wilhelm is more ready???

First off, he has to sign the contract offer before he can attempt to do that. And I believe, Arrington has a few more plays in the NFL than Wilheim

Comment:
He is a short area run down player that does not show a lot of quickness, speed, or burst in his play. He struggles to match-up in coverage due to his lack of foot speed. Shows good feel in zone, but he doesn't burst quickly to the ball. He has not shown a lot of flair as a pass rusher. He has been an average special teams player in terms of his overall production. He is a backup player that is just a guy.

Ouch thats from Scouts Inc. That's your NFL replacement for Edwards???

ze pekeño
03-17-2006, 05:37 PM

First off, he has to sign the contract offer before he can attempt to do that. And I believe, Arrington has a few more plays in the NFL than Wilheim

Comment:
He is a short area run down player that does not show a lot of quickness, speed, or burst in his play. He struggles to match-up in coverage due to his lack of foot speed. Shows good feel in zone, but he doesn't burst quickly to the ball. He has not shown a lot of flair as a pass rusher. He has been an average special teams player in terms of his overall production. He is a backup player that is just a guy.

good post, well said... bring LAVAR AJ!!!

knowsthebolt
03-17-2006, 05:50 PM
This may be old news but, Philly Billy just reported that the Chargers are monitoring the Arrington situation, and said that Arrington is looking for $15 million guaranteed, if thats true there's no way he's coming here.

TBOLTZCALI
03-17-2006, 05:56 PM

Comment:

Sounds like an AJ type guy, unless he costs too much!!!

HeadTrip
03-17-2006, 06:20 PM
This may be old news but, Philly Billy just reported that the Chargers are monitoring the Arrington situation, and said that Arrington is looking for $15 million guaranteed, if thats true there's no way he's coming here.

He won't be getting that kind money from anyone, so I wouldn't worry about it. His price will come down and hopefully it will be enough for AJ to bring him to the Chargers.

foty89
03-17-2006, 06:34 PM

We will not be $20 million under the cap if we sign LaVar, we won't be $20 under the cap if we draft anyone and we won't be $20 under the cap if we lock up some of our players.

This is what people don't seem to understand and why there is logic to getting rid of Donnie IF LaVar is signed.

Nobody is suggesting we get rid of him if we DON'T sign LaVar.

Go Bolts!

Chargeroo
03-17-2006, 06:35 PM
I'll back down a little about Donnie. It could be that his knee was the problem last year so I guess Thunderstruck has the best idea. Sign Arrington and let all of them compete. If Edwards is better than the others, fine - but if his problems last year were because of age catching up - save the 3.2 mil. I do like Arrington though, he's a Merriman type player.

laschwa
03-17-2006, 07:43 PM
if we can get him with out mortgaging our future, what can it hurt to bring him in?

as chargeroo says, then let them battle it out and let the best 4 LBs win.

i just wish we can somehow get runyan too.

Lightswitch
03-17-2006, 07:50 PM
I don't see us getting any of them IMO. 2 expensive and i think we have plenty of depth untill next year.

SDFaiderHater
03-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Yay! Another linebacker! Maybe arrington can shore up our offensive line, or be our right corner and get us more picks. :rolleyes:

you may have the stupidest screenname in the history of the internet...that being said, you can never have enough playmakers on the D, and if he does in fact sign with us, i will take back eveyrthing ive said about AJ being afraid to take a risk on a bigname player.

SDFaiderHater
03-17-2006, 10:34 PM
My point is that someone was whining about our lack of signings so they should just follow a team like the Skins or the Raiders who year after year sign big name guys and yet year after year fall short. I don't mind the Redskins either but look how much they overpaid their free agents...

If you don't like our offseason decision plans maybe its time to find a new team.

Sorry for any confusion.

dude, its ok to not agree with every ****ing move the chargers make, if you are like some of the Sheeple on here, and think that the FO can do nothing wrong, and that EVERY move they do is golden, i feel sorry for you.

at the same time, if someone comes on here and every post they make is negative, then i feel sorry for them too, because they are just as much of a sheep.

Criticism is good, Baseless Idolizing or Whining, is not.

SDFaiderHater
03-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Give Edwards another year because he was banged up last year. He has to reprove himself.

I think the reason why we're waiting on LaVar is to give him time to lower his asking price. Although, 4 mil isn't bad if Donnie is making 3.2. I love the idea of playing Lights out at DE with LaVar over him.

Merriman should be right where he is, standing up, moving around, not being confined to having his hand down.

robbass
03-17-2006, 10:45 PM
The only way we get Arrington is if every other team passes on him. Thats the only way he''ll take an offer from Aj. Aj will only wait for players that he can low ball and because of this we will never get big name free agents. Now, you can say u dont want them but when u had all the pieces of the puzzle in place to win the SB you build through free agency not the draft. No rookie players can come in and give what a vet can right away. I know Drews gone so it doesnt matter this year but just imagine we still had Drew and signed Hutchinson or Bentley and Brandon LLoyd and Sam Madison. With those 3 signings and going through the draft we'd still be under the cap and be un beatable. Why struggle when u dont have too. This organization since the Leaf debacle should have never choose this path. We could've been unstopable . Thanks AJ for throwing these dreams down the drain. What other oraganization gets rid of pro bowl quarterback the way we did. No respect and doesnt sign anyone after not making the playoffs this year. Lol AJ your lucky you still have all your backers on this site cuz you have pissed off many loyal fans

nshep42
03-17-2006, 11:03 PM
right...rookie players like Castillo and Merriman were almost invisible last year...they did nothing to help the team

LarryAW
03-17-2006, 11:07 PM
remaining passive in FA and drafting well is our M.O.

if you pay attention to the guys that AJ has been drafting--they are coming in with the type of players that CAN contribute right away as rookies--furthermore I don't think they go after a winston justice who is too immature and in all likelyhood will be gone by pick 19---I see AJ playing the board a little trading down and picking up a second 2 or 3 then making sure he gets the chad clifton clone (andrew whitworth) then in the second round he can focus on secondary (ko simpson) and in the third he will go after the best guard or tackle available (jeremy trueblood)---so just chill till the next episode

I've been thinking of our dropping down some and picking up extra pick(s), too. There are some outstanding guys who will be picked early on, and then there are a lot of very good players left. I think AJ can substantially improve this team with the draft this year. The draft is always a crap-shoot, but AJ is pretty damn good at it.

AJ needs to grab one FA OT to keep us all quiet while we wait for the draft. Well, we won't be quiet, but maybe we'll be quieter. Arrington? If you gonna dream, you might as well dream big. ;)

hoopdreams
03-17-2006, 11:08 PM
We will not be $20 million under the cap if we sign LaVar, we won't be $20 under the cap if we draft anyone and we won't be $20 under the cap if we lock up some of our players.

This is what people don't seem to understand and why there is logic to getting rid of Donnie IF LaVar is signed.

Nobody is suggesting we get rid of him if we DON'T sign LaVar.

Go Bolts!

Wait a minute. What is the point in having $20 million in cap space? It's to hire more good players. What the h*** good is it if you just sit there and say, "Yep, we have more cap than you, and you, and you." Who cares how much cap we have. Cap doesn't mean a thing unless you aquire talent with the cap you have.

It's like some people want to spend less money so they by cheap stuff instead of quality stuff. In the long run you spend just as much money only your quality of life suffers. Here, it's the quality of our team. We're spending money on no-name guys that don't make much impact. More money spent for less return.

Podium
03-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I've been thinking of our dropping down some and picking up extra pick(s), too. There are some outstanding guys who will be picked early on, and then there are a lot of very good players left. I think AJ can substantially improve this team with the draft this year. The draft is always a crap-shoot, but AJ is pretty damn good at it.

AJ needs to grab one FA OT to keep us all quiet while we wait for the draft. Well, we won't be quiet, but maybe we'll be quieter. Arrington? If you gonna dream, you might as well dream big. ;)

6-3 255 big.;)

Chargeroo
03-17-2006, 11:09 PM
You can of course, gripe about the loss of Brees all you want and the truth is, if Brees goes on to have a great career while Rivers fails, Mr. Smith will never live it down. But none of us knows what the future will bring for either of these people. We do have a short history on AJ Smith though.

Prior to AJ Smith picking our players/moves/trades/etc. -
2000 = 1-15
2001 = 5-11
2002 = 8-8
2003 = 4-12 Total wins = 18

The Chargers record in the last two years, under AJ Smith has been;

2004 = 12-4
2005 = 9-7 Total wins = 21

So although you feel you know more about it than he does, he has a record that makes many of us believe in him and the direction of the team for the first time in a long time and I think I'll wait to see how it all turns out. So far, AJ has been right more than he's been wrong. I do hope he'll spend some of that cap money on a O-lineman or two and perhaps a Corner.

SuperMatt
03-17-2006, 11:10 PM
I'll back down a little about Donnie. It could be that his knee was the problem last year so I guess Thunderstruck has the best idea. Sign Arrington and let all of them compete. If Edwards is better than the others, fine - but if his problems last year were because of age catching up - save the 3.2 mil. I do like Arrington though, he's a Merriman type player.

I'm okay with this. I would like to have Arrington, so long as he's willing to be a team player (which I think he is) and doesn't come with too hefty a price tag. I don't think Donnie's season last year is attributed to age. I think he's got more than a few good years left in him and I think his smarts, instincts and leadership are far too valuable to just toss on the trash heap. If you want to line them up and let them compete, I'm all for it. Arrington, is big, strong and fast, but I don't think he shares the feel for the game that Donnie does. I will admit I haven't watched Arrington as much as I've watched Edwards, but since Rodney and Jr left, who has come up with the big defensive play when we needed it? :59: has.

SuperMatt
03-17-2006, 11:11 PM
You can of course, gripe about the loss of Brees all you want and the truth is, if Brees goes on to have a great career while Rivers fails, Mr. Smith will never live it down. But none of us knows what the future will bring for either of these people. We do have a short history on AJ Smith though.

Prior to AJ Smith picking our players/moves/trades/etc. -
2000 = 1-15
2001 = 5-11
2002 = 8-8
2003 = 4-12 Total wins = 18

The Chargers record in the last two years, under AJ Smith has been;

2004 = 12-4
2005 = 9-7 Total wins = 21

So although you feel you know more about it than he does, he has a record that makes many of us believe in him and the direction of the team for the first time in a long time and I think I'll wait to see how it all turns out. So far, AJ has been right more than he's been wrong. I do hope he'll spend some of that cap money on a O-lineman or two and perhaps a Corner.

QFT. Nails post.

robsweetin
03-17-2006, 11:36 PM

Absolutely with you. AJ has drafted 26 players in three years and 22 of them are still on the roster. AJ Smith is one of the finest talent evaluators in the NFL. We're lucky to have him as GM.

From what I've read, the Chargers are following Arrington closely to explore the possibility of signing him. I'm sure they will be interested in negotiating with him once the dust settles.

I've also read that he won't sign for less than a double-digit signing bonus. I'm not confident that the Chargers' front office feels comfortable paying that kind of money to a free agent.

However, for the record, I'd love to see Arrington wearing Bolts next season playing ILB. He's clearly a tremendously talented player and he's quoted as saying that Marty is his favorite coach. The freelancing problem was a result of the annual coaching turnover in Washington over the last 6 seasons, according to Michael Wilbon of the Washington Post. There is no doubt in my mind that our staff could 'coach him up' and prepare Arrington to be an effective ILB, even though he's played OLB since he's been in the NFL.

On another note, Pat Kirwan, citing an NFL GM, believes that there is a ton of value talent between picks 33-60. Like some other posters, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chargers package some of their late round picks - possibly with a player - to grab another mid-round pick. RMANCIL and others have noted that many of our late picks, the 6th and 7th rounders, in all likelihood will not make the 53 man roster because of the amount of quality depth the Chargers have now.

The following link will give you a strong idea of how the 1st round of the draft will break down.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9272044

HeadTrip
03-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Absolutely with you. AJ has drafted 26 players in three years and 22 of them are still on the roster. AJ Smith is one of the finest talent evaluators in the NFL. We're lucky to have him as GM.

Pat Kirwan, citing an NFL GM, believes that there is a ton of value talent between picks 33-60. Like some other posters, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chargers package some of their late round picks - possibly with a player - to grab another mid-round pick. RMANCIL and others have noted that many of our late picks, the 6th and 7th rounders, in all likelihood will not make the 53 man roster because of the amount of quality depth the Chargers have now.

The following link will give you a strong idea of how the 1st round of the draft will break down.

The flip side of trading all our picks is that we are taking a lot of picks out of AJs hands. You said yourself that you think AJ is a good evaluator of talents, and it might not be wise to minimize his effectiveness by giving him fewer picks. Remember, Shane Olivea came to us in the 7th round.

texasCHARGER
03-17-2006, 11:55 PM
If it is not broken dont fix it! We already have the best RUN STOP... LB and line.... now we need O line.... protect RIVERS so her has that extra 3 seconds more than BREES had to make the right reads and decisions. I am pumped about RIVERS but lets be honest he will need that extra 3-4 seconds people..... common AJ....

LarryAW
03-18-2006, 12:14 AM

From what I've read, the Chargers are following Arrington closely to explore the possibility of signing him. I'm sure they will be interested in negotiating with him once the dust settles.

I've also read that he won't sign for less than a double-digit signing bonus. I'm not confident that the Chargers' front office feels comfortable paying that kind of money to a free agent.

However, for the record, I'd love to see Arrington wearing Bolts next season playing ILB. He's clearly a tremendously talented player and he's quoted as saying that Marty is his favorite coach. The freelancing problem was a result of the annual coaching turnover in Washington over the last 6 seasons, according to Michael Wilbon of the Washington Post. There is no doubt in my mind that our staff could 'coach him up' and prepare Arrington to be an effective ILB, even though he's played OLB since he's been in the NFL.

On another note, Pat Kirwan, citing an NFL GM, believes that there is a ton of value talent between picks 33-60. Like some other posters, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chargers package some of their late round picks - possibly with a player - to grab another mid-round pick. RMANCIL and others have noted that many of our late picks, the 6th and 7th rounders, in all likelihood will not make the 53 man roster because of the amount of quality depth the Chargers have now.

Thanks for the link. That's pretty much how I see it and I think that's how AJ sees it.

That's an amazing stat, drafted 26 players and 22 are still on the team -- 85%. I'm really looking forward to the draft. It's going to be a lot of fun for Chargers' fans.

The Chargers don't go nuts in FA, but they gave McCree more than most people thought they would have. Arrington is a difference maker. If AJ is able to get him out here, I wouldn't be too shocked if AJ signed him.

Av9114
03-18-2006, 12:18 AM
I wasnt in favor of this at first, but It would be an interesting pick up. I dont like the "we're deep at LB" argument. There is never anything wrong with picking up a good player. Arrington has more upside than all of our linebackers other than perhaps Merriman. I dont know if he can play inside or not, but I dont see any reason that he couldn't. We did have the best run D last year but so what. Nothing's pefect, how could we get worse by having Arrington on the roster. Our pass rush could be incredible. Qbs have a hard time passing from the ground. Obviouslt we arent going to pay 10+mil a year for him but I think we would pay 5-6 plus incentives.

robbass
03-18-2006, 03:10 AM
Originaly posted by Hoop Dreams. Quote
Wait a minute. What is the point in having $20 million in cap space? It's to hire more good players. What the h*** good is it if you just sit there and say, "Yep, we have more cap than you, and you, and you." Who cares how much cap we have. Cap doesn't mean a thing unless you aquire talent with the cap you have.

It's like some people want to spend less money so they by cheap stuff instead of quality stuff. In the long run you spend just as much money only your quality of life suffers. Here, it's the quality of our team. We're spending money on no-name guys that don't make much impact. More money spent for less return.

Yes Hoop Dreams I totally agree with you. You have very good points. I really wish all fans would understand this instead of always sticking up for AJ. I wonder what they would be saying if we resigned Drew and signed players like Hutchinson,Bentley, Madison, Givens, Law. Why are these fans willing to except less than the best. Why is ok to not spend money? Why is ok to show no respect for Brees?

foty89
03-18-2006, 03:20 AM
Various people have tried to explain it to you in many ways, and you simply do not care to listen. It has become clear that you do not understand how we got the cap space, nor how AJ will use it to build our team through the draft and keep it together by giving our key players long term deals as has been down with Gates, L.T. and many others. Yep, Drew is gone, get over it. We won't know for years if it was the right decision, but it was right for the cap and for building the team. How long do you think we could keep both QB's for anyway?

And gee, big name FA's, we have seen that game before. More times than not, they don't work as well for the new team as the old. And they always cost more than just drafting a player who can do it for you for years to come.

And AJ does bring in FA's as he sees fit. They may not be the big flashy ones you want, but they generally have worked in our system very well.

So, go back to Madden and make your team anyway you want it. But out here in the real world, where it is a business and not just a game, leave it to the professionals. The game is a lot more complicated than you think.

Go Bolts!

robbass
03-18-2006, 03:50 AM
Thats funny, so I guess teams like the Cowboys and Redskins will fail right. They sign players like TO and trade for players like Brandon Lloyd. They are willing to take risks and are dedicated to winning. We sign some like Jue and Mccree and a fan like you gets all excited eyes. Yea its a decent signing but we need impact playmakers to complement the departure of Brees. We need and O Line that can protect the best running back and make sure he can play for the long haul and not break down. Im glad your so happy with AJs moves but believe me he has not done anything except have a good draft last year and sign some of our players long term. WHat else has he done?

foty89
03-18-2006, 03:59 AM
Thats funny, so I guess teams like the Cowboys and Redskins will fail right. They sign players like TO and trade for players like Brandon Lloyd. They are willing to take risks and are dedicated to winning. We sign some like Jue and Mccree and a fan like you gets all excited eyes. Yea its a decent signing but we need impact playmakers to complement the departure of Brees. We need and O Line that can protect the best running back and make sure he can play for the long haul and not break down. Im glad your so happy with AJs moves but believe me he has not done anything except have a good draft last year and sign some of our players long term. WHat else has he done?

Actually, it is two good drafts. And with the exception of Drew, he has signed just about all our key players to long term deals while still not blowing cap space.

AJ is building a team to compete for years to come, the Redskins and Cowboys are both building teams for the short term. If they don't win now, they won't win.

We are not missing that many pieces, and most can be gotten in the draft or free agency. You are aware that after June 1 there is another bunch of players that become free agents?

We are a solid team now, and with a few pieces that can be obtained through the draft and free agency, without going nuts, we can be better and be a winner year in and year out. I want to see us win for a decade, not a few years.

Go Bolts!

Whopper Stopper
03-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Actually, it is two good drafts. And with the exception of Drew, he has signed just about all our key players to long term deals while still not blowing cap space.

AJ is building a team to compete for years to come, the Redskins and Cowboys are both building teams for the short term. If they don't win now, they won't win.

We are not missing that many pieces, and most can be gotten in the draft or free agency. You are aware that after June 1 there is another bunch of players that become free agents?

We are a solid team now, and with a few pieces that can be obtained through the draft and free agency, without going nuts, we can be better and be a winner year in and year out. I want to see us win for a decade, not a few years.

Go Bolts!

I agree. Aj is a business man, he doesnt just pander to the wants of the fans. The fact is he has had our team winning since he took over. So many of you have no faith in your team. Free agency isnt even 2 week old yet and all I hear is crying. Go call whine one one and they can send the waaaaaambulance to come rescue you!

TJ21
03-18-2006, 08:23 AM
So much for AJ saying all 4 of our targets were gone. First we sign Shea, then we target Arrington. Nice going AJ, be active in FA! :Beer:

Chargeroo
03-18-2006, 10:38 AM
How did the Cowboys and Redskins do when they played in the Super Bowl last year? Last year all of the kids of this forum were talking about how great the Redskins and the raiders would be because they signed the best FA's. How'd that work out? I believe we only signed Jue and we beat both of those teams.

I'm still hopeful that AJ will sign some help for our o-line and perhaps a Cornerback ... there's lot's of time left and I have seen him remark that we need people at both of those positions so we know he's on the lookout for them.

Farmer808
03-18-2006, 10:40 AM
what number do you think lavar would wear here?

ryry2104
03-18-2006, 11:17 AM

56 1/2:Bolt:

smcs888
03-18-2006, 12:21 PM
How did the Cowboys and Redskins do when they played in the Super Bowl last year? Last year all of the kids of this forum were talking about how great the Redskins and the raiders would be because they signed the best FA's. How'd that work out? I believe we only signed Jue and we beat both of those teams.

Ya but im pretty sure Washington made the postseason. Its ridiculous how many people sit here and have blind faith in the moves. Sure u cant sign everyone u wantor marquee playeers but the belief that the signings do not help the teams is ignorant and stupid. Dallas and Washington "building a one shot contender" is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. With owners like Jerry Jones and Al Davis, every year will be like this. Look at the yankees, the worst minor league system in the league, but they contend every year. San Diego has glaring holes, which unless filled we will not be acontender for a while. I am not calling to sign every good pl;ayer in FA or saying its reasonable, its just time for people to stop saying such ridiculous things about otherteams because of their either blind love for every charger move or jealousy about other teams aquisitions. Not every charger decision is a good one, so stop praising everything they do and bashing those who clearly see the big picture.

Chargeroo
03-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Ya but im pretty sure Washington made the postseason. Its ridiculous how many people sit here and have blind faith in the moves. Sure u cant sign everyone u wantor marquee playeers but the belief that the signings do not help the teams is ignorant and stupid. Dallas and Washington "building a one shot contender" is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. With owners like Jerry Jones and Al Davis, every year will be like this. Look at the yankees, the worst minor league system in the league, but they contend every year. San Diego has glaring holes, which unless filled we will not be acontender for a while. I am not calling to sign every good pl;ayer in FA or saying its reasonable, its just time for people to stop saying such ridiculous things about otherteams because of their either blind love for every charger move or jealousy about other teams aquisitions. Not every charger decision is a good one, so stop praising everything they do and bashing those who clearly see the big picture.Washington made the post season with the same record we had - they are in the weaker NFC. The fact remains, they spent many millions of dollars and we beat them in their own stadium. Can you improve your team by signing a solid FA? Sure you can and we should be trying to sign help in our secondary and o-line. But, some people want us to go out and sign big names for big bucks at the wrong positions.
If you want to read some good takes on signing FA's - check this thread out:

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=29664&page=15

TJ21
03-18-2006, 12:38 PM
65? lol :Beer:

Av9114
03-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Ya but im pretty sure Washington made the postseason. Its ridiculous how many people sit here and have blind faith in the moves. Sure u cant sign everyone u wantor marquee playeers but the belief that the signings do not help the teams is ignorant and stupid. Dallas and Washington "building a one shot contender" is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. With owners like Jerry Jones and Al Davis, every year will be like this. Look at the yankees, the worst minor league system in the league, but they contend every year. San Diego has glaring holes, which unless filled we will not be acontender for a while. I am not calling to sign every good pl;ayer in FA or saying its reasonable, its just time for people to stop saying such ridiculous things about otherteams because of their either blind love for every charger move or jealousy about other teams aquisitions. Not every charger decision is a good one, so stop praising everything they do and bashing those who clearly see the big picture.

Washington was one and done. The Yankees play BASEBALL in the MLB with no SALARY CAP. When you manipulate the cap through signing bonuses and backloaded deals you eventually end up like the 49ers. That money that you pay in signing bonuses will count againat the cap eventually.

No one is saying that signings don't help the team, but you can't just go out and sign people just because. AJ is looking for the right players, and so far in the two years he's been GM I think that its fair to say that he has done that. Do you really want Jerry Jones or Al Davis running this team? With owners like Al Davis every year will be like what? 4-12? Although I don't really know how Al Davis got in this discussion, I thought we were talking about the Skins and Dan Snyder.

Now last time I checked the teams that seem to be knocking on the door every year seem to be those that manage their cap and sign underrated players to short term deals. There is a reason teams like the Patriots, Eagles, Seahawks, Panthers, and Steelers have been in the Super Bowl recently.

hoopdreams
03-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Washington was one and done. The Yankees play BASEBALL in the MLB with no SALARY CAP. When you manipulate the cap through signing bonuses and backloaded deals you eventually end up like the 49ers. That money that you pay in signing bonuses will count againat the cap eventually.

No one is saying that signings don't help the team, but you can't just go out and sign people just because. AJ is looking for the right players, and so far in the two years he's been GM I think that its fair to say that he has done that. Do you really want Jerry Jones or Al Davis running this team? With owners like Al Davis every year will be like what? 4-12? Although I don't really know how Al Davis got in this discussion, I thought we were talking about the Skins and Dan Snyder.

Now last time I checked the teams that seem to be knocking on the door every year seem to be those that manage their cap and sign underrated players to short term deals. There is a reason teams like the Patriots, Eagles, Seahawks, Panthers, and Steelers have been in the Super Bowl recently.

Yeah but they don't have twenty million in cap to spend when it's over. Usually they're getting close to the cap limit. Arrington isn't getting what he is asking for. If he drops enough, AJ should get him.

robbass
03-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Yes I agree its like some of these fans will just settle and praise for everything AJ does. Its like hes a savior to them. Why wouldn't you want him pulling the trigger for an up and coming receiver in Brandon Llyod. Why would'nt u want him signing a corner like Madison. Imagine if AJ was making moves we wouldnt be having this discussion. We have some of the most cap space of any team and all of our stars are locked for years. That money will just sit there and be consumed by the Spanos family. It will not help us to save it even if we spend on a couple of big names, which there aren't really any big ones left. We'd still be well under the cap, so why are u guys so happy with just sitting on the money. U loose Brees 9 mil salary and the salary cap goes up by 10mil and nothing except Mccree is done. Lol AJ supporters. Im glad you guys think this is good for our team.

hoopdreams
03-18-2006, 02:01 PM
AJ does really well in the draft and really poorly in free agency. He started out as a scout. Now he is GM. It stands to reason that his skill set is geared towrd the draft, not free agency. He is a good talent evaluator and that's why he doesn't want to pay big money for guys who don't do a ton more. What he doesn't realize is that guys like Arrington have an attitude that makes them winners. Some guys aren't what you would consider character guys but they have something else. A killer instinct. We need guys that are going to go all out and make offenses scared to come out on the field. Look what Merriman has done for the team. If we had two more guys that were just crazy, then teams offenses would know that they might move the ball but they are going to pay for it all week long.

We showed teams how to beat the Colts. Blitz the crap out of Manning and get a few good shots on him. If a QB is glancing over his shoulder then he isn't looking down field. In Mannings case, all he had to do was look at Merriman coming toward him and it was enough to distract him from looking downfield and he mde a few more throwing errors than normal.

foty89
03-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Yes I agree its like some of these fans will just settle and praise for everything AJ does. Its like hes a savior to them. Why wouldn't you want him pulling the trigger for an up and coming receiver in Brandon Llyod. Why would'nt u want him signing a corner like Madison. Imagine if AJ was making moves we wouldnt be having this discussion. We have some of the most cap space of any team and all of our stars are locked for years. That money will just sit there and be consumed by the Spanos family. It will not help us to save it even if we spend on a couple of big names, which there aren't really any big ones left. We'd still be well under the cap, so why are u guys so happy with just sitting on the money. U loose Brees 9 mil salary and the salary cap goes up by 10mil and nothing except Mccree is done. Lol AJ supporters. Im glad you guys think this is good for our team.

Another great post.

Have I or Chargeroo not repeatedly said that AJ is not perfect and will and has made mistakes?

As for being a savior, he is not, but he has brought us back to being a good team that is considered a contender.

Now, to the two names you mentioned, why would we want Llyod? How is better than what we have and how do we know he will be better than VJ? Perhaps we should think that OUR COACHES who work with OUR PLAYERS know what they can become. Also, would you want us to pay him more than he got, when most experts think he got paid TOO MUCH already? As for Madison, it could go either way. However, he is not the youngest guy our there and would have a short shelf life. AJ prefers guys who have more left in the tank.

You continue to misunderstand the cap figure we have. Yep, it is a big number, but it will be gone before long. Yes, our stars are locked up, but the supporting cast is not and there will be contracts with that group in near future that eat into that cap. Also, free agency is from now until the beginning of the season, it does not end today, and so there is still plenty of time for moves to be made. Yeah, the "BIG NAMES" are mostly gone, but so what? AJ has done well bringing in lesser known guys who do pretty well here. Then there is that whole draft thing, that will take a big chunk of change to get done.

So, in the end, there will be some money left in the cap at the start of the season, a few million. Just like there has been every year. And you know what, that is a good thing because it allows us to make moves during the season too.

As for your assertions that the Spanos will keep the extra cap money, that is just misguided. They have consistently spent just about the entire cap each year, so put that one away.

Most of us who support AJ are more than willing to admit that AJ has made mistakes and will make mistakes, but we still think he is a good GM and has done more good than bad.

You on the other hand, seem to hate everyone here. In various posts you have attacked AJ, the ownership and the coach, so at least you are consistent, as nobody makes you happy.

It takes all kinds.

Go Bolts!

foty89
03-18-2006, 03:36 PM
AJ does really well in the draft and really poorly in free agency. He started out as a scout. Now he is GM. It stands to reason that his skill set is geared towrd the draft, not free agency. He is a good talent evaluator and that's why he doesn't want to pay big money for guys who don't do a ton more. What he doesn't realize is that guys like Arrington have an attitude that makes them winners. Some guys aren't what you would consider character guys but they have something else. A killer instinct. We need guys that are going to go all out and make offenses scared to come out on the field. Look what Merriman has done for the team. If we had two more guys that were just crazy, then teams offenses would know that they might move the ball but they are going to pay for it all week long.

We showed teams how to beat the Colts. Blitz the crap out of Manning and get a few good shots on him. If a QB is glancing over his shoulder then he isn't looking down field. In Mannings case, all he had to do was look at Merriman coming toward him and it was enough to distract him from looking downfield and he mde a few more throwing errors than normal.

You do remember that this thread is about the Chargers being interested in LaVar, right?

Go Bolts!

TBOLTZCALI
03-18-2006, 03:37 PM
I agree with the last post, this isnt an AJ thread

LarryAW
03-18-2006, 03:55 PM

I have been a Chargers' fan for 36 years, and AJ, whether you like him or not, is one of the best GM's we have had. He may end up being the best GM we have ever had. As someone else pointed out in another thread, 22 of the 26 players AJ has drafted are still on the team. That's an astounding 85%.

Here's an economic reality check for you. (Figures from ESPN the Magazine 27 March 06 issue) In 2004, the Redskins, ranked 1st, had $287 million in revenues. The Chargers, ranked 30th, had $165 million in revenues. If you subtracted this year's salary cap ($102 million) from the Redskins' 2004 revenues, they would have $20 million more in revenues ($185 million) left than the Chargers started with. In case you were wondering, the Cowboys ranked 3rd ($231 million), Browns ranked 6th ($203 million), and the Broncos 7th ($202 million). There are a lot of costs involved in addition to players' salaries.

The Chargers are getting the best young talent they can and then locking then up for a long period of time. This is the ONLY way the Chargers are going to be able to compete in the future. That's why the Chargers use the draft and think long-term. They don't have a choice.

This is the last paragraph of that article in ESPN The Magazine: The NFL's new accord is in keeping with it's traditional revenue-sharing spirit, but only partially. It's a win for the players, for Tagliabue and for the rich teams that pioneered the development of local revenues. But nearly a quarter of the franchises, including Atlanta, Jacksonville, Oakland, and San Diego, are already hard up for cash. If you're a fan of one of them, you've got to wonder if there's enough help in this deal to compete in the era of the $100 million salary cap.

The Chargers always spend the money they can under the cap, but they have to be damn careful how they spend it. They can't afford to make mistakes and still compete. If you think there is a lot of money left for the Spanos' to spend, you are dead wrong. The ESPN The Magazine articles wasn't written by the Spanos'.

benji929
03-18-2006, 04:01 PM

From 1-15 and 4-12 to 12-4 and 9-7.

Don't get me wrong. That's not to say AJ's infallible. But I think its understandable why some people (including me) hold AJ in such high regards.

localboltfan619
03-18-2006, 04:53 PM
AJ save our money, and go get a legit number receiver and a right tackle!!

hankster
03-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Having Arrington and Light Out on the same team, mentor and student, both bad ass studs would be very interesting. I'm thinking that having to play with his student, LaVar might be more inclined to be a team player? Maybe not.

bolts4ever21
03-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Yeah, back to Arrington. Whenever you can bring in a player who is as intense as he is, why not. The fact that he has some ties to the Charger team (Marty and Merriman), I hope that enough to get him to visit San Diego. But with that being said, bottom line is, AJ will have a set "value" for Arrington. If the two parties agree, he will a Charger. If he doesn't, then we move on... I love how AJ does these things....

And yes, this is an Arrington thread.

SDChargeHer
03-18-2006, 10:01 PM
You are such a positive Chargers fan, at least I think you are a Chargers fan, or at least you should be since you are posting on a Chargers board. But boy, it is pretty hard to tell from your posts.

Do you like anything the Chargers do? Are you happy when they win?

Go Bolts!

I can understand his attitude given the recent decisions by the front office. I say let him rant and rave til he comes around. He has a right to as a Charger fan. Seeing one of his favorite Chargers that he (like me) thinks would've brought us a super bowl THIS YEAR! and then watching top FA after top FA get snatched up with the chargers standing on the sideline. I don't think this organization is taking enough gambles to go for a world title. Dallas gambled with T.O. and denver has gambled and was also talking of TO it's no surprise they have seven world titles between them and numerous apperances. Every fan knows you CANT take this conservative approach in an aggresive game.

ze pekeño
03-18-2006, 10:04 PM
I can understand his attitude given the recent decisions by the front office. I say let him rant and rave til he comes around. He has a right to as a Charger fan. Seeing one of his favorite Chargers that he (like me) thinks would've brought us a super bowl THIS YEAR! and then watching top FA after top FA get snatched up with the chargers standing on the sideline. I don't think this organization is taking enough gambles to go for a world title. Dallas gambled with T.O. and denver has gambled and was also talking of TO it's no surprise they have seven world titles between them and numerous apperances. Every fan knows you CANT take this conservative approach in an aggresive game.
your right on the money!!!

LightningField
03-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Hello Bolt fans. Nice to see so many friends. I have read lots of negatives and positives. First to the negatives. Think back to the (not so) good old days of Bobby Beathard and his one man crusade to destroy the Chargers future by trading #1 picks for instant gratification (kind of like spending a lot on FA for the same). Now with Bobby's garbage, you should whine. He did get us to a super bowl, but the expense was high for many years. You are apparently either a new Bolt athletic supporter, or simply have forgetten the bad times when true bolt fans still supported their team.

Head up guys, we have it good right now. The hiring of John Butler (rest his soul) and AJ was one of the best moves by the Charger organization ever. AJ is doing an outstanding job and I am so glad to be rid of Bobby and his shenanigans. April is fun again. When Bobby was in SD land, draft day was a waste. I would love to see Lavar increase the lightning strike defense, because I believe it would be just that, lightning attack. There would be so much pressure on the opposing QB's that it would improve the secondary performance as well. Then AJ could concentrate on OL and WR help. Just think how good LT would be with a line in front of him. But if he (Lavar) wants too much money, then AJ is making the right move. Also I think Marlon Mcree will open your eyes to some good safety play. I wish we had him sooner. And yes I miss Drew also. But he chose his path. Often good things come from change. Lets see what happens and be glad we have a good GM.:19:

SDFaiderHater
03-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Hello Bolt fans. Nice to see so many friends. I have read lots of negatives and positives. First to the negatives. Think back to the (not so) good old days of Bobby Beathard and his one man crusade to destroy the Chargers future by trading #1 picks for instant gratification (kind of like spending a lot on FA for the same). Now with Bobby's garbage, you should whine. He did get us to a super bowl, but the expense was high for many years. You are apparently either a new Bolt athletic supporter, or simply have forgetten the bad times when true bolt fans still supported their team.

Head up guys, we have it good right now. The hiring of John Butler (rest his soul) and AJ was one of the best moves by the Charger organization ever. AJ is doing an outstanding job and I am so glad to be rid of Bobby and his shenanigans. April is fun again. When Bobby was in SD land, draft day was a waste. I would love to see Lavar increase the lightning strike defense, because I believe it would be just that, lightning attack. There would be so much pressure on the opposing QB's that it would improve the secondary performance as well. Then AJ could concentrate on OL and WR help. Just think how good LT would be with a line in front of him. But if he (Lavar) wants too much money, then AJ is making the right move. Also I think Marlon Mcree will open your eyes to some good safety play. I wish we had him sooner. And yes I miss Drew also. But he chose his path. Often good things come from change. Lets see what happens and be glad we have a good GM.:19:

i agree with almost everything, the chargers never even talked to brees in the final 2 weeks leading to FA, so i think they chose the path for him...

that will be my final tidbit on Drew, good luck to him in Saints land, i have a new second favorite team...that being said, i would like to see Lavar here, i think that he would be a nice upgrade to the D, and with so much cap room, giving him a nice deal wouldnt kill our cap. i have to say to all the bashers who say that we never use all the cap space, thats a lie, i think at seasons begining, we were very close to the allowed cap, but we took care of a lot of our guys, and now is the time to start working towards upgrades, whether its through the draft, or FA...if AJ can fix our holes through the draft, then by all mean, i hope he does, home grown talent is often better then stop-gap FAs. FAs who can help your team for in the long run are hard to come by, but when they do come around, i think we need to play a little bit more with that area in order to put the best possible team on the field.

mattmc223
03-19-2006, 01:07 AM

Terrell Owens is directly correlated to the Super Bowl?...look where he landed the Eagles this year and still wasn't able to lead them to a victory the last. And how many Super Bowls did he win with San Francisco? He is just not a good fit for this organization.

SD4MG
03-19-2006, 01:15 AM
one of the main reasons that arrington left washington was due to the fact that they ran a 3-4 defense and the coaching staff felt that he wasn't a good match for the system. if they felt that one of there highest paid players wasn't worth playing what makes people think he'll work out here. he does have a connection with the coach when he was at DC, but we don't need a big name high priced LB. We need to focus on a DB not a LB, we have a surplus on that.

LightningField
03-19-2006, 02:24 AM
one of the main reasons that arrington left washington was due to the fact that they ran a 3-4 defense and the coaching staff felt that he wasn't a good match for the system. if they felt that one of there highest paid players wasn't worth playing what makes people think he'll work out here. he does have a connection with the coach when he was at DC, but we don't need a big name high priced LB. We need to focus on a DB not a LB, we have a surplus on that.

I am very familiar with Lavar being a PA bolt fan. He was very, very good and comes from linebacker U. History doesn't show too many bad linebackers in the NFL from Penn State. Other positions perhaps, but the linebacker tradition is outstanding. Washington isn't winning anything even with the money they spend. Perhaps it is Washington which is the problem. The man is definitely not a T.O. Now there is poison. Good for Dallas, they can have him. Only team I could wish him on more would be Raiders. But to the point. Who is in DC who you think knows linebackers better than Joe Paterno? He would be a tremendous upgrade.

Mr. Heisman
03-19-2006, 02:38 AM
Who's aj gunna dump if he grabs either Lavar or Pete. who's gunna be floating in that boat called super bowl champs Chargers for 06-07 season! Brees is in there Marty is jumping in there soon, ect.

Mr. Heisman
03-19-2006, 02:45 AM
ok this might come off negative but did buffalo ever win superbowl...did Marty?
hmmm... All I know is Ross was best Hire and worst fire ever... followed by Harrison. not taking troy and trading that pick to philly.

I think we are close right now... to lose drew brees because of our LT sucking and RT being a guard showed us which way to go in this FA period... we so far have failed to address this need, I am a real charger fan, but we charger fans are being punked.!

Losing Drew to the fact of having a bad line....Thank you, remember Stan, all i was thinking midseason, was concussion, poor stan we could have repeated after 95! too bad about his arm but his head...due to the fact of no line! he was getting rocked by Ken Norten Jr.! and Plumber

Jabroni
03-19-2006, 03:19 AM
I would be shocked if we actually even look at Arrington. With his high pay expectations, his headaches in Washington which are or aren't attributed to his sketchy character issues, it wouldn't be AJ's normal-type acquisition. Also, I don't think ownership will bend for AJ to make a major signing like this (don't forget, the Chargers pay out their cap money from more than 50% of their total football revenue - the Spanos family like any owner of a business needs to turn a profit and the more you save in free agency and replace guys through the draft, the more you can keep).
I think the only reason we might be even remotely in the Arrington mix is because you have to look at quality players as a default, but also because of the Merriman-Arrington connection. I am certain Merriman made a call to Chargers Management to finesse the situation.
I see us going after a veteran wideout before free agency is done, not linebacker. Let's see how much Moulds wants if/when they cut him before June 1.:Beer:

green_tree725
03-19-2006, 04:40 AM
Isn't this thread supposed to be about Arrington and people's thoughts on him? When all i am reading is a bunch of people complaining about AJ and our offensive line woes. AJ isn't stupid! Do you really think he wants the bolts to do bad? Lets be positive and trust AJ. So far he has done a great job. He turned us from NFL rejects to contenders with a coupla good drafts. Free agency isn't where you solve everything. Most of the free agents are out there for a reason, be it injury, age or some other factor. The best way to build a team is through the draft. I am not anti Free agency. I would love to see the chargers pick up Arrington, Neal, Ashworth, Runyan, or Eric Moulds. They are all solid pickups who would make us a better team and would not cost us alot of money with the exception of Arrington. C'mon charger fans lets stay positive!

TheIceCreamMan
03-19-2006, 04:56 PM
get Lavar or im gunna punch chuck norris ..then he will round house kick me.. and then ill die.. do u guys want mortal kombat to die!!!!!

SUPERBOLTSCHAMP
03-19-2006, 05:05 PM
the fact that those chief's fans are all scared about us might get LaVar and Merriman on the same team enough to convince me that lavar can only bring good games with great hits

TCUFAN5
03-19-2006, 05:16 PM
why not get LaVar didnt the SHooty like him in Washington

Chargeroo
03-19-2006, 05:37 PM
why not get LaVar didnt the SHooty like him in Washington
Yes and Marty liked him and LaVar has said Marty was a great guy to play for. Maybe it'll happen, who knows? I think we need a Corner and an OT much worse but Arrington is one of the best players still available, so I'm sure we'd like getting him.

benji929
03-19-2006, 05:49 PM
I don't think the Chargers really need Arrington. We've already got Merriman, Foley, and Philips, who are all very capable pass rushing OLBs. Looking at Arrington's stats, it seems like he's only had 3 good seasons and only 1 season with over 10 sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187383

On the other hand, his pass D numbers are pretty good. And he certainly is a big name guy. He'd probably satisfy all the people who want AJ to make a big move. At the very least he would quiet some of the whining in this forum.

paul.almryde
03-19-2006, 05:55 PM
:Helmet: Merriman and Arrington on the same side, wow what HAVOC!:Bolt: Go Chargers#1!

ryry2104
03-19-2006, 06:28 PM
so why not put arrington at ILB? didnt he play OLB in 4-3 so it is similar to ILB in 3-4

BoltsfanNYC
03-19-2006, 06:51 PM
um i guess we are not getting will alllen either..rich get richer!

BoltsfanNYC
03-19-2006, 06:52 PM
anyone know how much cap room we have left? to spend HAHAHA

JoeMcRugby
03-19-2006, 08:14 PM
um i guess we are not getting will alllen either..rich get richer!

The first round bust?

I guess not. ;)

Dojo
03-20-2006, 10:08 AM
ARRINGTON! ARRINGTON! ARRINGTON!

Is he scheduled to meet with us? Are the schedules released to the public?

TCUFAN5
03-20-2006, 12:16 PM
bring in LAVARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR he needs to be reunited with MARTY and he can make Shawne better.. LOL

TheIceCreamMan
03-20-2006, 01:07 PM
i hate how the chargers are soo secret bout all this

hoopdreams
03-20-2006, 02:28 PM
As of right now it looks like Arrington will be headed to the Bengals. I don't think they have matched what he wants and that's why he hasn't signed yet. I don't think anyone is going to pay him what he wants though. The Bengals have already met with him and have talked with him extensively.

BoltsfanNYC
03-20-2006, 02:32 PM
hey mcd if you can play CB... I will sign you!

LTisMyHero
03-20-2006, 02:40 PM
wow that would be a great pickup for Cincy

bolts4ever21
03-20-2006, 02:46 PM
It would be a great pick up for us.

LTisMyHero
03-20-2006, 02:54 PM
If I had to bet on who would be more likely to get LaVar between us and Cincy

I would bet Cincy.

But yes, I would agree it would be a great pickup for us.

TheIceCreamMan
03-20-2006, 03:31 PM
if he goes there im gunna slap AJ myself.. c/mon get the daum brother

SUPERBOLTSCHAMP
03-20-2006, 04:37 PM
if LaVar goes to cincy, we have a big prolbem this year with the bengal:(

Oh yeah, SDchargerLT21 make sure to call me when u slap him, i wanna see :D

JCDavey
03-20-2006, 04:47 PM
if LaVar goes to cincy, we have a big prolbem this year with the bengal:(

Oh yeah, SDchargerLT21 make sure to call me when u slap him, i wanna see :Di could see him going to the bengals, he's going to love playing his little bro at least once this season possibly twice if each team gets into the playoffs

i really think cincy is a good fit for him because of the talent they have there with odell thurman

if cincy upgrades their safety play and palmer comes back healthy, jesus that is scary.

bolts7
03-20-2006, 04:55 PM
if anyone really thinks that the chargers will even try to get arrington you need to get slaped cuz they won't try when was the last time sd got a big named guy in the ***entcy

hambone
03-20-2006, 05:15 PM
i could see him going to the bengals, he's going to love playing his little bro at least once this season possibly twice if each team gets into the playoffs

i really think cincy is a good fit for him because of the talent they have there with odell thurman

if cincy upgrades their safety play and palmer comes back healthy, jesus that is scary.

who is his little bro?

bolts4ever21
03-20-2006, 05:17 PM
if anyone really thinks that the chargers will even try to get arrington you need to get slaped cuz they won't try when was the last time sd got a big named guy in the ***entcy
True, but we can all hope for and wish for Arrington. Maybe behind the scenes, Merriman is pitching the idea and AJ is getting tired of hearing it. Then he tell Merriman, since you are our future I will try to get him for you. What is wrong with that.

And if I had to bet on which team would get him, I'd work for ESPN as an Insider.

JoeMcRugby
03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
who is his little bro?
He's referring to Merriman.

When Lavar first came to the Skins, Lavar's younger brother was playing on the same high school team as Shawne. From that point forward, Lavar has taken Shawne under his wing and treated him like a brother.

JoeMcRugby
03-20-2006, 05:44 PM
i could see him going to the bengals, he's going to love playing his little bro at least once this season possibly twice if each team gets into the playoffs

The Bengals need to seriously upgrade their run defense. A safety and Arrington would help out somewhat, but stopping the run starts up front. They need to upgrade the interior defense in their front 7 if they want to be serious contenders.

ryry2104
03-20-2006, 05:48 PM
are we going to put arrington at ILB? didnt he play OLB in 4-3 so it is similar to ILB in 3-4

JCDavey
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
who is his little bro?well merriman is LIKE his little bro, not literally

JCDavey
03-20-2006, 05:57 PM
The Bengals need to seriously upgrade their run defense. A safety and Arrington would help out somewhat, but stopping the run starts up front. They need to upgrade the interior defense in their front 7 if they want to be serious contenders.i wonder how pollack is for them at that, i loved that kid at UGA but he seems more like just a pass rusher

bolts4ever21
03-20-2006, 06:06 PM
The Bengals need to seriously upgrade their run defense. A safety and Arrington would help out somewhat, but stopping the run starts up front. They need to upgrade the interior defense in their front 7 if they want to be serious contenders.

So, since we already have the front locked up, and we picked up a safety, does that mean Arrington is coming. Because if that would help the Bengals, that would definitely be nice for us also.

Get the Bros to play together and you'll see double digit sacks from both of them...

JoeMcRugby
03-20-2006, 06:07 PM
are we going to put arrington at ILB? didnt he play OLB in 4-3 so it is similar to ILB in 3-4

It's not that similar.

There are parts to a 3-4 ILB's responsibilities that are similar to a 4-3 OLB and others that are totally different.

The bottom line is that it looks as if the Postons are looking to break the bank with his new contract. If there are no nibbles (and presently it doesn't look as if there are any), the Chargers might have some interest.

bolts4ever21
03-20-2006, 06:09 PM
The Postons... wouldn't the brothers like to see the brothers get together.

TheIceCreamMan
03-20-2006, 06:14 PM
i swear to god if we dont get Arrington!!!! AHHHHH

bolts4ever21
03-20-2006, 06:19 PM
i swear to god if we dont get Arrington!!!! AHHHHH
I am with you SDcharger... getting better on the typing, I see. But really, I was like that when I wanted Bentley.... so I've been on AAAHHHHHH for sometime now!!!

nochleben
03-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Lavar would be a great asset for our team. but as always we build off the draft and we'll continue to do that so dont get your hopes up.

TheIceCreamMan
03-20-2006, 06:52 PM
I am with you SDcharger... getting better on the typing, I see. But really, I was like that when I wanted Bentley.... so I've been on AAAHHHHHH for sometime now!!!

Yea, I have been practicing ;)
I type alot slower now, but alot more accurate...

bolts4ever21
03-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Yea, I have been practicing ;)
I type alot slower now, but alot more accurate...

Tru DAT, I was playing with you at first. But sometimes I had to read your posts like twice before it made sense.

TheIceCreamMan
03-20-2006, 08:50 PM
lol... I know.. im not soo good ...

Podium
03-20-2006, 09:39 PM
It's not that similar.

There are parts to a 3-4 ILB's responsibilities that are similar to a 4-3 OLB and others that are totally different.

The bottom line is that it looks as if the Postons are looking to break the bank with his new contract. If there are no nibbles (and presently it doesn't look as if there are any), the Chargers might have some interest.

I posted this about Poston a couple days back, but here's the link just in case. Some things get lost in the "Around the NFL" section.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=29611&highlight=poston

apparently poston was suspended by the NFLPA.

robsweetin
03-20-2006, 09:55 PM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9324476

(March 20, 2006) -- One of the busiest teams of the offseason struck again when the Seattle Seahawks reached agreement with former San Francisco linebacker Julian Peterson on a blockbuster seven-year, $54 million deal.

The deal, which the Seahawks and agent Kevin Poston spent today finalizing, includes $18.5 million worth of guarantees, including $10 million this season. -- Adam Schefter

------

Look for Arrington to sign a similar deal.

JCDavey
03-20-2006, 10:15 PM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9324476

(March 20, 2006) -- One of the busiest teams of the offseason struck again when the Seattle Seahawks reached agreement with former San Francisco linebacker Julian Peterson on a blockbuster seven-year, $54 million deal.

The deal, which the Seahawks and agent Kevin Poston spent today finalizing, includes $18.5 million worth of guarantees, including $10 million this season. -- Adam Schefter

------

Look for Arrington to sign a similar deal.hell of a deal for peterson, and if he's back to 100% health, jesus christ seattle is going to be tougher than ever

robsweetin
03-20-2006, 10:17 PM
hell of a deal for peterson, and if he's back to 100% health, jesus christ seattle is going to be tougher than ever

The Chargers play in Seattle next year too. :Bolt:

Podium
03-20-2006, 10:18 PM
hell of a deal for peterson, and if he's back to 100% health, jesus christ seattle is going to be tougher than ever

They're losing Hutch though.

Chargeroo
03-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Did you see him play any last year? He wasn't anywhere near as good as Merriman. He used to be great before the injury but he doesn't seem so quick now. Before his injury he was so quick off the ball that it looked like he knew the snap count but last year he was average at best. The Seahawks are taking a chance that he'll be all the way back now - if he's not, they paid out an awful lot of money, if he is, they got one of the best in the league.

RAWDOGG
03-21-2006, 10:06 AM
They're losing Hutch though.

I wonder how much that will affect their running game? :confused:

Chargeroo
03-21-2006, 11:36 AM
I wonder that too. Who is their backup for Hutch? Is he a good run blocker? Will they draft a Guard? Hard to say. The Seahawks should have franchise tagged him. I'm sure they hated losing him but it could have been a lethal blow to their cap if they kept him under the condition that it be 49 mil. dollars guaranteed. If they did that and he was injured and had to quit, they are out all that money and cap space = too risky!

SUPERBOLTSCHAMP
03-21-2006, 11:38 AM
holly sh, the bengal got peterson and they want LAVAR TOO:confused: . we better do something to stop this madnessss.

oh yeah, GO VIKINGGG, Thks for stealing Hutchingson away from the hawkl:p

Alibell1
03-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Did you see him play any last year? He wasn't anywhere near as good as Merriman. He used to be great before the injury but he doesn't seem so quick now. Before his injury he was so quick off the ball that it looked like he knew the snap count but last year he was average at best. The Seahawks are taking a chance that he'll be all the way back now - if he's not, they paid out an awful lot of money, if he is, they got one of the best in the league.

With the injury he had it takes at least two years to get up to speed. You'll see the old Peterson this year.

Podium
03-21-2006, 11:54 AM
holly sh, the bengal got peterson and they want LAVAR TOO:confused: . we better do something to stop this madnessss.

:confused:

the Bengals got Peterson?

Chargeroo
03-21-2006, 11:57 AM

Peterson didn't sign with the Bengals, he signed with the Seahawks.

(Hard to tell the players without a scorecard right now!) :)

Chargeroo
03-21-2006, 11:59 AM
With the injury he had it takes at least two years to get up to speed. You'll see the old Peterson this year. Sometimes that's true and sometimes they never get all the way back and end up retiring early. I'll say again, it's a gamble. If he's all the way back, they got a heck of a player, if not it's a big salary cap hit.

SUPERBOLTSCHAMP
03-21-2006, 12:57 PM
pheww... that was close,

OH WAIT, the seahawlk got him? him ?
we play them. oh ****

hoopdreams
03-21-2006, 02:43 PM
pheww... that was close,

we play them. oh ****

To win a Superbowl you have to play everyone. It shouldn't matter who we play next season if we have a shot at going to the big game.

Chargeroo
03-21-2006, 02:52 PM
pheww... that was close,

we play them. oh ****
If only he had signed with an Arena league team, huh. :)

castillo1fan
03-21-2006, 04:42 PM
do you think we will sign a really good defensive back like chris hope or charles woodson because damn jammer sucks he only got one intercetion while donnie edwards gets a more than two. i think mgree is going to help us because terrence kiel is starting to suck also or maybe we need a new defensive back coach anything that involves with defensive secondary we need it.

bolts4ever21
03-21-2006, 04:53 PM
I thought this was the Arrington thread???

TheIceCreamMan
03-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Get arrington !!!!!!!!

Sanitation Man
03-21-2006, 04:59 PM
pheww... that was close,

we play them. oh ****

Guess what? We play many teams with many stars. :rolleyes:

One player a team does not make. :p

Al "T.D." Bundy
03-21-2006, 05:52 PM
It appears the Chargers have some interest in Arrington:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhpS87Q6NH0IG0RnGZPPmIc5nYcB?slug=cr-freeagents032106&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Still, I think that double digit signing bonus isn't going to sit well with the FO. I'd love to see it though.

bolts4ever21
03-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Guess what? We play many teams with many stars. :rolleyes:

One player a team does not make. :p

That was kind of the arguement I had for all the people who thought we would be terrible when Brees left...

This is a team game.

And get Arrington

56lightsout56
03-21-2006, 06:32 PM
yeah, get arrington. although I wonder if the contract signed by his stable mate, Peterson with Seattle will still keep his asking price high. I dont think the Poston's will budge much on it.

foty89
03-21-2006, 06:39 PM
He is going to have to lower what he is demanding if he wants to play anywhere. He is certainly not going to get a double digit signing bonus and more than $5 million a year.

Anyone else find it interesting that the Polston idiots are the agents for most of these guys?

Go Bolts!

bolts4ever21
03-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah, if anything, he is going to ask for more than Peterson.. ego... but I am hoping he love Marty much more and that Merriman can get him to come play here with him. Just want another firery LB

LABoltsFan
03-21-2006, 08:26 PM
I wonder why the chargers are afraid of big names that build hype...

as much as big names are problematic, they also boost sales and fill seats...
(the new dallas T.O. jersey sold an amazing amount of T.O. jerseys the same day....)

imagine the hype if we had Arrington, Merriman and Seau....

sometimes, building hope and providing entertainment is just as important as any other factor.

amcobb
03-21-2006, 09:35 PM
I would like to see SEAU come back for his last year or two, mentor Merriman and possibly give Donnie some help inside...

ryry2104
03-21-2006, 09:44 PM
so say we get arrington, does he just play off and on until foley retires then he starts or does he play off and on until godfrey eaves then he starts, y should we get him if we have a have rdy and good baack ups alrdy? and i dont rly think he is that better than our current starters

TBOLTZCALI
03-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Whats up with Seau anyways? Any word on dude?

drangus
03-21-2006, 10:17 PM
If we sign arrington, who will wear number 56?

they are great friends but I don't know that merriman wants to go back to that #91 jersey

SM BOLTFAN
03-21-2006, 10:25 PM
i think getting Arrington would be great. But How many linebacker stars can one team have. they have the money but spend it wisely. id rather find a shut down corner b4 commiting to a high priced LB which hit the market every year anyway.

drangus
03-21-2006, 10:27 PM
i think getting Arrington would be great. But How many linebacker stars can one team have. they have the money but spend it wisely. id rather find a shut down corner b4 commiting to a high priced LB which hit the market every year anyway.

rest assured that if we sign him it will not break the bank and also we could never have enough star linebackers

Chargeroo
03-21-2006, 11:23 PM
We lost Leber this year and Godfrey and Edwards are both in there thirties. So I'd bet we are looking for a LB or two. Anyway, it's hard to have too many LB's when you use the 3/4 defense. But, you sure are correct that we need help at Corner more than we need a LB and we need an OT worse than either of them. Still, I think we have the money to do all three as long as he doesn't go goofy on how much he pays ......... and that's not his MO.

SDFaiderHater
03-22-2006, 01:06 AM
We lost Leber this year and Godfrey and Edwards are both in there thirties. So I'd bet we are looking for a LB or two. Anyway, it's hard to have too many LB's when you use the 3/4 defense. But, you sure are correct that we need help at Corner more than we need a LB and we need an OT worse than either of them. Still, I think we have the money to do all three as long as he doesn't go goofy on how much he pays ......... and that's not his MO.

and what corners...outside of ty law who by most people on here comes with a too high price tag, are better then what we have now at corner...safety was our biggest need last year(exculding Oline of course), and with McCree signing, hopefully we got what we needed.

hoopdreams
03-22-2006, 03:13 AM
Arrington has the same agent as Julian Peterson, and Peterson got a huge contract. Whoever gets Arrington is going to pay through the nose. I doubt AJ is even considering Arrington anymore. The Giants and the Dolphins are now the front runners. The Bengals have also had talks with Arrington but it appears that his asking price is too high.

Chargeroo
03-22-2006, 09:32 AM
and what corners...outside of ty law who by most people on here comes with a too high price tag, are better then what we have now at corner...safety was our biggest need last year(exculding Oline of course), and with McCree signing, hopefully we got what we needed.
Three that I think could be a replacement for Fletcher -
Jerry Azumah of the Bears
Andre Dyson of the Seahawks
Ahmed Plummer of the Niners

I've always like Dyson and I think he could even beat out Florence for a starters job. He'd be my first choice.

drangus
03-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Three that I think could be a replacement for Fletcher -
Jerry Azumah of the Bears
Andre Dyson of the Seahawks
Ahmed Plummer of the Niners

I've always like Dyson and I think he could even beat out Florence for a starters job. He'd be my first choice.

I like both dyson and plummer ath the right price-you get experience and relative youth

SUPERBOLTSCHAMP
03-22-2006, 02:10 PM
say goodbye to LaVar because AJ would never. NEVER NEVER EVER get into a bidding contest for a FA:(

Dolphins| Team's interest in Arrington rising
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:33:01 -0800
Jeff Darlington, of the Palm Beach Post, reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl">Miami Dolphins have raised their interest level in free agent LB LaVar Arrington (http://www.kffl.com/player/1917/nfl) (Redskins) after LB Julian Peterson (http://www.kffl.com/player/1575/nfl) signed with the Seattle Seahawks (http://www.kffl.com/team/33/nfl). With the Dolphins' interest in Arrington on the rise, they will have to compete with the New York Giants (http://www.kffl.com/team/26/nfl) for his services, a source said. The high price tag on Peterson could dictate how much a team likely will have to pay for Arrington, since both clients have the same agent, Kevin Poston

robbass
03-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Our chances of getting Lavar were as good as hell freezing over. AJ will not spend any of our excess cap money to help the team. He plans to focus on the draft like every team in the nfl. Unless Lavar played for a huge discount it would never be considered any way. AJ is not committed to bringing a super bowl winner to San Diego.

loweezy
03-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Our chances of getting Lavar were as good as hell freezing over. AJ will not spend any of our excess cap money to help the team. He plans to focus on the draft like every team in the nfl. Unless Lavar played for a huge discount it would never be considered any way. AJ is not committed to bringing a super bowl winner to San Diego.

if you are strong at drafts... then you can build a team that has the potential to be together for a long time... continuity...

just cuz we have more cap space, doesn't mean we should throw it at every player in the nfl with talent... (or even a name for that matter)...

If you don't like what aj's done in the past 2 years... then you're on something... =x

anyway... my thoughts on lavar... exceptional talent... but overpursues... foley/merriman/phillips do more than enough! i wouldn't want lavar, unless he had the potential to move inside

ChargerCohen
03-22-2006, 04:11 PM
if you are strong at drafts... then you can build a team that has the potential to be together for a long time... continuity...

just cuz we have more cap space, doesn't mean we should throw it at every player in the nfl with talent... (or even a name for that matter)...

If you don't like what aj's done in the past 2 years... then you're on something... =x

anyway... my thoughts on lavar... exceptional talent... but overpursues... foley/merriman/phillips do more than enough! i wouldn't want lavar, unless he had the potential to move inside

he does. get him!

jadeyknoxville
04-06-2006, 03:21 AM
lavar arrington would work-since shawne merriman has publicly said that lavar and him are good friends and that he had a hand in helping shawne develop into the QB killer that we see sunday after sunday.

foty89
04-06-2006, 03:58 AM
The idea of LaVar still has good point to it. However, not at the price that he is seeking. It is very interesting that NO team has offered him anything even close to what he wants. That tells me that he is asking too much and there is too much hype.

Looking at his stats the past two seasons, he has not been the huge player that he would have you believe. Sure, he is full of potential and talent, but that has not been seen on the field the last two years.

I am still open to the idea of getting him, but not at a price anywhere near what he wants.

If he would like to come in with an incentive laiden contract, that is fine. But otherwise, I am glad AJ has not thrown a bunch of money at him.

Go Bolts!

sabre
04-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Looking at his stats the past two seasons, he has not been the huge player that he would have you believe. Sure, he is full of potential and talent, but that has not been seen on the field the last two years.

Go Bolts!

His stats are a bit skewed since he was on the outs with his coaching staff and never saw the field. He was injured then benched. When he did play (playoffs against TB) he was a contributor.

rcali bolt hed
04-06-2006, 07:54 AM
I AM NOT TO SAYING LAVAR IS THE ANSWER.I KNOW HES A HEAD CASE AT TIMES AND HAS BEEN BENCHED. BUT THE CHARGER FANS HAD BEEN WILLING TO TAKE A CHANCE ON THE NON LOYAL GUN FOR HIRE NAMED BANK OF T.O. . THEN WHY NOT LAVAR. hOW MANY OF YOU HAD BEEN MISEABLE AT YOUR WORK PLACE. CHANGING JOBS CAN LIFT YOUR MORAL I KNOW I DID IT ,AND ITS GREAT! eSPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE A GUY WHOSE YOUR FRIEND LIKE MERRIMAN.eSPECIALLY WHEN YOU WANT TO PROVE IT WASNT YOU IT WAS THE WORK PLACE.nO MATTER WHAT PLAYERS WE SIGN ITS ALWAYS A GAMBLE.UNLESS YOUR A.J.(WHOS SLOW TO SIGN ANYBODY)

JoeMcRugby
04-06-2006, 08:35 AM
I AM NOT TO SAYING LAVAR IS THE ANSWER.I KNOW HES A HEAD CASE AT TIMES AND HAS BEEN BENCHED. BUT THE CHARGER FANS HAD BEEN WILLING TO TAKE A CHANCE ON THE NON LOYAL GUN FOR HIRE NAMED BANK OF T.O. . THEN WHY NOT LAVAR. hOW MANY OF YOU HAD BEEN MISEABLE AT YOUR WORK PLACE. CHANGING JOBS CAN LIFT YOUR MORAL I KNOW I DID IT ,AND ITS GREAT! eSPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE A GUY WHOSE YOUR FRIEND LIKE MERRIMAN.eSPECIALLY WHEN YOU WANT TO PROVE IT WASNT YOU IT WAS THE WORK PLACE.nO MATTER WHAT PLAYERS WE SIGN ITS ALWAYS A GAMBLE.UNLESS YOUR A.J.(WHOS SLOW TO SIGN ANYBODY)

Typing in all caps is against forum rules. You can review them here:

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=15293

To answer your question: "Why not Lavar?"

Because the guy with a very shaky knee is reportedly asking for a seven year deal for $56 million, making him the second highest paid Charger in history.

As for Charger fans willing to take a chance on T.O.: there have been a few, but they're in the vast minority. Most would be as likely to take a chance on Cryin' Ryan again as they would T.O.

R4PT0R
04-06-2006, 09:45 AM

Exactly my thoughts, i would only want LaVar if he could be an inside lb.

rcali bolt hed
04-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Typing in all caps is against forum rules. You can review them here:

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=15293

To answer your question: "Why not Lavar?"

Because the guy with a very shaky knee is reportedly asking for a seven year deal for $56 million, making him the second highest paid Charger in history.

As for Charger fans willing to take a chance on T.O.: there have been a few, but they're in the vast minority. Most would be as likely to take a chance on Cryin' Ryan again as they would T.O.
Sorry for being such a knuckle head i am going to read the rules thourghly right now!No more cap typing. For the record i get it and iam not in that minority "F" Leaf and T.O.

TJ21
04-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Merriman and Schottenheimer are really good friends with LaVar... anyone think that's why we're not signing him?

AJ doesn't want to put a guy that Marty likes on this team. Ugh. AJ!!!!!!!!!! :mad: LOOK AT THAT CAP ROOM YOU.... ARGH.

Ikeman83
04-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Merriman and Schottenheimer are really good friends with LaVar... anyone think that's why we're not signing him?

AJ doesn't want to put a guy that Marty likes on this team. Ugh. AJ!!!!!!!!!! :mad: LOOK AT THAT CAP ROOM YOU.... ARGH.

Arrington isn't an undrafted Free Agent, or a medium priced UFA, there's no way that Smitty signs him.

LABoltsFan
04-09-2006, 09:56 PM

arrington isnt on this team due to $ reasons... not because he is a friend of marty's...

any thoughts that AJ does things directly to make marty upset are silly... football is a business....

(remember, AJ has to protect HIS job too...)

Ikeman83
04-09-2006, 10:20 PM
arrington isnt on this team due to $ reasons... not because he is a friend of marty's...

any thoughts that AJ does things directly to make marty upset are silly... football is a business....

(remember, AJ has to protect HIS job too...)

Smitty probably got a free pass this season, Marty probably won't.

Chargeroo
04-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Money is issue with Arrington talks Sun, Apr. 09, 2006

.... The Giants reportedly stepped back last week when Arrington's agent, Carl Poston, threw out numbers in the seven-year, $54 million range, with a signing-bonus demand of $14 million. . .No team will sign him for that kind of money. That's a quick way to end up in cap hell. First you give Arrington that kind of $$, then the other LB's say "I want more money". It's a slippery slope. I read just a day or two ago that the Dolphins also still want him but the money is stopping them.

HeadTrip
04-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Arrington isn't an undrafted Free Agent, or a medium priced UFA, there's no way that Smitty signs him.

Nor should he for that absurd price. I don't know how a guy who didn't even start last year can ask for that much money.

TJ21
04-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Nor should he for that absurd price. I don't know how a guy who didn't even start last year can ask for that much money.
The Postons are how. Such bad agents... ugh.

Merrimanjersey
04-10-2006, 12:35 AM
How cool would that be to have Arrington, Merriman and D'Qwell Jackson at linebacker. Seems like those 3 guys would just motivate each other and make a ton of plays together.

Probably pretty unrealistic to expect to get Arrington and also D'Qwell since we have other needs, but it is nice to dream sometimes.

Does anybody know if Merriman has any kind of a relationship with D'Qwell Jackson (not gay).

LTfan4life
04-10-2006, 06:31 AM
How cool would that be to have Arrington, Merriman and D'Qwell Jackson at linebacker. Seems like those 3 guys would just motivate each other and make a ton of plays together.

Probably pretty unrealistic to expect to get Arrington and also D'Qwell since we have other needs, but it is nice to dream sometimes.

Does anybody know if Merriman has any kind of a relationship with D'Qwell Jackson (not gay).

Probably, since they were Maryland's stud LBs. Merriman seems just like that type of guy. He passes his knowledge to D'Qwell after he learned from LaVar.

JCDavey
04-10-2006, 11:49 AM
maybe saints could get him, wasn't it rumored they wanted a LB?

bolts4ever21
04-10-2006, 01:22 PM
I'll say one thing, "Who ever finally gets Arrington (when he lowers his asking price) will get one hell of a LB"

TJ21
04-10-2006, 01:33 PM
I'll say one thing, "Who ever finally gets Arrington (when he lowers his asking price) will get one hell of a LB"
I agree. I mean, if he does lower his asking price at this time we have the most money to go out and get him... So why is it such an improbability? Because AJ is too conservative...

Ikeman83
04-10-2006, 02:26 PM
I agree. I mean, if he does lower his asking price at this time we have the most money to go out and get him... So why is it such an improbability? Because AJ is too conservative...

Lavar being an 4-3 OLB, could he become a 3-4 ILB? If he could make the transition like Donnie did, I could see a huge improvement for the team. My other question is, are we holding back on Arrington because Godfrey didn't retire?

TJ21
04-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Lavar being an 4-3 OLB, could he become a 3-4 ILB? If he could make the transition like Donnie did, I could see a huge improvement for the team. My other question is, are we holding back on Arrington because Godfrey didn't retire?
I think he'd make a fine enough 3-4 ILB or OLB, he has seemingly infinite talent and I'm sure he'd easily challenge anyone for their respective jobs.

hoopdreams
04-10-2006, 02:54 PM

He has always done better in a 3-4 scheme. He likes to free-lance on the field and play zone coverages. This is part of the reason he left the Skins in the first place. Anyway, I think he is a perfect fit for San Diego but we already have some solid linebackers. Unless Foley or Arrington could move to MLB there isn't much sense in getting the guy.

He is too expensive for AJ to go after when OLB is the least of our worries. I would love to see Arrington in Blue and Gold but I don't think it's going to happen.

foty89
04-10-2006, 03:30 PM
I think he'd make a fine enough 3-4 ILB or OLB, he has seemingly infinite talent and I'm sure he'd easily challenge anyone for their respective jobs.

Too bad he has never lived up to that talent level. I don't think he is the superstar he thinks he is, or for that matter some here. However, I can him being a solid player. His main problem seems to be with coaching and doing what he is suppose to do. If he could learn to listen to coaches, he might just be the star he THINKS he is.

Go Bolts!

rcali bolt hed
04-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Again i believe its about chemistry player to player, coach to coach ,coach to player, and most important GM to coach. We all know the history merriman and lavar have so that would help.One thing we need to understand about this younger generation of player is that there not neccessarily Gangasta or purposly defiant. Its more about respect. To be talk to not down to .And no way am i saying to coddle no way!I have had employees much like lavar.Yes money is an issue of course.But when i started to train them with more of a bro attitude ,their understanding of work and production quality increased greatly.That translated to me as more profit.

rcali bolt hed
04-11-2006, 10:55 AM
it seems he will end up in jacksonville or miami greenbay would be anther choice of his.

hoopdreams
04-11-2006, 12:39 PM
it seems he will end up in jacksonville or miami greenbay would be anther choice of his.

The Giants are the number one suitor. Cincinnati still has an offer on the table as well.

bolts4ever21
04-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Maybe he doesn't see San Diego as a possibility because he can't get his number 56. He is only 27 years old. Some one is going to get some good wear from this LB.

Get Merriman on the phone to Arrington... quickly

BoltsPride
04-11-2006, 03:26 PM
How much are the Chargers really in need of improving at the LB position ?. Not very much IMO. Merriman, Edwards, Foley, Godfrey, Cooper, Phillips, and Wilhem ( if he re-signs) are a pretty good bunch. So would it be a smart move to spend big bucks on Arrington. If his price tag drops a lot, then maybe we should give it some consideration, otherwise lets save the money to sign draft picks, or to help us get a FA at a position we really need to upgrade at, such as OL, WR/KR, or CB. If the Chargers were able to sign him at some point, maybe Merriman would be willing to give up 56, and go back to 91 .. :)...