PDA

View Full Version : Arrington accepts jags offer

JCDavey
03-25-2006, 06:38 PM
according to nfl network, but i'm still looking for a confirmation link online

Shamrock
03-25-2006, 07:23 PM
http://jaguars.com/mb/default.aspx?f=6&r=x

Just looked at that Jags forum, and they are all still wondering. No confirmation.

TJ21
03-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Nice going AJ. I guess we really used all that cap-room... :rolleyes:

So who's left now? Kenny Wright? No-name guys like that basically. And who have we lost? Drew Brees. Reche Caldwell. Ben Leber. DeQuincy Scott. Justin Peele. All relatively well known names... :mad:

JoeMcRugby
03-25-2006, 08:07 PM

So who's left now? Kenny Wright? No-name guys like that basically. And who have we lost? Drew Brees - injured QB. Reche Caldwell - 4th WR - at best. Ben Leber - special teams OLB who only plays when starters are injured. DeQuincy Scott - backup DE who is a horrible fit for the 3-4. Justin Peele - back up TE who was replaced by Shea who is reportedly . All relatively well known names... :mad:

All backups with the exception of Brees - who might have been the backup anyway based on PR's progress after he takes all the first team offensive snaps for the next three months.

Patriot, Steeler and Colts fans are *******g and screaming at their clueless GMs as we speak.

I'll wait until training camp starts before I tie AJ to the stake and light the fire. :Bolt:

BCBoltFan
03-25-2006, 08:07 PM

So who's left now? Kenny Wright? No-name guys like that basically. And who have we lost? Drew Brees. Reche Caldwell. Ben Leber. DeQuincy Scott. Justin Peele. All relatively well known names... :mad:
Other than Drew and DQ, I don't think we'll miss the other guys that much. Ben was good, but missed 1/2 of last season, he's pretty much been replaced, and I think or core group of LB's with our up and comers is solid. Peele and Caldwell are OK, but have and will be easily replaced.

I don't think what we've lost is as big as what we could have improved. Not saying that we should have dropped our pants for Hutch, I know Bentley is heading home etc, but...

I am happy signing McCree and Shea I think will be an upgrade from Peele. :Beer:

TJ21
03-25-2006, 08:15 PM
All backups with the exception of Brees - who might have been the backup anyway based on PR's progress after he takes all the first team offensive snaps for the next three months.

Patriot, Steeler and Colts fans are *******g and screaming at their clueless GMs as we speak.

I'll wait until training camp starts before I tie AJ to the stake and light the fire. :Bolt:
Why would Steelers and Colts fans be screaming at their GM? The Colts signed their biggest need: a kicker, and the Steelers just won a superbowl...

It's not a matter of why we didn't resign our FA players (believe, the reasons have been beaten into my head enough) it's the fact that we've not only lost a bunch of solid backups and a star QB, but that we have done so with trying to compensate at all in the position we have so many glaring needs in.

The Saints claim ticket sales are way up because of Drew.

On the New England boards, there are numerous threads about whether Caldwell should be #1 or not.

The Vikings will probably start Leber, who was great for us in 2004. Fran Foley also snatched up DQ, one of our most vocal leaders.

The Dolphins seem to feel for Peele, the same way we feel about Shea... like he's a solid backup.

I'm very happy with McCree, but the fact is AJ has failed in FA so far. I trust him and I think he's a draft wizard, but this is the second consecutive season that we've been completely inactive. Despite the assurances and predictions of several members otherwise.

I guess we will have some cap-room left over... :-/

TJ21
03-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Other than Drew and DQ, I don't think we'll miss the other guys that much. Ben was good, but missed 1/2 of last season, he's pretty much been replaced, and I think or core group of LB's with our up and comers is solid. Peele and Caldwell are OK, but have and will be easily replaced.

I don't think what we've lost is as big as what we could have improved. Not saying that we should have dropped our pants for Hutch, I know Bentley is heading home etc, but...

I am happy signing McCree and Shea I think will be an upgrade from Peele. :Beer:
I feel the same way...

JoeMcRugby
03-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Why would Steelers and Colts fans be screaming at their GM? The Colts signed their biggest need: a kicker, and the Steelers just won a superbowl...

It's not a matter of why we didn't resign our FA players (believe, the reasons have been beaten into my head enough) it's the fact that we've not only lost a bunch of solid backups and a star QB, but that we have done so with trying to compensate at all in the position we have so many glaring needs in.

On the New England boards, there are numerous threads about whether Caldwell should be #1 or not.

The Vikings will probably start Leber, who was great for us in 2004. Fran Foley also snatched up DQ, one of our most vocal leaders.

The Dolphins seem to feel for Peele, the same way we feel about Shea... like he's a solid backup.

I'm very happy with McCree, but the fact is AJ has failed in FA so far. I trust him and I think he's a draft wizard, but this is the second consecutive season that we've been completely inactive. Despite the assurances and predictions of several members otherwise.

Because the Colts let their biggest free agent walk away with no compensation, the most accurate FG kicker in NFL history walk out the door with no compensation and they're not doing jack in free agency - besides the mid-level free agent signing they made to replace the NFL all-time kicker leader's spot on the roster - the same thing they've done for the past half-decade.

And the Steelers have let four of their starters walk out the door with no compensation - BTW the same thing the losers have done every year for the past decade. They just won't spend their cap money - except to sign their key players to long-term contracts over the next few months.

The Patriots - ditto.

The Chargers will spend all of their cap money as they have every season since the cap was enacted - on mid-level free agents to fill specific needs, in the draft and to extend the contracts of core players - just like the Steelers, Patriots and Colts do.

Free agency and trading time isn't over - it's just begun. I'll lead the figurative "torching" of AJ if nothing happens with the o-line before training camp.

kcboltfan
03-25-2006, 09:50 PM
If he has signed with the Jags then it is a complete shame. I mean after this article it really sounds like his heart is in the right place. Football means everything to him. :rolleyes:

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/2005...0248-9729r.htm (http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20051228-120248-9729r.htm)

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/2005...729r_page2.htm

Have fun with him Jax. I am sure he will bust his butt for you. :p

Boltfan92153
03-25-2006, 10:01 PM
We did not need him, we have Shawne, Steve, and Shaun Philips.

JCDavey
03-25-2006, 10:22 PM

I guess we will have some cap-room left over... :-/what i've bolded is a lie , if the saints really said that, because i saw an article on espn over a week before they even were front runners for drew, about how the saints ticket sales were going "awesome"

don't let yourself get fooled into thinking drew made the difference in ticket sales, because there is proof to contradict that.

JCDavey
03-25-2006, 10:27 PM
from a march 3rd article -

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2352598&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Updated: March 3, 2006, 11:57 AM ET
Season ticket sales for Saints going 'awesome'

Associated Press

http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/ESPN_In_House_Marketing/Mar_2006/espn-146x46-0004.gif (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2352598&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines#)

NEW ORLEANS -- Without the team running a single advertisement, renewals for New Orleans Saints (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nor) season tickets are nearly four times what they were a year ago.
Between 20,000 and 25,000 ticket holders have made deposits for 2006, when the Saints are expected to return to New Orleans following a vagabond season in San Antonio and Baton Rouge.
"Awesome," said Rita Benson LeBlanc, the team's executive vice president of administration. "Our invoices have just gone out, so we're really ahead of what would be a normal schedule."
Part of the surge has been the result of many ticket holders having money remaining in their accounts because of the cancellation of the New Orleans games last season, the team said.
Other interest, the team said, is likely being generated by the offering of more than 20,000 seats at $35 or less. This year's package consists of eight games instead of nine or 10 because home exhibition games will be played at other venues around the state.
Team officials also pointed to the hiring of new coach Sean Payton and the fact the Saints have the second pick in the NFL draft.
The Saints' first home game at the renovated and repaired Superdome is tentatively scheduled for Sept. 24, though the NFL has said the date could be adjusted for national television. The complete schedule will be announced in the coming weeks.
"This is one of the most exciting offseasons we've had in a while," Benson LeBlanc said.
The team's chief financial officer, Dennis Lauscha, said the Saints revamped the ticket office immediately upon returning to the city.
"We came back and ramped up immediately. They hit the ground calling. And we've been in full force making phone calls," Lauscha said. "That's 15 people making outbound calls all day, both on the suite side and the ticket side. That has more to do with it than anything."

so obviously when the saints are saying brees increased season ticket sales, they are lying little bishes :)

LTfan4life
03-25-2006, 11:37 PM
The Chargers will spend all of their cap money as they have every season since the cap was enacted - on mid-level free agents to fill specific needs, in the draft and to extend the contracts of core players - just like the Steelers, Patriots and Colts do.

Just wondering Joe...who's enterting a contract year this year that we may extend their deal? I've been wondering this for a while...

mk87
03-25-2006, 11:40 PM
what i've bolded is a lie , if the saints really said that, because i saw an article on espn over a week before they even were front runners for drew, about how the saints ticket sales were going "awesome"

don't let yourself get fooled into thinking drew made the difference in ticket sales, because there is proof to contradict that.

If Tahirjon got the impression that ticket sales are up because of Brees from the Scott and BR interview, I think he misunderstood Brees. No one is a liar.

Brees essentially did mention the ticket sales increasing and doing better, but he didn't imply that it was because of him. He clearly stated that the city want to keep its football team and that's its way of showing support, but he did imply that he's going to do his best to not let the city's efforts down.

Shamrock
03-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Just wondering Joe...who's enterting a contract year this year that we may extend their deal? I've been wondering this for a while...
Off the top of my head ......

Dielman and Cooper have signed their RFA tenders and will be UFA (Unrestricted Free Agents) following the 2006 season. Wilhelm has also been tendered a RFA contract, but has yet to sign, and he could be in the same situation.

Shaun Phillips and Shane Olivea are entering the final year of their rookie contracts and will be RFA's following the 2006 season.

Jammer is signed through the 2007 season, and might also be a candidate for extension.

BoltsfanNYC
03-25-2006, 11:47 PM
um... We lost out on every Tackle.... the top guards.... top WR...Safeties and so far top CB.... besides that this off season is swell.

LTfan4life
03-25-2006, 11:50 PM

Dielman and Cooper have signed their RFA tenders and will be UFA (Unrestricted Free Agents) following the 2006 season. Wilhelm has also been tendered a RFA contract, but has yet to sign, and he could be in the same situation.

Shaun Phillips and Shane Olivea are entering the final year of their rookie contracts and will be RFA's following the 2006 season.

Jammer is signed through the 2007 season, and might also be a candidate for extension.

Thanks Shammy! I think most of those guys'll be getting extended. I can see Jammer getting an extention during the season, depending on how he does. I'm a huge supporter of Shaun Phillips, as I believe he could be as good as Merriman on the other side, after FOley is done. Olivea has been consistent for the most part, and he could be an even better guard. Wilhelm and Coop can compete for the two ILB spots in the near future, and Dielman is one of the better young Guards. I'd like to see em all stay for awhile. :)

Sanitation Man
03-25-2006, 11:58 PM
If Tahirjon got the impression that ticket sales are up because of Brees from the Scott and BR interview, I think he misunderstood Brees. No one is a liar.

Brees essentially did mention the ticket sales increasing and doing better, but he didn't imply that it was because of him. He clearly stated that the city want to keep its football team and that's its way of showing support, but he did imply that he's going to do his best to not let the city's efforts down.

Forget that interview, Brees was on The Best Damn Sports Show Period a couple nights ago and (I believe) Chris Rose or Michael Strahan asked him if he felt good about his decision. Brees said he felt great because he felt NO had the most confidence in him and the Saints fans showed support by purchasing season tickets in record numbers (20K - 25K additional since his signing)!

What a pile of crap! What else do you expect from a city who would rather fix up the French Quarter for Mardi Gras instead of using that money in rebuilding the homes and lives of their very own...

JoeMcRugby
03-26-2006, 12:00 AM

In addition to the players Shammy noted, here's what I have in regard to free agency:

Milligan, Jordan, Godfrey, and Parker will be unrestricted free agents after 2006. Parker is an obvious candidate for a contract extension in the near future.

Kaeding, Krause, Hardwick and Turner will be restricted free agents. All except Krause (unless he finally gets healthy) are definite candidates for contract extensions since Kaeding, Hardwick and Turner might be hot commodities in the RFA market in 2007 and they're likely to be far more expensive to sign once they start sniffing the UFA year.

The rest are practice squad / developmental guys who will only be exclusive rights free agents in 2007 (guys like Marques Harris).

But as Shammy noted, there are a few guys like Jammer who the Chargers will like to lock up before they start sniffing UFA in 2007. Those guys will also eat up some of the 2007 cap space. :Bolt:

mk87
03-26-2006, 12:19 AM
Forget that interview, Brees was on The Best Damn Sports Show Period a couple nights ago and (I believe) Chris Rose or Michael Strahan asked him if he felt good about his decision. Brees said he felt great because he felt NO had the most confidence in him and the Saints fans showed support by purchasing season tickets in record numbers (20K - 25K additional since his signing)!

What a pile of crap! What else do you expect from a city who would rather fix up the French Quarter for Mardi Gras instead of using that money in rebuilding the homes and lives of their very own...
Don't mind my ignorance... I don't have cable so I can't watch ESPN to keep track of my team and players, but I did watch this:

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=79487c02-ad1a-4f90-826a-bee373d5d4d5&f=33/64

Is that the same interview you're talking about? Well, I've watched it twice , earlier this morning and just now to verify what you said, and nothing was mentioned regarding ticket prices. However, I could be wrong... people have accused me of having ADD. :(

That money can go to rebuild homes and reconstruct the community, but this is a way to contribute from a professional football aspect. I'm pretty sure rebuilding homes and doing the best to keep the football in New Orleans can co-exist. One more thing, someone else can argue the same about the Chargers. San Diego is having pension problem and the Chargers are asking for a new stadium... so:confused:.

Boltjolt
03-26-2006, 12:35 AM

So your saying they dont have any holes at all to plug?

Who cares! The firing of their coach probably did that as well.

Leber was great? BS..i never liked Leber and im glad he is gone. Leber was terrible in coverage and wasnt a good blitzer.

LOL...let them feel that way. Trust me..Shea isnt a star but he is an upgrade over Peele. It doesnt take much for a Fin fan to get excited. They liked McIntosh too...LOL . When i went there earlier this year and said how McIntosh wasnt that good at all after they were gushing over him....my post got deleted. Then they release him. Yep, they know what they are talking about.

Yes it is frustrating but what do we do? Over pay for these guys? Minnesota are fools to give Hutch what they did. I hope the $49 million will end up guaranteed. Seattle are fools for giving Burleson what they did.
Runyon didnt want to come here, and i dont want Townsend.

I dont know what Lavar got but im sure it is huge.
The only possition that would have been nice to spend on was OT imo. The only one left is Hopkins that is any good. He would be a short term signing.

BoltzRule
03-26-2006, 12:43 AM
Is there any link for this? Or is it just a rumor?

Boltjolt
03-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Is there any link for this? Or is it just a rumor?

I was just looking and there is nothing at either NFL.com or ESPN

mdsd77
03-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Thank whoever...

that guys is a pain in the arse, hes a sue happy beyatch.

always thinking hes owed something...

only bummer is Jax is the team headed to Los Angeles and we'll have to hear about his lame arse for years to come.

ryry2104
03-26-2006, 08:24 AM

i know ben leber's replacement is'nt even close to as good as ben leber

JUST KIDDING, i love shawne merriman

but leber was an alright special teamer

TJ21
03-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Because the Colts let their biggest free agent walk away with no compensation, the most accurate FG kicker in NFL history walk out the door with no compensation and they're not doing jack in free agency - besides the mid-level free agent signing they made to replace the NFL all-time kicker leader's spot on the roster - the same thing they've done for the past half-decade.

And the Steelers have let four of their starters walk out the door with no compensation - BTW the same thing the losers have done every year for the past decade. They just won't spend their cap money - except to sign their key players to long-term contracts over the next few months.

The Patriots - ditto.

Free agency and trading time isn't over - it's just begun. I'll lead the figurative "torching" of AJ if nothing happens with the o-line before training camp.
Obviously something will happen in the draft, but the draft is never as good an assurance to imporve key positions as free agency.

AJ should sign Colombo.

TJ21
03-26-2006, 08:52 AM
So your saying they dont have any holes at all to plug?

Who cares! The firing of their coach probably did that as well.

Leber was great? BS..i never liked Leber and im glad he is gone. Leber was terrible in coverage and wasnt a good blitzer.

LOL...let them feel that way. Trust me..Shea isnt a star but he is an upgrade over Peele. It doesnt take much for a Fin fan to get excited. They liked McIntosh too...LOL . When i went there earlier this year and said how McIntosh wasnt that good at all after they were gushing over him....my post got deleted. Then they release him. Yep, they know what they are talking about.

Yes it is frustrating but what do we do? Over pay for these guys? Minnesota are fools to give Hutch what they did. I hope the $49 million will end up guaranteed. Seattle are fools for giving Burleson what they did.
Runyon didnt want to come here, and i dont want Townsend.

I dont know what Lavar got but im sure it is huge.
The only possition that would have been nice to spend on was OT imo. The only one left is Hopkins that is any good. He would be a short term signing.
There are more options left than Hopkins...

JoeMcRugby
03-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Obviously something will happen in the draft, but the draft is never as good an assurance to imporve key positions as free agency.

AJ should sign Colombo.

Don't rule out a trade ala Roman Oben as teams put together their projected o-lines after the draft.

TJ21
03-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Don't rule out a trade ala Roman Oben as teams put together their projected o-lines after the draft.
Good point...

JCDavey
03-26-2006, 09:09 AM

AJ should sign Colombo.yeah but if we sign a LB to play merriman's position last year and not draft him, then we wouldn't have such a great LB like merriman.

we may end up drafting guys who are better than what we could have signed

Shamrock
03-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Latest KFFL news on Arrington:

Jaguars | Arrington has good visit
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:59:28 -0800

The Florida Times-Union reports free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) had a good meeting with the Jacksonville Jaguars Saturday, March 25, according to Jaguars senior vice president Paul Vance. "We like him as a player and we like him as a person,'' Vance said. Arrington stayed in Jacksonville Saturday night after spending the day with Jaguars' officials and was scheduled to leave Sunday morning, March 26. Arrington has indicated he's looking for a contract in the range of the seven-year $54 million deal that LB Julian Peterson got from the Seattle Seahawks. Vance declined to characterize the status of the negotiations except to say that talks will continue.

Boltjolt
03-26-2006, 10:41 AM
There are more options left than Hopkins...

And who might that be ...im talkin about the OL. Columbo is ALWAYS hurt. He misses a lot of games.

No thanks

I dont like any of the CB's either

SUPERBOLTSCHAMP
03-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Damn man, I really want LaVar to be a Charger along with Merriman. Oh well, JUST ANOTHER DAY AS A CHARGER FAN:rolleyes:

THANKS AJ!!!!!

LT LT LT
03-26-2006, 03:39 PM
7 years 54 million on Lavar Arrington is a very bad idea. He has got to be kidding! This guy won't be a charger and that is okay because he would be a back up and why would u pay a back up that much

TheIceCreamMan
03-26-2006, 03:42 PM
omg, AJ can u get sumeome, that remotley signals u care about the team!!!!!!

SUPERBOLTSCHAMP
03-26-2006, 03:51 PM
7 years 54 million on Lavar Arrington is a very bad idea. He has got to be kidding! This guy won't be a charger and that is okay because he would be a back up and why would u pay a back up that much
are u on crack man?????
LaVar a back up, u gotta be kidding me.:rolleyes:
He's young, talented, a BEAST LB, A BEASTTTT.
Consider our Foley and Edward is aging fast, LaVar is our safe bet AT ANY COST.:Football: :Helmet: :Bolt:

Bur then again

Thanks AJ!!!!!

LT LT LT
03-26-2006, 03:54 PM
He was a back up last year in Washington. He will not come in and immediatley take foley's job or merriman. He won't play ILB so... Where would u start him?

TheIceCreamMan
03-26-2006, 03:58 PM
hw wuld def take foley or god frey maybe even edwards

Chargers
03-26-2006, 04:00 PM

The only problem is....The Steelers won the Super Bowl, and the Patriots and Colts both made the playoffs. The Bolts made the playoffs in the 2004 season, made little change, and missed the playoffs last season. Can we afford to risk it again?

As much potential PR has to succeed, there is also an equal chance that he might struggle. It will be no fault of his own, but it's very possible.

SUPERBOLTSCHAMP
03-26-2006, 04:01 PM
He was a back up last year in Washington. He will not come in and immediatley take foley's job or merriman. He won't play ILB so... Where would u start him?
He can replace foley or even edward. But he definitly will play ILB IF Marty ask him to:Beer:

JoeMcRugby
03-26-2006, 04:08 PM
The only problem is....The Steelers won the Super Bowl, and the Patriots and Colts both made the playoffs. The Bolts made the playoffs in the 2004 season, made little change, and missed the playoffs last season. Can we afford to risk it again?

How did the Steelers get to the point of winning the Super Bowl? By following the consistent strategy of not throwing stupid money at "big name" free agents. Did they freak out and change their strategy after having several near misses? No.

How did the Pats get to the point where they won their first Super Bowl? By following the consistent strategy of not throwing stupid money at "big name" free agents. Did the Pats change their philosophy after missing the playoffs in 2002? No.

How did the Colts get to the point where they are consistent Super Bowl contenders year-in, year-out. By following the consistent strategy of not throwing stupid money at "big name" free agents. Are they freaking out and changing their strategy due to their several near misses over the past few years? No.

Are the Chargers continuing in following the same team building strategy in the mold of the Colts, Steelers and Patriots that has only been in place for two years in San Diego after poor use of the cap money led to 8 years of pitiful football? Thankfully, they are continuing with the same strategy. :Bolt:

SUPERBOLTSCHAMP
03-26-2006, 04:14 PM
How did the Steelers get to the point of winning the Super Bowl? By following the consistent strategy of not throwing stupid money at "big name" free agents. Did they freak out and change their strategy after having several near misses? No.

Are the Chargers continuing in following the same team building strategy in the mold of the Colts, Steelers and Patriots that has only been in place for two years in San Diego after poor use of the cap money led to 8 years of pitiful football? Thankfully, they are continuing with the same strategy. :Bolt:
They didn't have to, because they got good player for all positions:Helmet:

56lightsout56
03-26-2006, 04:33 PM
And the no shows will grow and grow IF he doesnt play and their W/L record is below average. the last time this team was legit it had a D line. the argument can be made that this Franchise is probably the worst run in the NFL at the moment regardless of Katrina.

#1??? wait until He starts dropping passes and fumbles. He's a distant #3 at best. one of those half time entertainment frisbee catching dogs displays more desire.

Yes, they can start Leber while WE start Merriman. Leber was fine but he's no Lightsout. DQ is vocal yes, but is marginally productive.

I feel for Peele too, but I'd rather have a better player.

We DO have some CAP room but lets see how it plays out from here.

JoeMcRugby
03-26-2006, 04:52 PM

That doesn't address how they got all of their good players. They've gotten them all through the draft, trades and low-level free agent signings.

That also doesn't address how they replace the three or four starters they lose every year through free agency. In fact, they just lost four starters from their 2005 squad. Did they freak out and go after big name and big money free agents to replace their lost starters?

No. They have a plan and they're following it, just as they've followed the plan for the past 12 years.

The Chargers got on the "plan" late. This is their third offseason since they changed the offseason philosophy that was so successful for them and has proven so successful in the NFL over the past five years.

It's not time to abandon ship. :Bolt:

56lightsout56
03-26-2006, 05:22 PM

I think this article from today's the Enquirer in Cincy lends credence to at least the Patriot Fans ill will:

Vinatieri move angers Pats fans

New England fan base is upset
BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

ORLANDO, Fla. - The loss of kicker Adam Vinatieri has pushed Patriots fans too far.
Fans accepted the losses of wide receiver David Givens and linebacker Willie McGinest, but the defection of Vinatieri was too much. He won two Super Bowls and 19 other games with last-second kicks. He had not missed a game-winning or game-tying kick since 1999.
Talk radio is angry. Coach Bill Belichick, who won three Super Bowls for the Patriots, is being criticized. And even owner Bob Kraft made sure to distance himself from the decision.

Vinatieri is the most high-profile Patriots player to leave New England this offseason, although the list is growing.
Belichick has made no moves in free agency, though the Patriots are about $20 million under the cap. Word is the Patriots are trying to use some of that money to extend the contracts of defensive lineman Richard Seymour and wide receiver Deion Branch, which expire after the 2006 season.
Seymour said there have been talks but that the numbers being discussed were nowhere near what it would take to extend his deal and cause him to give up his first shot at free agency next March.

you could almost substitute the words "AJ" and "San Diego" for Belichick and Patriots

And while were discussing drafting accumen, I am certainly glad this guy wasnt making our picks and which is in the same article:

TURNOVER: Former Browns coach Butch Davis, who was de facto general manager, made 29 draft picks from 2001 through 2004 in Cleveland.
Only eight are left after two offseasons of general manager Phil Savage's slashing. The not-so-elite eight from Davis' drafts - 2001 draft: None; 2002: RB William Green (one-dimensional backup) and ILB Andra Davis (quality starter); 2003: OLB Chaun Thompson (developmental starter), RB Lee Suggs (injury-prone backup), LS Ryan Pontbriand (he does one thing - snap the ball); 2004: TE Kellen Winslow Jr. (injured reserve his first two seasons), S Sean Jones (blew starting chance last year), OT Kirk Chambers (brainy backup tackle).

comparing this to AJ's trck record in virtually the same time frame and a clear picture begins to emerge in AJs talent assessment acquity. To be fair, I think Jimmy Raye and Buddy Nix also bring a lot to the table in this area.

Link:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article

ChargerDawg
03-26-2006, 06:13 PM
lol...

the Browns have absolutely hated Butch Davis Drafts.

For the most part he only chose players that he knew of in college. His other picks were stretches, combine workout wonders (chaun thomspon) that are still learning at the pro level.

and the icing on cake was a player called Jerimah Pharms, who was arrested and I believe sent to jail.

having the coach make the personnel decision is too big of a job. Unless the coach has a quality scouting department and understands that he is not the supreme talent evaluator.

The Gerrard Warren pick was classic.. Most staff wanted Seymor or LT.

In fairness, anthony henry was a good 4th round pick that is a good pro. chris crocker and michael lehan were also decent choices.

the KW2 trade up lost a high second round pick. No one questions the broken leg, but the motorcycle accident still hurts. Roy williams and tommy lehan start for the lions.

BoltzRule
03-27-2006, 12:04 AM

Like Joe said, the Steelers put themselves in that position by drafting well and signing lesser known guys. They let guys leave all the time.

The only difference is the Steelers have had a solid front office/coaching staff for a long time, and the Chargers haven't. In 2 seasons we went from a few bright spots to a lot of them. Even though Butler wasn't great he still brought in some much needed talent and when he tried to do the quick fix by signing big name FAs that back fired.

Ikeman83
03-27-2006, 07:44 AM

The main sources of revenue for NO, meaning the city itself and the population, are, besides the service industry, tourism and international shipping. Mardi Gras gets them probably half of their tourism income each year. What's the point of rebuilding homes if the people get evicted from them because they have no means to earn income?

Stick to football, I don't think economics is your thing.

boltsfan1455
03-27-2006, 07:50 AM

How did the Pats get to the point where they won their first Super Bowl? By following the consistent strategy of not throwing stupid money at "big name" free agents. Did the Pats change their philosophy after missing the playoffs in 2002? No.

How did the Colts get to the point where they are consistent Super Bowl contenders year-in, year-out. By following the consistent strategy of not throwing stupid money at "big name" free agents. Are they freaking out and changing their strategy due to their several near misses over the past few years? No.

I agree totally we have a plan lets stick to it.

Ikeman83
03-27-2006, 07:52 AM
yeah but if we sign a LB to play merriman's position last year and not draft him, then we wouldn't have such a great LB like merriman.

we may end up drafting guys who are better than what we could have signed

You can start rookie LBs, you can start rookie safeties, and rookie DLinemen and RBs... but if you think you can start a rookie Offensive lineman and have him be as good as the top FA prospects that were available this year, you are out of your mind.

ghost
03-27-2006, 08:04 AM
but if you think you can start a rookie Offensive lineman and have him be as good as the top FA prospects that were available this year, you are out of your mind. - Ikeman

Care to explain the performance of the Chargers offensive line in 2004 when the Chargers had rookies starting at Center and at Right Tackle in the form of Hardwick and Olivea?

Ikeman83
03-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Care to explain the performance of the Chargers offensive line in 2004 when the Chargers had rookies starting at Center and at Right Tackle in the form of Hardwick and Olivea?

Was Hardwick a Pro Bowl Center in 2004?

Was Olivea a Pro Bowl Tackle in 2004?

That's one difference, and another that can be clearly seen is in the 2004 wild card game where our O-line was manhandled by the Jets front four.

Did Nick and Shane play well for rookies? Yes, they played great, but they didn't play as well as the veterans did. Runyan and Ashworth both had better seasons, as did Bentley, three FAs available this offseason that the Chargers did not even attempt to acquire.

There is a difference between "good for a rookie" and elite, and we had a chance to get some elite talent on the line this offseason and haven't done so.

SUPERBOLTSCHAMP
03-27-2006, 12:44 PM
That doesn't address how they got all of their good players. They've gotten them all through the draft, trades and low-level free agent signings.

That also doesn't address how they replace the three or four starters they lose every year through free agency. In fact, they just lost four starters from their 2005 squad. Did they freak out and go after big name and big money free agents to replace their lost starters?

No. They have a plan and they're following it, just as they've followed the plan for the past 12 years.

The Chargers got on the "plan" late. This is their third offseason since they changed the offseason philosophy that was so successful for them and has proven so successful in the NFL over the past five years.

It's not time to abandon ship. :Bolt:

AND YET in 12 years they only won 1 just now( by the help of the zebra, but that's for another thread)
Do you honestly want to WAIT FOR ANOTHER 12 YEARS OR SO FOR OUR CHARGER TO WIN THE SUPERBOWL????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????
I know I CAN"TTTTTT:rolleyes:

HeadTrip
03-27-2006, 01:17 PM
AND YET in 12 years they only won 1 just now( by the help of the zebra, but that's for another thread)
Do you honestly want to WAIT FOR ANOTHER 12 YEARS OR SO FOR OUR CHARGER TO WIN THE SUPERBOWL????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????

Their "only" one SB win in 12 years is a lot more than our ZERO wins. Like it or not, this is the model for success in the NFL these days. You need to spend your money responsibly, not spend it just for the sake of spending it. The Chargers have a very specific kind of team built, and guys like Runyun and Ashworth obviously didn't fit in with what they are trying to do.

Remember, AJ tried to get Bentley, but he wanted to go to Clevland. Just because our first choice is taken doesn't mean we should settle for players we don't really want.

JCDavey
03-27-2006, 05:39 PM
some guy on the gtp chargers board is saying arrington will be a giant by april 2nd, and the leaking of the jags story was done by the postons to make the giants drive up their price

take it for what that's worth , but he says it comes from an inside source and the poster has been pretty credible in the past

hoopdreams
03-27-2006, 05:55 PM

12 years isn't a very long time. Yes, we would all like to see the Chargers win the Superbowl every year but that's not realistic. There are 32 teams in the NFL. Only one team wins each year. You can do the math.

TheIceCreamMan
03-27-2006, 05:58 PM
did Lavar sign or no?

hoopdreams
03-27-2006, 05:59 PM
did Lavar sign or no?

No he hasn't signed yet.

JCDavey
03-27-2006, 05:59 PM
did Lavar sign or no?no, appears to have been a leaked story , to drive up the price , and to make adam schefter look retarded haha

Shamrock
03-27-2006, 06:02 PM
did Lavar sign or no?

No. He has not signed yet.

ESPN News reported earlier that the Jaguars, Dolphins and Giants are all still interested. All this other stuff is just speculation without substantiation.

TheIceCreamMan
03-27-2006, 06:06 PM
are we even intrested?

SUPERBOLTSCHAMP
03-27-2006, 06:09 PM
12 years isn't a very long time. Yes, we would all like to see the Chargers win the Superbowl every year but that's not realistic. There are 32 teams in the NFL. Only one team wins each year. You can do the math.
So now you want to wait for another 10+ years or so after all those 40 years superbowllesss. I admire your patient dude. But that;s nonsense.
The Charger is 1 or 2 players away from the ultimate #1 team . That's why I am pushing for siging quality FAs like LaVar, Bently, Neal, . Those are good players. That 's not "spend it just for the sake of spending it"(by Headtrip).
That would be GOOD SPENDING:Helmet:

Boltjolt
03-27-2006, 06:11 PM
some guy on the gtp chargers board is saying arrington will be a giant by april 2nd, and the leaking of the jags story was done by the postons to make the giants drive up their price

take it for what that's worth , but he says it comes from an inside source and the poster has been pretty credible in the past

I certainly dont expect him to sign with us . I doubt we even talk to him.

BoltzRule
03-27-2006, 11:46 PM
You can start rookie LBs, you can start rookie safeties, and rookie DLinemen and RBs... but if you think you can start a rookie Offensive lineman and have him be as good as the top FA prospects that were available this year, you are out of your mind.

Bentley and Hutch were the only Elite FA prospects. Bentley went home and there wasn't a chance anyone else would get him.

Then there were several teams trying to get 1 player, the Vikings overpaid to get him, we'll see if he's worth it.

Also your probowl argument doesn't hold much weight because Oline is more of a reputation spot than it is your preformance during the season. I'm not saying either Hardwick or Olivea had pro-bowl seasons though.

So basically you're complaining that we didn't get the 1 elite Oline Prospect "available".

Alibell1
03-28-2006, 08:12 AM
So now you want to wait for another 10+ years or so after all those 40 years superbowllesss. I admire your patient dude. But that;s nonsense.
The Charger is 1 or 2 players away from the ultimate #1 team . That's why I am pushing for siging quality FAs like LaVar, Bently, Neal, . Those are good players. That 's not "spend it just for the sake of spending it"(by Headtrip).
That would be GOOD SPENDING:Helmet:

The Chargers are a very solid team, but they are not an offensive lineman away from being the "ultimate #1 team".

Dojo
03-28-2006, 11:50 AM
The Chargers are a very solid team, but they are not an offensive lineman away from being the "ultimate #1 team".
as it sits right now we have a super bowl "CALIBER" squad. The potential to be the #1 team is there, it's whether or not we show it. We proved it at times last year, then shot ourselves in the foot a couple times also. There's not many teams in this league that could say they have a team built for the next ten years to be great. To name a few are the Broncos, Dolphins, Seattle, pitt, and Dallas. That's just a few but any of these teams, or another team i didn't name, could be the next dynasty, the next Patriots. No one (!) seen the Pats doing what they did the past 5 years. The year before they beat the Rams didn't they go like 4-12 or something. They needed just 1 (Tom Brady) or 2 players and look what they did. Anything, and I mean anything, could happen every year in this league. Look at us 2 years ago at this point...Haksaw stated we'de go 0-16 and be the first team not to win a game. All we did was win the AFC West.

TheIceCreamMan
03-28-2006, 01:28 PM
are we even intrested iin Lavar---- and i did 2 i's on purpose to make iin more significant...:p

Bolt4Life
03-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Well the only people we can ever sign are people no one knows about, or it seems like they suck, then once they play for us, they suddenly turn all pro.... must be an aura of AJs :rolleyes:

JCDavey
03-28-2006, 04:09 PM
I say that AJ was lucked out on last years. He also turned away many good FA that could have helped us go to the SUPERBOWL already:rolleyes:so says you, some guy who isn't a GM in the nfl

hoopdreams
03-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I say that AJ was lucked out on last years. He also turned away many good FA that could have helped us go to the SUPERBOWL already:rolleyes:

I'd rather be lucky than good anyway.

JCDavey
03-28-2006, 05:01 PM
So u saying that AJ missing the deal with Bently IS A GOOD THING then??:rolleyes:for what the browns paid? read my typing ....

HELL YES! lol

BlueandGoldRush
03-28-2006, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE So u saying that AJ missing the deal with Bently IS A GOOD THING then??:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

AJ didn't "miss" anything. Bentley wanted to play in his home town, so that's where he signed. Aj, just like the other 31 teams, had no chance. :rolleyes:

Xien24
03-28-2006, 06:18 PM
AJ didn't "miss" anything. Bentley wanted to play in his home town, so that's where he signed. Aj, just like the other 31 teams, had no chance. :rolleyes:Wrong, Bentley atleast visited with other teams but, declined to visit with SD. That really tells you something about how others feel about AJ and his negotiation style(or lack of).

56lightsout56
03-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Dont forget that Bently also had a "gentlemen's" agreement with Philly prior to the start of FA, but bolted to the mistake by the lake when the Browns poined up more coin.

POSTED 1:58 p.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 2:10 p.m. EST, March 11, 2006

BENTLEY GETS $12.5 MILLION GUARANTEED

Sean Jensen of The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that center LeCharles Bentley's contract with the Browns is for six years and $36 million (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/14076261.htm).

The package includes $12.5 million in guaranteed money and averages $6 million per year.

And we're continuing to hear that Bentley had a deal in place with the Eagles, but that the Browns got involved late in the game and offered more money. Even though the Eagles might be miffed, we see it as the price a team pays for working out agreements before the period for properly working out agreements starts.

http://profootballtalk.com/3-11-06.htm

Boltjolt
03-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Wrong, Bentley atleast visited with other teams but, declined to visit with SD. That really tells you something about how others feel about AJ and his negotiation style(or lack of).

I think he had the offer from Cleveland before we contacted him. I dont think AJ had anything to do with it. Besides, Ed Maguire does the contract negotiating. AJ gives input but they all (Dean, Ed, AJ)discuss what they think a player is worth.

JoeMcRugby
03-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Wrong, Bentley atleast visited with other teams but, declined to visit with SD. That really tells you something about how others feel about AJ and his negotiation style(or lack of).

Bentley signed with the Browns 12 hours after free agency opened with his hometown Browns.

He didn't visit with anyone. He drove from his Cleveland area home to the Browns facility to sign the contract.

JCDavey
03-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Wrong, Bentley atleast visited with other teams but, declined to visit with SD. That really tells you something about how others feel about AJ and his negotiation style(or lack of).eh you're just a bitter brees fan, san diego was never given a shot at him, it's pretty factual

phillychargerfan
03-28-2006, 09:34 PM

So tell me, in the 12 whole hours that Bentley was a free agent how many teams did he visit?? What 5 or 6??

mk87
03-28-2006, 10:44 PM
eh you're just a bitter brees fan, san diego was never given a shot at him, it's pretty factual

Such discrimination in here.

JCDavey
03-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Such discrimination in here.and such truth :)

SDFaiderHater
03-29-2006, 08:04 AM

the oline in 2004 was at best good...we've just had such horrible olines for so many years, that when they did a marginally good job, we consider it great...

hoopdreams
03-29-2006, 03:06 PM
the oline in 2004 was at best good...we've just had such horrible olines for so many years, that when they did a marginally good job, we consider it great...

The only difference in 04' was a healthy Fonoti. Other, than losing him our line has remained the same. It kind of tells us something. LG is our weakest spot on the line. Oben is getting older but he and Goff are solid. We still need to draft a LT to replace Oben because he is old and often injured.

mm708
03-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Has Arrington signed?

MMJ4mil
03-29-2006, 04:02 PM
nope not yet.