PDA

View Full Version : Broncos and Javon Walker?

LTisMyHero
03-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Broncos inquire about Walker
<Mar. 28> According to the Rocky Mountain News, the Broncos have contacted the Packers about Walker, who wants out of Green Bay. The Broncos have extra picks in the first and fourth rounds of this year's draft, and likely want to deal the fourth-rounder for Walker.
Walker has made it clear he has no desire to ever play another game for Green Bay. Even if the Packers were to offer Walker a lucrative contract, he would not consider returning.
"If I had to go back there, I'd retire," Walker told ESPN.com's Michael Smith. "I don't have to play. I really have no interest in being in a Green Bay Packers uniform or playing for Green Bay again."
The Packers have said they would listen to proposed deals for Walker, but have yet to grant the wide receiver permission to seek a trade
Walker is entering the final year of a five-year, $6.7 million contract. He underwent reconstructive knee surgery Oct. 7 in Houston to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament and torn meniscus cartilage. Because Walker is damaged goods, the Packers might be fortunate to get even a mid- to late-round pick in return. However, his base salary of $650,000 would be attractive for any team.

Dojo
03-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Broncos inquire about Walker
<Mar. 28> According to the Rocky Mountain News, the Broncos have contacted the Packers about Walker, who wants out of Green Bay. The Broncos have extra picks in the first and fourth rounds of this year's draft, and likely want to deal the fourth-rounder for Walker.
Walker has made it clear he has no desire to ever play another game for Green Bay. Even if the Packers were to offer Walker a lucrative contract, he would not consider returning.
"If I had to go back there, I'd retire," Walker told ESPN.com's Michael Smith. "I don't have to play. I really have no interest in being in a Green Bay Packers uniform or playing for Green Bay again."
The Packers have said they would listen to proposed deals for Walker, but have yet to grant the wide receiver permission to seek a trade
Walker is entering the final year of a five-year, $6.7 million contract. He underwent reconstructive knee surgery Oct. 7 in Houston to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament and torn meniscus cartilage. Because Walker is damaged goods, the Packers might be fortunate to get even a mid- to late-round pick in return. However, his base salary of $650,000 would be attractive for any team.
is it me or do the broncos just go after every big name? Most of the time they don't get it but it always seems to be released in one of their papers. I'm not sure if the Pack will give him up for anything less than a 3 but who knows. I just hope he doesn't consider going to the broncos. I mean, there has to be like 20 other teams going after this guy behind closed doors right?

green_tree725
03-28-2006, 12:52 PM
The chargers need to make at least an attempt on getting him. He could be dynamic with PR. and we have an extra 3rd rounder too.

Al "T.D." Bundy
03-28-2006, 12:59 PM
The chargers need to make at least an attempt on getting him. He could be dynamic with PR. and we have an extra 3rd rounder too.

I for one would love to see Walker in a Charger uniform, and a third round pick is not too high of an asking price.

Of course, he will more than likely want his contract restructred so it will cost some more, but AJ usually has a way of making things like that work out so everyone is happy. I'm sure Walker has a ton of suitors and there's more than a few teams looking so he probably has his pick but this would be a good pick up.

LT LT LT
03-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Getting this guy would be a huge upgrade and make this years free agency a big splash for the chargers.

FoutstoJJ
03-28-2006, 01:06 PM
For a third I'd do it.
Funny how the Broncos make all these moves last year, that everyone laughs at and they all paid off, now they continue to make moves this year yet again, will it pay off again?
If it does, I think it makes our front office look silly and inopportunistic.

WakkaWakkaWakka
03-28-2006, 01:12 PM
If AJ wants to provide for the future, then getting Walker would be a good move.

McCardell isn't getting any younger, and we have yet to see what kind of reciever Jackson will become.

JCDavey
03-28-2006, 01:20 PM
what was the severity of his injury? didn't he miss damn near the entire 05 season?

JCDavey
03-28-2006, 01:46 PM
In the first game of the 2005 NFL regular season, Walker injured his ACL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterior_cruciate_ligament) on a 55-yard deep ball from Brett Favre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre) after he pushed off Detroit Lions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Lions) cornerback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornerback) Fernando Bryant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Bryant), putting him on injured reserve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_reserve) for the season.

yeah, acl

bad luck in denver mr walker

LTfan4life
03-28-2006, 01:47 PM
If AJ is smart, he'll trade for him. Give up our extra 3rd rounder, and even a 6th from this year or next year. Walker is a playmaker. Him teamed with Gates and VJ would be a tough task to defend for any team. The only downside about trying to get him is it will limit Parker's and VJ's catches for most of the year...

robanalog
03-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Packers | Team will not trade J. Walker
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:11:26 -0800

ESPNews reports the Green Bay Packers will not trade WR Javon Walker.

Maybe Favre's decision to return rests on this guy's return. He was Brett's fave target for the big play...

lightzout56
03-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Javon Walker is now threatning to retire rather than play in a Packer uniform. The Packers have a lot of needs coming up in the draft so trading a 3rd and 6th round pick in return would be great. The Packers would have to more oppurtunities to fill needs and the Bolts would get a play-making WR that I believe will be needed next year in order for Rivers to succeed.

Rivers couldn't fail if he had LT in the backfield, Gates at TE, and McCardell & Walker split out wide. He would have so many weapons and the Chargers could use their first pick on a CB or OT, depending on best available at that time.

Lightz Out!!!

JCDavey
03-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Javon Walker is now threatning to retire rather than play in a Packer uniform. The Packers have a lot of needs coming up in the draft so trading a 3rd and 6th round pick in return would be great. The Packers would have to more oppurtunities to fill needs and the Bolts would get a play-making WR that I believe will be needed next year in order for Rivers to succeed.

Rivers couldn't fail if he had LT in the backfield, Gates at TE, and McCardell & Walker split out wide. He would have so many weapons and the Chargers could use their first pick on a CB or OT, depending on best available at that time.

Lightz Out!!!unless walkers acl blows up

lightzout56
03-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Dude! A torn ACL isn't as bad as it sounds and players do make a full recovery. Walker has already done it before and another good WR has also made the recovery, Anquan Boldin.

JCDavey
03-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Dude! A torn ACL isn't as bad as it sounds and players do make a full recovery. Walker has already done it before and another good WR has also made the recovery, Anquan Boldin.wait you're telling me walker's already blown his acl twice? jesus christ lol

lightzout56
03-28-2006, 02:20 PM
I believe he blew his knee at Florida St. Not 100% sure though, might have to do a little mor research.

JCDavey
03-28-2006, 02:22 PM
I believe he blew his knee at Florida St. Not 100% sure though, might have to do a little mor research.ok but i'd have to see after the 3rd round pick, how much money signing him would cost us, what's his contract look like?

lightzout56
03-28-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure how his current contract is structured, but the Bolts can give him a contract with tons of incentives, such as playing time, catches, tds, and pro bowls. Then also add an option to make the contract longer. Just a thought.

JCDavey
03-28-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure how his current contract is structured, but the Bolts can give him a contract with tons of incentives, such as playing time, catches, tds, and pro bowls. Then also add an option to make the contract longer. Just a thought.yeah if it was playing time incentives, i think it would be a good idea if it's only going to cost a 3rd and if we have an extra 3rd to spare

LTfan4life
03-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Dude! A torn ACL isn't as bad as it sounds and players do make a full recovery. Walker has already done it before and another good WR has also made the recovery, Anquan Boldin.

Don't forget Lee Evans, WR, Buffalo Bills, blew his ACL in college, and he ran a 4.3 forty at the Combine the next year.

Xien24
03-28-2006, 06:23 PM
I don't think AJ has it in him to get this guy. I can only hope to be proven wrong.

ltomlinson16
03-28-2006, 06:30 PM
if we can get javon walker potential top 10 wr in the nfl for only a 3rd-4th rounder, but we dont and instead let denver get him, i will be very frustrated with AJ

TheIceCreamMan
03-28-2006, 06:35 PM
like i already am

LTisMyHero
03-28-2006, 06:44 PM
A 3rd rounder is reasonable, but you would have to examine where we draft, and who we project to be available.

A 4th rounder, I would give up no problem if that were the asking price.

SecAsianMan007
03-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Walker is a good player, but remember it takes two years to fully recover from an acl injury. Even Anquan Bolding wasn't 100% when he returned, not until this year. I would hold off on getting Walker, just see what VJ has to offer and use that third rounder and potentially get a steal in the draft.

mikeavo22
03-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Walker is a good player, but remember it takes two years to fully recover from an acl injury. Even Anquan Bolding wasn't 100% when he returned, not until this year. I would hold off on getting Walker, just see what VJ has to offer and use that third rounder and potentially get a steal in the draft..

It would be a great addition if VJ doesn't pan out like we hope. I've always liked Javon Walker. Great hands!

Charger Dodger
03-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Fact of the matter is....we won't get Javon Walker, we won't get a Eric Moulds, we won't get anybody. That's how AJ is, he's a stingy owner who wants his current team to play on all star level. I guarantee you guys you won't see a free agent pick up this year. He's going to rely all his matters on the draft.

kcboltfan
03-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Fact of the matter is....we won't get Javon Walker, we won't get a Eric Moulds, we won't get anybody. That's how AJ is, he's a stingy owner who wants his current team to play on all star level. I guarantee you guys you won't see a free agent pick up this year. He's going to rely all his matters on the draft.

Umm AJ is not the owner, but the GM. Do you even know what city the Chargers play in? :mad: Plus he has already signed two players.

Charger Dodger
03-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Umm AJ is not the owner, but the GM. Do you even know what city the Chargers play in? :mad: Plus he has already signed two players.
My bad, long day. I know Spanos is the owner. I had it all mixed up. good eye.

But the FA's he signed aint nobody to be wowed about. Come on.

TJ21
03-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Where the **** are they getting all this cap-room?!!!?!?

kcboltfan
03-30-2006, 10:24 PM

Just pointing out the mistake in saying AJ won't get anybody. I am sure you meant to say he would not get anybody you liked.

drangus
03-30-2006, 11:35 PM
My bad, long day. I know Spanos is the owner. I had it all mixed up. good eye.

If you really know football then you know that it is more important to be wowed during the

course of the regular season than during the offseason--I am pretty wowed about the fact

that we will have the money available to keep guys like merriman and castillo happy in san diego

Charger Dodger
03-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Just pointing out the mistake in saying AJ won't get anybody. I am sure you meant to say he would not get anybody you liked.

Don't get me wrong, I like Marlon McCree, he's a proven Safety with INTs, but there were far greater FA's in the market that could've been signed for the same loot McCree was signed for.

Charger Dodger
03-30-2006, 11:40 PM
If you really know football then you know that it is more important to be wowed during the

course of the regular season than during the offseason--I am pretty wowed about the fact

that we will have the money available to keep guys like merriman and castillo happy in san diego

That makes sense, but again, it is offseason and what are offseasons for? To improve on a specific area and we needed much improvement in our OL, WR's, DB's, but to no avail. Other teams took that opportunity to address that matter and that upsets me because AJ Smith is sittin on his ass not doing a damn thing. Couldn't we at least made some news on giving Hutchinson some type of interest? Who cares we didn't get him, but at least news is around that we were going for him.

drangus
03-30-2006, 11:56 PM
That makes sense, but again, it is offseason and what are offseasons for? To improve on a specific area and we needed much improvement in our OL, WR's, DB's, but to no avail. Other teams took that opportunity to address that matter and that upsets me because AJ Smith is sittin on his ass not doing a damn thing. Couldn't we at least made some news on giving Hutchinson some type of interest? Who cares we didn't get him, but at least news is around that we were going for him.

I have learned over the years that teams are built through the draft--last time I checked

we have 9 picks in the draft---is the draft not part of the offseason? why do we need

to pretend to show interest in people that we have no intention of signing? I don't understand how

that would help the team--AJ likes what he has here and he is confident that he can find what

he needs in the draft--lets face it this team does not have that many holes to fill

Charger Dodger
03-31-2006, 01:37 AM
[/b]

I have learned over the years that teams are built through the draft--last time I checked

we have 9 picks in the draft---is the draft not part of the offseason? why do we need

to pretend to show interest in people that we have no intention of signing? I don't understand how

that would help the team--AJ likes what he has here and he is confident that he can find what

he needs in the draft--lets face it this team does not have that many holes to fill

Well I really hope you're right because I have high expectations for the Chargers this year. The way AJ Smith is running things, it seems like he knows what he's doing and I hope he does. I don't want to see Chargers not get into the Playoffs again. And those close losses we had last year, due to OL. Yes. Don't deny that because we all know it's true.

Bo1TZ
03-31-2006, 02:09 AM
[/B]

Okay I agree with what you're saying, but the big difference between the draft and free agency is that players available in free agency are proven. There are bust and sleepers in free agency, but you don't have to wait two or three years for a player to develop (well unless you sign a young gun with that intention but you know what I mean). We could have signed players that could help us win NOW, and still have a decent future ahead.

We are like the Memphis Grizzles in basketball. We always have a strong foundation of young players and we should be a playoff contender for years to come. However, we don't have the talent to win the "big one", and we'll be first round playoff exiters for years to come.

We can't always keep building through the draft. There has to be a time where we decide to "go for it" and sign or trade for quality free agents. In my opinion the time is now, when we have the best running back in the league and the best tight end. Bring in some studs and "go for it" for the next four or five years, before falling back into the rebuilding stage. Just my humble opinion...

L.T. - 21
03-31-2006, 06:17 AM
yep this just increases our chances of getting Chad Jackson

BoltsfanNYC
03-31-2006, 07:54 AM
YO we have 5 PICKS... the other 4 are 6th and 7th rounders... I know about diamonds in the rough and all that trash... BUT how many of those survived last year... fact of the matter is that 5 years ago 8 of the 9 would be chargers next year... today... maybe 5 or 6 will... much like last year. WE are a better team...
Merriman-Castillo-
SOON VJ we all hope-
Sproles needs some stickm-
and a backup OLINE guy....
2-2-1
right now we need
FS-CB-T-G-ILB-WR-QB
that is 7 we will draft 9 guys invite about 10-15 to camp
and sign some mid level FA thus leaving about 4-5 roster spots for like 30 guys to fight for!

GoMathews
03-31-2006, 09:33 AM
If this team is going to have any success we are going to have to dominate in the trenches. Look at how our D-Line controls the opponents run game. I highly doubt that our current roster of O-Linemen can control ours. We needed some acquisitions through free agency to fill this hole on offense. It is very difficult to find a rookie linemen who can make an immediate impact. Consider Shane Olivea one of the biggest steals in the 2004 draft. We are going to have to rely on some luck if we are going to find guys that can step in like that.

Merrimanjersey
03-31-2006, 09:35 AM
We are like the Memphis Grizzles in basketball. We always have a strong foundation of young players and we should be a playoff contender for years to come. However, we don't have the talent to win the "big one", and we'll be first round playoff exiters for years to come.

We can't always keep building through the draft. There has to be a time where we decide to "go for it" and sign or trade for quality free agents. In my opinion the time is now, when we have the best running back in the league and the best tight end. Bring in some studs and "go for it" for the next four or five years, before falling back into the rebuilding stage. Just my humble opinion...

Tell that to Bill Bellicheck, Tony Dungy, and Bill Cowher. History repeats itself. Face it, the model that has worked in the NFL over the past half decade or so has been to not spend crazy in the off season, build through the draft and bring in quality players, not necessarily stars, but solid players and be frugal. With the salary cap, you have to be frugal, there is not other way, otherwise you will blow your wad on big name players that may be on the downside of their careers. AJ is great at signing unknown players on the rise and finding great bargains.

You have to consider another thing, lots of times free agents are free agents because their team didn't want them anymore. Why? Maybe because they were a disruption in the locker room, or the team just didn't think they were worth the money anymore. Then another team comes along and overpays. That may excite fans, but its many times its not good business.

BoltsfanNYC
03-31-2006, 09:51 AM
AJ right now is 50-50.... because MERRIMAN was a no Brainer... taking Castillo over Khalif barnes Was right now even...imagine if we had barnes last season HE STARTED in JAX!

also... this whole brees thing is his fault... NOW if brees blows... or doesnt play AJ is the man.. IF brees is HOT and takes NO to the playoffs...which is possible... then AJ loses his JOB if We fail to make the playoffs... however if brees blows and we go 8-8 Marty may lose his JOB!

ChargerCohen
03-31-2006, 10:38 AM
AJ right now is 50-50.... because MERRIMAN was a no Brainer... taking Castillo over Khalif barnes Was right now even...imagine if we had barnes last season HE STARTED in JAX!

also... this whole brees thing is his fault... NOW if brees blows... or doesnt play AJ is the man.. IF brees is HOT and takes NO to the playoffs...which is possible... then AJ loses his JOB if We fail to make the playoffs... however if brees blows and we go 8-8 Marty may lose his JOB!

Castillo is an absolute gem, and a great team player. He's by far exceeded expectations, and solidifies our defense. Barnes started at right tackle. Ooooh.

HighBoltage
03-31-2006, 01:23 PM
Castillo is an absolute gem, and a great team player. He's by far exceeded expectations, and solidifies our defense. Barnes started at right tackle. Ooooh.
As I recall it was a big risk to take Castillo that early. A lot of people said he was a 2nd or even 3rd round selection at best. I think he had some sort of character issue going on too........I don't remember. I just know that there were a lot of raised eyebrows with that pick.

Kudos to AJ for that one.

LTisMyHero
03-31-2006, 01:32 PM
The knock on Castillo wasn't his character.

He has great personality and came from a poor, hard working family who came here from another country.

The problem was his admitted use of steroids at one point in college to recover from an injury faster.

That's why people were split about him. He very well may have dropped much lower than where we took him, or may not. Nobody knows.

drangus
03-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Okay I agree with what you're saying, but the big difference between the draft and free agency is that players available in free agency are proven. There are bust and sleepers in free agency, but you don't have to wait two or three years for a player to develop (well unless you sign a young gun with that intention but you know what I mean). We could have signed players that could help us win NOW, and still have a decent future ahead.

Memphis is a bad comparison and the dynamics of these sports don't translate at all

nevertheless when have the grizzlies ever been able to say that they have the best of anything

at any position?

LTwith2200
03-31-2006, 10:57 PM
I just saw on SportCenter that a trade has happened.

Javon Walker for the 22nd pick strait up.

Pot Roast
03-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Memphis is a bad comparison and the dynamics of these sports don't translate at all

nevertheless when have the grizzlies ever been able to say that they have the best of anything

at any position?
Actually I understand his point perfectly: sure you could nitpick it to death ....

Actuially a better comparison would be the Atlanta Hawks to the Chargers.
Remember that team with Doc Rivers , Wilkins, Malone. So close... but no.. then crumbled.....

As is the chargers have alot to prove. and must or AJ will getthe boot.

I understand having faith, blah blah blah. but the Chargers are in a unique position they havent been in for a long time: they have a VERY good eam with some of the best players in the league. will it be squandered? thats the question.

Pot Roast
03-31-2006, 11:33 PM
I just saw on SportCenter that a trade has happened.

Javon Walker for the 22nd pick strait up.
Jovan Walker is a good pick up for them: he knows that system and can contribute. I think he isnt the best reciever, though I know because he had 1000 yards, etc , that means he is really good: but what year has favre NOT had at least 1 1000 yrd reciever. remember what happened to Antonio Freeman when he went to the eagles? Exactly.

StLBoltboy
03-31-2006, 11:57 PM
The knock on Castillo wasn't his character.

He has great personality and came from a poor, hard working family who came here from another country.

The problem was his admitted use of steroids at one point in college to recover from an injury faster.

That's why people were split about him. He very well may have dropped much lower than where we took him, or may not. Nobody knows.

Castillo took andro to help him recover in time for the combine, when the test came pos, he sent a letter to all 32 teams telling them straight up about the circumstances. He actually was projected mid-1st rd before the test.

kcboltfan
04-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Here is an opinion on the value teams are placing on the WR position and how important they feel individual players are. This is actually the second article I remember seeing about how the WR position as a whole is overrated. I do not remember who wrote the other article, it could be the same guy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2391429

Pot Roast
04-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Here is an opinion on the value teams are placing on the WR position and how important they feel individual players are. This is actually the second article I remember seeing about how the WR position as a whole is overrated. I do not remember who wrote the other article, it could be the same guy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2391429

Hide that article, man! you will burst alot of bubbles with it!!

LTwith2200
04-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Jovan Walker is a good pick up for them: he knows that system and can contribute. I think he isnt the best reciever, though I know because he had 1000 yards, etc , that means he is really good: but what year has favre NOT had at least 1 1000 yrd reciever. remember what happened to Antonio Freeman when he went to the eagles? Exactly.
Actually I just watched sportscenter this morning and no mention of it. Maybe they haven't finalized it yet, or something happened.

Merrimanjersey
04-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Hide that article, man! you will burst alot of bubbles with it!!

Good, those Chad Jackson bubbles need to be burst.

BoltsfanNYC
04-01-2006, 09:50 AM
sounds like april fools to me..

LTwith2200
04-01-2006, 09:52 AM
sounds like april fools to me..
probably is...

Pot Roast
04-01-2006, 10:31 AM
dont know if the signing was an april fools thing , but he WAS meeting with the broncos. I know that isnt signing.

hoopdreams
04-01-2006, 02:40 PM
I think it looks like a well researched article that tells the truth about receivers. The changes he quotes are all legitimate. All the more reason to not waste a early round draft pick on a wide receiver.

I think all those guys that want Chad Jackson should read this article. I would much rather get Mike Haas in the 4th round.