PDA

View Full Version : Is Marty a good Coach?

BoltsInOc
08-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Am I in the minority thinking that Marty has probably cost us more games then won us. I know we have a winning record since he got here, but, with the talent on this team we should have a winning record. In my opinion he is old school and not to hard to figure out what he is going to do. He rarely pulls out a surprise. I dont think we will win a SuperBowl under him, but i will still hope we do.

If you agree with me, then who can we replace him with.

TJ21
08-23-2006, 12:08 AM
This has to be the 1000th thread on the subject OC. Try using the search feature before starting a new thread. ;)

JCDavey
08-23-2006, 01:01 AM
i voted yes, he's a good coach

Thunderstruck21
08-23-2006, 01:17 AM
regular season yes, playoffs no.

the 2 big ones that stand out in my mind is the 04 antlanta game and the jets playoff game, where in both games he got conservative and it ended up costing us the game.

RMANCIL
08-23-2006, 03:02 AM

the 2 big ones that stand out in my mind is the 04 antlanta game and the jets playoff game, where in both games he got conservative and it ended up costing us the game.

If the kicker hits the FG which he makes 90% of the time we win vs the Jets.
Schottenheimer has one of the best regular season win loss percentiles in N.F.L. history.

He has a losing record in the playoffs however some of his losses must fall into the bad luck category.

Byner fumbled at the Broncos 1 yd line snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory in a A.F.C. title game.

Elway managed "the drive " hitting on 3rd down and making great plays to lead the Broncos over the Browns in the A.F.C. title game are just a couple that come to mind.

Schottenheimer plays the odds ,loves to focus on field position and he loves to run the ball but he has changed as the game has changed. Today's passing game is a more potent passing game do to the rule changes implemented .

He gets out coached on occasion or should I say he and his staff but for the most part he is a very solid tactician and wins much more than he loses and thats what you want in a head man imop.

SDRANGER619
08-23-2006, 09:07 AM
OH my here we go again...HAHAHAHA This subject always resurfaces...shoot just wait until we lose our first game (if we do, of course!).

SDynasty
08-23-2006, 09:26 AM
If the kicker hits the FG which he makes 90% of the time we win vs the Jets.
Schottenheimer has one of the best regular season win loss percentiles in N.F.L. history.

He has a losing record in the playoffs however some of his losses must fall into the bad luck category.

Byner fumbled at the Broncos 1 yd line snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory in a A.F.C. title game.

Elway managed "the drive " hitting on 3rd down and making great plays to lead the Broncos over the Browns in the A.F.C. title game are just a couple that come to mind.

Schottenheimer plays the odds ,loves to focus on field position and he loves to run the ball but he has changed as the game has changed. Today's passing game is a more potent passing game do to the rule changes implemented .

He gets out coached on occasion or should I say he and his staff but for the most part he is a very solid tactician and wins much more than he loses and thats what you want in a head man imop.

IF my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle!!!!! find a way to win a freakin playoff game marty & staff:Bolt:

rammerjammer
08-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Marty is the winningest active coach in the NFL. He obviously stinks up the joint ...:rolleyes:

RAWDOGG
08-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Marty is a good coach

Chargeroo
08-23-2006, 09:42 AM
[COLOR="Blue"]

. That was Marty's fault ....... can you say prevent defense? If he'd keep his teams in the same defense that's worked for the entire game, maybe he'd have more wins under his belt.

I still think he's a good coach. I think Lombardi is the only coach I recall that never seemed to make a mistake that cost his team a game. The thing is, when it's the coach of "your" team, those mistakes stand out. Marty probably doesn't make any more bad decisions than most coaches do.

donkssuck
08-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Marty is a good coach. Not great yet, but after this year, they will be calling him great!

sonorajim
08-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Of course he's a good coach. His W-L record is one of the best ever and leaves no room for argument.

" His post season record sucks and so does he!"

Getting to the postseason counts for something, and he's done that a lot. You have to be there to even have a chance at the SB. Changing what you do in postseason doesn't make sense, you gotta dance with the girl you brought to the party. Some of our players come up big at crunch time, the Chargers are SB Champs and Marty is a HOF candidate.

thunderstruck88
08-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Amen to that brother! He knows how to win, the losses in the playoffs most are not because of his decisions, I was at the Jets game and it seemed like he tried everything to get a first down on the last drive in ovetime and it came down to trusting a kicker who was golden all year, it just did not go our way. Not his fault, sometimes it is just karma......what can you say right?

BoltsInOc
08-23-2006, 10:14 AM
I have watched in dismay many a game where i just shake my head. Teams we have stopped all game marching right down and scoring because he gets ultra conservative and our offense stalls doing the same. He needs to play the whole game and not give it up because he has a lead.

boltfannvegas
08-23-2006, 11:44 AM
People, People, People....well the ones questioning if Marty is a good coach. He may not have a great playoff record but other than that come on....

He is close to 200 wins... how many coaches have a resume like his.
He is a winner, always will be a winner, and we are lucky to have him as a coach.

For god's sake it seems as if some of you have forgotten some of the peaches we've had in the past....Riley, Gilbride, Jones...

So get on the Marty wagon and watch he, his staff, and our great team take it all this year.

GO BOLTS :Bolt:

..."THE GLEAM".... it will be ours

Satcong_21
08-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Good....But not great! Get the picture?:D

rammerjammer
08-23-2006, 12:32 PM
I have watched in dismay many a game where i just shake my head. Teams we have stopped all game marching right down and scoring because he gets ultra conservative and our offense stalls doing the same. He needs to play the whole game and not give it up because he has a lead.

Too bad that he hasn't had you to give him advice throughout his career. You know, the career in which he has won more games than any other active coach? Yeah, too bad he hasn't had you to help him out. :rolleyes:

BoltsInOc
08-23-2006, 12:38 PM
The playoffs is what it is all about. I am not saying I am a coach, im saying that other coaches have him figured out. Winning Titles... SUPERBOWLS is what it is all about. A great season is wonderful, but its disapointing having a great season and going out in game 1 of playoffs. He is a good coach, no doubt, but not a great coach.

rammerjammer
08-23-2006, 12:56 PM
The playoffs is what it is all about. I am not saying I am a coach, im saying that other coaches have him figured out. Winning Titles... SUPERBOWLS is what it is all about. A great season is wonderful, but its disapointing having a great season and going out in game 1 of playoffs. He is a good coach, no doubt, but not a great coach.

He doesn't always lose in the first round of the play offs, you know.

His honors include the following:
Honors:
2004 NFL Coach of the Year (Associated Press, Pro Football Weekly, SportsIllustrated.com, American Football Monthly, DallasMorning News, CBS Sportsline.com and the NFL Alumni Association)
2004 Professional Coach of the Year (Maxwell Football Club)
2004 AFC Coach of the Year (NFL 101 Committee)

In his 10 seasons with the Chiefs, Schottenheimer’s teams averaged 10 wins a season and advanced to the playoffs seven times, making Kansas City one of the AFC’s most dominant teams of the ’90s.

Prior to his successful stint in Kansas City, Schottenheimer spent four and a half seasons as the head coach of the Cleveland Browns from 1984-1988. During the four full seasons (1985-88) in which he was head coach of the Browns, Schottenheimer produced four playoff berths, three AFC Central titles, and two AFC Championship game appearances. In his first complete year as head coach, he led the Browns to the AFC Central title. The following season, he earned consensus NFL Coach of the Year honors after leading his team to a 12-4 regular-season record, a second-consecutive division title adn a trip to the AFC Championship game, where they fell to the Denver Broncos.

http://www.chargers-stats.com/coaches/schott.html

Check out that link to read how he has turned around several losing franchises, as well. He may not meet your standards, but he has done some great work in his career. I think his resume at least solidifies his status as a "good" coach.

JCDavey
08-23-2006, 01:08 PM
remember in the 2004 season he was 11-0 vs non playoff teams, 1-5 vs playoff teams

another case where stats don't tell the entire story

rammerjammer
08-23-2006, 01:39 PM
remember in the 2004 season he was 11-0 vs non playoff teams, 1-5 vs playoff teams

Sure, but that was one season of his entire 18 year career as a coach. You can take any isolated season, game, half, quarter, or play to argue that he is a great coach or a horrible coach. I think, though, if you are responding to the broad question of whether he is a "good coach," then you should take his entire broad career into account. In that respect, then yes, I think he is a good coach. Not only do I think he is a good coach, I think that he has a very strong chance of entering the Hall of Fame. Entrance in the Hall of Fame is generally determined by one's career as a whole, including his major accomplishments, and not one particular season or play off win or loss.

downsouthbolt
08-23-2006, 03:29 PM

exactly too conservative

i kinda wish that san diego would have picked up Dennie Green when he
was in limbo he would have been great with the players that San Diego has

JCDavey
08-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Sure, but that was one season of his entire 18 year career as a coach. You can take any isolated season, game, half, quarter, or play to argue that he is a great coach or a horrible coach. I think, though, if you are responding to the broad question of whether he is a "good coach," then you should take his entire broad career into account. In that respect, then yes, I think he is a good coach. Not only do I think he is a good coach, I think that he has a very strong chance of entering the Hall of Fame. Entrance in the Hall of Fame is generally determined by one's career as a whole, including his major accomplishments, and not one particular season or play off win or loss.someone should do some research and see what his all time record is vs non playoff teams and playoff teams each season he's coached, i would but i just don't care about it that much to do it.

in 2005 he was i believe 4-3 vs playoff teams and 5-4 vs non playoff teams

Chargeroo
08-23-2006, 04:30 PM

You could also say that the o-line was 11-0 vs non playoff teams, 1-5 vs playoff teams

and you could say Brees was
or the defense was, etc. -

It can't all be blamed on the HC

RAWDOGG
08-23-2006, 04:34 PM

Remember that the Chargers had not made it to the playoffs the previous 10 yrs

JCDavey
08-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Remember that the Chargers had not made it to the playoffs the previous 10 yrsremember that a couple of those missed playoff years were with marty as HC

RAWDOGG
08-23-2006, 04:49 PM
remember that a couple of those missed playoff years were with marty as HC

Frankly I don't care what his record against play-offs teams are/where.......He along with AJ have turned this franchise around. That should be all that matters.

His track record proves he can win where ever he goes, that is what he has done here.

JCDavey
08-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Frankly I don't care what his record against play-offs teams are/where.......He along with AJ have turned this franchise around. That should be all that matters.

His track record proves he can win where ever he goes, that is what he has done here.i agree, he's a good coach, and he can win anywhere

i hope he wins the only game that matters though

the superbowl :Beer:

Chargers Fan
08-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Marty is a good coach. Good coaches will eventually get a lot more wins than losses over their careers, and Marty has done that.

There's an intangible factor here that nobody is talking about (perhaps because it may not even really "exist" as a factor): When it comes to the playoffs, MARTY IS SNAKEBITTEN. On a logical level, I know it's irrational to think that "luck" should be considered when sizing up a coach. However, when misfortune keeps rearing its ugly head against the same guy during the most important time of year (the postseason), you almost start to wonder.
Marty didn't strip the ball from Byner on the 2 yardline against Denver in the AFC Championship game. The Broncos did. Marty didn't cause Kaeding's kick to sail wide against the Jets. Inexperience and anxiety on Nate's part probably caused that.
I admit, Marty does help make his own bad luck sometimes -- like letting the Browns defense play soft when Elway orchestrated "The Drive", or settling on conservative play-calling instead of trying to move the ball closer for Kaeding's kick -- but the fact remains that all of these things could have EASILY gone the other way. Byner could've scored instead of fumbled. Kaeding's kick could've split the uprights perfectly. Somebody in the Browns' secondary could've stopped any one of the plays that formed the chain-of-events that became "The Drive", and things would've gone differently. But all those things went against Marty -- in the playoffs, of course.

So, I'm going to be illogical and make the claim that Marty is just plain unlucky when it comes to the postseason. Of course, I have to be equally illogical in concluding all of this means that MARTY IS DUE FOR SOME GOOD LUCK IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!
And I think it's time for him to collect.

Chargeroo
08-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Marty is a good coach. Good coaches will eventually get a lot more wins than losses over their careers, and Marty has done that.

There's an intangible factor here that nobody is talking about (perhaps because it may not even really "exist" as a factor): When it comes to the playoffs, MARTY IS SNAKEBITTEN. On a logical level, I know it's irrational to think that "luck" should be considered when sizing up a coach. However, when misfortune keeps rearing its ugly head against the same guy during the most important time of year (the postseason), you almost start to wonder.
Marty didn't strip the ball from Byner on the 2 yardline against Denver in the AFC Championship game. The Broncos did. Marty didn't cause Kaeding's kick to sail wide against the Jets. Inexperience and anxiety on Nate's part probably caused that.
I admit, Marty does help make his own bad luck sometimes -- like letting the Browns defense play soft when Elway orchestrated "The Drive", or settling on conservative play-calling instead of trying to move the ball closer for Kaeding's kick -- but the fact remains that all of these things could have EASILY gone the other way. Byner could've scored instead of fumbled. Kaeding's kick could've split the uprights perfectly. Somebody in the Browns' secondary could've stopped any one of the plays that formed the chain-of-events that became "The Drive", and things would've gone differently. But all those things went against Marty -- in the playoffs, of course.

So, I'm going to be illogical and make the claim that Marty is just plain unlucky when it comes to the postseason. Of course, I have to be equally illogical in concluding all of this means that MARTY IS DUE FOR SOME GOOD LUCK IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!
And I think it's time for him to collect. It does seem illogical but I have often thought the same thing. His playoff losses have sometimes come down to just plain old bad luck. The fumble by Byner and missed field goal by Nate were just plain old bad luck. He called for the right plays but bad luck befell him.

To me, it actually seems more illogical to think that a Coach can be a winner during the regular season on a year after year basis and then turn into a bad coach just because it's playoff time. The playoffs are a sudden death type of thing and bad luck can certainly jump up and bite you in any sudden death environment.

Thunderstruck
08-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Marty is a very good coach. His teams are always physical, always play hard whistle-to-whistle, and always seem to have a ton of talent. That's not an accident. Marty's a good teacher and motivator. He's also shown the ability to adapt his coaching style over the years.

My biggest complaints with Marty are that he doesn't handle his depth well, IMO, and he often falls in love with veterans and then can't see when their skills are fading. (Donnie Edwards, anyone?) Turner should have seen more playing time with LT dinged up last year. I have a feeling that if we see Cooper and Wilhelm starting this year, we're all going to wonder what might have been if they had been inserted as starters last year.

But make no mistake--Marty knows the game and he knows football players.

Chargeroo
08-23-2006, 09:04 PM
That's a real good take on Marty, Thunderstruck. I've often voiced those same thoughts about him. He seems to get "taken" with some players and better players are kept on the bench because of it and he plays his starters even if they need help getting on and off the field. I can still picture Seau with an arm dangling by his side while healthy players are standing on the sidelines watching. We have a lot of depth now and he really has no excuse to do that sort of thing. Let's hope he'll play his subs when needed this year.

SDynasty
08-23-2006, 11:04 PM
I am not AJ Smith and I agree with Thunders above post. I would like to add that marty unfortunately has a very predictable playcalling mindset.

I know you all say cam calls the plays, but in the past all of the post season loses are all of the same mode.

regular season, marty turns blowouts into nailbitters. we have soooooo much talent that 75 % of our games this year should be over by the first half, resting a few of the starters to keep them fresh since our bye week is the 3rd week of the schedule.

boltbacker_ed
08-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Man this is getting old. "Marty cost us some games" WAAAAAAAAAAA!
Listen for marty to have the kind of success he has had in the NFL he didn't get that for being a bad coach. He will get his superbowl championship and AJ will extend his contract another 5 or so years. Marty does not play on the o-Line, or the secondary, or special teams. He is our coach the players have to perform and make the plays and execute the plans. So Don't worry about marty the chargers will get him his ring. Nuff said!

Bourne99
08-24-2006, 02:34 AM
I vote for him as a good coach but when he's winning or in a big game that realy counts IMO he goes into a conservative mode style type of coaching..

crittydog
08-24-2006, 04:09 AM
I don't think he coaches any different than Bill Cowher.
And, they could say the same about Cowher never winning the big one until last year.
Shanahan is a good coach but they can say he never won the big one without Elway.
And they same for Parcells, has won a Superbowl since Giants.
Jimmy Johnson only got it done with Troy, Emmitt, and Michael in Dallas. Couldn't get it done with Marino.
Will Gibbs ever make it back?
Belechek had a nice run, But i don't know how much coaching goes into, the "tuck rule" or Viniteri making clutch kicks in the snow and for the game many times.
Is Andy Reid a bad coach?
Marty is one heck of a football coach. Just like all of the above mentioned coaches.
If the Chargers win it all... , but needed an insanely incredible run by LT or
Turner in a playoff game and a clutch Kick by Kaeding as well, Leander Jordan actually playing well enough for an injury Oben/McNiell in the AFC championship game so that Rivers doesn't get killed and can make a key pass late in the 4th quarter, And lucky iffy call by the ref in the superbowl......does that make Marty a better coach?

boltsfan1455
08-24-2006, 06:40 AM
I think Marty is an incredible Teacher and motivator. He has cetainly been instrumental in turning around this franchise. I think what would get us over the top would be some specialists, say a clock manager etc. Let the coordinators continue to make the calls at the end of the game to maintain continuity, and lets win the SB we have the talent!!

stuckinfl
08-24-2006, 12:12 PM
I think Marty is a good coach. I also think his conservitave aproach has cost us games in the past couple of years. He dosen't seem to have that go for the throat mentality. Is he a good coach yes, good enough? Rick

Da_Cha-gers
08-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Bizarre :crazy:

This post would have to be one of the most bizarre I've seen on this board.

I don't know if it violates the terms and conditions of use or not, but I would think it's gotta be pretty close.

>"AJ SMITH IS UNDER ANOTHER ONE OF HIS ALIAS' STARTING THIS THREAD"<.

Do you have some proof of this that you'd like to share with everyone?

How many "aliases" does he have? lol ..... how many do you have?

So what your saying is - BoltsInOc (who joined this board the same month as you - LA Chargers '07) is ACTUALLY A.J.? ..... hmmm

>"Aj, u can prod all u like but we know bottom line your hatred for Marty. And u simply just like to throw hot coals onto the fire. This is a place for us FANS. Not another one of your 'message board tricks'.

Time will tell if YOU did your job here so stop focusing on Marty's cuz u COULD go down with him. Your holier than thou' monotone EMOTIONLESS & superiority complex induced attitude will be the reason for your downfall"<.

Do you actually think A.J. read your message? ..... Do you think he'll heed your advice? ..... Do you think he cares what you have to say? .....

>"stop focusing on Marty's cuz u COULD go down with him"<

Are you predicting Marty's going down?

>"Just so u all know I have reason to believe AJ Smith posts here and this is another one of his TRICKS.

Be warned"<

Please provide proof - I'm sure many here would be interested - including the Mods.

For all I know this could have been a joke post for laughs only - with no bad intentions intended, or maybe someone had a little extra something in their cool-aid or got meds mixed up or something - I don't know, but making accusations like the ones above should probably be backed up with some proof.

Here's some reading material you may find of interest (or not) and might be somewhat pertinent to this post:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libel

I'm glad your a Chargers fan and you certainly have some strong thoughts and opinions on the Marty/A.J. situation - which you have every right to, however, you have to be a little mindful when making accusations - unless you've got the proof to back it up.

Hoping for a good yr - where we do well and go far! :Beer:

Go Chargers!
:Helmet:

JCDavey
08-24-2006, 12:43 PM
hi Marty...

Chargers Fan
08-24-2006, 12:50 PM
hi Marty...

LOL :D
--------------

RAWDOGG
08-24-2006, 01:17 PM
hi Marty...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :Cheers:

56lightsout56
08-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Marty, youre the coach of the SD Chargers they arent in L.A. Get that straight, but good idea to try and throw us off ;)

hadlefan
08-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Don Shula said shortly after his retirement that Marty is the best coach in football, period. You'll hear alot of people in the media question Marty's post season record (5-12). Well you know he didn't go out and strip his own runningback on the 1 against the Broncos in the afc championship against Cleveland, Marty is the best in the business, kind of like when the Padres hired Dick Williams, he was the best in the business and had alot of success here, when you get to the Post season the players have to step up and match the intensity of there opponent, the coach cannot go play for them, a good example would be last year, Vanderjagt for the Colts the most accurate kicker in the history of the game missed the tyeing field goal, by a mile, no excuses, this followed by three seasons of talking trash about the rest of his teammates, does this make Dungy a bad coach/motivator, hell no, the man deserves a medal for what he did last year, the Colts were right there til Vandbutt chocked, and Dungy had them ready to play despite the suicide of his son! This is the type of character Marty brings to the table and San-Diego is very fortunate to have this man on the sideline.:Bolt:

JCDavey
08-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Don Shula said shortly after his retirement that Marty is the best coach in football, period. You'll hear alot of people in the media question Marty's post season record (5-12). Well you know he didn't go out and strip his own runningback on the 1 against the Broncos in the afc championship against Cleveland, Marty is the best in the business, kind of like when the Padres hired Dick Williams, he was the best in the business and had alot of success here, when you get to the Post season the players have to step up and match the intensity of there opponent, the coach cannot go play for them, a good example would be last year, Vanderjagt for the Colts the most accurate kicker in the history of the game missed the tyeing field goal, by a mile, no excuses, this followed by three seasons of talking trash about the rest of his teammates, does this make Dungy a bad coach/motivator, hell no, the man deserves a medal for what he did last year, the Colts were right there til Vandbutt chocked, and Dungy had them ready to play despite the suicide of his son! This is the type of character Marty brings to the table and San-Diego is very fortunate to have this man on the sideline.:Bolt:hi brian, how are the jets looking? :D

Charger Dave
08-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Am I in the minority thinking that Marty has probably cost us more games then won us. I know we have a winning record since he got here, but, with the talent on this team we should have a winning record. In my opinion he is old school and not to hard to figure out what he is going to do. He rarely pulls out a surprise. I dont think we will win a SuperBowl under him, but i will still hope we do.

If you agree with me, then who can we replace him with.So, after five pages or your thread I looked at the results of your poll.

Yes - you are in the minority on this question.:Beer:

Chargeroo
08-29-2006, 02:12 PM
New member makes a nice post and shows us he knows something about football! - Glad you found us young fella! :)

Don Shula said shortly after his retirement that Marty is the best coach in football, period. You'll hear alot of people in the media question Marty's post season record (5-12). Well you know he didn't go out and strip his own runningback on the 1 against the Broncos in the afc championship against Cleveland, Marty is the best in the business, kind of like when the Padres hired Dick Williams, he was the best in the business and had alot of success here, when you get to the Post season the players have to step up and match the intensity of there opponent, the coach cannot go play for them, a good example would be last year, Vanderjagt for the Colts the most accurate kicker in the history of the game missed the tyeing field goal, by a mile, no excuses, this followed by three seasons of talking trash about the rest of his teammates, does this make Dungy a bad coach/motivator, hell no, the man deserves a medal for what he did last year, the Colts were right there til Vandbutt chocked, and Dungy had them ready to play despite the suicide of his son! This is the type of character Marty brings to the table and San-Diego is very fortunate to have this man on the sideline.:Bolt:

TJ21
08-29-2006, 02:17 PM
hi brian, how are the jets looking? :D

That's a bit of an atypical response to a well written and well informed post, wouldn't you agree? The votes are 60 to 8 because the majority of people choose to observe the fact that Schottenheimer is the winningest active head coach and still to this day known as one of the most intense motivators and intelligent game-planners in the game. Those 8 must be watching too much Steven A. Smith... the same guy who continually remarked that Marty is a bad coach because he wouldn't let Gates play in the season opener... when in fact, AJ Smith laid down that suspension.

JCDavey
08-29-2006, 02:37 PM
That's a bit of an atypical response to a well written and well informed post, wouldn't you agree? The votes are 60 to 8 because the majority of people choose to observe the fact that Schottenheimer is the winningest active head coach and still to this day known as one of the most intense motivators and intelligent game-planners in the game. Those 8 must be watching too much Steven A. Smith... the same guy who continually remarked that Marty is a bad coach because he wouldn't let Gates play in the season opener... when in fact, AJ Smith laid down that suspension.yeah i agree, i also voted marty is a good coach :D

Charger Dave
08-29-2006, 02:41 PM
That's a bit of an atypical response to a well written and well informed post, wouldn't you agree? The votes are 60 to 8 because the majority of people choose to observe the fact that Schottenheimer is the winningest active head coach and still to this day known as one of the most intense motivators and intelligent game-planners in the game. Those 8 must be watching too much Steven A. Smith... the same guy who continually remarked that Marty is a bad coach because he wouldn't let Gates play in the season opener... when in fact, AJ Smith laid down that suspension.Neon Dion said the same thing on his first appearance as an anal-list for NFL Network's Total Access last night. Then again, Neon hates Marty and Marty doesn't care. ;)

crittydog
08-29-2006, 02:55 PM

I agree whole-heartedly.

TJ21
08-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Neon Dion said the same thing on his first appearance as an anal-list for NFL Network's Total Access last night. Then again, Neon hates Marty and Marty doesn't care. ;)

I saw that, but Sanders might be the first and only analyst on NFLNET that's actually entertaining. Rod Woodson is informative but speaks very nervously. Darren Horton speaks very well and understands the game, but is as humorous as a dead raccoon. And listening to Rich Eisen is the equivalent of watching grass grow. :D

FanSince1979
08-29-2006, 03:43 PM
I think Marty is a good coach; it is his decision-making that troubles me.

Rivers_owns
08-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah, hes a good coach...Stop hating!

TheIceCreamMan
08-29-2006, 04:23 PM
I Am Marty

TJ21
08-29-2006, 04:32 PM
I Am Marty

Donnie Edwards is no good... oh and I like your hats.

RAWDOGG
08-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Neon Dion said the same thing on his first appearance as an anal-list for NFL Network's Total Access last night. Then again, Neon hates Marty and Marty doesn't care. ;)

I think you ment PEON Dion..........:p
Dion is a tool

LT4MVP#21
08-29-2006, 05:06 PM
marty is a good REGULAR SEASON coach
once hes in the playoffs i dont have much faith in him

RAWDOGG
08-29-2006, 05:16 PM
marty is a good REGULAR SEASON coach
once hes in the playoffs i dont have much faith in him

That is going to change this year :Cheers:

LT4MVP#21
08-29-2006, 05:25 PM
That is going to change this year :Cheers:

i really hope you are right!

ltinabottle
08-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Marty has earned respect around the league as a good coach winning close to 190 games in his career. We have discussed this time and time again. He has quite a talented, seasoned group of guys who are ready to make a run this year. Let's see how far he can lead them into the playoffs. Anything short of contending is a disapointment.

Go Bolts :Bolt:

stuckinfl
08-30-2006, 09:23 AM
New member makes a nice post and shows us he knows something about football! - Glad you found us young fella! :)
How young could someone calling themself Hadle fan be? He was QB in the 60-70's. Rick

SDChargeHer
08-30-2006, 10:32 AM

Exactly had he been agressive say like in the colts game last season chances are our defense would've held. It's not just agressive on offense but defensively we go into a prevent wayyy to early. Isay only go to a prevent when your up by 30 in the 4th and NEVER against the faiders. Keep pounding those guys.

Chargeroo
08-30-2006, 11:46 AM
How young could someone calling themself Hadle fan be? He was QB in the 60-70's. Rick Compared to me, he could be 15 - 20 years younger. :)

ActionJackson
08-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Wa Wa Wa, are we still talking about this?

Chargeroo
08-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Wa Wa Wa, are we still talking about this?I bet every teams forums has threads about liking and or disliking the Coach. Maybe not the Pats, but they probably have some fans that think they know some coach that would be better. It's like people always like the second string QB. :D

El Presidente
08-30-2006, 09:12 PM
What's Marty's record against Oakland? Like 8-2 or somefink? Marty is a darn good coach.

ltomlinson16
08-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Marty in the regular season - sure i love em.

Post season.. no way- theres a reason why alotta classic games have him on the losing side (john elways 'the drive') its becasue hes too conservative

SP17BOLT
08-30-2006, 09:33 PM
What's Marty's record against Oakland? Like 8-2 or somefink? Marty is a darn good coach.

Schottenheimer's record against the Raiders -- Oakland and Los Angeles versions -- is now 24-7. Looks like Marty hates the raiders more then you EL Presidente.

El Presidente
08-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Schottenheimer's record against the Raiders -- Oakland and Los Angeles versions -- is now 24-7. Looks like Marty hates the raiders more then you EL Presidente.

No he doesn't. He's just kicks their butts to fuel my hatred of chokeland.

SP17BOLT
08-30-2006, 10:09 PM
No he doesn't. He's just kicks their butts to fuel my hatred of chokeland.

Quoted: from Kiel

"Marty hates the Raiders. I don't know why," Chargers safety Terrence Kiel said. "He told us that (Saturday) night. It's something personal." :D

SP17BOLT
08-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Link: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20051017/ai_n15804136

Cutler6
08-31-2006, 11:48 PM
Marty is good but not great. He's on the bubble himself. :eek:

DIMEBOLT
09-02-2006, 06:25 PM
marty is a good coach:Football: :Bolt: :55: :Beer:

boltbacker_ed
09-03-2006, 07:46 AM
This is a wasted arguement. We should argue about something that makes sense.

LIGHTS.OUT.
09-03-2006, 04:14 PM

thats 17 games

Chargeroo
09-03-2006, 07:55 PM
thats 17 games He's using Canadian numbers - watch out! :D

ftwbolt
09-05-2006, 08:22 PM
This poll needs a most of the time Option :D

BCBoltFan
09-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Marty is good but not great. He's on the bubble himself. :eek:
We all are. :Helmet:

beet
09-06-2006, 01:39 AM
yes he is marty is

ChampCharger
09-06-2006, 05:05 PM

I think last year it was our O-Line that cost us the games. If we could just open up some holes, LT would top Shaun Alexander or anyother Back in this league.

Hopefully their better and better coached this year so Marty can regain some cred.

gatorade21
09-10-2006, 09:54 PM
I like marty and I think he has made a lot of good decisions over the past couple years escept for a few

dmarsden1968
09-17-2006, 01:12 PM
I don't think Marty is an exceptional play caller, and I don't think he is a great motivator. I think where he excels is getting his team strategically prepared to play and drawing up an overall O/D strategy to allow his team to win. With either, Browns, Chiefs, Redskins or Chargers, Marty is responsible for very few loses.

JerryinCA
09-17-2006, 04:31 PM
I can't think of another coach I would take over Marty that's in the league right now. A lot of people give BB over in New England all the credit for his teams success but a lot of that also has to do with the talent that team has and their scouting department, it's not just the coach over there.

IgorUnchained
09-17-2006, 04:41 PM
I can't think of another coach I would take over Marty that's in the league right now. A lot of people give BB over in New England all the credit for his teams success but a lot of that also has to do with the talent that team has and their scouting department, it's not just the coach over there.

Big Bill in NE and Cowher in PIT would be my 2nd and 3rd picks after Marty. I hope he gets his Super Bowl ring soon....this year would be nice! :Beer:

Charger Dave
09-17-2006, 05:44 PM
I don't think Marty is an exceptional play caller, and I don't think he is a great motivator. I think where he excels is getting his team strategically prepared to play and drawing up an overall O/D strategy to allow his team to win. With either, Browns, Chiefs, Redskins or Chargers, Marty is responsible for very few loses.At least I can agree with part of your post. Marty is a great motivator and smart enough to leave most of the play calling up to his two coordinators.

The thing that killed me about him last year was failure to get his young players some P/T... Today he proved even an old dog can change his ways and still learn. It is going to be a long haul after this 3rd week bye week - we are going to NEED some of those young guys he gave a chance to get on the field today. (I think he was probably pressured to do so by his coordinators - either or both of whom may be head coaches themselves in 2007)...

Jmasta911
09-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Ya Marty is a pretty good coach.I have seen better but he isnt bad at all

Chargerizer
09-17-2006, 07:23 PM
I think Marty is a good coach. We'll call him great if we win a couple superbowls. I think luck does have something to do with it, but usually if you are good, luck goes your way. I remember when people used to question whether Elway was a good qurterback. A couple of superbowls and he's one of the greatest of all time. Well, I guess it's up to Marty. You can't say that this team has any deficiencies. If he can't win a superbowl with this team, he never will.

ftwbolt
09-17-2006, 09:10 PM

Couldn't the the same thing be said for the Bolts Players and Staff ?

spysnipedis
09-17-2006, 09:59 PM
He's a great coach, sometimes a little conservative.

JerryinCA
09-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Couldn't the the same thing be said for the Bolts Players and Staff ?

Ofcourse but the press doesn't go on and on about Marty they way they do about BB in New England.

leeh1128
09-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Marty is a great coach.

Waylon138
09-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Winningest active coach in the NFL!!!

FamousSDboltz
09-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Marty is a good Coach. He is the perfect coach for the Chargers. Just look at his W-L record vs the Raiders and that should be enough to put him in the Charger hall of fame.

curtisboltfan
09-21-2006, 05:25 PM
i second this quote,your regular season stats or record doesn't mean S**T! if u can't pull off a victory.a great coach has a sb under his belt, bottom line!:Helmet: still like marty however, just needs to pull out tricks in da playoffs to catch teams off guard.

JtBoY20
09-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Marty is a good coach however, he made some decisions that cost us a few games last year. The playoff game against the Jets was Nate Kaeding's fault..too much pressure on a rookie but thats the NFL.

stanfouts
09-23-2006, 07:41 PM

Maybe we should use you since you know what the Chargers need to do... lol

stanfouts
09-23-2006, 07:46 PM
i second this quote,your regular season stats or record doesn't mean S**T! if u can't pull off a victory.a great coach has a sb under his belt, bottom line!:Helmet: still like marty however, just needs to pull out tricks in da playoffs to catch teams off guard.

Tricks??? why is a playoff game different from any other day in the NFL season. The only thing that changes is the fact is you go home if you lose. I do not see the need to use "tricks" or "smoke and mirrors" stick with what got you there.

mk87
09-23-2006, 08:15 PM
The W/L's in the regular season is what takes a team to the post season though.

Marty is not old school. Punt fakes, going for it on 4th downs (6/6 in 2005), one of the most successful team in the red zone, and one of the highest scoring teams aren't statistics of a team with an "old school" HC.

Sometimes it gets frustrating seeing LT run on 1st/2nd & long, but when considering the whole game in perspective, playcalling has been "surprising".

FanSince1979
09-23-2006, 08:36 PM

Marty is not old school. Punt fakes, going for it on 4th downs (6/6 in 2005), one of the most successful team in the red zone, and one of the highest scoring teams aren't statistics of a team with an "old school" HC.

Sometimes it gets frustrating seeing LT run on 1st/2nd & long, but when considering the whole game in perspective, playcalling has been "surprising".Then what? Isn't the only point of winning in the regular season to make the post-season? I would love to see Marty use Punt fakes and go for it on 4th downs in the post-season, but he is too old-school for that.

BTW, nice signature.

ftwbolt
09-24-2006, 01:31 PM

Sometimes it gets frustrating seeing LT run on 1st/2nd & long, but when considering the whole game in perspective, playcalling has been "surprising".

Aaahhhh !!! the Bolts didn't open the Offense up untill the 2004 season !!

mk87
09-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Aaahhhh !!! the Bolts didn't open the Offense up untill the 2004 season !!

That just shows that Marty is not as Rigid as some of you guys accuse him of being.

mk87
09-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Then what? Isn't the only point of winning in the regular season to make the post-season? I would love to see Marty use Punt fakes and go for it on 4th downs in the post-season, but he is too old-school for that.

BTW, nice signature.
Do we judge how his style in the playoffs by the season of (in which he's shown that he has a few tricks up his sleeves) or from previous playoffs years before he's adapted a new style and team?

I don't think we lost because of Marty's supposed "old school-ness" before OT (yes, I admit it he got a little "old school" with the LT runs before the Kaeding missed FG, but it could've been Cam Cameron calling the plays for all it's worth). The team dug themselves a hole way before OT with constant penalties and it's not like Marty didn't want to win it any less than the team with his contribution of the "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty.

Final question: would you guys say Peyton Manning is a bad QB?

FanSince1979
09-24-2006, 02:09 PM
That just shows that Marty is not as Rigid as some of you guys accuse him of being.Does that pic in your signature match your silk sheets?

ftwbolt
09-24-2006, 02:13 PM
That just shows that Marty is not as Rigid as some of you guys accuse him of being.

So what took him so long?

mk87
09-24-2006, 02:20 PM
So what took him so long?

It didn't take him long.
A new relatively team, maybe?

TJ21
09-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Does that pic in your signature match your silk sheets?
Dude, calm down about those sigs. They're not using them to make any type of statement, they're using them because they are freakin hilarious. :D

FanSince1979
09-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Dude, calm down about those sigs. They're not using them to make any type of statement, they're using them because they are freakin hilarious. :DHow would you know? Did you have some sort of discussion with BCBoltFan and CANT TOUCH DIZ?

It is easy for you to say, because the stupid signature isn't directed at you.

With that said, despite their childish baiting behavior, I don't give a crud.

If they want to wear a feminine pink signature, more power to them. Or should I say, more snaps to them? :p

JCDavey
09-24-2006, 03:45 PM
How would you know? Did you have some sort of discussion with BCBoltFan and CANT TOUCH DIZ?

It is easy for you to say, because the stupid signature isn't directed at you.

With that said, despite their childish baiting behavior, I don't give a crud.

If they want to wear a feminine pink signature, more power to them. Or should I say, more snaps to them? :pthe sig is kinda hilarious

as for CTD , she probably doesn't mind that it's feminine, because she's a chick.......mensa

FanSince1979
09-24-2006, 04:31 PM
The others I can't say what their intentions are, but I do know for a fact that JCDavey is doing it to bait me. The troll should have been banned a long time ago. I told him that I added him to my ignore list, but like all trolls, he won't do the same.

JCDavey, troll the others posters, and leave me the **** alone!!!

JCDavey
09-24-2006, 04:37 PM
The others I can't say what their intentions are, but I do know for a fact that JCDavey is doing it to bait me. The troll should have been banned a long time ago. I told him that I added him to my ignore list, but like all trolls, he won't do the same.

JCDavey, troll the others posters, and leave me the **** alone!!!oh you added me to your ignore list at this forum? sorry i didn't see where you posted that.....oh you can't read this if i'm on your ignore list, so carry on.

mk87
09-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Dude, calm down about those sigs. They're not using them to make any type of statement, they're using them because they are freakin hilarious. :D

Wrong. I wanted Chad Jackson, but I got this sig instead. Duh.

TJ21
09-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Wrong. I wanted Chad Jackson, but I got this sig instead. Duh.
Haha. Sorry, I spoke too soon I suppose.