PDA

View Full Version : Who's had the best preseason starters in AFC West?

Cutler6
08-31-2006, 02:34 PM
I've got to say my Broncos allowing no TD's and only 3 FG's. Let me here what all the rest of you think and why...

Charger Dave
08-31-2006, 02:38 PM
I've got to say my Broncos allowing no TD's and only 3 FG's. Let me here what all the rest of you think and why...Nobody will care after this weekend. Predictably everybody will forget about the exhibitions except the players that looked good then won't get on the starting squads.

I doubt, however, that Rivers will ever forget about the importance of proper ball handling at this level. :D

JCDavey
08-31-2006, 02:39 PM
I've got to say my Broncos allowing no TD's and only 3 FG's. Let me here what all the rest of you think and why...i'm pretty sure the chargers 1st string D has allowed 0 points on drives started after a punt or kickoff (ie not after a turnover)

that's always how i judge a defensive performance

honestly i haven't seen hardly any of the broncos or chiefs preseason games so i can't comment on them, from what i saw of the raiders 1st string D, they looked horrible mostly

Cutler6
08-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Nobody will care after this weekend. Predictably everybody will forget about the exhibitions except the players that looked good then won't get on the starting squads.

I doubt, however, that Rivers will ever forget about the importance of proper ball handling at this level. :D
Dave,
I think you will be excited after you play the niners this weekend. It is a great team to build some confidence. Chargers will spank them unless the niners keep the starters in the whole game!

Charger Dave
08-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Dave,
I think you will be excited after you play the niners this weekend. It is a great team to build some confidence. Chargers will spank them unless the niners keep the starters in the whole game!Well - I think you might be selling me a bit short - I won't be overly excited either way. ;)

My only interest in the Bolts/49ers game (barring lamenting injuries) will be to go back and look at how our young (2nd and 3rd string) O-Line looked in game simulation. There is also an interesting competition between Malcom Floyd and Greg Camarillo for a (final) W/R spot and a couple more "young guns" at LB to provide entertainment. (Watch Tim Dobbins if you get to see the game).:Beer:

Marty said it yesterday "Nothing is forgotten about any faster than the score of a final preseason game". (I may be paraphrasing a bit but that is pretty close).

JCDavey
08-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Dave,
I think you will be excited after you play the niners this weekend. It is a great team to build some confidence. Chargers will spank them unless the niners keep the starters in the whole game!chargers will mainly be playing non starters from what i have heard so it should be a very who cares type of game

ltomlinson16
08-31-2006, 02:57 PM
this isnt exactly a fair question on a chargers forum...

but anyways The starting Defense was absolutely disgusting, i dont think they gave up a point.

Cutler6
08-31-2006, 03:02 PM
i'm pretty sure the chargers 1st string D has allowed 0 points on drives started after a punt or kickoff (ie not after a turnover)

that's always how i judge a defensive performance

honestly i haven't seen hardly any of the broncos or chiefs preseason games so i can't comment on them, from what i saw of the raiders 1st string D, they looked horrible mostly
JC,
I have to admit your D is looking much stronger than last. You guys have the kept your oponents down to around 190yrds per game.
I like the fact that we have had about 350 yrd of offense per game.
The Raider fans may have something to say since they have not lost.
Here's to a great season! :Beer:

Cutler6
08-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Well - I think you might be selling me a bit short - I won't be overly excited either way. ;)

My only interest in the Bolts/49ers game (barring lamenting injuries) will be to go back and look at how our young (2nd and 3rd string) O-Line looked in game simulation. There is also an interesting competition between Malcom Floyd and Greg Camarillo for a (final) W/R spot and a couple more "young guns" at LB to provide entertainment. (Watch Tim Dobbins if you get to see the game).:Beer:

Marty said it yesterday "Nothing is forgotten about any faster than the score of a final preseason game". (I may be paraphrasing a bit but that is pretty close).
I'm for Greg Camarillo. He's friends with my sis!

Charger Dave
08-31-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm for Greg Camarillo. He's friends with my sis!That's pretty cool! Both Greg and Malcom have literally paid their dues to become better receivers over this past year - and both have shown a ton of improvement IMO. Marty indicated that either one could make the team if not both - but I'll believe the latter when I see it. We are wild about our entire LB core and its going to be real hard to cut into that group. Again quoting Marty "this may be the 1st time in my career I've kept double-digit linebackers".

It will all be clear as mud after Saturday. ;)

Personally I'm a lot more interested in seeing improvement out of our O-Line and defensive backfield this year. (Sound just like last year?) Both of our teams have a lot of reason for hope - but neither of us will know for sure until the "games that count" get started.:Beer:

TJ21
08-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Raiders... Brooks looked good, Moss looked better and that D looked okay.

Chargeroo
08-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Looks like we need some chiefs fans - or, maybe we have a bunch of them that already made their pick and they know how bad they look?

Pre-season scores mean zip - the Chargers D and the Broncos D have looked great but the teams play a very vanilla offense so what does it mean? Nothing.

Charger Dave
08-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Looks like we need some chiefs fans - or, maybe we have a bunch of them that already made their pick and they know how bad they look?

Pre-season scores mean zip - the Chargers D and the Broncos D have looked great but the teams play a very vanilla offense so what does it mean? Nothing.Shhh... Don't disturb them - they are waiting for Big Willie to come out of retirement...

Er.... obviously I meant Roaf?

LIGHTS.OUT.
08-31-2006, 07:05 PM
I would much rather see than Malcom Floyd than Greg Camarillo

El Presidente
09-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Who had the best Preseason?

That would be Ray Perkins. He led the NFL in preseason rushing yards.

Thunderstruck21
09-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Really ray perkins did, maybe we should keep him what was his yards per carry?

JCDavey
09-02-2006, 12:41 AM
cobbs who led NE in preseason rushing was dealt to pitt

crittydog
09-02-2006, 01:31 AM
For the AFC west, I vote who cares. Why? because its pre-season and it doesn't count. Didn't the Chargers go 4-0 in the pre-season, the year that they finished with the 1-15 record? And today we lose to the 49ers. For an Individual, I say LT:21: . The team that had the best pre-season is the team that avoided injuries the best. Thats the most important part of pre-season. Right LT? What do you think Clinton Portis?

Pot Roast
09-02-2006, 10:12 AM
KC simply looked awful: Heres to hoping it continues! :Beer::Beer:

Chargeroo
09-02-2006, 10:49 AM
To take a postitive out of the defense, they shut down teams they are meant to shut down, lesser teams like San Fran & detroit. That is good because over the Turner Years, they couldn't even do that, so that can equate to more wins. Same applies to the Raider offense. Elite offense and even some high middle of the road teams will give them fits. I'd like to see them for a whole game to see if they adjust. The o-line was the most disappointing.

I saw nothing of KC and flashes of San Diego & Denver but from what I heard, Denver looked good & San Diego is ready. I've heard nothing on the Chiefs so I can't comment on them. I never feel at an advantage when discussing a team in the pre-season unless I'm familiar with them enough to know if they are playing regulars or reserves. In the case of the raiders, I really only watched them a couple of times and just the first half in each case so I'll have to wait for the regular season to see what this years edition of the raiders has to offer.

Thunderstruck
09-02-2006, 11:26 AM
The Chargers played about as conservative a preseason as I've ever seen from this team. Key starters barely played at all, the offense was about as vanilla as you can get, rookies and second-year players got loooong looks, and the coaching staff did not coach to win. I guess it's a good thing to know what you have.

Chargeroo
09-02-2006, 12:09 PM
The Chargers played about as conservative a preseason as I've ever seen from this team. Key starters barely played at all, the offense was about as vanilla as you can get, rookies and second-year players got loooong looks, and the coaching staff did not coach to win. I guess it's a good thing to know what you have.True, and they learned something by playing it that way., They learned their rookie LOT is pretty decent.They learned Whitehurst is about two years away from being ready for the NFL - nice, strong arm though. They may have found a fine young RB too.

Nomad
09-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I agree, it never looked like we played to win. We played to evaluate. I think we might have found two pretty good RBs, only time will tell. The game 9/11 against the Faiders will be a completly different type and style of game. That will be a game we will really be trying to win. What I really liked about last night was out #2 defense shutting down their #1 offense.

SDChargeHer
09-03-2006, 05:24 AM
I've got to say my Broncos allowing no TD's and only 3 FG's. Let me here what all the rest of you think and why...

i say the chargers have. n donks suck how bout that.

boltbacker_ed
09-03-2006, 07:43 AM
JC,
I have to admit your D is looking much stronger than last. You guys have the kept your oponents down to around 190yrds per game.
I like the fact that we have had about 350 yrd of offense per game.
The Raider fans may have something to say since they have not lost.
Here's to a great season! :Beer:
well they finally lost one to seattle. It was nice to see the chickens woop on the raiders:D

sonorajim
09-03-2006, 10:43 AM
The Chargers played about as conservative a preseason as I've ever seen from this team. Key starters barely played at all, the offense was about as vanilla as you can get, rookies and second-year players got loooong looks, and the coaching staff did not coach to win. I guess it's a good thing to know what you have.
Yep, that was about as plain, toned down yogurt offense as I've seen. The one thing, I saw the starting O-line work a lot of reps on their run blocking and it was pretty good.

Cutler6
09-06-2006, 03:12 PM
i say the chargers have. n donks suck how bout that.
HUh? :confused:
What is that?
I would have to say that your number #2 rb is looking like the real deal. You may some competition if LT can't produce or gets hurt.

sanluischargerfan
09-06-2006, 04:34 PM

I would say Denver's Offense and San Diego's defense. Then Oakland when they played weaker teams and finally KC. KC looked a little lost even when their starters were in the game. They did improve each week...

BIGOmeGA91
09-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah LT had a strong preseason. we need him for the regular season! smart move marty!