PDA

View Full Version : First Down and a Billion by Gene Klein.

Dan40
10-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Anybody read this book before?

http://i.biblio.com/b/414m/19501414-0-m.jpg

I picked it up at a thrift shop for $1. So far, it's a great read. Apparently, ol' Gene didn't like Mr. Allen Davis:

Over the years I've come to understand that Al Davis has a personality problem. He doesn't have one.

:D

I'm really not old enough to know about the Klein team shenanigans, only following the Chargers since 1980, but it's a nice read. Looks like he got some help from co-author David Fisher (The Umpire Strikes Back) to get his personality on paper.

Something tells me that the whole early Klein era (1970-1977) is not going to covered by Todd Tobias (AFLChargers) anytime soon, ;) so this will definitely fill in some gaps.

AFLChargers
10-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Oh, I covered that era also in Bombs Away! I made sure that I picked up where Charging Through the AFL left off. But I have read Mr. Klein's book also. It is a lot of laughs and has some good history in it. It is well worth your $1 investment!

Thunderstruck21
10-02-2006, 07:44 PM
yeah i have this book, its a pretty good read.

Dan40
10-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Oh, I covered that era also in Bombs Away! I made sure that I picked up where Charging Through the AFL left off. But I have read Mr. Klein's book also. It is a lot of laughs and has some good history in it. It is well worth your $1 investment!
I guess I meant to say the treatment of those years are sparser compared to the glory years of 1978-1982. ;)

Todd, I haven't found either of your books in a thrift shop yet. I guess that's a good thing for you. :D

TrabucoWR
10-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Another good read is "The Nightmare Season", written as a first-hand account by a local shrink hired by Klein to work with the team, early 70's.

AFLChargers
10-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Nightmare Season is pretty interesting. I was in contact with Dr. Mandell for the early 1970s general history in Bombs Away! He had some pretty interesting things to say and was very helpful. BTW, he is the author of Nightmare Season (and he autographed my copy for me!)

Tomlinson21
10-03-2006, 09:11 AM
I bet if it was 1st down and a billion yards....Marty would still call a run play.

Dan40
10-04-2006, 03:36 PM
I bet if it was 1st down and a billion yards....Marty would still call a run play.
Please take the snipes at Marty out of this thread.

I started this thread as a respite from that this weekend! :mad:

Nomad
10-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Dan, I do remember once that Klein accused Al Davis of causing or trying to cause him to have a heart attack. And also something about Al not having a heart so he couldn't have a heart attack. I need to try and find that book. :)

Totally Bolted
10-04-2006, 09:06 PM
I agree, the so called Marty ball is designed to lose. He is the worst coach ever. He plays "not to lose" versis "to win" His coaching is outdated and long gone, as he should be. I have said for many years that Chargers will go no where with him. He has the best talent, yet refuses to use the players, somehow he thinks he can control the game from the sideline. His control of the game left long ago when he left the playing field. He needs to let the excellent players he has, .......play!!!! It's to bad we will waste the talent we have until he leaves, it ashame. Come on he comes out the 2nd half with a meager lead and "runs" Marty ball the whole half, give me three bucks and I will call a better game than that. The Charger orginization allows him to continue they will continue to lose fan base. No one likes to lose because of the coach .

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, Martyball, BLAH, too conservative, BLAh, Blah, Get over it. Cam calls the plays.

TrabucoWR
10-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Nightmare Season is pretty interesting. I was in contact with Dr. Mandell for the early 1970s general history in Bombs Away! He had some pretty interesting things to say and was very helpful. BTW, he is the author of Nightmare Season (and he autographed my copy for me!)

Favorite quote from that book; Dr. Mandell talking to Charger head coach Harland Svare:

Mandell: "[So] what's going on?"
Svare: "You mean besides playing Atlanta today in front of fifty thousand pissed-off San Diego fans?"
Mandell: "I remember that. No, I mean is there anything good happening?"

El Presidente
10-07-2006, 09:32 AM
I've got a copy on the book shelf. On the years I make a Vegas run, I put my Charger SB $10 bet tickets in there. I have big stack.

Shamrock
10-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Anybody read this book before?

http://i.biblio.com/b/414m/19501414-0-m.jpg

I picked it up at a thrift shop for $1. So far, it's a great read. Apparently, ol' Gene didn't like Mr. Allen Davis:

Klein HATED Al Davis.

I just found it on eBay "Buy it Now" ..... $4.95

El Presidente
10-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Klein HATED Al Davis.

I just found it on eBay "Buy it Now" ..... $4.95

If Gene Klien hated Al Davis; that makes it unanimous.