PDA

View Full Version : Broncos lose left tackle Lepsis for Season

Boltbaby
10-23-2006, 11:39 PM
From NFL Network's Adam Schefter:

As if the injury itself weren't a painful enough blow to the Broncos, the timing of it is. It comes in the week before the Broncos play the Colts and their Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/313800). This now means that Denver is expected to start undrafted free agent Erik Pears (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/552711), who would draw Freeney. The Broncos also could opt to move guard Cooper Carlisle (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187504) to left tackle, though that would disrupt two positions along the offensive line. And Denver also is scheduled to work out former Browns offensive tackle Kirk Chambers (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492904), who was a standout at Stanford.
Pears fared well when he replaced Lepsis on Sunday. But it's one thing to go against the Browns. It's another to go against Freeney.
The Broncos could have turned to former Colts offensive tackle Adam Meadows (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12559), but he was busy Monday undergoing his own MRI. Meadows has been battling a lingering shoulder problem that will not go away. But Denver will miss Lepsis.
"Anytime you lose one of your top players for the season it is always a pretty good punch, a knockout punch almost," said Broncos coach Mike Shanahan. "That is just the nature of this game. We will have one of our guys step up and get the job done whatever direction we go. Matt has done a great job when he has been in there. His ACL injury is very similar to the one (center) Tommy (Nalen) had in 2002 and so hopefully -- even though it is a setback for him, he will go through rehab and be ready to go next year."

Farmer808
10-23-2006, 11:59 PM
YES! *fist pump*, nah thats wrong cheering for an injury.....get better soon

Totally Bolted
10-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Hmmm... smells like a loss for the Donks. I like it.
have to say this year seems like a really bad year for injuries. Not just bruises or sprains, but ACL's, concussions, tendons. Maybe some one can verify this year is worse. I sure hope things slow up in this regard. Hate to see season ending injuries.

Clint Beastwood
10-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Was it Lepsis that took out Jamals knee a few years ago or was it someone else??

TJ21
10-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Good... one less dirty player. Shaun Phillips will be back for that game too... oh good. :-)

JCDavey
10-24-2006, 12:16 AM
i don't think it matters if they had lepsis or not for the colts game, i can't remember the last time the colts lost to denver when they didn't yet have a playoff spot clinched.

indy just owns them it seems, if denver wins that game i'll be kinda shocked.

broncosgc
10-24-2006, 06:45 AM
i don't think it matters if they had lepsis or not for the colts game, i can't remember the last time the colts lost to denver when they didn't yet have a playoff spot clinched.

We'll see....

chargershark
10-24-2006, 07:51 AM
It's always a huge blow to lose your starting left tackle, & I'm sure whoever they put at LT will have their hands full with Freeney. But, I don't think it'll be quite as devastating to the Donks as some may think. Remember, Denver is not a team that's rebuilding --- they entered this season thinking play-offs & hoping for a Super Bowl. I'm sure if their back-up LT was really bad, they would've upgraded. They didn't, so they must have some confidence in him. Plus, their coaches will make the necessary adjustments & provide some help on that side. Yeah, this injury will effect the offense --- but it won't turn the game into the route that some seem to think.

All that said, this should be an interesting game. Yeah, the Colts have beaten the Donks over the past few years, but the Donks will still find a way to run the ball, which Indy struggles to stop. Meanwhile, Denver's D is a pretty good one, matching up against Indy's top-level O. Whoever makes the least mistakes will win. I'll take Indy by 7.

JCDavey
10-24-2006, 08:22 AM
We'll see....it wasn't meant as smack, man, i'll actually be very impressed with your team if you beat indy, and i'll believe you deserve to actually leap the bears as the #1 team in the nfl rankings. I'm just going off of recent history.

RAWDOGG
10-24-2006, 08:29 AM
By the time we see Denver we might be going after Cutler

JCDavey
10-24-2006, 08:53 AM
By the time we see Denver we might be going after Cutleri'd be more scared of cutler right now but at the same time he's a true rookie, i'm not sure they are going to trust their team to him just yet unless jake really messes up. so far jake hasn't really warraned removal.

Cutler6
10-24-2006, 09:58 AM

Some stats for ya...
The Broncos and Colts will meet for the 16th time in the regular season on Sunday with Denver posting an 11-4 all-time record against Indianapolis, including a 6-1 mark at home... The two clubs also have met twice in the postseason with the Colts earning two AFC Wild Card Game wins (2003 and ‘04 seasons) against the Broncos... The Broncos have won their last three games and five of their last six when playing a team for the first time since facing it in the postseason (In its most recent game against the Colts, Denver lost 49-24 on Jan. 2, 2005, in an AFC Wild Card Game)... The Broncos’ .733 all-time regular-season winning percentage against Indianapolis (11-4 rec.) is their second best against any opponent it has played at least 10 times in the regular season... Denver’s .857 all-time home regular-season winning percentage against Indianapolis (6-1 rec.) is its second best against any opponent it has played at least five times at home in the regular season... Sunday’s game against the Colts (6-0) marks only the third time in the Broncos’ history that the club has played a team 6-0 or better in the regular season.
DENVER PLAYING 6-0 OR BETTER TEAMS
Sunday’s game against the Colts (6-0) marks only the third time in the Broncos’ history that the club has played a team 6-0 or better in the regular season. The Broncos most recently played a team 6-0 or better on Oct. 23, 1994, against the Chargers, who were 6-0 at the time. Denver, which was 1-5 at the time, defeated the Chargers 20-15 in San Diego behind 241 passing yards from John Elway (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=834) and 121 receiving yards from Shannon Sharpe. In 1961, Denver (3-4) faced the 7-0 Chargers in San Diego on Oct. 29, and lost that contest 37-0.

LTfan4life
10-24-2006, 10:30 AM
In 1961, Denver (3-4) faced the 7-0 Chargers in San Diego on Oct. 29, and lost that contest 37-0.

:)

Ablahad
10-24-2006, 12:52 PM
One less dirty player.

So.CalBRONCOFAN
10-24-2006, 04:20 PM
it was george foster, not lepsis with that hit against Cincy. Denver will be fine.

Humphries12
10-24-2006, 09:07 PM
The Broncos most recently played a team 6-0 or better on Oct. 23, 1994, against the Chargers, who were 6-0 at the time. Denver, which was 1-5 at the time, defeated the Chargers 20-15 in San Diego behind 241 passing yards from John Elway (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=834) and 121 receiving yards from Shannon Sharpe. In 1961, Denver (3-4) faced the 7-0 Chargers in San Diego on Oct. 29, and lost that contest 37-0.

It wasn't so much Elway or Sharpe, but Stan Brock who stepped on Humphries ankle killing the rally to end the game.

boltfanbarrett
10-24-2006, 09:36 PM
hahahah that sucks for the broncos..haha just wanted to dog on them since i am SURROUNDED by them up here in oregon : ( its sad really, me and my dad are the ONLY bolt fans in oregon im afraid.

LTfan4life
10-24-2006, 09:39 PM
hahahah that sucks for the broncos..haha just wanted to dog on them since i am SURROUNDED by them up here in oregon : ( its sad really, me and my dad are the ONLY bolt fans in oregon im afraid.

And Chargeroo. :)

I feel like I'm the only fan in Denver. Fortunately, I made a thread for the Chargers @ Broncos game and I've found a good 10-15 fans on here in my area.

Rivers+LT=SB
10-28-2006, 01:09 PM

If you think you have it bad, you have no idea. I go to college in Colorado and everyone here is a fuggin bronco fan, and they generally have no idea what they are talking about.

56lightsout56
10-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Some stats for ya...
The Broncos and Colts will meet for the 16th time in the regular season on Sunday with Denver posting an 11-4 all-time record against Indianapolis, including a 6-1 mark at home... The two clubs also have met twice in the postseason with the Colts earning two AFC Wild Card Game wins (2003 and ‘04 seasons) against the Broncos... The Broncos have won their last three games and five of their last six when playing a team for the first time since facing it in the postseason (In its most recent game against the Colts, Denver lost 49-24 on Jan. 2, 2005, in an AFC Wild Card Game)... The Broncos’ .733 all-time regular-season winning percentage against Indianapolis (11-4 rec.) is their second best against any opponent it has played at least 10 times in the regular season... Denver’s .857 all-time home regular-season winning percentage against Indianapolis (6-1 rec.) is its second best against any opponent it has played at least five times at home in the regular season... Sunday’s game against the Colts (6-0) marks only the third time in the Broncos’ history that the club has played a team 6-0 or better in the regular season.
DENVER PLAYING 6-0 OR BETTER TEAMS
Sunday’s game against the Colts (6-0) marks only the third time in the Broncos’ history that the club has played a team 6-0 or better in the regular season. The Broncos most recently played a team 6-0 or better on Oct. 23, 1994, against the Chargers, who were 6-0 at the time. Denver, which was 1-5 at the time, defeated the Chargers 20-15 in San Diego behind 241 passing yards from John Elway (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=834) and 121 receiving yards from Shannon Sharpe. In 1961, Denver (3-4) faced the 7-0 Chargers in San Diego on Oct. 29, and lost that contest 37-0.

its 2006 now get over it.

Boltbaby
10-28-2006, 02:11 PM

Nope. I'm in Medford, and I think Chargeroo is somewhere near Portland.

jamesbond
10-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Hmmm... smells like a loss for the Donks. I like it.
have to say this year seems like a really bad year for injuries. Not just bruises or sprains, but ACL's, concussions, tendons. Maybe some one can verify this year is worse. I sure hope things slow up in this regard. Hate to see season ending injuries.

How many ruptured achille's tendons this year?
I know of two:

1. Reggie Hayward, Jags
2. Lavar Arrington, Giants

...both apparently untouched on the plays, and both against the right side of the Cowboys' line...

I thought ruptured achille's tendons were quite rare.

Rivers_owns
10-28-2006, 05:49 PM
It is a tradition of mine to put $10 on two seperate games every week... This week one of those teams I'm putting $10 on is the Colts.. So this is good news for me and the Colts! :D

byteme202
10-28-2006, 06:49 PM
It is a tradition of mine to put $10 on two seperate games every week... This week one of those teams I'm putting $10 on is the Colts.. So this is good news for me and the Colts! :D
How's your percentage if it's 100% I feel good! :Beer: