PDA

View Full Version : Charger Game Moved

GOBOLTS4Life
11-06-2006, 12:14 PM
This is good for me since I dont have Dish network nor am I in San Diego to watch the games.. Were getting recognized as a good team...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9782768

PiscesBoltFan
11-06-2006, 01:43 PM
That's awesome! I love night games; even if that means being tired for work on Monday.

Sanitation Man
11-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Wow! In place of the Colts-Cowboys game? Nice. :Beer:

SDRANGER619
11-06-2006, 02:13 PM
C'mon guys, lets check the new posts...

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=35211

grunt1058
11-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Bummer. Couldn't they have picked a different game to move? I already get all Denver games. If they had moved a different game, then, I'd have had another game to watch.

Oh well. I'll take what I can get.

SP17BOLT
11-06-2006, 03:57 PM
It's great i guess.

Charger Rific
11-10-2006, 08:12 AM
I will finally be able to go shoping, and come back in time for the charger game :D We are getting some respect now :)

JCDavey
11-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Wow! In place of the Colts-Cowboys game? Nice. :Beer:it's more than likely because cbs used protection on the colts cowboys game

people are forgetting cbs and fox have the right to protect some of these games over the week 11 to week 16 timeframe.

TJ21
11-10-2006, 08:20 AM
it's more than likely because cbs used protection on the colts cowboys game

people are forgetting cbs and fox have the right to protect some of these games over the week 11 to week 16 timeframe.
That's not why. The Colts Cowboys game was scheduled to be the game that aired that week. CBS and FOX can only protect games 3 weeks (1 week earlier than NBC has to make their choice) in advance.

JCDavey
11-10-2006, 08:24 AM
That's not why. The Colts Cowboys game was scheduled to be the game that aired that week. CBS and FOX can only protect games 3 weeks (1 week earlier than NBC has to make their choice) in advance.do you have a link saying that ? how do we know that it wasn't protected?

TJ21
11-10-2006, 08:30 AM
do you have a link saying that ? how do we know that it wasn't protected?
I'm assuming, since NBC had it penciled in and then decided to change it. NBC could've made a mistake though. :-/

JCDavey
11-10-2006, 08:34 AM
http://www.jaguars.com/Story/5097.asp

The NFL this season will implement for the first time in its history a primetime “flexible scheduling” element on Sundays in Weeks 10-15 and in Week 17.

Flexible scheduling will ensure quality matchups on Sunday night in those weeks and give surprise teams a chance to play their way onto primetime.

The 2006 NFL schedule will list start times for all Sunday games during the “flex” weeks as 1:00 PM ET, except for games played in the Mountain or Pacific Time zones, which will be listed at 4:05 PM ET or 4:15 PM ET.

The NBC Sunday night time slot for “flex” weeks will list teams as “TBD.”

Only Sunday afternoon games are eligible to be moved. Flexible scheduling will not be applied to games airing on Thursday, Saturday or Monday nights.

Just as the six major college football conferences have done for many years, the NFL now will have additional flexibility to move the start times of games on Sundays, using a 12-day notice format.

For example, a game scheduled for Sunday, November 26 could move from a 1:00 PM ET kickoff to an 8:15 PM start, but the change would be made and announced no later than Tuesday, November 14.

The NFL has commonly moved games between 1:00 PM ET and 4:15 PM ET (eight times last season) on Sunday afternoons. The new practice allows the NFL to employ flexible scheduling to include one of its primetime package of games – on Sunday evenings.

Sunday afternoon games, as in the past, can still be moved between 1:00 and 4:05 or 4:15 ET.

In Week 17, in order to ensure a Sunday night game with playoff implications, the decision to move the start time may be made on six days notice.

CBS and FOX will each be able to protect a total of five games in the seven weeks of flexible scheduling, but not more than one game in any week.

During the 2005 regular season, the NFL conducted a study with mock flexible scheduling. An eight-person task force consisting of team executives, one from each division, was consulted on a weekly basis. In addition, television network partners and the NFL's broadcasting department participated weekly in the process.

-- more --

“NFL Flexible Scheduling 101”

• Begins Sunday, November 12, 2006 (Week 10)

• In effect Weeks 10-15 and Week 17.

• Not in effect Week 16 due to holiday weekend.

• Only Sunday afternoon games in Weeks 10-15 and 17 are subject to being moved into the Sunday night window.

• The majority of games on Sundays will be listed at 1:00 PM ET during flex weeks except for games played in Pacific or Mountain Time zones which will be listed at 4:05 or 4:15 PM ET.

• No impact on Thursday, Saturday or Monday night games.

• The NFL will decide (after consultation with CBS, FOX, NBC) and announce on 12 days notice the game being moved to 8:15 p.m. ET and may also announce games moving to 4:15 p.m. ET.

• Week 17 start time changes could be decided on 6 days notice to ensure game with playoff implications.

• The NBC Sunday night time slot in “flex” weeks will list teams as “TBD.”

• Fans and ticket holders must be aware that NFL games in flex weeks are subject to change 12 days in advance (6 days in Week 17) and should plan accordingly.

• NFL schedules all games.

• CBS and FOX each get to protect a total of 5 games in the 7 weeks of flexible scheduling, but not more than one game in any week.

• Teams will be informed as soon as they are no longer under consideration or eligible for a move to Sunday night.

JCDavey
11-10-2006, 08:36 AM
the networks (cbs and fox) choose before nbc does is my point

i think in this case san diego / denver was the 2nd choice (indy dallas is just a better national matchup)

i'd love to find a link to prove or disprove it though.

TJ21
11-10-2006, 08:36 AM
So when do they choose which games to protect? 12 Days beforehand with NBC? I just didn't think the Cowboys Colts was a marquee game. The cowboys look pretty "eh" this year. You're probably right though. TO, Manning, Parcells.

JCDavey
11-10-2006, 08:40 AM
this article almost makes it sound like cbs used their one indy protection , in week 10, which i think would be absurd (and it doesn't say they definately did do that) -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9785842

Week 10: Flex scheduling makes matchups fun http://m1.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/3499/0/0/%2a/x;44306;0-0;0;10732674;238-150/30;0/0/0;u=RS6qAgq0HnYAAHBLQzs;~sscs=%3f)

(Nov. 7, 2006) -- The second half of the NFL season -- the final eight games for each team -- starts this weekend. The intensity of the run to the playoffs is about to begin.
In Week 10:
The Indianapolis Colts -- the NFL's only undefeated team -- will seek to lift their record to 9-0 when they host Buffalo. Last year, Indy won its first 13 games. They can become the first team in history to post consecutive 9-0 starts.
The Chicago Bears will now play the New York Giants on Sunday night as flexible scheduling begins. Flex scheduling will ensure quality matchups in all the Sunday time slots in Weeks 10-15 and in Week 17. In Week 10, the Bears at Giants game moves from its 1 p.m. ET spot to the 8:15 ET slot, and New Orleans-Pittsburgh changes from 1 p.m. ET to 4:15 p.m. ET.
There is a host of big division games this week. It's the Jets against the Patriots, the Redskins opposite the Eagles, the Rams versus the Seahawks, and the Bucs against the Panthers, among others.
So, second half, here we come, with who knows what in store? "It's obviously way too early to be writing anybody off or crowning anybody," says Giants center Shaun O'Hara (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/196545). "We all know it's a dogfight."

JCDavey
11-10-2006, 08:45 AM
So when do they choose which games to protect? 12 Days beforehand with NBC? I just didn't think the Cowboys Colts was a marquee game. The cowboys look pretty "eh" this year. You're probably right though. TO, Manning, Parcells.it says the nfl announces it 12 days in advance, but they had to consult with the networks then nbc so i would say like you said, decisions are made well in advance of the games, so at the time i bet indy and dallas looked pretty sweet and cbs didn't want to lose it.

despite the cowboys looking sub par (they might not have when cbs if and when cbs chose this indy road game), if i'm cbs i protect that game before sd/den just based on the dallas fanbase and the indy possibly still being unbeaten story.

i think indy dallas is a way better draw than sd/denver

TCUFAN5
11-10-2006, 09:28 AM
im glad maybe i can see some more chargers games later.. YESSSS!!!

JCDavey
11-10-2006, 09:31 AM
im glad maybe i can see some more chargers games later.. YESSSS!!!i think we will get another sunday night game depending on if any of our remaining games are protected by cbs or fox. i'm pulling for kc vs sd!

TCUFAN5
11-10-2006, 09:34 AM
i think our hard games need to be on sunday night... because for some reason they arent giving us any props.. and when we win they will see it PRIME TIME...and they cant shut up about the COLTS and the Patriots

JCDavey
11-10-2006, 09:41 AM
i think our hard games need to be on sunday night... because for some reason they arent giving us any props.. and when we win they will see it PRIME TIME...and they cant shut up about the COLTS and the Patriotsif we run cincy denver oakland and the bills down, you're going to see so many props it will make your head spin

paul.almryde
11-10-2006, 10:12 AM
:Bolt: Who cares why as long as the Chargers will be seen by all.:Bolt: Go Chargers

Balboa 1961
11-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Here's an interesting article on the flex scheduling:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/bill_syken/11/10/flex/

Forecasting the flex

Predicting games NBC will choose for Sunday nights

Posted: Friday November 10, 2006 11:58AM; Updated: Friday November 10, 2006 12:11PM

http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gifhttp://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/bill_syken/11/10/flex/p1_vick_si.jpg
NBC would likely choose games featuring Falcons quarterback Michael Vick if they're available.

http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gif

Sunday night's New York Giants-Chicago Bears game will be the first under the NFL's new flex-scheduling with NBC, followed a week later by a can't-miss San Diego vs. Denver showdown. We looked at the remaining weeks and took our best guesses as to what game NBC will end up broadcasting those nights. Bear in mind that CBS and Fox were allowed to pull up to five games from consideration during the seven weeks of flex scheduling -- and no more than one per week -- before NBC makes its selection, 12 days prior to the game.
WEEK 12

Potential pulls: Philadelphia vs. Indianapolis (Fox), Chicago vs. New England (CBS)
Best alternative for NBC: New Orleans vs. Atlanta
Comment: Michael Vick vs. Reggie Bush is a decent leftover, considering the entire Sunday slate was already pared down by the three games scheduled for Thanksgiving Day.
WEEK 13

Potential pull: Seattle vs. Denver (Fox), (Nothing worth protecting on CBS)
Best alternative for NBC: Dallas vs. New York Giants
Comment: Both of the above games are Fox, as is the next best option, Minnesota vs. Chicago. CBS's offerings are so middling during this week -- the highlights are Indy vs. Tennessee and Jacksonville vs. Miami -- that NBC probably wouldn't bother. For our money, we're pulling for Parcells and T.O. in the Meadowlands.
WEEK 14

Potential pulls: New Orleans vs. Dallas (Fox), Indianapolis vs. Jacksonville (CBS)
Best alternative for NBC: Denver vs. San Diego
Comment: CBS, which also has Baltimore vs. Kansas City, will be giving a game to NBC this week. If it's Denver vs. San Diego, suspended Chargers defensive end Shawne Merriman will be back for this one.
WEEK 15

Potential pulls: Philadelphia vs. New York Giants (Fox), Kansas City vs. San Diego (CBS)
Best alternative for NBC: Pittsburgh vs. Carolina
Comment: Slim pickings, in part because the best games of the week are on Saturday night (Dallas vs. Atlanta) and Monday night (Cincinnati vs. Indianapolis). Anyone up for Houston at New England, Jacksonville at Tennessee? Didn't think so.
WEEK 16

Christmas Eve, no Sunday night game.
WEEK 17

Potential pulls: Atlanta vs. Philadelphia (Fox), Jacksonville vs. Kansas City (CBS)
Best alternative for NBC: St. Louis vs. Minnesota
Comment: The wild card is Miami vs. Indianapolis, where Tony Dungy could either be going for 16-0 or resting his starters. Or possibly both.