PDA

View Full Version : Raiders RB Jordan Injured

Blue Bolt
11-21-2006, 12:08 AM
For Raiders, it's QB Brooks in, RB Jordan out after knee injury
Nov. 20, 2006 - CBS SportsLine.com wire reports
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9818336

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Just when quarterback Aaron Brooks returned to give Oakland's struggling offense a needed boost, the Raiders lost starting running back LaMont Jordan to a knee injury that could sideline him for the rest of the season.

Jordan underwent an MRI on Monday, a day after tearing the medial collateral ligament in his left knee. Coach Art Shell didn't know the extent of the tear when he addressed the media and was unsure how long Jordan would be sidelined.

Jordan said he wouldn't need surgery on the knee, but wouldn't speculate how long he would be out. But with only six games remaining this season and the Raiders out of contention, it's unlikely he'd be able to make it back.

"It's just like, 'Wow.' It's not something you try to understand," Jordan said. "Everybody has been calling me and telling me that everything happens for a reason. For me, this is the biggest injury I've ever had. ... The main thing for me is to just try to maintain a positive attitude and just try to get myself healthy."

Jordan's injury was the latest blow to the Raiders (2-8), who have scored a league-low 118 points and failed to generate any consistent threat on offense.

Brooks' return to the lineup after missing seven games with a strained pectoral muscle gave the offense a jolt Sunday against Kansas City.

He engineered three straight scoring drives in the first half -- just the second time this season Oakland has done that -- and drove the Raiders down to the 8 for the possible winning score before throwing an interception in the end zone in the final minute of a 17-13 loss to the Chiefs.

The Raiders hoped Brooks' return would help a running game that has struggled behind a shaky offensive line. But now they'll have to do that with backup Justin Fargas getting the bulk of the carries.

"We never really established the running game when he was healthy," Brooks said of Jordan. "By me being back, it contributes and helps, but again, it just wasn't a full game with him when I was back. All I can say is, we're going to miss him dearly because he's a big running back that can break a lot of tackles and get some extra yardage for us, so we're just going to have to somehow replace him. And that's pretty tough to do."

Fargas, effective at times as a change-of-pace back, will start Sunday against San Diego. Fargas has carried 89 times for 329 yards, averaging 3.7 per carry, but has never been a feature back in the NFL.

Shell said fullback Zack Crockett, who is third on the team with 124 yards rushing, and ReShard Lee will also share some of the load.

"It's my job to step in there and try to pick up the pace and keep it going," Fargas said. "That's what I'm going to try to do, try to pick this team up, because we lost somebody that is a leader for us."

Jordan got hurt on a 12-yard carry in the first quarter against the Chiefs. He rushed for 34 yards on five carries before the injury, bringing his season total to a team-leading 434 yards on 114 carries.

"I was starting to get into a zone," Jordan said. "I felt like I was going to have a big day (Sunday) until this happened. It's just a little frustrating. It's two years in a row now that I've been injured. The last thing I'm trying to do is be labeled as a guy who can't go 16 games."

Jordan has missed three games in two seasons with the Raiders, the final contests with a toe injury last season and the Arizona game last month with a sore back.

The Raiders will also be without starting left tackle Robert Gallery, who dislocated his left elbow in the third quarter against Kansas City. Chad Slaughter will likely fill in for Gallery again.

Oakland could get starting guard Barry Sims back this week after he missed the past three games with a sports hernia.

guimcharger
11-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Lamont never does do much on us so it isn't that much of a effect on us this week.

chargersfan_101
11-21-2006, 09:33 PM
i think Lamont Jordon will come and play at san diego

JCDavey
11-21-2006, 09:50 PM
i think Lamont Jordon will come and play at san diegohe's injured.

it's however good to see brooks missed san diego so much since his last trip there though , that he found a way to get back into the starting lineup.