PDA

View Full Version : J.A. Adande: "Moss Is More Talented Than Tomlinson"

LTfan4life
11-28-2006, 03:31 PM
The guy on Around The Horn on ESPN just said it in face time. What a joke.

He contradicted himself when he said that Tomlinson was a leader and carried us to victory, while Moss was last on the field for warm-ups, didn't hustle for balls, let DBs beat him, and at times you didn't eveen know if he was on the field.

mastaflan
11-28-2006, 03:32 PM
I can't wait to see LT hold the Lombardi trophy and shut all these guys up...

MiChargers
11-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Which one is JA Andande? I hate that segment regardless, but what clown. Probably just a ploy to draw some attention.

LTfan4life
11-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Which one is JA Andande? I hate that segment regardless, but what clown. Probably just a ploy to draw some attention.

He writes for the LA Times. Must be a closet Turd fan.

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/images/bio_134/1001571.jpg

darrenat0r
11-28-2006, 03:35 PM
You guys forget that talent has nothing to do with heart. Moss is definitely a little more physically gifted that Tomlinson is, but Tomlinson has HEART and DRIVE.

J.A. Adande is right in saying that. Come on. We all know Ryan Leaf had all the TALENT in the world, but he didn't have the SMARTS and everything else needed.

He didn't contradict himself at all. You guys are reading into it too much.

MiChargers
11-28-2006, 03:37 PM
You guys forget that talent has nothing to do with heart. Moss is definitely a little more physically gifted that Tomlinson is, but Tomlinson has HEART and DRIVE.

J.A. Adande is right in saying that. Come on. We all know Ryan Leaf had all the TALENT in the world, but he didn't have the SMARTS and everything else needed.

Sorry dude, gotta disagree on that one! PLEASE explain to me how Moss is more physically gifted.

Pimpish
11-28-2006, 03:38 PM
You seriously think Moss is more physically gifted than Tomlinson? You must be smoking almost as much as him.

LV_BOLT
11-28-2006, 03:38 PM

How is Mandy more physically gifted than LT????

While Mandy is indeed gifted physically; he is no more gifted than LT is for their respective positions.

ChargerGal76
11-28-2006, 03:40 PM

It's tough enough to compare two gifted athletes. Add in trying to compare two gifted athletes in different positions (although it does appear LT can play them all). He's just trying to start crap.

The-Beast
11-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry dude, gotta disagree on that one! PLEASE explain to me how Moss is more physically gifted.6'4" 200 4.28 40, 40+ vert.
compared to Tomlinsons 5'10" 205 at the time 4.38, 30+ vert.

Moss is the most physically gifted WR ever, Tomlinson in the top 10 for running backs.

MiChargers
11-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry, I cant believe you said that about Moss over LT. First, even when Moss was in his prime, he MAY have been as physically capable at his given position as LT. However, Moss is in the backside of his career, which he admits!! LT is in the core of his prime (at the very least). No fricking contest.

LV_BOLT
11-28-2006, 03:43 PM
6'4" 200 4.28 40, 40+ vert.

Moss is the most physically gifted WR ever, Tomlinson in the top 10 for running backs.

If that is supposed to be some sort of justification, read my post: http://forums.chargers.com/showpost.php?p=1291176&postcount=8

charger1_sj
Moss is taller but not physically more gifted. I'll take LT any day. Talent, character, leadership, work ethic.......I could go on and on. LT hands down.

Moss is a guy you have to think twice about having on your team. The guy on ESPN is a bigger moron than I originally thought. How do these guys get these jobs anyway, who do you have to know?

darrenat0r

While Mandy is indeed gifted physically; he is no more gifted than LT is for their respective positions.
Moss has all of the talent in the world to be the best receiver in the NFL. He just doesn't put all of it to use. Truth be told, if he actually put all of that talent to use he would be better than the best receiver of all time, Jerry Rice. And we all know Jerry Rice wasn't the fastest nor was he the biggest but he just kept producing.

But Randy continues to be Randy and that's why he falls short of greatness.

I guess LV_BOLT put it best. How about I rephrase this a little..

Moss, physical talent wise, could be argued to be the most talented receiver in the league with a wider gap away from the rest of the recievers in the NFL while LT's gap from him and other running backs isn't as big.

I'm not taking anything away from LT. He's still the most dominant and best player in the league regardless of position. I'm just talking talent here.

MiChargers
11-28-2006, 03:44 PM

You're comparing their physical stats?? Well then, LT has 24" arms, legs to match, and by the way.....LT has better hearing in both ears! That's lame.

The-Beast
11-28-2006, 03:48 PM
If that is supposed to be some sort of justificationI don't need to read your post, Randy is more physically gifted then Tomlinson. Randy is the most Physically gifted receiver of all time. Jim Brown, OJ, Reggie Bush are all more Physically Gifted then Tomlinson. Heart is Psychological It is an immesurable. Your comparing Athlete's when speaking of Gifts, Your not comparing players.

MiChargers
11-28-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't need to read your post, Randy is more physically gifted then Tomlinson. Randy is the most Physically gifted receiver of all time. Jim Brown, OJ, Reggie Bush are all more Physically Gifted then Tomlinson.

T.O. and Chad Johnson are twice as physically gifted as Moss.

The-Beast
11-28-2006, 03:51 PM
T.O. and Chad Johnson are twice as physically gifted as Moss.They are both slow as a turtle.

chargers4real
11-28-2006, 03:51 PM

Randy Moss!??? You've gotta be kidding! he's done nothing since leaving the Vikings! LOL I say he was a pretender. an average receiver at best.

o-line protag
11-28-2006, 03:52 PM
It's tough enough to compare two gifted athletes. Add in trying to compare two gifted athletes in different positions (although it does appear LT can play them all). He's just trying to start crap. My oh my...you've done it again ChargerGal76...the pickle is over the top this time!!!!lmbo

charger1_sj
11-28-2006, 03:53 PM

LT would run right through Moss. Moss looks like a stick. Being physcially bigger doesn't necessarly make you stronger. The numbers given are in their prime. I don't think Moss runs a 4.28. Besides Moss plays scared he no longer can take a hit on his precious body. It's not the size of the dog but the fight in him. LT is a fighter, Moss sounds like a woman on the rag.

darrenat0r
I don't need to read your post, Randy is more physically gifted then Tomlinson. Randy is the most Physically gifted receiver of all time. Jim Brown, OJ, Reggie Bush are all more Physically Gifted then Tomlinson.

That's what I'm saying. I'm a Charger fan for life since I was born, but Randy is just more physically talented. No one is saying he's a better player than LT. He's not. LT is tops regardless of position while Moss isn't even top five or ten in his own position. But Moss could easily make himself the best receiver in the NFL, maybe best player, if he just put that talent to use.

Moss has the talent, but no drive or heart to better himself as a player. He gives up on plays and plays when he feels like it.

LT is the complete opposite.

But Moss is still more physically talented for what he should be doing at his position than LT is his. And that's not taking anything away from LT because he's immensely physically talented.

The-Beast
You going to fondle his nuts while you're down there kissing his ass?Make a case as to why im wrong rather then belittle me for my point of view. Like a real poster would do.

R4PT0R
I don't need to read your post, Randy is more physically gifted then Tomlinson. Randy is the most Physically gifted receiver of all time. Jim Brown, OJ, Reggie Bush are all more Physically Gifted then Tomlinson. Heart is Psychological It is an immesurable. Your comparing Athlete's when speaking of Gifts, Your not comparing players.

What the vertical jump and the 40 time measure is one thing. You cannot measure Tomlinson's amazing moves, vision, or explosion.which all play a part in Tomlinson's overall physical gifts if you will.

Pimpish
11-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Make a case as to why im wrong rather then belittle me for my point of view. Like a real poster would do.

Ok, make a case as to why you're right and then I'll tell you why you're wrong...

Dougie Fresh
11-28-2006, 03:59 PM
I hate to break it to those of you who look for every little mention made about the Chargers to pick it apart and find insults, but this was a compliment to LT. I just saw the show and the point Adande was making is that LT is pure freaking class. Adande was talking about how he was at the game Sunday marveling at the efforts of LT to do everything he could to will his team to victory while the more talented Moss was loafing and acting like, well, Randy Moss.

Out of all of the compliments paid to Tomlinson by Adande's statement which is complimenting LT's desire and will, somebody picks out something that is out of LT's hands, talent. Please, people, get a grip. By the way, Moss does have more talent than LT. He's faster, can jump higher and has better hands. So what?

LV_BOLT
11-28-2006, 04:01 PM
By the way, Moss does have more talent than LT. He's faster, can jump higher and has better hands. So what?

One simple point; is LT a WR, and is Moss a RB?

Pimpish
11-28-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't think Moss has better hands than LT.

darrenat0r
11-28-2006, 04:04 PM
I hate to break it to those of you who look for every little mention made about the Chargers to pick it apart and find insults, but this was a compliment to LT. I just saw the show and the point Adande was making is that LT is pure freaking class. Adande was talking about how he was at the game Sunday marveling at the efforts of LT to do everything he could to will his team to victory while the more talented Moss was loafing and acting like, well, Randy Moss.

Out of all of the compliments paid to Tomlinson by Adande's statement which is complimenting LT's desire and will, somebody picks out something that is out of LT's hands, talent. Please, people, get a grip. By the way, Moss does have more talent than LT. He's faster, can jump higher and has better hands. So what?

My point exactly. I think some people just have a hard time believing that some people are better than LT at something. It's never anything detrimental to LT.

And LV_BOLT, like I said earlier, Moss as a WR talent-wise has a larger gap between himself and the next WR than LT does between him and the next back. We're not talking about how they produce, but the physical attributes and talents that are available for each of them to use.

Let's just agree to disagree. :Beer:

Al "T.D." Bundy
11-28-2006, 04:05 PM
And here I thought Woody Paige was the biggest dunce on that show.

It's all good though, everyone wants to keep underestimating us...all good.

Dougie Fresh
11-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Who really cares? Who is more talented...the point was that Randy Moss is a piece of garbage and in contrast LT is the antithesis. The dude's point was more or less pointing out the contrast.

R4PT0R
11-28-2006, 04:08 PM

I would hate to call u a bad name.. but LT is a halfback.. correct me if i'm wrong but you dont see very many teams with 6 foot 5 runningbacks. Because of Moss's height he can run faster. The hands.. well runningbacks don't necessarily HAVE to have amazing hands, yet LT does anyways.

Comparing a wide receivers necessary skill base to what a runningback should not necessarily have is like asking Moss why he can't line up as a halfback and run through 3 blockers for the touchdown...

LT has more skill than Moss considering his position. By the way you cannot measure vision, explosion, power, or desire which all play a part in LT's physical assets.

Case CLosed

spysnipedis
Who really cares? Who is more talented...the point was that Randy Moss is a piece of garbage and in contrast LT is the antithesis. The dude's point was more or less pointing out the contrast.

Well that was the whole point of the thread =/

Pimpish
My point exactly. I think some people just have a hard time believing that some people are better than LT at something. It's never anything detrimental to LT.

And LV_BOLT, like I said earlier, Moss as a WR talent-wise has a larger gap between himself and the next WR than LT does between him and the next back. We're not talking about how they produce, but the physical attributes and talents that are available for each of them to use.

Let's just agree to disagree. :Beer:

How do you figure there's a big gap between Moss and "the next most talented receiver?"
I think it's up for debate whether he's even the most gifted receiver in the league, so to say there's a big gap there just doesn't make sense.
I personally think Steve Smith makes Moss look like a waterboy with the way Moss plays. Then if all you're comparing is "physical gifts" I still think Steve Smith is more gifted than Moss. There are also plenty of other receivers that people could add to that argument.

Dougie Fresh
11-28-2006, 04:09 PM
I would hate to call u a bad name.. but LT is a halfback.. correct me if i'm wrong but you dont see very many teams with 6 foot 5 runningbacks. Because of Moss's height he can run faster. The hands.. well runningbacks don't necessarily HAVE to have amazing hands, yet LT does anyways.

Comparing a wide receivers necessary skill base to what a runningback should not necessarily have is like asking Moss why he can't line up as a halfback and run through 3 blockers for the touchdown...

LT has more skill than Moss considering his position. By the way you cannot measure vision, explosion, power, or desire which all play a part in LT's physical assets.

Case CLosed

I would hate to call you a bad name, but you cut and pasted my entire post and missed the entire point to it.

Lyi
11-28-2006, 04:09 PM
moss is the most physically gifted receiver ever as someone has said...in terms of more talent i agree too...only athletic talent. football talent, tomlinson is head and shoulders above him.

randy moss is a freak athlete. hes like 6'4, 210 lbs, runs like a 4.25, amazing vertical leap, amazing hands...has the best football speed in the league...db's and safetys play back and know hes goin deep but he still makes plays...he still gets behind them...thats what makes moss a freak of nature athlete. if this guy could only run routes, he'd be the most talented receiver of all time...in physical and football talent.

LV_BOLT
11-28-2006, 04:10 PM

Well, I pretty much got that part after you explained it, since I had not seen it for myself...it's just that I completely disagree with Moss being "more talented." LT is just as talented for the position of RB, which he plays.

R4PT0R
11-28-2006, 04:10 PM
I would hate to call you a bad name, but you cut and pasted my entire post and missed the entire point to it.

Actually, I did not. What you said in your post was Moss has better hands, can run faster, and can jump higher.

What i said is totally different, and for the record is correct. I am not going to continue arguing with you as I know I am correct and many people here can back me up.

You compared the necessary skill assets of a wideout to the position of a runningback....

Dougie Fresh
11-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Well that was the whole point of the thread =/

The point of the thread was whining about somebody dissing the Chargers. My counterpoint was that the guy was pointing out how LT is the man, so what's the whining about?

Pimpish
11-28-2006, 04:11 PM
moss is the most physically gifted receiver ever as someone has said...in terms of more talent i agree too...only athletic talent. football talent, tomlinson is head and shoulders above him.

Most gifted receiver EVER? Wow....

JCDavey
11-28-2006, 04:13 PM
moss is a tremendous athlete

but a moron

talent doesn't win you games alone, you've got to have intangibles and not be functionally retarded like moss

spysnipedis
11-28-2006, 04:14 PM

randy moss is a freak athlete. hes like 6'4, 210 lbs, runs like a 4.25, amazing vertical leap, amazing hands...has the best football speed in the league...db's and safetys play back and know hes goin deep but he still makes plays...he still gets behind them...thats what makes moss a freak of nature athlete. if this guy could only run routes, he'd be the most talented receiver of all time...in physical and football talent.

If he wasn't on the Raiders he'd be the best WR, but since that team is just cursed to lose. He'll stay the Best Gifted WR, but not the best WR.

RAWDOGG
11-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Moss sucks, he hasn't been good since he and Coldpooper stopped playing together

El Relámpago
11-28-2006, 04:23 PM
The guy on Around The Horn on ESPN just said it in face time. What a joke.

He contradicted himself when he said that Tomlinson was a leader and carried us to victory, while Moss was last on the field for warm-ups, didn't hustle for balls, let DBs beat him, and at times you didn't eveen know if he was on the field.

1. He's a tool!

2. He's high!

LT is a complete player RB/WR/QB. Moss is only a WR.

Lyi
11-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Most gifted receiver EVER? Wow....

athletically gifted...name someone who i more?

hes 6-4 (taller then most receivers, most are like on the 6'-6'2 side)

hes faster then receivers 4.25 speed...but better football speed (faster then easily 95% of the receivers to ever play the game)

his hands are amazing (i'm not saying now, but when you saw him when he was "happy" in minnesota, he would come up with the most unbelievable catches)

his vertical leap is of a basketball player, probably i think over 45 inches. (6'4 plus a 45 ish inch vertical)

name me one more physically gifted receiver...jerry rice wasn't as tall or big, steve largent wasn't as fast, lynn swann is not as tall or big, andre reed is not as tall or big either, terrell owens don't have his speed or hands, marvin harrison isn't anywhere close to his size...just name me one.

Lyi
11-28-2006, 04:26 PM
If he wasn't on the Raiders he'd be the best WR, but since that team is just cursed to lose. He'll stay the Best Gifted WR, but not the best WR.

no if hes in a vertical offense he can do good where its mostly deep route...but in a route running system based on time'n like how the raiders are, with alot of crossing routes and stuff...he struggles. the guy never learn'd to run routes...for an elite receiver hes the worst route runner.

spysnipedis
11-28-2006, 04:28 PM
no if hes in a vertical offense he can do good where its mostly deep route...but in a route running system based on time'n like how the raiders are, with alot of crossing routes and stuff...he struggles. the guy never learn'd to run routes...for an elite receiver hes the worst route runner.

ok, ok. Still the Raiders fault. =x and part Moss fault.

Av9114
11-28-2006, 04:30 PM

If you are going to base physical ability on 40 times and vert. then a track star should be the most physically gifted football player in the world. First of all RBs and WRs have different sets of physical tools. A WR really does need to leap and run fast, however a RB can be slow as a turtle and still be effective, like the Bus for example.

LT is easily top three all time for RBs and will have a chance to be in the discussion for best. He has great speed, can run for power, cut on a dime, catch throw and block. One of the very few "5 tool" type players to make a baseball analogy. He may not be the best at anyone of those things, but he has no weaknesses. You cant game plan around him as you would someone that was not as well rounded.

I'm not going to argue that Randy is special, there has never really been anyone else like him in the league. When he was a Vike, it really seemed like he could run by anyone, but he has never been a great route runner and really has gotten by on sheer athleticism. I think with Randy its sad to say that despite all his great years and numbers its always going to be a little bit of a what could have been type thing.

Now if we are just going to talk about athleticism, which really has very little to do with football, then maybe you could argue Moss is superior. But if we are just talking about physical football skills, LT wins no contest. When talking about football, the only debate is whether LT is the best ever, and that will probably just come down to how long he can keep it up.

Pimpish
11-28-2006, 04:31 PM
athletically gifted...name someone who i more?

I already did...Steve Smith, and that's just in this era.

Bulletproof
11-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Obviously, stats don't tell the entire story. Who gives a crap if Moss can run a 40 yard dash one tenth of a second faster than LT? That's pretty much rendered irrelevant by LT being a team player that goes 100% all out for the entire game. Moss, and whatever physical gift statistics he brings to the table pale in comparison. His "punching a timeclock/cashing a paycheck" attitude, along with his immature antics on the field leave little to be desired on the field, or in the clubhouse.

Bottom line is.....who would you rather have with the ball in a clutch situation? :21: That's what I thought. End of discussion.

Lyi
11-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I already did...Steve Smith, and that's just in this era.

are you crazy? steve smith is like 190 lbs and like 5'8. hes got no where near the blend of size and speed moss has...try again man.

steve smith is incredible...but i'm tell'n you, no receiver in nfl history was bless'd with the physical talent of randy moss.

Pimpish
11-28-2006, 04:38 PM
are you crazy? steve smith is like 190 lbs and like 5'8. hes got no where near the blend of size and speed moss has...try again man.

steve smith is incredible...but i'm tell'n you, no receiver in nfl history was bless'd with the physical talent of randy moss.

Oh so you're basing your entire argument on the fact that he's tall and fast? In that case, Cromartie is the most gifted receiver ever. He's tall, and he's fast.

spysnipedis
11-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Oh so you're basing your entire argument on the fact that he's tall and fast? In that case, Cromartie is the most gifted receiver ever. He's tall, and he's fast.

But he's not a receiver =x

MiChargers
11-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Moss may have been equal to LT in his prime, however, the original thread was comparing them as of now. Moss is past his prime. He's lost not just a step, but a few. I'm willing to bet he cant jump too high either. Just last week, he admitted that he's not the player he was. LT is in his golden years and more talented physically, yes physically. I wouldnt be surprised if Moss was growing love handles, catching so few balls.

Pimpish
11-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Right, was just making my point that if you're just basing it on height and speed that it's ludicrous argument.
Physical skills also include cutting ability, vision, hands, and a ton of other crap.

Lyi
11-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Right, was just making my point that if you're just basing it on height and speed that it's ludicrous argument.
Physical skills also include cutting ability, vision, hands, and a ton of other crap.

moss has amazing hands, he has very fluid hips, his vertical for a receiver was unmatch'd...he had the size and speed advantage over corners...name another though like that in the nfl ever.

name me a guy whose 6'4 210, fluid hips, 4.25 speed, amazing hands, great leaping ability. only guy who was ever close to this is terrell owens except hes not as fast, and no where near the amazing hands.

i'm not a moss fan, i'm just saying, its a damn shame that talent like him go to waste. if this guy knew how to run routes he'd be the greatest ever. could u imagine him with marvin harrison or torry holts route running ability...at his size, with his speed, leaping ability and his hands!

Pimpish
11-28-2006, 04:44 PM
moss has amazing hands, he has very fluid hips, his vertical for a receiver was unmatch'd...he had the size and speed advantage over corners...name another though like that in the nfl ever.

name me a guy whose 6'4 210, fluid hips, 4.25 speed, amazing hands, great leaping ability. only guy who was ever close to this is terrell owens except hes not as fast, and no where near the amazing hands.

i'm not a moss fan, i'm just saying, its a damn shame that talent like him go to waste. if this guy knew how to run routes he'd be the greatest ever. could u imagine him with marvin harrison or torry holts route running ability...at his size, with his speed, leaping ability and his hands!

Cool, you just named 2 more receivers more talented than Moss.

Lyi
11-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Cool, you just named 2 more receivers more talented than Moss.

neither of them in terms of physical talent is more gifted...in football talent handsdown.

marvin harrison, and torry holt are the fundamental receivers in football...everythin they do is right. they run amazing routes, great hands, fundamentally sound everywhere. its kinda like a tim duncan...does everythin great...but isn't the fancy type of player that draws attention to themselves.

Pimpish
11-28-2006, 04:49 PM
I can agree Moss once was a special player. He's not anymore though, and any of the receivers that have been named are currently more gifted than he is NOW.

Al "T.D." Bundy
11-28-2006, 04:51 PM
The point of the thread was whining about somebody dissing the Chargers. My counterpoint was that the guy was pointing out how LT is the man

Well that didn't get mentioned until after the fact, so that is what all the fuss was about, initially.

SDFaiderHater
11-28-2006, 04:53 PM

moss may be phyiscally gifted, but he wont even get his foot in the door to the HOF...because he has so little heart, he openly said hes not trying his hardest...thats some kind of team player.

Lyi
11-28-2006, 04:55 PM
I can agree Moss once was a special player. He's not anymore though, and any of the receivers that have been named are currently more gifted than he is NOW.

i think if hes "happy" he is still that same player. he just don't wanna play it looks like, it looks like he dont' care.

hes still has that speed, he can still get behind defenses with ease. and he can catch the ball when hes "happy"...now this fool is the biggest waste of talent in the nfl...when hes "happy" no receiver is more gift'd then him. damn shame though. i'm a fan of the sport of football..and i think its real f*ck'd up that a hall of fame talent is going to waste, because his ego.

Pimpish
11-28-2006, 05:05 PM
I think some fans from other teams, and some from this team even need to look at this post to figure out how to have an argument.
Loved the fact that no one resorted to name calling or personal attacks.

Toad
11-28-2006, 05:06 PM

Physical ability is one thing; talent is another. Talent is more of an application of ability through desire. Moss falls waaayy short!

Here's someone more physically "gifted", could easily get behind defenses (if he wanted to), and can probably catch better than Moss.

http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_6_8_98.html

As it is, it's a lame comparison. LT is a running back and Ivars Peterson is a track star. However, if it's only physical ability, I might have to go with McNeil. He's bigger, can jump higher, is stronger and can certainly catch as well as Moss (who can't)?

The guy's a tool; he won't make the HOF; he's not even the best in his generation to play the postition. LT will make the HOF, he's tops in his generation and probably the best of any generation to play the position before he's done.

Compare stats: Moss vs. any WR or LT vs. any RB. Otherwise, it's apples to cats.

Again, lame comparison.

JCDavey
11-28-2006, 05:08 PM

i'm not a moss fan, i'm just saying, its a damn shame that talent like him go to waste. if this guy knew how to run routes he'd be the greatest ever. could u imagine him with marvin harrison or torry holts route running ability...at his size, with his speed, leaping ability and his hands!yeah i agree, too bad he lacks the desire and is a clown

Charger Rific
11-28-2006, 05:18 PM
L.T. is the most talented player in the NFL, he may not be tall, or strong, but he is the best, and he makes every one around him even better. As for Moss, he is an elite reciever and it shows in his abilities and when he was with the Vikings, but with no desire and with a bad team, he wont get better, his time has passed. T.O. is the best reciever in the league, he has good blocking skills wich puts him infront of steve smith, they are both fast, smart, and willing to win.

eaterfan
11-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Randy Moss is probably the most gifted athlete i have seen on the football field. Talent and achievement are totally different things. I see talent as the ability to do things- achievement is actually doing them. Randy Moss can catch balls no other reciever can catch and no DB can defend. That is what makes a guy who may be equally talented (Cromartie) such an asset to our defense. I'll give you the example of Eric Parker vs. Vincent Jackson. No one here will argue that EP is the more talented reciever but is he the better reciever? At this point I say yes. LT is by far the better football player of the two, but i don't think he has as much talent as moss.

It makes me respect what LT does even more. He heart and determination are unrivaled by anyone except brett favre.

TJ21
11-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Adande's a pretty smart guy. It's not out of the world to say that Moss is the more physically able athlete. But football is a game of wills, and LT's will trumps all that have come before him... except Barry Sanders maybe... the Lions sucked so bad.

weksos
11-28-2006, 05:41 PM
randy moss is also more emotional than LT..hahahaha.too bad randy moss..you went to the wrong team...

jakeciera
11-28-2006, 05:46 PM
I think everyone is blowing this out of proportion. If we are saying that 'talent' is another term for athleticism, then we need to define what athleticism. Is athleticism defined by one's performance in the combines.

If they measure 10 attributes, for the gamers, look at the Madden video games and see how they rate the players...you know speed, hands, break tackles kicking etc does this mean that the person who scores highest in all these so called test is the best athlete...or the most talented? Not sure, but it is possible.

If you want to go by these metrics and compare who is faster, or who has better hands, or better leaping ability, obviously, these will be more important or relevent for certain skill positions..

Randy Moss, could possibly be more gifted, talented or whatever phrase you want to use. But that really doesn't mean jack squat. Its all about production.

Would you rather have Joe Montana or Ryan Leaf? We knew who had the better arm, but who was more productive and who established a legacy.

LT is getting lots of pub because of his production and the legacy he is establishing. Sure, he has a myriad of ways of being productive, and an offense that gives him the opportunity to do it, but ultimately, he is special
because he gets 'it'. He knows what he needs to do and does it.

If he was the fastest running back, or the shiftiest, I guarantee, he would make some highlight reels, but he would not get the recognition he is finally deserving now.

From a pure talent, point, he may not be best running back. If he was, he would have certainly been drafted #1, above Michael Vick.
I think Michael Vick, may be more talented than L.T. But, tell, me, would you do that trade again?? Of course you would.

NorCalBoltBrain
11-28-2006, 05:56 PM
OK, so we're talking pure physical ability. Taking intangibles such as heart and intelligence out of the equation, here's how I see it, based on watching the 2 players over the past 5 years:

Advantage LT:

1) Sudden stops
2) instant acceleration or burst
3) cuts
4) power
5) stiffarm (upper body strength)

Advantage Moss:
1) pure speed
2) vertical

Equal:
1) Hands

Moss may be tall, but he isn't as strong as TO, Burress, or those types of receivers. He is incredibly fast, can jump, and has good hands. That's all I really see in terms of outstanding talent. I think LT has great hands, and I've seen Moss drop a few, even back in the viking days.

TJChargersFan
11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
You guys crack me up with the perceived disses you seem to find whenever people talk about the chargers, it reminds me of that old saturday night live skit with the bears fans, they could do no wrong, could beat up everybode they faced and no one dare say otherwise or they'd rip into the person.

Big'D'inSD!#56
11-28-2006, 06:07 PM

He didn't contradict himself at all. You guys are reading into it too much.NOway Moss is little more physically gifted then Tomlinson. YOu crazy:nono:

SD.since.82
11-28-2006, 06:08 PM
i liked him more then the other guest on around the horn but now, not so much. woody is my homeboy now!

Big'D'inSD!#56
11-28-2006, 06:08 PM
OK, so we're talking pure physical ability. Taking intangibles such as heart and intelligence out of the equation, here's how I see it, based on watching the 2 players over the past 5 years:

Advantage LT:

1) Sudden stops
3) cuts
4) power

Advantage Moss:
1) pure speed
2) vertical

Equal:
1) Hands

Moss may be tall, but he isn't as strong as TO, Burress, or those types of receivers. He is incredibly fast, can jump, and has good hands. That's all I really see in terms of outstanding talent. I think LT has great hands, and I've seen Moss drop a few, even back in the viking days.You said all buddy.

thumper300zx
11-28-2006, 06:10 PM

I'd like to see Moss at RB. While Tomlinson is racking up plenty of nice receiving yards, Moss would be splattered behind the line all day long. This isn't saying Moss isn't a talented player, because he is. He could've been one of the greatest if he learned to shut his mouth and play the game.

Didn't you know that Tomlinson could fly, too? I've seen it many times -- he can fly.

-Dave

fireknuckles
11-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Funny, he just wrote this on Monday...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-adande27nov27,1,3339172.column?coll=la-headlines-sports-nfl&ctrack=1&cset=true

SAN DIEGO — We're at the point where any San Diego Chargers victory can be summarized in two words.

This goes back to Nov. 19, when between updates I saw a 24-7 San Diego deficit against Denver turn into a 35-27 Chargers victory and I text-messaged a friend to ask what happened.

My buddy's reply: "LT happened."

Flash-forward to Sunday, when the Chargers had to deal with a strong Oakland Raiders defensive effort, a shaky performance by quarterback Philip Rivers and a 14-7 Raiders lead in the fourth quarter.

How did the Chargers win 21-14?

LT happened.

In the fourth quarter, LaDainian Tomlinson threw a touchdown pass, broke off a 44-yard run and finished a drive with a 10-yard touchdown.

"Everybody understands where we start and where we finish on offense," Chargers Coach Marty Schottenheimer said. "It's with him."

The NFL's No. 1 scoring threat, the fantasy football force, did his thing. LT happened. Let's keep it at that.

Trust me, it's a lot easier than trying to explain the action and the extended officials' ruling on a pivotal fourth-quarter play that led to the game-tying score.

On fourth and two from the Oakland 40-yard line, Rivers threw a pass that was caught by a diving Vincent Jackson for a 13-yard gain. A hyped Jackson hopped up and flipped the ball to the ground. Trouble was, he hadn't been touched by a defender while he was down, meaning the play was alive.

The officials initially considered it a fumble recovered by the Raiders. Then they huddled and determined that Jackson had thrown the ball forward, making it an illegal forward pass and a five-yard penalty — which still gave San Diego enough yardage for a first down. Big break for the Chargers, but it took Tomlinson to cash it in.

The Chargers got the ball to Oakland's 19, where Rivers tossed the ball to Tomlinson, who drew all the Raiders defenders' attention. Antonio Gates ran all by himself into the end zone, where Tomlinson found him for the sixth touchdown pass of his career.

Game tied. Long story short, LT happened.

The next time San Diego got the ball, LT happened again.

The Raiders had kept him in check most of the game. Tomlinson's second-quarter touchdown was mostly a byproduct of Antonio Cromartie's 91-yard kickoff return. LT's longest run in the first three quarters was eight yards. For most of the afternoon Tomlinson dutifully ran between the tackles for short gains.

With slightly less than seven minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, Tomlinson took a handoff, started inside, then dashed out to open field on his right, moving from the San Diego 33 to the Oakland 23.

"Sometimes throughout the course of a game, you are setting up the defense," Tomlinson said. "Keeping it play side, keeping it play side, making them think you're going to do that all day. And then one play they overrun it and you are out the back door and cut it all the way back."

He made it sound so simple. Then again, he makes it look so simple, to the point we expect it.

"You don't know when, but you know it's coming," Chargers receiver Keenan McCardell said. "You just say, 'OK, OK. He's going to pop one.' Then all of a sudden he does.

fireknuckles
11-28-2006, 06:25 PM
page 2 .

"He's like a great shooting guard. When he gets hot, you just keep feeding him."

If that's the simile, then the closest thing Southern California has seen to Tomlinson's run of 21 touchdowns in seven games is the stretch of nine consecutive 40-point games Kobe Bryant had in 2003.

"What he's doing, in 10 years from now when you mention his name, you're going to have to say, 'One of the … ' or 'The …' " Chargers fullback Lorenzo Neal said.

The numbers alone force Tomlinson into the discussion. He eclipsed 100 touchdowns in 89 games, four games faster than Jim Brown and Emmitt Smith. He's at 104 now, in the top 15 all-time; his 93 rushing touchdowns are eighth best. If he throws two more touchdown passes, he will tie Walter Payton's record (eight) for the most thrown by a non-quarterback.

Brown, Smith, Payton … some of the ultra-elite names. Brown still has to top the list. Payton was more athletic, but I'd take Tomlinson over Smith. Barry Sanders doesn't get love from the hard-core NFL heads, but ask any defensive player who ever tried to tackle him how difficult that was.

Tomlinson should be mentioned with Peyton Manning as the top candidates for the NFL most valuable player this season. And the way things are going Atlanta's 2001 draft-time decision to trade Tomlinson for Michael Vick is starting to look Bowie-over-Jordan foolish.

And here's a piece of advice for those fantasy league owners lucky enough to have him: If you meet him, show a little appreciation.

"They don't ever really say thank you," Tomlinson said of his encounters with fantasy players. "Most of the time, it's all about the next game, what have you done for me lately? It's always, 'LT, I need two touchdowns.' 'I need 100 yards.' "

As a fan of the game, I'll say thanks, for the performance on the field and the community involvement off it — "He's a better man than he is a player," Neal said.

As a sportswriter, I'll say thanks for making the job a lot easier.

LT happened. End of story.

*J.A. Adande can be reached at j.a.adande@latimes.com.

ChampCharger
11-28-2006, 06:28 PM
J.A. Adumbde

sonorajim
11-28-2006, 07:10 PM

I wouldn't conceed the physical talent comparison. Moss is taller, can run a little faster and can jump higher.
LT is stronger, has better hands, better balance, coordination, reactions and vision, throws a better pass, is more agile, more explosive, smarter and does better interviews.
LT is easily the more talented athelete unless you restrict the comparison to 100m sprints and slamdunks.

Spank
11-28-2006, 07:18 PM
J. A. = Jack. Ass.

boltfanutah
11-28-2006, 07:25 PM
I watch those guys all the time and I am still looking for some love~ Woody is the worse! He still probably thinks the Donkey's are better than us! Adande? I can't believe he could even make a comparison??? LT is a better player, has more talent and has a passion for the game! Moss is a LIL BABY!! Who cries when things don't go his way! Gimmie a break Adande!! Pathetic comparison!!

R4PT0R
11-28-2006, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't conceed the physical talent comparison. Moss is taller, can run a little faster and can jump higher.
LT is stronger, has better hands, better balance, coordination, reactions and vision, throws a better pass, is more agile, more explosive, smarter and does better interviews.
LT is easily the more talented athelete unless you restrict the comparison to 100m sprints and slamdunks.

A ***** MEN!

boltfanutah
11-28-2006, 07:35 PM
"He who knows & knows he knows is a leader follow him"

Nice post R4PTOR

R4PT0R
11-28-2006, 07:38 PM
"He who knows & knows he knows is a leader follow him"

Nice post R4PTOR

Thanks, kind sir.

TouchTed
11-28-2006, 07:56 PM
As Moss is being called the biggest cancer of the year... and LT is being called the MVP for the year, this is no contest!

BillsFan4Lyfe
11-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Not anymore. Moss was good in Minnesota but not Oakland. LT is one of the if not the greatest back I have ever seen.

ChargerLT21
11-28-2006, 07:58 PM
who would even think to compare moss to LT? i mean this is just some big, dumb joke in my opinion

eaterfan
11-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Not anymore. Moss was good in Minnesota but not Oakland. LT is one of the if not the greatest back I have ever seen.

Good has nothing to do with talent. Randy Moss has the same talent he had in Minn, he just has lost determination and a QB to throw to him.

and whoever says LT has better hands is mistaken. Randy has probably the best hands of any reciever out there. LT has good hands especially for a RB, but he's not randy moss in that aspect.

BillsFan4Lyfe
11-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Good has nothing to do with talent. Randy Moss has the same talent he had in Minn, he just has lost determination and a QB to throw to him.

and whoever says LT has better hands is mistaken. Randy has probably the best hands of any reciever out there. LT has good hands especially for a RB, but he's not randy moss in that aspect.
That's what I meant. Still got the talent but no QB. Oakland is using him terribly. Moss needs more balls thrown his way or he needs a new team.

OCBoltsFan
11-28-2006, 08:16 PM
That's what I meant. Still got the talent but no QB. Oakland is using him terribly. Moss needs more balls thrown his way or he needs a new team.

They throw the ball his way, he lets it go by, and he's said that he's not motivated because the team sucks. Maybe next year when they have Quinn he'll be more motivated but I doubt it, he's just a cancer to have on your team.

SkubaSteve
11-28-2006, 08:17 PM
You can't compare the two IMO, they play different positions, they do different things.

SP17BOLT
11-28-2006, 08:20 PM
woody is my homeboy now! :eek: woody paige is an complete idiot.

Lyi
11-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Physical ability is one thing; talent is another. Talent is more of an application of ability through desire. Moss falls waaayy short!

Here's someone more physically "gifted", could easily get behind defenses (if he wanted to), and can probably catch better than Moss.

http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_6_8_98.html

As it is, it's a lame comparison. LT is a running back and Ivars Peterson is a track star. However, if it's only physical ability, I might have to go with McNeil. He's bigger, can jump higher, is stronger and can certainly catch as well as Moss (who can't)?

The guy's a tool; he won't make the HOF; he's not even the best in his generation to play the postition. LT will make the HOF, he's tops in his generation and probably the best of any generation to play the position before he's done.

Compare stats: Moss vs. any WR or LT vs. any RB. Otherwise, it's apples to cats.

Again, lame comparison.

your assesment of talent is wrong. talent is the physical abilities which someone is capable of. and everyone knows that randy moss is the most physically gifted player the nfl has ever seen probably. talent isn't about desire, some people are just born more talented then others at things.

but the guy lacks football skill in a huge way.

Lyi
11-29-2006, 11:26 AM

Advantage LT:

1) Sudden stops
3) cuts
4) power

Advantage Moss:
1) pure speed
2) vertical

Equal:
1) Hands

Moss may be tall, but he isn't as strong as TO, Burress, or those types of receivers. He is incredibly fast, can jump, and has good hands. That's all I really see in terms of outstanding talent. I think LT has great hands, and I've seen Moss drop a few, even back in the viking days.

moss has acceleration, and pure speed, he can make cuts too he has such fluid hips for a big man.

and when moss was in minnesota he was the most prolific receiver the nfl has seen since jerry rice...and the most explosive ever. do you not remember...u just throw it deep to the guy and he can go get it better then any receiver.

i'm not a moss homer by any means, i really don't like this guy because hes a a** hole with no real justified reason, he plays with no passion or desire. hes by far in terms of athleticism the best talent ever gon' to waste in the nfl...well wait 2nd best first is by far bo jackson.

when you look at pure athletic talentwhich we are talkin about...the best go like this...

rb- bo jackson, 6'1 225 lbs, look'd more like 6'1 240...unbelievable speed people say 4.16 40 yard dash speed, and he qualified for the olympics. power people say comparable to jim brown. in his short nfl career before choosing baseball he averaged 5.4 ypc, 3134 total yards, and 18 total tds in 4 years as a backup to marcus allen.

qb- mike vick without question...everyone knows that. cannon arm, super speed, crazy agility.

wr- randy moss, probably the fasest receiver or one of them of all time. great hands, fluid hips, great leaping ability and a big frame.

te- vernon davis...freak of nature period.

lb- shawne merriman...blend of size, speed and strength hasn't been seen in the nfl

de- julius peppers...him be'n as fast as he is at his size, with his power, leaping ability, hip fluidity is crazy you just don't see it.

s- i say troy polamalu, his speed, athleticism, and strength is incredible for a safety.

corner- deion sanders everyone knows that, super athlete.

best football talent though go like this...in my eyes.
rb- walter payton and ladainian tomlinson...they could do everything you ask of them. run, block, catch, throw whatever.

wr- jerry rice his heart makes him unmatched...not the most physically gifted by any means, but his desire to be the best made him what he was.

te- kellen winslow sr., the reinvented the position of the tightend.

qb- dan marino, could make any throw anywhere on the football field...the most prolific passer the nfl has ever had...too bad he didnt' win a superbowl.

de- reggie white, none better, not the most fastest guy, but he was very strong, and his drive was unmatched at the position.

lb- i say lawrence taylor even though i think that derrick thomas was incredible too.

s- i say ed reed, he made that safety position an impact position, where he can dictate the flow of the game from that position...i have never seen that before.

and corner- i say thats still deion sanders...athleticism playmaking ability.

BORNINSD1964
11-30-2006, 12:30 AM

I'd love to see them trade positions for a game; then come tell us who is more physically gifted. LT is more gifted mentally and physically.
GOOD NIGHT NOW!;)

joelbolt
11-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Sorry, it’s a “rotten apple” and orange comparison.

atlamit
11-30-2006, 12:43 AM
I saw that show and Adande was his usual annoying self. However, I felt like the point he was trying to make this time was just how abd Moss was in terms of his lack of desire and lack of good work ethic, etc - that he's the complete opposite of LT. It's just that our brilliant reporter tried to make his point by somehow using the words 'more talented than..' Not the first time he screwed up and won't be the last.

Eluded_LT
11-30-2006, 01:51 AM
Some of you just don't get it. We're just talkin about Physically Gifted at their Position. And Moss is the most Gifted Reciever there is. It's been mention but he has height, blazing speed, locate and adjust to outjump for the ball, excellent hands. Have you guys never watch him when he played for the Viking? Man seeing some of his catches is amazing. It just seem like you put the ball up there and he'll go get it. He was the only reciever I've seen that can be able to catch up to Jerry Rice all time TD records. He was a TD Machine. Since coming to Oakland, his # are declining big time. Come on, if you're in the Raiders organization, you're going to lose your motivation too. And you have QB like Andrew Walter throwing you the ball.

usnidc
11-30-2006, 02:18 AM
Some of you just don't get it. We're just talkin about Physically Gifted at their Position. And Moss is the most Gifted Reciever there is. It's been mention but he has height, blazing speed, locate and adjust to outjump for the ball, excellent hands. Have you guys never watch him when he played for the Viking? Man seeing some of his catches is amazing. It just seem like you put the ball up there and he'll go get it. He was the only reciever I've seen that can be able to catch up to Jerry Rice all time TD records. He was a TD Machine. Since coming to Oakland, his # are declining big time. Come on, if you're in the Raiders organization, you're going to lose your motivation too. And you have QB like Andrew Walter throwing you the ball.

But in the real world, you can't seperate physical talent and football talent. Moss may have all the speed in the world, but you don't play football in a vacuum. I would take Jerry Rice over Randy Moss any day. Right now, I'd take Eric Parker over Randy Moss.

The physical talent argument is for losers trying to feel good about something. In the real world, it comes down to who do you want on your team, LT or Randy Moss? It is like trying to win an argument on who should be the MVP by using fantasy football numbers...

quik22
11-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Randy Moss and Ladanian Tomlinson play two different positions. Randy is physically gifted as a receiver, Ladanian is physically gifted as a runningback.

why are people so blind? both of them are incredible atheletes.. absolutely amazing in their own rights.

in a poll of 361 players in the NFL asking who was the fastest, Randy Moss was ranked #5 behind Vick, D. Hall, Santana Moss, and Steve Smith. Ladanian was #10 with 2% of the players votes.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/11/14/poll.1114/

there was a poll a while back where the defensive players voted Randy Moss as the hardest to cover. i'm sure if you google hard enough you'll find it.

people here are erroneously associating physical gifts with "football" gifts. jerry rice and e. smith both were not the most physically gifted atheletes.. not at all. emmit had the most runs between 20-40 yards because he was always caught from behind.

randy moss is incredibly gifted. he's tall, has the most explosive deep threat speed (in my opinion), has great leaping ability, hands, but is selfish. i can't blame him for being upset in oakland though.. i thought the raiders would be contenders in the AFC west once they picked him up..

ladanian is quick, has great acceleration and vision, hands, and blocking ability. he's a good size for a rb but relatively short for a receiver.

what if randy moss decided to join the chargers instead of the raiders? then the offense would be unstoppable.. with him spreading the field for our other guys underneath, i'm sure he would be a LOT happier with philip throwing to him than aaron brooks. but at the same time he's a cancer.. we need someone with randy's physical abilities and ladanian's character..

abnewcombe
11-30-2006, 08:01 AM

I'd say he is the top one RB in the league. I'm sure the majority would agree.

Texas lightning
11-30-2006, 08:54 AM
when LT's bust gets put in canton it will not only read about his talents as one of the greatest RBs ever but possibly the most versitile football player of all time let's face it he does it all.

Lyi
11-30-2006, 03:30 PM
I'd say he is the top one RB in the league. I'm sure the majority would agree.

people have to understand, we aren't talkin of football skill herre, we are talking about pure athletic talent.

pure athletic talent is a landslide to moss. tomlinson is much better football skills...but athletic talent...i don't think anyone can really measure up to randy moss.

i think the other closest is julius peppers.

Boltbomber
11-30-2006, 04:09 PM

Duh cause Mandy Moss has a vagina and can give birth to babies while LT can not accomplish such a task!! LOL

WinslowSr.
11-30-2006, 10:16 PM
the most physically gifted dudes in teh nfl i would say are andre johnson and roy williams

tomlinson is on the small side for an RB but he's the best player bar none

Lyi
11-30-2006, 10:26 PM
the most physically gifted dudes in teh nfl i would say are andre johnson and roy williams

tomlinson is on the small side for an RB but he's the best player bar none

why andre and roy?

andre 6'3 220, 4.3 speed, not as good hands or as fast as moss...but can jump high, not higher then moss. andre is an incredible talent though i admit that.

roy is 6'2 212, hes not as fast, can't jump as high as moss. but this guy got incredible hands. i saw this rediculous catch by him like behind his back in a practice online.

Aftermath
11-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Hey "the bitc*" 1st off you sound like a closet fan, just for the record. 2nd I think you're one of the biggest dip-sticks I've ever heard....You know what I'm done, have a nice life being a moron!!!

RAYRAY37
12-01-2006, 12:20 AM
J.A. proves that you don't need to be smart to write for the L.A. times.

Lyi
12-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey "the bitc*" 1st off you sound like a closet fan, just for the record. 2nd I think you're one of the biggest dip-sticks I've ever heard....You know what I'm done, have a nice life being a moron!!!

are you referring to me?

i'm not a closet randy moss fan, i trash him just as much as i respect his athletic ability. i say the guy has no heart, and that he lacks football skill in a major way, and that hes the 2nd largest wasted talent in nfl history 2nd to only bo jackson. i say this because he still has alot left in the tank, he just has no heart.

WinslowSr.
12-01-2006, 01:57 PM
why andre and roy?

andre 6'3 220, 4.3 speed, not as good hands or as fast as moss...but can jump high, not higher then moss. andre is an incredible talent though i admit that.

roy is 6'2 212, hes not as fast, can't jump as high as moss. but this guy got incredible hands. i saw this rediculous catch by him like behind his back in a practice online.

because their physical specimens at receiver

moss is a skinny guy can't go up the middle

i

kutsie2
12-01-2006, 02:41 PM
people have to understand, we aren't talkin of football skill herre, we are talking about pure athletic talent.

pure athletic talent is a landslide to moss. tomlinson is much better football skills...but athletic talent...i don't think anyone can really measure up to randy moss.

i think the other closest is julius peppers.

But athletic talent does you no good when you aren't using it AT ALL!! Moss has been a head case since college and always will be. During our first game against them he looked stoned on the sidelines....when you waste athletic ability, gifts, talent like what he supposedly has (although no one has seen him use any of them in a really long time) you are USELESS both to yourself and your team!!