PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done if you were Shanahan?

BoltFanSoCal
12-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Plummer was playing poorly. The offense was sputtering and you just lost a close game to the Chargers and 4 days later one to the Chiefs.

You now have 10 days before the next game to prepare if you are making a switch at QB.

Cutler really tanked last night. But what do you expect in his first start. His TD pass was one because Seahawks missed for tackles.

Did Shanahan put up the white flag when he switched QB's?

I think it is a very tough call. Some may say Culter can not do any worse than Plummer. Some may think at least you have a veteran QB which had some decent games and still gives you best chance to at least make the playoffs.

Any thoughts?

daboltz
12-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Plummer was playing poorly. The offense was sputtering and you just lost a close game to the Chargers and 4 days later one to the Chiefs.

You now have 10 days before the next game to prepare if you are making a switch at QB.

Cutler really tanked last night. But what do you expect in his first start. His TD pass was one because Seahawks missed for tackles.

I think it is a very tough call. Some may say Culter can not do any worse than Plummer. Some may think at least you have a veteran QB which had some decent games and still gives you best chance to at least make the playoffs.

Any thoughts?

I don't think Cutler tanked last night.....it was his 1st game.

I think they are ready to write this season off though

LV_BOLT
12-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Any thoughts?

You might try posting in the correct section of the forum, next time.

bolt85
12-04-2006, 09:54 AM

Any thoughts?

It really was a tough call. On one hand you are coming down the stretch and they really need to buckle down to get that wild card. Plummer was doing below average but there are QB's who have done alot worse and stayed in. On the other hand you have the rookie, inexperienced as he may be, he could be the breath of fresh air the team needs.

If it would have been my decision I probably would have kept Plummer in for the remainder of the season. I just don't think it makes for a good transition for the rookie to be put in and be expected to keep the playoff hopes alive. That's alot of pressure and all it takes is that pressure to cause a couple bad games, then the confidence is gone.

As a charger fan I would have done exactly what Shannahan did last night. Throw Cutler to the wolves :D. This guy has to face Merriman in his second Pro game. That would be scary.

JCDavey
12-04-2006, 10:02 AM

Any thoughts?i would have done the exact same thing, because plummer had regressed very badly this year and the writing was on the wall.

there's really no risk IMO, cutler is either going to only gain experience for 07, or gain experience and help you in the playoffs.

plummer is who we thought he was.....a choker.

run21lt
12-04-2006, 10:03 AM
I would've left Jake in there. But I'm glad he didn't!

Every dog has its day, and I feel like barking!

Go Bolts!

mysteriousbolt
12-04-2006, 10:09 AM

Any thoughts?

The only question mark I have is why the Broncos elected to pass as much as they did. I would have thought that with their running game, the Broncos would have limited Cutler's attempts to 10-12 max, much like the Chargers did with Rivers' first start.

Other than that, I don't made a mistake in the QB change, nor do I think they are throwing in the towel. The Broncos are still in the wildcard picture, and are still very much a threat. With four games left in the season, anything can happen.

Boltbomber
12-04-2006, 10:18 AM
What would you have done if you were Shanahan?

Put a gun to my head and pull the trigger??

bolthead123
12-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Shanahan is extremely smart and knows how to win but I question this decision. Jake is not having a good season but I still think he gives them their best chance to win. I kind of get the feeling that Shanahan his written off this season and decided to go with the future. I don't think Cutler is going to get this team to the playoffs.

usnidc
12-04-2006, 10:53 AM
I might have made the change but as was mentioned, I would have ran the ball more and only had 10-12 passing plays. Still probably would have lost the game, but would have limited the mistakes for the young QB.

chargers4real
12-04-2006, 10:59 AM
I like what the big guy on nfln said (don't know his name...on point after i think) "Shannahan is a great coach who has won championships and he knows what a championship team looks like. He knows this year he does not have one. He is playing for next year." I have to agree. I know he wants to win and will still play to win but for the most part you have to get cutler in the mix and let him take his bumps so that next season he is better. He is no Rivers, that is for sure. I think the coach did the right thing. He took one look at San Diego Chargers and said, "forget it this year...I can't beat them with this lousy team" and he started planning for their pathetic future! LOL

TCUFAN5
12-04-2006, 11:00 AM
they were doing well when they ran the ball.. i dont know why they threw the ball so much it wasnt like they were losing.. and tatum had 81 yds rushing in the first half.. that's great.. run him

mixbreed76
12-04-2006, 11:01 AM
this late in the season, if your still trying to win games and make a run for the title, the best bet in my opinion is to stay with a veteran QB. but if you want your future QB to gain experienced then right now would be the time.

thumper300zx
12-04-2006, 11:03 AM

Any thoughts?

Shanahan has "been there" and knows what a Super Bowl team is and what it is not. They said he wouldn't care if the Broncos went to the playoffs just to lose, so he made the next step and started preparing for next year. (see Chargers4Life post above). Then if he gets lucky, they still get into the playoffs with a few games behind their new QB. If Cutler turns out playing well in the next few weeks and wins some games (good luck next week ;) then they would actually have a decent backup QB (Plummer) that could help out during the playoff stretch.

It's questionable if all this is true of Shanahan. Seems pretty defeatest to me. But, I guess when you are being defeated, that's what happens. It seems to me like the Broncos would want to go with BREAD and BUTTER against San Diego. They've owned us for years, and Plummer has actually been a big part of that. Maybe we just know how to shut them down now, but did you notice only one bootleg play when we played them in Denver? They used to hurt us badly on long 3rd downs with that stuff. I guess the Chargers defense is strong/fast enough to take that away from them now.

The big difference this year isn't their QB if you ask me -- it's their inability to close a game. We couldn't do it last year, they can't do it this year. And beyond that, the Chargers are simply all together the best team in football right now. I can't believe how things are lining up to have a full squad of ALL PROs come playoff time. Wow. This is gonna be fun.

gazork
12-04-2006, 12:02 PM
The only question mark I have is why the Broncos elected to pass as much as they did. I would have thought that with their running game, the Broncos would have limited Cutler's attempts to 10-12 max, much like the Chargers did with Rivers' first start.

Other than that, I don't made a mistake in the QB change, nor do I think they are throwing in the towel. The Broncos are still in the wildcard picture, and are still very much a threat. With four games left in the season, anything can happen.

They threw only 21 times but that was probably 5/6 times too many - Bell was running very well against the Hawks.

Ikeman83
12-04-2006, 12:09 PM
I would've traded Plummer before the season began, when his value was high, to one of the dozen teams that didn't have a QB going into the season and started Cutler in week one.

mysteriousbolt
12-04-2006, 12:11 PM
They threw only 21 times but that was probably 5/6 times too many - Bell was running very well against the Hawks.

Although the stats reflect "21 times", keep in mind he was also sacked a couple times, indicating that he was supposed to be in the pocket for a potential passing play.

I would have called 10-12 passing plays tops, and just fed my work-horse running backs much like Marty did in PR's debut.

mysteriousbolt
12-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I might have made the change but as was mentioned, I would have ran the ball more and only had 10-12 passing plays. Still probably would have lost the game, but would have limited the mistakes for the young QB.

Exactly, it would have eliminated some of the mental/emotional mistakes that Cutler made. Oh well.

baphamet
12-04-2006, 12:13 PM
i would have done the exact same thing, because plummer had regressed very badly this year and the writing was on the wall.

there's really no risk IMO, cutler is either going to only gain experience for 07, or gain experience and help you in the playoffs.

plummer is who we thought he was.....a choker.

yep, i agree....either way they were not going anywhere in the post season with jake "the mistake" losing games, the QB change needed to be done in my opinion.

Sundiego
12-04-2006, 12:15 PM
It is obvious that Shanahan does not believe they will make it to the SB and maybe not even the playoffs. Putting Cutler in that late just proves that. With the hard games Denver has left they should have put him in earlier.

However I do not believe the problem is Plummer there is something else missing. Plummer has decrease in ability, however this might have been more to do with the fact that Jay Cutler was going to be in no matter what Jake does, either end of this year or next year. Plummer didn't seem to have as great of a spark as before.

As for Jay Cutler, sorry but after watching him the pre-season, that game against Seattle, in college, and reading up on his career he will not be a pro QB. He can change some things however he lacks in certain physical areas along with mental.

1) He isnt an outspoken leader. Although he is good at learning plays he doesnt show fire. He is no Romo or Rivers. This will force him to really earn the respect of his teammates to become the leader. Meaning a few years more at least.

2) He doesnt have the quickness of Jake and he doesnt have good pocket presence.

3) He throws long hard balls. He is not really a short pass thrower.

4) He is unreliable. Sometimes he makes great plays, and other times he makes huge mistakes. His first years of college he did rather poor, however he has improved.

Basically Cutler is like Eli, but not as accurate =)

Thunderstruck
12-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Cutler didn't look that bad. He played like a QB who was taking his first live snaps on national TV before a sold-out house in a game with playoff implications. In other words, he looked like a deer in the headlights most of the time.

It's the fans who were expecting anything other than what we saw last night who need to check their expectations. Last night was so predictable yet I saw so many fans (and not just Bronco fans) who were fully expecting Cutler to come in and shred in his first game. It's pretty laughable.

baphamet
12-04-2006, 12:16 PM
I would've traded Plummer before the season began, when his value was high, to one of the dozen teams that didn't have a QB going into the season and started Cutler in week one.

well plummer had a pretty decent season last year and i don't think they wanted to throw cutler out there at that point.

I'm pretty sure they were banking on jake playing alot better Than he did this year haha.

Boltbomber
12-04-2006, 12:23 PM
well plummer had a pretty decent season last year and i don't think they wanted to throw cutler out there at that point.

I'm pretty sure they were banking on jake playing alot better Than he did this year haha.

If they were banking on Jake having a good season then they should of bought the 100 acres of swamp land I was selling instead.

Sundiego
12-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Cutler didn't look that bad. He played like a QB who was taking his first live snaps on national TV before a sold-out house in a game with playoff implications. In other words, he looked like a deer in the headlights most of the time.

It's the fans who were expecting anything other than what we saw last night who need to check their expectations. Last night was so predictable yet I saw so many fans (and not just Bronco fans) who were fully expecting Cutler to come in and shred in his first game. It's pretty laughable.

He Didnt play that bad, however there were some things of concern. He is slightly more mobile than I thought, however instances where lack of pocket presence would be concerning. He even bumped into a Ref on the way out on the field. He Stairs down his recievers and forces throws. The fact that he is known to force throws and still has not improved on this means that it will take him a while, at least a season to get rid of this. He is not as prepared as Vince or Matt for the NFL and given his late start you can't expect anything big from him until at least until next year mid-season.

Sure he can practice, however that is nothing compared to real snaps.

It is also obvious that he still doesn't have a connection with his team.

I know its his first game, however the Seahawks arent known for one of the top passing defenses. However they made Jay Cutler really look like a rookie.

I think that Denver will have a worst record with him at least for a few seasons than they would of with Plummer.

6thSun
12-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Basically Cutler is like Eli, but not as accurate =)[/quote]

As accurate at delivering opposing teams the ball?
or as accurate at detonating his teams implosion?

The broncos are looking to next year and are just hoping to get into the playoffs this year.
I hope the bolts scare the crap out of the kid.

Go Bolts!!

Jammer
12-04-2006, 12:36 PM
i would have put Plummer back in after the Stupid INT he trew...

shanahan know he doesn't have SB team so he is playing for next year

Thunderstruck
12-04-2006, 12:38 PM

Look at the Broncos' personnel. They really aren't that talented on offense. Rod Smith is starting to show his age, Javon Walker is very good, but teams can double up on him, they have tight ends that are average, they have running backs that would be mediocre in any other system...

The Broncos subsist almost entirely on their zone-blocking scheme. When teams are able to take away their running game they don't have a lot to fall back on. A lot of Donk fans complain that Plummer was no John Elway, and that's true. On the other hand, when Elway won his superbowls he had such no-name players as Terrell Davis, Ed McAfree, Shannon Sharpe, and Rod Smith in his prime, along with an o-line that was better than their current o-line.

Imagine what the Donks offense would look like if they hadn't swung the Walker trade. If they had to win games with their offense the Broncos would be about 3-9 right now. Blaming Plummer for all their problems was just stupid. It's not like he's surrounded by pro-bowl talent.

dekkerbasser
12-04-2006, 12:43 PM
I don't think Cutler tanked last night.....it was his 1st game.

I think they are ready to write this season off though

Absolutely.

jerry62
12-04-2006, 04:57 PM
I would have kept Plummer. Their chances were better with Plummer, unless as some people in this thread have suggested, Shanahan is going to use the rest of the season to allow Cutler to gain some experience.

StevenSD
12-04-2006, 06:29 PM
What would you have done if you were Shanahan?

Put a gun to my head and pull the trigger??

HAHAHAHA

That just summarizes it all.