PDA

View Full Version : Here's a great idea. . .

rule12b
10-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Hey there Front Office, why not wait until one hour before game time to let all of us know when and where the game will be played?!?

The spectacle of all of us season ticket holders and fans trying to make arrangements to be there will be zany and hilarious.

I can't believe they still have not made a decision. Still this pales in comparison to the insanely stupid move Steeg made regarding RV parking at the Q. That's got to be reversed as well.

9T3SVT
10-26-2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20071026-9999-1s26canepa.html

1.21Gigawatts
10-26-2007, 09:29 AM
The spectacle of all of us season ticket holders and fans trying to make arrangements to be there will be zany and hilarious.

They can play the theme song to Benny Hill as it happens.

Packhorse
10-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Apparently the hold up now is convincing the Texans owner, whose trying to say the air quality should bring this game to Houston.

I say let them forfeit if that's how they want to play it. Tell them we'll be at the Q on Sunday, come play some football or forfeit, either way we're going to be 4-3.

action83jackson
10-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Apparently the hold up now is convincing the Texans owner, whose trying to say the air quality should bring this game to Houston.

I say let them forfeit if that's how they want to play it. Tell them we'll be at the Q on Sunday, come play some football or forfeit, either way we're going to be 4-3.

Damn straight.

The Texans owner has been lobbying for this game to be played in Houston all week long, he should be ashamed of himself for trying to take advantage of such an unfortunate situation.

JCDavey
10-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Damn straight.

The Texans owner has been lobbying for this game to be played in Houston all week long, he should be ashamed of himself for trying to take advantage of such an unfortunate situation.yep, the texans owner is a piece of human garbage

mdsd77
10-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Best line out of that article is the last one

"Make a damn decision already."

Packhorse
10-26-2007, 09:52 AM
yep, the texans owner is a piece of human garbage

Don't take my word for it, that's just what a poster said they heard on the Scott and BR show this morning. I don't want to dirty the owner if it's not true, sounds likely though, since the Chargers/NFL/City/CBS all say play it. I think George Bush has even endorsed this friggin game by now.

We should have an official game in the next few hours.

Dojo
10-26-2007, 09:57 AM
is it me or does anyone else feel really upset that they have to move the people that was seeking refuge at the Q? Unless they were set up in the Holiday Inn then it would be ok, but where are they sending them? That is a decision that can't be rushed. These people lost their homes with everything they've ever built for and will probably have to go bankrupt.
With that being said, I'm up for a game at the Q but not unless it's under the right circumstances.

GoMathews
10-26-2007, 10:00 AM
is it me or does anyone else feel really upset that they have to move the people that was seeking refuge at the Q? Unless they were set up in the Holiday Inn then it would be ok, but where are they sending them? That is a decision that can't be rushed. These people lost their homes with everything they've ever built for and will probably have to go bankrupt.
With that being said, I'm up for a game at the Q but not unless it's under the right circumstances.

Definitely. I show up to the Q at 8 am every game and spend my whole Sunday there. I would be hurt if the game wasn't played in San Diego, but I would be more than willing to accept it.

sdcsp95
10-26-2007, 10:00 AM
if the texans really are trying to get this game played in houston, then they are greedy and a couple other words that i wont say. how can you lobby for this game to be in houston? it was not spose to be houston so it shouldnt be in houston. the teaxans just need to deal with it.

action83jackson
10-26-2007, 10:01 AM

It sounded a little bothersome to me also when I first heard the news, but there are supposedly 200 people or less still remaining, and they are just moving them 10-15min up the freeway to the Del Mar Fairgrounds.

9T3SVT
10-26-2007, 10:04 AM

They only had a handful of people left there as of yesterday. I saw that they're starting the clean up effort today.

If there were thousands still there then I'd agree with you. This isn't Katrina IMO, businesses are open, people have options.

StevenSD
10-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Can anyone provide a link confirming that the Texans owner wants the game in Houston?

StevenSD
10-26-2007, 10:10 AM
I don't think the city or the Chargers would force them out for a football game.

And they've already made it clear that they are not and they will be patient for whatever the decision will turn out to be.

IMO, the small light of this horrible situation is the fact that we had a place like the Q for this. Imagine if that was just a park! Where would've the 15,000 of people gone?

Jyoti
10-26-2007, 10:14 AM
I would be more concerned at taking however many police off the streets that are trying to keep looters in check for a football game. They are doing a good job so far, but if you move several hundred cops out, that may signal open season in some burned out areas.

action83jackson
10-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Can anyone provide a link confirming that the Texans owner wants the game in Houston?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/ballz/2007/10/fires_in_southern_california_w.php

And finally, the other thing bugging me is, when the game in 2003 was moved, tickets in Phoenix for the game were free. But thatís not the case for this one. It looks like Bob McNair is trying to gouge the public, which is probably why he's lobbying so hard to have the game played here.
So, it looks from here like the NFL wants to play nice for Bob McNair while trying to screw the Chargers. And with whatís going on in San Diego at the moment, arenít the Chargers being screwed around with enough as it is? -- John Royal

Califor
10-26-2007, 10:25 AM
I am just afraid that, the majority of the country will get the impression that all this hold up, is from the Charger brass, to mess with the texans.

I just dont want sympathy turned to disdain.

PRivRules
10-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Petco Park?
Let the evacuees have piece of mind even if they were going to leave by Friday.
Of course not.
I mean after all, Petco and the bond scam was only paid for 80% by taxpayer money.
Much better to run evacuees out of Qualcomm and keep the grass perfect at Petco.

StevenSD
10-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Petco Park?
Let the evacuees have piece of mind even if they were going to leave by Friday.
Of course not.
I mean after all, Petco and the bond scam was only paid for 80% by taxpayer money.
Much better to run evacuees out of Qualcomm and keep the grass perfect at Petco.

DUDE, think about the traffic of 15,000 people in the GASLAMP district! That's almost as insane as asking the whole county to evacuate!

o.O
O.o

Obi Wan Jacoby
10-26-2007, 11:05 AM
yep, the texans owner is a piece of human garbage

are yall serious?? who wouldnt want to turn a road game into a home game......... and Bob Mcnair has done alot for the community.

StevenSD
10-26-2007, 11:06 AM
are yall serious?? who wouldnt want to turn a road game into a home game......... and Bob Mcnair has done alot for the community.

Are you serious? Why would you even think about that when your opponent's community is in a state of emergency?!

bigslick
10-26-2007, 11:32 AM
DUDE, think about the traffic of 15,000 people in the GASLAMP district! That's almost as insane as asking the whole county to evacuate!

o.O
O.o
I don't think that Petco needs to be used to house a few hundred people but traffic is not an issue.

There are 32,000+ for most Padre games.

There are 50,000+ for Mardi Gras.

56lightsout56
10-26-2007, 11:40 AM

he hasnt done squat for this one. all I see is a greedy individual.

lets see....

the citizens of S.D. county have been working and in the smoke all week.

the local fire fighters wearing fire equipment and fighting the fires have been in the smoke all week.

The Navy and the Marines on camp Pendleton have been fighting fires in the smoke.

and your poor widdle owner is worried about spending a few hours in relatively clean air? awwwwwww......

I dont give whats below a rat's tail about your owner the big http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/baby2.gif

TexansFight
10-26-2007, 11:42 AM

Do wha??? Playing the game in Houston is no longer even an option. McNair knows that. He was simply offering Reliant Stadium as a viable alternative if the game needed to be played elsewhere. Most all other places were out as options and it was pretty much down to Dallas or Houston. OF COURSE our owner would have prefered it to be at our house. ANY OWNER would have pushed for the same thing.

But as far as him STILL pushing for it to be in Houston.... thats not even close to being true. Everyone knows its just WHEN in San Diego.

BoltFanSoCal
10-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey there Front Office, why not wait until one hour before game time to let all of us know when and where the game will be played?!?

Great idea. Kind of like Movie Stars telling everyone where the wedding is an hour before. How exciting. Actually it is absurd. It is 48 hours before game time on Sunday and no one know when the game is going to be played.

action83jackson
10-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Do wha??? Playing the game in Houston is no longer even an option. McNair knows that. He was simply offering Reliant Stadium as a viable alternative if the game needed to be played elsewhere. Most all other places were out as options and it was pretty much down to Dallas or Houston. OF COURSE our owner would have prefered it to be at our house. ANY OWNER would have pushed for the same thing.

But as far as him STILL pushing for it to be in Houston.... thats not even close to being true. Everyone knows its just WHEN in San Diego.

There is most definitely a big difference between a Texans fan's definition of 'simply offering' and your own Houston news reporters using the words "Lobbying so hard to have the game played here (Houston)."

I dont think that any NFL team owner would have handled the situation the same as McNair has. There are plenty of other venues that can host this game much closer to home than Houston, he was trying to benefit from the situation that SD has been thrust in and thats a fact.

Obi Wan Jacoby
10-26-2007, 01:08 PM
There is most definitely a big difference between a Texans fan's definition of 'simply offering' and your own Houston news reporters using the words "Lobbying so hard to have the game played here (Houston)."

I dont think that any NFL team owner would have handled the situation the same as McNair has. There are plenty of other venues that can host this game much closer to home than Houston, he was trying to benefit from the situation that SD has been thrust in and thats a fact.

and i will repeat, who wouldnt want to turn a road game into a home game? and your wrong about any other NFL owner, most woulda pushed harder, the fires suck, and its no fun, but that doesnt change the fact he wants to win sunday, and get any advantage possible. plus YOUR orginization is holding everyones nuts on the issue..... pick a freakin game site, id hate it if i had tickets, or were planing to go this weekend and i still didnt know...... so shut up, you dont know him, you obviously dont know our city and orginization... so once again shut up

action83jackson
10-26-2007, 01:18 PM
and i will repeat, who wouldnt want to turn a road game into a home game? and your wrong about any other NFL owner, most woulda pushed harder, the fires suck, and its no fun, but that doesnt change the fact he wants to win sunday, and get any advantage possible. plus YOUR orginization is holding everyones nuts on the issue..... pick a freakin game site, id hate it if i had tickets, or were planing to go this weekend and i still didnt know...... so shut up, you dont know him, you obviously dont know our city and orginization... so once again shut up

Its the news coming out of your own city about your own team, not what anyone else has made up.

Strong argument there, you sure you couldnt fit in another 'shut up' anywhere in there? :LightsOut:

Rivers+LT=SB
10-26-2007, 01:18 PM
And they've already made it clear that they are not and they will be patient for whatever the decision will turn out to be.

IMO, the small light of this horrible situation is the fact that we had a place like the Q for this. Imagine if that was just a park! Where would've the 15,000 of people gone?

They probaly would have done something with Petco Park in my opinion.

The Moekid
10-26-2007, 01:19 PM
They probaly would have done something with Petco Park in my opinion.

del mar fairgrounds was a good first choice

Rivers+LT=SB
10-26-2007, 01:20 PM

How about you get the **** off our forums if you are going to come here with that trash.

Rivers+LT=SB
10-26-2007, 01:22 PM
del mar fairgrounds was a good first choice

Yea I actually live across the street from the Fairgrounds, it's definately capable of holding a good amount of people... but I dunno about 15,000 or however many there were.

If the Q wasn't here, we would have still figured out places for everyone to go, but it would have made it more difficult for sure.

Toad
10-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Don't take my word for it, that's just what a poster said they heard on the Scott and BR show this morning. I don't want to dirty the owner if it's not true, sounds likely though, since the Chargers/NFL/City/CBS all say play it. I think George Bush has even endorsed this friggin game by now.

We should have an official game in the next few hours.

I think it has mainly been an issue of air-quality; it sucks. And, it's not any better in OC or LAC. Lots-o-fires still going everywhere, and some goofballs starting some more can't be ruled out.

All of the SD County outdoor games have been cancelled this week for all of the schools, HS, JuCo and College. I have my doubts about the air being clean for Sunday, but apparently they're playing anyway.

56lightsout56
10-26-2007, 02:32 PM
what he said:

Michael David Smith
http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Texans owner Bob McNair hasn't exactly bent over backward to sound supportive in all this, saying he didn't want the game to be played Monday night, which would force his team to have to fly back from San Diego Tuesday morning.

McNair also said, "Our people are worn out (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3077884)," a comment that no doubt elicited a lot of sympathy from the thousands of firefighters who have risked their lives working through grueling conditions this week.

Obi Wan Jacoby
10-26-2007, 03:20 PM
what he said:

Michael David Smith

ya, that doesnt sound spun....... (sarcasm, if u didnt pick it up)
yall are takin this too personally...

williammg
10-26-2007, 03:22 PM
its all good, we now are playing at home, and we will win

primadox
10-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Here's my perspective:

I'm a Saints fan. I hated the fact that the Saints/Giants game was in Giants Stadium, although given the short notice there weren't a lot of options. Having it locally was a bad idea...it's not like Saints fans were in a position to go to Jackson, Shreveport, etc., for a game in those initial days following Katrina -- it went beyond the Superdome being unavailable; the ticket holders were also not available. Many Saints fans were upset and rightly so for that "home" game, but honestly there weren't many other options on such short notice. JMO. Still, the Saints didn't even get to use the "home" locker room...so much for making them the "home team". In hindsight, a neutral site with free tickets or admission going towards Katrina relief would have been better. Live and learn, NFL. I wasn't happy about the "home" game, but I understand why they made that decision. We got a good draft choice out of it, anyway! :D

I'm also a Houston resident. Honestly, I've heard all about McNair offering his stadium, and his concerns about his team; I've heard NOTHING about him pushing for the game at Reliant. I'm a Saints fan, not a Texans fan, so no bias here...but I do tend to take with a grain of salt info from sports blogs and the PFT rumor mill.

From Wednesday's Houston Chronicle at chron.com: "We'd love to have the Chargers play at Reliant Stadium," Texans owner Bob McNair said from Philadelphia. "I think we could sell out in three days. But from a competitive standpoint, I'm not sure the Chargers would want to do that. We're just waiting to see." http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/5238552.html

Doesn't sound like "pushing" to me. I think his concerns for his players were more geared towards "let's make a decision soon", so that it wouldn't be so taxing on his players. That's valid, IMO. *edit* I'm seeing now that his beef was with a Monday game...with another West Coast trip next weekend, he wanted to play this game on Sunday as scheduled rather than move it to Monday. Agreed that in the grand scheme of things his "worn out" people have nothing on the brave firefighters, but he has a valid request, IMO. Again, I don't see any "demands" here, but I do see an owner who is concerned about his players and coaches:
"We would like to see the game played Sunday, and we understand there are problems in San Diego and if those can be overcome then certainly the game ought to be played there because that's where it was scheduled," McNair said, according to the Fox affiliate's Web site. "But on the other hand if it can't be played there on Sunday it puts us at a competitive disadvantage to delay the game and play it on Monday because we have to go back out on the West Coast again for the following Sunday to play Oakland.
"That would mean if we played somewhere on the West Coast, other than Houston on a Monday night, we'd get back Tuesday," McNair added. "Our people are worn out. They get back at 5 in the morning and we have a very limited amount of time to do anything. So we really would like to see the game played on Sunday." http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3077884

From "Topix" online news yesterday (not sure how reliable, but they have some quotes):
'What's the mood of the people going to be after having such a catastrophic fire?' Texans owner Bob McNair said. 'Would they welcome the opportunity to have an afternoon of fun and relaxation? Or would they view it as being inappropriate? Obviously, I think the mayor has to make that decision.'

McNair has offered Houston's Reliant Stadium as an option, but the Chargers prefer a neutral site. The league received backlash in 2005 when the New Orleans Saints were forced to move a home game against the Giants to Giants Stadium after Hurricane Katrina.
'I think any team that has a home game doesn't want to give up the home-field advantage,' McNair said. 'That's a feeling that we all share.'
http://www.topix.net/content/kri/2007/10/decision-due-today-on-chargers-game

Again, I'm not a Texans homer defending McNair, but I am a Houston resident who has not heard one word about McNair "pushing" for the game to be held here. Seems like he is pretty agreeable as to why it shouldn't be here, honestly. I hate to see someone blasted for no reason; JMO. :)

I'll try to find more info from here in Houston if anyone wants. And FWIW, I'm glad the game is home where it belongs, and that the area is able to host it. Just because the game is going on as scheduled doesn't mean that the situation is over...prayers are still going out to everyone there.

JCDavey
10-26-2007, 07:17 PM
what he said:

Michael David Smith
just proves mcnair is a world class ahole

don't worry jacoby, i've said as much about our owner too, so don't think i'm saying "our owner can beat up your owner" man

i pretty much hate them both lol

Jubilation T. Cornpone
10-27-2007, 12:14 AM
I remember that catch too but I think it was before video tape players were common. My first tapes are a couple years after that catch.
Why donít the Charger head honchos hire someone to collect all the 47 years of highlights, convert them to mpgs or whatever and start a new section called Charger Highlights?
Joelbolt?