PDA

View Full Version : Merging and moving, what's the deal?

Pages : [1] 2

mdsd77
11-04-2007, 05:27 PM
what nothing can be talked about without getting moved?

this is getting ridiculous

its a free society let the people speak their minds and let others debate their point of view...

I have read the rules and just because you want it moved doesn't mean it has to be moved...

let the threads play out

GO CHARGERS !!

SDynasty
11-04-2007, 05:29 PM
what nothing can be talked about without getting moved?

this is getting ridiculous

its a free society let the people speak their minds and let others debate their point of view...

I have read the rules and just because you want it moved doesn't mean it has to be moved...

let the threads play out

GO CHARGERS !!

Mods and AJ have egos

SDfansince'86
11-04-2007, 05:35 PM
there are different sections for a reason...people keep starting the same threads over and over and over again...instead of looking in the right spot

just because it's moved doesnt mean it can't be discussed, you just have to go to the right spot to talk about it is all :)

Grodyman
11-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Sometimes people want to make a point without it getting buried on page 112.

Grodyman
11-04-2007, 05:37 PM
That took longer than I thought.

dcboltfan
11-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Hey, there is a forum on SignonSandiego with DIFFERENT mods.. (or at least I believe they are different mods...)

If you do not like these ones, go to that site. (I personally like this site better... even with the over active moderation)

Caslon
11-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Let me pop your bubble dudes. This forum isn't a country.
Second of all...there are appropriate areas of the forum to discuss your dogs butt or whatever.

Just because this area of the forum gets the most exposure, idiots want to post what they have just learned about non-Charger stuff. This despite the fact that this area is clearly defined for discussing Chargers football, not Michael Vick, or some team running up the score or other bunk.

Instead of letting "threads play out" why don't you post in the appropriate area to begin with?

Jubilation T. Cornpone
11-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Lol
All the way to Feedback.
Thatís what I call poetic justice.
Good work, Mods. :LightsOut:

Shamrock
11-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Whats the deal with The MOVED crap?

Which crap do you want moved? I'm the man for the job.

Funny .... ironic, I guess. You call the threads "crap" then gripe that they're being moved. Too funny.

deepthreat616
11-27-2007, 10:05 AM
What is harder:

Reading 5 slightly different threads on similar topics?

Or going through 50+ pages of 5+ threads merged together.

Personally I would rather see the topic broken down a little bit more.

Think of them as Chapters.

Other then keeping this board relatively PG, I think the Mods need to leave it alone.

Stone
11-27-2007, 10:10 AM
If you let everyone thinks their thoughts warrant a thread, we'll have 30 new threads with no posts in them. No real discussion, just people throwing out thoughts and leaving.

Forums need to kept on topic so that the pages don't sprawl into chaos (the forum after losses is evidence). I continue to sponsor the idea that when you click to send a new thread, it should be automatically sent to mods for approval so that stupid threads can be moved or locked up (with explanation of course) without actually being displayed. The annoyance of waiting a few minutes is worth keeping it clean.

From what I've been told, this technology doesn't work unless it goes for all posts, which would be a waste of all our time. But if we can make it work, I'd love it.

deepthreat616
11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
But then the thread just drops down the list and is forgotten anyways.

There is natural selection with boards by design. There is no need IMO for mods to mess with them so much.

If a topic is hot lots of people keep it alive. Hell lots of people keep 5 or 6 threads alive. Nothing wrong with that. How many completely unique and relevant topics do we expect to have?

Chargeroo
11-27-2007, 10:27 AM
What is harder:

Reading 5 slightly different threads on similar topics?

Or going through 50+ pages of 5+ threads merged together.

Personally I would rather see the topic broken down a little bit more.

Think of them as Chapters.

Other then keeping this board relatively PG, I think the Mods need to leave it alone.We merge similar threads because it keeps threads on page 1. If we have 4/5 threads about the same thing, we have 4/5 threads about other things that are pushed to page two.

Onyournrvs
11-27-2007, 10:36 AM
My observation has been that people are simply too lazy to scan the first couple of pages or (gasp!) use the search function to find a relevant thread to contribute to.

There's also the "Look At Me!" factor: people just like to create new threads, even when it is obviously OT, duplicates what someone else just said or contributes nothing to the overarching discussion. It's a case of "wow, I'm so clever/insightful and everyone is going to want to listen to what I have to say..."

The endless polls on BS topics are tiresome as well. Is this a Chargers forum or Cosmo?

SDRANGER619
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
MERGE THEM! clutter = bad.

frozendisc
11-27-2007, 10:57 AM
No one way is perfect....the mods do a good job with the way they handle it now....IMO.

Chargeroo
11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
My observation has been that people are simply too lazy to scan the first couple of pages or (gasp!) use the search function to find a relevant thread to contribute to.

There's also the "Look At Me!" factor: people just like to create new threads, even when it is obviously OT, duplicates what someone else just said or contributes nothing to the overarching discussion. It's a case of "wow, I'm so clever/insightful and everyone is going to want to listen to what I have to say..."

The endless polls on BS topics are tiresome as well. Is this a Chargers forum or Cosmo? I think you're right on all counts. Newer people love to start new threads so they'll be noticed.

I sure agree about the useless polls. We have way too many useless polls. I think we need some sort of approval for polls to be posted.

kiwibolt
11-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I think you're right on all counts. Newer people love to start new threads so they'll be noticed.

I sure agree about the useless polls. We have way too many useless polls. I think we need some sort of approval for polls to be posted.
I'm going to make a poll to see what everybody thinks on that. :good:

Charanna
11-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Ok...I think I get it. Sort of. What about the people who are really new, and think they're contributing to a topic, but posts seem to be lost in space because she's not sure how to do this and really wants to start rubbing elbows, so to speak, with other fans?

Dan40
12-21-2007, 03:26 AM
I just took the time to merge these two threads together. But it brings up a very important point. I am a merge-master mod. I agree with Chargeroo's reasoning above.

This place is less strict than other places. You guys should check out Television Without Pity (www.televisionwithoutpity.com) - their posting guidelines. They even say to make sure you read the last 10 pages of a thread before posting - and they have threads that are 5000 pages long.

I have a sense that some of you users who complain about merging and moving worry more about getting your posts thread than actually contributing to a conversation.

Even free speech (which doesn't apply here anyway) doesn't guarantee the right to be heard. The best way to be heard is to be interesting.

Just my two cents.

FanSince1979
12-21-2007, 03:38 AM
I wish there was more merging of threads. I take a day or two off, and there are 6+ pages of threads, mostly on the same subjects, to sift through.

Too many people hit the New Thread button the way others hit the Reply button.

Dan40
01-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Thread stickied.

A good way to the see if a topic has been posted recently is hitting New Posts (http://forums.chargers.com/search.php?do=getnew).

I always go there first. If everybody did this, then we wouldn't have posters complaining about threads being moved out of General Discussion.

chargertom
01-03-2008, 06:58 PM
One thing I'd like to mention is that reading through several hundred posts, deleting or editing them, pm'ing people warnings, doing infractions (which are a lot of "paperwork", having to scan for trolls and ban them, and all the merging and moving of threads is a lot of work. And we don't do it because we are bored. We do it because we enjoy helping everyone have a good time on the forums, and because it needs to be done if we are to continue to enjoy these forums. How many teams nowadays don't even have a fan forum because it was left up to the posters to run things?

The forum is divided up into sections, so that people can go to an area and find threads on topics they are interested in. The Playoffs, Around The NFL, Off Topic, etc.

Why do people start a thread about Michael Vick in General Discussion? Or run smack there?

We do our best to keep hot topics on the main page. But sometimes there are 15 threads about the same hot topic. And as was mentioned, that means that 15 other threads are now on page 2, or 3.

Sometimes there isn't a redirect, showing that the thread has been merged or moved. If you can't find a thread you posted in, just click on your username, and check out your posts. Click on one in the thread you are interested in, and you will be taken there.

I know the mods here would love to spend their time reading and posting replies to the many topics on these forums. We all love the Chargers and football in general as much as you all do. But I can't tell you how many times I have not gotten in a single reply when being here because there was so much other stuff that needed doing.

So don't think that because your post gets moved or merged, that you are being singled out or that the mods have something against you. And we certainly aren't trying to censor anyone, or stifle your opinions.

What we are trying to do is maintain a flowing forum, where topics are easy to find and readily discussed by the fans of this team.

Unfortunately, sometimes for that to happen there are going to be things done around here that you personally might not like. During those occasions, try to think about all the things that go on around here that you DO like.

Thanks! And Go Chargers!! :logo

Khan
08-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks Tom....and trust me, I know the work you go through. I Admin the Iron Maiden fan club forum with over 75,000 members...and we use this same software....and we get all the same complaints.

What I have, is not a complaint but a question. I looked over the rules and different forums as a new member here, and it seemed totally appropriate for me to introduce myself in the Introduction thread in the general section, and I saw nothing tha said I could not share a couple of wallpapers I made, while making my inroduction. Since then, I notice that my post was made into it's own thread in the "feedback" section, and the thread was called 50th Anniversary Wallpapers. The feedback section looked to me to be for us to give feedback on what goes on....rather than getting feedback on our artwork. I'm an artist, and I notice that a lot of forums try and push artwork into sub forums that, frankly, most people just don't go to that often.

So....first....sorry if I posted in the wrong forum...but I was definitely trying not to do that. Second....would it be against the rules to post my Chargers related artwork in the general section? I saw no rules against it...but it seems that if I do, it would likely get moved anyway.

Thanks again.

ArgersChayFan
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
I have complained in the past (once that I remember) about posts getting merged. What irks me is that I will have read the posts in the different threads, and then be presented with them as new posts (using View First Unread,) and have to wade through pages and pages of posts to get to the truly unread posts.

I believe the only time I posted a complaint about it was when I was reading a game-day thread. I was a little behind in reading current posts and trying desperately to catch up, but with the overwhelming desire of not missing any of the game. All of a sudden, there were I don't know how many pages of unread posts and it was obvious that it was due to a merge.

Do what you will, but I would hope you could hold off on merging into the game-day thread until after the game is over. My suggestion would be to close the thread with a post explaining that there is already an official game day thread to which the new thread's post should have been posted. And then clean up after the game.

GoMathews
10-24-2009, 11:09 PM
I suggested that we start a reputation based message boards like many other sophisticated football forums, but I suppose it gets moved for being a duplicate thread. However, these duplicate threads never get moved which have persisted for years:

-LT has lost a step
-I hate Norv Turners Smirk
-Fire AJ/Praise AJ
-Vincent Jackson is not progressing fast enough
-Rivers was a bad choice
-Move Jammer to safety
-blah blah blah

Oh mighty message board gods please condemn me to my place for I have sinned upon this bandwith!

Letsgobolts
10-24-2009, 11:31 PM
I agree, I don't understand it either. Your thread wasn't even bad

dead bolt
10-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Well, if they moved that one, let's see how long this one is around....:)

GoMathews
10-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Well, if they moved that one, let's see how long this one is around....:)

Affirmative, sir. Statistics have shown that a 'desensitize curve' does in fact exist, and if the topic comes up frequently enough, thy mods shall ignore.

Jubilation T. Cornpone
10-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Start a poll in off topic and see if it stays there. If it gets moved to feedback very few will see it. But if it is a poll maybe they will leave it in off topic. Be sure to explain the system you are talking about as I don't think many know anything about it. If you start the poll in GD, it will probably get moved to feedback.

FCBolt
10-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Hey GT, isn't it time for one of your classic pix:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vQmMK7udEnc/Snho5oL5qVI/AAAAAAAAAfY/U7VL8KLzcUc/s320/Crying+Baby.jpg

boltcorpse
10-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Mods... recommend 51-hour ban of all CMB members... just because.

Chargerfreak
10-25-2009, 04:44 AM
Mods... recommend 51-hour ban of all CMB members... just because.
Agreed.

I hope we win today. The CMB is just in disarray. I have seen it all week, from the Mods on down. Even me. Just kick the hell out of KC already.

DefenseWins
10-25-2009, 07:06 AM
It was moved by me, to the same place this one was - to the "Feedback" section, where suggestions for changes to the forums, questions about moderation, and all other "administrative" related threads are.

That is what the "Feedback" forum is for :)

GoMathews
10-25-2009, 09:18 AM
It was moved by me, to the same place this one was - to the "Feedback" section, where suggestions for changes to the forums, questions about moderation, and all other "administrative" related threads are.

That is what the "Feedback" forum is for :)

Hmmmpphhhhh....... but I always looked at the feedback section as a graveyard where threads are buried alive and left to die. :(

Chargerfreak
10-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Hmmmpphhhhh....... but I always looked at the feedback section as a graveyard where threads are buried alive and left to die. :(It is.

and you have been.

DefenseWins
10-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Hmmmpphhhhh....... but I always looked at the feedback section as a graveyard where threads are buried alive and left to die. :(

Wrong viewpoint :) Seriously, this is where discussions about forum improvements, problems, suggestions, moderation, etc. are meant to go. As mods we look in here for questions/comments about moderation (there's a sticky for them) and Joel looks in here for things regarding the forums in general (web page problems, suggestions, etc.). It's also where discussions/requests for sig pics and avatars reside (since they don't have their own section and they can stay "near the top" in here via sticky).

If you want to see a thread "buried alive", put it in GD - with the 5,000 threads a day (as you commented on as part of your reasoning regarding reputation), threads often disappear real quick in there :good:

nmboltsfan
11-30-2009, 09:51 PM

I totally think it is. I've been a CMB member for about a year now and I had NO IDEA this forum existed until today. And I only found out because I accidentally hit a wrong link. BUT I did find some snazzy wallpapers. Thank you snazzy wallpaper creators.

LightEmUp
12-08-2009, 10:10 AM
You've merged my thread about Jim Brown TWICE with the Congrats LT thread.

At worst you could put it in around the NFL, but to merge it with a thread Congrating LT is either LAZY or personal.

My threads always get messed with. I speak my mind and dont plan on wearing the sheeps coat ever in my lifetime. If some MOD cant handle that because it might crack the fragile egg this forum has become atleast out yourself and let it be known who you are.

1. You merged it in a thread having nothing to do with the topic
2. You gave no reason as to why you merged it - TWICE
3. You ignored my heading in the post saying this thread "has nothing to do with congrating LT, it's a JIM BROWN thread"
4. You dont even say who you are.

This was supposed to be a board of discussion. My posts have been censored too many times. All in this fashion.

You can hate what I have to say all you want but handling it like this tells a lot about your agenda here.

Merge this with the "kiss my butt" thread! :D

Lucid
12-08-2009, 10:11 AM
You know sometimes the best thing to do is to talk to someone on a one-to-one level... like ChargerTom does to me all the time.

Just an FYI

kiwibolt
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I moved this thread to the appropriate section of the forum.

BTW: I'm not the Mod who moved your threads, nor did I read either of the original threads, but perhaps the discussion in both threads started becoming just like the discussions in the other LT threads? Invariably most of the threads start saying the same thing- in this case, why didn't Brown acknowledge LT, why is he grumpy, ect, ect.

LightEmUp
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
You know sometimes the best thing to do is to talk to someone on a one-to-one level... like ChargerTom does to me all the time.

Just an FYI

My WHOLE POST says that.

FYI yourself and read before you write....

LightEmUp
12-08-2009, 10:13 AM

BTW: I'm not the Mod who moved your threads, nor did I read either of the original threads.

I knew it wasnt you when it happened. Lazy or Personal.

Never an explanation given until I call him out.

LightEmUp
12-08-2009, 10:15 AM

BTW: I'm not the Mod who moved your threads, nor did I read either of the original threads, but perhaps the discussion in both threads started becoming just like the discussions in the other LT threads? Invariably most of the threads start saying the same thing- in this case, why didn't Brown acknowledge LT, why is he grumpy, ect, ect.

Then he should have changed the thread headline to what I had "Jim Brown - Old Cranky, Crusty dude"

Not - Congrats LT.

Lazy or personal?

kiwibolt
12-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Check your PMs

Lucid
12-08-2009, 10:21 AM
My WHOLE POST says that.

FYI yourself and read before you write....

I was talking about PMing a mod as opposed to broadcasting to the entire forum.... I guess the analogy was either under you, over you, or simply slipped through your fingers.

You see you can PM a mod directly and ask them specific questions, or if you really want to ask a mod a question and want it to be listed in the forum type atmosphere I would suggest you use the existing forum titled "Ask a Mod". You see in this "ask a mod" forum you can ask a mod via posting a question and a mod responds.... its really revolutionary.

I just tried to FYI myself but I got a syntax error due to potential loop problem, but I appreciate the advice.

LightEmUp
12-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I was talking about PMing a mod as opposed to broadcasting to the entire forum.... I guess the analogy was either under you, over you, or simply slipped through your fingers.

You see you can PM a mod directly and ask them specific questions, or if you really want to ask a mod a question and want it to be listed in the forum type atmosphere I would suggest you use the existing forum titled "Ask a Mod". You see in this "ask a mod" forum you can ask a mod via posting a question and a mod responds.... its really revolutionary.

I just tried to FYI myself but I got a syntax error due to potential loop problem, but I appreciate the advice.

Your pretending to be smart was lost on me. Went right underneath my foot.

Ask a MOD what in PM? why they do this numerous times without explanation? What was lost on you dude is that after this happens so many times it needs to be aired out. If this is how mods are running this site it needs to be called to attention.

Again. Read what I wrote and consider your options and see if they might have already been tried down the long blue and yellow brick road called PAST EXPERIENCES....

FCBolt
12-08-2009, 10:34 AM

You need to initiate your loop with
for i in I

then, all will be okay

http://thepilver.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/bob-marley.jpg

Lucid
12-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Your pretending to be smart was lost on me. Went right underneath my foot.

Ask a MOD what in PM? why they do this numerous times without explanation? What was lost on you dude is that after this happens so many times it needs to be aired out. If this is how mods are running this site it needs to be called to attention.

Again. Read what I wrote and consider your options and see if they might have already been tried down the long blue and yellow brick road called PAST EXPERIENCES....

Ok when I was talking about speaking with someone one-on-one I was talking about a closed environment where not everyone gets involved (you see when you post on a board you welcome everyones thoughts, when you PM you welcome only the peoples thoughts who you have chosen to include). I guess it was a bit vague.

Regarding the Ask a Mod you said your threads needed to be "aired out", all I was doing is saying that the "ask a mod" thread is the proper location for airing out all questions. Its sorta like parking in the middle of the road despite a parking lot adjacent designated for parking, thus the question of mods decisions should start with the ask a mod thread.

As for past experiences lets just say I have been dismissed more times at the hands of the mods most if not all on this board. Im not trying to fight you, I am just trying to let you know how it works.

chargertom
12-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I just read the entire thread in question. It started out innocent enough. A few posters telling LT "congrats". Then it degraded to what it is now. A whole slew of people talking about how classless Jim Brown is. Arguing, bickering back and forth.

Your original thread was nothing new. It was just another Jim Brown bashing. That's why it went where it did.

Then you start the exact same thread, exact same post, but put the instructions "Do Not Merge" in the last line. I didn't merge it the second time, but the mod who did was correct in doing so.

Your thought brought nothing new to the conversation. It was just more Jim Brown bashing.

And now the thread has turned into personal attacks, name calling and insults.

One thing you'll find out .... calling out a mod in the GD section isn't the way to do business. And you ask "which mod?" How about sending your questions to ALL the mods. More than one name will fit in the address line of your pm. I'm willing to bet you get an answer.

Calling us "nazis"? Seriously? Then you feel it's okay to go on and use abbreviated profanity, insult other posters, and act all insulted that your post wasn't given the special recognition you feel it deserved.

You might feel that you're somehow "fighting the good fight" here. But all you're really doing is setting yourself up. Do you seriously think we have the time, or the capability, to individually notify every single poster whose post we have to edit or delete, or whose thread we have to move or merge? With several thousand new posts a day, and 3 or 4 active mods? Give us a break.

But you continue to govern yourself as you see fit. You're free to make your own decisions and choices here ... but you're not free from the consequences.

Time4aRing
12-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Isn't there a thread where you can ask mods about merging/editing thread titles etc.?

I found it, Moderating decisions discussion. (http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=51632&page=22)

HighBoltageMD
12-11-2009, 01:08 AM
I have to agree with Tom, that thread was definitely gettin ugly. Darn near fugly.

I posted a congrats in it, and was very disappointed at what it turned into.

Good-night all...............Elvis has lef

buddha
02-04-2010, 08:22 PM
It is really annoying.

I have never seen a board that does this so badly.

It pisses off the members and does nothing to generate interest.

My threads have been interesting but they just like to pi$$ on them and merge them and then they just die.

I am not the only one who has this opinion by far.

I think it totally sucks.

ScootMagroot
02-04-2010, 08:30 PM
maybe you should come up with better threads? maybe you should come up with threads that 4 other people havent already started? Stop whining and wait for this one to be deleted too

buddha
02-04-2010, 08:36 PM
maybe you should come up with better threads? maybe you should come up with threads that 4 other people havent already started? Stop whining and wait for this one to be deleted too

You have not even read my threads and you make an assumption?

I think my threads are very good thank you very much.

Before you try to insult me please look in the mirror.

ScootMagroot
02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
You have not even read my threads and you make an assumption?

I think my threads are very good thank you very much.

Before you try to insult me please look in the mirror.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Mods, please feel free to merge this thread with his other thread complaining about merging threads. and while youre at it please delete my responses to this thread since they will be pointless upon merging.

buddha
02-04-2010, 09:07 PM
I have been on many active forum boards and rarely if ever have threads been merged.

I have over 15,000 posts on another forum and none of my threads have ever been merged at all.

This is a very common complaint here and I guess it will continue.

Moderators of other boards usually will edit or delete posts which insult another member or have inappropriate content but never merge a thread.

Much like Coke and Pepsi maybe there needs to be another board with a different and more appealing flavor.

chargertom
02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Part of the moderators responsibilities are to make sure that the flow of the forums is as smooth as possible. Yesterday, there were 5 different threads, all of which said the same thing. It was either "thanks, LT", or "we should keep LT", or "Lt's gotta go".

Seeing as how LT is possibly leaving the team after such a long career here, there are going to be alot of people wanting to express their opinions one way or the other. But that doesn't mean everyone needs to start their own thread, just to say what everyone else is saying in threads already present.

You might feel that your threads need to be stand alone, but if there are multiple threads on the same subject, your thread is probably going to be merged with the others to make room for different subjects on the main page.

If we leave a "redirect", so people can click on the link to your thread and where it was merged to ... then that redirect takes up another line on the main page ... meaning there is one less slot for a different topic or subject. If your thread is merged with another in General Discussions, then most of the time there is no need for a redirect. It's easy to find your post. If your thread gets moved to another subforum ... then usually there will be a redirect left.

Hopefully that explains things a little better to you. But a perfect example is the fact that you needed to start 2 different threads in this forum, and comment in 2 more threads in this forum ... all about the same thing.

buddha
02-05-2010, 03:28 PM
How do you address the fact that this may be the only forum that over moderates and you have constant complaints?

I have been a member of boards with millions of posts and not a single thread has ever been merged and there were no complaints.

I think the board has gotten too big and you are trying to save bandwidth to the detriment of the members here.

I know I am not the only one that dislikes the over moderating here.

Your strategies will continue to make people angry for no good reason at all.

All of the tired explanations just make it worse.

Give it a try for one solid week without merging any threads and see if the world doesn't come to an end.

chargertom
02-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Why is it if your thread gets moved, or your post gets edited ... the boards are over moderated? If you had bothered to use the search function, or just checked a few lines further down the 1st page ... you would have found several places where you could have posted your thought.

I won't try to offer you any more "tired" explanations.

guerro619
02-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Gooooo Charger Tom.... :)

chargerbomb
04-04-2010, 06:32 PM
why is it that threads having to do with the Chargers are moved to Around The Nfl? I happen to like looking at 1 page 'general discussions' to get a snapshot of what people are talking about. 95% of it is Charger related. But the mods screw it all up when they try to weed out that last 5% and end up moving/merging charger-related threads. I don't want to go to another page to see what LT said about the Bolts.

the over-moderation on this board is ridiculous. when it comes to message board moderation, less is more. the mods' intransigence in the face of criticism shows that they just don't get it.

guerro619
04-08-2010, 10:32 AM
why is it that threads having to do with the Chargers are moved to Around The Nfl? I happen to like looking at 1 page 'general discussions' to get a snapshot of what people are talking about. 95% of it is Charger related. But the mods screw it all up when they try to weed out that last 5% and end up moving/merging charger-related threads. I don't want to go to another page to see what LT said about the Bolts.

the over-moderation on this board is ridiculous. when it comes to message board moderation, less is more. the mods' intransigence in the face of criticism shows that they just don't get it.

Well I would respond, but since you're gone, oh well.

guerro619
04-21-2010, 05:31 PM
I had to read back to refresh my memory. The reason your thread got moved was cause it did not pertain to the Chargers. It was about LT. He's no longer a player in the Boltz Organization.

Very simple. I think you can get the idea. ;)

chargertom
04-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Exactly. I got suspended for 2 weeks for daring to question the mods. and of course I never got an explanation; just a big ole 'F U, you're gone' (paraphrasing). does that sound like reasonable moderating to you?

Charger Tom is on a hell of a power trip. I would say more, but he'd probably suspend me for life. I suppose that would make me a martyr against message board tyranny and oppression ;)

This post is a classic example of you blaming everyone but yourself for your troubles. You were given an explanation in the infraction that you were sent before you were banned. Nice try playing the victim though.

You do realize that you could be sent on another vacation for your use of abbreviated profanity, and dropping the F word on the forums, right?

Instead of complaining here, try reading and following the rules. If you did that, you'd probably find that noone is power tripping.

And if you get banned permanently, you won't be a martyr against message board tyranny and oppression ... you'll be just another name on the list of people who refused to follow the rules.

SDMisfit
06-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Can you please (especially during the off-season when traffic is slow) stop merging threads with 'similar' content.

There really is no tangible benefit to the community as a whole to essentially destroy a discussion by mashing multiple posts together.

The flow of each conversation is lost amongst multiple/consecutive replies to different conversations.

It's really an awful read for someone checking out the thread for the first time, and it's frustrating for the members that were corresponding in the individual threads prior to their 'hijacking' if you will...

I understand moderating the content, and even the 'tone' of certain conversations... especially when conflicting opinions create a 'flame war', or contain content that could be considered offensive... but this trend of combining threads left and right seems to be unecessary... at least in the manner in which it is being executed.

Thanks for reading... take care.

Stadium n Oside
06-16-2010, 05:08 PM
haha good luck bud

Prea
06-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Obviously the moderators get bored and decide to throw **** together. It's especially stupid during the offseason when there isn't much going on

weddle4life
06-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Obviously the moderators get bored and decide to throw **** together. It's especially stupid during the offseason when there isn't much going on
yea no kiddin.... the mods think they are sooo cool..

Boltzfan88
06-16-2010, 05:13 PM
I agree its not like there's too many threads now a days either.

SDinDC
06-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I would strongly lean in favor of anything that doesn't reak of censorship or content editing. This is a privately owned forum, but operating with public confidence and a fair bit of public funding. Content moderation is unnecessary and unwelcome. Editing profanity is okay, and even moving a thread from one forum to another is okay, but unnecessarily locking or combining threads or deleting posts is not.

SDBoltLvr
06-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I totally agree. Who really cares if there are threads with similar topics discussed? I hate when the discussion flow is messed up with a merge and the merge to thread ultimately has 652 posts. Same thing with the smack shack. Why does every posting about a division rival have to go in one thread?

Stadium n Oside
06-16-2010, 05:15 PM
no disrespect to the mods in here but the rules in here are ridiculous. no one can speak their mind without getting some sort of infraction

Chrgers1
06-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Do we have any new Mods? I hope they allow us to fanatically talk amongst ourselves, its football for gods sake, we are fans.....we are passionate and sometimes it shows..

I hear most other team websites are dead because of the Mods, lets not have that happen here.

weddle4life
06-16-2010, 05:22 PM
all in favor of banning all the mods say I.... (mods its a joke DONT ban me.) <----- because they would.

Charanna
06-16-2010, 05:32 PM
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/40107/oh%20noes.jpg

See ya, wouldn't want to be ya!! :D

weddle4life
06-16-2010, 05:35 PM
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/40107/oh%20noes.jpg

See ya, wouldn't want to be ya!! :D
are you implying that im getting banned?

Sproles
06-16-2010, 05:37 PM
no disrespect to the mods in here but the rules in here are ridiculous. no one can speak their mind without getting some sort of infraction
I agree even in the off-topic section, the Laker thread tends to get destroyed by the mods every now and then when there's clearly no profanity going on.

FutbolAmericano
06-16-2010, 05:40 PM
http://www.northwestlongboarding.com/nwlb/images/forum/333thread_win.jpg

Caslon
06-16-2010, 05:44 PM
After I saw 2 VJ polls, 4 other regular topics (almost all at once too), I was happy with the mods tidying things up a bit.

Charanna
06-16-2010, 05:45 PM
are you implying that im getting banned?

Nope.... ;)

Blue Bolt
06-16-2010, 05:48 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/Blue-Bolt/Gameday%20pics/MOD-Ban2000-prod.jpg

RIPgriggs
06-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Can you please (especially during the off-season when traffic is slow) stop merging threads with 'similar' content.

There really is no tangible benefit to the community as a whole to essentially destroy a discussion by mashing multiple posts together.

The flow of each conversation is lost amongst multiple/consecutive replies to different conversations.

It's really an awful read for someone checking out the thread for the first time, and it's frustrating for the members that were corresponding in the individual threads prior to their 'hijacking' if you will...

I understand moderating the content, and even the 'tone' of certain conversations... especially when conflicting opinions create a 'flame war', or contain content that could be considered offensive... but this trend of combining threads left and right seems to be unecessary... at least in the manner in which it is being executed.

Thanks for reading... take care.

i kind of agree.

Stone85
06-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Hmmm, I was posting on a thread once and it got deletd, then later I found it wasn't deleted, it just wasn't it's own thread, just part of one.
Now I know it was "merged".

Weddle4L wants to ban the mods when his thing says soon to be MOD.
lol.

kiwibolt
i kind of agree.

Interesting discussion... maybe we should make a poll. ;)

I'll let this run for awhile in GD to get a few more responses and then I'll move it to where it should have been started (Feedback).

Believe it or not, as moderators, we really do take suggestions seriously and frequently have in depth conversations about how to deal with situations that arise.

I know the thread merging is a point of contention for some posters. There is never going to be a clear guideline for when to merge vs when not to merge, but I think all of us mods are open minded about discussing how and when threads should be merged.

SanDiegosOnFire
they do it for organization but it ends up bringing chaos to the threads they merge before killing the conversation completely. its kind of counterproductive but there are definitely some threads that need to be merged.

i know its risky posting a personal opinion about the way things are done on here but thats just my $0.02

Stone85
06-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Kiwi-
Mods dont talk about every decision they make with others mods before they make the decision, right?
Like let's say CTom wanted to remove this post, would he talk with another mod about it before he did?
I don't really like the merging either...usually.

kiwibolt
06-16-2010, 05:59 PM
they do it for organization but it ends up bringing chaos to the threads they merge before killing the conversation completely. its kind of counterproductive but there are definitely some threads that need to be merged.

i know its risky posting a personal opinion about the way things are done on here but thats just my $0.02

That pretty much sums it up.

For instance, once the preseason starts, do we really need 43 new 'LT's performance as a Jet' threads every time he gains a yard, stumbles, scores a TD or an article is written about him? Some will be upset that a 'mega-thread' is created, but what better way is there to handle it?

Unfortunately, ego plays a role in thread starting for some. People think their opinion on a topic is unique enough to deserve it's own thread or they think that if they just post in one of the running threads that they won't get the attention they deserve.

RIPgriggs
06-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Interesting discussion... maybe we should make a poll. ;)

I'll let this run for awhile in GD to get a few more responses and then I'll move it to where it should have been started (Feedback).

Believe it or not, as moderators, we really do take suggestions seriously and frequently have in depth conversations about how to deal with situations that arise.

I know the thread merging is a point of contention for some posters. There is never going to be a clear guideline for when to merge vs when not to merge, but I think all of us mods are open minded about discussing how and when threads should be merged.

some threads need to be merged, other's frankly don't.

sometimes mod's see a thread going the same direction as another, and they merge them.. im not sure if that is the right thing to do, but it is a judgement call. and them being the mods, have the most education/ and experience on where the thread dialouge is going.
its tough to say they are right, its tough to say they are wrong. (the mods)

thanks, i know we are overall lucky to have good mods, other forums have mods that are insane! i have been here many of years and minimal problems. (just when i was flaming champ bailey and everyone was sticking up for him) lol

kiwibolt
06-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Kiwi-
Mods dont talk about every decision they make with others mods before they make the decision, right?
Like let's say CTom wanted to remove this post, would he talk with another mod about it before he did?
I don't really like the merging either...usually.
No- we definitely don't consult each other on daily clean-up stuff, but we do have lengthy discussions about certain topics. Normally it's the borderline, grey areas in the forum rules that some like to exploit that require discussion.

Stone85
06-16-2010, 06:02 PM
No- we definitely don't consult each other on daily clean-up stuff, but we do have lengthy discussions about certain topics. Normally it's the borderline, grey areas in the forum rules that some like to exploit that require discussion.
KThanks.
Nice avi, BTW.

GdoubleE
06-16-2010, 06:10 PM

What are examples that require discussion? Like if someone is being flamed by posters and the name calling thing starts? Who gets the ban the people that started it or the poster that was flamed? That sort of thing?

kiwibolt
06-16-2010, 06:14 PM
What are examples that require discussion? Like if someone is being flamed by posters and the name calling thing starts? Who gets the ban the people that started it or the poster that was flamed? That sort of thing?

Yes, that sort of thing.

Plus stuff like how much skin is acceptable when guys start posting pictures, thoughts about troublesome topics/posters, etc.

ChargerBeast11
06-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Hmmm, I was posting on a thread once and it got deletd, then later I found it wasn't deleted, it just wasn't it's own thread, just part of one.
Now I know it was "merged".

Weddle4L wants to ban the mods when his thing says soon to be MOD.
lol.
Looks like the first thing on his agenda when he finally gets there is banning himself!

Stone85
06-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Looks like the first thing on his agenda when he finally gets there is banning himself!
Haha, :D
Yeah have fun with your Mod Career.

BoltBacker4Life
06-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Yes, that sort of thing.

Plus stuff like how much skin is acceptable when guys start posting pictures, thoughts about troublesome topics/posters, etc.

What about this?

http://www.sunsmartschools.co.nz/be/Editor/image/skin1.gif

Too much skin?

kiwibolt
06-16-2010, 06:19 PM
What about this?

http://www.sunsmartschools.co.nz/be/Editor/image/skin1.gif

Too much skin?

I'm fairly certain that posting pictures of 'erector muscles' is a ban worthy offense. ;)

Charanna
06-16-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm fairly certain that posting pictures of 'erector muscles' is a ban worthy offense. ;)

Oh oops! LOL...

ChargerBeast11
06-16-2010, 06:30 PM
I agree. Plus the cartoon in his avatar is showing it's epidermis. How offensive ;)

chargerbomb
06-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Signed.

the moderating in this place is awful.

How hard is it to keep your grubby mice away from my threads, you silly mods?

We had a nice discussion going about the complexities and ramifications involved in potentially trading VJ and MM. Then the thread got merged with some stupid poll thread, and now it makes no sense.

Nice work there, mods. way to kill a good discussion.

Dago81Sd
06-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Just implement SUBFOLDERS! It's entirely hard, and in a way permanent structure within the existing environment but it would great of the software was modified in which a new folder could be created under the merged thread title. So all the threads would be merged within the post, but there would be subfolders, of different sub posts. That would be awesome.

chargerbomb
06-16-2010, 07:43 PM
forget all that, just stop merging in the offseason. The board is dead except for 1 subject, with multiple angles to it. The silly mods screw everything up when they merge all those separate discussions into 1 giant thread.

Throw Back
06-16-2010, 11:35 PM

I know I couldn't believe it when I noticed one of my posts got deleted. It is like "big brother" is watching.

I am not sure if this more like the George Orwell novel - 1984 or the Nixon wire tapping situation in the Watergate incident. In either case it seems kind of strange that the posts require so much scrutiny and editing.

619-N-702
06-17-2010, 12:04 AM
If more thread starters would take the time to read or even skim through a thread rather then just immediately post something that's already been discussed at length in the 25 threads below his new one, maybe stuff wouldn't need to be merged? Just throwing that out thurrrrrr.

joshie4
06-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Once or twice i've thought a post had been deleted. I was then confused whether i had types something out and not been bothered to press post, posted in a different topic to what i thought or that it was deleted and i didn't really know why. I am certain that one of my posts was edited once lol.

The main problem for merging IMO is that it often feels useless to be posting in a thread which is like 25 pages long because of a merge. You feel like its not going to be seen so you don't bother. Thats how i feel/

Shamrock
06-17-2010, 12:39 AM
I know I couldn't believe it when I noticed one of my posts got deleted. It is like "big brother" is watching.

I am not sure if this more like the George Orwell novel - 1984 or the Nixon wire tapping situation in the Watergate incident. In either case it seems kind of strange that the posts require so much scrutiny and editing.

I do remember deleting one of your posts, but can't recall the exact specifics. Deleted posts still show up for the moderators, so if you recall which thread it was in, I could try to find it and give you the reason why it was deleted.

Sometimes it's not the deleted person's post content, but the quote from another member.

The Chargers want this forum to remain as close to "family friendly" as possible. There are a bunch of "no holds barred" type forums for those who want to curse, fight, talk politics, or say anything and everything that comes to mind.

Throw Back
06-17-2010, 11:43 PM
I do remember deleting one of your posts, but can't recall the exact specifics. Deleted posts still show up for the moderators, so if you recall which thread it was in, I could try to find it and give you the reason why it was deleted.

Sometimes it's not the deleted person's post content, but the quote from another member.

The Chargers want this forum to remain as close to "family friendly" as possible. There are a bunch of "no holds barred" type forums for those who want to curse, fight, talk politics, or say anything and everything that comes to mind.

No worries Shammy. I was just venting. I appreciate your efforts!!

guerro619
06-20-2010, 01:47 AM
forget all that, just stop merging in the offseason. The board is dead except for 1 subject, with multiple angles to it. The silly mods screw everything up when they merge all those separate discussions into 1 giant thread.

There's every that are started on same subject with different that thread is different the but posters tend the the direction the began. who's to honestly?? are.

Do guys really that get merging, cleaning up ??? They busy clean my posts. (Mods, please mess with my :D

guerro619
06-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Once or twice i've thought a post had been deleted. I was then confused whether i had types something out and not been bothered to press post, posted in a different topic to what i thought or that it was deleted and i didn't really know why. I am certain that one of my posts was edited once lol.

The main problem for merging IMO is that it often feels useless to be posting in a thread which is like 25 pages long because of a merge. You feel like its not going to be seen so you don't bother. Thats how i feel/

Ok so you start threads cause you want the attention??? ;)

joshie4
06-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Ok so you start threads cause you want the attention??? ;)

I've started like 10 threads in a year and a half.

All though i am happy when my Beau Knows thread gets more views haha.

Plus your greatest thread was just copied off facebook :p HAHAHA

guerro619
06-20-2010, 10:47 AM
I've started like 10 threads in a year and a half.

All though i am happy when my Beau Knows thread gets more views haha.

Plus your greatest thread was just copied off facebook :p HAHAHA

What you talking about Yoshie???!!! Link???

chargertom
06-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Merged the "why did you merge" thread with the merged, Merging and moving thread.

23skidoo
06-25-2010, 11:49 AM
You are a sick man, there are people that can help you...............

chargertom
06-25-2010, 04:18 PM
You are a sick man, there are people that can help you...............

I don't need help. I can merge stuff by myself just fine.

kiwibolt
06-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't need help. I can merge stuff by myself just fine.

I'm here to lend a helping hand if you need help while you're helping others.

chargertom
06-25-2010, 04:47 PM
If you're helping me help others help themselves, that'll really help to raise the help skills we're helping people with. That should help the other helpers help us to help the rest of the members here, helping themselves to the latest Charger info.

kiwibolt
06-25-2010, 04:52 PM
If you're helping me help others help themselves, that'll really help to raise the help skills we're helping people with. That should help the other helpers help us to help the rest of the members here, helping themselves to the latest Charger info.
Helping helpers helps me feel like I'm helping to make the world a better place.

chargertom
06-25-2010, 04:54 PM
And that helps me help others, while helping myself help me help you, too.

ChargerDiva
06-25-2010, 05:17 PM
And that helps me help others, while helping myself help me help you, too.

Can I help?;)

jackfrost
06-25-2010, 05:20 PM
I don't want to help, why should I ?..... no one cares anymore.

Oh OK...... but I draw the line at this.

YouTube- Help - The Beatles

kiwibolt
06-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Can I help?;)

I'm pretty sure that you won't have any spare time on your hands. Helping Jackfrosting navigate life is going to be a full time charity job. :LightsOut:

jackfrost
06-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Can I help?;)

Ummm ???

I have an idea if your interested ?

Honestly, the slap to the head was plenty, did you really have to lay the boots in as well ?

E SMITTY
06-25-2010, 05:23 PM
I just posted something right now and it already got moved and now i can't find it !!!!

StevenSD
06-25-2010, 05:25 PM
its a free society

In the USA, yes you are right, but on the internet? Nah completely different.

Mods/Admins, do w/e you'd like to make this board load faster and not kill bandwith and space on the server.

chargertom
06-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Jesus I just posted something right now and it already got moved and now i can't find it !!!!

This post? http://forums.chargers.com/showpost.php?p=3086816&postcount=1600 It was merged with one of the dozen or so existing VJ/MM threads.

If you can't find your post, just click on your username, and then click on "Find All Posts By E SMITTY".

Strife9878
09-27-2010, 11:42 AM
First of all, thank you to the moderators for all that you do. Your job can not possibly be easy with all the different opinions of passionate fans especially when emotions are running as high as they do during the season, especially when the blame game is played after a loss. In the off topic section I make a lot of humor intended comments about you and thank you for taking them that way. This is intended as a respectful complaint about the current policy.

I am logging into the forums and have to say there are simply to many threads that IMO are different enough to remain separate being merged.

I understand that two identical topics need to be merged, but putting two separate calls under one "Bad officiating thread" to me makes little since. The sproles fumble, and the Rivers delay of game at the end are different enough and each warrent there own discussion. A merge ends up disrupting the flow of both threads and makes them a lot harder to follow.

Post game, there will be individual plays that stick out, and I think that both discussions are hurt by these merges.

Even discussions that are the same should be thought twice about in some circumstances. Multi paragraph, well thought out post that clearly had some research done, instead of just one sentence almost generic responses, IMO do not deserve to be burred on page 12 of a 30 page thread. When they get that big very few people checking the forum on there break are going to read the whole thing, and instead will read the OP, a few posts on the first page, then skip toward the last few if not one. Granted, very few of my posts fall into this category but it gets frustrating to see the best posts berried under people posting the same repetitive 4 line posts for 5 pages.

So yea... Thank you for reading, and please consider loosening up the merge thread policy, especially for the 48 hours following a game when things are still fresh and people want to have discussions of specific plays, play calls, moments, instead of consolidating threads to the point where the discussion is hindered instead of helped.

chargertom
09-27-2010, 02:08 PM
This is a double edged sword, strife ... and I don't know if there is a definitive answer. If we let everyone who has a thought pop into their head hit the "New Thread" button versus the search button, and post that thought into an existing thread ... then we get people who complain because their thread gets buried on page 4 in 2 1/2 minutes after a game.

If we merge threads that all basically express the same thing, with different words, then we are doing too much merging and we should just let the forums erupt.

It's a hard call to make, and we do the best we can to keep the forums flowing .. keep hot topics on the main page .. and try to keep similar conversations in one place.

The current VJ situation is a perfect example. How many VJ related thread are enough to talk about it? 2? 12? We keep merging new VJ threads with existing ones .. and the new ones just keep coming.

It's the same thing after a loss. Everyone has a "unique" perspective, and their thoughts on the game should be a stand alone thread. Unfortunately, 14 other posters have the same "unique" thoughts, and post almost identical threads.

The officiating thread was merged, because we literally could have 12 different threads about officiating, if someone wanted to start a new thread about every call or non-call in a game.

Like I said ... tough decisions, but we do the best we can. Remember, the posters outnumber the mods about 1000 to 1 on gamedays. :D

longTIMEreader
11-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Why is everything moved from here to some other place? this is " GENERAL DISCUSSIONS"....people come in here , dont see a post a create one. I would think that"general discussions" is just that...

sbboundbolts
11-03-2010, 02:06 PM
General charger discussions

ShowYourBolts
11-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Why is everything moved from here to some other place? this is " GENERAL DISCUSSIONS"....people come in here , dont see a post a create one. I would think that"general discussions" is just that...
General discussions about the Chargers not the league.

There are free agent forums and around the NFL forums, etc. for stuff not Charger related. Maybe you should check out more than the GD forum and you may understand where threads should go.

longTIMEreader
11-03-2010, 02:09 PM
General discussions about the Chargers not the league.

There are free agent forums and around the NFL forums, etc. for stuff not Charger related. Maybe you should check out more than the GD forum and you may understand where threads should go.

i understand where they go...but not all threads are moved, just some. pretty anal

ShowYourBolts
11-03-2010, 02:13 PM
i understand where they go...but not all threads are moved, just some. pretty anal
I love how you're basically complaining that your Moss thread was moved, even though there have been many already created and it didn't belong in GD in the first place. He is not a Charger and he would never will be one under AJ's tenure.

And if you truly did understand where it should go, why didn't you post it there in the first place?

SDynasty
11-03-2010, 02:19 PM
in before the lock

vicsteele
11-03-2010, 02:20 PM
lock a doodle doo

Bolt4Life
11-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Cuz when I want to see things that don't pertain to the Chargers I take 4.28 seconds and click to Around The NFL.

chargertom
11-03-2010, 02:24 PM
If you truly were interested in wanting to know if there were existing Randy Moss threads ... you could have just opened the search function, and typed "Randy Moss" into it. You would have seen there were already threads in both Free Agents, and Around The NFL that were speculating about Moss going to SD.

longTIMEreader
11-03-2010, 02:26 PM
5 moved topics on the board right now....you guys are so on top of it you should work for the CIA...please, relax a little

FutbolAmericano
11-03-2010, 02:26 PM
You can also click 'new posts'.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/FutbolAmericano/new_posts.jpg

chargertom
11-03-2010, 02:27 PM
I moved this thread to "Feedback" since it pertains to how the board is managed.

longTIMEreader
11-03-2010, 02:30 PM
i'm just freaking on all the barney fifeing going on. you would think we were are spies and should be lined up and shot for heavens sake. I do get a pretty good laugh though when these people act like you just robbed a bank, not posted in the wrong area....this should be the motto around here...hands up, you get frisked naked, no posting in the wrong areas and no talking bad about the chargers,

longTIMEreader
11-03-2010, 02:31 PM
I moved this thread to "Feedback" since it pertains to how the board is managed.

I seen that, that is a good place for it. maybe someone that can do something about it will read it some day

chargertom
11-03-2010, 02:32 PM
There wouldn't be "barney fifeing" going on if threads were started in the appropriate areas of the forums.

You create the mess, then complain when someone cleans up after you? What's wrong with that picture?

jackfrost
11-03-2010, 02:34 PM
my point is, that people post the same threads over and over because they are moved. every thread I make is moved. sorry but i dont live on this board and dont have a clue how many post have been made about moss. some of you are just jerks, truth hurts

Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....just slipped in under the time limit no doubt !!

Now....what going on ???

Ohhhhhhh ....thats fair enough then ....let me give you a hint.

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/6370/newthread2hu5zx3xn.gif

longTIMEreader
11-03-2010, 02:34 PM
There wouldn't be "barney fifeing" going on if threads were started in the appropriate areas of the forums.

dont you think it is a bit "harsh" around here? its is always so cold around here

chargertom
11-03-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't think it's "harsh" around here. By your own admission, you didn't bother to check the new posts, or use the search feature before you started a Randy Moss thread in the Chargers GD area. It should have went to Around The NFL, or to the Free Agents subforum.

If you think that it's "cold" or "harsh" that your thread got moved to the appropriate area of the forums, I have no explanation for you. But if you need help learning how to use the search feature, or can't find the "New Posts" link ... I can help you thru the pm system.

X FACTOR
11-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....just slipped in under the time limit no doubt !!

Now....what going on ???

Ohhhhhhh ....thats fair enough then ....let me give you a hint.

hahahaha love the graphic.

jackfrost
11-03-2010, 02:43 PM
i'm just freaking on all the barney fifeing going on. you would think we were are spies and should be lined up and shot for heavens sake. I do get a pretty good laugh though when these people act like you just robbed a bank, not posted in the wrong area....this should be the motto around here...hands up, you get frisked naked, no posting in the wrong areas and no talking bad about the chargers,

Come in RogerRoger, OverUnder !!! ..... yeah, you in place ??

Understood UnderOver, Where's VictorVector with the ClarenceClarence?

Anything on the RadarRoddy ?, ClearClarence, Over&Out !!

longTIMEreader
11-03-2010, 02:45 PM
vector victor and roger and out, clarence clear of roddy radar, over

jackfrost
11-03-2010, 02:46 PM
5 moved topics on the board right now....you guys are so on top of it you should work for the CIA...please, relax a little

Thats Pac/Jack Stud no doubt ....he's just warming up his trigger finger ....just the boy readying himself for the challenge ahead, can't blame him for that !!!

jackfrost
11-03-2010, 02:49 PM
vector victor and roger and out, clarence clear of roddy radar, over

Now your catching on ........ atta boy !!!

Would imagine that the whole state is in shock at the moment after the news of yesterday....

Surfing was a huge part of my life having grown up very close to the beaches back in Australia and although Ive never surfed myself, lived in the ocean for many many years.

I know all of Australia was shocked and had great respect for Andy Irons, condolences to all Hawaiians on his loss.

X47
11-03-2010, 02:51 PM

http://forums.chargers.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

longTIMEreader
11-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Now your catching on ........ atta boy !!!

Would imagine that the whole state is in shock at the moment after the news of yesterday....

Surfing was a huge part of my life having grown up very close to the beaches back in Australia and although Ive never surfed myself, lived in the ocean for many many years.

I know all of Australia was shocked and had great respect for Andy Irons, condolences to all Hawaiians on his loss.

yea...big loss

guerro619
11-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Yeah!!! How dare they move your thread!!! Afterall,

Charger Dave
11-03-2010, 03:36 PM
5 moved topics on the board right now....you guys are so on top of it you should work for the CIA...please, relax a littleLooks to me like it is time for you to take a little break and contemplate the wonders of the world (ego check?) along with the fact that every news item you run across is hardly unique and worth creating a new thread on - much to the disgruntlement of the rest of us. OBTW, even in "guest" status that Search function everybody has been trying to tell you about still works - looks to me like you will have a few days to practice with it.

The easiest way to get the Mods to "lighten up" is to follow the damn forum rules to begin with.

guerro619
11-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Looks to me like it is time for you to take a little break and contemplate the wonders of the world (ego check?) along with the fact that every news item you run across is hardly unique and worth creating a new thread on - much to the disgruntlement of the rest of us. OBTW, even in "guest" status that Search function everybody has been trying to tell you about still works - looks to me like you will have a few days to practice with it.

The easiest way to get the Mods to "lighten up" is to follow the damn forum rules to begin with.

Dave, breaking out with the Truth. :Cheers:

mromberg
09-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Some of these consoldations are making it difficlut to muddle through. Does every topic involving a particular player need to been consoldated into one thread? Just sayin'.

JammerHammer23
09-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Yes. There's no point to make 5 threads about Mathews and have those remain when there is a Ryan Mathews thread already.

ShowYourBolts
09-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Yes. There's no point to make 5 threads about Mathews and have those remain when there is a Ryan Mathews thread already.
Word.

Not sure why it's an issue.

cloudparty
09-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Unless there's some breaking news....

huskyboy
09-06-2011, 01:42 PM
would love frontpage updates... or summary updates upfront... rather than going through latest posts...

GGP
09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
The threads usually marinate for a couple days and then moved. Pretty good system if ask me. Less mess.

dekkerbasser
09-06-2011, 01:56 PM
If you seek the answer, PM Nicki Minaj.

bgmacn2002
09-06-2011, 02:03 PM
If you seek the answer, PM Nicki Minaj.

that pic is crazy! lol

Strife9878
09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Thread merges are one of the biggest complaints around here... I understand the intention but at times 2 threads on the same guy are going 2 different ways and it is annoying to see them shoved together where one of the 2 conversations dies… but such is the way of life on the Chargers forum.

thumper300zx
09-06-2011, 02:48 PM
In before the consolidation.

Charger Dave
09-06-2011, 02:52 PM
In before the consolidation.Yeah, getting a post in here before it gets merged with the hundreds of other complaints about merging threads to try to keep the GD area manageable. <sigh> Same complaints - same stuff - different day. But if they didn't do it we would be complaining (again) about the volume of threads all saying the same thing like late 2004. :rolleyes:

thumper300zx
09-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah, getting a post in here before it gets merged with the hundreds of other complaints about merging threads to try to keep the GD area manageable. <sigh> Same complaints - same stuff - different day. But if they didn't do it we would be complaining (again) about the volume of threads all saying the same thing like late 2004. :rolleyes:

They're all gonna say the same thing [plug in different player name/coach name] until we win a Championship. Then we turn into other fan bases that flash a ring anytime anyone wants to bash us.

LABoltsFan
09-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Funny...

My profile infraction came as a penalty for questioning the "overzealous mods" and their thread consolidation concepts.

i argued that their work stiffled the natural flow of the forum and created only a handful of topics. New methods of looking at an old topic get muddled when they are merged with the existing discussion.

btw - there is an entire discussion related called FEEDBACK buried deep in the main section. - http://forums.chargers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147
There is a discussion already stickied there labeled "Merging and moving, what's the deal?" - http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=47762

By natural selection, old or tired discussions fall off into the "last post: yesterday" category.

I hope the mods choose to keep this in the main forum for at least a few hours. It would be nice to let the masses see it and weigh in before it gets moved.

-

I would also like to say :Cheers:, and :LightsOut: to all the quality posters on this forum. I am quite amazed at high quality words and analysis. The words on forum far exceeds the norm of other NFL forums. (You know who you are...:Beer:)

RIPgriggs
09-06-2011, 03:38 PM
nevermind bo bind

Strife9878
09-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Request:

Can we get the injury update thread closped weekly so the OP can be either the most updated info, or a request for it? I think it would be easier if we did not need to check dates for posts every time we are looking for quick info.

23skidoo
09-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Request:

Can we get the injury update thread closed weekly so the OP can be either the most updated info, or a request for it? I think it would be easier if we did not need to check dates for posts every time we are looking for quick info.

I agree Strife. Or get some kind of consolidation of the weekly injuries.

Also, just so you know, Kiwi was going to ask about the Injury Report page on the main site for us. Every time I've checked it recently it's been blank.

chargertom
09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Right now, there's not much we can do about it. We've had a half dozen threads started, all asking about Gates. Throw in the rest of the dings and dents, and GD will get injury thread heavy in a hurry.

Once Joel gets the weekly injury updates working, we can just post a link to it.

Strife9878
09-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Right now, there's not much we can do about it. We've had a half dozen threads started, all asking about Gates. Throw in the rest of the dings and dents, and GD will get injury thread heavy in a hurry.
Once Joel gets the weekly injury updates working, we can just post a link to it.
I completely understand keeping it in one thread (even if I do not agree). I am simply requesting the thread be closed at teh end of the week nad a new one made so the most relevant info is top page... much easier to find then on page 26 after searching all the dates.
But yes the injury report would help a lot.

DefenseWins
09-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I completely understand keeping it in one thread (even if I do not agree). I am simply requesting the thread be closed at teh end of the week nad a new one made so the most relevant info is top page... much easier to find then on page 26 after searching all the dates.
But yes the injury report would help a lot.

Are you volunteering to compile an accurate list of current players and their injuries the day after the game? If so, then we could accomplish what you're asking.

Otherwise - we'll have to wait until we have access to the official injury reports put out on Wednesdays. Then it can be used as the starting point.

Without one or the other, it's pretty hopeless trying to find or create a clean break point that is accurate.

Strife9878
09-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Are you volunteering to compile an accurate list of current players and their injuries the day after the game? If so, then we could accomplish what you're asking.
Otherwise - we'll have to wait until we have access to the official injury reports put out on Wednesdays. Then it can be used as the starting point.

Without one or the other, it's pretty hopeless trying to find or create a clean break point that is accurate.
I cannot promise accuracy but I can read up on Acee's reports and a few other sources and make do with what we have. Obviously we can't expect everything to be accurate... even the official injury report.
All I am asking is that an up to date thread with what we know is not merged into page 98 of one that was started weeks ago.

I will try to make the tread at some point after the dolphins game if you would be ok with that.

kiwibolt
09-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I cannot promise accuracy but I can read up on Acee's reports and a few other sources and make do with what we have. Obviously we can't expect everything to be accurate... even the official injury report.
All I am asking is that an up to date thread with what we know is not merged into page 98 of one that was started weeks ago.

I will try to make the tread at some point after the dolphins game if you would be ok with that.
I could see making a 'Week 4 Injury Update' thread and then posting the injury updates and discussions about injuries into that thread each week. Then at the end of the week, just close the thread and open a new one for Week 5, Week 6, etc.

It would be easy for us to then just merge the previous week's closed thread into the mega-thread on injuries.

Sound like a plan?

Strife9878
09-28-2011, 02:31 PM
I could see making a 'Week 4 Injury Update' thread and then posting the injury updates and discussions about injuries into that thread each week. Then at the end of the week, just close the thread and open a new one for Week 5, Week 6, etc.

It would be easy for us to then just merge the previous week's closed thread into the mega-thread on injuries.

Sound like a plan?

That is a plan I really appreciate! Thank you!

guerro619
09-28-2011, 10:55 PM

Sound like a plan?

Kiwi with the answer!!! :Cheers:

DefenseWins
09-28-2011, 11:18 PM
I went ahead and start the first one with the info from the UT...

johnroxx
10-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Why can't we, the fans, even be allowed to express VALID opinions here on this board? Seriously...I realize this site is owned and operated by the Chargers organization, but this is ridiculous, especially after the emotional upheaval this game put us all through.

;^).

chargerbomb
10-31-2011, 10:40 PM
The moderating on this board is horrible. Every time someone posts a new thread that even alludes to Norv's coaching, it gets merged with the 800+ page "Norv/AJ" omnibus thread that no one in their right mind can read or sort through. If the thread is overly critical of Norv, it just gets deleted.

Is this the kind of moderating that we should expect on this forum? It's blatant censorship. This board blows, and it's because of the mods.

marion butts
10-31-2011, 10:41 PM
they are in merge mode i believe.

Chargerholic
10-31-2011, 10:41 PM
I posted a thread 2 times right now both got deleted wow

fireknuckles
10-31-2011, 10:42 PM
because your threads belong in other threads...that's how a forum with moderators works.

this one should also be merged with the moderating discussions thread.

X FACTOR
11-02-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm sensing a need for some decent cheeses to go with this whine.
All shall be good than.

ShocKWavE
11-27-2011, 08:08 PM
This is a breaking point. Enough is enough.

nmboltsfan
11-27-2011, 08:16 PM
12 threads on the same subject isn't enough? :confused:

12 variations of "Fire Norv" all mean the same thing, don't they? Isn't the point of a thread to discuss a general subject, not thousands of specific ones on the same general subject?

:rolleyes:

Rivers4MVP
11-27-2011, 08:17 PM
The point of the forums is to show the voice of the people...sounds corny, but it is.

ElectroAsada
11-27-2011, 08:18 PM
The point of the forums is to show the voice of the people...sounds corny, but it is.
This.

Does it really hurt that much leaving the threads as is?

goochalba
If it takes the forums to be flooded to get management to see how the fans feel then so be it! Seems like trying to minimize the appearance of the outrage and anger to me

Rivers4MVP
This.

I understand the mods don't want a lot of junk in the forums, but on days like these, they should just let us fans go at it and vent

Asimov
11-27-2011, 08:21 PM
In before merge :D

nmboltsfan
This.

Again I'll interject: why should there be 12 threads on the same subject?

Someone is desperate for attention if they think their "Fire Norv" thread is saying anything different than the main one.

I don't see what's so hard about contributing to an ONGOING conversation.
If it takes the forums to be flooded to get management to see how the fans feel then so be it! Seems like trying to minimize the appearance of the outrage and anger to me

LOL, you think the management reads these forums?

AFBoltFan

This in a nutshell... The anger management posts are better to flip through than some of the cornball homer threads they leave as is...

batgeek
11-27-2011, 08:22 PM
doesn't accomplish anything to to fix the problem.

and to make sure it gets in here somewhere...you(in general) do not have 1st Amendment rights on a privately owned message board. so don't bring it up.

SPOOKSTER SD
11-27-2011, 08:25 PM

Indeed. I agree 100%. If the site administrators and forum moderators want to allow only positive feedback and happy-hopeful opium-like induced rants....then they should just start a blog and shut the forums down.

People are going to be pissed off right now. So if there's going to be a hundred threads about how pissed off they are...then so be it. It is a REAL reflection of what the fan base is feeling.

Chargersrmylife
11-27-2011, 08:25 PM
I understand the mods don't want a lot of junk in the forums, but on days like these, they should just let us fans go at it and vent

Can u make me an avatar with an X over Norvs face please?

SPOOKSTER SD
11-27-2011, 08:26 PM

No joke but, you'd probably get banned here for that.

Munsonite
I've only posted on here a few times but have been coming here for years. The mods on this site r becoming ridiculous. People r frustrated and fed up with this team and a lot of us come here for release. To vent our frustration and disappointment with like minded people. Not to be reminded of the forum rules and have the threads locked or moved. If I wanna read about Mathews having a big day I don't wanna sift thru 90 pages of rm related topics to find what I'm looking for. Everything on here is merged with something else and it makes the cmb feel stale and hard to navigate. Everythings buried in some tread somewhere and u have to go hunting just to find something. Stop censoring and shutting the fans down and let us TALK!!!

Rivers4MVP

oh how tempted I am to do so :p

DefenseWins
11-27-2011, 08:31 PM
What's truly funny is that there hasn't been a single merge since the game started...

... as far as "letting fans speak" - merging when it does happen doesn't stop you from speaking.

DefenseWins
11-27-2011, 08:34 PM
No joke but, you'd probably get banned here for that.
For a simple "circle/line" - nope...

... for a derogatory rendition, first offense a warning.

... for something vulgar - you betcha.

Pictures are no different than words - follow the same guidelines as with posts.

Chargersrmylife
11-27-2011, 08:42 PM
oh how tempted I am to do so :p

Lol are you going to make me one? I see u made one for yourself lol

Munsonite
11-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Ya but how many threads have been locked down?

guerro619
11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Indeed. I agree 100%. If the site administrators and forum moderators want to allow only positive feedback and happy-hopeful opium-like induced rants....then they should just start a blog and shut the forums down.

People are going to be pissed off right now. So if there's going to be a hundred threads about how pissed off they are...then so be it. It is a REAL reflection of what the fan base is feeling.

True, but how many threads will there be. Within a matter of minutes, your thread will be sent to the 2nd and 3rd page cause many will start threads. Then hardly no one will see what your thread is about. There will be many complaints to the Mods about that. You understand........

Not to mention, because of fans emotions, they'll be breaking the rules and cursing, and bad mouthing. If you notice, many of the biggest complainers are from guys that haven't been here in years, and all of a sudden post like crazy. Where were they before???

Strife9878
01-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Question sorry if it does not belong here... merge or move as needed as ironic as it sounds with this thread title.
I am wanting to see AJ Smiths work vs all other teams... and do not think I have the time to get it on my own and was thinking about asking the rest of this forum to help.

IS there any way I can get this information without it being merged into the current wasteland that is the Dean AJ Norv thread? Anyway we could keep people who want to complain about a few picks instead of helping get this big picture of all drafts so we can compare his success failure rates, and the other GM Changes that have happened in same time period?

chargertom
01-02-2012, 09:17 PM
If you're going to compare his work to every other GM, then just start a thread in Around The NFL. If the boo birds show up, I'll shoo them away.

Strife9878
01-02-2012, 09:20 PM
If you're going to compare his work to every other GM, then just start a thread in Around The NFL. If the boo birds show up, I'll shoo them away.

Does this include asking for help in getting all the information together to make these comparisons?

chargertom
01-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Sure. Open the thread up for anyone to contribute information. I'll try and keep the "AJ sucks" stuff out of the thread.

LABoltsFan
01-18-2012, 11:58 AM
again, for the millionth time,
you mods need to exercise much better discression in merging or moving threads,...

how about you not merge threads for a week and see what happens...

i see no logic in your methods and no real purpose other than it seems like you are all bored and want something to do... or you all have too many self control issues and want to inflict some sort of control over us.

j

i am quite sure i will be banned again for my words.
the last 2 were quite silly and really wreaked of absolute power corruption.

pacstud
01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
again, for the millionth time,
you mods need to exercise much better discression in merging or moving threads,...

how about you not merge threads for a week and see what happens...

i see no logic in your methods and no real purpose other than it seems like you are all bored and want something to do... or you all have too many self control issues and want to inflict some sort of control over us.

j

i am quite sure i will be banned again for my words.
the last 2 were quite silly and really wreaked of absolute power corruption.

Not showing any merges...old complaint just now being posted?

:confused:

LABoltsFan
02-15-2012, 10:10 PM
if the mods are going to merge threads... maybe they should start a new thread.

the original premise of merging AJ threads has lost it's meaning.

it's sad that some valid points are being watered down when they are merged into a meaningless "composo-thread" that many stopped reading about 2000 posts ago.

it's almost as if the mods are assuming that we can't have original (or new) ideas.

DefenseWins
02-15-2012, 10:16 PM
if the mods are going to merge threads... maybe they should start a new thread.

the original premise of merging AJ threads has lost it's meaning.

it's sad that some valid points are being watered down when they are merged into a meaningless "composo-thread" that many stopped reading about 2000 posts ago.

it's almost as if the mods are assuming that we can't have original (or new) ideas.
Your idea - and the quote from Dean - has been posted in half a dozen threads on various topics on the forum already... nothing original about it :)

RRizGod
03-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Its next to impossible to follow a conversation on this message board due the admins constantly combining threads.

At times there is hardly any traffic on this forum and the admins feel the need to mess with the flow.

I'm sure this message will last 3 minutes before its either locked or deleted.

Asimov
03-14-2012, 10:05 AM
In before combining.

Chargerfreak
03-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Mods please merge.

KillerSproles
03-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Agree with this. No more 1000 page combo threads.

SDFeather
03-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Merge in 3.....2.......1......wait for it.....

RRizGod
03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
or move to a totally useless forum.

talk about over moderation.

yesterday i post in a thread less than a page long, i go back to look today and now its combined with some other thread and is 7 pages.

it totally destroys the previous conversation.

RMANCIL
03-14-2012, 11:54 AM

yesterday i post in a thread less than a page long, i go back to look today and now its combined with some other thread and is 7 pages.

Where else should this thread go?

chargertom
03-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Maybe you should be talking to the people who have to start new threads, even tho there is already one just like it already there to post in.

A Megatron thread in GD? Really? Guess that should have stayed there, too, right?

Everyone wants their name up in lights, on the top of page one. If you could talk people into posting in existing threads, instead of starting new ones, then it would sure help us out. :Cheers:

RRizGod
03-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Maybe you should be talking to the people who have to start new threads, even tho there is already one just like it already there to post in.

A Megatron thread in GD? Really? Guess that should have stayed there, too, right?

Everyone wants their name up in lights, on the top of page one. If you could talk people into posting in existing threads, instead of starting new ones, then it would sure help us out. :Cheers:

who cares if people start new threads. Honestly. Its a message board.

chargertom
03-14-2012, 02:08 PM
who cares if people start new threads. Honestly. Its a message board.

We care.

From our forum rules:

Thread Guidelines:

When you start a new thread, please think about which area the thread you are about to start actually belongs in. It seems most people tend to place threads in the General Discussions (GD) forum. However, with a forum this large we may find it necessary to move the thread to another sub-forum to help keep the GD from getting overly cluttered. If this is done we will leave a link to the new location. It will be our sole discretion if we choose to move a thread. Remember that every thread added will force another thread off of page one and they tend to be forgotten after they leave page one.

One of the goals of moderators is to prevent the board from being cluttered by repetitive threads. If you create a thread on a topic that is already being discussed in another current thread, it is likely your thread will be merged with the older thread. This may create the appearance your thread was deleted. Unfortunately, vBulletin does not provide a way to automatically link you to where your thread was merged. If your thread has vanished and was not in violation of forum rules, look for a longer thread with the same subject matter. It's likely you'll find your posts there. You can also locate it by clicking on the post in your own file of posts by clicking on your name and clicking on "Find all posts".

Dago81Sd
03-14-2012, 02:20 PM
This is a full time job guys! Respect it!

X FACTOR
03-14-2012, 02:25 PM
We care.

From our forum rules:

Thread Guidelines:

When you start a new thread, please think about which area the thread you are about to start actually belongs in. It seems most people tend to place threads in the General Discussions (GD) forum. However, with a forum this large we may find it necessary to move the thread to another sub-forum to help keep the GD from getting overly cluttered. If this is done we will leave a link to the new location. It will be our sole discretion if we choose to move a thread. Remember that every thread added will force another thread off of page one and they tend to be forgotten after they leave page one.

One of the goals of moderators is to prevent the board from being cluttered by repetitive threads. If you create a thread on a topic that is already being discussed in another current thread, it is likely your thread will be merged with the older thread. This may create the appearance your thread was deleted. Unfortunately, vBulletin does not provide a way to automatically link you to where your thread was merged. If your thread has vanished and was not in violation of forum rules, look for a longer thread with the same subject matter. It's likely you'll find your posts there. You can also locate it by clicking on the post in your own file of posts by clicking on your name and clicking on "Find all posts".
I'm considering starting a new thread in GD about all of this and peoples continuing concerns on this matter.
I do expect it not to be moved, merged, deleted , or tampered with in any way , shape, or form BTW.....
;)

RRizGod
03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
We care.

From our forum rules:

Thread Guidelines:

This is not about terms of agreements. The chargers can obviously make up whatever rules they want. Its about making the forums an enjoyable experience.

You're obviously missing the point.

I've never seen such over moderation on message boards before.

By mixing and combing threads you are stiffling the forums.

chargertom
03-14-2012, 08:54 PM
http://forums.chargers.com/showpost.php?p=1839300&postcount=23

LABoltsFan
04-12-2012, 11:42 PM
why is there an aversion to a discussion in the main forum about the draft?

instead, you'd rather let the main forum stagnate?

more poor decision making by the quite over-eager moderators.

it would seem that the moderators assume that some of the thread starters were incapable of making decisions on their own.

It seems my work is a waste of time....
-

Power is not a means, it is an end. - George Orwell (1984)

pacstud
04-12-2012, 11:55 PM
why is there an aversion to a discussion in the main forum about the draft?

instead, you'd rather let the main forum stagnate?

more poor decision making by the quite over-eager moderators.

it would seem that the moderators assume that some of the thread starters were incapable of making decisions on their own.

It seems my work is a waste of time....
-

Power is not a means, it is an end. - George Orwell (1984)

I figured this site was pretty cool by having an entire forum designed for the draft. That way we can sort everything based on interest. I suggest using the "NEW POSTS" link at the top of every page. That way you don't have to worry about sub-forums, you can just check out what's going on throughout the whole board.

The Orwellian reference is nice, but a bit of a stretch for a private football message board, eh? Besides, all posters are equal, but some are more equal than others ;)

LABoltsFan
04-13-2012, 12:00 AM
I figured this site was pretty cool by having an entire forum designed for the draft. That way we can sort everything based on interest. I suggest using the "NEW POSTS" link at the top of every page. That way you don't have to worry about sub-forums, you can just check out what's going on throughout the whole board.

The Orwellian reference is nice, but a bit of a stretch for a private football message board, eh? Besides, all posters are equal, but some are more equal than others ;)
too bad i didnt get a vote on which of use get to be "more equal than others"....

i like how your reply starts with "i figured"...

maybe "i figured" that most people who come to this forum never get to the draft talk section, and that "i figured" most people who come here for information would like an update on the current status. "i figured" that since the draft is the center point of the NFL world for the next 2 weeks that it would be worthy of the main discussion board. "I figured" that a global discussion on the draft would be worthy of a larger audience than the divided method you chose.

i guess "i figured" wrong.

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty. - Plato

pacstud
04-13-2012, 07:22 AM
too bad i didnt get a vote on which of use get to be "more equal than others"....

i like how your reply starts with "i figured"...

maybe "i figured" that most people who come to this forum never get to the draft talk section, and that "i figured" most people who come here for information would like an update on the current status. "i figured" that since the draft is the center point of the NFL world for the next 2 weeks that it would be worthy of the main discussion board. "I figured" that a global discussion on the draft would be worthy of a larger audience than the divided method you chose.

i guess "i figured" wrong.

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty. - Plato

Unfortunately, you did figure wrong. This website has designed multiple forums for a very good reason. It has also supplied the "NEW POSTS" link between "CALENDAR" and "SEARCH" on the top menu bar. I am very sorry that we are not able to provide you with the platform you personally desire, but as always we appreciate your input. The DRAFT TALK forum you are advocating is one of my favorites, and I hope it continues to be the center of attention for the next few weeks, as I'm sure it will be.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again."
-Alexander Pope

showbe
11-27-2012, 09:12 PM
This is a full time job guys! Respect it!

More like they have no life. Glad something will eventually be done about this crap. Infracting people for some of the dumbest reasons. Mods go on a power trip and dont even let people have a decent conversation without them messing it up or infracting people for the most dumb reasons.

Things you would see elementary kids say you would get infracted. Get real. These forums have quickly gone down hill because of them. Never seen some people so desperate to use there moderation powers on a forum.

chargertom
11-27-2012, 09:50 PM
More like they have no life. Glad something will eventually be done about this crap. Infracting people for some of the dumbest reasons. Mods go on a power trip and dont even let people have a decent conversation without them messing it up or infracting people for the most dumb reasons.

Things you would see elementary kids say you would get infracted. Get real. These forums have quickly gone down hill because of them. Never seen some people so desperate to use there moderation powers on a forum.

The forum rules are clearly defined, in print, and have been in place since 2004. Did you know the insults you just posted are against the rules?

YOU agreed to follow those rules, and the code of conduct when you created your account. This isn't an elementary school playground, and you're not an elementary kid who doesn't know any better.

There are hundreds of mud pits on the internet where you can go, and you don't have to be bothered by those pesky rules.

But to agree to follow them, and then complain when you get an infraction for violating them, is ludicrous.

It's a simple formula. Read the rules + follow the rules = no infractions.

Totally Bolted
11-27-2012, 09:51 PM

The forum was set up the Chargers. They specifically wanted it to be family friendly and set the rules for the forum. The same ones you agreed to follow when it got set up. It's really very simple, follow the rules or pay the consequences. Now I'm going to assume you can find better ways to express yourself then resulting to verbal diarrhea or elementary play ground name calling.

chargertom
11-27-2012, 10:03 PM

This is truly incredible, considering the fact that you've had ONE infraction in three years time.

Those dern mean old, no life having mods. :mad:

pacstud
11-28-2012, 08:11 AM

I feel like Unicron!

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101127194156/poohadventures/images/a/a4/Unicron.jpg

Dan40
04-28-2013, 03:48 AM
I'm not sure why the Smack Shack looks the way it does.

Are all Raiders threads merged into one thread? And other teams too?

Was it a response to rulebreakers and headaches?

The way the forum looks now, all the fun has been taken out of it. JMHO.

guerro619
04-28-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure why the Smack Shack looks the way it does.

Are all Raiders threads merged into one thread? And other teams too?

The way the forum looks now, all the fun has been taken out of it. JMHO.

I agree, Dan. Long time no see. Most of the opposing teams fans don't show up anymore. They come in, break the rules, and they're gone. It's not the same. But Vengeance, and a couple Raider fans, and Denver fans show up once ina while.

chargertom
04-28-2013, 09:49 PM

Precisely.

Guys register, and with their first post they go to the Smack Shack and post a profanity filled rant. Then they never post again. Or start a thread to say "Da sparklers suck!!11"

It's just easier to manage, divided up by teams. And outside the division, by conference.

We keep a pretty tight lid on it, and it seems a lot people would rather swear, rant, insult and name call than post up real smack. The good ones are around during the season, tho.

Shamrock
04-28-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't give a crap about the Smack Shack.

Except for Patriots fans. I ban them for being Patriots fans. They all know that. They kiss my feet.

Dan40
04-29-2013, 02:31 PM
OK. Thanks, mods!

Dan40
05-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Yeah, my "Stop making me hate you less Raiders" thread was moved into the big Raiders thread after all.

Sigh.

You guys are the mods, and that's your decision now, but I wanted to make that a recurring theme. I was going to post about Chris Kluwe. Oh well...

showbe
06-15-2013, 02:24 AM
This forums seriously has too many dumb rules. I find my self viewing/posting a lot less now considerng how GOOD discussions always get messed up by mods who decide to combine it into one big thread where it gets all messed up/lost. If people wanna discuss a book or instagram photos they should be allowed to. People swear like it will do any damage or hurt the forums.

No other forum on the internet does this and its probably a first where a group of members would even go as far to make a petition in secret to change it. This forum could be so much more popular/busier if such things didnt happen. Look at other NFL teams there forums are sprawling with activity because they let it run like how a message board is suppose to. You cant have 1 discussion on a topic without it being combined into a big thread which makes it impossible to have a discussion about.

Bolt4Life
06-15-2013, 11:37 AM
This forums seriously has too many dumb rules. I find my self viewing/posting a lot less now considerng how GOOD discussions always get messed up by mods who decide to combine it into one big thread where it gets all messed up/lost. If people wanna discuss a book or instagram photos they should be allowed to. People swear like it will do any damage or hurt the forums.

No other forum on the internet does this and its probably a first where a group of members would even go as far to make a petition in secret to change it. This forum could be so much more popular/busier if such things didnt happen. Look at other NFL teams there forums are sprawling with activity because they let it run like how a message board is suppose to. You cant have 1 discussion on a topic without it being combined into a big thread which makes it impossible to have a discussion about.

I agree sometimes the merges are lame. Like this one into a thread where the first post isn't a review of the book, it's where someone is asking if we can talk about it. People will skim over it and miss my recommendation because they see the first post. But when there are 30 threads about how Norv needs to be fired, they need to be merged.

It's hard to change much in here, there is a feedback forum I think but really it's a very homer based forum and deletions/merges happen accordingly.

When I heard he had done a book a while back I was surprised as it seems a bit early for him, but I suppose he wants to cash in while he is quite famous and people are likely to be more interested.

If deletions/merges happen accordingly to be homers, you wouldn't see the debacle that this forum was the last couple seasons. 70-80% negativity.

Da_Cha-gers
06-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Way to burry a good thread into one where the op is, "Can we talk about the book now."

I don't see much of a difference between "can we talk about it" and "I don't know if this will get deleted because" :confused:

That poster went on to say in another post:
I got the book two weeks ago, read it right away, and it was very enjoyable. It maintains an excellent balance between his personal life and public life. It starts at his birth and takes you right up to present day with stories about his childhood life in sports, his college days, the romance with the girl/woman who would become his wife, his entry into the Mormon religion, and of course....Chargers life. Check it out....there were excerpts from it posted on deseretnews.com last week.

Both of you are talking about the same subject, Eric Weddle's book, I don't understand the complaining about merging threads with the same subject matter. Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but, there often times are duplicate threads created and it's not a bad thing IMO to merge to keep the board a bit cleaner and easier vs. out of control duplicate threads which can make one's head spin.

You've been around for quite a long time, things may not be run the way we'd like sometimes, however, from what I understand, there are only 18 NFL teams that actually have their own message boards, which means 14 teams don't. I know the Saints shut down their board because it became too difficult to control and was too much of a hassle etc.

Each NFL teams fans have a variety of message boards to choose from, however, with each may come pro's/con's .... IMO we should be respectful of the rules as guests here and be grateful the Chargers aren't one of the 14 teams that don't have a msg board.

Hopefully this thread goes back on topic about Eric Weddles book and doesn't meander too much more in the complaint dept .... that gets old IMO.

Hope we all have a good day as fellow Charger fans ;) . :Cheers:

Go Chargers! :logo

Bolt4Life
06-15-2013, 12:58 PM
I don't see much of a difference between "can we talk about it" and "I don't know if this will get deleted because" :confused:

That poster went on to say in another post:
I got the book two weeks ago, read it right away, and it was very enjoyable. It maintains an excellent balance between his personal life and public life. It starts at his birth and takes you right up to present day with stories about his childhood life in sports, his college days, the romance with the girl/woman who would become his wife, his entry into the Mormon religion, and of course....Chargers life. Check it out....there were excerpts from it posted on deseretnews.com last week.

Both of you are talking about the same subject, Eric Weddle's book, I don't understand the complaining about merging threads with the same subject matter. Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but, there often times are duplicate threads created and it's not a bad thing IMO to merge to keep the board a bit cleaner and easier vs. out of control duplicate threads which can make one's head spin.

You've been around for quite a long time, things may not be run the way we'd like sometimes, however, from what I understand, there are only 18 NFL teams that actually have their own message boards, which means 14 teams don't. I know the Saints shut down their board because it became too difficult to control and was too much of a hassle etc.

Each NFL teams fans have a variety of message boards to choose from, however, with each may come pro's/con's .... IMO we should be respectful of the rules as guests here and be grateful the Chargers aren't one of the 14 teams that don't have a msg board.

Hopefully this thread goes back on topic about Eric Weddles book and doesn't meander too much more in the complaint dept .... that gets old IMO.

Hope we all have a good day as fellow Charger fans ;) . :Cheers:

There, deleted it for you.

On my OP I went on within the same post to explain the book.

I know for a fact that most people I ask say they look at the first post of a new thread to see if it's worth it.

If a thread about a Weddle book has the first post just asking a dimple question, good luck getting as much traffic as you would otherwise. I know the mods won't agree, because I've seen them not agree before. But I actually ask people these weird questions.

Whatever though. Slow offseason. Almost the real season now.

YAY!

Da_Cha-gers
06-15-2013, 02:09 PM
There, deleted it for you.

On my OP I went on within the same post to explain the book.

I know for a fact that most people I ask say they look at the first post of a new thread to see if it's worth it.

If a thread about a Weddle book has the first post just asking a simple question, good luck getting as much traffic as you would otherwise. I know the mods won't agree, because I've seen them not agree before. But I actually ask people these weird questions.

Whatever though. Slow offseason. Almost the real season now.

YAY!

You didn't have to do anything, but you did - thanks!

Maybe there's truth to the 1st post thing, I don't know, but I'd also guess, some posters, such as yourself, can turn a so-so thread into a more interesting, readable one.

IMO posters drive the threads, if there's not interest/participation, the thread will drop like a rock, if there's interest/participation - it'll hang around .... just ask Norv :D

Can't wait for TC ..... but since there's some time till TC gets here, folks can check out Eric Weddle's book ;)

Thanks for your response and original post about the book .... and have a good weekend.

chargertom
06-15-2013, 04:39 PM
This forums seriously has too many dumb rules.

You agreed to follow those "dumb" rules when you created your account.

You can complain about the moderators to your hearts content, but the moderators didn't make the rules. The mods volunteered to enforce them.

There is even a mention in those rules that (paraphrased) says "these rules are more strict than most other sites."

Yet you agree to follow them, then complain about them every chance you get. So which is it? Do you accept them and agree to follow them, or not?

There are hundreds of Charger fan sites to choose from. No one is holding you hostage, or preventing you from posting on a forum with looser rules. But some people like to discuss things on a site where they know they're not going to be insulted, called names, cursed at, their family ridiculed, or be subjected to all the other behaviors that are prevalent due to the anonymity of the internet.

Here, people get held accountable for those types of behaviors and posts.

I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with this merge, because both posters started threads about the same topic. Weddle's book.

B4L, if you had read past the first post, then you would have seen that the OP also gave a review of the book. But, he wanted clarification whether or not is was okay to discuss Weddle's book before he gave that review.

It's been my experience that sometimes you have to read past the OP to get to the meat of the thread. In this instance, that holds true.

Glad you guys were able to work things out on your own. Thanks for that.

Chargerfreak
06-15-2013, 04:48 PM
In before the merge.

chargertom
06-15-2013, 04:49 PM
In before the merge.

:LightsOut::LightsOut: