PDA

View Full Version : Can someone sum up the '08 Padres in one paragraph 4 me???

LA Chargers '07
03-25-2008, 12:26 PM
i'm not a very passionate baseball fan but i do support our Padres. So i was wondering how good are the Pads projected to be this year???? I know we got Randy Wolfe who did well out here in LA last year. But what about our hitters??? Didnt we lose Mike Cameron?? Did we pickup anyone that can actually hit the ball this year??? Is our pitching staff still good?? How good are we compared to the other teams in our division. (Dodgers??)

Just wondering since baseball is about to start and i dont pay much attention to offseason moves.....

JCDavey
03-25-2008, 12:52 PM
more than likely great pitching, more than likely crap hitting (both of these amplified due to petco's dimensions.
oh and as always, cheap-ass ownership compared to the top spending teams.

everywhere i've searched, we're projected to finish 3rd or 4th, and i agree, the rockies dbags and crappy dodgers look better on paper, and in the diodgers case they finally have another great manager

leftyinthepen
03-25-2008, 01:05 PM
you can count on the starting pitching for the padres to keep them in almost all of their games. not sure exactly where they are going to score runs to give that staff a break. the bullpen is not exactly up to par with what they have had the past couple of years, but still better than most. only the giants in the division are guaranteed their spot, and that is last. the other four teams all have a legit shot at winning the division. I think 3rd is realistic, but with a few breaks, and a hot hitter consistently all year could propel them back to the post season. 1. AZ, 2. LA, 3. SD, 4. CO, 5. SF

it would be nice to see prior become dependable....that would make things easier for the pitching staff....i would hate to see them wear down trying to win every game 2-1, which they just may have to do.....

Bolt Cola
03-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Our Starting Pitching will be even better than last year, Jake Peavy will be great again, Chris Young, and Maddux, with Wolf and Germano most likely until Prior is ready to go in a few months. Our Bullpen is still one of the best in baseball no matter what Dodger fans will try to tell you. Adrian, Khalil, and Kouz are all 30 HR threats in my eyes. We have improved our 2 weakest positions from last years team, LF and 2B, Hairston or Gerut is a step up from Cruz or Sledge, and Iguchi is 2 steps up from Marcus Giles. Health is gonna be a big question, but it is for every team every season. We lack speed, but with our park we can make it up with hitting the gaps and smart baserunning. We missed the postseason by one pitch last year, I see us finishing 2nd behind the Dbacks and winning the wild card. Rockies had a magical run at the right time last year but will fall back to reality, Giants are a joke. Dodgers got Torre but he wont be able to find the fountain of youth for ailing veterans like Kent, and Garciaparra

Charger Dodger
03-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Randy Wolf did well in LA last year? Bahahahahaha!!! I'm glad we got rid of that guy to you guys. He's a bum. Last time he had a great season was in Phillies, and I don't even consider what he did over there great. He's a lifetime 4.26 pitcher who gives up hits and homeruns as if it was a trend. Good luck with that bum.

RandomTask
03-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Padres have GREAT pitching and they pitch in a ballpark where that's a strength. Can they score enough runs? I think this will be a dogfight for the NL West division and will be the last one decided in MLB. I think you can make an argument for all the teams winning it. Sure hope it's the Pads!

SuperMatt
03-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Randy Wolf did well in LA last year? Bahahahahaha!!! I'm glad we got rid of that guy to you guys. He's a bum. Last time he had a great season was in Phillies, and I don't even consider what he did over there great. He's a lifetime 4.26 pitcher who gives up hits and homeruns as if it was a trend. Good luck with that bum.

4.26 for a 4th starter is not too shabby, especially if he's a gopher baller and pitching half his starts at PETCO, where homeruns go to die. He'll be a nice addition to the staff as a back-end starter for a pitching-heavy team.

gatorade#21
03-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Pitching- A
Hitting- B-
Overall- B+

leftyinthepen
03-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Pitching- A
Hitting- B-
Overall- B+

wow, a B- for the offense? i think it's a bit high....probably a C or C+ at best.....of course, if khalil and adrian start the season hot, and headly works through his LF skills and comes to the big club by memorial day, this offense could take off

SuperMatt
03-27-2008, 10:48 AM
wow, a B- for the offense? i think it's a bit high....probably a C or C+ at best.....of course, if khalil and adrian start the season hot, and headly works through his LF skills and comes to the big club by memorial day, this offense could take off

I concur.

The Padres have some potential in their bats, but they're definitely going to need to get a few breaks here or there, at least on the offensive side.

Lucid
03-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Ten years ago / In 1998, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the San Diego underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The Padres!

Bolt Cola
09-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Our Starting Pitching will be even better than last year, Jake Peavy will be great again, Chris Young, and Maddux, with Wolf and Germano most likely until Prior is ready to go in a few months. Our Bullpen is still one of the best in baseball no matter what Dodger fans will try to tell you. Adrian, Khalil, and Kouz are all 30 HR threats in my eyes. We have improved our 2 weakest positions from last years team, LF and 2B, Hairston or Gerut is a step up from Cruz or Sledge, and Iguchi is 2 steps up from Marcus Giles. Health is gonna be a big question, but it is for every team every season. We lack speed, but with our park we can make it up with hitting the gaps and smart baserunning. We missed the postseason by one pitch last year, I see us finishing 2nd behind the Dbacks and winning the wild card. Rockies had a magical run at the right time last year but will fall back to reality, Giants are a joke. Dodgers got Torre but he wont be able to find the fountain of youth for ailing veterans like Kent, and Garciaparra
i was so full of hope leading into this season...what major letdown.

56lightsout56
09-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Sandy Alderson, the smartest man to have ever watched baseball, has essentially run the organization into the ground. they spend far to much time listening to the opinions of the propeller heads (moneyball computer geeks) than they do listening to baseball men.

Its not going to get any better and they will be bottom feeders for the next several years-at least. the saving grace would be Moores selling the team but to be honest, Moores is the type of guy that would #### up a cup of coffee.

so look for them to reduce payroll, fill the roster with fringe players and crow about their central american training facility.

Charanna
09-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Good luck next year Pads..........

Boltman2004
09-27-2008, 03:36 PM
lol at all the people who expected Prior to actually pitch this season.

ChrisSoho
09-27-2008, 10:32 PM
We won't do anything unless we get some people who can hit the ball.