PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Trev...Make Bell The Closer!

mccharger
04-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I love Trevor Hoffman to death. I believe he is the greatest closer of all time, but his time has past and we have a better option for closer. We are just being politicaly correct is all. Nobody has the heart to tell Trevor to step aside. A new bell should toll in Petco and it should be Health Bell.

JCDavey
04-02-2008, 11:08 PM
I love Trevor Hoffman to death. I believe he is the greatest closer of all time, but his time has past and we have a better option for closer. We are just being politicaly correct is all. Nobody has the heart to tell Trevor to step aside. A new bell should toll in Petco and it should be Health Bell.typical overreactionnary fan response

let's bench peavy after the next start he looks like a scrub in

mccharger
04-02-2008, 11:10 PM
typical overreactionnary fan response

let's bench peavy after the next start he looks like a scrub inJC you know darn well Im not basing this off of this last performance.

JCDavey
04-02-2008, 11:15 PM
JC you know darn well Im not basing this off of this last performance.i just don't see any reason at all to bench him

it's same ole trevor, he'll save a ****load of games and choke a few away

this is the MO for his entire career, hell it's the MO for the greatest closers entire career

you should be just thanking jesus christ right now you haven't had to have eric gagne or billy wagner

i'm serious, give the ball to bell, as soon as he ****s some games up let's see if he gets the same treatment

i think you guys just want a closer with an actual fastball, that's usually what it boils down to

mccharger
04-02-2008, 11:58 PM
i just don't see any reason at all to bench him

it's same ole trevor, he'll save a ****load of games and choke a few away

this is the MO for his entire career, hell it's the MO for the greatest closers entire career

you should be just thanking jesus christ right now you haven't had to have eric gagne or billy wagner

i'm serious, give the ball to bell, as soon as he ****s some games up let's see if he gets the same treatment

i think you guys just want a closer with an actual fastball, that's usually what it boils down toJC he is 40 something years old. I just want a younger closer is what it boils down to. I really think if all loyalties were set aside , Bell would already be the closer.

JCDavey
04-03-2008, 12:59 AM
JC he is 40 something years old. I just want a younger closer is what it boils down to. I really think if all loyalties were set aside , Bell would already be the closer.i just think it's funny that this is the same ole trevor he's always been, and because of his age he's now being **** on, and he's actually not pitching any different at all.

RandomTask
04-03-2008, 07:49 AM
It's definitely time to panic three games into the season.

FYI - Lance Berkman is pretty good and if you leave a fastball up he'll make you pay.

AZLightsOut19
04-03-2008, 08:09 AM
i just think it's funny that this is the same ole trevor he's always been, and because of his age he's now being **** on, and he's actually not pitching any different at all.

Like you said in another thread, he tried to get to cute after getting the two quick outs. Plus this thread wouldn't even exist if Adrian was able to handle that single. Berkman would have never made it out of the batters circle. I guarantee you that if that out was made, this thread would be about how Trevors problems are in the past, and how great he looks.

kiwibolt
04-03-2008, 08:15 AM
3 games into the season folks.....

he may well be over the hill and on his way out, but we won't know after one blown save.

Lucid
04-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Trevor isnt going anywhere. He might not retain the closer role, but he will stay around for the late inning stuff with the Pads.

SD4Life
04-03-2008, 09:45 AM
I Am Done With Trevor. 3 Blown Saves In His Last 4 Appearances, Including Last Seasons Extra Innings Loss To The Rockies. Screw You Trevor. Please Make Heath Bell The Closer. Now!!!!!!!!!

SD4Life
04-03-2008, 09:47 AM
typical overreactionnary fan response

let's bench peavy after the next start he looks like a scrub in
hes blown 3 of his last 4 saves, including the one against the rockies last season, which was the most important of all. i'm done with this old fart

SD4Life
04-03-2008, 09:48 AM
BTW is "overreactionnary" a word?

dekkerbasser
04-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Both sides have legitimate points.

Trevor has let us down and he is aging and yes, JC, I want a closer w/a fastball.

However, its only 3 games into the season. He's gonna be fine and Bell isnt ready to be our fulltime closer just yet.

leftyinthepen
04-03-2008, 10:10 AM
padres lost one game, and are only 2-1....i am going to burn all of my padre gear and start rooting for the royals....at least they are undefeated....

are you guys actually believing what you write, or are you just trying to stir the pot?

trevor will be just fine...he may *only* get 30 saves this year, may blow more than he normally does, but hoffman has deserved the right, the respect, to get back out there and show he is still the man....

besides, no one was saying a damn thing after he saved the game on tuesday night......

SuperMatt
04-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Same old Trevor. There's no one out there that's better right now.

Maybe Bell will be a fantastic closer, but you don't know until you put him in that role. His fastball is down 3-5 mph this season, they say. He worked a LOT last season and was fantastic, but he's no spring chicken either. He's gonna be 31 this year and he's only pitched in 164 games in his career, 83 of them with the Pads.

Closers will blow saves sometimes. It happens. Give it a chance to play out before you start screaming for his head. If he comes back out tomorrow and mows them down (as he has done 525 times in his career, in case you've forgotten), it will all be forgotten.

It sucks to drop one this way, but Trevor is far from done.

mccharger
04-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Im not saying that Trevor wont end up having a good year, in fact theres is nothing to believe he wont get 30 to 40 plus saves once again. I just think Bell is now the better option. But then again thats why Im here and not a GM. So we shall see. Trust me, I will be pulling for Trevor as much as anybody. Its just clearly not the same Trevor of years ago.

leftyinthepen
04-03-2008, 04:13 PM
wow...trevor comes in for an 8(7 strikes, 1 ball) pitch save.....good thing he planned he retirement after last nights game

dekkerbasser
04-03-2008, 04:29 PM
TH looked fantastic just now! Eat crow nay-sayers! :Beer:

mccharger
04-03-2008, 04:38 PM
wow...trevor comes in for an 8(7 strikes, 1 ball) pitch save.....good thing he planned he retirement after last nights gameI knew that was coming. But lets not forget he has still blown 3 of 5. But Im not one to be so negative after a win so i will give credit where credit is due. He did look much sharper today. Its not that I dont think hoffy can still be effective, i just feel we have a better option. As a fan its not my job to be rationale, and perhaps right now Im not being so, but I just dont have any confidence in Hoffy taking the mound , well at least how i use to. Maybe thats just it, maybe he has been so good for so long that when he fails it is just gets magnified. Regardless he is not the same hoffy and its only going to get worse. So many pitchers hang on way too long. I dont want that to be Hoffy. i for one would love to look back on this thread at the end of the year and laugh at myself im just not so sure. One thing is for sure though, as long as Hoffy is in there i will be pulling for him.

ChargersFan55
04-03-2008, 04:51 PM
hey guys, its only 2-1. Hoffy will eventually get his stuff back. There's 159 more games left and kinda early for the panic button. if you should complain, complain about Maddux, I'm not sure he should be in the 3rd spot in a rotation.

SuperMatt
04-03-2008, 04:56 PM
3-1 now. Hoffy nailed it down 1-2-3 today to clinch a 3-2 victory and to win the series.

Nightmare last night, lights out today.

Same ol Hoffy.

ChargersFan55
04-03-2008, 04:58 PM
3-1 now. Hoffy nailed it down 1-2-3 today to clinch a 3-2 victory and to win the series.

Nightmare last night, lights out today.

Same ol Hoffy.
sweet................. 158 games to go.

JCDavey
04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
hoffman with the save ladies...what's up?

lol

mccharger
04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
hoffman with the save ladies...what's up?

lolrefer to my previous post.

David110
04-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Stop worrying about last year. It's over and done with. Pads are 3-1, have a pretty good pitching staff. get off of Trevor's back. They same type of people that start this thread are the same ones who claim LT is a 3rd down back or on his decline. Get over yourselves.

mccharger
04-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Stop worrying about last year. It's over and done with. Pads are 3-1, have a pretty good pitching staff. get off of Trevor's back. They same type of people that start this thread are the same ones who claim LT is a 3rd down back or on his decline. Get over yourselves.Get over myself? Get over yourself . Just because my opinion doesnt agree with yours , you throw a little fit. Its called an opinion guy and this a message board. Deal with it.

David110
04-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Get over myself? Get over yourself . Just because my opinion doesnt agree with yours , you throw a little fit. Its called an opinion guy and this a message board. Deal with it.

I'm not the one who started the thread. You can't get mad over a post like mine. The past 3 years whenever Hoffy blows a save, threads like this come up. RRREEELLLAAAAXXXXXX, who's the one that threw the fit.

mccharger
04-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm not the one who started the thread. You can't get mad over a post like mine. The past 3 years whenever Hoffy blows a save, threads like this come up. RRREEELLLAAAAXXXXXX, who's the one that threw the fit.Thanks for your opinion.

AZLightsOut19
04-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Children Children!!!!! No need to get all hot and bothered here. It is what it is, Hoffman ain't going anywhere. Let's just sit back and enjoy another year of Padre baseball.

leftyinthepen
04-04-2008, 09:39 AM
8 pitch save.....3 games in a row, coming back on short rest after a very tough blown save....

i think hoffman is right on par.....

RandomTask
04-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Bob Scanlan made a good point Trevor has started slow and blown saves/lost since 2004 but he still continues to put up 40+ save seasons. We'll see what happens!

BayAreaCharger
04-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Yeah, sure, take our best reliever and relegate him to a role where he is less effective.

Remember when we thought Liney was the heir apparent to Hoffy? How'd that work out?

I'd say give Bell some time to prove that he won't go Linedrive on us.

mccharger
04-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Yeah, sure, take our best reliever and relegate him to a role where he is less effective.

Remember when we thought Liney was the heir apparent to Hoffy? How'd that work out?

I'd say give Bell some time to prove that he won't go Linedrive on us.I never had faith in Leadshrink...I mean linebrink. Im not saying Bell wont blow a few this year himself, everybody does. Im just saying at this stage of their careers I believe Bell will blow much fewer. Just my opinion. If Im not mistaken he has the longest scoreless streak going out of all MLB relivers dating back to last year. Regardless it doesnt matter what i think, so we will see what happens. I do hope Trevor does well but Im a fan of the Padres first, a Hoffman fan second.

GRIMMz SD
04-08-2008, 06:59 PM
trevor is a shot closer..i know every closer blows a couple..but c'mon the batters are basically just anticipating that off-speed pitch and his mid 80's fastball..they know what he is going to throw..every hitter can jump on a mediocre fastball when they know its coming..& his off-speed pitches are predictable now. his location is off too...its time to call it quits trev.

SuperMatt
05-29-2008, 04:16 PM
7 pitches, all strikes today. Uno, Dos, A-Di-Os.

mccharger
06-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Hoffy stikes again. Embarrassing. Oh and that play by Edgar was ridiculous but at that point Hoffy already blew it.

David110
06-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Hoffy stikes again. Embarrassing. Oh and that play by Edgar was ridiculous but at that point Hoffy already blew it.

What's this, Hoffman's 1st blown save since April??

mccharger
06-01-2008, 05:56 PM
What's this, Hoffman's 1st blown save since April??Look at his stats and tell me he is an effective pitcher right now. Plus he blows games that arent save oppurtunities. He is 0 and 5. Face it Hoffy was the man but he is a liablity out there now. Its like watching batting practice.

JCDavey
06-01-2008, 07:45 PM
most of the team is a liability

aside from peavy gonzo young and a few others, they should just ship people like hoffy out and see what they can get for them, and just start over

the padres suck this year, and even a top notch hoffman would not have prevented it

Bolt Cola
07-21-2008, 09:50 PM
maybe we should rethink thie title of this thread and change to Sorry Bell Make Trevor the Setup Man

mccharger
07-21-2008, 10:21 PM
maybe we should rethink thie title of this thread and change to Sorry Bell Make Trevor the Setup Manthat is worth some thought.

JCDavey
07-21-2008, 11:12 PM
bell gave up a big 3 run hr the other day

i think we just suck this year all around

Bolt Cola
07-21-2008, 11:54 PM
bell gave up a big 3 run hr the other day

i think we just suck this year all around

Bell has given up 7 runs in 2 innings in his last two games...if you look at his season as a whole he seems to slip in the middle part of every month, and is lights out pretty much at the beginning and end.

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?playerID=42551 4&statType=2

leftyinthepen
08-14-2008, 04:59 PM
today, save #26 out of 29 chances.....

good thing the organization didn't jump on *that* bandwagon.....

JCDavey
08-14-2008, 05:20 PM

good thing the organization didn't jump on *that* bandwagon.....wouldn't have mattered this year, but yeah, aside from the e.r.a., this is classic trevor, greatest closer ever

mccharger
08-14-2008, 05:24 PM

good thing the organization didn't jump on *that* bandwagon.....Not to jump on Trevor, but a home run for 3 outs isn't exactly something to brag about. Its good thing we had a 2 run lead when he came in today. He gets taken deep a lot and thats a fact. If he didn't play in Petco he would have given up twice as many. Plus look at his numbers in non save situations.

CargadoresFan1
09-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I love Trevor Hoffman to death. I believe he is the greatest closer of all time, but his time has past and we have a better option for closer. We are just being politicaly correct is all. Nobody has the heart to tell Trevor to step aside. A new bell should toll in Petco and it should be Health Bell.
I think he should give the younger guy a chance? and take him under his old wing