PDA

View Full Version : Trade Rumors swirling about Peavy

Bolt Cola
10-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I just heard an interview with Barry Axelrod, Peavy's Agent, and it was focused around the possibility of the Padres dealing Peavy. I don't think this is a smart move on any count, He is the centerpiece of what they should build around, a proven ace. I don't want to see him dealt for a bunch of top prospects with the chance that none of them ever become proven stars. What are your thoughts? It seems like there is a lot of smoke out there and that is normally not a good sign of things to come.

JCDavey
10-09-2008, 11:42 AM
I just heard an interview with Barry Axelrod, Peavy's Agent, and it was focused around the possibility of the Padres dealing Peavy. I don't think this is a smart move on any count, He is the centerpiece of what they should build around, a proven ace. I don't want to see him dealt for a bunch of top prospects with the chance that none of them ever become proven stars. What are your thoughts? It seems like there is a lot of smoke out there and that is normally not a good sign of things to come.i like some of the young talent we saw at the end of this past season, i agree, trading peavy is retarded

i expect this type of **** out of the padres though

they need an overhaul of ownership

RAWDOGG
10-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Trade him to the Dodgers!

JCDavey
10-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Trade him to the Dodgers!lol he'd probably go 25-1 there!

mccharger
10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
If we get a bunch of top prospects than you have to deal Peavy. We have no minor league at all. We need talent. One ace won't do jack on this loser team. Make it happen and take some chances or keep doing what we are doing and go another 40 years without a championship. It would suck because he is my favorite player but at this point its whats best for the team. Jake Peavy could get us a ton of prospects or even young established major leaguers. And if someone doesn't over pay for him , than you don't trade him.

SuperMatt
10-10-2008, 12:11 PM
It depends on what your plans are for the next three or four years. If you think your team is a couple pieces removed and you think you can reasonably get those pieces, you keep him.

If you feel like you have to tear this team up and rebuild it from the ground up, you could probably get a boatload of minor league talent for Peav.

That said, I'd be VERY sad to see him go. He's a terrific ballplayer and SO much fun to watch, but he also deserves the shot to win.

56lightsout56
10-11-2008, 10:24 AM
from today's UT. I doubt they go into FA at all this year. and it looks like they are going to rebuild so as much as I dont like trading Peavy, from a basball perspective it makes sense. with Peavy's age and relatively inexpensive contract, they should get at least three top AAA or AA players for him, but watch them screw it up haha

finally, the michael barrett experiment is over too

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2008/oct/10/padres-s11padres213243/?padres

Peavy talks under way
Towers said he has heard from clubs interested in trading for ace pitcher Jake Peavy. “We're having talks,” he said.

The GM said he wouldn't be surprised if the Peavy talks heat up next month.

Simmons for bench
Another vocal major-league veteran, Ted Simmons, likely will be joining manager Bud Black's staff as bench coach. Simmons, the bench coach for the Brewers last offseason, recently met with Black. He had worked as a special assistant to Towers before becoming the bench coach to his friend Ned Yost, the Brewers manager fired last month.

Denker added
The Padres Friday claimed second baseman Travis Denker off waivers from the Giants. Towers said the 5-foot-9 right-handed hitter will join a group of second base candidates along with Matt Antonelli, Luis Rodriguez and Edgar Gonzalez. Denker, 23, hit .243 with one home run in 37 at-bats for the Giants. He has a .376 career on-base percentage in the minor leagues.

“He's got a chance to be an offensive player,” Towers said. “I don't see us going out and getting a second baseman.”

Denker is the 10th player claimed off waivers by the Padres this season, the most in the majors.

Catcher Michael Barrett was outrighted off the 40-man roster into free agency.

JCDavey
10-11-2008, 10:33 AM
not going FA is more than likely another death sentence for the team

this is mlb not the nfl, padres

FA is a must

mccharger
10-11-2008, 03:14 PM
not going FA is more than likely another death sentence for the team

this is mlb not the nfl, padres

FA is a mustWhat free agents have the Tampa Bay Rays signed?

RandomTask
10-14-2008, 02:20 PM
If Jake is traded it will significantly effect my attendance of Padres games.

Satcong_21
10-14-2008, 08:52 PM
What free agents have the Tampa Bay Rays signed?

How many "Cinderella" story like the Rays success this year in recent history of MLB? So far I can only remember the Marlins came from nowhere to win the WS...My point is that the percentage of you keep on signing castoff players or sign players from the street and hope they become champions is extremely low or near nonexistent...

Pads fan, stop being a sucker to their money game and act more like a fan who wants to win...

P.S. I go to the Petco and hope to see a competitive team going for a win, not some fish taco or some Randy Jones's ballpark food.

mccharger
10-14-2008, 10:26 PM
How many "Cinderella" story like the Rays success this year in recent history of MLB? So far I can only remember the Marlins came from nowhere to win the WS...My point is that the percentage of you keep on signing castoff players or sign players from the street and hope they become champions is extremely low or near nonexistent...

Pads fan, stop being a sucker to their money game and act more like a fan who wants to win...

P.S. I go to the Petco and hope to see a competitive team going for a win, not some fish taco or some Randy Jones's ballpark food.So then quit signing castoffs from the street and start drafting like the Rays have. Bottom line is our minor league sucks and until that changes, so will the Padres. ....and what does fish tacos or BBQ have to do with anything? Are you saying real fans don't eat hotdogs at ballgames?:rolleyes:

501chARgerguy
10-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Why am I the only 1 who thinks that this is a totally asinine idea?

LAbolt
10-16-2008, 01:27 PM
I just heard an interview with Barry Axelrod, Peavy's Agent, and it was focused around the possibility of the Padres dealing Peavy. I don't think this is a smart move on any count, He is the centerpiece of what they should build around, a proven ace. I don't want to see him dealt for a bunch of top prospects with the chance that none of them ever become proven stars. What are your thoughts? It seems like there is a lot of smoke out there and that is normally not a good sign of things to come.

Hope he can get traded to the dodgers. we will give you furcal and Kent

Bolt Cola
10-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Hope he can get traded to the dodgers. we will give you furcal and Kentthrow in Andruw Jones and make us pay his salary and you've got yourself a deal

MasterXploder
10-16-2008, 01:45 PM
If Jake is traded it will significantly effect my attendance of Padres games."i'll have what he's having!":helmet

TJ-Charger-Fan
10-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Trading Peavy wont make this team better, it's that simple. Unless we get the top 2-3 position and pitching prospects and some established YOUNG players in return; it'd have to be a deal that helps the team NOW not in the "future".

That being said trading Peavy is like saying we should've traded Tony and im shocked Padre fans think this is the way to go. You dont get rid of your best pitcher (and one of the best in the entire league). Even on this crappy team he still put the team in positions to win almost every start, he just had lousy run support.

mccharger
10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Trading Peavy wont make this team better, it's that simple. Unless we get the top 2-3 position and pitching prospects and some established YOUNG players in return; it'd have to be a deal that helps the team NOW not in the "future".

That being said trading Peavy is like saying we should've traded Tony and im shocked Padre fans think this is the way to go. You dont get rid of your best pitcher (and one of the best in the entire league). Even on this crappy team he still put the team in positions to win almost every start, he just had lousy run support.You know we won't spend money, so how would you suggest this to team get better "now" as you say? This team needs to plan for the future because there is no quick fix for this team. If we do it right and get legitimate players and prospects it could be the turning point for this franchise. Look at the Rays. They did it through their minor leagues. Those Rays are currently dismantling the mighty Red Sox and are on their way to a World Series. Or you can sit around and watch Peavy give us a chance to win every 5 days as we fight to avoid 100 losses. Sounds great to me.

Medford Bronco
10-16-2008, 08:50 PM
As a Dodger fan I would drive him to the airport if they got rid of him.

It would be a huge mistake. Some Pads fans here (not all) make fun of the Dodgers for spending too much money. At least they try to win, not throw in the towel. That is kind of sad, dont you think?

mccharger
10-16-2008, 08:57 PM
As a Dodger fan I would drive him to the airport if they got rid of him.

It would be a huge mistake. Some Pads fans here (not all) make fun of the Dodgers for spending too much money. At least they try to win, not throw in the towel. That is kind of sad, dont you think?Who is thowing in the towel. Keeping an ace on a crappy team gets you 99 losses. I would say trying that again would be throwing in the towel. Some of you (not all) just don't understand baseball and how a small market team succeeds.

56lightsout56
10-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Why am I the only 1 who thinks that this is a totally asinine idea?

probably because they will make a totally asinine deal and take a peanut and cotton candy vendor and some bill james computer stat geek that sandy can talk shop with.

they should come out of this deal with a top flight center fielder, a middle infielder and a catcher.

the braves have some absolutely great prospects

mccharger
10-16-2008, 09:12 PM
probably because they will make a totally asinine deal and take a peanut and cotton candy vendor and some bill james computer stat geek that sandy can talk shop with.

they should come out of this deal with a top flight center fielder, a middle infielder and a catcher.

the braves have some absolutely great prospectsIf we can get some of those top Brave prospects, I could get excited about this team again. Yankees have a bunch also.

TJ-Charger-Fan
10-16-2008, 11:26 PM
You know we won't spend money, so how would you suggest this to team get better "now" as you say? This team needs to plan for the future because there is no quick fix for this team. If we do it right and get legitimate players and prospects it could be the turning point for this franchise. Look at the Rays. They did it through their minor leagues. Those Rays are currently dismantling the mighty Red Sox and are on their way to a World Series. Or you can sit around and watch Peavy give us a chance to win every 5 days as we fight to avoid 100 losses. Sounds great to me.

This team is 1 year removed from fighting for a playoff spot and 2 years from winning back to back division titles. This team got severely hurt by injuries to key players.

I wouldnt trade Peavy, period. Call me naive or bullheaded or whatever but he is the face of the franchise along with Trevor.
This is why SD fans gets a bad rap, as soon as thing go sour they want to get rid of every good player (you can see it already with the LT talk above) and think that will fix things. I cant guarantee keeping Peavy will make us champions but you or no else can guarantee trading him will.
What I can assure you is that with every Peavy start the Pads have a legit chance of winning those games.

mccharger
10-17-2008, 12:18 AM
This team is 1 year removed from fighting for a playoff spot and 2 years from winning back to back division titles. This team got severely hurt by injuries to key players.

I wouldnt trade Peavy, period. Call me naive or bullheaded or whatever but he is the face of the franchise along with Trevor.
This is why SD fans gets a bad rap, as soon as thing go sour they want to get rid of every good player (you can see it already with the LT talk above) and think that will fix things. I cant guarantee keeping Peavy will make us champions but you or no else can guarantee trading him will.
What I can assure you is that with every Peavy start the Pads have a legit chance of winning those games.If we go sign a few good free agents (this year has very few) than I agree. But wouldn't you agree that if we plan to rebuild the fastest way to do that would be to get a dream deal for Peavy? I do believe if the Padres really wanted to, we could go spend a little dough and we could make a run, but we all know the only dough the Padres have is in the Friars belly. Sign Manny and keep Peavy. Manny is so good , I could get very, very excited about the thought of him with Adrian and Peavy. But lets face it, that won't happen.

Bolt Cola
10-17-2008, 09:58 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3647795

while i understand the logic, I think that the fan reaction will be extremely negative and will have a profound negative effect on ticket sales for next year...I may even shed a tear if they deal him

dv82u
10-17-2008, 12:28 PM
I think it's going to happen and the house of cards will collapse. Chris Young is not ready to be the #1. If they're looking for prospects. They'll need a new front office because they don't know how to scout for talent.Plus I just don't want to get nobody's on my photos, bats, balls, etc.... You might as well convert the Padres to a minor league team. My two cents.

TJ-Charger-Fan
10-17-2008, 01:00 PM
If we go sign a few good free agents (this year has very few) than I agree. But wouldn't you agree that if we plan to rebuild the fastest way to do that would be to get a dream deal for Peavy? I do believe if the Padres really wanted to, we could go spend a little dough and we could make a run, but we all know the only dough the Padres have is in the Friars belly. Sign Manny and keep Peavy. Manny is so good , I could get very, very excited about the thought of him with Adrian and Peavy. But lets face it, that won't happen.

what would a dream deal be for you?
for me it means getting established players that will help immediately and their top prospects. Peavy is a proven commodity, getting anything less in return does nothing for me. If we get legit stars at, say, a #1 or 2 P, starting CF, C, and 2B PLUS their top prospects i wouldnt accept a trade for Peavy.

chargersfan31
10-17-2008, 04:14 PM
iam a big pads fan have been going to the games for about 4 years but if they deal peavy i will never go there agin i mean what kinda message is this sending to the fan base oh wait a few years for these prospects to develop i dont care if there the best this is a cy young winner iam geting sick from reading this and plus peavy is a great guy he is great for the padres what do you guys think

gochargers.21
10-18-2008, 12:21 AM
...I think using periods would help =P

and trading peavy would not help.....sigh. When will SD win a championship??? In any sport! =(

ScootMagroot
10-18-2008, 02:03 AM
well....Peavy's top choice is Houston, but its unlikely to happen. This was posted today on the Padres site:

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081018&content_id=3629172&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

If Peavy is gone, so am I. Lets go ANGELS!!! will be what i start saying.

But If he is gone, I hope its to the Dodgers. As much as I hate them, I would love to see Peavy absolutely destroy the Padres 5 times during the year for being such greedy cheapskates.

If he is gone, we can guarantee at least 115 losses.

ScootMagroot
10-18-2008, 02:09 AM

Ive noticed this, and have come to the conclusion that his computer does not have these specific buttons and possibly more: . , : ; ' " ?

MasterXploder
10-18-2008, 04:48 PM
well....Peavy's top choice is Houston, but its unlikely to happen. This was posted today on the Padres site:

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081018&content_id=3629172&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

If Peavy is gone, so am I. Lets go ANGELS!!! will be what i start saying.

But If he is gone, I hope its to the Dodgers. As much as I hate them, I would love to see Peavy absolutely destroy the Padres 5 times during the year for being such greedy cheapskates.

If he is gone, we can guarantee at least 115 losses.yeah i heard about this today.houston? damn that sucks! especially when jake says he would go there.maybe the friars could get el cavallo? yeah right! they will probably end up getting a ham sandwhich.call me insane but i just don't get excited about any other mlb team other than the friars.so i don't really see myself rooting for some other ballclub if peavy smashes out! good look with those halos! @ least you will have some excitement knowing that they will be bringing in top notch free agent talent! as far as those dodgers go oh HELL NAH!!!!!!!!!!!:helmet

56lightsout56
10-18-2008, 06:37 PM
this is a blurb from a story in the Arizona republic newspaper on Randy Johnson.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2008/10/17/20081017dbrandy1017.html

It would not surprise me to see him and Maddux in the rotation next year based on the old "san diego discount".

that FO is retarded if they go in that direction.

What if he and the Diamondbacks can't come to an agreement?

Johnson said during the season that while he still enjoys pitching and competing, the rigors of traveling and being away from home had worn on him. That would seem to suggest that he might not want to pitch elsewhere - or, at least, that the number of teams for which he would be willing to play would be limited to those on the West Coast.

Along with owning a home in the Valley, he also has a place in Southern California, so pitching for either Los Angeles team or San Diego could be considerations.

the SDUT story today quotes Towers as saying he wants pitching and will only shop Peavy to the NL due to his no trade clause (another moronic move). unless this is like April in the NFL in which its called "liars month" KT should zip it about discussing trade strategy.

note: article says houston doesnt match up well with what Pads want so it could multiple trade partners. also like the idea of including Greene in the trade.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2008/oct/17/padres-padsweb1718101/?padres

edit: added a classic comment to the article

i'm not a big baseball guy, but this has to be the stupidest soundbite Towers has ever said. We're looking for pitching, then why the hell are you trying to trade the best pitcher on your rotation that you have on contrct for another 4 years, for another pitcher that is ready or almost ready for the show. that's like saying i don't need a driver i have my son who has a permit. then you are trying to resign a way past glory days closer instead. it better be a two for one deal 1 starter 1 closer if you're going to get rid of peavy.

EndzoneJunkie
10-19-2008, 03:53 AM
Padres are wacked, Ever since the begining of time the Padres MGT has been saying we need a new stadium so we can sign top free agents such as VLAD, Manny, so we give them a new stadium, what 5 years now??? no big names, same ole padres... im off that banwagon,,,, ohhh i forgot the outragous tickets comepared to the Q & the food at petco taste like shait... come on, do something right already/.... until u do, and i mean big time, im off that train in Anaheim... as far as im concerned.... Padres can pound sand.... GO Ducks, Chargers...

EndzoneJunkie
10-19-2008, 03:57 AM
Padres are wacked, Ever since the begining of time the Padres MGT has been saying we need a new stadium so we can sign top free agents such as VLAD, Manny, so we give them a new stadium, what 5 years now??? no big names, same ole padres... im off that banwagon,,,, ohhh i forgot the outragous tickets comepared to the Q & the food at petco taste like shait... come on, do something right already/.... until u do, and i mean big time, im off that train in Anaheim... as far as im concerned.... Padres can pound sand.... GO Ducks, Chargers...
hopefully ticket prices drop like a sack of potatos, even then i wont go...

pancake1188
10-20-2008, 12:07 PM
the are rumors about the brewers wanting him. if we could get JJ hardy and Gwynn Jr. and pitcher I would do that deal

EndzoneJunkie
10-21-2008, 12:31 AM
brewers will denf give away gwynn jr... Padres will denf take him, just another stunt to avoid paying real talent... i expect gwynn jr to be main foucus of the trade..

ScootMagroot
10-21-2008, 01:21 AM
brewers will denf give away gwynn jr... Padres will denf take him, just another stunt to avoid paying real talent... i expect gwynn jr to be main foucus of the trade..

i still dont get why the padres would want Gwynn Jr. he has not proved anything at all at the major league level except that he can hit a Trevor Hoffman pitch that is hanging over the middle of the plate. and if they trade him to them, it better be for a hell of a lot more than gwynn, and hardy.

mccharger
10-21-2008, 11:49 AM
i still dont get why the padres would want Gwynn Jr. he has not proved anything at all at the major league level except that he can hit a Trevor Hoffman pitch that is hanging over the middle of the plate. and if they trade him to them, it better be for a hell of a lot more than gwynn, and hardy.I agree. If we don't get more than that for Peavy, I would be very upset.

jhasley
10-21-2008, 08:18 PM
padres being cheap and lying to us

remember them saying IF THEY got a new stadium ..they would be able to spend more and compete

LIARSSSSSSSSSSS

EndzoneJunkie
10-22-2008, 09:06 PM
padres being cheap and lying to us

remember them saying IF THEY got a new stadium ..they would be able to spend more and compete

LIARSSSSSSSSSSS

sooo true, we were promised vlad or manny type players

mccharger
10-22-2008, 10:54 PM
sooo true, we were promised vlad or manny type players When did they say that? All they said was that they would be competitive. And up until last year they have. I'm not trying to defend them, I'm just stating the facts.

EndzoneJunkie
10-24-2008, 11:09 AM
When did they say that? All they said was that they would be competitive. And up until last year they have. I'm not trying to defend them, I'm just stating the facts.
lets face it mc, you are defending them... are you like 17 or something.... during the push for the park the padres stated we need a new park to attract and sign top tier players... they got the park, we got nothing... look here, i had seats in the first row in left field @ the rail.. perfect seats and have first chance at homerun balls, those seats were $9 each.. after the move those same seat in sec 134 at petco ar $27 each, i paid for them,,, however what did i get in return??? maddux, edmonds, all i seen was players leave, im done with complaining... im done with the padres, and the funny thing is its so easy for me to say even though i been a HARDCORE fan since 1983, even when tom werner owned the team i was still a fan of the rookies,,, but the money saving traps must stop... someone needs to get fired... come on, this is san diego, tell me why the $8 nachos at the park taste like shait... so many issues just make me wanna QUIT...

JCDavey
10-24-2008, 11:20 AM
it's true, the padres don't even try to get big name free agents

Bolt Cola
10-24-2008, 11:23 AM
lets face it mc, you are defending them... are you like 17 or something.... during the push for the park the padres stated we need a new park to attract and sign top tier players... they got the park, we got nothing... look here, i had seats in the first row in left field @ the rail.. perfect seats and have first chance at homerun balls, those seats were $9 each.. after the move those same seat in sec 134 at petco ar $27 each, i paid for them,,, however what did i get in return??? maddux, edmonds, all i seen was players leave, im done with complaining... im done with the padres, and the funny thing is its so easy for me to say even though i been a HARDCORE fan since 1983, even when tom werner owned the team i was still a fan of the rookies,,, but the money saving traps must stop... someone needs to get fired... come on, this is san diego, tell me why the $8 nachos at the park taste like shait... so many issues just make me wanna QUIT...

i don't know exactly what the Padres execs said, but as for prices of tickets...a newer venue will mean higher ticket prices for any team. as for the price of everything else, inflation sucks, what was the price of a gallon of gas back when you were getting those $9 tickets, im willing to guess about 3 times less

mccharger
10-24-2008, 02:22 PM
lets face it mc, you are defending them... are you like 17 or something.... during the push for the park the padres stated we need a new park to attract and sign top tier players... they got the park, we got nothing... look here, i had seats in the first row in left field @ the rail.. perfect seats and have first chance at homerun balls, those seats were $9 each.. after the move those same seat in sec 134 at petco ar $27 each, i paid for them,,, however what did i get in return??? maddux, edmonds, all i seen was players leave, im done with complaining... im done with the padres, and the funny thing is its so easy for me to say even though i been a HARDCORE fan since 1983, even when tom werner owned the team i was still a fan of the rookies,,, but the money saving traps must stop... someone needs to get fired... come on, this is san diego, tell me why the $8 nachos at the park taste like shait... so many issues just make me wanna QUIT...17 or something? I don't know what that is about but if it's imoportant for you then I will let you know I am 30 years old. So now that thats out of the way, do you even know who is in the World Series this year? We just need to start drafting better. And for the record, they never promised a huge payroll. All they said is they needed a new ballpark to be "competitive", it's your fault if you misunderstood.

EndzoneJunkie
10-24-2008, 09:46 PM
17 or something? I don't know what that is about but if it's imoportant for you then I will let you know I am 30 years old. So now that thats out of the way, do you even know who is in the World Series this year? We just need to start drafting better. And for the record, they never promised a huge payroll. All they said is they needed a new ballpark to be "competitive", it's your fault if you misunderstood.

misunderstood? thats funny... so i suppose im the only one huh...

EndzoneJunkie
10-24-2008, 09:51 PM
17 or something? I don't know what that is about but if it's imoportant for you then I will let you know I am 30 years old. So now that thats out of the way, do you even know who is in the World Series this year? We just need to start drafting better. And for the record, they never promised a huge payroll. All they said is they needed a new ballpark to be "competitive", it's your fault if you misunderstood. Great call on the do i know who is even in the world series line... Yes i do, Now check this out, the Padres and Philles opened their new ballparks the same year.... why such a HUGE diffrence in the teams? i thougt so.. mark my words, the padres wont get much for jake, they will blow that deal again, even though they are driving the car they will find a way to crash it..

mccharger
10-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Great call on the do i know who is even in the world series line... Yes i do, Now check this out, the Padres and Philles opened their new ballparks the same year.... why such a HUGE diffrence in the teams? i thougt so.. mark my words, the padres wont get much for jake, they will blow that deal again, even though they are driving the car they will find a way to crash it..I thought so? You thought what? Anyways, about my reference to the World Series, I was refering to the Rays. But sure, let's use Philly for example. Most of the Phillies are homegrown just like the Rays, right? Neither of which has a big payroll. In fact Philly is 13th and Tampa is second to last! That means the Padres spend about 30 million more than the Rays do to finish in last. Meanwhile the Rays and Phillies battle in the World Series. I would say we have a problem in the farm system, wouldn't you? Just like I said before, San Diego is a small market, therefore we all know, unless Moores sells this team we will not spend money. So we need to succeed through the draft and by building the farm. Do some research. Where are the teams at now with the highest payrolls? I thought so.....It's time to wake up San Diego, we are not the Yankees or Red Sox and never will be. But we could definitely pull off what these two teams in the World Series are doing.

EndzoneJunkie
10-25-2008, 03:49 AM
I thought so? You thought what? Anyways, about my reference to the World Series, I was refering to the Rays. But sure, let's use Philly for example. Most of the Phillies are homegrown just like the Rays, right? Neither of which has a big payroll. In fact Philly is 13th and Tampa is second to last! That means the Padres spend about 30 million more than the Rays do to finish in last. Meanwhile the Rays and Phillies battle in the World Series. I would say we have a problem in the farm system, wouldn't you? Just like I said before, San Diego is a small market, therefore we all know, unless Moores sells this team we will not spend money. So we need to succeed through the draft and by building the farm. Do some research. Where are the teams at now with the highest payrolls? I thought so.....It's time to wake up San Diego, we are not the Yankees or Red Sox and never will be. But we could definitely pull off what these two teams in the World Series are doing.

DREAM ON, Enough said...

Bolt Cola
11-05-2008, 04:01 PM
just heard unconfirmed reports on the radio that Peavy expects to end up a Dodger...talk about a kick in the teabag from Padres upper management to the fans

mccharger
11-05-2008, 04:22 PM
just heard unconfirmed reports on the radio that Peavy expects to end up a Dodger...talk about a kick in the teabag from Padres upper management to the fansTrading him the Dodgers would be crazy. I think it would be dumb to deal him to a division rival. Although I wouldn't mind some of that young talent the Dodgers have.

Sd dank
11-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Out here in Chicago there are alot of reports that the Cubs are the front runners. I myself would be stoked if Peavy would make Wrigley his new home.

Sd dank
11-06-2008, 07:22 PM

and trading peavy would not help.....sigh. When will SD win a championship??? In any sport! =(

Lets not forget the San Diego Soccers and the Gulls.

mccharger
11-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Out here in Chicago there are alot of reports that the Cubs are the front runners. I myself would be stoked if Peavy would make Wrigley his new home.I heard this also...not sure who the Cubs would give us in return. I am hoping we trade with Atlanta for some of those prospect.

Sd dank
11-06-2008, 09:24 PM
I heard this also...not sure who the Cubs would give us in return. I am hoping we trade with Atlanta for some of those prospect.
Sean Marshall, Jose Ceda, Ronny Cedeno, Rich Hill and Felix pie. Those are some of the names bieng thrown around out here.

mccharger
11-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Sean Marshall, Jose Ceda, Ronny Cedeno, Rich Hill and Felix pie. Those are some of the names bieng thrown around out here.What's your opinion on those guys?

Bolt Cola
11-06-2008, 10:21 PM
we better stay away from that Cubs deal...The Braves are offering up Yunel Escobar...he is major league ready and would replace Khalil and be an instant upgrade to that position. I have seen Hill and Marshall and neither one impresses me, Marshall is like a lefty Chris Young but not as good.

Bolt Cola
11-07-2008, 09:50 AM
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081106&content_id=3669529&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

Kevin Towers said Peavy is basically as good as gone......:(

mccharger
11-07-2008, 10:42 AM
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081106&content_id=3669529&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

Kevin Towers said Peavy is basically as good as gone......:(Lets just hope they don't screw this up.

RandomTask
11-07-2008, 12:35 PM
So depressed ... between Jake getting traded and the Chargers slow start it's been a rough couple months to be a San Diego sports fan.

Bolt Cola
11-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Keep an aging overpaid Giles, trade away one of the best pitchers in MLB in his prime...Like Seth Myers and Amy Poehler on SNL......REALLY? REALLY?

Gobolts1
11-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Does it really matter if they keep Peavey or trade him? The tight ass Owner/GM will never keep the quality players he did get in trade and they will end up leaving too. The Padres are more interested in making money than fielding a winner.

When Bochy left it was the beginning of the end.

SP17BOLT
11-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Trading Peavy would be a huge mistake!!

mccharger
11-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Trading Peavy would be a huge mistake!!I hear what you are saying.....but we lost 99 games with Peavy and he pitched great. We need a handfull of talented players for us to get anywhere close to a championship team. The fastest way to do that would be to get an awesome package for my favorite Padre , Jake Peavy. It is sad but it probably is the right move. Unless of course, the Padres find a way to mess it up. But in theory it is the right thing to do. (IMO)

EndzoneJunkie
11-07-2008, 11:57 PM
i don't know exactly what the Padres execs said, but as for prices of tickets...a newer venue will mean higher ticket prices for any team. as for the price of everything else, inflation sucks, what was the price of a gallon of gas back when you were getting those $9 tickets, im willing to guess about 3 times less

i dont belive anything you said... and who cares, the phillies won the world series all in the same about of time to dump

EndzoneJunkie
11-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Does it really matter if they keep Peavey or trade him? The tight ass Owner/GM will never keep the quality players he did get in trade and they will end up leaving too. The Padres are more interested in making money than fielding a winner.

When Bochy left it was the beginning of the end.
should have said it myself...

Bolt Cola
11-08-2008, 10:00 AM
i dont belive anything you said... and who cares, the phillies won the world series all in the same about of time to dump
Well from the looks of your avatar, you shouldn't have to worry about the price of a ticket to the game, you don't have to believe anything I say, but you also don't have to go to the games. As a fan you are allowed your opinions on the team and the direction they are headed just the same as I do. I wasn't making excuses for them, just making an observation about a statement I don't believe was ever made. I'm mad as hell about the direction they are headed, but I will stick with them to the bitter end.

boltpride515
11-08-2008, 12:20 PM
dont even pay attention to that guy. He doesnt come on here to talk sports. He comes here to talk about his gang and post under multiple names. Everything you said was absolutely true

Well from the looks of your avatar, you shouldn't have to worry about the price of a ticket to the game, you don't have to believe anything I say, but you also don't have to go to the games. As a fan you are allowed your opinions on the team and the direction they are headed just the same as I do. I wasn't making excuses for them, just making an observation about a statement I don't believe was ever made. I'm mad as hell about the direction they are headed, but I will stick with them to the bitter end.

boltpride515
11-08-2008, 12:23 PM
smells like you need to go back to school and learn how to spell. Honestly, I cant understand what you just said. Are you even a pad fan? Do us all a favor and stay in the MM high thread. Leave the other threads to people who come here to talk sports

Bolt Cola
11-11-2008, 08:56 AM
another Peavy story...basically the same stuff, except this one states that Giles is also probably going to be traded. Somebody alert SDFD, Petco Park has been set ablaze and the Fire Sale is getting out of control.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3695551

Lucid
11-11-2008, 08:58 AM
another Peavy story...basically the same stuff, except this one states that Giles is also probably going to be traded. Somebody alert SDFD, Petco Park has been set ablaze and the Fire Sale is getting out of control.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3695551

Well I am willing to pay up to $20 for the slightly used "best seats in the house"

Timmet2332
11-11-2008, 09:45 AM
So depressed ... between Jake getting traded and the Chargers slow start it's been a rough couple months to be a San Diego sports fan.

We're quickly approaching a "rough year."

jhasley
11-11-2008, 09:13 PM
We're quickly approaching a "rough year."

another rough year you mean

i expect a 100 loss team

EndzoneJunkie
11-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Im just sooo done, it's not FUNNY.... this team i grew 2 love is just being so disrespectful to the players and fans.... The fans are used to the constant LIES, im still in awe as to how they can offer trevor 4million (2much) to sign... then withdraw the offer in NoV? WOW, that was rash, how many days did Trevor have to think about it? u wonder why Milton Bradley dissed the Padres after an so called agreement was made... I say this, if there are many excuess over and over and over, no matter how good the excuess is, it doesnt matter at that point.... im done with the games, all you so called PADRES LOVERS, you will see... big promises and nothing 2 show, talkin loud and sayin nothing, Im done with the Padres like im done with Ed Hockulue

EndzoneJunkie
11-14-2008, 09:02 PM
another rough year you mean

i expect a 100 loss team

100 losses sounds right 2 me, however when that happens you get the first overall pick most likely, remember when they had the 1st overall pick a few years ago, and they took whats his name? its pretty bad when u draft an unknown so u dont have to pay out a large signing bonus.... anybody see the big picture yet? took me 22 years...

longtravelyota
11-17-2008, 12:20 AM
been a padre fan my whole life

i have a sick feeling that the padres might be like the pirates and royals for a long time if things dont change in the front office. After this hoffman thing and how upset some of the padres were like Chris Young, its gonna be tough to get players.

if they are gonna trade peavy, send him to the Angels, i will glady drive 70 miles to watch him start for a winning team, where the parking is 5 bucks, tickets are cheaper, and they WIN.

EndzoneJunkie
11-19-2008, 10:26 PM
been a padre fan my whole life

i have a sick feeling that the padres might be like the pirates and royals for a long time if things dont change in the front office. After this hoffman thing and how upset some of the padres were like Chris Young, its gonna be tough to get players.

if they are gonna trade peavy, send him to the Angels, i will glady drive 70 miles to watch him start for a winning team, where the parking is 5 bucks, tickets are cheaper, and they WIN.

i agree, im alraedy jumping on the angel bandwagon...

ScootMagroot
11-19-2008, 11:43 PM

I think its $8. at least that is what is has been for me the last 2 years

longtravelyota
11-24-2008, 09:02 PM
yeah its 5 if u park across the street, found that easier and dont have to deal with traffic in the lot. i will always be a huge padres fan, but went to CSUF for 5 years and went to a crap load of angel games. All ways a good time!

Sd dank
11-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Face it people the Padres are going to BLOW for the forseable future. John Mores is the worst owner in Baseball and has no problem lowering the value of his team to justify giving his wife less money in a divorce settlement. I have givin up. I have moved on to a team with an even bigger problem in the Playoffs but still go out and spend some cash to get there.

SDChargeHer
11-25-2008, 02:42 AM
well unfortunately i have an unconditional love for the padres (unless they were to leave) so pretty much im stuck watching them suck the next 5- 7 seasons. Maybe we'll get lucky but the dodgers look like they are getting it right and arizona is way better than us right now. It's going to be 3 seasons before we have anything that resembles a team and really it could be 5 seasons or more as long as baseball has no salary cap the teams with money will keep winning and those without will keep losing... see the royals. Tampa bay had a rare year this year. The padres need to get a load of minor leaguers for peavy and pray that 2 turn out to be good which could happen then they need to get a good amount of minor leaguers for giles when they trade him and hope for 1 to be good, then get matt bush an mattantonelli up here see what they can do and maybe just maybe we'll get a surprise season. Gerut showed some nice slugging but lets see what it does for 162.

EndzoneJunkie
11-29-2008, 12:30 AM
well unfortunately i have an unconditional love for the padres (unless they were to leave) so pretty much im stuck watching them suck the next 5- 7 seasons. Maybe we'll get lucky but the dodgers look like they are getting it right and arizona is way better than us right now. It's going to be 3 seasons before we have anything that resembles a team and really it could be 5 seasons or more as long as baseball has no salary cap the teams with money will keep winning and those without will keep losing... see the royals. Tampa bay had a rare year this year. The padres need to get a load of minor leaguers for peavy and pray that 2 turn out to be good which could happen then they need to get a good amount of minor leaguers for giles when they trade him and hope for 1 to be good, then get matt bush an mattantonelli up here see what they can do and maybe just maybe we'll get a surprise season. Gerut showed some nice slugging but lets see what it does for 162.
matt bush iz a waste of space... jump on the A's bandwagon, take the train to the stadium a chill YO

Bolt Cola
12-08-2008, 03:16 PM
So now its down to the Cubs or no one....great, now that we've pissed Peavy off with all the trade talks, he might not be traded. Bravo front office, you guys deserve a gold star for excellence.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081208&content_id=3706372&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

mccharger
12-08-2008, 06:45 PM
So now its down to the Cubs or no one....great, now that we've pissed Peavy off with all the trade talks, he might not be traded. Bravo front office, you guys deserve a gold star for excellence.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081208&content_id=3706372&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jspTotally agree. They screwed the whole thing from the start by saying Jake was definitely going to be traded. Which sounded desperate. For an Ivy League guy, Sandy sure is clueless.

Bolt Cola
12-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Peavy to Cubs is now dead....

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081211&content_id=3713272&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

Padres Move: lets see if we can find yet another aging veteran past his prime. Theres one... Omar Vizquel
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081210&content_id=3712275&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

sunbiz1
12-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Your GM is being smart, Marquis would have given you half a season and the Phillies third party offer was nothing spectacular. If I were the Cubs GM, I would gladly have given up Marquis/Derosa(to Phillies)for a Peavy. The Cubs should have been willing to part with Kevin Hart plus another player to get this deal done.

Peavy to Cubs is now dead....

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081211&content_id=3713272&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

Padres Move: lets see if we can find yet another aging veteran past his prime. Theres one... Omar Vizquel
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081210&content_id=3712275&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

Bolt Cola
12-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Your GM is being smart, Marquis would have given you half a season and the Phillies third party offer was nothing spectacular. If I were the Cubs GM, I would gladly have given up Marquis/Derosa(to Phillies)for a Peavy. The Cubs should have been willing to part with Kevin Hart plus another player to get this deal done.

I don't think Marquis was gonna be part of this deal, I think in order for the cubs to take Peavy's contract, they needed to find someone willing to take on Marquis' contract.

sunbiz1
12-11-2008, 05:39 PM
He was part of the deal as a direct trade from the Cubs to the Pads, Jim Hendry wanted to unload his payroll here. BTW, the deal is not dead...just on hold again.

I don't think Marquis was gonna be part of this deal, I think in order for the cubs to take Peavy's contract, they needed to find someone willing to take on Marquis' contract.

mccharger
12-11-2008, 06:44 PM
He was part of the deal as a direct trade from the Cubs to the Pads, Jim Hendry wanted to unload his payroll here. BTW, the deal is not dead...just on hold again.Padres are dumping payroll. Why would they trade Peavy to take on Marquis' salary?

sunbiz1
12-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Good question, what I do know is that the Cubs would have been able to dump 5M of the Marquis salary. I'm not sure if it was the Pads offering to directly pick up the remainder or if the Phillies were somehow covering the rest as a third party. From what I'm hearing this morning, your GM wanted 1-2 additional players. We need another SP to replace Marquis, the Cubs should sweeten the deal by offering Felix Pie as well.

Edit, I should have done more homework prior to posting this morning. Here is a pretty accurate assessment of what took place:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-12-rogers-winter-meetingsdec12,0,586773.column

Padres are dumping payroll. Why would they trade Peavy to take on Marquis' salary?