PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Motivation?

Bolt Cola
12-09-2008, 06:04 PM
The way that the Padres handled last season, and the off season have seriously got me thinking. With our payroll diminishing right before our eyes, and the players I have grown to love and cheer for being shown the door. I am struggling with a bunch of issues about the future of the franchise. John Moores is in the middle of his divorce and the financial state of his future is uncertain, leading to a shrinking payroll for next year.
Jake Peavy seems to be the victim of this situation. Jake was brought up through the Padres organization and has flourished with us. He was rewarded with a multi year deal and even took less money than he probably gotten had he chose not to re-sign with the Padres. Now that the Padres supposedly cannot afford even the smaller contract, he is being shopped for other young talent we won't pay if they succeed. My question is, what will the motivation be now for the younger players that are coming up? They are seeing what is happening with Peavy. What are they supposed to think?
What are the current Padres supposed to think? If they perform well, they will be shipped out because they are too good to be a Padre. I can't wait to see what happens next time we have to try and sign Adrian. He is probably already too good of a player to be part of this team. How can they expect us as fans to support this? Once a player gets any good, time to trade him so that John Moores will be financially secure.
John, buddy, please do us a favor and sell this team to someone who is willing to at least keep the talent that supposedly is on its way up from the minors. I'm not even gonna ask for you possibly sign a big name free agent that isn't 40 years old and clearly towards the end of their careers(Maddux, Piazza, Edmonds, Castilla). Just quit toying with our emotions by letting us attach ourselves to good players and then punishing us by sending them elsewhere because of your extreme "thriftiness."
If all of this is too much, then just please fire Sandy Alderson and his minions in the Front Office. They are taking what once was at least an average team, and turning us into the Kansas City Royals.

niceaznguy21
12-29-2008, 03:33 AM
They just need a couple of wins. That will give them a motivation boost. Give them a cookie every time they do something good.

EndzoneJunkie
12-29-2008, 06:09 PM
The way that the Padres handled last season, and the off season have seriously got me thinking. With our payroll diminishing right before our eyes, and the players I have grown to love and cheer for being shown the door. I am struggling with a bunch of issues about the future of the franchise. John Moores is in the middle of his divorce and the financial state of his future is uncertain, leading to a shrinking payroll for next year.
Jake Peavy seems to be the victim of this situation. Jake was brought up through the Padres organization and has flourished with us. He was rewarded with a multi year deal and even took less money than he probably gotten had he chose not to re-sign with the Padres. Now that the Padres supposedly cannot afford even the smaller contract, he is being shopped for other young talent we won't pay if they succeed. My question is, what will the motivation be now for the younger players that are coming up? They are seeing what is happening with Peavy. What are they supposed to think?
What are the current Padres supposed to think? If they perform well, they will be shipped out because they are too good to be a Padre. I can't wait to see what happens next time we have to try and sign Adrian. He is probably already too good of a player to be part of this team. How can they expect us as fans to support this? Once a player gets any good, time to trade him so that John Moores will be financially secure.
John, buddy, please do us a favor and sell this team to someone who is willing to at least keep the talent that supposedly is on its way up from the minors. I'm not even gonna ask for you possibly sign a big name free agent that isn't 40 years old and clearly towards the end of their careers(Maddux, Piazza, Edmonds, Castilla). Just quit toying with our emotions by letting us attach ourselves to good players and then punishing us by sending them elsewhere because of your extreme "thriftiness."
If all of this is too much, then just please fire Sandy Alderson and his minions in the Front Office. They are taking what once was at least an average team, and turning us into the Kansas City Royals.
BoltCola,,,, everything you said is sooo true and thank you for telling it so well...
Go Chargers.... surerbowl baby