PDA

View Full Version : Ban rumors

timconnelly
02-01-2009, 08:11 AM
I can't speak for anybody else but I'd like for all rumors (that reflect on someone's character)to be banned from this board. So what if they happen to be occasionally true- there's no advantage gained by any of us here to be among the first to hear that someone got picked up for DWI. What we're doing in the meantime is speculating on something that's absolutely none of our business unless or until it becomes a matter of public record. That shouldn't be a part of what this board's about.

If a player gets himself arrested- and we know that with certainty- that's a different matter. Now we're expressing our opinions about something. But when a post begins with "my boy told me"- and it takes over as the most commented on post for the day or week- we're on shaky ground.

If this isn't already a matter of policy for this board- can I suggest making it a policy?

kiwibolt
02-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Timely suggestion...

I tend to agree and think that if there isn't a linkable source, then it would be best to not post rumors that bring a person's character into question.

I'm going to move this to the Feedback section- which is where it really belongs and where it is more likely to get spotted by Joelbolt and the rest of the moderators.

Colsrob
02-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I can't speak for anybody else but I'd like for all rumors (that reflect on someone's character)to be banned from this board. So what if they happen to be occasionally true- there's no advantage gained by any of us here to be among the first to hear that someone got picked up for DWI. What we're doing in the meantime is speculating on something that's absolutely none of our business unless or until it becomes a matter of public record. That shouldn't be a part of what this board's about.

If a player gets himself arrested- and we know that with certainty- that's a different matter. Now we're expressing our opinions about something. But when a post begins with "my boy told me"- and it takes over as the most commented on post for the day or week- we're on shaky ground.

If this isn't already a matter of policy for this board- can I suggest making it a policy?

It's a public forum. The whole idea is to bring up topics and discuss them. Being that it's a Charger forum, I suppose that it should just close down, once the season for the Chargers is over. Hell, under that theory, we would not be allowed to to discuss the draft. A mock draft is completely made up and the opinion of the poster.

Topics that are not yet proven are generally discussed with opinions. It's not like people are actually making things up and calling them fact. If that were the case, then let the 'system' take care of any problems. I believe it's called slander if one makes up something about another that is false and causes detrimental reaction.

The topic you mentioned was a complete rumor. A good majority of the posters that replied, said the very same thing. The discussion mainly turned into a "what if" scenerio. With that switch in theories, it is easier to talk about it without accusations to anyone. Aside from certain posters that would do that to ANY topic, made-up or accurate.

*Edit: I replied to this before seeing the JW thread. However, it still doesn't change anything I said. It's not first, it's not the last, and it's not even the only rumor to garner a lot of attention from posters on this board..right now. Most posts get highjacked and go off topic anyway. Give it time, it will die on it's own.

thumper300zx
02-01-2009, 10:55 AM

I think you'll find the basic policy of RUMORS on any forum is -- if you aren't interested, don't become part of the discussion. While I agree it gets a bit boring to see gossippy type, he-said she said rumors go around on a football board, it is what it is.

timconnelly
02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
The problem is- football players are people with friends and family just like all of us are. That they get paid big wages and get lots of publicity is no excuse for justifying rumors that are often nothing more than pure slander.

Discussion is one thing. Offering up opinions on football related topics is wonderful. But it is simply wrong to allow anybody who chooses to make a personal attack the freedom to do so here. All I'm saying is to wait for substantiation from a reliable news outlet.

Chargersrmylife
02-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Now that would be dumb. We already get banned for stupid things already. Do we need to add more to the list?